PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels / Luck partnership

1965southpaw
01-19-2018, 12:38 PM
In a season devoid of anything positive, it's nice to have something to look forward to. I hope this author's predictions come true and I hope this is just the first of many articles celebrating the accomplishment that may ome from a mcdaniels / Luck combo. If it doesn't, well I guess we know how to handle disappointment.

http://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/18/josh-mcdaniels-will-take-andrew-luck-to-the-next-level/

Much like a tailoring a suit, McDaniels will devise a system fitted just for Luck, who will look awfully comfortable — and awfully good on Sundays.

rcubed
01-19-2018, 01:21 PM
I am excited to see what McD will do with our offense.

Brylok
01-19-2018, 04:56 PM
I am excited to see what McD will do with our offense.

Using players' strengths alone would be better than anything Chud did. I still don't know what the overall scheme was supposed to be or accomplish. They just had no identity at all.

YDFL Commish
01-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Using players' strengths alone would be better than anything Chud did. I still don't know what the overall scheme was supposed to be or accomplish. They just had no identity at all.

Run for 3 yds on 1st down, run for 1 yd on 2nd down, on 3rd down, run 3 receivers, 25 yds straight down the field, ignore the RB out of the backfield, O-Line gets rag dolled back into QB's face, QB waits 5 + sec. for somebody to get open, QB scrapes himself off the turf, Pag's pats QB on the ass, and says good job.

Have I summed up the scheme accurately?

Brylok
01-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Run for 3 yds on 1st down, run for 1 yd on 2nd down, on 3rd down, run 3 receivers, 25 yds straight down the field straight down the field, ignore the RB out of the backfield, O-Line gets rag dolled back into QB's face, QB waits 5 + sec. for somebody to get open, QB scrapes himself off the turf, Pag's pats QB on the ass, and says good job.

Exactly. We've seen more than enough of that shit.

rcubed
01-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Courtesy of dan orlovsky

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/953590099308097536

YDFL Commish
01-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Courtesy of dan orlovsky

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/953590099308097536

This is what will win for us...scheming players open. How often did you hear Pags, Chud or TY say "we gotta win our matchups"? That's hard to do in the 2.5 sec a QB should be getting rid of the ball.

DrSpaceman
01-21-2018, 12:01 AM
Run for 3 yds on 1st down, run for 1 yd on 2nd down, on 3rd down, run 3 receivers, 25 yds straight down the field, ignore the RB out of the backfield, O-Line gets rag dolled back into QB's face, QB waits 5 + sec. for somebody to get open, QB scrapes himself off the turf, Pag's pats QB on the ass, and says good job.

Or throw a screen pass to Gore instead of the younger and faster Mack.

And don't forget clapping, lots of clapping.

After the game you go chop some wood for the next week

GoBigBlue88
01-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Be curious to hear what you guys thought of McDaniels' gameplan today. VERY up and down, IMO. The ups were terrific. The lows were Chud-esque.

Indiana V2
01-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Be curious to hear what you guys thought of McDaniels' gameplan today. VERY up and down, IMO. The ups were terrific. The lows were Chud-esque.

Keep in mind the Jags defense is very good.

daedge
01-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Keep in mind the Jags defense is very good.

Meh.

They got owned by Brady and Amendola after Gronk was gone.

The Jags' D can STFU.

Colt Classic
01-21-2018, 07:42 PM

They can keep McDaniels. Send back Brad Stevens instead. The Colts can find another coach elsewhere.

DrSpaceman
01-21-2018, 07:42 PM
Guess we will have to wait a few more weeks.

Fuckin' pats and fuckin' Jagoffs. Finish the job

Puck
01-21-2018, 09:11 PM

Lost Gronk and Edelman isn't there this season and they really dont have any other superstars on offense and they still marched up and down the field on one of the best D's in the nfl

I will be very glad to have him here, If indeed he is the choice

Brylok
01-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Lost Gronk and Edelman isn't there this season and they really dont have any other superstars on offense and they still marched up and down the field on one of the best D's in the nfl

I will be very glad to have him here, If indeed he is the choice

McDaniels is having a better day than Shurmur currently is. It's a roll of the dice, but I'm interested in seeing what McDaniels can do.

