PDA

View Full Version : Dave Toub research

FatDT
01-05-2018, 05:09 PM
He's a ST coach and probably will be our next HC. Hard to know much about him. I'm looking around the internet and will be posting things as I find them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-fFrQBHTA

- Andy Reid got him into the NFL in the first place, in 2003 w/the Eagles
- Andy Reid has tried to hire Toub twice since he left Philly, finally did it the third time in KC after the whole Chicago staff was let go.
- Looks for smart, tenacious, hard workers to develop.
- Values the Combine for interviews and watching player movement, but calls it "necessary evil"
- Asks a lot of players and wants players to buy into existing philosophy
- Would probably bring Kevin O'Day with him

http://www.chiefs.com/longreads/2015/davetoub.html

- Toub met Reid while driving him to lunch before Reid interved for the OL coach job at UTEP
- Toub played center in college and briefly in the NFL, for the Eagles and the Rams
- He got his start as a strength and conditioning coach. Called that his first passion
- Became the Missouri Tigers' DL coach and developed Justin Smith, the All Pro that played for the Bengals and 49ers
- Coached DL there for 3 years
- Toub coached STs under John Harbaugh and DL under Tommy Brasher in the early 2000s in Philly. When Jim Johnson was the DC.
- Andy Reid thinks Toub would be good at anything, including being a HC.

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 05:48 PM
He's a ST coach and probably will be our next HC. Hard to know much about him. I'm looking around the internet and will be posting things as I find them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-fFrQBHTA

- Andy Reid got him into the NFL in the first place, in 2003 w/the Eagles
- Andy Reid has tried to hire Toub twice since he left Philly, finally did it the third time in KC after the whole Chicago staff was let go.
- Looks for smart, tenacious, hard workers to develop.
- Values the Combine for interviews and watching player movement, but calls it "necessary evil"
- Asks a lot of players and wants players to buy into existing philosophy
- Would probably bring Kevin O'Day with him

http://www.chiefs.com/longreads/2015/davetoub.html

- Toub met Reid while driving him to lunch before Reid interved for the OL coach job at UTEP
- Toub played center in college and briefly in the NFL, for the Eagles and the Rams
- He got his start as a strength and conditioning coach. Called that his first passion
- Became the Missouri Tigers' DL coach and developed Justin Smith, the All Pro that played for the Bengals and 49ers
- Coached DL there for 3 years
- Toub coached STs under John Harbaugh and DL under Tommy Brasher in the early 2000s in Philly. When Jim Johnson was the DC.
- Andy Reid thinks Toub would be good at anything, including being a HC.

Is that Kevin O'Dea? I assume he'd become ST coordinator?

Puck
01-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Here's my issue with hiring a ST's coach. May not be much of an issue but it could be.

What schemes does he bring? Who will the coordinators be? Let's say he goes out and gets 2 coordinators and the defense gets better .... top 10 better.... we get back Luck, and the offense goes back to a top 5 offense....

How long do you think either coordinator would be here? They would get scooped for a HC job somewhere.

My opinion is we need to hire someone like McDaniels or Nagy who would control one side of the ball... as a play caller or has brought in his offense and has a OC to run it, and if that OC gets hired away, the scheme stays the same and the HC could call plays if needed.

This team needs an offensive minded HC more than it needs a defensive minded coach.

JMO
Pete

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Here's my issue with hiring a ST's coach. May not be much of an issue but it could be.

What schemes does he bring? Who will the coordinators be? Let's say he goes out and gets 2 coordinators and the defense gets better .... top 10 better.... we get back Luck, and the offense goes back to a top 5 offense....

How long do you think either coordinator would be here? They would get scooped for a HC job somewhere.

My opinion is we need to hire someone like McDaniels or Nagy who would control one side of the ball... as a play caller or has brought in his offense and has a OC to run it, and if that OC gets hired away, the scheme stays the same and the HC could call plays if needed.

This team needs an offensive minded HC more than it needs a defensive minded coach.

JMO
Pete

It doesn't seem like it's been much of a problem for John Harbaugh. ST Coordinators may not have experience with offense or defense (though Toub does have limited experience on defense), but they have a great deal of experience with being adaptable and scheme diverse, because their players change constantly. I think if they hire Toub, we'll have to trust he and Ballard to put together a good staff. I'm fine with that at this point, and much better with it than I am bringing in McDaniels.

