PDA

View Full Version : Chris Ballard and free agency

Kray007
03-14-2018, 09:22 PM
Not sure I appreciate or like his approach. I know the importance of building a team through the draft, and I understand that Bill Polian ignored free agency with a certain degree of "success."

But, when you compare Polian's record with another Coach/GM who took a slightly different approach...Bill Belichick, the shortcomings of Polian's approach become starkly obvious.

For the last half dozen years of Polian's tenure in Indy, the Colts didn't have much more success in the draft than Ryan Grigson. His teams were perennial playoff contenders, but that was only because of the presence of a handful of players who Polian inherited from Bill Tobin or managed to draft early in his years in Indy. When his drafts began to turn south, his refusal to consider free agency left the team with little more than Peyton and a core group of 5 or 6 aging veterans. When Peyton went down, the team's lack of success in adding talent through the draft was exposed.

While Belichick was adding talent like Randy Moss, Polian waited for second tier, talent deprived free agents like Mike Seidman and Norman LeJeune to slip through the cracks.

I'm not suggesting that Ballard rip Jim Irsay's checkbook from his fingers and spread money around the league like manna. But, when you have $72 Million in cap space, and a desperate need at positions like OL and WR, it seems to me as if you have to make more of a run at someone like Norwell.

Hardly a year goes by when the Patriots roster doesn't include 4 or 5 high quality players that they acquired from other teams. Hardly a year goes by when the Colts have 4 or 5 nondescript players acquired in a similar manner.

It is the reason, I fear, that the Patriots are perennial Super Bowl contenders and the Colts failure to win a 2nd ring for Peyton.

YDFL Commish
03-14-2018, 09:37 PM
All true, but after winning the SB, BP was given way too much authority to promote Chrissy.

Giving Chris Polian free reign over so many things he wasn't prepared to do was the true downfall of the Polian era.

omahacolt
03-14-2018, 10:34 PM
Ballard is missing opportunities to add talent. The cap isn’t an issue. It is his mindset.

FatDT
03-14-2018, 10:46 PM
Ballard is missing opportunities to add talent. The cap isn’t an issue. It is his mindset.

I keep reading about how this is just year two of the rebuild and that we shouldn't expect to be competitive until 2019. Fuck that. We're supposed to wait till Luck is 30 to contend? That's ridiculous. Ballard should've done more for the OL by now.

YDFL Commish
03-14-2018, 10:49 PM

We don't know that. Ballard may have made comparable offers to several of the FA's, but as has said on here previously, Indy just isn't that attractive right now.

I trust in Ballard, so much more than I trusted in Grigson.

omahacolt
03-14-2018, 10:49 PM
I keep reading about how this is just year two of the rebuild and that we shouldn't expect to be competitive until 2019. Fuck that. We're supposed to wait till Luck is 30 to contend? That's ridiculous. Ballard should've done more for the OL by now.

I don’t mind him not throwing crazy money at a lg. No other dude is really a must have right now.

There was better talent at other positions. Ballard failed

omahacolt
03-14-2018, 10:51 PM
We don't know that. Ballard may have made comparable offers to several of the FA's, but as has said on here previously, Indy just isn't that attractive right now.

Grigson is irrelevant. Not being grigson isn’t a good enough standard to hold Ballard to

YDFL Commish
03-14-2018, 10:59 PM

Calm the fuck down. Ballard has plenty of time to get this done, between the draft, UDFA's and roster cut downs.

From the contracts I've seen, I wouldn't have gone there either.

YDFL Commish
03-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Grigson is irrelevant. Not being grigson isn’t a good enough standard to hold Ballard to

Very true. But we don't know who he was bidding for. Indy isn't a FA destination right now.

If Ballard wants to carry it over for 1 year, to prove what we got, then so be it.

FatDT
03-14-2018, 11:09 PM
Calm the fuck down. Ballard has plenty of time to get this done, between the draft, UDFA's and roster cut downs.

