PDA

View Full Version : Coach Preference

jasperhobbs
01-15-2018, 06:22 PM
I prefer Vrabel over McDaniels. Since Vrabel is a defensive coach, a strong offensive coordinator would have to be hired.

Racehorse
01-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Since Harbaugh isn't leaving UM...

Dam8610
01-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Basically just not the top two options of the poll, ideally.

Racehorse
01-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Basically just not the top two options of the poll, ideally.

So, what available coaches do you prefer?

Mr. Session
01-15-2018, 07:16 PM

This should be good.

Spike
01-15-2018, 07:28 PM
I'll take a chance on McDaniels. I think Luck will flourish with him. Plus it sounds like McDaniels and the Colts are expected to bring in former Cowboys assistant coach Matt Eberflus as their defensive coordinator.

Tom Pelissero has also reported that McDaniels and the Colts are expected to bring in former Cowboys assistant coach Matt Eberflus as their defensive coordinator. Eberflus spent 7 seasons with the Cowboys as their linebackers coach before adding on the title of passing game coordinator in 2016.

Eberflus helped develop Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens and Jaylon Smith as well as many others during his time in Dallas. Many viewed him as a very hot defensive coordinator candidate, with Blogging the Boys calling him the “most important Cowboys free agent”. Eberflus’ style of defense has yet to be truly revealed, but with his background as a 4-3 defense guy, it’s expected that he’ll implement a 4-3 defense.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/15/16893710/report-colts-expected-to-hire-mcdaniels-as-head-coach-eberflus-pegged-as-potential-dc

Coltsalr
01-15-2018, 08:29 PM

You trying to get him to confess his true love for Pagano once and for all?

Racehorse
01-15-2018, 08:38 PM
You trying to get him to confess his true love for Pagano once and for all?
HAHA No!

Dam8610
01-15-2018, 08:40 PM

Didn't we have this conversation already? Pretty sure I said Toub would be fine to me, and you could pretty much expand that you anyone who would be a head coach candidate that isn't those two and doesn't have some sort of affiliation with the Cheaters. I don't have enough familiarity with the current field to be confident in a pick like I was with Zimmer back in 2012. Unfortunately, Grigson was an idiot so Zimmer is in Minnesota.

Racehorse
01-15-2018, 08:42 PM
Didn't we have this conversation already? Pretty sure I said Toub would be fine to me, and you could pretty much expand that you anyone who would be a head coach candidate that isn't those two and doesn't have some sort of affiliation with the Cheaters. I don't have enough familiarity with the current field to be confident in a pick like I was with Zimmer back in 2012. Unfortunately, Grigson was an idiot so Zimmer is in Minnesota.

So you like Toub and that's it

Dam8610
01-15-2018, 08:45 PM
So you like Toub and that's it

Not unless Toub is the only person who fits the criteria of "Is considered a potential head coaching candidate, is not Josh McDaniels, is not Mike Vrabel, and does not have some prior affiliation with the Cheaters of New England".

Racehorse
01-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Not unless Toub is the only person who fits the criteria of "Is considered a potential head coaching candidate, is not Josh McDaniels, is not Mike Vrabel, and does not have some prior affiliation with the Cheaters of New England".

What is it about him that you like?

Spike
01-15-2018, 09:01 PM

I was going to ask the same question. Plus, how come Toub isn't being mentioned as going to any other teams?

apballin
01-15-2018, 09:05 PM
It's clear the league is trending towards the younger Madden playing coaches the success Mcvay had has had an impact on that

I still say with a healthy Luck the odds are in any coaches favor, whoever it is is definitely set up for success

Racehorse
01-15-2018, 09:06 PM
It's clear the league is trending towards the younger Madden playing coaches the success Mcvay had has had an impact on that

I still say with a healthy Luck the odds are in any coaches favor, whoever it is is definitely set up for success

Who do you prefer?

Coltsalr
01-15-2018, 09:06 PM

All your pontifications on the functions of HC’s and you haven’t bothered to research the field?