Puck
01-05-2018, 07:07 PM
It doesn't seem like it's been much of a problem for John Harbaugh. ST Coordinators may not have experience with offense or defense (though Toub does have limited experience on defense), but they have a great deal of experience with being adaptable and scheme diverse, because their players change constantly. I think if they hire Toub, we'll have to trust he and Ballard to put together a good staff. I'm fine with that at this point, and much better with it than I am bringing in McDaniels.

Well. They aren't a top 10 D or a top 5 offense either

YDFL Commish
01-05-2018, 07:14 PM

JMO
Pete

I've said this before; it really doesn't matter what side of the ball most HC's come from in their previous employment. They rarely fix the side of the ball they were hired to fix.

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Well. They aren't a top 10 D or a top 5 offense either

Honestly if they hire Toub, my hope would be they'd bring Tom Moore back on offense and find someone like Capers to run the defense.

Puck
01-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Tom Moore is 79 yrs old!!!!!

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 07:29 PM

So? He's a good OC who had zero interest in head coaching jobs.

VeveJones007
01-05-2018, 07:29 PM
I've said this before; it really doesn't matter what side of the ball most HC's come from in their previous employment. They rarely fix the side of the ball they were hired to fix.

Sean McVay says “hello.”

Puck
01-05-2018, 07:31 PM

McDaniels would certainly fix the offensive side of the ball

rcubed
01-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Coordinators come and go, thats life in NFL. If the HC doesnt have a “specialty” on O or D, that shouldn’t be a problem. We need someone to come in and run the show, make good game time decisions, hold people accountable, etc. No more clapping and ass grabbing.

Puck
01-05-2018, 07:40 PM
Coordinators come and go, thats life in NFL. If the HC doesnt have a “specialty” on O or D, that shouldn’t be a problem. We need someone to come in and run the show, make good game time decisions, hold people accountable, etc. No more clapping and ass grabbing.

Well IMO Luck and this offense has had their lifetime in OC's and scheme changes. Give me an OC that brings his own system until Luck has won 2-4 SB's and has retired

omahacolt
01-05-2018, 08:01 PM

JMO
Pete

i get your point but i don't see it as being necessary. subtle changes to an offense is fine.

i think people get way too worked up over manning staying in one system.

Racehorse
01-05-2018, 08:06 PM

Well, coaches don't matter, so why would their age?

omahacolt
Honestly if they hire Toub, my hope would be they'd bring Tom Moore back on offense and find someone like Capers to run the defense.

you still want pagano as coach

your opinion on the matter is of no importance

omahacolt
Well, coaches don't matter, so why would their age?

bravo

i was going to say something similar

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 08:25 PM
well, coaches don't matter nearly as much as most fans think they do, so why would their age?

fify.

omahacolt
01-05-2018, 08:38 PM
fify.

yep

we should have banned you

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 08:53 PM
yep

we should have banned you

Much as I'm sure you'd like there to be, there's no rule against annoying you. But I guess we can't stop you from crying about things, either.

omahacolt
01-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Much as I'm sure you'd like there to be, there's no rule against annoying you. But I guess we can't stop you from crying about things, either.

Whatever you say damold trump

YDFL Commish
01-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Sean McVay says “hello.”

I did say rarely.

YDFL Commish
01-05-2018, 09:29 PM
McDaniels would certainly fix the offensive side of the ball

I agree that it's probable. But mostly because of the impotent offense that was run previously.

Remember Brian Billick?

Gimmick
01-06-2018, 06:04 AM
55 and never been a head coach. Next please.

Gimmick
01-06-2018, 06:06 AM
I have no problem with hiring a ST coach, God knows our return units have been worst of all time for 20 years.

But I challenge anyone to find me a SB winning coach who didn't start until he was AARP or getting ready to collect social security. He's probably just a good assistant and nothing more.

Thorgrim
01-06-2018, 09:22 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/05/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-2018-nfl-coaching-carousel

Decent article that may allay some fears.

Coltsalr
01-06-2018, 10:49 AM
I agree that it's probable. But mostly because of the impotent offense that was run previously.

Remember Brian Billick?

True, McDaniels has only proven himself capable of having a spectacular offense when he has a great QB. I have no doubt that he’d falter, just as he has in the past, with a lame QB, much like Brian Billick.

Luckily, he’d have a great QB in Indy.

I say this, not sarcastically, because we have indeed had idiot OC’s that have proven themselves incapable of having great offenses with a great QB. McDaniels at least wouldn’t squander our QB talent.

Racehorse
01-06-2018, 11:46 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/05/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-2018-nfl-coaching-carousel

Decent article that may allay some fears.

