PDA

View Full Version : 2018 NFL Free Agents (tampering period starts 3/12/18)

Pages : [1] 2

FatDT
03-06-2018, 03:57 PM
The Combine is over. Seems like we'll get Chubb or Barkley but who knows. Hard to target players when FA is a big question. It's not a strong FA year, which sucks since we have so much cap room. But there should still be some good players available. List your guys here.

My interest list:

RB
Leveon Bell
Carlos Hyde

WR
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry (no trades though)
Donte Moncrief
Kendall Wright

OL
Andrew Norwell
Nate Solder
Justin Pugh
Josh Sitton
Cam Fleming
Jack Mewhort

DE
Alex Okafor
Kony Ealy

DT
Dontari Poe
Sheldon Richardson
Star Lotulelei
Dominique Easley

LB
Nigel Bradham
Zach Brown
Anthony Hitchens
Navorro Bowman
Tahir Whitehead

CB
Bashaud Breeland
Trumaine Johnson
Malcolm Butler
Rashaan Melvin
Aaron Colvin
Pierre Desir

S
Eric Reid

Slim pickings.

Maniac
03-06-2018, 04:02 PM
Leveon Bell? Pittsburgh is not letting him go.

sherck
03-06-2018, 04:06 PM
That is a great list FatDT. Well done.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FatDT
03-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Leveon Bell? Pittsburgh is not letting him go.

Probably not. But shit happens. Elvis Dumervil became a FA because Denver couldn't figure out their fax machine.

Dam8610
03-06-2018, 05:58 PM
I like most of your list but would be disappointed in the front office if they elected to pay Allen Robinson or Nate Solder the kind of money they'll get on the open market. I'd add McKinnon at RB, and Lewis since they seem to have interest. Also, Jordan Matthews at WR seems like a guy that would compliment Hilton well and not be terribly expensive like Allen Robinson.

Coltsalr
03-06-2018, 06:39 PM
I like most of your list but would be disappointed in the front office if they elected to pay Allen Robinson or Nate Solder the kind of money they'll get on the open market. I'd add McKinnon at RB, and Lewis since they seem to have interest. Also, Jordan Matthews at WR seems like a guy that would compliment Hilton well and not be terribly expensive like Allen Robinson.

Okay, I’ll bite: Enlighten us on why you hate Nate Solder.

omahacolt
03-06-2018, 09:40 PM

We know why you like him

Dam8610
03-06-2018, 09:51 PM

First, I don't "hate" Nate Solder, I just don't think he's worth open market left tackle money, which is what he'll get. The reasons I don't think he's worth open market left tackle money are the Cheaters' OL coach is very good and known for turning projects into productive players while under him, Solder was a brutally awful pass blocker before coming into the league (and he's not exactly been elite at it since entering the league), and he's going into his age 30 season. That's not a guy I want the Colts handing 4/$60 to, and that's likely what it would take to get him.

YDFL Commish
03-06-2018, 10:07 PM

I could live with Jordan Matthews over Allen Robinson. But I certainly don't want to add mediocre or oft injured RB's in FA.

Butter
03-06-2018, 10:25 PM
I don't want to throw LT money at Solder when we have a very decent LT already, too many other holes.

rcubed
03-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Dont dick around and go sign norwell

sherck
03-07-2018, 08:40 AM
Dont dick around and go sign norwell

You have to compete with probably 10 other teams that have the desire to sign him and the cap space to do so. It is not a matter of not wanting to, it is a matter of being the most compelling location for him to want to come to. Money is a big factor but not the only factor.

That said, I hope Ballard is persuasive.

Walk Worthy,

Oldcolt
03-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Watkins, Robinson, Norwell....there are some big time players available this year. Would you spend the money to get one or more of the top tiered free agents if possible? If so what is the maximum you would invest in free agency and do you want to spend it on a few 'great' players or maybe sign players on the second level? I'd realistically like to see us get at least one of these dudes. We've got some 70 odd million to spend. Now can the organization make itself attractive to these guys?

FatDT
03-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Don't want Watkins. I don't think he'll ever be great despite his potential.

Dam8610
03-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Watkins, Robinson, Norwell....there are some big time players available this year. Would you spend the money to get one or more of the top tiered free agents if possible? If so what is the maximum you would invest in free agency and do you want to spend it on a few 'great' players or maybe sign players on the second level? I'd realistically like to see us get at least one of these dudes. We've got some 70 odd million to spend. Now can the organization make itself attractive to these guys?

If it was me, I would throw everything at Norwell and then try to get one of Richardson/Poe, then Bradham and Bowman, then second or lower tier guys at CB, S, WR, and OT.

VeveJones007
03-07-2018, 01:11 PM
If it was me, I would throw everything at Norwell and then try to get one of Richardson/Poe, then Bradham and Bowman, then second or lower tier guys at CB, S, WR, and OT.

I’m a hard pass on Bowman. Colts need more athleticism at LB than what he can give at this stage of his career.

Dam8610
03-07-2018, 02:05 PM
I’m a hard pass on Bowman. Colts need more athleticism at LB than what he can give at this stage of his career.

The Colts need a MLB, so if not him, then maybe Hitchens? I'm really just looking for someone better than Morrison and not a rookie.

rcubed
03-07-2018, 02:12 PM
You have to compete with probably 10 other teams that have the desire to sign him and the cap space to do so. It is not a matter of not wanting to, it is a matter of being the most compelling location for him to want to come to. Money is a big factor but not the only factor.

That said, I hope Ballard is persuasive.

Walk Worthy,
I understand that. The point was stop fucking around and fix the line!

VeveJones007
03-07-2018, 02:51 PM
The Colts need a MLB, so if not him, then maybe Hitchens? I'm really just looking for someone better than Morrison and not a rookie.

Totally with you there. I think they want Hitchens because he can play either MLB or WILL depending on how the other position works out.

Coltsalr
03-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Hitchens is supposedly a fait accompli to come to the Colts given that they have Eberflus at DC now

I absolutely love Roquan Smith for ILB and if we trade down we could totally get him.

Rashaan Evans in our #2 spot would also be a great pickup there.

Dam8610
03-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Hitchens is supposedly a fait accompli to come to the Colts given that they have Eberflus at DC now

I absolutely love Roquan Smith for ILB and if we trade down we could totally get him.

You think Evans will last that long? I'd be happy with he or Vander Esch at 36. That said, I doubt either lasts that far.

omahacolt
03-07-2018, 06:29 PM

don't be an asshole

Coltsalr
03-07-2018, 07:53 PM
First, I don't "hate" Nate Solder, I just don't think he's worth open market left tackle money, which is what he'll get. The reasons I don't think he's worth open market left tackle money are the Cheaters' OL coach is very good and known for turning projects into productive players while under him, Solder was a brutally awful pass blocker before coming into the league (and he's not exactly been elite at it since entering the league), and he's going into his age 30 season. That's not a guy I want the Colts handing 4/$60 to, and that's likely what it would take to get him.

Looks like your old man crush might be hitting the open market again:

Dolphins releasing Suh 'under consideration'
One NFL official told the Miami Herald the Dolphins releasing DT Ndamukong Suh remains "under consideration."
The source reportedly didn't say whether the move is likely or unlikely, merely that it's being considered. The Herald reported in February Suh would likely be designated as a post-June 1 release if cut, which would save the Fins $17 million under the salary cap. $8.5 million of Suh's $17 million salary becomes guaranteed on March 19. Suh turned 31 in January and hasn't missed a game since 2011. He would be an extremely hot commodity on the open market.

Dam8610
03-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Looks like your old man crush might be hitting the open market again:

Dolphins releasing Suh 'under consideration'
One NFL official told the Miami Herald the Dolphins releasing DT Ndamukong Suh remains "under consideration."
The source reportedly didn't say whether the move is likely or unlikely, merely that it's being considered. The Herald reported in February Suh would likely be designated as a post-June 1 release if cut, which would save the Fins $17 million under the salary cap. $8.5 million of Suh's $17 million salary becomes guaranteed on March 19. Suh turned 31 in January and hasn't missed a game since 2011. He would be an extremely hot commodity on the open market.

Ballard won't do it because he's 31, but I'd at least kick the tires. Still a good player and won't command nearly as large of a contract.

Dam8610
03-08-2018, 01:18 PM

Roquan Smith would have to fight through a block before I'd be okay taking him with a top 15 pick. Don't get me wrong, he's fast, has great instincts, is great in coverage, and makes plays, but you can say that about Evans, Jefferson, and Vander Esch as well, and they also fight through blocks. Give me Chubb and Vander Esch over Smith and Landry every time.

VeveJones007
03-08-2018, 01:46 PM
You think Evans will last that long? I'd be happy with he or Vander Esch at 36. That said, I doubt either lasts that far.

