ukcolt
03-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Looks like a 2 year deal worth up to a maximum of $15m

DrSpaceman
03-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Can he play guard or tackle?

ukcolt
03-19-2018, 09:23 PM
No but maybe we will have a shorter passing game which would help the line out tremendously

Butter
03-19-2018, 09:54 PM
Superbowl! /s

Dam8610
03-19-2018, 10:22 PM
Can he play guard or tackle?

He's a capable blocking tight end as well as a decent receiver.

Butter
03-19-2018, 10:26 PM
He's a capable blocking tight end as well as a decent receiver.

I don't watch the lions much, but the consensus I have seen is he is a pretty mediocre blocker and has a case of the dropsies. I have no real opinion and assume the contract is likely really a one year deal with an option and it is a position of need, I know Swoope, but that guy can't stay healthy when he barely plays so whatever.

GoBigBlue88
03-19-2018, 10:32 PM
I'm really intrigued by this. He has tons of athleticism but the scheme never really maximized him in DET. I love that he's coming here without being THE guy, either as a weapon or at TE. Reminds me of Eagles w/ Trey Burton -- he wasn't the guy at TE, but he was a mismatch weapon they could put in there depending on the situation.

Dam8610
03-19-2018, 10:47 PM
I'm really intrigued by this. He has tons of athleticism but the scheme never really maximized him in DET. I love that he's coming here without being THE guy, either as a weapon or at TE. Reminds me of Eagles w/ Trey Burton -- he wasn't the guy at TE, but he was a mismatch weapon they could put in there depending on the situation.

He's going into his age 25 season and has a ton of talent. Worst case scenario is he's a waste of about $8 million of cap space in what looks to be a season that the franchise isn't going to be very focused on the W-L record. Best case is you get a quality starting TE.

FatDT
03-19-2018, 11:50 PM
Hope it works out.

sherck
03-20-2018, 07:24 AM
From his NFL.com draft profile:
STRENGTHS Releases cleanly and accelerates into patterns. Outstanding athletic ability and receiving skills. Threatens every level. Advanced route runner. Pierces the seam and is a mismatch vs. man coverage -- regularly bested defensive backs. Terrific quickness, agility, balance and body control. Catches cleanly off his frame. Makes one-handed grabs look routine. Wide catching radius. Catches on the move and has an extra gear to pile up yards. Excellent production. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.
WEAKNESSES Lacks ideal bulk. Can improve as a blocker, both in-line and on the move -- could stand to improve technique, physicality and finish. Not equipped to lock horns with NFL defensive ends. Inconsistent adjusting to and fitting on moving targets. Could stand to play with more consistent intensity and focus. Makes the occasional concentration drop. Ordinary touchdown production. Can be loud, boisterous and overly egotistical, which will rub some people the wrong way.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1
BOTTOM LINE Highly athletic, highly productive "F" tight end loaded with upside and mismatch capability. Possesses the speed, movement skills, hands and run-after-catch skills to emerge as a playmaking weapon in the pros, though has room to continue developing as a blocker.
DRAFT ANALYSIS People ask me to compare him to Vernon Davis. He's not as quick or as twitchy as Davis, but he's a better athlete with better hands. Everything this kid does is easy. He is one of best athletes I've seen at that size. When you combine him with (the Lions' other tight ends) Joseph Fauria and Brandon Pettigrew, all of a sudden Matthew Stafford has a lot of weapons on that offense. -- Mike Mayock

First set = Eric Ebron. Second set = Jack Doyle's last 4 years.

2014 / 49 targets / 25 receptions / 51.0% catch rate / 022 targets / 18 receptions / 81.8% catch rate
2015 / 69 targets / 47 receptions / 68.1% catch rate / 014 targets / 12 receptions / 85.7% catch rate
2016 / 86 targets / 61 receptions / 70.9% catch rate / 075 targets / 59 receptions / 78.6% catch rate
2017 / 86 targets / 53 receptions / 61.7% catch rate / 107 targets / 80 receptions / 74.7% catch rate

Ebron has talent coming out of his ears. If he can allow himself to be led by Jack Doyle's example and improve his blocking and catch rate, he should excel in the type of offenses that PHI and SD uses (which is what I am assuming will be installed here).

Jack Doyle had the 6th best run blocking grade of all TEs in 2017 according to PFF. Ebron was the 36th ranked run blocker. If he can be led....

Honestly, I think this was a good signing. He has talent and now that we might have coaches.... It was a position of need for another quality body and we have a guy who has produced and started a lot of games in the NFL. He has averaged 45 catches, 500 yards and 3 TDs a season in 4 years.

I also agree that it will be interesting to see him where he is not "the guy" and just "a guy." The kind of pressure that can come with being drafted #10 overall, only TE drafted in 1st round and 3rd offensive speciality player picked (after Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans) could be pretty overwhelming.

Price is higher than I would have expected but then so are almost all the contracts that lower tier guys are getting. Moncrief at up to $11.5m for 1 year? Really?

Good signing.

Walk Worthy,

testcase448
03-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Bad hands...
That's what we need!

All that talent, speed, route running... bad hands

Dam8610
03-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Bad hands...
That's what we need!

All that talent, speed, route running... bad hands

He dropped 4 passes in one game and 5 for the rest of the season. Seems like a good buy low candidate based on people thinking he has drop problems. I'll take a 25 year old with his talent and perceived issues that are probably worse in perception than in reality, because that's how you find gems in free agency.

testcase448
03-20-2018, 10:41 AM
He dropped 4 passes in one game and 5 for the rest of the season. Seems like a good buy low candidate based on people thinking he has drop problems. I'll take a 25 year old with his talent and perceived issues that are probably worse in perception than in reality, because that's how you find gems in free agency.