Are you satisfied with building this OL with cutdowns and UDFAs? That's more of the same old bullshit. At best we getting one starter from the draft. If he signs the guy from Baltimore and pursues others I'll shut up but until then I'm going to bitch as much as I want. The shit pile OL was a glaring problem that Ballard was aware of from day one and so far his moves have been Zach Banner in the 4th (cut) and Brian Schwenke in FA (cut).

Kray007
03-15-2018, 12:17 AM

Undrafted free agents and roster cut downs? Seriously? If you're lucky, you stumble onto a Quan Bray every once in awhile.

Kray007
03-15-2018, 12:22 AM
Are you satisfied with building this OL with cutdowns and UDFAs? That's more of the same old bullshit. At best we getting one starter from the draft. If he signs the guy from Baltimore and pursues others I'll shut up but until then I'm going to bitch as much as I want. The shit pile OL was a glaring problem that Ballard was aware of from day one and so far his moves have been Zach Banner in the 4th (cut) and Brian Schwenke in FA (cut).

It's a colossal mystery. You've got one of the top Quarterbacks in the league, a guy who's been physically beaten down since day one in Indy, and your moves to fortify the Offensive Line pale by comparison to Ryan freaking Grigson?

dwilli57
03-15-2018, 08:28 AM

I disagree that Indy's not attractive. How do you define attractive: SB potential? Great QB?, Good coach? It's all about $$. Otherwise Amendola wouldn't have jumped to Miami. And with potential to play with Luck, ought to be enough change that mindset. I trust in Ballard too, maybe he just has different plans.

YDFL Commish
03-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Undrafted free agents and roster cut downs? Seriously? If you're lucky, you stumble onto a Quan Bray every once in awhile.

Norwell was a UDFA.

VeveJones007
03-15-2018, 08:46 AM

I know we're all passionate, but you clearly understand from the bold that it's irrational to judge the offseason at this point. Why not just relax and wait for the full returns, particularly on something over which you have zero control?

Maniac
03-15-2018, 08:53 AM
Sucks missing out on Norwell, but it happens. The big thing that I don't understand is why they bothered to tender Vujnovich.

Dam8610
03-15-2018, 08:57 AM
There's a long way to go in free agency and plenty of talent still available. Many of you are displaying a complete lack of confidence in the team's pro and college scouting. If that's the case, why aren't you calling for Ballard to be fired? Either you're going to trust him to put together the best roster for this team to be competitive or you aren't. So either wait it out or start calling for his head.

Mr. Session
03-15-2018, 09:31 AM
I disagree that Indy's not attractive. How do you define attractive: SB potential? Great QB?, Good coach? It's all about $$. Otherwise Amendola wouldn't have jumped to Miami. And with potential to play with Luck, ought to be enough change that mindset. I trust in Ballard too, maybe he just has different plans.

I think it’s deeper than football.

Miami weather is > Indianapolis. There is more shit to do in Florida. There’s also no state income tax in Florida.

Kray007
03-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Norwell was a UDFA.

Yes, yes he was. If you figure that there were about 500 undrafted free agents in his class, that leaves the odds of finding another all pro OL'man by going that route as 500 to 1.

FatDT
03-15-2018, 10:15 AM
I know we're all passionate, but you clearly understand from the bold that it's irrational to judge the offseason at this point. Why not just relax and wait for the full returns, particularly on something over which you have zero control?

Should we all just wait for everything to just happen and not discuss anything? Why bitch in-game about anything that goes wrong, we don't know the outcome yet.

Weston Richburg is off the market and making about $9M/year from the 49ers. We can probably anticipate that for Jensen, if we sign him.

Kray007
03-15-2018, 10:18 AM
There's a long way to go in free agency and plenty of talent still available. Many of you are displaying a complete lack of confidence in the team's pro and college scouting. If that's the case, why aren't you calling for Ballard to be fired? Either you're going to trust him to put together the best roster for this team to be competitive or you aren't. So either wait it out or start calling for his head.

Wait it out till what? Andrew Luck gets hit another 80 times in 2018? I know that $15 Million a year, with $30 Million guaranteed was a big chunk of change. But, that's what the market said it was. Refusing to ante up has the same quality of a spoiled child holding his breath and pitching a fit because he doesn't like the brand of cereal you're serving up for breakfast.