Latest mocks I've seen have both going towards the end of round 1, but maybe one slips.

sherck
03-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Latest mocks I've seen have both going towards the end of round 1, but maybe one slips.

There are ALWAYS guys whom the pundints say are "1st round talent" that don't get picked during the first day. Always....

I don't know if any of them are linebackers this year but there will be plenty of guys whom teams think are 1st round guys who slip into the top half of the 2nd round.

I hope we get 2 impact guys from this year's draft. Chubb and a Linebacker or O-Lineman would be my hope but I just hope that 36th slot is a for real guy.

Walk Worthy,

Dam8610
03-08-2018, 02:00 PM
There are ALWAYS guys whom the pundints say are "1st round talent" that don't get picked during the first day. Always....

I don't know if any of them are linebackers this year but there will be plenty of guys whom teams think are 1st round guys who slip into the top half of the 2nd round.

I hope we get 2 impact guys from this year's draft. Chubb and a Linebacker or O-Lineman would be my hope but I just hope that 36th slot is a for real guy.

Walk Worthy,

Leighton Vander Esch to the Steelers makes too much sense to not happen, despite my sincerest hopes that it doesn't. Then the Cheaters and Eagles both need LBs. I am also hoping that the Colts use this draft wisely, the positioning of the picks is almost like having a round higher pick every time. Hopefully Ballard makes good use of it and we won't see another draft with this type of positioning for over a decade.

VeveJones007
03-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Walk Worthy,

As Dam said, problem is need. A lot of teams at the end of Rd 1 need a LB.

FatDT
03-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Trumaine Johnson will for sure be a FA. Rams have Peters and Talib now. Do we want him?

Vinny Curry has been released by the Eagles. Apparently had a good year on the edge but it didn't show in his stats. I have no idea on him.

Lots of movement in the NFL right now.

FatDT
03-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Tyrann Mathieu also expected to be cut from AZ. Probably don't need him but that's another name that other teams can chase after.

Dam8610
03-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Tyrann Mathieu also expected to be cut from AZ. Probably don't need him but that's another name that other teams can chase after.

Isn't Mathieu a SS? He'll only be 26 this upcoming season, and he's certainly better than anything else on the market. I wouldn't be opposed to adding him if the team thinks he'd be a good compliment to Hooker.

FatDT
03-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Isn't Mathieu a SS? He'll only be 26 this upcoming season, and he's certainly better than anything else on the market. I wouldn't be opposed to adding him if the team thinks he'd be a good compliment to Hooker.

I thought he played FS.

HoosierinFL
03-09-2018, 02:26 PM
ANd now Richard Sherman will be available.
mixed feelings. hmm...

Dam8610
03-09-2018, 03:05 PM
I thought he played FS.

Tackle numbers suggest SS. Either way, I'd be on board if Ballard thinks he'll work well with Hooker.

testcase448
03-09-2018, 03:12 PM

“Just About Everybody Believes” Colts Will Sign Anthony Hitchens (https://horseshoeheroes.com/2018/03/09/colts-just-everybody-believes-sign-anthony-hitchens/)

Maniac
03-09-2018, 06:32 PM
mixed feelings. hmm...

an aging CB coming off surgery on both Achilles? He won't ever be close to the same again.

Butter
03-09-2018, 08:25 PM
mixed feelings. hmm...

Would completely depend on price.

Puck
03-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Would completely depend on price.

Yep. At 80% he's still better than anyone we have. And I'm not Sherman fan

FatDT
03-09-2018, 08:44 PM
The NFL has gone trade bonkers.

YDFL Commish
03-09-2018, 10:04 PM
The NFL has gone trade bonkers.

And that is a good thing. Whatever part of the CBA that caused this needs to be retained. The practice rules have got to go.

DrSpaceman
03-09-2018, 10:46 PM
So does not seem Cleveland will be drafting a QB #1 now.

How does this affect the Colts?

Is it more likely Barkley and Chubb go #1/2 now?

And does the #3 pick become more valuable in trade due to more chances for the top QB available at that pick? Or less valuable since now you may be able to pick up a top QB lower down without Cleveland taking one?

rcubed
03-10-2018, 02:23 AM

And does the #3 pick become more valuable in trade due to more chances for the top QB available at that pick? Or less valuable since now you may be able to pick up a top QB lower down without Cleveland taking one?
to hard to tell. if CLE takes barkley 1 and chubb goes 2, then there are a lot of QBs for the next couple slots. we are not taking a QB so jets and donkos could sit tight and see who is left after CLE goes at 4. depends on how in love with a particular guy they are that might make then want to leap frog one of the others.

Dam8610
03-10-2018, 03:09 AM

Why does trading for Tyrod Taylor mean that Cleveland won't draft a QB?

Maniac
03-10-2018, 06:00 AM
Yep. At 80% he's still better than anyone we have. And I'm not Sherman fan

He may not be anywhere near 80% after the injuries he had and the position he plays.

VeveJones007
03-10-2018, 11:12 AM
Why does trading for Tyrod Taylor mean that Cleveland won't draft a QB?

They’ll definitely draft a QB. It just may make them more likely to target a QB at 4 rather than 1. Reports are that they are infatuated by Barkley. If they think the Giants want him, then they have to take him at 1.

Dam8610
03-10-2018, 11:29 AM
They’ll definitely draft a QB. It just may make them more likely to target a QB at 4 rather than 1. Reports are that they are infatuated by Barkley. If they think the Giants want him, then they have to take him at 1.

Them drafting Barkley at 1 is perfect to me. It removes any temptation the Colts might have to draft Barkley at 3, and gives the Colts a 3 team derby in the "trade down and still get Chubb" sweepstakes, adding the Browns to the Broncos and Jets as potential suitors for the 3rd pick, and Cleveland has more draft firepower than either of the other two. I don't see how the Giants don't take their QB of choice in that scenario (Eli is 37 and on the decline, any feigned interest in another player/position is a smokescreen to not be blatantly obvious), so that would leave the Colts at 3 with Chubb and the top 3 QBs on the board, which means you call each of the Browns, Broncos, and Jets and inform them that now is their chance to get their choice QB of the ones left. I think one of them bites and the Colts still get Chubb.

Puck
03-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Them drafting Barkley at 1 is perfect to me. It removes any temptation the Colts might have to draft Barkley at 3, and gives the Colts a 3 team derby in the "trade down and still get Chubb" sweepstakes, adding the Browns to the Broncos and Jets as potential suitors for the 3rd pick, and Cleveland has more draft firepower than either of the other two. I don't see how the Giants don't take their QB of choice in that scenario (Eli is 37 and on the decline, any feigned interest in another player/position is a smokescreen to not be blatantly obvious), so that would leave the Colts at 3 with Chubb and the top 3 QBs on the board, which means you call each of the Browns, Broncos, and Jets and inform them that now is their chance to get their choice QB of the ones left. I think one of them bites and the Colts still get Chubb.

Add the bills in there

FatDT
03-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Add the bills in there

Unless I'm missing a trade somewhere the Bills don't have the picks to move up.

Maniac
03-11-2018, 08:57 AM

They can throw in future year's picks can't they?

VeveJones007
03-11-2018, 11:14 AM

By the draft value chart, Bills could move their two firsts, a second, and a third to get roughly equal value to #3.

YDFL Commish
03-11-2018, 11:42 AM
By the draft value chart, Bills could move their two firsts, a second, and a third to get roughly equal value to #3.

Nope. 21 and 22 are too far back for my liking.

FatDT
03-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Agreed, the talent likely available all the way in the 20s isn't good enough to justify trading back that far. We will rarely be able to draft players in the top 5. Let's not waste that just to acquire more picks that will not be difference-makers.

FatDT
03-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie being released by the Giants. Dunno how good he still is but any new name on the CB market only helps us.

Maniac
03-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Unless you can then trade back up some, but you have to be sure, otherwise that is too far to move back.

Puck
03-11-2018, 04:16 PM

But you could combine the 21 and 22 which equal 1580 points and move back up to 7th and keep the 2nd and 3rd from Bills this yr and their 1st next yr and take Nelson

Dam8610
03-11-2018, 04:41 PM
But you could combine the 21 and 22 which equal 1580 points and move back up to 7th and keep the 2nd and 3rd from Bills this yr and their 1st next yr and take Nelson

The Bucs aren't trading back that far if the Colts do, they'll be smart, stay put, and get Chubb. That's why the Colts can't trade back past 7.

Indiana V2
03-11-2018, 04:54 PM
I don't expect any free agent deals to be announced by the Colts until the player is signed, however players reaching agreements with the Colts may announce their intentions on Twitter.

DrSpaceman
03-11-2018, 06:50 PM
So just a general question......

I thought the Free agency period was not open yet, so how can Richard Sherman meet with the 49ers and sign a deal already? Or at least reach a deal?

