PDA

View Full Version : Colts trade #3 with Jets

1965southpaw
03-17-2018, 11:05 AM
We drop to 6 and pick up two more picks in the second round and something in 2019.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/17/indianapolis-colts-trade-no-3-overall-pick-new-york-jets-2018nfl-draft/

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/975020658945118208/photo/1

dwilli57
03-17-2018, 11:06 AM
http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Indianapolis-Colts-Acquire-Four-Draft-Picks-From-Jets-In-Exchange-For-No-3-Overall-Pick/6ffadc71-3dbf-4219-9bd8-b2dfc1857633

Here's a little more...if the link works. Says 3 in '18, 1 in '19.

Dewey 5
03-17-2018, 11:08 AM
We drop to 6 and pick up two more picks in the second round and something in 2019.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/17/indianapolis-colts-trade-no-3-overall-pick-new-york-jets-2018nfl-draft/

Also jets 2nd in 2019

falloutboy14
03-17-2018, 11:14 AM
At least this makes things much more clear. I wonder if we could have gotten more from Buffalo if we had waited (12 & 21). But picking 6 you still can almost guarantee one of Chubb/Barkley/Nelson are there.

For reference, last year the bears moved from 3 to 2. Cost them a 3, 4, and future 3.

smitty46953
03-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Sweet !!! :cool:

Wyatt
03-17-2018, 11:16 AM
To drop only 3 spots in the draft, where one of Barkley/Chubb/Nelson is a lock to be at and gain the 3 extra 2nd round picks is a no brainer! Could even trade back again and keep stacking up those picks... Just wouldn't want to drop too far and miss out on a potential all pro. We now have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds of the next 2 drafts and aside from Vinny probably the youngest team in the league!

Dewey 5
03-17-2018, 11:19 AM
At least this makes things much more clear. I wonder if we could have gotten more from Buffalo if we had waited (12 & 21). But picking 6 you still can almost guarantee one of Chubb/Barkley/Nelson are there.

For reference, last year the bears moved from 3 to 2. Cost them a 3, 4, and future 3.

I think once the bills signed AJ McCarron they were out of the qb derby to move up.

VeveJones007
03-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Posted about this yesterday. Possible that Chubb is still there. If not him, probably Nelson or Smith, or another trade down to the Bills. Solid move on the surface, but let’s see the package of players.

VeveJones007
03-17-2018, 11:20 AM
That’s a huge haul. 6, 37, 49, and next years 2nd.

Indiana V2
03-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Well, at least this I can get behind, may not get Chubb, but we can add a lot more pieces.

smitty46953
03-17-2018, 11:37 AM
That’s a huge haul. 6, 37, 49, and next years 2nd.

Draft value chart
1.3 = 2200

1.06 = 1600
2.05 = 530
2.17 = 410
= 2540 + 2019 2nd is great value

:cool:

Coltsalr
03-17-2018, 11:44 AM
This team is so talent bereft, it HAD to happen. Maximizing our capital in terms of potential impact players was absolutely necessary.

Now Ballard has to MAKE those picks. I was pretty happy with what he did in the 1st/2nd Round last year. He needs to repeat that.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not done yet. With #36/37 back to back, we have a lot of ammo to come trading back into the first round.

smitty46953
03-17-2018, 11:54 AM
If we hold at 1.6 (1600 pts) till draft day, Ballard may still get calls to move back again.

Bills perhaps with 1.12 and 1.22 (1980 pts)
or
Dolphins 1.11, 2.10, 3.9 (1955 pts)

GoBigBlue88
03-17-2018, 11:54 AM
There aren't words to express how brilliant I think this is. Not just cuz he traded back, but because he only traded back to freaking SIXTH overall with 4 QBs likely to go before.

No guarantee of course, but Colts could still end up with Chubb ... plus 2 additional second rounders plus future capital.

Or they could move up to get someone with that capital if they want.

Or they could acquire even more picks.

This is how you GM.

njcoltfan
03-17-2018, 11:55 AM
If the Colts can still land Chubb then this is a fantastic trade, I woulda not want to trade out of this position. Good work Mr. Ballard!!!!

smitty46953
03-17-2018, 12:18 PM
http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Trading-Places-Colts-General-Manager-Chris-Ballard-Talks-SwappingAcquiring-Picks-with-NY-Jets/341cce10-8cb0-47d0-948c-b7774b451d29

Ballard talking about the trade ... :cool:

YDFL Commish
03-17-2018, 12:24 PM
http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Trading-Places-Colts-General-Manager-Chris-Ballard-Talks-SwappingAcquiring-Picks-with-NY-Jets/341cce10-8cb0-47d0-948c-b7774b451d29

Ballard talking about the trade ... :cool:

Interesting choice of words by Ballard. "The player that we think we are gonna get".