What has to trouble Jim Irsay is the potential for unrest among the fan base to morph into something uglier. If the line continues to be a clown show, if Andrew Luck goes down, and if the Colts roll to another embarrassing season, unrest begins to translate into unsold season tickets and empty seats.

At the end of last year, you could've bought a ticket on ebay for five bucks. Jim can't afford to have that become the perception of a ticket's value.

There were a lot of silly stories about Luck's unrest circulating, last year. But, if he does go down, again, who's to say that he won't decide to pocket the hundred million the Colts have paid him and fade into retirement in some broadcast booth?

Does that make the situation unsalvageable? Of course not. They could ante up for someone like Justin Pugh, or they could trade down out of number 3 and pick Quentin Nelson. It's still early, but every day that goes by, every free agent who slips to somebody else narrows our options.

Kray007
03-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Should we all just wait for everything to just happen and not discuss anything? Why bitch in-game about anything that goes wrong, we don't know the outcome yet.

Weston Richburg is off the market and making about $9M/year from the 49ers. We can probably anticipate that for Jensen, if we sign him.

Not sure about the wisdom of shelling out $9 Million a year on a Center when we already have one on the roster.

FatDT
03-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Not sure about the wisdom of shelling out $9 Million a year on a Center when we already have one on the roster.

He has also started at guard, if they paid him starter money I assume they'd be signing him as a guard. Or moving Kelly to guard, but that seems unlikely.

FatDT
03-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Speaking of Jensen, he should be here today:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/974219654859251712

1965southpaw
03-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Sucks missing out on Norwell, but it happens. The big thing that I don't understand is why they bothered to tender Vujnovich.

Maybe depth/competition? He and AC were the only colts to take every snap at their position in 2017. With our track record on injuries having a spare toy in the toybox makes sense to me.

Maniac
03-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Maybe depth/competition? He and AC were the only colts to take every snap at their position in 2017. With our track record on injuries having a spare toy in the toybox makes sense to me.

You could put a toy out there on the field and it wouldn't be much worse than him.

1965southpaw
03-15-2018, 11:28 AM
You could put a toy out there on the field and it wouldn't be much worse than him.

Lol, Ye of little faith Jesus? We are going to have a grown up offensive scheme finally so I fully expect everyone to look better in the new design. Not saying he will be a stud but I honestly think that it's tough to get a full sense of these guys potential when we had such a predictable scheme. Who knows.....he may still be trash in the new scheme. Time will tell.

Dam8610
03-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Yes, yes he was. If you figure that there were about 500 undrafted free agents in his class, that leaves the odds of finding another all pro OL'man by going that route as 500 to 1.

They don't need all-pro, necessarily. They just need quality starters.

Dam8610
03-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Wait it out till what? Andrew Luck gets hit another 80 times in 2018? I know that $15 Million a year, with $30 Million guaranteed was a big chunk of change. But, that's what the market said it was. Refusing to ante up has the same quality of a spoiled child holding his breath and pitching a fit because he doesn't like the brand of cereal you're serving up for breakfast.

What has to trouble Jim Irsay is the potential for unrest among the fan base to morph into something uglier. If the line continues to be a clown show, if Andrew Luck goes down, and if the Colts roll to another embarrassing season, unrest begins to translate into unsold season tickets and empty seats.

At the end of last year, you could've bought a ticket on ebay for five bucks. Jim can't afford to have that become the perception of a ticket's value.

There were a lot of silly stories about Luck's unrest circulating, last year. But, if he does go down, again, who's to say that he won't decide to pocket the hundred million the Colts have paid him and fade into retirement in some broadcast booth?

Does that make the situation unsalvageable? Of course not. They could ante up for someone like Justin Pugh, or they could trade down out of number 3 and pick Quentin Nelson. It's still early, but every day that goes by, every free agent who slips to somebody else narrows our options.