Colt Classic
03-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Is it because he was released?

Spike
03-11-2018, 07:12 PM
So just a general question......

I thought the Free agency period was not open yet, so how can Richard Sherman meet with the 49ers and sign a deal already? Or at least reach a deal?

I believe because he was cut, he can negotiate with anyone, anytime.

Spike
03-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Is it because he was released?

Yes!

VeveJones007
03-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Agree, but technically Buffalo has the picks to move up...if the Colts were willing to move down that far.

FatDT
03-11-2018, 07:40 PM
He was cut rather than his contract expiring so he immediately became a FA.

Puck
03-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Agree, but technically Buffalo has the picks to move up...if the Colts were willing to move down that far.

Here is what "could" happen if that trade was

https://footballdungeon.com/mocks/duane-livelys-post-combine-mock/

Spike
03-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Here is what Walter Football has to say about Landry so take it for what it is worth.

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/BostonCollege_logo.gif

Harold Landry, DE/OLB, Boston College
Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.67.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.
2/24/18: Multiple teams sources told me that Landry belongs on the second day of the 2018 NFL Draft. They labeled his senior year tape as not impressive. Landry had a big drop in his pass-rush production year over year and put together some ugly games in run defense. Sources say that Landry is smaller than his listed numbers of 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, too. They believe he is an inch or two shorter and weighs in the 240s, which makes him more of a linebacker's body type for the NFL. Teams that run a 4-3 defense have concerns about Landry holding up on the edge because he is very undersized to be a base end. More than one NFL source sees Landry as a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

In 2017, Landry had 38 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, five sacks and two passes broken up. The senior missed a few games with an ankle injury late in the year.

Landry was a liability versus the run against the Fighting Irish, recording only one tackle while Notre Dame ran for seven touchdowns and had two players exceed 200 yards rushing. On the vast majority of his plays, Landry went against a freshman right tackle, yet was ineffective. Landry also lost his few reps against Mike McGlinchey, plus got rag dolled by Quenton Nelson. It was an ugly performance for Landry. He was slightly better against Clemson.

Rather keep our pick and take Chubb if he is available. And if the Colts do trade back, don't trade back that damn far.

Indiana V2
03-11-2018, 08:52 PM

Aw, hail no!!!

Spike
03-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Aw, hail no!!!

I agree. I don't like this trade back with Buffalo bullshit at all.

Colt Classic
03-11-2018, 09:24 PM
No thanks, they need to tell Buffalo to turn those picks into something higher than that, then talk trade.

Indiana V2
03-11-2018, 10:13 PM
No thanks, they need to tell Buffalo to turn those picks into something higher than that, then talk trade.

I will really question Ballard's competency of he would trade that far back.

Dewey 5
03-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Aw, hail no!!!

More like, fuck that!

Maniac
03-12-2018, 02:23 AM

I don't think he would. He spoke in a presser or interview a little while back and said that when you have a pick this high, you need to get an impact player for your franchise.

Racehorse
03-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Any guesses at who gets almost signed by who on Day 1?

Indiana V2
03-12-2018, 07:16 AM
Any guesses at who gets almost signed by who on Day 1?

I don't think signings are official until Wednesday, so the Colts won't announce a thing until then due to the McDaniels debacle.

FatDT
03-12-2018, 09:24 AM
I don't think signings are official until Wednesday, so the Colts won't announce a thing until then due to the McDaniels debacle.

That won't keep the players or their agents from leaking info.

rcubed
03-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Peter Schrager

@PSchrags
Compensation for Cordy Glenn trade:

Bills and Bengals swap 1st Round picks. Bills go to 12. Bengals go to 21

Would you trade back to 12? (plus other compensation of course)

Dam8610
03-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Peter Schrager

@PSchrags

Now all they need to do is flip 12 to 7 and they can be in the "Trade down and still get Chubb" sweepstakes.

FatDT
03-12-2018, 06:19 PM
12 probably still too far to drop.

njcoltfan
03-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Peter Schrager

@PSchrags

Fuck no, if Ballard does that, and doesn't draft Chubb, some one should piss in his Cheerios!!

Puck
03-12-2018, 07:11 PM
12 probably still too far to drop.

So think about the fact that the Bill would also have to add in 3.1 to make the draft chart points close to equal. Probably get even more than that... but anyway.

Would you rather have Chubb or get one of

Edmunds, Landry, Vea, Smith or Nelson at 12 and possibly Davenport, Key, Guice, Michel, Conner or Vander Esch at 21?

Could get 2 very good edge guys for the price of one... or 2 very good Olineman for the price of Chubb.

Then an extra third and possibly a 4th or 5th added in there?

Seems like a pretty good move to me... we have lots of holes to fill

VeveJones007
03-12-2018, 07:57 PM
So think about the fact that the Bill would also have to add in 3.1 to make the draft chart points close to equal. Probably get even more than that... but anyway.

Edmunds, Landry, Vea, Smith or Nelson at 12 and possibly Davenport, Key, Guice, Michel, Conner or Vander Esch at 21?

Could get 2 very good edge guys for the price of one... or 2 very good Olineman for the price of Chubb.

I take Chubb all day if he’s there. If he isn’t, I’m taking 12, 21, and 53 unless Browns, Jets, or Broncos can beat it. If the Giants aren’t picking a QB, then they’re a logical trade partner for the Bills as well.

Puck
03-12-2018, 08:33 PM
I take Chubb all day if he’s there. If he isn’t, I’m taking 12, 21, and 53 unless Browns, Jets, or Broncos can beat it. If the Giants aren’t picking a QB, then they’re a logical trade partner for the Bills as well.

I guess i just haven't bought into the Chubb hype. Not sure I wouldnt rather have the combo of Nelson and Davenport. And then have an extra 2nd or third for more picks

Coltsalr
03-12-2018, 09:15 PM
UPDATE: A league source told The Record and NorthJersey.com that Norwell has narrowed his choices to three finalists: the Giants, the 49ers and the Indianapolis Colts.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2018/03/12/ny-giants-potential-free-agent-targets/411244002/

Sign him, Ballard!

Puck
03-12-2018, 09:20 PM
UPDATE: A league source told The Record and NorthJersey.com that Norwell has narrowed his choices to three finalists: the Giants, the 49ers and the Indianapolis Colts.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2018/03/12/ny-giants-potential-free-agent-targets/411244002/

Sign him, Ballard!

Ballard better not try to low ball him, because the Giants will not!

VeveJones007
03-12-2018, 09:21 PM
I guess i just haven't bought into the Chubb hype. Not sure I wouldnt rather have the combo of Nelson and Davenport. And then have an extra 2nd or third for more picks

You think you’re getting Nelson with a trade down to 12, or are you suggesting him at 3?

VeveJones007
03-12-2018, 09:22 PM

Sign him, Ballard!

All Ballard can do is make a competitive offer and this means he is.

Indiana V2
03-12-2018, 09:33 PM

Sign him, Ballard!

Git 'er done.!

smitty46953
03-12-2018, 09:43 PM
You think you’re getting Nelson with a trade down to 12, or are you suggesting him at 3?

No way Nelson is there at 12 barring an unexpected setback of some type. I personally want to trade back and fill more holes. If not then protect Luck and take Nelson and be glad you did... :cool:

Coltsalr
03-12-2018, 10:00 PM
All Ballard can do is make a competitive offer and this means he is.

I’d hand him a blank check and make it known that we will NOT be outbid.

Dewey 5
03-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Ballard better not try to low ball him, because the Giants will not!

Nor will SF.

VeveJones007
03-12-2018, 10:09 PM
I’d hand him a blank check and make it known that we will NOT be outbid.

You can’t run any sort of business that way. If you do, you’ll only fail.

VeveJones007
03-12-2018, 10:11 PM
No way Nelson is there at 12 barring an unexpected setback of some type. I personally want to trade back and fill more holes. If not then protect Luck and take Nelson and be glad you did... :cool:

Agreed on him not being there. My preferences are pretty straightforward:

1) Take Chubb
2) Trade back to 4, 5, or 6 and pick either Nelson or Smith

Coltsalr
03-12-2018, 10:17 PM
You can’t run any sort of business that way. If you do, you’ll only fail.

You also can’t run any sort of business not protecting your greatest asset.

You’ll only fail. As Grigson found out.

FatDT
03-12-2018, 10:21 PM
It's not like Ballard would treat every FA this way. Norwell is a proven top player at a position where talent is incredibly scarce. Pay him $15 or$16 million per year. Whatever it takes.

Dam8610
03-12-2018, 10:22 PM

I'd take Davenport and Vander Esch in your scenario, and I'd still rather have Chubb.

Coltsalr
03-12-2018, 10:25 PM
It's not like Ballard would treat every FA this way. Norwell is a proven top player at a position where talent is incredibly scarce. Pay him $15 or$16 million per year. Whatever it takes.

