PDA

View Full Version : Head Coaching Search

Pages : [1] 2 3

VeveJones007
01-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Thought it might be worth its own thread now that Pagano is officially out.

Tom Pelissero
‏Verified account
@TomPelissero
The #Colts have requested an interview with #Seahawks DC Kris Richard for their head coaching job, sources say. So add him to names @RapSheet and @MikeGarafolo said earlier: Josh McDaniels, Matt Nagy, Steve Wilks, Mike Vrabel. #Bills interviewed Richard last year.

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account
@RapSheet
Jan 1
Three candidates the #Colts are expected to interview: #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, #Chiefs OC Matt Nagy, #Chiefs ST coach Dave Toub. There will be others, of course.

VeveJones007
01-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Michael Giardi
‏Verified account
@MikeGiardi
Can confirm Josh McDaniels will interview with the Colts Thursday. Said to be very intrigued by opening.

McDaniels will interview on Thursday with Indy before interviewing with the Bears and Giants on Friday.

Michael Giardi
Verified account
@MikeGiardi
Source tells me Josh McDaniels will do the double dip on Friday, interviewing with both the Bears and Giants. Colts is Thurs

HoosierinFL
01-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Kris richard is a rooney rule candidate

VeveJones007
01-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Nagy confirmed he is going to interview with the Colts, but it can't happen until the Chiefs are eliminated or the week after the AFCCG.

VeveJones007
01-03-2018, 03:37 PM
I find it interesting that we haven't seen much confirmed around Toub at this point, but that's probably just because Ballard is already so familiar with Toub that he doesn't need to do a ton a background.

GoBigBlue88
01-03-2018, 04:44 PM
I find it interesting that we haven't seen much confirmed around Toub at this point, but that's probably just because Ballard is already so familiar with Toub that he doesn't need to do a ton a background.

Chiefs are playing this weekend. That hasn't stopped the Nagy report, but it's an obstacle to interviewing, so naturally you're going to hear more about the Richards, Wilks, McDaniels of the coaching carousel before you hear about teams that play wildcard weekend.

Coltsalr
01-03-2018, 10:10 PM
@JasonLaCanfora
The Colts are interviewing Josh McDaniels tonight. He is a very, very strong candidate there. Pairing him with Luck could be potent

apballin
01-03-2018, 10:53 PM
I'd rather have Mcdaniels out of the assistants listed

But the thought of a pats assistant as our coach makes me wanna fuckin puke

Coltsalr
01-03-2018, 10:57 PM
I'd rather have Mcdaniels out of the assistants listed

But the thought of a pats assistant as our coach makes me wanna fuckin puke

Just think of it as weakening the opposition while also strengthening your own team.

smitty46953
01-03-2018, 11:14 PM
@JasonLaCanfora
The Colts are interviewing Josh McDaniels tonight. He is a very, very strong candidate there. Pairing him with Luck could be potent

Same guy that traded the 2010 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to Baltimore for the 1st rd 25th pick to grab Tim Tebow? Scares me a bit ... :cool:

DrSpaceman
01-04-2018, 12:37 AM
If he truly wants power over personnel decisions, the answer is, and I am sure Ballard will tell him, no

I don't hate the idea of McDaniels. At least the offense would be good. Just wouldn't be my first choice.

Coltsalr
01-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Same guy that traded the 2010 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to Baltimore for the 1st rd 25th pick to grab Tim Tebow? Scares me a bit ... :cool:

Certainly, he very hopefully won't have the power to do such things if he comes here.

Also, he appears to have learned a lot from his mistakes.

Coltsalr
01-04-2018, 09:37 AM
If he truly wants power over personnel decisions, the answer is, and I am sure Ballard will tell him, no

I don't hate the idea of McDaniels. At least the offense would be good. Just wouldn't be my first choice.

Harbaugh or Saban would be my first choice, but I'm pretty sure we would've heard some rumblings on either if that were the case.

Short of that, I'd go McDaniels. As you said, the offense would be good and there's a high correlation rate right now between QB development (and in turn team success) and HC's that are offensive-minded:

Sean McVay comes to the Rams and they're suddenly one of the best teams in football and Jared Goff has a meteoric development, Doug Pederson has the Eagles thriving until Wentz died, Jason Garrett/Dak Prescott, Jay Gruden/Kirk Cousins, Kyle Shanahan/Jimmy Garappolo, Doug Marrone/Bortles, and Adam Gase had gotten Ryan Tannehill to being a postseason QB before he died.

Gimme an offensive-minded HC.

Maniac
01-04-2018, 09:56 AM

How do you know if he learned anything or not?

Maniac
01-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Harbaugh or Saban would be my first choice, but I'm pretty sure we would've heard some rumblings on either if that were the case.

Short of that, I'd go McDaniels. As you said, the offense would be good and there's a high correlation rate right now between QB development (and in turn team success) and HC's that are offensive-minded:

Sean McVay comes to the Rams and they're suddenly one of the best teams in football and Jared Goff has a meteoric development, Doug Pederson has the Eagles thriving until Wentz died, Jason Garrett/Dak Prescott, Jay Gruden/Kirk Cousins, Kyle Shanahan/Jimmy Garappolo, Doug Marrone/Bortles, and Adam Gase had gotten Ryan Tannehill to being a postseason QB before he died.