They could also get guys you've never heard of (maybe the next Andrew Norwell) and scream about them not doing enough until they get on the field and perform well. The bottom line is this is overreaction. You're the one that looks like the spoiled child here, not Ballard. "Waaaaaah, I didn't get the big name free agent I wanted." Well, too fucking bad, clearly the Colts didn't value him as highly as the market. Yesterday was Day 1 of free agency, and if the Polian era taught you anything, it should've been that the big name free agent isn't necessarily going to live up to expectations and the guy you've never heard of just might end up a quality starter.

HoosierinFL
03-15-2018, 02:15 PM
God damn I hate agreeing with Dam but you guys are being serious pussies right now. Old fashioned "the sky is falling" colts fans.

Kray007
03-15-2018, 02:49 PM
God damn I hate agreeing with Dam but you guys are being serious pussies right now. Old fashioned "the sky is falling" colts fans.

Right now, the Colts are the 4th best team in the AFC South. We don't have a starting RB, the only healthy WR we have is TY Hilton; the OL is a mess; we don't have a Linebacker who can cover; we're short a Corner or two; and we generated 25 sacks in 2017. The roster is full of holes, and the only help we've signed is being described as a rotational pass rusher.

Yeesh.

Kray007
03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
They could also get guys you've never heard of (maybe the next Andrew Norwell) and scream about them not doing enough until they get on the field and perform well. The bottom line is this is overreaction. You're the one that looks like the spoiled child here, not Ballard. "Waaaaaah, I didn't get the big name free agent I wanted." Well, too fucking bad, clearly the Colts didn't value him as highly as the market. Yesterday was Day 1 of free agency, and if the Polian era taught you anything, it should've been that the big name free agent isn't necessarily going to live up to expectations and the guy you've never heard of just might end up a quality starter.

Bill Polian never signed an undrafted free agent who made the pro bowl.

FatDT
03-15-2018, 03:37 PM

You're a fucking idiot and a Ballard cock sucker. See, I can say over-the-top bullshit too.

Now if you're done with the dumb insults, tell me if you're satisfied with the state of the OL on this team.

sherck
03-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Bill Polian never signed an undrafted free agent who made the pro bowl.Jeff Saturday begs to differ

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dam8610
03-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Bill Polian never signed an undrafted free agent who made the pro bowl.

Jeff Saturday

Brylok
03-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Right now, the Colts are the 4th best team in the AFC South. We don't have a starting RB, the only healthy WR we have is TY Hilton; the OL is a mess; we don't have a Linebacker who can cover; we're short a Corner or two; and we generated 25 sacks in 2017. The roster is full of holes, and the only help we've signed is being described as a rotational pass rusher.

Yeesh.

Right now, the Colts are probably the worst roster in the league.

Dam8610
03-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Now if you're done with the dumb insults, tell me if you're satisfied with the state of the OL on this team.

No, but it's March 15, most of free agency and the draft is still in front of us, not to mention training camp and preseason. It's all still very much a work in progress.

Puck
03-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Hoping he has a plan. Maybe he knows of some players that will be released that he has his eye on

Either way between FA and the draft he needs

3 Olineman
DE
3 Lbrs
CB1
RB1
WR2

And I would seriously consider Honey Badger to replace Geathers as a starter and keep Geathers for depth. Those guys go down A LOT!

Racehorse
03-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Wait a minute?!?!? Dam is being the rational one?????

Racehorse
03-15-2018, 06:15 PM
You're a fucking idiot and a Ballard cock sucker. See, I can say over-the-top bullshit too.

Nobody knows what kind of line we have because of the morons we had running the show last year. Nobody!

Butter
03-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Wait a minute?!?!? Dam is being the rational one?????

Dam has always been pretty rational, except about Pagano and the importance of coaching.

omahacolt
03-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Nobody knows what kind of line we have because of the morons we had running the show last year. Nobody!

this is a very true statement.

although i would like to add at least 1 starting guard for rg and maybe mewhort for a vet minimum deal.

omahacolt
03-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Dam has always been pretty rational, except about Pagano and the importance of coaching.

and gay. you forgot gay

Puck
03-15-2018, 06:43 PM
They don't need all-pro, necessarily. They just need quality starters.