Yep. Aside from Luck himself, I would not advocate this approach anywhere else.

The need is too great at that position. Throw whatever it takes at it.

VeveJones007
03-12-2018, 10:34 PM
You also can’t run any sort of business not protecting your greatest asset.

You’ll only fail. As Grigson found out.

You can protect Luck without paying Norwell $15MM/year.

VeveJones007
03-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Because you have to pay 60 players and have major holes at 10 starting positions?

Does anyone do a budget for their household? Paying $15MM/year for Norwell is like buying a Lamborghini and having to shop at Walmart.

Dam8610
03-12-2018, 10:45 PM

That's too much. Maybe a 5/$65 to beat Zeitler's deal, but I'd want a good portion of that money and all of the guarantees to be in the first two years.

Dewey 5
03-12-2018, 11:08 PM

Sign him, Ballard!

If lands anywhere other the than with the Giants I will be shocked.

YDFL Commish
03-13-2018, 12:15 AM
If lands anywhere other the than with the Giants I will be shocked.

I thought that a lot of the players didn't like Gettlemen in Carolina?

njcoltfan
03-13-2018, 07:18 AM
Norwell to the Jags, according to NFL network !! To the fuckin Jags !!!!.!

Coltsalr
03-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Wow, this appears to be drying up pretty quickly:

@RapSheet
The #Chiefs are now adding a big weapon on defense: They plan to sign former #Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9M per year, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.

Spike
03-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Damn it!!!!!

Maniac
03-13-2018, 08:39 AM
Wow, this appears to be drying up pretty quickly:

@RapSheet
The #Chiefs are now adding a big weapon on defense: They plan to sign former #Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9M per year, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.

He is not that good anyway.

Maniac
03-13-2018, 08:40 AM

That sucks. 5 years $66.5 million supposedly (not sure the guaranteed number)

They won't be able to keep that team together very long at all then. They will have a lot of contracts coming up and a lot of their defensive guys will deserve a big pay day.

Coltsalr
03-13-2018, 09:22 AM
He is not that good anyway.

Much better than Antonio Morrison.

Then again, you’re probably better than Antonio Morrison.

FatDT
03-13-2018, 09:41 AM
Because you have to pay 60 players and have major holes at 10 starting positions?

Does anyone do a budget for their household? Paying $15MM/year for Norwell is like buying a Lamborghini and having to shop at Walmart.

You're full of dumb comparisons. The cap goes up every year and we've already signed our franchise QB to a huge contract. By the time Norwell's contract even looked like it could one day be a problem the cap will have gone up over $200M and once again the team would've been fine.

But it doesn't matter because instead the best team in our division, with way less cap space and 5x the blue chip players on their roster, is signing him to a contract that we easily could've beaten. Ballard pissed away the chance to sign a good guard or tackle last year when there were multiple options. And now we're missing out on the biggest and clearest OL upgrade when we have what, the 2nd most cap space in the league? None of the other OL options are even close to Norwell's level.

New GM, new coach, 26 games missed by Luck, and we are still dicking around with the OL. We now have to go OL early in the draft.

njcoltfan
03-13-2018, 09:59 AM
You're full of dumb comparisons. The cap goes up every year and we've already signed our franchise QB to a huge contract. By the time Norwell's contract even looked like it could one day be a problem the cap will have gone up over $200M and once again the team would've been fine.

But it doesn't matter because instead the best team in our division, with way less cap space and 5x the blue chip players on their roster, is signing him to a contract that we easily could've beaten. Ballard pissed away the chance to sign a good guard or tackle last year when there were multiple options. And now we're missing out on the biggest and clearest OL upgrade when we have what, the 2nd most cap space in the league? None of the other OL options are even close to Norwell's level.

New GM, new coach, 26 games missed by Luck, and we are still dicking around with the OL. We now have to go OL early in the draft.

Speaking of our GM, I’m starting to wonder just how good he is. Does anyone think that Irsay might be having a negative effect on free agents signing with the Colts ??

FatDT
03-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Speaking of our GM, I’m starting to wonder just how good he is. Does anyone think that Irsay might be having a negative effect on free agents signing with the Colts ??

I'm not ready to question him too hard yet, FA for this team was pretty good last season, and I was happy with the draft. The McDaniels situation made him look kind of stupid but we ended up with Reich, who could prove to be the better HC.

It is just going to suck watching Norwell stuff our guys twice a year, while Luck runs for his life against the Jaguars pass rush.

Maniac
03-13-2018, 10:19 AM

How much did Ballard offer Norwell?

Coltsalr
03-13-2018, 10:21 AM
How much did Ballard offer Norwell?

Not enough, apparently.

Maniac
03-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Not enough, apparently.

That's the answer I expected, because you don't know and neither does FatDT, yet Ballard "pissed away the chance." Unless you know for sure what Ballard offered wasn't competitive, then making that statement is dumb.

Racehorse
03-13-2018, 10:44 AM
That's the answer I expected, because you don't know and neither does FatDT, yet Ballard "pissed away the chance." Unless you know for sure what Ballard offered wasn't competitive, then making that statement is dumb.

Blaming a GM for not getting a guy to sign a contract is stupid, unless we know the actual numbers and years offered. We don't, so I will hold my opinion on losing out until I hear what we offered. Even then, a player also has to want to sign with whoever offers the contract.

FatDT
03-13-2018, 10:53 AM

Larry Warford, Kevin Zeitler, Andrew Whitworth, TJ Lang, Russell Okung, and now Andrew Norwell. Lots of talent going to other teams and our OL is still a fucking mess. But I guess Ballard must have offered all those guy competitive deals and for whatever reason they all chose other teams.

Maniac
03-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Larry Warford, Kevin Zeitler, Andrew Whitworth, TJ Lang, Russell Okung, and now Andrew Norwell. Lots of talent going to other teams and our OL is still a fucking mess. But I guess Ballard must have offered all those guy competitive deals and for whatever reason they all chose other teams.

Go ahead and name every free agent out there that the Colts didn't sign, so you can blame Ballard for all of them. :rolleyes:

1965southpaw
03-13-2018, 11:25 AM

I don't think it's an Irsay (or Ballard) effect. I think its a winning effect. We won 4 games last year and so far haven't drafted anyone new so we are still a product of that record with no real reason for free agents to think we can be better.....other than the promise of a better design on offense and defense. Free agents, I think, are trying to optimize their ability to get paid AND compete for championships. Let's face it. Right now colts are not an attractive destination and won't be until we have a couple of good drafts. The fact that Jax is a contender, is willing to pay, and oh by the way has NO INCOME TAX sucks for us but he made a smart choice.

Dewey 5
03-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Apparently Ballard & the Colts are sitting this one out.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Might as well focus on DT, LB, and CB at this point, that's where the value is.

Coltsalr
03-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Take Trey Burton off the list too:

@AdamSchefter
Former Eagles’ TE Trey Burton intends to sign a 4-year, $32 million deal with the Bears, as @MikeGarafolo reported.

FatDT
03-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Go ahead and name every free agent out there that the Colts didn't sign, so you can blame Ballard for all of them. :rolleyes:

Why would I do that? Did I say he should be targeting every FA? Did anyone? You are arguing against a point that no one is making.

Are you satisfied with how the OL has been addressed since Luck was drafted? How about since Ballard was hired?

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Andrew Norwell was a UDFA. Hopefully, the Colts can find the next one.

rcubed
03-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Andrew Norwell was a UDFA. Hopefully, the Colts can find the next one.
'Hope' is not an effective strategy.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 11:50 AM
'Hope' is not an effective strategy.

You're right, but effective pro and college scouting is a good strategy. If the Colts don't have that, they'll be in trouble anyway.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 11:56 AM
The overreaction here reminds me of the Polian days, when the Colts would only sign a few young scrap heap players and everyone would be clamoring that enough wasn't done, then the team would get big contributions from scrap heap FAs and UDFAs and be among the best in the league. Just be patient and see how it plays out. They're going to have to spend some money in FA to meet their cap requirements, so we'll get some guys.

Targets I like:

John Brown
Dontari Poe
Sheldon Richardson
Nigel Bradham
Kyle Fuller
Carlos Hyde
Doug Martin
Bashaud Breeland
Zach Brown
Muhammad Wilkerson
Eric Reid
Tyler Eifert
Jordan Matthews
Ryan Jensen

FatDT
03-13-2018, 12:05 PM
I don't care about other FAs. I am generally in favor of building through the draft and only getting deals in FA. Norwell this year, or one of the several top OL FAs last year, should've been an exception. We can't put Luck behind a shit line again. Can't do it. We MIGHT have two starters we can count on going into this season.

rcubed
03-13-2018, 12:12 PM
I don't care about other FAs. I am generally in favor of building through the draft and only getting deals in FA. Norwell this year, or one of the several top OL FAs last year, should've been an exception. We can't put Luck behind a shit line again. Can't do it. We MIGHT have two starters we can count on going into this season.
Agree. I am not freaking out over FA, we are a ways away from really competing so build through the draft. However, we do have a lot of cap space and I wanted norwell. We gotta stop fucking around with the line.