Yep, take a risk on a known drop problem, let proven talent like Melvin go..

Got it
Rated number 11 of the worst fifty "droppers" in the NFL in 2017 (http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/the-nfl-players-with-the-worst-hands/collection_0582d242-80a1-5cb9-8cd4-959d7c3ff25e.html)

https://files.graphiq.com/stories/t4/Eric_Ebron_57703_29956.jpg
7 drops in 85 targets
8.24% drop rate
71.76% catch rate

Dam8610
03-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Yep, take a risk on a known drop problem, let proven talent like Melvin go..

Got it
Rated number 11 of the worst fifty "droppers" in the NFL in 2017 (http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/the-nfl-players-with-the-worst-hands/collection_0582d242-80a1-5cb9-8cd4-959d7c3ff25e.html)

https://files.graphiq.com/stories/t4/Eric_Ebron_57703_29956.jpg
7 drops in 85 targets
8.24% drop rate
71.76% catch rate

Proven talent? Melvin was the definition of journeyman before last season. He took a one year prove it deal because no team believed his 2017 wasn't a fluke. I'd rather take a chance on a player who clearly has talent and one perceived flaw.

rm1369
03-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Meh, probably not a horrible signing. Nothing to get excited about certainly. It’s the lack of other moves that makes you roll your eyes at this. It’s the idea that after finishing 4-12 and entering free agency with over $70m to spend they somehow are even more talent deficient than they were 3 weeks ago. They’ve lost the best two performers off one of the worst defenses in the league and still failed to address the horrendous OL that has been getting their franchise QB killed for years.

I completely understand that the bulk of your talent needs to come from the draft, but Jesus fucking Christ when you are this talent deficient in so many key areas and have so much cap space you have to add a piece or two - even if you have to over pay a little. Every team has overplayed players and the cap has been steadily rising. And you sure as hell can’t afford to cut 26 yr old players that are performing above average for you. Is someone really going to tell me Ebron is going to help the Colts more the Hankins would have? If so I’m not buying it. And I don’t buy that he didn’t fit the scheme. But if he didn’t then change the damn scheme. Good coaches make the best use of their talent. the Colts are in no position to throw away talent for nothing.

Not signing any decent OL and cutting Hankins leaves this team screwed for next year. Now, as everyone seems to be hoping for, the Colts must spend significant draft capital on the OL or go in to next year with Luck being beat up again. So what gets neglected? The damn defense with its holes everywhere. And Luck will still be operating behind rookies and journeymen.

It appears Ballard has decided this is a 3-4 yr rebuild and we’ll just waste some prime Luck years. Is it really impossible to find a middle ground between signing washed up vets to win now and hanging your entire future on “stacking 2, 3, 4 drafts” in a row? God help us if Ballard has a bad draft - you have to stack them to win anything. Certainly can’t use free agency to bring in any pieces worth keeping.

Sorry, I obviously find Ballard’s approach completely stupid. It feels as if he is more concerned with getting a bargain than building a team. Hopefully after another 4th place AFC south finish he’ll understand that ultimately no one gives a damn if a few players are overpaid, it takes talent to win. A roster of “good” contracts doesn’t mean shit. But I guess I should be happy they signed someone. A pass catching TE with bad hands. But at least we are putting the money we saved from Hankins to good use.

Brylok
03-20-2018, 11:14 AM
A lot of butthurt in this thread...smh.

rcubed
03-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Proven talent? Melvin was the definition of journeyman before last season. He took a one year prove it deal because no team believed his 2017 wasn't a fluke. I'd rather take a chance on a player who clearly has talent and one perceived flaw.
pretty big flaw though...

Indystu2
03-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Seems that people are quick to judge a work in progress. There is no, and never has been, a single offseason that can turn around a franchise that needs this much work. I get the ticking clock on Luck. I don't expect every move to be headline worthy. What I expect is a foundation of a winning culture. Who can possibly judge that in year 2 for a GM and really this is year 1 with the new staff.

Seriously guys. Relax. Have a homebrew. You are worse than a bunch of pissy old ladies who sit in the back row and scoff at everything new!

Dam8610
03-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Meh, probably not a horrible signing. Nothing to get excited about certainly. It’s the lack of other moves that makes you roll your eyes at this. It’s the idea that after finishing 4-12 and entering free agency with over $70m to spend they somehow are even more talent deficient than they were 3 weeks ago. They’ve lost the best two performers off one of the worst defenses in the league and still failed to address the horrendous OL that has been getting their franchise QB killed for years.

I completely understand that the bulk of your talent needs to come from the draft, but Jesus fucking Christ when you are this talent deficient in so many key areas and have so much cap space you have to add a piece or two - even if you have to over pay a little. Every team has overplayed players and the cap has been steadily rising. And you sure as hell can’t afford to cut 26 yr old players that are performing above average for you. Is someone really going to tell me Ebron is going to help the Colts more the Hankins would have? If so I’m not buying it. And I don’t buy that he didn’t fit the scheme. But if he didn’t then change the damn scheme. Good coaches make the best use of their talent. the Colts are in no position to throw away talent for nothing.

Not signing any decent OL and cutting Hankins leaves this team screwed for next year. Now, as everyone seems to be hoping for, the Colts must spend significant draft capital on the OL or go in to next year with Luck being beat up again. So what gets neglected? The damn defense with its holes everywhere. And Luck will still be operating behind rookies and journeymen.