Chromeburn
01-22-2018, 12:11 AM

That defense has superior athletes all over the field. They probably should have shut NE down. A regular offense and they do. The Steelers have an amazing offense and the best them, and shut them down in regular season. This is one of the few times I have seenwhereoffense actually trumped defense.

albany ed
01-22-2018, 08:24 AM
The Jags won TOP and the turnover battle, and for 50 minutes, they were the best team on the field. Too bad the game lasted 60 minutes. I hate the fuck, but Brady is the best ever. 11 fourth quarter comebacks in the playoffs.

dwilli57
01-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Fuck Brady and all the rest of those dicks. I'm so sick of watching them I almost don't want to watch the SB. If I could, I'd almost give up my 401(k) to watch the Iggles beat the living crap outta those cheaters.

Maniac
01-22-2018, 10:17 AM

He probably also has a lot going on right now with prepping for the various playoff games while forming a coaching staff and evaluating the Colts roster and coming up with his plan for his new team.

GoBigBlue88
01-22-2018, 10:31 AM
I loved McDaniels' patience in setting up plays he later went back to, and willingness to empty the bag. Patriots ran some ballsy plays they put a lot of work into setting up. That's a big plus for me.

But I can also see where some of that game looked Chud-esque in Patriots abandoning the run game and looking to throw 30+ yards downfield so often.

njcoltfan
01-22-2018, 11:32 AM
I loved McDaniels' patience in setting up plays he later went back to, and willingness to empty the bag. Patriots ran some ballsy plays they put a lot of work into setting up. That's a big plus for me.

But I can also see where some of that game looked Chud-esque in Patriots abandoning the run game and looking to throw 30+ yards downfield so often.

I thought the Jags looked more like a Chud offense, in the second half especially,it seemed like every first down was Fournette up the middle !

HoosierinFL
01-22-2018, 11:45 AM
I thought the Jags looked more like a Chud offense, in the second half especially,it seemed like every first down was Fournette up the middle !

Sure, but no way could they ride Bortles' arm the whole second half. Big problem was that they didn't get creative with the running game, they kept running the same plays that worked in the first half, but weren't working in the second half.

YDFL Commish
01-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Sure, but no way could they ride Bortles' arm the whole second half. Big problem was that they didn't get creative with the running game, they kept running the same plays that worked in the first half, but weren't working in the second half.

My biggest problem w/the Jags offense, is that they had no deigned runs for Bortles in the game plan.

njcoltfan
01-22-2018, 01:10 PM

That’s the definition of Chuds offensive, keep running the same thing even though it’s not working!!!

FatDT
01-22-2018, 02:15 PM
My biggest problem w/the Jags offense, is that they had no deigned runs for Bortles in the game plan.

Yeah I thought that was a mistake in the 2nd half especially. They seemed to call a scared game on offense starting with their last possession of the 2nd quarter.

rcubed
01-22-2018, 02:34 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/01/21/ref-congratulates-tom-brady-for-conspiracy-theory-gold/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_2464915

Racehorse
01-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Fuck Brady and all the rest of those dicks. I'm so sick of watching them I almost don't want to watch the SB. If I could, I'd almost give up my 401(k) to watch the Iggles beat the living crap outta those cheaters.

I would, and not almost. Of course, if it were MY 401k, I probably wouldn't. Yours, on the other hand...

GoBigBlue88
01-22-2018, 04:51 PM

Amen. I was astonished. They had so many RPO plays designed with, like, an X out, a slot/back swing or screen and a QB-keeper. So some of that may have been on Bortles, but I think you gotta call a few deliberate QB draws or read-option keeps to soften up the middle of that defense they kept driving Fournette into.

Also weird that they buried Grant in the 2nd half...

Spike
01-22-2018, 04:53 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/01/21/ref-congratulates-tom-brady-for-conspiracy-theory-gold/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_2464915

Patriots only had one damn penalty the whole game. Refs let the Pats get away with murder every damn game.

Racehorse
01-22-2018, 04:59 PM
Amen. I was astonished. They had so many RPO plays designed with, like, an X out, a slot/back swing or screen and a QB-keeper. So some of that may have been on Bortles, but I think you gotta call a few deliberate QB draws or read-option keeps to soften up the middle of that defense they kept driving Fournette into.