VeveJones007
03-13-2018, 12:14 PM

Very true, but I can argue the same about WR2, EDGE, MLB, WILL, and CB1. Have to be very careful overpaying a guard when those premium spots need filling.

Indiana V2
03-13-2018, 12:19 PM
So what is the purpose of all this cap space?

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Looks like Cousins to Vikings. That helps the Colts if they want to trade down and still get Chubb.

Maniac
03-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Why would I do that? Did I say he should be targeting every FA? Did anyone? You are arguing against a point that no one is making.

Actually I'm arguing against your overreaction.

Go get your emotional support peacock and have a good cry.

FatDT
03-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Very true, but I can argue the same about WR2, EDGE, MLB, WILL, and CB1. Have to be very careful overpaying a guard when those premium spots need filling.

None of those positions blocks for Luck, and only WR had even close to the same caliber of player available in FA. The difference there is obvious.

Actually I'm arguing against your overreaction.

Go get your emotional support peacock and have a good cry.

Good one, sweet internet ref.

VeveJones007
03-13-2018, 01:14 PM
It's looking more like Ballard sees this as a three year rebuild. I wouldn't be shocked to see him move back.

Like Dam said, Cousins to Vikings helps the Colts with regard to moving back. I see 4, 5, 6, 11, and 12 as very likely possibilities. 12 would undoubtedly provide the most capital in this draft, but you would definitely miss on Chubb and Nelson.

VeveJones007
03-13-2018, 01:16 PM
None of those positions blocks for Luck, and only WR had even close to the same caliber of player available in FA. The difference there is obvious.

Good one, sweet internet ref.

Completely agree. I would love for the Colts to sign two great OL. I also recognize that there are two additional factors:

1) Many parts of the roster still need significant work. See my last post about how Ballard may view this as a longer rebuild.
2) Players have to want to come to Indy.

With those two factors in mind, I can't condemn Ballard with any degree of certainty.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 01:17 PM
It's looking more like Ballard sees this as a three year rebuild. I wouldn't be shocked to see him move back.

Like Dam said, Cousins to Vikings helps the Colts with regard to moving back. I see 4, 5, 6, 11, and 12 as very likely possibilities. 12 would undoubtedly provide the most capital in this draft, but you would definitely miss on Chubb and Nelson.

4, 5, and 6 are the only current move back options. The Colts need Chubb. Trading back is not worth losing him.

VeveJones007
03-13-2018, 01:21 PM
4, 5, and 6 are the only current move back options. The Colts need Chubb. Trading back is not worth losing him.

We don't know the medicals on Chubb. If those are clean, I completely agree.

A medical flag and the remote possibility Chubb goes 2 are the only reasons I listed 11 and 12.

YDFL Commish
03-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Take Trey Burton off the list too:

@AdamSchefter
Former Eagles’ TE Trey Burton intends to sign a 4-year, $32 million deal with the Bears, as @MikeGarafolo reported.

He was never on my list.

Coltsalr
03-13-2018, 01:29 PM
He was never on my list.

He certainly wasn't on my mine at $8M per year (seriously, wtf?)

I had just thought he might be a potential target with Reich as the new coach.

YDFL Commish
03-13-2018, 01:29 PM
It is just going to suck watching Norwell stuff our guys twice a year, while Luck runs for his life against the Jaguars pass rush.

He won't be running for his life, because the ball will be coming out of his hand much quicker than in the past.

YDFL Commish
03-13-2018, 01:31 PM
He certainly wasn't on my mine at $8M per year (seriously, wtf?)

I had just thought he might be a potential target with Reich as the new coach.

I can't see Reich pushing hard for Burton, because he was a role player, who really offers nothing special.

Reich knows that.

It's also why I don't expect the Colts to go after Jordan Matthews.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 01:36 PM
I can't see Reich pushing hard for Burton, because he was a role player, who really offers nothing special.

Reich knows that.

He makes sense of he's paid like a mid tier FA/borderline starter. I think he and John Brown would be interesting additions to the receiving corps.

Coltsalr
03-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Reich knows that.

Certainly not pushing hard for him to the point of $8m/year.

If a stupid team (like the Bears) wants to overpay marginal talent, there's obviously nothing you can do about that.

njcoltfan
03-13-2018, 01:49 PM
He won't be running for his life, because the ball will be coming out of his hand much quicker than in the past.

It better !!!

FatDT
03-13-2018, 02:17 PM

I think there's a lot more to it than that. Yeah in Chud's offense the QB had to hold the ball too long. But Vujnovich, Haeg, Clark, and Good are all backups. They're not good enough. I'd be ok with one of them (not Vujnovich) starting if we got clear upgrades at the other two spots. But outside of Pugh (if his back is actually healed) I'm not convinced those players exist in FA or where we're likely to pick in the draft.

VeveJones007
03-13-2018, 02:47 PM
I think there's a lot more to it than that. Yeah in Chud's offense the QB had to hold the ball too long. But Vujnovich, Haeg, Clark, and Good are all backups. They're not good enough. I'd be ok with one of them (not Vujnovich) starting if we got clear upgrades at the other two spots. But outside of Pugh (if his back is actually healed) I'm not convinced those players exist in FA or where we're likely to pick in the draft.

It may have been the interview with Cowherd, but I remember Ballard listing interior OL as one of the best positions in the draft. Maybe he has his eye on 1-2 guys there.

njcoltfan
03-13-2018, 02:57 PM
So what is the purpose of all this cap space?
Good question, so they can roll it into next year and not over spend then?? If your not willing to over pay to protect your #1 asset, then I don’t know what your willing to spend it on.

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 03:11 PM
It may have been the interview with Cowherd, but I remember Ballard listing interior OL as one of the best positions in the draft. Maybe he has his eye on 1-2 guys there.

With the third pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select Guard Quenton Nelson from Notre Dame ...

Meanwhile the pain in the right shoulder of Andrew Luck subsides a bit ... :cool:

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Remember all of the "Do something Grigs" posts a couple years ago? Where are they now? :cool:

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Good question, so they can roll it into next year and not over spend then?? If your not willing to over pay to protect your #1 asset, then I don’t know what your willing to spend it on.

First, it's not even day one of free agency. These reported deals are just rumors right now. As we all (thankfully) learned, headlines mean nothing until they sign the contract. Second, Andrew Norwell was the best but not the only option out there. There are still starting caliber OL out there and the Colts could spread the money they would've spent on Norwell out to two or three guys who might solidify the line better than one big contract. For example, Justin Pugh and Ryan Jensen could probably be signed for a similar amount of money. Third, if the Colts have a large amount to roll over, it might not be a bad idea to keep rolling it over until such time as they have their own guys worthy of retaining. That was a big struggle for the 00s Colts, and it could be lessened by rollover cap space when the time comes.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 03:17 PM
With the third pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select Guard Quenton Nelson from Notre Dame ...

Meanwhile the pain in the right shoulder of Andrew Luck subsides a bit ... :cool:

A UDFA guard is about to get a huge contact and you want to spend the #3 overall pick on a guard? The positional value isn't there. That pick has to be Chubb.

1965southpaw
03-13-2018, 03:27 PM
JMV is saying right now that Louis Riddick is suggesting that Bills are talking with the Colts about the #3 pick. Speculation.....not reporting but still......

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 03:43 PM
A UDFA guard is about to get a huge contact and you want to spend the #3 overall pick on a guard? The positional value isn't there. That pick has to be Chubb.

Yes I do, I am always for the big ugly guys Dammy, always have been ...
Hell I am one you met me remember? :cool:
Doesn't do us any good to rush the passer if Luck is on sidelines hurt ... Just my opinion

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 03:50 PM
JMV is saying right now that Louis Riddick is suggesting that Bills are talking with the Colts about the #3 pick. Speculation.....not reporting but still......

They don't have enough to get to 3. 12 doesn't guarantee Chubb or Davenport. Getting an impact pass rusher out of this pick is more important than trading down and value. If they move up to at least 7 and still have either 21 or their 2019 1, that would be doable. Without that, no thanks.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Yes I do, I am always for the big ugly guys Dammy, always have been ...
Hell I am one you met me remember? :cool:
Doesn't do us any good to rush the passer if Luck is on sidelines hurt ... Just my opinion

Chubb is DL, just as much "big uglies". My point was quality guards can be found later (much later) in the draft. Finding quality pass rushers later in the draft is a lot harder.