It appears Ballard has decided this is a 3-4 yr rebuild and we’ll just waste some prime Luck years. Is it really impossible to find a middle ground between signing washed up vets to win now and hanging your entire future on “stacking 2, 3, 4 drafts” in a row? God help us if Ballard has a bad draft - you have to stack them to win anything. Certainly can’t use free agency to bring in any pieces worth keeping.

Sorry, I obviously find Ballard’s approach completely stupid. It feels as if he is more concerned with getting a bargain than building a team. Hopefully after another 4th place AFC south finish he’ll understand that ultimately no one gives a damn if a few players are overpaid, it takes talent to win. A roster of “good” contracts doesn’t mean shit. But I guess I should be happy they signed someone. A pass catching TE with bad hands. But at least we are putting the money we saved from Hankins to good use.

Or, maybe, he recognizes this is year 1 of a process he feels will take at least 2 years and would like to save cap space for when he better knows what the holes that need to be filled are?

Dam8610
03-20-2018, 12:25 PM
pretty big flaw though...

And if they can fix it, they can have an elite player.

rm1369
03-20-2018, 12:30 PM
A lot of butthurt in this thread...smh.

Nah, a lot of frustration in this thread. And rightly so IMO. The Colts have in place the most reliable route to being competitive - a franchise QB. With Luck coming back, $70m in cap space, and the #3 pick the Colts could have easily been in playoff contention next year - without hurting their future in any significant way. Instead they’ve lost their 2 best defenders from last year, have done nothing to keep their QB safe, and added a rotational DL and a pass catching TE w/ bad hands. It’s not that the two signings are bad it’s the complete willingness to mail in another year. With only scraps remaining in FA the Colts are less talented than they were 3 weeks ago. And they are sitting on significant cap space waiting for a few bargains to fall in their laps.

Ballard had two avenues to really improve this team and he has decided to nearly completely neglect one of them. Something he readily admits. So he better nail this draft. I’m really worried about that losing culture setting in. Everyone knows that shit breeds. Not to mention they lost their two best defensive players for the NFL equivalent of pennies while sitting on boatloads of cap space. Not a great way to motivate people or make anyone believe this is a place they want to play. Losing and penny pinching? Can’t see that combo being great for recruitment. Ballard likes to say it isn’t all about Luck and it looks like he’s taking that to heart. The most important person in the franchise seems to be an after thought to Ballard’s planning. Neglecting protection and willing to waste a few more years. At least their cap situation is the envy of the league.

rm1369
03-20-2018, 12:33 PM
And if they can fix it, they can have an elite player.

Which is more likely? Fixing Ebron’s hands after several years in the league? Or Haskins contributing to one of the worst Ds in the league? I know which I believe

Butter
03-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Which is more likely? Fixing Ebron’s hands after several years in the league? Or Haskins contributing to one of the worst Ds in the league? I know which I believe

I am not sure who Haskins is, but I do not recall anyone here thrilled about Hankins being released. Regardless one has nothing to do with the other you just seem to want to have a whiny rant.

Dam8610
03-20-2018, 12:47 PM

Never said I thought getting rid of Hankins was a good idea. Also, his drop "issue" appears to be mostly a single game, so I think there's a good chance of fixing that.

rm1369
03-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Or, maybe, he recognizes this is year 1 of a process he feels will take at least 2 years and would like to save cap space for when he better knows what the holes that need to be filled are?

So last year was already chalked up as a COMPLETELY wasted year? Why would that be? Can’t be because we kept Pagano - you think he’s a good coach. Yes Luck was hurt but that didn’t have any effect on Ballard’s ability to add talent thru the draft or free agency last year. So at best this is year 2 of a 3 year rebuild, not year 1 of a 2 year rebuild. Which means Ballard came into this with the idea of wasting 2-3 years of Lucks career in his prime, right?

Ultimately I agree - Ballard thinks it’s a long rebuild and is willing to sacrifice a few of Luck’s years in the process. I simply disagree. With a franchise QB in place their is no reason this team couldn’t be in playoff contention next year. That doesn’t require sacrificing your future. It requires overpaying a few pieces in free agency (that’s the nature of it) and building your scheme around the strengths of your players. Not cutting your best or second best defensive player because you don’t know how to use him. So yes this is more than likely a 3-4 year rebuild. But not because it was the only way. Or even the smart way. It’s a 3-4 year rebuild because Ballard decided it would be. And he’s making it be so.

rcubed
03-20-2018, 01:07 PM
So last year was already chalked up as a COMPLETELY wasted year? Why would that be? Can’t be because we kept Pagano - you think he’s a good coach. Yes Luck was hurt but that didn’t have any effect on Ballard’s ability to add talent thru the draft or free agency last year. So at best this is year 2 of a 3 year rebuild, not year 1 of a 2 year rebuild. Which means Ballard came into this with the idea of wasting 2-3 years of Lucks career in his prime, right?

Ultimately I agree - Ballard thinks it’s a long rebuild and is willing to sacrifice a few of Luck’s years in the process. I simply disagree. With a franchise QB in place their is no reason this team couldn’t be in playoff contention next year. That doesn’t require sacrificing your future. It requires overpaying a few pieces in free agency (that’s the nature of it) and building your scheme around the strengths of your players. Not cutting your best or second best defensive player because you don’t know how to use him. So yes this is more than likely a 3-4 year rebuild. But not because it was the only way. Or even the smart way. It’s a 3-4 year rebuild because Ballard decided it would be. And he’s making it be so.
Its not wasting luck, he needs time to build a good team. It is what it is.