There’s a reason why people here suspect you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Dam8610
01-15-2018, 09:12 PM

I was going to ask the same question. Plus, how come Toub isn't being mentioned as going to any other teams?

Here's the difference between me and most users here: I don't express a strong opinion that isn't well researched. Toub fits the criteria I laid out above, I'm sure many other well respected coaches around the league do as well. I'm not investing the time at the moment to figure out who that is, nor of those, who would be the best fit for the Colts. It seems fruitless with all signs pointing to Cheater Jr. and his merry band of videotapers as of now, and I simply don't have the time to invest. I don't have the answer in this case, and I'm okay with that. I'm also not going to be a hypocrite and be supportive of a hire who is likely to do the same things that I believe completely taint the accomplishments of the Cheaters in the Northeast. I'd rather not have Andrew Luck's career tainted in the same way.

apballin
01-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Who do you prefer?

Leslie Frazier paired with a decent OC

Dam8610
01-15-2018, 09:17 PM
All your pontifications on the functions of HC’s and you haven’t bothered to research the field?

There’s a reason why people here suspect you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Those are two VASTLY different things. To illustrate, I could perfectly describe the role of a 4-3 undertackle and why the position is so important and high priority to a Tampa 2 defensive scheme while having no idea who the next John Randle or Warren Sapp is.

Puck
01-15-2018, 09:22 PM

The reason you and your Cousin-brother Dam dont want McDaniel is because it will be he will be the quickest of the candidates to prove to you how bad Pagass was.

This will be a night and day difference.

And if you and your cousin-brother dont want to hear about it for years to come, I would stop with your nonsense. Or remember that you are bringing this on On your own.

Racehorse
01-15-2018, 09:22 PM
Here's the difference between me and most users here: I don't express a strong opinion that isn't well researched.

However, you think research that demonstrates how inept Pagano is would be considered "groupthink".

GTFOH

Coltsalr
01-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Here's the difference between me and most users here: I don't express a strong opinion that isn't well researched. Toub fits the criteria I laid out above, I'm sure many other well respected coaches around the league do as well. I'm not investing the time at the moment to figure out who that is, nor of those, who would be the best fit for the Colts. It seems fruitless with all signs pointing to Cheater Jr. and his merry band of videotapers as of now, and I simply don't have the time to invest. I don't have the answer in this case, and I'm okay with that. I'm also not going to be a hypocrite and be supportive of a hire who is likely to do the same things that I believe completely taint the accomplishments of the Cheaters in the Northeast. I'd rather not have Andrew Luck's career tainted in the same way.

You just don’t want to be paint yourself into a corner over supporting a coach and potentially having him fail. Again.

I realize that it probably sucks for you to have Pagano as your cross to bear. Why you insist on dying on a hill is another matter, but I can’t imagine it’s pleaaant to be the board laughingstock over the fact that you were a Pagano supporter. If you could just bring yourself to admit you were wrong about him, we’d also all back off, but that’s another matter as well.

Dam8610
01-15-2018, 10:30 PM
However, you think research that demonstrates how inept Pagano is would be considered "groupthink".

GTFOH

It's not research to blame any and every problem on a head coach, nor is it well thought out. It's actually the "all or nothing" logical fallacy.

You just don’t want to be paint yourself into a corner over supporting a coach and potentially having him fail. Again.

I realize that it probably sucks for you to have Pagano as your cross to bear. Why you insist on dying on a hill is another matter, but I can’t imagine it’s pleaaant to be the board laughingstock over the fact that you were a Pagano supporter. If you could just bring yourself to admit you were wrong about him, we’d also all back off, but that’s another matter as well.

The last coaching candidate I actually supported is doing pretty well for himself. Unfortunately, the "brain trust" at the time of Irsay and Grigson chose not to hire him. One of many poor choices Grigson made.

By the way, the definition of "supporter":

a person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).

