PDA

View Full Version : Free agent WRs

testcase448
01-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Maybe worth a look?

2018 Colts Possible Free Agent Targets: Wide Receiver Allen Robinson (https://horseshoeheroes.com/2018/01/27/2018-colts-possible-free-agent-targets-wide-receiver-allen-robinson/)
Like his size but really an upgrade from what we have? AND an ex-faguar :rolleyes:

2018 Colts Possible Free Agent Targets: Wide Receiver Sammy Watkins (https://horseshoeheroes.com/2018/01/27/2018-colts-possible-free-agent-targets-wide-receiver-sammy-watkins/)
This one would need to be cheap...

FatDT
01-29-2018, 11:10 AM
Both players have physical skills but their production hasn't been consistent. I wouldn't want to pay either at TY's level. If Ballard and McD decide to bring Moncrief back I'm happy with that, I think he has the same approximate potential and skillset. Obviously Robinson had a better year in 2015 than Moncrief has ever come close to having but it's just one year.

I also saw this, both are expected to be tagged: https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/26/16935310/sammy-watkins-allen-robinson-franchise-tag-wide-receivers-49ers

Oldcolt
01-29-2018, 11:58 AM
While I would love to have one of those top wr's on our team, I don't think spending big bucks on a wr is wise. McDaniels has proven in New England that he can run an efficient offense without all-pro talent at wr. Spend big money on offensive line and(if available) a pass rusher in free agency. I gotta say though, I have faith in Ballard to do the correct thing most of the time. AND I think Irsay is a great owner if he has competent staff. He lets his staff run things, if they stink, we stink; if they know what they are doing we soar (see Polian/Grigson). I'm enjoying watching this unfold. It's fun again.

HoosierinFL
01-29-2018, 03:20 PM
no more free agent WRs. none, zip zero zilch

DrSpaceman
01-29-2018, 03:42 PM
WR would not be at the top of my list for FAs.

Would rather spend on the money on D and OL.

If the NE offense is the standard we are to see here, I would not expect big money on a FA WR.

Colt Classic
01-29-2018, 08:39 PM
no more free agent WRs. none, zip zero zilch

Because what is currently on the roster is so great. :cool:

Coltsalr
01-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Still thinking it’s a great possibility we get Amendola this offseason.

“Yes of course you do Pats fan!” jokes in 3, 2, 1...

Butter
01-29-2018, 09:36 PM

Bringing in a vet WR that should have an affordable contract and experience in his system does not seem like the worst idea.

Brylok
01-29-2018, 11:33 PM
Both players have physical skills but their production hasn't been consistent. I wouldn't want to pay either at TY's level. If Ballard and McD decide to bring Moncrief back I'm happy with that, I think he has the same approximate potential and skillset. Obviously Robinson had a better year in 2015 than Moncrief has ever come close to having but it's just one year.

I also saw this, both are expected to be tagged: https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/26/16935310/sammy-watkins-allen-robinson-franchise-tag-wide-receivers-49ers

I'm higher on Moncrief than most people here, but it's not up to me. I've got to trust Ballard and McDaniels. But again, what were Moncrief and TY expected to do in that offense?

Racehorse
01-30-2018, 08:02 AM
I'm higher on Moncrief than most people here, but it's not up to me. I've got to trust Ballard and McDaniels. But again, what were Moncrief and TY expected to do in that offense?

i'm with you on him. I think he was as frustrated as TY was because of the offense. I would suspect he is thrilled to see Pags gone.

FatDT
01-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Moncrief rubbed some people the wrong way but I think people don't understand what an actual "diva" WR is like. TY, Moncrief, and Rogers are all talented players with some level of familiarity with Luck. I think a healthy Luck and a better offense will be all they need to perform at a high level.

VeveJones007
01-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Moncrief rubbed some people the wrong way but I think people don't understand what an actual "diva" WR is like. TY, Moncrief, and Rogers are all talented players with some level of familiarity with Luck. I think a healthy Luck and a better offense will be all they need to perform at a high level.

It's not that Moncrief is a "diva." The problem is that he's soft.

Brylok
01-30-2018, 12:29 PM

That offense was garbage. Jerry Rice wouldn't have done anything in that offense.

HoosierinFL
01-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Yep, I think the offense as a whole, even the line, is better than it appears, because the coaching and scheme have just been that ridiculously bad.

I think Hilton, Moncrief and Rogers make an interesting trio. It's no Harrison/Wayne/Stokeley but that was a once in a lifetime combo.

I'd have to go back and look but memory tells me they lined Moncrief up in the slot quite a bit. I think that was one of the problems with the offense.
I always thought Hilton was better in the slot than outside.