Grigson tried to go for it quick when we had early success and that ultimately failed. Sure that was in large part due to inept coaching, but its still not a good strategy.

QBs are playing much longer into their careers. If ballard can build a sustained winner for a decade, then I will give him this upfront time to build that.

rm1369
03-20-2018, 01:19 PM
I am not sure who Haskins is, but I do not recall anyone here thrilled about Hankins being released. Regardless one has nothing to do with the other you just seem to want to have a whiny rant.

Sorry, autocorrect catches the names often. Ebron has repeatedly been Enron to if I don’t catch it.

So expressing an opinion is being whiny? Understood. I guess this whole fucking forum was whiny about Grigson. And Pagano. I’m expressing an opinion. I assume you don’t like it. But I’m going to state it again - Ebron as a signing is fine, but overall Ballard’s approach to free agency is guaranteeing a long rebuild and a couple wasted years of Lucks career. If you are cool with that, then great. I’m not. I think it’s stupid and unnecessarily inflexible. The same way I think cutting Hankins was stupid and unnecessarily inflexible. And it looks bad when projecting forward for both Ballard and this mashed together inexperienced coaching staff. I’m sorry I don’t see everything through blue tinted glasses. But I loved the trade with the Jets and I didn’t even need them.

testcase448
03-20-2018, 01:27 PM
I'd rather take a chance on a player who clearly has talent and one perceived flaw.

"one perceived flaw"

They aren't "perceived" and there are at least two, one on the end of each of his arms.

Then there is the blocking thing... that makes three.

They let all this "talent" go after trying to fix these "perceived" problems. A 25 year old first round with lots of talent

rm1369
03-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Its not wasting luck, he needs time to build a good team. It is what it is.

Grigson tried to go for it quick when we had early success and that ultimately failed. Sure that was in large part due to inept coaching, but its still not a good strategy.

QBs are playing much longer into their careers. If ballard can build a sustained winner for a decade, then I will give him this upfront time to build that.

There is plenty of space between Grigsons approach and Ballard’s. I’m not advocating a spending spree for stop gap veterans meant to put the team over a hump. I’m saying there was enough talent in free agency and enough cap space to fill a few holes with above replacement level players. Would you have had to overpay? Absolutely. That’s the nature of free agency. You can’t build a team through it, but you sure as hell can add important pieces to it. Especially when you have the most important piece in place - a franchise QB. This was not the Cleveland Browns. Not when you have Luck in place. I sure as hell hope Luck is as patient with his career and health as you are. He’s going to be throwing 40+ times again next year behind what is at best an inexperienced line (assuming they use their picks there) and at worst another shitty one.

testcase448
03-20-2018, 01:51 PM
There is plenty of space between Grigsons approach and Ballard’s. I’m not advocating a spending spree for stop gap veterans meant to put the team over a hump. I’m saying there was enough talent in free agency and enough cap space to fill a few holes with above replacement level players. Would you have had to overpay? Absolutely. That’s the nature of free agency. You can’t build a team through it, but you sure as hell can add important pieces to it. Especially when you have the most important piece in place - a franchise QB. This was not the Cleveland Browns. Not when you have Luck in place. I sure as hell hope Luck is as patient with his career and health as you are. He’s going to be throwing 40+ times again next year behind what is at best an inexperienced line (assuming they use their picks there) and at worst another shitty one.

My complaint isn't not signing and over paying other people's free agents. It's letting players go that were likely better than they're bringing in creating new holes in this swiss cheese franchise

FatDT
03-20-2018, 03:01 PM
I don't think it's at all ridiculous to question Ballard this offseason. He's made some good decisions, I haven't completely written him off. But he's also

- cut Vontae Davis for some reason
- cut John Hankins for some reason
- ignored or whiffed on the top OL options in FA two years in a row
- tried to hire a dickhead that we all now universally revile in McDaniels, supposedly after a full year of relationship building

To me those are not winning moves. I'm happy with the extra draft picks, but I'm not thrilled that the FA strategy is going to force the team to target certain positions in the draft based on roster need. It wasn't necessary.

And it's clear Ballard knows the OL isn't good enough. He wouldn't have tried to get Norwell, Jensen, or Pugh if he thought otherwise. But he couldn't close any of those despite the most cap space we've ever had as a team.

Yeah it's too early to say Ballard is a clown, that he sucks, that he should be fired. But there's plenty of reason to question his decision-making. I've said from the beginning I'd trust him until he gave me a reason not to, and he's now given Colts fans multiple reasons to at least wonder about his judgement.

rm1369
03-20-2018, 03:17 PM
My complaint isn't not signing and over paying other people's free gents. It's letting players go that were likely better than they're bringing in creating new holes in this swiss cheese franchise

I have much less issue with not resigning Melvin than you seem to, but I was absolutely livid at the Haskins release. Melvin wanted a big payday after one big year and that’s risky. I get it. But we’ve also done jack shit to try to fill that or any other hole through free agency. And then went and created another hole on the DL because the coaching staff can’t figure out how to use one of the few above average players the D actually has. All to save some money that they have absolutely no intention of spending. And there is no one left to spend it on even if they wanted to.

I sure hope Hooker and Wilson match up to the teams ideal visions for their positions. Hate to seem them cut for not matching up. Sound ridiculous? Absolutely, but is the Haskins release really significantly different? I don’t think so.

rcubed
03-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Sorry, autocorrect catches the names often. Ebron has repeatedly been Enron to if I don’t catch it.