A person who openly, actively, and frequently states that they do not care what happens to another person (i.e. me stating numerous times that I did not care what happened to Pagano) cannot be said to be a supporter of that person. It's understandable that you'd confuse your language given the myriad logical fallacies you and others allowed yourselves to engage in to blame any and every problem on Pagano that you could, but nonetheless you are using the wrong word. I think this is the definition you're looking for:

a person who holds or expresses opinions that are at variance with those previously, commonly, or officially expressed.

That describes me very well. A "dissenter" is what I am on the issue, mostly because I didn't (and still don't) think that nearly the number of things people here wanted to blame on Pagano were actually his fault, and I didn't (and still don't) think that the expectations set upon him by most of you were reasonable in any way. It's over now, though. He can't be blamed for anything the Colts do moving forward and there obviously can't be any expectations of him moving forward in relation to the Colts. Thus, there's no relevant difference of opinion anymore.

Dam8610
01-15-2018, 10:39 PM
The reason you and your Cousin-brother Dam dont want McDaniel is because it will be he will be the quickest of the candidates to prove to you how bad Pagass was.

This will be a night and day difference.

And if you and your cousin-brother dont want to hear about it for years to come, I would stop with your nonsense. Or remember that you are bringing this on On your own.

You're a hypocrite (https://www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/spygate-ii-nfl-fines-broncos-coach-josh-mcdaniels-team-employee-videotaped-49ers-walkthrough-article-1.454047) if you've ever said that Belicheat and Brady's cheating taints their accomplishments and you still support hiring McDaniels.

Spike
01-15-2018, 11:14 PM

Leslie Frazier? Why? It doesn't appear that any team is even interested in interviewing him that I know of.

Brylok
01-16-2018, 12:28 AM
I'll take a chance on McDaniels. I think Luck will flourish with him. Plus it sounds like McDaniels and the Colts are expected to bring in former Cowboys assistant coach Matt Eberflus as their defensive coordinator.

Tom Pelissero has also reported that McDaniels and the Colts are expected to bring in former Cowboys assistant coach Matt Eberflus as their defensive coordinator. Eberflus spent 7 seasons with the Cowboys as their linebackers coach before adding on the title of passing game coordinator in 2016.

Eberflus helped develop Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens and Jaylon Smith as well as many others during his time in Dallas. Many viewed him as a very hot defensive coordinator candidate, with Blogging the Boys calling him the “most important Cowboys free agent”. Eberflus’ style of defense has yet to be truly revealed, but with his background as a 4-3 defense guy, it’s expected that he’ll implement a 4-3 defense.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/15/16893710/report-colts-expected-to-hire-mcdaniels-as-head-coach-eberflus-pegged-as-potential-dc

This sounds entertaining to me.

DrSpaceman
01-16-2018, 10:00 AM
It's not research to blame any and every problem on a head coach, nor is it well thought out. It's actually the "all or nothing" logical fallacy.

The last coaching candidate I actually supported is doing pretty well for himself. Unfortunately, the "brain trust" at the time of Irsay and Grigson chose not to hire him. One of many poor choices Grigson made.

A person who openly, actively, and frequently states that they do not care what happens to another person (i.e. me stating numerous times that I did not care what happened to Pagano) cannot be said to be a supporter of that person. It's understandable that you'd confuse your language given the myriad logical fallacies you and others allowed yourselves to engage in to blame any and every problem on Pagano that you could, but nonetheless you are using the wrong word. I think this is the definition you're looking for:

That describes me very well. A "dissenter" is what I am on the issue, mostly because I didn't (and still don't) think that nearly the number of things people here wanted to blame on Pagano were actually his fault, and I didn't (and still don't) think that the expectations set upon him by most of you were reasonable in any way. It's over now, though. He can't be blamed for anything the Colts do moving forward and there obviously can't be any expectations of him moving forward in relation to the Colts. Thus, there's no relevant difference of opinion anymore.

My expectation for this season was that they not continuously blow 4th quarter leads. 4th quarter they were 30th in scoring defense and 32nd in scoring offense.

But none of that is coaching I guess. Unrealistic he would have any control over that.