You never say that about pass rushers

YDFL Commish
03-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Or when he's proven wrong.

Puck
03-15-2018, 06:47 PM

He's pretty good at breaking down players. Everyone has to agree on that. Well except Omaha

YDFL Commish
03-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Hoping he has a plan. Maybe he knows of some players that will be released that he has his eye on

Either way between FA and the draft he needs

3 Olineman
DE
3 Lbrs
CB1
RB1
WR2

And I would seriously consider Honey Badger to replace Geathers as a starter and keep Geathers for depth. Those guys go down A LOT!

We don't need 3 O-Linemen. If we could get one solid guy to replace Vujo, then that would go a long way. As Vujo was clearly the weakest link on the line.

If you mean 3 starting LB's, I would say that we have 1 already, as I would pencil in Simon at SAM.

Puck
03-15-2018, 07:08 PM
We don't need 3 O-Linemen. If we could get one solid guy to replace Vujo, then that would go a long way. As Vujo was clearly the weakest link on the line.

If you mean 3 starting LB's, I would say that we have 1 already, as I would pencil in Simon at SAM.

Nope disagree. We need 2 guards and a RT

IM TIRED AS FUCK SEEING THE QB GET KILLED AND THE RB GAINING 2 YARDS!!!

I'd actually say the only Olineman that should be secure is kelly and he needs a quality backup

YDFL Commish
03-15-2018, 07:44 PM

I'd actually say the only Olineman that should be secure is kelly and he needs a quality backup

WOW! glass half empty aye. You don't think the scheme change is going to make any difference then? Very Dammy like, but ok.

I actually think Kelly needs to step up his game, he hasn't been nearly as impactful (apparently not a word, but fuck it) in the run game as I was expecting.

omahacolt
03-15-2018, 08:53 PM
He's pretty good at breaking down players. Everyone has to agree on that. Well except Omaha

I won’t read that shit.

The dude doesn’t know anything about football and has no integrity. Until he admits he was wrong I won’t listen to anything he says. He probably hasn’t watched a single player

omahacolt
03-15-2018, 08:55 PM
WOW! glass half empty aye. You don't think the scheme change is going to make any difference then? Very Dammy like, but ok.

I actually think Kelly needs to step up his game, he hasn't been nearly as impactful (apparently not a word, but fuck it) in the run game as I was expecting.

Kelly is fine. Not sure why colts fans always want to single out the good players when there are players that are sub par.

omahacolt
03-15-2018, 08:57 PM

No way we can turnover 3 olineman with good results. I am hoping for 2

Butter
03-15-2018, 09:10 PM
and gay. you forgot gay

Sure, except I am not a homophobic idiot, so that would not matter to me.

Kray007
03-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Jeff Saturday begs to differ

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Baltimore signed Jeff out of college. The Colts claimed him off waivers.

Dam8610
03-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Baltimore signed Jeff out of college. The Colts claimed him off waivers.

That doesn't make him any less of a UDFA. You don't think all successful UDFAs are successful with the team that signed them out of college, do you?

YDFL Commish
03-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Kelly is fine. Not sure why colts fans always want to single out the good players when there are players that are sub par.

Wait a minute, i singled out Vujo as the weakest link. A!! I'm saying about Kelly, is that he hasn't lived up to his 1st rd billing. So yeah, he's been fine, but I wanna see more.

Dam8610
03-15-2018, 10:00 PM
You never say that about pass rushers

How many times has an elite pass rush won a championship? I can think of three off the top of my head.

Puck
03-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Who is your starting Oline with this mess?
My opinion is ,kelly and Castanzo. Other than than. Rebuild

Indiana V2
03-15-2018, 10:43 PM
My fear is that Ballard is setting the bar too low on what he will pay, and we won't get any quality help. I understand building through the draft, but Andrew Luck isn't getting younger, and may not stay healthy, if we don't start upping the pony and paying some freaking money on guys who can definitely help. All the while the Jaguars, Titans, and Texans are improving themselves.