He has one particular player in mind, and that player has to be Chubb?

rcubed
03-17-2018, 12:29 PM
I like this trade a lot. I hope we stay at 6 though.

smitty46953
03-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Interesting choice of words by Ballard. "The player that we think we are gonna get".

He has one particular player in mind, and that player has to be Chubb?

I hope it's Nelson, but would be good with either one Nelson or Chubb ... :cool:

1965southpaw
03-17-2018, 12:34 PM
The scuttlebutt here in Jersey is that the Colts got the better end of the deal (no shit Sherlock) and the reason the Jests didn't want to wait until Colts were on the clock to pull the trigger is because Ballard was actively negotiating with their division rival (Buffalo) as well and insisted on closing the deal ahead of the draft or else he'd take it north to Buffalo.

Side note....if Chubb is taken in the top 5 I think he may pull the trigger with Buffalo and try to take Nelson at 12 vs. "overpaying" for him at 6.

YDFL Commish
03-17-2018, 12:37 PM
I like this trade a lot. I hope we stay at 6 though.

It's an awesome trade. I believe it would take an almost unbelievable from the Bills for Ballard to move out of 6.

I hope that this trade has simmered down some of the absurd talk that Ballard doesn't know wtf he's doing.

Now Ballard has a chance to get Chubb, and in the 2nd round,Michel and possibly 2 quality O-linemen.

VeveJones007
03-17-2018, 12:40 PM
The scuttlebutt here in Jersey is that the Colts got the better end of the deal (no shit Sherlock) and the reason the Jests didn't want to wait until Colts were on the clock to pull the trigger is because Ballard was actively negotiating with their division rival (Buffalo) as well and insisted on closing the deal ahead of the draft or else he'd take it north to Buffalo.

Side note....if Chubb is taken in the top 5 I think he may pull the trigger with Buffalo and try to take Nelson at 12 vs. "overpaying" for him at 6.

Nelson won’t get past 8 to Chicago.

VeveJones007
03-17-2018, 12:41 PM
It's an awesome trade. I believe it would take an almost unbelievable from the Bills for Ballard to move out of 6.

I hope that this trade has simmered down some of the absurd talk that Ballard doesn't know wtf he's doing.

Now Ballard has a chance to get Chubb, and in the 2nd round,Michel and possibly 2 quality O-linemen.

Could also move a couple picks to move back into the 1st for an OT or LB.

Oldcolt
03-17-2018, 12:46 PM
For me easily the best part of this trade is what it says about Luck. Don’t think you would trade out if you were concerned about Luck being able to play. Great move by Ballard. Love how he goes about his business. Has a plan, sticks to it (not overpaying free agents and working the draft). Going on o be a fun year for us

smitty46953
03-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Chicago won't let Nelson drop past #8, they hired the ND Line coach and know what he can be ... :cool:

smitty46953
03-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Could also move a couple picks to move back into the 1st for an OT or LB.

Like see them get Nelson at #6 and trade back up for McGlinchey our line would be fixed ... :cool:

Chromeburn
03-17-2018, 12:50 PM
This is a tremendous haul of picks for 3 spots. Well done Ballard. QB's drive up the prices. The Jets obviously like someone more than the others (which is what happens) and they wanted to make sure they get him. My guess is Rosen.

Anyway, yeah we could trade again if a team is desperate for one of the last QB's. And we still will have a shot at the top four non-qb's. Also there is Smith and Edwards to consider.

Dam8610
03-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Perfect, still get Chubb and great additional value. Exactly the type of trade this franchise needs.

Indiana V2
03-17-2018, 12:52 PM
Like see them get Nelson at #6 and trade back up for McGlinchey our line would be fixed ... :cool:

I've thought about this as well, it's not an attractive draft, but helps out our biggest weakness.

Kray007
03-17-2018, 01:04 PM

Never suggested that he doesn't know what he's doing. But, ignoring free agency is like deciding to travel from Indy to South Bend and not make any left turns along the way. You'll eventually get to Notre Dame, but it would've been quicker if you'd turned left once or twice along the way.

