PDA

View Full Version : Edgerrin James

smitty46953
02-03-2018, 05:48 PM
Hoping the "Edge" gets the knock on his hotel door this evening ... :cool:

YDFL Commish
02-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Hoping the "Edge" gets the knock on his hotel door this evening ... :cool:

He won't, and that's a shame. When you are top 5 RB of your era and rushing champ your first 2 years in the league, surpassing 1500 yds 4 times and 2000 yds from scrimmage twice over a 10+ yr. career, you should be an absolute lock!

Spike
02-03-2018, 08:23 PM
He won't, and that's a shame. When you are top 5 RB of your era and rushing champ your first 2 years in the league, surpassing 1500 yds 4 times and 2000 yds from scrimmage twice over a 10+ yr. career, you should be an absolute lock!

Yep, he didn't make it this year and that is a shame. But predictable.

"(He) was just tough, was durable, unselfish, (could) block, catch, pick up the blitz, (was) one of the best teammates I ever had,” Peyton Manning said on WFNI-1070 AM in August 2016. “I certainly hope he is the next (Hall of Famer) because he's due, and he deserves it."

Here's who did make it.

Randy Moss, Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Brian Dawkins, Terrell Owens, Jerry Kramer, Robert Brazile and Bobby Beathard, per media reports.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/02/03/edgerrin-james-misses-out-2018-hall-fame-class/304241002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=indystar%2Fcolts

DrSpaceman
02-04-2018, 12:20 AM
He will get in in the next few years.

Every other RB that has reached 12000 yards is in or will be in the HOF

sherck
02-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Here's who did make it.

Randy Moss, Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Brian Dawkins, Terrell Owens...
It's hard to argue with that list of modern candidates. That is a pretty strong list.

He will get in sometime in the next couple of years.

Walk Worthy,

Puck
02-04-2018, 10:00 AM
It's hard to argue with that list of modern candidates. That is a pretty strong list.

He will get in sometime in the next couple of years.

Walk Worthy,

I'll argue with TO. He's a puss!

omahacolt
02-04-2018, 10:46 AM
edge deserves to get in and i am looking forward to it

he was such an underrated running back.

DrSpaceman
02-04-2018, 11:49 PM
There is no way he is left out of the HOF much longer.

He was 1st team NFL all decade for the 2000s at RB. He and LT. Basically the second best RB of his generation.

Not sure what more you need as proof he belongs in than that.

Butter
02-04-2018, 11:53 PM
edge deserves to get in and i am looking forward to it

he was such an underrated running back.

He really is, always got the tough yards.

kitekrazy
02-05-2018, 07:01 PM

He was like the last RB teams were willing to take in the top 2 and live up and exceed expectations. The guy was a complete RB we don't see anymore.

Imagine of the Colts took Ricky Williams?

I so miss the Edge. That year he was injured sucked the life out of that team.

testcase448
02-06-2018, 08:38 AM
We could use an Edge today.

VeveJones007
02-06-2018, 08:59 AM
He was like the last RB teams were willing to take in the top 2 and live up and exceed expectations. The guy was a complete RB we don't see anymore.

But it put them in position to draft Dwight Freeney, so at least there was an upside to that dismal 2000 season. I hoping for a similar type of outcome after this terrible 2017 season.

apballin
02-06-2018, 09:04 PM
http://fox59.com/2018/02/02/edgerrin-james-from-hall-of-fame-worthy-career-to-sugar-dad/

Edge is the fuckin man

kitekrazy
02-11-2018, 03:56 PM
But it put them in position to draft Dwight Freeney, so at least there was an upside to that dismal 2000 season. I hoping for a similar type of outcome after this terrible 2017 season.

Some thought Freeney was a ? pick. I still miss Polian.

Rhodes ran for 1000 yds in Jame's place. That was when the Colts had an offensive line. Today's line couldn't make that team.

James was such a stud. He could block and catch.

YDFL Commish
02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Some thought Freeney was a ? pick. I still miss Polian.

Rhodes ran for 1000 yds in Jame's place. That was when the Colts had an offensive line. Today's line couldn't make that team.

James was such a stud. He could block and catch.

I think that Stonz could have been the RT and Kelly could probably be the RG.

Remember this is the 2001 Colts you're talking about.

RG was Larry Moore, who we had a lot of debate about in the RATS days. His backup was Rick DeMulling.

RT was Adam Meadows, debatable whether Stonzo beats him out, but my guess is he does.

Dam8610
02-11-2018, 06:54 PM
There is no way he is left out of the HOF much longer.

He was 1st team NFL all decade for the 2000s at RB. He and LT. Basically the second best RB of his generation.

Not sure what more you need as proof he belongs in than that.

He'd have been the best if not for the ACL injury. He was better than LT in 1999 and 2000.

YDFL Commish
02-11-2018, 08:12 PM
He'd have been the best if not for the ACL injury. He was better than LT in 1999 and 2000.

Of course he was, LT wasn't even in the league in 1999 and 2000.

Dam8610
02-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Of course he was, LT wasn't even in the league in 1999 and 2000.

I meant that the Edge of 1999 and 2000 was better than prime LT.

YDFL Commish
02-11-2018, 08:24 PM
I meant that the Edge of 1999 and 2000 was better than prime LT.

No he wasn't.

Dam8610
02-11-2018, 08:55 PM
No he wasn't.