Kray007
03-15-2018, 11:21 PM
That doesn't make him any less of a UDFA. You don't think all successful UDFAs are successful with the team that signed them out of college, do you?

I think that, once the draft ends, 32 teams queue up and start searching for talent. In any given year, a number of undrafted players will make a roster, and a few of them will find some level of success; but those are few and far between; and no one but a fool plans on building a team by sifting through the swill, looking for diamonds after the pigs finish feeding.

Puck
03-15-2018, 11:48 PM
How many times has an elite pass rush won a championship? I can think of three off the top of my head.

The Pats seem to win about every yr or every other yr..... who are their premier pass rushers? Where were they drafted?

Dam8610
03-16-2018, 12:53 AM
The Pats seem to win about every yr or every other yr..... who are their premier pass rushers? Where were they drafted?

I'm not willing to accept cheating, so I'll go for the elite pass rush instead.

Puck
03-16-2018, 01:55 AM
I'm not willing to accept cheating, so I'll go for the elite pass rush instead.

Come on man. That's a cop out. You're better than that.

ukcolt
03-16-2018, 05:02 AM
We have a lot of holes that need to be addressed, we have a lot of cap space sure. Some of you are advocating splashing out high salaries on a few guys, which is great in theory, but if they then fail in a new system (this happens all of the time) you are completely hamstrung. Also your impact signings get injured and you are back to square one, and have used up all of the cap space that you are now unable to play even a remotely competent backup.

In my eyes, if we can get to NFL average at almost every position through this free agency period and the draft, and provide considerably more depth throughout the roster that is going to make us far more consistently competitive in the long run. And will be proven to be the best solution when looked at in 3 or 4 years time.

Would i like to see the Colts making a few more signings sure of course, i am a fan and it is exciting and they will over the next few weeks, but with the reality head on i am fine in the approach that Ballard is taking and believe that he has proven to be an excellent judge of talent so far in his career and is one of the most highly sought after personnel guys around.

We really could do with upgrading 15-20 positions on this roster, not just 7 or 8.

QB's are probably fine, so long as Luck is healthy we don't carry 3 guys.
RB's we need at least 1 guy, although both Jones and Michael could be nice compliments if they are healthy.
TE's, we have Doyle, then 2 largely unproven guys who have a lot of intrigue, but might very well decide to upgrade here.
WR's, we have 2 guys, so could very easily be looking at 3 new players.
OL, we have some bodies, but every single guy has some questions against him, Kelly has struggled with injuries, Castonzo's play has been solid, but not at the level it was a few years ago, and the rest are borderline starter quality or significantly below. 3 guys or even 4 wouldn't be a huge surprise.

DL, we are pretty solid here other than the obvious pure out and out pass rusher. So may very well add 1.
LB, we probably have 3 guys who deserve to be on the roster in Simon, George and Walker the rest are all in danger of failing to play another down in the NFL. So adding 3 or 4 guys here wouldn't be a stretch.
CB's, currently have an inexperienced Wilson, and then Hairston in the nickle, all others need to be upgraded, so again you could be adding 3 guys here.
S, we have 2 guys who are both big health concerns, and then a third who has proven to be solid, will likely look to add 1 other into the mix.

Racehorse
03-16-2018, 07:09 AM

Just in the past 15 years, because before then, it was not a passing league, but a running league. Manning changed all of that. In a passing league, you have to be able to do both: keep the QB upright and get the opponents' QBs down.

Dam8610
03-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Come on man. That's a cop out. You're better than that.

That's not a cop out, they're cheaters and their cheating has effected their results in a positive manner. I don't believe they would've won a championship without it.

Just in the past 15 years, because before then, it was not a passing league, but a running league. Manning changed all of that. In a passing league, you have to be able to do both: keep the QB upright and get the opponents' QBs down.

We're dealing with the modern NFL, so pass rush is the second most important position to deal with, and the QB position is already dealt with.