So expressing an opinion is being whiny? Understood. I guess this whole fucking forum was whiny about Grigson. And Pagano. I’m expressing an opinion. I assume you don’t like it. But I’m going to state it again....

sounds whiny

rcubed
03-20-2018, 03:48 PM
I dont completely disagree. All I really wanted two OL signed in FA and hoping norwell was one. A decent LB would have been nice.

rm1369
03-20-2018, 04:36 PM
sounds whiny

I prefer bitchy to whiny. Would more cursing help?

rm1369
03-20-2018, 04:59 PM
I dont completely disagree. All I really wanted two OL signed in FA and hoping norwell was one. A decent LB would have been nice.

Signing some OL help would have been ideal. I hate the idea of putting more rookies in front of Luck and hoping they get it and jell. But after two free agent periods of Ballard running things that seems to be the only option left for fixing the line this year.

I’ve been against using a high draft pick on a guard, but at this point they might as well - they’ll have a high pick again next year. Maybe then they can address more impact positions like pass rusher. I’ll admit before hand that I’m going to lose my shit if they end up with Barkley. I’d have lost all faith in Ballard at that point.

Butter
03-20-2018, 09:12 PM
I am more ok with a guard at 6 than I was at 3, I will not flip out about Barkley at 6, but I really feel like a team is as well off with RB by committee and using high 1st rounders on many other positions.

YDFL Commish
03-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Yeah it's too early to say Ballard is a clown, that he sucks, that he should be fired. But there's plenty of reason to question his decision-making. I've said from the beginning I'd trust him until he gave me a reason not to, and he's now given Colts fans multiple reasons to at least wonder about his judgement.

I'll wonder about his judgement when the W/L record tells me I should wonder about his judgement. Not when he doesn't do what a lot of fans on a message board, think he should do.

Also, last season doesn't count, when you have a lame duck POS coach, running an antiquated offensive system and your best player on the sidelines the entire year.

FatDT
03-20-2018, 11:13 PM
I'll wonder about his judgement when the W/L record tells me I should wonder about his judgement. Not when he doesn't do what a lot of fans on a message board, think he should do.

Also, last season doesn't count, when you have a lame duck POS coach, running an antiquated offensive system and your best player on the sidelines the entire year.

That's your right. I would personally feel ridiculous typing what you just did, but do what you want.

Colts And Orioles
08-25-2018, 06:00 PM
o

Ebron in action against the 49ers, in what is essentially the last meaningful exhibition game of 2018.

http://a2.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0825%2Fr419934_1296x518_5% 2D2.jpg&w=628&h=251&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=center

o

sherck
08-27-2018, 06:18 AM
That was a nice TD catch for Ebron.

Sure, the scheme rubbed him open but he still made a nice cut, located the ball in the air and had some NICE body control to twist around and make the grab.

If he can play in the regular season like he did in pre-season, we have our "Ken Dilger - Marcus Pollard" duo back in the form of the field stretching Ebron and the always dependable underneath Doyle.

Hilton, Doyle, Ebron, Running Back is a solid core for Luck to be throwing to. Hopefully, one of the WRs steps up during the first half of the season and becomes a force as well.

Walk Worthy,

Colts And Orioles
09-11-2018, 11:06 AM
o

Ebron scored the first touchdown of the Colts' 2018 season on Sunday, against the Bengals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc0A2IjzM_M

o

Spike
09-11-2018, 01:00 PM

With all due respect, we are not just your average fans on a message board. We are Colt Freaks and we know more than most general managers.

DrSpaceman
09-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Ebron should be a red zone beast in this offense.

Not sure why on the first drive he was not targeted.

JAFF
09-11-2018, 05:49 PM
With all due respect, we are not just your average fans on a message board. We are Colt Freaks and we know more than most general managers.

Its nice to know I'm not alone. LOL

YDFL Commish
09-11-2018, 09:23 PM

Yeah, I know, even the good GM's aren't a match for this crowd.

Colts And Orioles
09-17-2018, 02:53 AM
o

Ebon has shown flashes of potential stardom in the first 2 games of his Colts career.

o

Dam8610
09-17-2018, 03:15 AM
o

Ebon has shown flashes of potential stardom in the first 2 games of his NFL career.

o

He's been in the NFL for several years now.

Colts And Orioles
09-30-2018, 04:00 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 9/30)

Ebron made a great catch for a TD with 7 minutes and change left to play in the 4th quarter, bringing the Colts to within striking distance at 28-23.

o

rcubed
10-01-2018, 11:45 AM
that was a nice catch, but I am still "meh" on ebron

DrSpaceman
10-01-2018, 11:47 AM
He is hit and miss.

Had had key drops as well.

I am glad he is on the team since Doyle has been injured though

Colts And Orioles
10-01-2018, 12:31 PM
That was a nice catch, but I am still "meh" on Ebron.

He is hit and miss.

he had had key drops, as well.

I am glad that he is on the team since Doyle has been injured, though.

o

Fair points, he has also had some struggles mixed in with his high-profile catches in this still very young season so far.

o

Colts And Orioles
10-04-2018, 11:41 PM
o

(vs. PATRIOTS, 10/04)

Ebron had a career-high 109 yards receiving tonight.

It was scary when he limped off of the field after making a good catch late in the 3rd quarter, but he was able to return to the game and play ........ so hopefully, it's nothing serious.

Incidentally, Erik Swoope had a pretty good game in his own right. One of his 3 catches was very acrobatic/Lynn Swann-like.

o

Colts And Orioles
10-21-2018, 01:48 PM
o

(vs. PATRIOTS, 10/04)

Ebron had a career-high 109 yards receiving tonight.