And no he can't be blamed for anything for the Colts moving forward, thank God.

HoosierinFL
01-16-2018, 11:00 AM

And who is blaming any and every problem on Pagano? This board has been complaining about Irsay, Grigson and Pagano for a few years now. But Grigson is gone and problems persisted, so it became "Irsay is too drug addled to run the team" and "Pagano is an idiot". On top of that, there have been plenty of complaints about certain players who are not good enough to be on the team. Hello TJ Green. Hello Trent Richardson. Hello a bunch of OL players over the years.
You are just making things up to support your view that you are right and we are all irrationally blaming problems on Pagano.

As I said, no one is excusing Irsay and esp Grigson for their errors, which were rather bad. And I don't know who this coach is you are referring to, but I'm not sure it matters.

You may not be a supporter in any obvious way, but your absolute refusal to acknowledge that Pagano is an obvious reason why this team commits some many unforced errors, stupid penalties, and is wholly unprepared for an opponent nor can make any halftime adjustments is irrational. Thus, people are going to call you a Pagano supporter when you deny what is obvious to virtually everyone.

You are a dissenter without evidence or reason, which just makes you either a troll or an idiot.

Racehorse
01-16-2018, 11:23 AM
And who is blaming any and every problem on Pagano? This board has been complaining about Irsay, Grigson and Pagano for a few years now. But Grigson is gone and problems persisted, so it became "Irsay is too drug addled to run the team" and "Pagano is an idiot". On top of that, there have been plenty of complaints about certain players who are not good enough to be on the team. Hello TJ Green. Hello Trent Richardson. Hello a bunch of OL players over the years.
You are just making things up to support your view that you are right and we are all irrationally blaming problems on Pagano.

As I said, no one is excusing Irsay and esp Grigson for their errors, which were rather bad. And I don't know who this coach is you are referring to, but I'm not sure it matters.

You may not be a supporter in any obvious way, but your absolute refusal to acknowledge that Pagano is an obvious reason why this team commits some many unforced errors, stupid penalties, and is wholly unprepared for an opponent nor can make any halftime adjustments is irrational. Thus, people are going to call you a Pagano supporter when you deny what is obvious to virtually everyone.

You are a dissenter without evidence or reason, which just makes you either a troll or an idiot.

He is talking about Zimmer.

Dam is a perfect example of a guy who has the smallest penis. He can never be wrong, so he will never admit it. When others point at his little guy, he deflects attention to something else, like the gym teacher picking his nose. Everyone knows he has a small dick, but he keeps on trying to say it is because the water makes it look small or something else stupid like that.

By the way, your post is spot on. The franchise went off the rails about six years ago and now two of the three issues have been replaced. If it improves, then we know it is not because Irsay is as bad as we think, but that he hired the wrong guys six years ago. Then his loyalty to those two out-weighed the obvious faults in both of them.

New regime brings hope for improved results. If McDaniels is the guy, Dam will not support him, which would show that he is not a Colts fan, but a Pagano fan. Time will tell.

DrSpaceman
01-16-2018, 12:09 PM
He is talking about Zimmer.

Dam is a perfect example of a guy who has the smallest penis. He can never be wrong, so he will never admit it. When others point at his little guy, he deflects attention to something else, like the gym teacher picking his nose. Everyone knows he has a small dick, but he keeps on trying to say it is because the water makes it look small or something else stupid like that.

By the way, your post is spot on. The franchise went off the rails about six years ago and now two of the three issues have been replaced. If it improves, then we know it is not because Irsay is as bad as we think, but that he hired the wrong guys six years ago. Then his loyalty to those two out-weighed the obvious faults in both of them.

New regime brings hope for improved results. If McDaniels is the guy, Dam will not support him, which would show that he is not a Colts fan, but a Pagano fan. Time will tell.

If McDaniels succeeds he will claim it was all do to better players and Pagano would have done as well.