FatDT
03-16-2018, 10:01 AM
How long are you all expecting this "rebuild" to take? I keep reading on the internet (not necessarily here) that we're only just starting year 2 of a 3 year rebuild. To me that is crazy, we already have a QB. 3 year rebuilds are for teams that don't have a QB. Teams turn it around every year. Eagles, Jags, and Rams last season alone are good examples. If we have the QB and the coaching staff, which we're assuming we do, why be slow to acquire good, young talent? Being deliberate for the sake of being deliberate doesn't sound like a wise NFL strategy.

Brylok
03-16-2018, 11:18 AM
How long are you all expecting this "rebuild" to take? I keep reading on the internet (not necessarily here) that we're only just starting year 2 of a 3 year rebuild. To me that is crazy, we already have a QB. 3 year rebuilds are for teams that don't have a QB. Teams turn it around every year. Eagles, Jags, and Rams last season alone are good examples. If we have the QB and the coaching staff, which we're assuming we do, why be slow to acquire good, young talent? Being deliberate for the sake of being deliberate doesn't sound like a wise NFL strategy.

With a healthy Luck, competent drafting and free agency, I figure we'll be competing for a super bowl in 2020.

Dam8610
03-16-2018, 12:39 PM

Depends on what is done. With the right guys coming in, winning the division wouldn't be out of the question this year with the potential for Super Bowl aspirations next year.

njcoltfan
03-16-2018, 03:20 PM

I definitely agree Fat, the Colts were leading a half in 9 games last year in spite of Pagano and a backup QB. I thought that if Ballard brought in a few select free agents like an all pro guard, maybe a run stopping linebacker or two and a wide receiver, with a healthy Luck the Colts would contend for the AFC South. I think because Ballard apparently thinks this is a three year rebuild, it will be. The rest of the teams in the south have gotten better, and because the Colts seem to be sitting on their hands they ,by comparison, have gotten worse.

HoosierinFL
03-16-2018, 03:21 PM
You guys remember this story that came out last month?
http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2018/the-unbelievable-story-of-the-2017-colts

Its an analysis of how the Colts lost their games this past year, and how historically bad they were at closing teams out, and how historically predictable they were with 4th quarter playcalling.
The take home message is that this roster is much better than 4 wins, and good coaching will make a mountain of a difference.
So no, we don't need a rebuild and overhaul of the roster.
Yes we need some new guys on the o-line, and some new LBs, and probably now a WR with Moncrieff gone.
But that's not an overhaul/rebuild. And I'm 100% on board with Ballard's approach of edit: not* overpaying for FAs, which upsets team chemistry. He wants leaders and to build from within.

He needs a culture change more than a talent change, and this approach is the way to do it.

Indiana V2
03-16-2018, 03:27 PM
http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2018/the-unbelievable-story-of-the-2017-colts

Its an analysis of how the Colts lost their games this past year, and how historically bad they were at closing teams out, and how historically predictable they were with 4th quarter playcalling.
The take home message is that this roster is much better than 4 wins, and good coaching will make a mountain of a difference.
Yes we need some new guys on the o-line, and some new LBs, and probably now a WR with Moncrieff gone.
But that's not an overhaul/rebuild. And I'm 100% on board with Ballard's approach of now overpaying for FAs, which upsets team chemistry. He wants leaders and to build from within.

He needs a culture change more than a talent change, and this approach is the way to do it.
Yeah, I suppose getting rid of Pagano and Chud are huge plusses.

1965southpaw
03-16-2018, 05:44 PM
Why does everyone think of this in a binary fashion? It's not either talent or coaching. It's talent AND coaching. We have made an important, necessary first step in getting in a new coaching regime who will bring in a modern scheme. Now is the time to bring in some talent......using the draft to bring in playmakers/studs/superstars and using free agency to fill out the roster in areas of need/add depth/create competition. We all need to be a bit more patient. I really think Ballard/Reich will right the ship.....we've been taking on water for a long time but if Luck is really healthy we have the most important playmaker and with a modern scheme and some toys on defense and offense we will get there................or we will all go crazy/drink heavily/insert the vice of your choice.

Indiana V2
03-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Melvin signed a 1 year 6.5 million contract with the Raiders...I mean seriously, we couldn't pay him that much?