It was scary when he limped off of the field after making a good catch late in the 3rd quarter, but he was able to return to the game and play ........ so hopefully, it's nothing serious.

Incidentally, Erik Swoope had a pretty good game in his own right. One of his 3 catches was very acrobatic/Lynn Swann-like.

o
o

2 games later, against the Bills ........ Swoope made a very good catch in the end zone to open the scoring against the Bills.

The Ebron/Swoope TE combination this season has been pretty good overall, albeit with some drops from Ebron.

o

ukcolt
10-21-2018, 04:59 PM
o

2 games later, against the Bills ........ Swoope made a very good catch in the end zone to open the scoring against the Bills.

The Ebron/Swoope TE combination this season has been pretty good overall, albeit with some drops from from Ebron.

o

As a receiving threat i agree, but we have been using LeRaven Clark quite a bit as a 6th lineman, as they are both below average as in-line blockers, which is where Doyle creates greater mis-matches.

Colts And Orioles
10-28-2018, 07:06 PM
o

(vs. RAIDERS, 10/28)

Ebron had 3 catches today, one of which was an excellent TD reception.

Jack Doyle had an excellent day in his return from injury, snaring 6 passes for 70 yards and 1 TD.

Mo Alie-Cox had an amazing 1-handed catch for a TD, which was reminiscent of Pierre Garcon's amazing one-handed catch against the Redskins on Monday Night Football in 2010.

o

Colts And Orioles
11-13-2018, 03:33 PM
o

(vs. JAGUARS, 11/04)

Ebron had 3 catches overall, netting 69 yards and 2 TD's.

In the first quarter alone, he had 3 TD's (2 receiving, 1 rushing.)

On one of his TD receptions he showed outstanding body control and balance, tight-roping the sidelines long enough to successfully dive inside of the pylon for the score.

In his 2nd game since returning from injury, Jack Doyle caught all 3 passes of which he was targeted with.

Mo Alie-Cox caught 2 passes (one of which was a TD), but he also had 2 drops of balls that were right in his hands, one of which resulted in a momentum-crushing INT early in the 4th quarter. That drop/INT negated the probability of the Colts getting at least 3 points (and possibly 7) at a time in which any kind of score would have given them a 2-possession lead ........ fortunately, the defense (which had been shaky for most of the game) made the 29 points in which the Colts scored in the first half hold up by forcing a punt, a FG attempt, and getting a fumble recovery in the Jaguars' final 3 possessions of the game.

o

Chromeburn
11-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Ebron leads the NFL in touchdowns for a TE. I would say at this pace he is destined for the pro bowl.

YDFL Commish
11-13-2018, 08:24 PM
My only question with Ebron, is why does he play such a low percentage of the offensive snaps? He routinely plays less than 25% of the offensive snaps.

Butter
11-13-2018, 10:57 PM
My only question with Ebron, is why does he play such a low percentage of the offensive snaps? He routinely plays less than 25% of the offensive snaps.

He sucks at blocking?

YDFL Commish
11-14-2018, 12:07 AM
He sucks at blocking?

But yet, he's better than any WR we put on the field, not named Hilton.

IndyNorm
11-17-2018, 09:26 AM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2018/11/14/eric-ebron-thriving-indianapolis-colts-specialized-role/2000634002/

Article from IndyStar on why Ebron isn't playing more. I get that he may not be the best blocker, but he's been pretty unstoppable as a receiver. The coaches really need to work him in more, especially when the O goes stagnant like it did in the 2nd half last week.

albany ed
11-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Here's a scouting report on him:

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nfl/player/11083

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Smooth, fluid, and a great athlete overall at tight end. Has deceptively excellent speed, runs efficient routes, catches the ball in stride, and accelerates impressively downfield. A big-play tight end, both in receiving ability and in deep-play potential. Has ideal raw size and the athleticism to be a star.
Flaws: Still needs to add more tools as a blocker, especially in terms of effort, technique, and physical bulk. While fluid and fast, he doesn't regularly show explosive quickness. Has the tools to be more physical with opponents in general.
Career Potential: Pass-catching 'move' tight end with stellar tools.

Just a theory on my part, but the fact that he's not playing more could be the carrot that gets him working harder on his blocking.

1965southpaw
11-17-2018, 12:57 PM
Lol......patsy learned how to be a douche well from the master douchebag.....

While a Lions team desperate for meaningful production out of the tight end position tumbled to its third straight loss Sunday, Ebron was catching two touchdown passes and running for another score in another brilliant showing. The performance prompted a Detroit Free-Press columnist to ask first-year Lions head coach Matt Patricia if Detroit regrets the decision to cut Ebron last March, given the way he’s playing now.

“I’m not really sure what he’s doing with the Colts,” Patricia said. “Or what the Colts are doing with him right now.”

Pez
11-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Lol......patsy learned how to be a douche well from the master douchebag.....

While a Lions team desperate for meaningful production out of the tight end position tumbled to its third straight loss Sunday, Ebron was catching two touchdown passes and running for another score in another brilliant showing. The performance prompted a Detroit Free-Press columnist to ask first-year Lions head coach Matt Patricia if Detroit regrets the decision to cut Ebron last March, given the way he’s playing now.

“I’m not really sure what he’s doing with the Colts,” Patricia said. “Or what the Colts are doing with him right now.”

Yea, bullshit... I'm prety sure Matt Patricia or his staff knows exactly what's going on with every team. I like MP, but that doesn't mean I cant smell it.