You are right about Irsay 6 years ago. Two bad hires. That is one reason why I am kind of glad Pagano was fired this year and not last. If he had fired Grigson and Pagano at the same time, Irsay would have been in charge again in both hires. That didn't work last time

Dam8610
01-16-2018, 01:04 PM
And who is blaming any and every problem on Pagano?

Everyone here except myself, apballin, and sherck. Because at least when sherck complains about something, he gives evidence to back it up. A great example of this is the Bengals game. In the postgame thread, the first thing everyone jumped on was coaching. It took until page 3 of that thread for someone to finally prominently mention what caused that loss, namely Brissett's Pick 6. Check for yourself if you don't believe me.

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23789&page=3

This board has been complaining about Irsay, Grigson and Pagano for a few years now. But Grigson is gone and problems persisted, so it became "Irsay is too drug addled to run the team" and "Pagano is an idiot". On top of that, there have been plenty of complaints about certain players who are not good enough to be on the team. Hello TJ Green. Hello Trent Richardson. Hello a bunch of OL players over the years.

The problem I had with everyone's viewpoint here was that any mistake, any problem, any poor execution was on coaching. Go back and look if you don't believe me, I've already provided one example. It was like, outside of the few board favorite whipping boys, most of which you mentioned above, you all thought this was the 2005 Colts roster and results weren't happening. The reality was that the roster was bottom 5 of the league in talent, especially after Hooker, Simon, and Kelly went down. When you have a bottom 5 roster, you get a top 5 draft pick typically.

Zimmer, and it doesn't matter other than that certain people keep insisting that Pagano was "my guy", which is wrong.

This is the main problem I have. Everyone here seemed to want "something done", but no one wanted to logically evaluate what could be done, seemingly because that would run counter to their argument. For example, if Brissett throws a pick six in a crucial moment that turns a lead into a deficit, what could be done? Bench him? Okay, but then you have Scott Tolzien throwing the ball. If a starter on defense (who likely would be a backup on a good team) commits a "stupid penalty" (a board favorite phrase), are you going to bench him and put his even worse backup out there? As for lack of execution, what do you expect when your roster talent level is bottom 5 in the league? Again, these aren't the 2005 Colts.

The funniest part of all of this, and the part that tells me that what you're saying isn't even remotely the truth, is that there WERE corrective action moves taken by Pagano...and those were bitched about too. Starting Kamar Aiken over Donte Moncreif and making Quincy Wilson a healthy scratch for several games are the two that immediately come to mind that show that it wasn't actually about wanting Pagano to lead and do the things a head coach is supposed to do, it was just about bitching to bitch and wanting Pagano gone because you had all convinced yourselves that he was the problem.

No, I am a dissenter with evidence and reason dissenting against those who display none.

Dam8610
01-16-2018, 01:15 PM
If McDaniels is the guy, Dam will not support him, which would show that he is not a Colts fan, but a Pagano fan. Time will tell.

I was a Colts fan long before I knew who Chuck Pagano was, and I will be long after. If they hire McCheater (https://www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/spygate-ii-nfl-fines-broncos-coach-josh-mcdaniels-team-employee-videotaped-49ers-walkthrough-article-1.454047), I will have a hard time supporting that, but that only has to do with me not being a hypocrite. I don't believe that Brady and Belicheat's accomplishments should be legitimized in any way, and given that he's already a proven cheater himself, I couldn't look at anything accomplished in his tenure as legitimate, either, and I'd rather not have that cloud over my favorite franchise or its star QB.

Racehorse
01-16-2018, 02:15 PM
I was a Colts fan long before I knew who Chuck Pagano was, and I will be long after. If they hire McCheater (https://www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/spygate-ii-nfl-fines-broncos-coach-josh-mcdaniels-team-employee-videotaped-49ers-walkthrough-article-1.454047), I will have a hard time supporting that, but that only has to do with me not being a hypocrite. I don't believe that Brady and Belicheat's accomplishments should be legitimized in any way, and given that he's already a proven cheater himself, I couldn't look at anything accomplished in his tenure as legitimate, either, and I'd rather not have that cloud over my favorite franchise or its star QB.

