PDA

View Full Version : Colts sign Sheard

edgeman
03-10-2017, 05:59 PM
No details yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colt Classic
03-10-2017, 06:08 PM
3 years, 25.5 mil with 12.75 mil guaranteed, per Adarn Schefter, who cites an anonymous source for his information.

Dam8610
03-10-2017, 06:11 PM
That's a lot of money for him. Hope he doesn't disappoint.

Colt Classic
03-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Under Grigson, the Colts were Eagles/Ravens/Browns West. Quite an upgrade to being Patriots West.

OneVoice
03-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Well, we gotta sign some freakingbody.

He's a flex DE/OLB, I like it.

Big Smooth
03-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Well, we gotta sign some freakingbody.

He's a flex DE/OLB, I like it.

Definitely

Let's hope he pans out

VeveJones007
03-10-2017, 06:37 PM
I like the path so far.

OLB:
+Sheard
+1st (Barnett/Harris/Riddick)
+Simon

MLB:
+UFA (Brown?)
+2.15 (McMillan?)

That would warrant the "Manhattan Project" label that Sherck has been wanting from LB upgrades this offseason. That would still leave five picks in rounds 3-5 to upgrade CB, DL, OL, and RB depending on BPA.

ukcolt
03-11-2017, 07:26 AM
I think you would need to use an earlier pick on a CB and then use one of the mid rounders on another linebacker

sherck
03-11-2017, 08:20 AM
I think you would need to use an earlier pick on a CB and then use one of the mid rounders on another linebacker
I agree.

Even if we sign a veteran at CB which I think we will with Robinson being cut, CB is screaming for a young stud which we have not had in forever.

While BPA will be the way to go, I hope BPA would bring us a CB in rounds 1 or 2.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

YDFL Commish
03-11-2017, 12:42 PM
I agree.

Even if we sign a veteran at CB which I think we will with Robinson being cut, CB is screaming for a young stud which we have not had in forever.

While BPA will be the way to go, I hope BPA would bring us a CB in rounds 1 or 2.

Cheers,

Jerraud Powers, Jacob Lacey, Tim Jennings, Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden. Not studs, but yeah it's been a hell of a long time.

VeveJones007
03-11-2017, 05:07 PM

Sure, but hard to imagine a CB being BPA with those pass rushers on the board in round one. Maybe round 2, but would be hard to pass on McMillan if he's still there.

Either way, there's a ton of defensive talent in this draft. Hit on a few and the defensive turnaround will be significant.

bertjones
03-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Jerraud Powers, Jacob Lacey, Tim Jennings, Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden. Not studs, but yeah it's been a hell of a long time.

Probably have to go back to Ray Buchanon.

sherck
03-13-2017, 12:38 PM
From an ESPN.com article:
On 636 pass rushes over the past two seasons, Sheard generated 13 sacks and 22 quarterback knockdowns.

Over that same time frame, Packers LB Nick Perry had 14.5 sacks and 20 knockdowns on 543 pass rushes for the Packers.

Perry has been more productive, but he is earning $60 million over five years. Sheard is getting less than half that -- $25.5 million and $12.8 million in guarantees -- on his new three-year deal with the Colts.

I'd prefer to take a shot on Sheard breaking out given more playing time than to pay the full-time Perry as a premium pass-rusher.
So, Sheard got a sack or hit on 3.93% of his pass rush attempts.

Perry got a sack or a hit on 6.44% of his pass rush attempts.

No info on how many "hurries" either guy got. Just when they hit the opposing QB.

If we average their pass rushes per season to 295 rushes, that percentage different results in 7.5 more knockdowns per season or just under 0.5 per game for about 150% the price ($12m per season instead of $8.5m).

Ballard did well on this one, I think.

Cheers,

omahacolt
03-13-2017, 05:30 PM
From an ESPN.com article:

So, Sheard got a sack or hit on 3.93% of his pass rush attempts.

Perry got a sack or a hit on 6.44% of his pass rush attempts.

No info on how many "hurries" either guy got. Just when they hit the opposing QB.

If we average their pass rushes per season to 295 rushes, that percentage different results in 7.5 more knockdowns per season or just under 0.5 per game for about 150% the price ($12m per season instead of $8.5m).

Ballard did well on this one, I think.

Cheers,
nice info

but this is where i remind everyone that not every snap is the same. judging players by this criteria is fun to look at and nice but football is way too situational to really get too much from this.

interesting stuff though. i hope it works out that he is a bargain

Thorgrim
03-13-2017, 06:58 PM
nice info

but this is where i remind everyone that not every snap is the same. judging players by this criteria is fun to look at and nice but football is way too situational to really get too much from this.

interesting stuff though. i hope it works out that he is a bargain

Erik Walden case in point.

YDFL Commish
03-13-2017, 07:33 PM
I don't wanna dump on the Sheard and Simon signings or the job Ballard has done so far.

But aren't the signings somewhat redundant? Aren't they both competing for the same position, SAM OLB?

I know Ballard is trying to create competition, and I'm all for that, it's very similar to the way BB attacks problem positions...acquire a bunch of players and let them compete.

But, my question is, how do you envision this working out? Simon playing most of the run downs and Sheard in on pass downs, and maybe occasionally at the Rush LB spot?

sherck
03-13-2017, 07:37 PM
We draft a stud pass rusher (hopefully) with 1/15 and have a 3 man rotation to ease the rookie's transition. Simon and Sheard on run downs, rookie and rotate on pass downs.

Hopefully, others grow into speciality roles for relief.

Cheers,

smitty46953
03-14-2017, 07:32 AM
Colts OLB Jabaal Sheard's contract. Cap numbers: 2017: $9.968M; 2018: $7.5M; 2019: $8M. No singing bonus

:cool:

Puck
03-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Colts OLB Jabaal Sheard's contract. Cap numbers: 2017: $9.968M; 2018: $7.5M; 2019: $8M. No singing bonus

:cool:

Well. He probably needs to learn to sing before we give him a bonus

Wyatt
03-22-2017, 06:23 AM
https://youtu.be/CWX5RjpHfQk

Reminds me a little of the Mathis strip sack machine.

Puck
03-22-2017, 07:54 AM
I don't wanna dump on the Sheard and Simon signings or the job Ballard has done so far.

But aren't the signings somewhat redundant? Aren't they both competing for the same position, SAM OLB?

I know Ballard is trying to create competition, and I'm all for that, it's very similar to the way BB attacks problem positions...acquire a bunch of players and let them compete.

But, my question is, how do you envision this working out? Simon playing most of the run downs and Sheard in on pass downs, and maybe occasionally at the Rush LB spot?

I believe that Sheard and Mingo will be the rush OLB's. I also think Mingo may get a shot inside in certain situations

FatDT
03-22-2017, 08:31 AM
I believe that Sheard and Mingo will be the rush OLB's. I also think Mingo may get a shot inside in certain situations

I've read that Mingo has improved in coverage and overall playing in space. Not enough, clearly, but that if he has any value it is probably away from the line of scrimmage more than as a pass rusher.

omahacolt
03-22-2017, 06:21 PM
I've read that Mingo has improved in coverage and overall playing in space. Not enough, clearly, but that if he has any value it is probably away from the line of scrimmage more than as a pass rusher.

well he can't rush the passer so that is something i guess