VeveJones007
03-13-2018, 04:15 PM
They don't have enough to get to 3. 12 doesn't guarantee Chubb or Davenport. Getting an impact pass rusher out of this pick is more important than trading down and value. If they move up to at least 7 and still have either 21 or their 2019 1, that would be doable. Without that, no thanks.

We know the Bills would love to move up. We don't know if the Colts are serious about moving down.

The speculation doesn't suggest anything otherwise.

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Chubb is DL, just as much "big uglies". My point was quality guards can be found later (much later) in the draft. Finding quality pass rushers later in the draft is a lot harder.

I know your point quite well, not as sold on Chubb as you obviously are. There are quality guards sure but not quite like Nelson. If we don't protect our franchise QB all is for naught in my opinion. Not trying to change your mind... Just be glad I am not the guy who gets to pick. You will probably get Chubb at #3 and can say I told ya so. All that I still take Nelson ... :cool:

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Donte Moncrief expected to sign with Jaguars

:cool:

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/374268/donte-moncrief-expected-to-sign-with-jaguars?ls=roto:JAC:topheadlines

ukcolt
03-13-2018, 05:40 PM
I really like Chubb, but do think that Nelson could very well be the best player from this draft, and i don't care what position the best player is from....you pick him if you have the chance.

rcubed
03-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Donte Moncrief expected to sign with Jaguars

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/374268/donte-moncrief-expected-to-sign-with-jaguars?ls=roto:JAC:topheadlines
popular place last couple years

rcubed
03-13-2018, 05:51 PM
popular place last couple years
Jordy Nelson for our annual old-WR-FA signing??

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 05:54 PM
I really like Chubb, but do think that Nelson could very well be the best player from this draft, and i don't care what position the best player is from....you pick him if you have the chance.

There's some hyperbole going on here with Nelson. His value is his consistency, but no one will ever convince me that an elite guard will have as much of an impact on any given game as an elite pass rusher or an elite QB. If Nelson was a LT, I could understand the argument for him, but he's not. He's a guard. Guards have value, but not Top 5 pick value. This is about building a championship team, and the Colts will not do that by picking a guard in the Top 5.

Think about all the Super Bowls you've ever watched. Did you ever think "(Insert Team)'s starting guard is going to be a key factor in this game"? Now, did you ever think "(Insert Team)'s top pass rusher is going to be a key factor in this game"? I'd be willing to bet the first thought has never crossed your mind, while the second is a near annual occurrence. That's why you don't take Nelson Top 5. Chubb is the only choice that makes sense for this team.

YDFL Commish
03-13-2018, 06:13 PM
There are other options people.

Isaiah Wynn and Will Hernandez are both better than we currently have.

Sign both Pugh and Mewhort to 1 yr prove it deals.

This isn't NCAA Basketball, where the with best guards win the championship.

FatDT
03-13-2018, 06:42 PM
I like Hernandez. If we can get him in the 2nd we're in good shape.

rcubed
03-13-2018, 06:54 PM
reports are we were in on watkins

Dianna Russini

@diannaESPN
The Rams gave up a 2nd rounder in August to get Sammy Watkins and they wanted him back badly. They thought they would too. The price was too high, I'm told. The Chiefs, Colts, and Bears were all in the final mix. Kansas City won.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 07:16 PM
reports are we were in on watkins

Dianna Russini

@diannaESPN
The Rams gave up a 2nd rounder in August to get Sammy Watkins and they wanted him back badly. They thought they would too. The price was too high, I'm told. The Chiefs, Colts, and Bears were all in the final mix. Kansas City won.

I think they'll also be in on Brown and Matthews, then.

YDFL Commish
03-13-2018, 07:17 PM
I applaud Ballard for not overspending and fucking up the locker room. Very Polianesque.

FatDT
03-13-2018, 07:31 PM
Glad we didn't get Watkins.

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Malcolm Butler, Titans Agree to 5-Year, $61M Contract

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Wow CBs are getting overpaid. Butler over $12 million AAV on a 5 year deal to the Titans and Johnson going to the Jets on a $15 million AAV deal. Makes Breeland to the Panthers for $8 million AAV look reasonable.

YDFL Commish
03-13-2018, 08:19 PM
All the AFC South teams are over spending to acquire talent. But are they getting better?

Puck
03-13-2018, 08:22 PM
There's some hyperbole going on here with Nelson. His value is his consistency, but no one will ever convince me that an elite guard will have as much of an impact on any given game as an elite pass rusher or an elite QB. If Nelson was a LT, I could understand the argument for him, but he's not. He's a guard. Guards have value, but not Top 5 pick value. This is about building a championship team, and the Colts will not do that by picking a guard in the Top 5.

Think about all the Super Bowls you've ever watched. Did you ever think "(Insert Team)'s starting guard is going to be a key factor in this game"? Now, did you ever think "(Insert Team)'s top pass rusher is going to be a key factor in this game"? I'd be willing to bet the first thought has never crossed your mind, while the second is a near annual occurrence. That's why you don't take Nelson Top 5. Chubb is the only choice that makes sense for this team.

I think about it every time Luck gets hit or our RB gets stopped for a 3 yd loss

omahacolt
03-13-2018, 08:34 PM
All the AFC South teams are over spending to acquire talent. But are they getting better?

Yes

Better than the colts

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Yes

Better than the colts

If Luck is healthy, Texans with a healthy Watson are the only ones that concern me.

Indiana V2
03-13-2018, 08:49 PM
Jacksonville won the off-season last year, and they came one win away from the Super Bowl, and they are off to a great start this year already...you need to spend money to acquire good talent, being wallflowers is not helping the Colts at all.

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 08:54 PM

You should know about Hyperbole as your full of it more often than not, or at least full of something that could be confused as hyperbole. Heck we all are ...

As for your Super Bowl question, when they talk about an offensive line it is often due to glaring holes, the good lines are seldom mentioned. Take last years Eagles seldom heard anything about them, because they did what they are supposed to do. Other teams like the Cowboys and Steelers have invested in their line. If we build a comparable line to protect Luck we are much better off than Luck standing on sidelines in a sling watching Chubb get a few sacks. Chubb isn't a Mathis or Freeney nor will he be in my opinion ....

However, the Colts will probably take Chubb as that is what all the talking heads think we should do.

I Personally hope we trade back with the Bills and take OT Mike McGlinchy at 12 and OG Will Hernandez at 21 ... :cool:

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 08:55 PM
If Luck is healthy, Texans with a healthy Watson are the only ones that concern me.

He can watch Chubb wearing a sling holding clipboard for Jacoby ... :cool:

VeveJones007
03-13-2018, 09:09 PM

Jags are a couple wins better than the Colts. Those lines are really strong.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 09:26 PM
I think about it every time Luck gets hit or our RB gets stopped for a 3 yd loss

Name the last former top 15 pick to start a Super Bowl at OG. I'll wait.

Meanwhile: Brandon Graham, Vic Beasley, Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs, Justin Smith, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dwight Freeney

I left a lot of guys off who weren't obvious pass rushers but who contributed greatly to their team's pass rush (Fletcher Cox, B.J. Raji, Haloti Ngata, Ty Warren, Richard Seymour).

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 09:41 PM
You should know about Hyperbole as your full of it more often than not, or at least full of something that could be confused as hyperbole. Heck we all are ...

As for your Super Bowl question, when they talk about an offensive line it is often due to glaring holes, the good lines are seldom mentioned. Take last years Eagles seldom heard anything about them, because they did what they are supposed to do. Other teams like the Cowboys and Steelers have invested in their line. If we build a comparable line to protect Luck we are much better off than Luck standing on sidelines in a sling watching Chubb get a few sacks. Chubb isn't a Mathis or Freeney nor will he be in my opinion ....

However, the Colts will probably take Chubb as that is what all the talking heads think we should do.

I Personally hope we trade back with the Bills and take OT Mike McGlinchy at 12 and OG Will Hernandez at 21 ... :cool:

Chubb is not Freeney or Mathis nor does he have to be. J.J. Watt isn't a speed rusher, but he sure as hell is effective as a pass rusher when healthy. Many gifted pass rushers got after the QB despite lacking elite speed, and at 4.65, I'd say Chubb has it for a DE. This defense needs a leader and a franchise player, and this team needs to invest in its defense in a way that it hasn't in a long time. I understand your concern about the OL, but the team has two former first round picks there that are quality players (one needs to be healthy more often) and the positions that need filled are ones you see championship teams fill with late round picks, UDFAs, and free agents in general. And since you're harping on this "Luck in a sling" thing, what does it matter if he's healthy of the other team is dropping 40 every week? By the way, that will get him injured pretty quickly, as well, obvious passing downs are the worst for QBs' health.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Jags are a couple wins better than the Colts. Those lines are really strong.

