PDA

View Full Version : Melvin

VeveJones007
02-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Quote below is from Melvin on SiriusXM. He and the Colts seem like they are both very interested in working out a deal.

#Colts Free Agent CB @Rmelvin30 on his future: I'm waiting to see exactly where we (him & the Colts) stand. I know it's all positive. They told me they want me to be back. That's where my career blossomed so I wouldn't mind going back there.. there's a lot of potential there.

smitty46953
02-23-2018, 12:11 AM
Like to see him back ... :cool:

FatDT
02-23-2018, 06:18 AM
No real reason not to. I hope he wasn't just a contract year performer.

YDFL Commish
02-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Anyone kind of have a bead on how our CB's will perform as predominantly zone corners?

I know he's gone, but I remember VD would look absolutely lost the few times he was asked to play zone.

VeveJones007
02-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Anyone kind of have a bead on how our CB's will perform as predominantly zone corners?

I know he's gone, but I remember VD would look absolutely lost the few times he was asked to play zone.

Wilson has a great build for it. It will be a matter of coaches teaching good technique.

FatDT
02-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Chicago played more man coverage under Lovie Smith than the Colts ever did under Dungy. I don't think we are going back to the days of 15 yard cushions. I expect there will still be tight one-on-one coverage.

sherck
02-23-2018, 10:19 AM
2 thoughts:

1. I don't think we will end up playing nearly as much zone under Flus as we did under Dungy. I think we will see a TON of man and mixed coverage rather than almost all pure zone like in the old days.

2. I don't mind Melvin coming back but I have other free agent CBs that I would rather sign if it is an either/or thing:

Tier A: Malcolm Butler, Prince Amukamara
Tier B: Aaron Colvin, Ross Cockrell, Trumaine Johnson, Kyle Fuller

All 6 of those guys have longer sustained superior performance and experiece over Melvin, IMO.

We need to sign an experienced veteran to be the CB1 while Wilson, Moore, Hairston and White (plus a rookie?) develop and I think Melvin can be that guy.

But I like the other guys better.

But, as long as we don't overpay him, I would be fine with Melvin as long as it then allows us to add another veteran LB, O-Lineman, DE or WR/RB in the first phase of free agency.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007
02-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Chicago played more man coverage under Lovie Smith than the Colts ever did under Dungy. I don't think we are going back to the days of 15 yard cushions. I expect there will still be tight one-on-one coverage.

Yep. I think our defense will look a lot more like Carolina/Seattle than what we saw under Dungy.

VeveJones007
02-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Definitely agree with not overpaying Melvin, Sherck. There's too much risk in paying him the going rate for good free agent CBs. Hopefully they can agree to a reasonable deal.

Dam8610
02-23-2018, 02:08 PM
Melvin was a good starter, I wouldn't mind playing him starter money. But there are more attractive options on the open market. That said, a good pass rush makes all CBs look better.

FatDT
02-23-2018, 02:12 PM
Yep. I think our defense will look a lot more like Carolina/Seattle than what we saw under Dungy.

There is a reason no one actually plays the Tampa 2 anymore. The Colts were the last ones and they mostly looked bad doing it.

Racehorse
02-23-2018, 07:21 PM
There is a reason no one actually plays the Tampa 2 anymore. The Colts were the last ones and they mostly looked bad doing it.
Teams learned how to beat it by moving the chains with the Brady dink and dunk. Unless you have a potent offense, you will give up points every drive and struggle to keep up with teams that are successful in the short game and have a stout defense.