Chromeburn
03-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Never suggested that he doesn't know what he's doing. But, ignoring free agency is like deciding to travel from Indy to South Bend and not make any left turns along the way. You'll eventually get to Notre Dame, but it would've been quicker if you'd turned left once or twice along the way.

I don't think he has ignored FA. We signed a bunch of guys last year and so far signed one this year with a few more expected. He just wants his core through the draft.

rcubed
03-17-2018, 01:25 PM
I don't think he has ignored FA. We signed a bunch of guys last year and so far signed one this year with a few more expected. He just wants his core through the draft.
he didnt ignore FA, like others have said, stuck to his plan.

He was in on several but didnt want to meet the price. I wish he would have maybe stretched a bit on one but I am not going to kill him over it.

HoosierinFL
03-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Nelson won’t get past 8 to Chicago.

I agree, and I think Nelson at 6 is fine. Didn't want him at 3, but 6 is appropriate.
Also, I think taking Nelson and the extra picks is more valuable than taking Chubb at 3. If we can get some of those good LBs with the 2 second-round picks, that would be oustanding!

Dam8610
03-17-2018, 02:23 PM
I agree, and I think Nelson at 6 is fine. Didn't want him at 3, but 6 is appropriate.
Also, I think taking Nelson and the extra picks is more valuable than taking Chubb at 3. If we can get some of those good LBs with the 2 second-round picks, that would be oustanding!

Why wouldn't the Colts still take Chubb at 6? The first 5 picks are going to be Barkley and 4 QBs.

Kray007
03-17-2018, 02:27 PM

When you look at really successful teams, nowadays, it's hard to find any that are built strictly through the draft. New England and Philadelphia's rosters are heavy with high quality players either signed as free agents or traded for.

It's been suggested that Ballard wants to build a roster, then supplement it with free agents. I'd just like to see more flexibility. When you have so many holes, it doesn't seem unreasonable to add a few high quality, top 50 type free agents, every now and again.

You have to assume that, with a year on the job behind him, he's built the kind of quality pro scouting staff who can identify guys who can help.

But, anyway, it's a good trade that gives us the flexibility to move back into the 1st round if someone we really like slips into the late teens or 20's.

Kudos.

Kray007
03-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Why wouldn't the Colts still take Chubb at 6? The first 5 picks are going to be Barkley and 4 QBs.

Nelson is probably more of a sure thing than Chubb. The draft highway is littered with the corpses of pass rushers who didn't work out, one case in point being Bjoern Werner.

YDFL Commish
03-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Nelson is probably more of a sure thing than Chubb. The draft highway is littered with the corpses of pass rushers who didn't work out, one case in point being Bjoern Werner.

A Pagano pick.

Kray007
03-17-2018, 02:44 PM
A Pagano pick.

Dion Jordan
Derrick Harvey
Vern Gholston
Aaron Maybin
Ken Sims
Jamal Reynolds
Courtney Brown
Steve Emtman

Dam8610
03-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Dion Jordan
Derrick Harvey
Vern Gholston
Aaron Maybin
Ken Sims
Jamal Reynolds
Courtney Brown
Steve Emtman

I could give you a list at least thrice as long of players that did work out, especially going all the way back to 1992.

Dam8610
03-17-2018, 03:08 PM

You could say the same thing about high pick guards/OL. Impact pass rushers are more rare and difficult to find than starting guards, so when you get the chance to take one, you take him. I also would, for once, like to see the Colts support a franchise QB with a defense. A QB like Luck performing at his peak with a defense that can dominate and take over a game is in my opinion the best championship winning formula an NFL team could hope for.

Kray007
03-17-2018, 03:28 PM
You could say the same thing about high pick guards/OL. Impact pass rushers are more rare and difficult to find than starting guards, so when you get the chance to take one, you take him. I also would, for once, like to see the Colts support a franchise QB with a defense. A QB like Luck performing at his peak with a defense that can dominate and take over a game is in my opinion the best championship winning formula an NFL team could hope for.

Don't get me wrong. I like Chubb, and I wouldn't complain if we took him. But, remember that one rationale for taking Kelly was that misses on OL'men taken that high are rare.

Nelson's the safe pick, and his upside is perennial all pro.

VeveJones007
03-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Don't get me wrong. I like Chubb, and I wouldn't complain if we took him. But, remember that one rationale for taking Kelly was that misses on OL'men taken that high are rare.

Nelson's the safe pick, and his upside is perennial all pro.

I would be much more satisfied with Nelson at 6 + 3 more 2nds than at 3. But I still want Chubb if he’s there.