Blake Bortles negates that.

omahacolt
03-13-2018, 09:45 PM

I do like the colts odds with a healthy Luck and no pagano. Still this team needs talent. Are we going to add any?

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 09:48 PM
I do like the colts odds with a healthy Luck and no pagano. Still this team needs talent. Are we going to add any?

I sure hope so. They kind of have to because CBA. Definitely through the draft. There are actually quite a few interesting free agents still out there. Maybe Ballard doesn't want to hamper himself with mega contracts?

Dewey 5
03-13-2018, 10:45 PM
I applaud Ballard for not overspending and fucking up the locker room. Very Polianesque.

The Polian teams were always contending for a SB. There were some very good established players on those squads.

This is a last place team. They will finish last again in 2018. Hard to fuck up the locker room when you suck & are void of talent.

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 10:50 PM
Name the last former top 15 pick to start a Super Bowl at OG. I'll wait.

There are a few, and they are Hall of Fame caliber selections ...

Leonard Davis (G-DAL) Last one picked (2001,Pick #2)
Johnathon Ogden (G-BAL) (1996, Pick #4) (Drafted as a G) Hall of Fame
John Hannah (G-NE) (1973, Pick #4) Hall of Fame
Tom Mack (G-LAR) (1966, Pick #2) Hall of Fame

Although didn't play in Super Bowl Chris Hinton long time Colt was drafted #4 in 1983 by the Broncos before going to Baltimore played both G and T

Sorry took so long hope your wait wasn't to bad ....

Not saying Nelson belongs in HOF so no need to keep arguing your point, just answering a question :cool:

Indiana V2
03-13-2018, 10:56 PM
Saw someone on Twitter say the Colts were closing in on Carlos Hyde, but I don't know if it was credible.

Dam8610
03-13-2018, 11:00 PM
There are a few, and they are Hall of Fame caliber selections ...

Leonard Davis (G-DAL) Last one picked (2001,Pick #2)
Johnathon Ogden (G-BAL) (1996, Pick #4) (Drafted as a G) Hall of Fame
John Hannah (G-NE) (1973, Pick #4) Hall of Fame
Tom Mack (G-LAR) (1966, Pick #2) Hall of Fame

Although didn't play in Super Bowl Chris Hinton long time Colt was drafted #4 in 1983 by the Broncos before going to Baltimore played both G and T

Sorry took so long hope your wait wasn't to bad ....

Not saying Nelson belongs in HOF so no need to keep arguing your point, just answering a question :cool:

Ogden started at LT in his Super Bowl. So, in the Super Bowl era, there have been 3 former top 15 OGs to start a Super Bowl, while in the past decade, there have been 8 former top 15 pass rushers to start a Super Bowl. I think my point is made.

smitty46953
03-13-2018, 11:20 PM
Ogden started at LT in his Super Bowl. So, in the Super Bowl era, there have been 3 former top 15 OGs to start a Super Bowl, while in the past decade, there have been 8 former top 15 pass rushers to start a Super Bowl. I think my point is made.

Never said he started at G believe it says drafted as a G .. Don't recall anyone saying there were more Guards than pass rushers. Therefore, You had no point to make. Maybe for once you can admit that opinions although different from yours do not require constant argument. I am not trying to sway your opinion nor will you sway mine... :cool:

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 12:17 AM
Saw someone on Twitter say the Colts were closing in on Carlos Hyde, but I don't know if it was credible.

That would be a great pickup.

smitty46953
03-14-2018, 12:22 AM
NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reports free agent Frank Gore will visit the Lions this week. :cool:

Chromeburn
03-14-2018, 12:41 AM
Not enough, apparently.

But, factor in SB contender and no state tax into the equation.

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 12:42 AM
But, factor in SB contender and no state tax into the equation.

Blake. Bortles.

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 12:43 AM
Trumaine Johnson will for sure be a FA. Rams have Peters and Talib now. Do we want him?

Vinny Curry has been released by the Eagles. Apparently had a good year on the edge but it didn't show in his stats. I have no idea on him.

Lots of movement in the NFL right now.

Johnson signing with Jets for $15 million AAV deal.

Chromeburn
03-14-2018, 12:44 AM
NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reports free agent Frank Gore will visit the Lions this week. :cool:

Seems the agents are the ones feeding the rumor mill trying to drive up prices.

Chromeburn
03-14-2018, 12:46 AM
Blake. Bortles.

Average QB, but you can win with an average an if your other pieces are strong such as defense and running game.

A great QB makes things easier, but they don’t need one right now. They are in Sb or bust mode.

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 01:08 AM
Average QB, but you can win with an average an if your other pieces are strong such as defense and running game.

A great QB makes things easier, but they don’t need one right now. They are in Sb or bust mode.

Then they'll bust.

Chromeburn
03-14-2018, 01:22 AM
Then they'll bust.

Worked for Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and the Eagles did it with their backup. So not really out of the realm of possibility.

omahacolt
03-14-2018, 05:55 AM
I sure hope so. They kind of have to because CBA. Definitely through the draft. There are actually quite a few interesting free agents still out there. Maybe Ballard doesn't want to hamper himself with mega contracts?

The colts need talent. And there would be no cap issue with adding 1 or 2 high priced players to get that talent.

VeveJones007
03-14-2018, 08:08 AM
The colts need talent. And there would be no cap issue with adding 1 or 2 high priced players to get that talent.

Just need guys who want to come to Indy.

Indiana V2
03-14-2018, 08:31 AM

Preferably one with talent.

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 08:34 AM

I agree with you, but apparently Ballard doesn't see any of these players as worth the contracts they're getting. Thus far, the only ones that I'd really like to see the Colts beat are the Wilkerson and Breeland contracts.

smitty46953
03-14-2018, 08:36 AM

Nothing really to entice anyone to sign with Indy other than money... :cool:

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 08:52 AM

Andrew Luck took a team that was 2-14 the year prior to the playoffs as a rookie on the strength of 7 game winning drives. That should be enticement enough.

smitty46953
03-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Andrew Luck took a team that was 2-14 the year prior to the playoffs as a rookie on the strength of 7 game winning drives. That should be enticement enough.

Doesn't appear so, at least as of yet, perhaps the questions on his health still a factor? :cool:

VeveJones007
03-14-2018, 09:10 AM

Money being equal, would you place your faith in his right shoulder and move your family to Indiana?

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Money being equal, would you place your faith in his right shoulder and move your family to Indiana?

As opposed to what? The Jets and their no QB? The Browns and Tyrod Taylor? The 49ers and Jimmy five game? The Jaguars and Blake Bortles? The Titans and Marcus "VY" Mariota? The Bears and a second year Trubisky? Because these are where most of these players are going. So, given those options, yes, I think I'd take my chances on Luck.

FatDT
03-14-2018, 09:31 AM

No one will trust Luck's shoulder until he gets on the field and throws and throws well. Luck isn't the draw he was pre-injury.

sherck
03-14-2018, 09:34 AM
As of 9:30am Wednesday:

TEN:
David King, DE, Signed a contract extension with Tennessee
Josh Kline, G, Signed a contract with Tennessee
Dion Lewis, RB, Signed a 4 year $20 million contract with Tennessee
Malcolm Butler, CB, Signed a 5 year $61 million contract with Tennessee

JAX:
D.J. Hayden, CB, Signed a 3 year $19 million contract with Jacksonville
Donte Moncrief, WR, Signed a 1 year $7 million contract with Jacksonville
Marqise Lee, WR, Agreed to a 4 year $38 million contract with Jacksonville
Shane Wynn, WR, Signed a contract with Jacksonville
Andrew Norwell, G, Agreed to a contract with Jacksonville

I like what TEN has done. Very smart signings of guys whom I would have loved to have joined the Colts in Kline, Lews and Butler.

JAX? Yeah, Norwell is the big price but otherwise? Whatever.

Walk Worthy,

Butter
03-14-2018, 09:55 AM
I don't think the Colts are a very attractive FA until Luck proves he is back. I wonder if Ballard feels that next year is still a building season and kicking cap space another year.

IndyNorm
03-14-2018, 09:59 AM

You would think the same could be said of the Browns, but that hasn't stopped them. Guessing that they're overpaying?

Oldcolt
03-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Ballard has a plan and is sticking to it. While I'm with everyone who wants to sign the top free agents, I can at the same time appreciate that this guy stays with his plan. Having an idea of where you want to be AND having a plan to get there is 80% of the fight. Grigson seemed to just flail without any direction. I don't think that there is one right plan but many can work if you stick to it and get everyone sold on it. So while as a fan I'm not satisfied right now, I'm hoping for deep satisfaction in the coming years as he follows his plan for building a team.

Coltsalr
03-14-2018, 10:28 AM
I don't think the Colts are a very attractive FA until Luck proves he is back. I wonder if Ballard feels that next year is still a building season and kicking cap space another year.