Also weird that they buried Grant in the 2nd half...
Teams always go into stupid mode against them. That is one reason some people are calling the NFL the new WWE.

HoosierinFL
01-22-2018, 05:11 PM

I was thinking that during the game last night. Romo kept saying they were gonna run out of play action possibilities, which meant the NE defense wasn't going to bite on the run too hard, so as soon as those LBs are ready to defend the pass, that's when you let Bortles loose on a designed run. He's decently mobile, he could have got a first down at some point. Hell, 1 first down in the 4th quarter for the Jags might have made the difference in the game.

Chromeburn
01-23-2018, 08:54 PM

Because Belicheat adjusts at the half. I wonder if some of these other coaches even do this. You almost have to have two game plans against them. One for each half. And you need to save your best stufffor the end when it is close. So man teams go up on them, then can't maintain the momentum.

Butter
01-23-2018, 11:16 PM
Because Belicheat adjusts at the half. I wonder if some of these other coaches even do this. You almost have to have two game plans against them. One for each half. And you need to save your best stufffor the end when it is close. So man teams go up on them, then can't maintain the momentum.

So much this, teams figure you out in the first half, so flip the script in the second. It takes a well-trained team and slid execution by the staff to pull it off, and I am sure the cheating helps.

Brylok
01-24-2018, 12:53 AM
So much this, teams figure you out in the first half, so flip the script in the second. It takes a well-trained team and slid execution by the staff to pull it off, and I am sure the cheating helps.
...and referees

sherck
01-24-2018, 06:30 AM
...and refereesSaw this stat but have not verified it:

In the past 16 seasons in NFL post-season play, there have been 175 games played between 350 teams. Of those 350 team efforts, only 3 times has a team only been flagged 1 or 2 times.

All three teams? The New England Cheaters.

On the sack play early on, when Tommy Cheater tried to create time by moving around in the collapsing pocket, I counted 3 separate holding penalities none of which were called. The Jags finally got the sack but I was expecting Tommy Cheater to find an open receiver and gain 20.

On Gronk's play where he was knocked out of the game, he pushed off his defender with no call. That play should have been off-setting.

This more than the social justice stuff is going to kill the sport. Fans will not come back if they think it is pre-determined WWE crud.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rcubed
02-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Quotes from McD. What is this "adapting" he is talking about? Something about scheming to players strengths or some wacky philosophy...

“The biggest thing for us is adapting to what our players do and try to put them in as many successful positions as we can during the course of a game. I think sometimes the word ‘system’ is overused. The best thing for us is our foundation is broad enough that we can accommodate most players and then fit them in and figure out what we do well as a team and do it as many times as we can.”

“No play is good without good players who execute it,” McDaniels said. “We can all sit here and draw up a bunch of pretty-looking plays. The guys who win the play are the players. So, if you’re putting together some play or plan that they can’t execute, it’s a bad play or a bad plan.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/02/01/insider-peek-inside-mind-josh-mcdaniels/1085766001/

Colt Classic
02-01-2018, 02:59 PM
He probably means that if he were here at the time Pagano first arrived, he would've made use of the best pass rushing duo this town has ever seen rather than try to turn them into coverage linebackers who occasionally blitz.

DrSpaceman
02-01-2018, 11:51 PM
First question he should be asked is how he feels about wood chopping?

Mr. Session
02-02-2018, 12:59 AM
He probably means that if he were here at the time Pagano first arrived, he would've made use of the best pass rushing duo this town has ever seen rather than try to turn them into coverage linebackers who occasionally blitz.

Watching Freeney be the sole difference in New England's win over ATL in the superbowl had to be one of the most infuriating things I have ever seen in my life.

He was in Brady's ass the entire night until the Patriots literally told their TE to just double him every play.

Spike
02-02-2018, 01:56 AM
Watching Freeney be the sole difference in New England's win over ATL in the superbowl had to be one of the most infuriating things I have ever seen in my life.

He was in Brady's ass the entire night until the Patriots literally told their TE to just double him every play.

Yep, that pissed me off too. Pagano was nothing but a fucking idiot.