Interesting article, but even more interesting is that the video that ran with it had nothing to do with Toub, but says McDaniels is the best fit for us.

omahacolt
01-06-2018, 11:46 AM
True, McDaniels has only proven himself capable of having a spectacular offense when he has a great QB. I have no doubt that he’d falter, just as he has in the past, with a lame QB, much like Brian Billick.

I say this, not sarcastically, because we have indeed had idiot OC’s that have proven themselves incapable of having great offenses with a great QB. McDaniels at least wouldn’t squander our QB talent.

and you would get more patriots to root for

VeveJones007
01-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Remember Brian Billick?

I certainly hope that Ballard does a better job of adding playmakers to the defense than the Ravens did at QB.

VeveJones007
01-06-2018, 03:27 PM

I worry about how long it would take to get the offense built the way that McDaniels would want; although, it isn't terribly different from what the offense needs anyway. If they were to do it, now is a good time. They need:

-Multiple underneath WR options
-Receiving back
-Upgrade at TE
-3 OL

Sure, they have the QB (assuming health), but that's a 2-3 year build needed on offense.

VeveJones007
01-06-2018, 03:31 PM
I have no problem with hiring a ST coach, God knows our return units have been worst of all time for 20 years.

But I challenge anyone to find me a SB winning coach who didn't start until he was AARP or getting ready to collect social security. He's probably just a good assistant and nothing more.

Winning a Super Bowl is too small a criteria. How about Bruce Arians?

Racehorse
01-06-2018, 03:49 PM
I worry about how long it would take to get the offense built the way that McDaniels would want; although, it isn't terribly different from what the offense needs anyway. If they were to do it, now is a good time. They need:

-Receiving back
-Upgrade at TE
-3 OL

Sure, they have the QB (assuming health), but that's a 2-3 year build needed on offense.
Not sure all of that is true. The line would look better with quicker reads. TY and Rogers could do the underneath stuff quite well, if allowed. Heck, Donte could, if retained for a new contract. Doyle can catch as well as most TEs. If you want a Gronk, then you will be disappointed. There is just one of those.

Coltsalr
01-06-2018, 03:51 PM
and you would get more patriots to root for

Our track record on former Pats that I’ve been excited to acquire (Butler, Sheard, Brissett, Sergio Brown, etc) has been pretty good.

Coltsalr
01-06-2018, 03:54 PM

-Receiving back
-Upgrade at TE
-3 OL

McDaniels has made it work in spite of rotating personnel, particularly along the OL in NE.

That said, I do agree that for his quick hitting offense that we’d need to start changing the WR corps to getting smart WR’s that can read coverages and get open underneath as opposed to the world-class speed burner deep threats that Grigson had such a fetish for.

Coltsalr
01-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Not sure all of that is true. The line would look better with quicker reads. TY and Rogers could do the underneath stuff quite well, if allowed. Heck, Donte could, if retained for a new contract. Doyle can catch as well as most TEs. If you want a Gronk, then you will be disappointed. There is just one of those.

Well, I do doubt that Ballard’s former team would be willing to trade us Kelce.

That said, Jimmy Graham is supposed to be let go by Seattle this offseason. He could fit the bill on doing some of the deep seam and red zone routes that McDaniels likes to run with Gronk.

Dewey 5
01-06-2018, 04:21 PM
McDaniels is the guy I really want to get the job but I don't think he will take the job if Ballard offers it to him.I think he will go the Giants or Titans when they lose today & Mularkey gets fired.

Next up for me would be Matt Nagy & I wouldn't hesitate for one minute.

omahacolt
01-06-2018, 05:01 PM
Our track record on former Pats that I’ve been excited to acquire (Butler, Sheard, Brissett, Sergio Brown, etc) has been pretty good.

you have wanted every single patriot that has been released or traded or not signed by the pats.

it would be an easier list to ask what former pats players didn't you want?

Coltsalr
01-06-2018, 05:05 PM
you have wanted every single patriot that has been released or traded or not signed by the pats.

it would be an easier list to ask what former pats players didn't you want?

And you were a cheerleader for every guy that Grigson did bring in.

It would be easier to come up with a list to come up with guys that Grigson brought in that didn’t actually suck.

Puck
01-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Toub isn't even scheduled for an interview with the Colts unless I mossed something

Puck
01-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Toub isn't even scheduled for an interview with the Colts unless I mossed something

I checked he is not.... so not sure why he is getting so much attention...