He must feel VERY confident in his job security, then.

Two straight years of low win totals is enough to get many guys axed in this business.

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 10:54 AM
He must feel VERY confident in his job security, then.

Two straight years of low win totals is enough to get many guys axed in this business.

By the Browns, sure. Irsay doesn't run his organization like that.

Chromeburn
03-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Then they'll bust.

Maybe, teams have won with average QB play before.

FatDT
03-14-2018, 11:00 AM
I don't think Ballard is anywhere near the hot seat. But if Luck gets hurt again and there was no appreciable improvement on the OL, all bets are off.

Brylok
03-14-2018, 11:19 AM
I don't think Ballard is anywhere near the hot seat. But if Luck gets hurt again and there was no appreciable improvement on the OL, all bets are off.
Some fans are going to come unglued when he trades the #3 pick back in the draft. Fans...

Coltsalr
03-14-2018, 11:33 AM

He wound up getting 4/62.

Yeah, that's insane, I'll agree.

Coltsalr
03-14-2018, 11:33 AM
By the Browns, sure. Irsay doesn't run his organization like that.

For better or worse.

Having a quicker trigger finger on Pagano/Grigson would've put us in a better position than we are today.

Maniac
03-14-2018, 12:14 PM
For better or worse.

Having a quicker trigger finger on Pagano/Grigson would've put us in a better position than we are today.

Well to be fair, Ballard hasn't shown the dysfunction that Grigson and Pagano did while they were here. THAT should have been the clue to Irsay, but he stayed with them anyway.

Ballard should get a fair chance of 3-4 years to show if he can build this team the right way.

Racehorse
03-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Patriots looking at McCArron. Brady to retire if they get a QB not named Hoyer on the roster.

njcoltfan
03-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Am I the only one hoping that come 4pm the Colts announce that they have deals with a couple of these guys: Justin Pugh, Jonathan Cooper, Brendan Mayowa, Dontari Poe and Zach or Preston Brown ?

HoosierinFL
03-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Some fans are going to come unglued when he trades the #3 pick back in the draft. Fans...

Most fans are pretty stupid though. I've seen what people say on the Colts facebook posts.

FatDT
03-14-2018, 12:51 PM
The Colts apparently have a visit scheduled "this week" with Baltimore C/G Ryan Jensen. He's visiting Tampa Bay first though.

HoosierinFL
03-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Well to be fair, Ballard hasn't shown the dysfunction that Grigson and Pagano did while they were here. THAT should have been the clue to Irsay, but he stayed with them anyway.

Ballard should get a fair chance of 3-4 years to show if he can build this team the right way.

If Grigson got as long as he did, Ballard deserves at least that, and more

rcubed
03-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Yeah, i dont see a short leash with ballard. I think irsay knows he screwed up with grigson

FatDT
03-14-2018, 01:53 PM
Colts supposedly pursuing Falcons DE Adrian Clayborn. A guy that has considered retirement because of all his injuries. His wife talked him out of it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/257689/off-six-sack-outing-falcons-adrian-clayborn-reveals-he-pondered-retirement

rcubed
03-14-2018, 02:02 PM
rapaport says jeremy maclin is going to be released. Interest?

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 02:04 PM

No, but they should go after Mathieu who was also released.

1965southpaw
03-14-2018, 03:25 PM
JMV is reporting that Broncos are interested in dealing CJ Anderson. He's not a free agent so it would have to be a trade unless they release him. JMV has heard that 4 teams are in conversation with Broncos, including Colts and Miami. Doesn't know who the other 2 teams are. Any interest?

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 03:28 PM
JMV is reporting that Broncos are interested in dealing CJ Anderson. He's not a free agent so it would have to be a trade unless they release him. JMV has heard that 4 teams are in conversation with Broncos, including Colts and Miami. Doesn't know who the other 2 teams are. Any interest?

Conditional 7th?

Chromeburn
03-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Most fans are pretty stupid though. I've seen what people say on the Colts facebook posts.

I think the problem is a lot of people were building up expectations for months that we would go after Norwell and maybe another big name free agent. I don't think people expected a huge spending spree but maybe a top FA or two. For months everyone has been preaching protect Luck and thought we would take some steps in FA to do that. So naturally, when nothing happens some people freak out and then of course the internet makes it worse. So some idiot tweets something and it gets shared on media sites, 1000's of people read it, get angry, go to social media, it snowballs, rinse repeat.

Chromeburn
03-14-2018, 03:47 PM

yes possibly, would work him out. I feel he never reached his potential.

indycolts2
03-14-2018, 04:21 PM
https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/974017500043272192?s=20

Just saw this, wasn't sure if mentioned already Denico Autry is a Colt

Chromeburn
03-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Honey Badger just got released. 25 years old. I like his play a lot. Might be good opportunity to beef up our secondary.

rcubed
03-14-2018, 04:27 PM
https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/974017500043272192?s=20

Just saw this, wasn't sure if mentioned already Denico Autry is a Colt
Who?

FatDT
03-14-2018, 04:28 PM
Here's some Raider fan discussion on him: https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/9/28/16374638/the-resurgence-of-raiders-denico-autry

Probably a rotational guy.

njcoltfan
03-14-2018, 05:04 PM
Here's some Raider fan discussion on him: https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/9/28/16374638/the-resurgence-of-raiders-denico-autry

Not exactly the next coming of Freeny or Mathis. I guess this his an Eberflus signing.

rcubed
03-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Not exactly the next coming of Freeny or Mathis. I guess this his an Eberflus signing.
Why an eberflus signing?

Racehorse
03-14-2018, 06:05 PM

Sounds like the fans respect the guy, but if he isn't up to par, we can always wish Autry "Happy Trails".

njcoltfan
03-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Why an eberflus signing?

Because he was a Cowboy. Sorry got my teams mixed up, he was a Raider!!

Coltsalr
03-14-2018, 06:42 PM
#Colts Lurking suitor for Ndamukong Suh if he's truly planning on taking his services to highest bidder. #Raiders #Cowboys #Seahawks make sense too. Idea that nobody wants to pay for his services ludicrous. Delay on his release stalled D-Tackle market. Represented by Jay-Z.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status/974036347848658947?s=21

falloutboy14
03-14-2018, 07:19 PM
He sounds like a DE that moves inside on 3rd down. Similar to Chubb.

Crush22
03-14-2018, 07:28 PM
#Colts Lurking suitor for Ndamukong Suh if he's truly planning on taking his services to highest bidder. #Raiders #Cowboys #Seahawks make sense too. Idea that nobody wants to pay for his services ludicrous. Delay on his release stalled D-Tackle market. Represented by Jay-Z.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status/974036347848658947?s=21

"Jay-Z" is a turd.

YDFL Commish
03-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Colts supposedly pursuing Falcons DE Adrian Clayborn. A guy that has considered retirement because of all his injuries. His wife talked him out of it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/257689/off-six-sack-outing-falcons-adrian-clayborn-reveals-he-pondered-retirement

Money hungry bitch!

YDFL Commish
03-14-2018, 07:43 PM
So the Seahags are paying Mingo $5 million per year for 2 yrs? WTF, you gotta be kidding me!

He's a career backup!

Dam8610
03-14-2018, 07:44 PM
So the Seahags are paying Mingo $5 million per year for 2 yrs? WTF, you gotta be kidding me!

He's a career backup!

The cap is almost $180 million. Backups can get that.

Butter
03-14-2018, 07:47 PM
I think the problem is a lot of people were building up expectations for months that we would go after Norwell and maybe another big name free agent. I don't think people expected a huge spending spree but maybe a top FA or two. For months everyone has been preaching protect Luck and thought we would take some steps in FA to do that. So naturally, when nothing happens some people freak out and then of course the internet makes it worse. So some idiot tweets something and it gets shared on media sites, 1000's of people read it, get angry, go to social media, it snowballs, rinse repeat.

That is because they did not fucking listen when Ballard said we were not going to do that. I have a pinch of salt in my pocket for not pursuing Norwell a bit harder, but who knows what interest he had in the Colts. Jax has no income tax, better weather and a team that is better ready to compete with Lucks status up in the air.

Butter
03-14-2018, 07:48 PM
The cap is almost $180 million. Backups can get that.

It is hard to wrap our heads around how fast the cap has risen.

YDFL Commish
03-14-2018, 08:46 PM
I don't know how many people remember the uproar when Harbaugh got $4 million per year after the '95 season?

Racehorse
03-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Patriots looking at McCArron. Brady to retire if they get a QB not named Hoyer on the roster.

Bills signed him, so the Patriots lost another in free agency, lol.

Dewey 5
03-14-2018, 10:43 PM
Any news on Rashaan Melvin? Sure would like to hang on to him.