Oh, but you are a hypocrite.

HoosierinFL
01-16-2018, 04:54 PM
You're full of shit. There have been entire threads on this board talking about the holes in the roster. There have been entire threads in recent years about Grigson's failures.

sherck
01-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Everyone here except myself, apballin, and sherck. Because at least when sherck complains about something, he gives evidence to back it up.

Holy crud, how did I get mixed up with these two guys! How so I get off that train?

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dam8610
01-16-2018, 05:17 PM
Holy crud, how did I get mixed up with these two guys! How so I get off that train?

Walk Worthy,

You actually support your arguments. I suppose you could just start spouting nonsense with nothing to back it like everyone else.

Dam8610
01-16-2018, 05:22 PM
You're full of shit. There have been entire threads on this board talking about the holes in the roster. There have been entire threads in recent years about Grigson's failures.

Okay. That has nothing to do with the argument you made. Look at the postgame threads. I understand that coaches and QBs get outsized portions of blame sand credit, but it was taken to another level here.

YDFL Commish
01-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Okay. That has nothing to do with the argument you made. Look at the postgame threads. I understand that coaches and QBs get outsized portions of blame sand credit, but it was taken to another level here.

What to do you think the fans in Pittsburgh are doing right now.

I'm quite sure that they are roasting their coaches at levels that have never, been and will never be done here, and rightfully so.

Brylok
01-16-2018, 05:31 PM
You actually support your arguments. I suppose you could just start spouting nonsense with nothing to back it like everyone else.

You lost whatever little credibility you had left when...at the obvious end of your boy Pagano's run... you stated that coaching doesn't matter and offered a table of statisticals to back random chance. The majority of people on this board don't care about your opinion.

omahacolt
01-16-2018, 06:26 PM

and that is fine. i understand that sentiment. i can respect it even

but he won't do anything. he is just a head coach. they have very little effect on the game. per your opinion of course. so why does it matter? even if he cheats it won't matter because coaches don't do anything

omahacolt
01-16-2018, 06:32 PM
and what dam will never discuss

is the obvious issues with coaching decisions (we all know examples), his players he went to bat for to acquire, his playing terrible players that we knew were terrible for weeks only to bench them for players we knew were better all all along but blamed this on grigson but it kept happening this year, his terrible clock management, and ect. ect.

Butter
01-16-2018, 09:53 PM
I feel pretty conflicted about Mcdaniels. I really dislike the taint of cheating and he has plenty of it between deflate-gate and the Donkeytape. The Denver years look bad on him, but he was young and the Rams year can kind of be overlooked, that team was shit. I do really like the offense he runs and I think Luck will excel in it. A man deserves a second chance and none of the cheating he was involved with deserves a lifetime ban. I hope he has learned his lessons and does not leave a stank on my team.

apballin
01-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Leslie Frazier? Why? It doesn't appear that any team is even interested in interviewing him that I know of.

Think he's still a good coach, been successful everywhere he's been and was the unsung hero of our Super bowl team

Not that it matters now I for one was hoping this was a "curveball hire"

apballin
01-16-2018, 10:07 PM

Walk Worthy,

Don't matter at the end of the day we are all Coltfreaks, that's what makes this place awesome to me we agree we disagree but theviewpoints are always interesting and shed light from different directions

Butter
01-16-2018, 10:52 PM
Don't matter at the end of the day we are all Coltfreaks, that's what makes this place awesome to me we agree we disagree but theviewpoints are always interesting and shed light from different directions

It is the Thunderdome of Colts fan forums.

Thorgrim
01-17-2018, 12:15 AM
It is the Thunderdome of Colts fan forums.

I like to think of it as the Delta Tau Chi of Colts fan forums.

Mr. Session
01-17-2018, 08:51 AM

The takes are unfiltered too.

We can all say what we want to say here without having to worry about some fat moderator's opinion on what is politically correct.

I love this place. (except for Dam, lately)