Spike
03-17-2018, 05:29 PM
A fricken prophet.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-and-jets-trade-up-for-qbs-browns-take-chubb-no-1/

Love this move by Ballard. He raped the Jets.

VeveJones007
03-17-2018, 06:52 PM
A fricken prophet.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-and-jets-trade-up-for-qbs-browns-take-chubb-no-1/

I think Rosen is the only pick in the top 6 that mock has correct.

Racehorse
03-17-2018, 07:08 PM

Yeah, whoever it was (Silver?) that said Ballard needed to wow him should be wowed now.

Chromeburn
03-17-2018, 08:29 PM
When you look at really successful teams, nowadays, it's hard to find any that are built strictly through the draft. New England and Philadelphia's rosters are heavy with high quality players either signed as free agents or traded for.

It's been suggested that Ballard wants to build a roster, then supplement it with free agents. I'd just like to see more flexibility. When you have so many holes, it doesn't seem unreasonable to add a few high quality, top 50 type free agents, every now and again.

You have to assume that, with a year on the job behind him, he's built the kind of quality pro scouting staff who can identify guys who can help.

But, anyway, it's a good trade that gives us the flexibility to move back into the 1st round if someone we really like slips into the late teens or 20's.

Kudos.

I expect we will have a good draft. We could still trade down again depending on who wants to deal. But there are some decent players in this draft that I love using the extra picks on, especially WR, LB, and RB. Quite a few players are going to slip into the 2nd round and we will be right there to nab a few.

We will fill some of the holes I think after the draft. We just are not signing any big FA's until we get the team established some.

Chromeburn
03-17-2018, 08:32 PM
A fricken prophet.

Watched the popup video, Prisco is an idiot. Teams don't say "oh whatever QB, they are all the same."

With the trade ups, I actually see the Browns going QB at 1 now.

Indiana V2
03-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Watched the popup video, Prisco is an idiot. Teams don't say "oh whatever QB, they are all the same."

With the trade ups, I actually see the Browns going QB at 1 now.

Agreed, with the Jets moving to 3 it forces the Browns hands on taking a QB.

albany ed
03-18-2018, 07:17 AM
I like the move. What it tells me is that Ballard is confident that Luck is returning to form. If he had doubts, he wouldn't have moved out of the #3 spot.

Indiana V2
03-18-2018, 08:26 AM
I like the move. What it tells me is that Ballard is confident that Luck is returning to form. If he had doubts, he wouldn't have moved out of the #3 spot.

I've seen others on Twitter say the same thing, but I don't get that, I mean I'm sure Luck is okay for the season, but I don't see how trading down to 6 and accumulating more picks can be any indication of Luck's status.

Racehorse
03-18-2018, 08:37 AM
I've seen others on Twitter say the same thing, but I don't get that, I mean I'm sure Luck is okay for the season, but I don't see how trading down to 6 and accumulating more picks can be any indication of Luck's status.

If Luck is done, wouldn't you keep the #3 and pick a better QB than what you would get at 6? Especially when we traded to a team that will take one of the QBs off the board.

Dam8610
03-18-2018, 09:12 AM

This is the most QB topheavy draft quite possibly ever. It's like the class of 83, but if every team in the top 5 of that draft needed a QB. If you don't think Luck is coming back, you don't trade out of the top 5 and miss out on a QB.

Indiana V2
03-18-2018, 01:14 PM
If Luck is done, wouldn't you keep the #3 and pick a better QB than what you would get at 6? Especially when we traded to a team that will take one of the QBs off the board.

If Luck is done, and you know Brissett is serviceable, then you stick to the plan to build a TEAM through the draft by acquiring more picks. Ballard has often said the Colts are not about Andrew Luck, they're more than one player.

Coltsalr
03-18-2018, 01:31 PM
If Luck is done, and you know Brissett is serviceable, then you stick to the plan to build a TEAM through the draft by acquiring more picks. Ballard has often said the Colts are not about Andrew Luck, they're more than one player.

Disagree.

If Luck is done you absolutely keep the #3 pick (and get who you can) and then deal Brissett for a 3rd (or whatever) in a desperate attempt to build as much as you possibly can around this new franchise QB.

albany ed
03-20-2018, 10:52 AM
The Jets gave up a lot to move from #6 to #3. Why? They need a QB and at #6, the QB pickings slim down considerably. The Colts made the deal getting the extra picks. Why? They don't need a QB, they need depth and if the first 5 picks are 1 RB and 4 QBs, they'll still get the man they seem to want the most.