Pez
11-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Man, I just checked is stats, and in 4 years at Detroit he has 11 TDs, this year he has 9.

Coaching might matter.

Dam8610
11-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Man, I just checked is stats, and in 4 years at Detroit he has 11 TDs, this year he has 9.

Coaching might matter.

To player development? Absolutely.

Dam8610
11-17-2018, 03:13 PM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2018/11/14/eric-ebron-thriving-indianapolis-colts-specialized-role/2000634002/

Article from IndyStar on why Ebron isn't playing more. I get that he may not be the best blocker, but he's been pretty unstoppable as a receiver. The coaches really need to work him in more, especially when the O goes stagnant like it did in the 2nd half last week.

If they're that concerned about his blocking, run 3 TE and split Ebron out wide. He has the speed to create matchup problems there, and he's better than any WR not named T.Y. Hilton on the team.

Pez
11-17-2018, 03:25 PM
If they're that concerned about his blocking, run 3 TE and split Ebron out wide. He has the speed to create matchup problems there, and he's better than any WR not named T.Y. Hilton on the team.Maybe it is just me, but I have always thought he was slow....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dam8610
11-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I have always thought he was slow....

A 4.6 40 isn't slow at 6'4" 250.

JAFF
11-17-2018, 04:27 PM
A 4.6 40 isn't slow at 6'4" 250.

It's a lot of momentum for a corner or safety

Colts And Orioles
11-26-2018, 03:08 PM
o

(vs. DOLPHINS, 11/25)

Ebron had 5 catches overall, including 2 for TD's.

Believe it or not, Ebron tied Dallas Clark for the franchise record for TD receptions by a tight end in a single season (11) ........ and the Colts still have 5 games left to play.

Hall-of-Famer John Mackey had 9 TD receptions in a 14-game season for the Baltimore Colts in 1966.

In this article, Ebron talks about his admiration for Clark when he was growing up.

Ebron Ties Team's Touchdown Record

(By Akeem Glaspie)

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/11/25/indianapolis-colts-te-eric-ebron-ties-dallas-clarks-touchdown-record-vs-dolphins/2079885002/#/questions

o

Chaka
11-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Maybe it is just me, but I have always thought he was slow....

Here's his NFL draft profile, which in retrospect seems pretty accurate (except, of course, the criticism that he provides only "ordinary touchdown production"):

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/eric-ebron?id=2543466

GoBigBlue88
11-27-2018, 12:14 PM
I like when we bump the threads where I'm right!

Luck4Reich
11-27-2018, 12:32 PM
I like when we bump the threads where I'm right!

C&O brings damn near every thread back from the dead so everyone gets that chance.lol

Colts And Orioles
12-09-2018, 03:29 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 12/09)

It was only one play, but I loved it because ........ as much as dumb football drives me up a wall, smart football deserves to be complimented.

With the ball deep in Texans territory late in the 2nd quarter, Ebron showed excellent situational awareness ........ in addition to getting down to the ground to catch a ball that was thrown low by Andrew Luck, he then rolled over towards the goal line, knowing that it was near.

First and foremost, catch the ball ........ secondly, know where you are on the field (near the first down sticks, near the sidelines, near the goal line, etc.)

o

Chromeburn
12-09-2018, 04:11 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 12/09)

It was only one play, but I loved it because ........ as much as dumb football drives me up a wall, smart football deserves to be complimented.

With the ball deep in Texans territory late in the 2nd quarter, Ebron showed excellent situational awareness ........ in addition to getting down to the ground to catch a ball that was thrown low by Andrew Luck, he then rolled over towards the goal line, knowing that it was near.

First and foremost, catch the ball ........ secondly, know where you are on the field (near the first down sticks, near the sidelines, near the goal line, etc.)

o

That ball was thrown behind him, he made a great adjustment to catch it which caused him to go down. Reminded me of that Harrison play where they forgot to touch him down and he ran for a TD.

Colts And Orioles
12-11-2018, 08:23 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 12/09)

o
o

2 days later ........

With Jack Doyle out for the season and Erik Swoope waived, I suspect that Ebron will get plenty of playing time down the home stretch.

o

Colts And Orioles
12-20-2018, 12:57 PM
o

With 2 games still left to be played, Ebron has more than twice as many TD receptions (12) than his previous career high (5, when he played for the Lions in 2015.)

Eric Ebron’s Breakout Season Results in First Pro Bowl Selection

(By Andrew Walker)

https://www.colts.com/news/eric-ebron-s-breakout-season-results-in-first-pro-bowl-selection

o

Colts And Orioles
12-25-2018, 07:41 PM
o

(vs. DOLPHINS, 11/25)

Ebron had 5 catches overall, including 2 for TD's.

Believe it or not, Ebron tied Dallas Clark for the franchise record for TD receptions by a tight end in a single season (11) ........ and the Colts still have 5 games left to play.

Hall-of-Famer John Mackey had 9 TD receptions in a 14-game season for the Baltimore Colts in 1966.

In this article, Ebron talks about his admiration for Clark when he was growing up.

Ebron Ties Team's Touchdown Record

(By Akeem Glaspie)

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/11/25/indianapolis-colts-te-eric-ebron-ties-dallas-clarks-touchdown-record-vs-dolphins/2079885002/#/questions

o
o

Ebron broke the franchise record for TD receptions by a tight end with a catch and score against the Texans on December 9th.