FatDT
01-30-2018, 12:53 PM

I think he was softer in his first season but that his ability to grab contested catches has grown a lot. He's still young and developing and I expect the mental toughness aspect to be part of his continued development.

njcoltfan
01-30-2018, 03:26 PM
I think he was softer in his first season but that his ability to grab contested catches has grown a lot. He's still young and developing and I expect the mental toughness aspect to be part of his continued development.

I for one would not be upset if they resigned Montcrief, and then drafted a WR in the fourth or lower rounds.

Hoopsdoc
01-30-2018, 10:08 PM

Ha ha.

You are joking, right? Amendola gargles cow semen and he’s always hurt.

Plus, he’s white. *shudder*

omahacolt
01-30-2018, 10:19 PM

It is always true

You always want pats players.

1965southpaw
02-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Wells point of view is consistent with many on this board. Though Moncrief didn't really earn a new contract he may be the tallest midget especially if he's willing to accept a short term show me contract. I'm willing to give him a second chance.

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22704/limited-wide-receiver-free-agency-crop-could-keep-donte-moncrief-with-colts

VeveJones007
02-03-2018, 02:50 PM
If Moncrief weren’t a Colt last year, would he even be on your radar?

Racehorse
02-03-2018, 04:27 PM

No, because if he played like that for any coach but Pagano, we would assume the problem was him. Because we know Pagano cannot coach up anyone, we have to assume DM was held back by inept coaching.

YDFL Commish
02-03-2018, 06:33 PM

I think Donte is soft, and when (I believe Zac Keefer called him out on that) he acted like a teenager asking for big brother TY's help.

No thanks. Got no time to wait for them to grow up.

VeveJones007
02-03-2018, 07:24 PM
I think Donte is soft, and when (I believe Zac Keefer called him out on that) he acted like a teenager asking for big brother TY's help.

Agree. Does anyone here actually think Ballard would have a favorable opinion of Moncrief after last year?

1965southpaw
02-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Agree. Does anyone here actually think Ballard would have a favorable opinion of Moncrief after last year?

No, I don't think Ballard thinks very highly of him but I also think there is no market for Donte outside the colts and Ballard has many other priorities. I'm just really on the fence on this one. I just think we don't have a really clear picture of his skills based on injury and crappy scheme. It's really hard to know what part of his crappy performance to hang on him and what part to hang on Pags/Chud. i guess I will be on board with whatever decision Ballard makes since getting a read on his personality (diva, soft, whatever) is best assessed by those who see him day in and day out.

YDFL Commish
02-03-2018, 08:37 PM
My take is that Ballard told McDaniel's, that he will not be prioritizing WR this season, and that he wants the coach to have a productive offense with what he's given.

McDaniel's agreed to this, knowing that he didn't need more at WR right now.

As long as he doesn't have to coach Aiken, I don't give a fuck.

FatDT
02-03-2018, 09:43 PM
I think the arm chair psychoanalysis of Moncrief is stupid. Let Ballard and McD decide. It's not like he flat out sucks. He's played well, especially with Luck healthy. In a real offense with Luck back he could be a high quality#2 WR for a low price.

Puck
02-03-2018, 09:51 PM
My take is that Ballard told McDaniel's, that he will not be prioritizing WR this season, and that he wants the coach to have a productive offense with what he's given.

McDaniel's agreed to this, knowing that he didn't need more at WR right now.

As long as he doesn't have to coach Aiken, I don't give a fuck.

Where did you come up with this?

Butter
02-03-2018, 09:54 PM

Probably not, but he was on the team and a known entity. He will be a cheap depth sign and he has potential. I get why people are down on him, but to entirely write the kid off seems short sighted.

Brylok
02-03-2018, 10:28 PM

Isn't that what players are supposed to do? TY is older than Donte, and better. Marvin was older than Reggie, and better. Don't we want the younger guy leaning on the older, better guy when he needs to?

VeveJones007
02-04-2018, 12:14 AM
Probably not, but he was on the team and a known entity. He will be a cheap depth sign and he has potential. I get why people are down on him, but to entirely right the kid off seems short sighted.

The team needs a culture change. A big part of that was the coaching staff, but another part was some players checking out at times. Moncrief was a culprit who can be easily replaced with another player. I might stomach it for a guy with high-end upside, but Moncrief is a 2 at best. Fixing the culture is more important than whatever limited upside potential he offers.

YDFL Commish
02-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Where did you come up with this?

Out my ass!

omahacolt
02-04-2018, 11:03 AM
People don't know moncrief. the piece doyel did on him was just an opinion piece that was probably highly exaggerated.

most young wr's celebrate every time they make a catch. sure it is stupid but it doesn't make him a piece of shit.