JMichael557
01-07-2018, 06:23 PM
I would guess that they interview Toub last.

GoBigBlue88
01-07-2018, 06:57 PM
I would imagine Ballard already knows he likes Toub and knows how that interview will go, so he's talking to other candidates first. Plus, like I said, he's just now able to interview coaches from wildcard games.

Puck
01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
I would imagine Ballard already knows he likes Toub and knows how that interview will go, so he's talking to other candidates first. Plus, like I said, he's just now able to interview coaches from wildcard games.

That's what I thought too but He already interviewed Nagy

Puck
01-07-2018, 07:22 PM
So question for the Toub fans.

I think the HC needs to be good at game management and let his coordinators do their thing.

So without bringing in someone like McDaniels or Nagy. Or on the other side of the ball Wilkes

Who are the top OC's DC's that he could bring in without them having to make a lateral move?

Are we looking at head coaches that were fired and raiding their coaches?

Bring in McDaniels and he has one side of the ball covered. Bring in WIlkes or Vrable and hopefully the same and you only need to cover one coordinator that brings a scheme/system.

I am just not seeing the great OC's DC's that are available... I'll admit I haven't dug into it a lot

DC's off the top of my head are Capers, Singletary
OC's would be Mcarthy and other than that I dont know

THoughts ?

Spike
01-07-2018, 08:21 PM

I think the HC needs to be good at game management and let his coordinators do their thing.

So without bringing in someone like McDaniels or Nagy. Or on the other side of the ball Wilkes

Who are the top OC's DC's that he could bring in without them having to make a lateral move?

Bring in McDaniels and he has one side of the ball covered. Bring in WIlkes or Vrable and hopefully the same and you only need to cover one coordinator that brings a scheme/system.

I am just not seeing the great OC's DC's that are available... I'll admit I haven't dug into it a lot

THoughts ?

Green Bay Packer fans couldn't wait for Capers to get fired.

Puck
01-07-2018, 08:24 PM
Green Bay Packer fans couldn't wait for Capers to get fired.

Yea. He wasn't very good lately.... so who else is out there? Caldwell as OC? Pettine as DC?

If it is someone like Toub. We are probably going to see some first time coordinators getting their starts....

Indiana V2
01-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Yea. He wasn't very good lately.... so who else is out there? Caldwell as OC? Pettine as DC?

If it is someone like Toub. We are probably going to see some first time coordinators getting their starts....

This concerns me.

VeveJones007
01-08-2018, 01:15 AM

THoughts ?

You only hire Toub if he has his coordinators lined up.

VeveJones007
01-08-2018, 01:18 AM

At the press conference, they made it sound like there’s be a 2nd round of interviews (or at least a conversation) between Irsay and Ballard’s choice. I’m guessing Toub got a bye to that 2nd stage...or Ballard was never as high on Toub as originally thought.

Puck
01-08-2018, 08:38 AM
At the press conference, they made it sound like there’s be a 2nd round of interviews (or at least a conversation) between Irsay and Ballard’s choice. I’m guessing Toub got a bye to that 2nd stage...or Ballard was never as high on Toub as originally thought.

I think he will either be interviewd later like JMichael said or more your last point which is probabaly the truth. Media played Toub up fans jumped on and away we go

I'd be surprised if we do t have a coach by Friday

1965southpaw
01-10-2018, 06:30 PM
Big Joe raised a very good point on his show today re: taub......many have speculated that Ballard is waiting til the end because he knows him so well but nobody is talking about the fact that no other organization with a coaching vacancy has opted to interview Taub. He has literally interviewed nowhere not just not at the Colts. What does this mean? I'm really starting to think the whole Taub is a lock story-line is a fiction of a media frustrated by the fact that they are on the outside and that Ballard is doing exactly what he said he would do......look at a lot of candidates, take his time, do his due diligence, keep everything in house.

VeveJones007
01-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Big Joe raised a very good point on his show today re: taub......many have speculated that Ballard is waiting til the end because he knows him so well but nobody is talking about the fact that no other organization with a coaching vacancy has opted to interview Taub. He has literally interviewed nowhere not just not at the Colts. What does this mean? I'm really starting to think the whole Taub is a lock story-line is a fiction of a media frustrated by the fact that they are on the outside and that Ballard is doing exactly what he said he would do......look at a lot of candidates, take his time, do his due diligence, keep everything in house.

Toub has interviewed for a few HC jobs the last few years. He may have even interviewed already for the Indy job and we just don’t know it.