Compelling argument, but I disagree. Edge had another gear in those first two years that made him elite. The ACL tear robbed him of that, but his all around skillset was so good that he was still a highly productive RB even without it. He produced at a level comparable to Marshall Faulk in those first two seasons. The explosive pre-ACL tear Edge who averaged 125+ all purpose yards per game would've had a better career than LT. That he was able to turn himself into a consistent Top 5 RB without that explosion speaks to his immense talent level and is the reason he belongs in Canton.

DrSpaceman
02-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Well I don't know if he was better than LT, but yes, if he had not been injured, he would have been not just HOF level but top 5 RB all time level.

Butter
02-11-2018, 10:57 PM
Well I don't know if he was better than LT, but yes, if he had not been injured, he would have been not just HOF level but top 5 RB all time level.

So you think LT is in the top 5 all-time?

FatDT
02-12-2018, 12:35 AM
Can you name 5 RBs that were indisputably better than LT?

Also I think he meant post-injury Edge might not have been better than LT. Pre-injury Edge was the complete package. He was Marshall Faulk, Walter Payton, and Adrian Peterson in one body.

omahacolt
02-12-2018, 09:05 AM
https://youtu.be/6DW1Ku6rhQY

Pre injury edge. If this doesn’t give you a half boner then something is wrong with you

You weren’t arm tackling this dude

DrSpaceman
02-12-2018, 09:40 AM
So you think LT is in the top 5 all-time?

As an all around back of the SB era, yes

There are two pure runners, one pre-SB area and one in the SB era, that stand out just as pure running backs. Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. I never watched Jim Brown, plus it was a whole different era with less passing and pass blocking for RBs, so I don't know how good he was outside of running, or in other words catching and pass blocking. ANd Sanders was a great runner, but there were better all around back as well

IN terms of all around RBs in the SB era, you have LT, Emmitt Smith (he benefitted from a great line and great team more than the others), Marshall Faulk, Walter Payton. You can argue what order they go in, but that group stands out I think from the others.

ANd if Edge had not been injured, he would have been added to that group as well. With his injury and considering his whole career, not quite up to that level. I guess that is only 4 in that group, but then after those 4 you can go to guys like Adrian Peterson, Marcus Allen, Tony Dorsett, I suppose you could add Gore and Curtis Martin in there though I think Edge was better than those two

The real key with RB ratings is always going to be
1. Are you looking at all around back or just as a runner AND
2. Are you considering their peak career or overall career, those things often vary quite a bit

As an all around back at the peak of his career, pre-injury, I would agree Edge was as good as any of them.

HoosierinFL
02-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Pre injury edge. If this doesn’t give you a half boner then something is wrong with you

seriously half chub.
The quick burst running inside the tackles.
north-south running one cut and he's gone.
the breakaway speed when getting to the 2nd level.
the vision.
the little stutter step to make guys miss.
the power to just bounce of tacklers and keep going.
the balance to stay up, even when it looks like he's stumbling forward, just keeps the legs churning and falls forward for an extra 10 yards.
the receiving ability.
and they don't put pass blocking into RB highlight reels, but he could surely fill up a tape with that.

DrSpaceman
02-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Edge's real skill was his patience in letting the OL set up the blocks and his ability to pick his way this way and that through holes with ease.

Bell in pitt is the only one like him in that regard.

omahacolt
02-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Edge's real skill was his patience in letting the OL set up the blocks and his ability to pick his way this way and that through holes with ease.

Bell in pitt is the only one like him in that regard.

especially later in his career

but you look at those early years and damn that dude had some quickness.

YDFL Commish
02-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Yep, I was watching that vid a few weeks ago.

Everything that has been said in this thread, is spot on with what great all around RB that Edge was.

I just have a hard time saying that Edge was better in his prime than LT was in his. For two reasons: TD's and YC. The TD's I guess could be a product of conservative Marty ball when near the end zone, while the Colts were more prone to pass the ball. I just give LT the slight nod.

The best RB's of Edge's era were LT, Martin, Faulk and Edge. I believe the other 3 were all 1st ballot HOF. It is a great injustice that that Edge has been nominated 3 times and still not made it.

I don't even think the voters watch video of the players, and basically go on memory and the common misconception that the Colts passing offense opened up the running game. I believe, that in Edge's 1st two season the opposite was true. The Colts didn't even have an established passing game in '99, and Edge led the league in rushing attempts that season. Sure sounds like the running game was opening up the passing game to me.

DrSpaceman
02-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Yep, I was watching that vid a few weeks ago.

Everything that has been said in this thread, is spot on with what great all around RB that Edge was.

I just have a hard time saying that Edge was better in his prime than LT was in his. For two reasons: TD's and YC. The TD's I guess could be a product of conservative Marty ball when near the end zone, while the Colts were more prone to pass the ball. I just give LT the slight nod.

The best RB's of Edge's era were LT, Martin, Faulk and Edge. I believe the other 3 were all 1st ballot HOF. It is a great injustice that that Edge has been nominated 3 times and still not made it.

I don't even think the voters watch video of the players, and basically go on memory and the common misconception that the Colts passing offense opened up the running game. I believe, that in Edge's 1st two season the opposite was true. The Colts didn't even have an established passing game in '99, and Edge led the league in rushing attempts that season. Sure sounds like the running game was opening up the passing game to me.

Edge was better than Curtis martin, both in pre-injury and for his career.

I don't consider Faulk of exactly the same era. Faulk's end of career overlapped with Edge's beginning, just overlapping a bit

DrSpaceman
02-12-2018, 05:57 PM
I don't think Curtis Martin was first ballot HOF either. He retired after 2005 and was inducted in 2012

Hoopsdoc
02-12-2018, 07:22 PM

As good as he was after the knee injury, he still was never the same. He was one of the best I’ve ever seen before that.