With Doyle out for the season and Swoope having been cut, he was the only Colts tight end with any receptions (3) in their win over the Giants on Sunday, although he had 1 notable drop of a pass that was right in his hands.

o

Colts And Orioles
01-06-2019, 01:10 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 1/05) )) (Wildcard Playoff)

Ebron's TD reception on the very first drive of the game opened the scoring for the Colts.

He nearly had an amazing catch for another TD later in the first half, even after the Justin Reid jarred the ball loose from him with a big hit. Fortunately, Luck threw a TD pass on the very next play to teammate Dontrelle Inman.

o

FatDT
01-06-2019, 02:23 PM
o

(vs. TITANS, 1/05) )) (Wildcard Playoff)

Ebron's TD reception on the very first drive of the game opened the scoring for the Colts.

He nearly had an amazing catch for another TD later in the first half, even after the Justin Reid jarred the ball loose from him with a big hit. Fortunately, Luck threw a TD pass on the very next play to teammate Dontrelle Inman.

o

Reid paid the price for that hit too. Ebron just walked back to the huddle, Reid didn’t get up for a while.

Colts And Orioles
01-06-2019, 03:31 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 1/05) )) (Wildcard Playoff)

o

Reid paid the price for that hit, too. Ebron just walked back to the huddle, Reid didn’t get up for a while.

o

Yes ........ Reid took one for the team, so it was a good play by both Reid and Ebron.

My comment was more about that fact that Ebron did an excellent job of concentrating in spite of getting hit AND the defender getting his hands on the ball (ala Lynn Swann in Super Bowl X), rather than who got the better of the contact.

o

Chaka
01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure why I find this funny, but Ebron resents Houston for their sole TD yesterday:

https://twitter.com/Ebron85/status/1082023357380550656

Colts And Orioles
01-06-2019, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure why I find this funny, but Ebron resents Houston for their sole TD yesterday:

o

Generally speaking, it's best to complain about officiating after a win ........ that way, they can't write it off as "sour grapes", as if often done when players and/or coaches complain after a loss.

I'm not saying that complaints after a loss are not legitimate (they often are), but it's impossible to simply dismiss complaints as that of coming from a sore loser after a win.

o

Dam8610
01-06-2019, 06:58 PM

Is CH actually Jack Doyle (@JackDoyle is the handle)? Because he started cutting up the Lions fans that came in to rag on Ebron.

Colts And Orioles
01-12-2019, 08:59 PM
o

(vs. CHIEFS, 1/12) )) (Divisional Playoff)

Ebron had a BIG DROP on 3rd down, on the Colts' very first series of the game ........ that drop, and the 2 quick touchdowns that the Chiefs scored afterward set the tone for today's game.

For the day, he had 5 catches for 51 yards.

o

Gimmick
01-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Ebron had a great season, and he was a great addition to the team. But since he's kind of an athletic but weak TE (Reich limits his snap count and tries to use him more on passing downs) I can't help but wonder if he was just soft and weak for this game. Didn't even show up, never held onto the football, couldn't take a hit. That might be a real problem .

rcubed
01-12-2019, 09:59 PM
We know what we have in him. Great in the redzone, question mark in between. Overall a a weapon but needs to be managed as long as he continues with stupid drops.

Butter
01-12-2019, 10:10 PM
We know what we have in him. Great in the redzone, question mark in between. Overall a a weapon but needs to be managed as long as he continues with stupid drops.

Yep and fro what we are paying him he is a Bargain. 2 yr 13mil, all the guarantee was the first season. He has been worth every penny and I expect he will be next year.

Chromeburn
01-12-2019, 10:13 PM
We should be adding weapons, not subtracting them.

Coltsalr
01-12-2019, 10:51 PM
We should be adding weapons, not subtracting them.

Anyone suggesting we dump Ebron should be banned.

And Gimmick should just be banned in general.

DrSpaceman
01-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Doyle and Ebron make a good combination

Outside the red zone, throw to Doyle. He doesn't drop it

In the Red zone, throw to Ebron.

Butter
01-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Losing Doyle really hurt this offense.

Brylok
01-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Anyone suggesting we dump Ebron should be banned.

And Gimmick should just be banned in general.

Gimmick is just an average troll. It's irritating, and I will call it out, but it hasn't done anything egregious... other than being born (its poor mom). We don't need to ban it yet

rm1369
01-13-2019, 11:35 AM
Ebron is great when allowed to be an “icing” type player and he’s mediocre when required to be a full time contributor. Reich and Ballard both recognize it. Hell, to his credit, I think Ebron does to. That’s why Reich’s pitch to him was a factor in his signing. A player that doesn’t understand his limitations would have likely been offended by it. Unless he demands to be paid like a true, full time Pro Bowl TE I hope the fans don’t turn on him. He is who he is, and when allowed to be used correctly he’s a hell of a weapon.

JAFF
01-13-2019, 03:17 PM
Ebron is great when allowed to be an “icing” type player and he’s mediocre when required to be a full time contributor. Reich and Ballard both recognize it. Hell, to his credit, I think Ebron does to. That’s why Reich’s pitch to him was a factor in his signing. A player that doesn’t understand his limitations would have likely been offended by it. Unless he demands to be paid like a true, full time Pro Bowl TE I hope the fans don’t turn on him. He is who he is, and when allowed to be used correctly he’s a hell of a weapon.

Why not just play him at WR? Walk him out wide and see who follows him. If he gets a short CB, it's an advantage. They walk out a LB, it's an advantage.

daedge
01-13-2019, 03:22 PM

Unless you're talking about the 2017 version of Doyle, the one which fumbled and dropped balls.

That said, I agree.