1965southpaw
03-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Melvin signed a 1 year 6.5 million contract with the Raiders...I mean seriously, we couldn't pay him that much?

Yes, we could but that's not what he wanted from the colts. Per JMV Drew Rosenahaus and Melvin were asking Colts for a long term deal with money that was "way more" than 6.5 per year. When the Colts weren't willing to overpay he decided to "bet on himself" and accept a short term prove it deal w/Raiders.

YDFL Commish
03-16-2018, 06:40 PM

But that's not an overhaul/rebuild. And I'm 100% on board with Ballard's approach of edit: not* overpaying for FAs, which upsets team chemistry. He wants leaders and to build from within.

Why does everyone think of this in a binary fashion? It's not either talent or coaching. It's talent AND coaching. We have made an important, necessary first step in getting in a new coaching regime who will bring in a modern scheme. Now is the time to bring in some talent......using the draft to bring in playmakers/studs/superstars and using free agency to fill out the roster in areas of need/add depth/create competition. We all need to be a bit more patient. I really think Ballard/Reich will right the ship.....we've been taking on water for a long time but if Luck is really healthy we have the most important playmaker and with a modern scheme and some toys on defense and offense we will get there................or we will all go crazy/drink heavily/insert the vice of your choice.

Two very good posts. Ballard is not going to use free agency pay huge coin to guys that have a resume that they haven't played up to recently, because either they are past their prime, or they are not working for it.

In free agency he's going to bring in solid, good locker room guys that can compete to fill the glaring holes.

When this team has established an identity of success, then Ballard can bring in the rare difference maker in free agency. But for now, he's going to get his difference makers from the draft.

Maniac
03-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Looks like Ballard is getting pretty active in bringing guys in now. Hopefully they can get some deals done.

Oldcolt
03-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Blowing all those leads last year we all knew was going to happen before it happened By the end the players also had to have known. That mindset, the bullshit nobody is responsible pagano mindset, has got to be completely purged. We’ll get to judge how successful Ballard has been at that by how they play the game next year. I’m optimistic because Ballard keeps talking about changing the ‘culture’. We shall see

omahacolt
03-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Blowing all those leads last year we all knew was going to happen before it happened By the end the players also had to have known. That mindset, the bullshit nobody is responsible pagano mindset, has got to be completely purged. We’ll get to judge how successful Ballard has been at that by how they play the game next year. I’m optimistic because Ballard keeps talking about changing the ‘culture’. We shall see

And pagano talked about nonsense as well

GoBigBlue88
03-16-2018, 11:13 PM
Honestly, I don't give a shit if they don't get a Michael Crabtree or Honey Badger type. Whatever.

But letting the best OL continue walking is pretty dumb. You're gonna have to overpay for someone there if you want your QB to survive the year.

njcoltfan
03-17-2018, 07:38 AM
Honestly, I don't give a shit if they don't get a Michael Crabtree or Honey Badger type. Whatever.

But letting the best OL continue walking is pretty dumb. You're gonna have to overpay for someone there if you want your QB to survive the year.

I'm beginning to think that no one wants to play in Indy, I would have thought by now the Colts would have had at least two new OLineman.

Dewey 5
03-17-2018, 09:15 AM
I'm beginning to think that no one wants to play in Indy, I would have thought by now the Colts would have had at least two new OLineman.

Either Ballard didnt try hard or just does not care. We know he can't close.

ukcolt
03-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Or they have decided that they want to draft Quenton Nelson with their 1st rounder.

njcoltfan
03-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Or they have decided that they want to draft Quenton Nelson with their 1st rounder.

You might be right, but then why haven’t the Colts been active in trying to get a pass rusher?

Dewey 5
03-17-2018, 10:32 AM

Ballard better take Chubb at#3 or trade for multiple picks. Anything else he should be fired on the spot.
I think we hired the wrong guy from KC. John Dorsey would have been better.

Dewey 5
03-17-2018, 10:35 AM
You might be right, but then why haven’t the Colts been active in trying to get a pass rusher?

Because Ballard. Why can't we get a real Gm?