Gimme an offensive-minded HC.

There is nothing wrong with a defensive minded head coach. The important thing is who they hire to run the offense and that they don't limit the coordinator with their own flawed philosophy like Pagano did.

Just the same as the offensive minded head coach must make a good decision on the defensive coordinator or you're screwed on that side of the ball.

It's the same either way, they just have to make smart hires

Coltsalr
01-04-2018, 10:05 AM
How do you know if he learned anything or not?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

Good read.

Maniac
01-04-2018, 10:19 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

Good read.

Good for him if that's true. Hopefully not just PR.

Dam8610
01-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Just think of it as weakening the opposition while also strengthening your own team.

Or more accurately, weakening your own team while not affecting the opposition.

Dam8610
01-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Certainly, he very hopefully won't have the power to do such things if he comes here.

Is that why he's said to want GM level input? Because he learned from the last time he had GM level input that that was a bad idea?

Coltsalr
01-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Or more accurately, weakening your own team while not affecting the opposition.

You might be thinking of what it was when the Colts lured Pagano away from the Ravens.

Is that why he's said to want GM level input? Because he learned from the last time he had GM level input that that was a bad idea?

There's always some input from the HC. It's a matter of whether he's demanding to be full Czar of the organization. If that's the case, then I'd imagine Ballard would either refuse to hire him or would walk away in disgust if Irsay made it so.

FatDT
01-04-2018, 11:16 AM
I haven't seen any evidence other than fan talk that McDaniels is demanding roster control. If that is what he wants he won't get it here and I'd have a hard time believing he'd get it anywhere else. He needs to prove himself as a HC.

Pez
01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
There is not a lot of traction behind Matt Patricia... I'm not sure he is looking to leave NE.

I still like Brian Schottenheimer for our OC, it will provide some level of continuity for Luck and Brissett. Then a candidate like Matt Patricia would make sense as an HC.

rcubed
01-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Good for him if that's true. Hopefully not just PR.
if he is looking for GM level control of the roster, then he clearly didnt learn from one of his major mistakes.

omahacolt
01-04-2018, 10:28 PM
There is not a lot of traction behind Matt Patricia... I'm not sure he is looking to leave NE.

I still like Brian Schottenheimer for our OC, it will provide some level of continuity for Luck and Brissett. Then a candidate like Matt Patricia would make sense as an HC.

What part of this offense would you like to keep?

YDFL Commish
01-05-2018, 01:03 AM

Why with Schotty? Really, what has he ever done? I didn't see Brissett get significantly better throughout the season.

No thanks.

Maniac
01-05-2018, 10:03 AM
What part of this offense would you like to keep?

Just the snapping the football part.

Racehorse
01-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Just the snapping the football part.

as long as it does not include Griff Whalen

DrSpaceman
01-05-2018, 11:31 AM
The thing about Patricia in NE is, their defense really is not that good.

Yes, in points per game they are among the tops, but I really don't know how they do it, if you look at their individual stats, which are not that impressive.

They get a fair number of sacks, which helps, they are like 7th in that stat

In yardage they are near the bottom

In defensive passer rating they are middle of the pack, actually worse than the colts

Their yards per play if 5.7, again near the bottom and not much different than the Colts.

They were not great at creating turnovers.

They give up 4.7 yards per rush

They seem to benefit from good red zone D, which is great, maybe a bend but don't break mentality, and maybe just luck........opponents somehow only his 22/31 FGs against them, which seems oddly low in this day and age. I know they play in an outdoor stadium, but still, that does not affect the whole season. They were among the top ten in TDs allowed at 33.
Plus they benefit from the offense not turning the ball over much, so fewer short fields and bad situations.

If you just stripped away though Points per game stat and looked at the rest, one would not judge them to be among the best in the league.

I know PPG is really all that matters in the end, but when you are talking about moving to a new team in a new situation, the other stuff does start to matter.

Football outsiders, I know some don't like it, but have them ranked as the #31 defense this year.

DrSpaceman
01-05-2018, 11:34 AM
3rd down percentage on D as well for the pats, another important stat, again were low middle rating. 39%, 20th in the league.

Racehorse
01-05-2018, 12:45 PM
The thing about Patricia in NE is, their defense really is not that good.

Yes, in points per game they are among the tops, but I really don't know how they do it, if you look at their individual stats, which are not that impressive.

They get a fair number of sacks, which helps, they are like 7th in that stat

In yardage they are near the bottom

In defensive passer rating they are middle of the pack, actually worse than the colts

Their yards per play if 5.7, again near the bottom and not much different than the Colts.

They were not great at creating turnovers.

They give up 4.7 yards per rush

They seem to benefit from good red zone D, which is great, maybe a bend but don't break mentality, and maybe just luck........opponents somehow only his 22/31 FGs against them, which seems oddly low in this day and age. I know they play in an outdoor stadium, but still, that does not affect the whole season. They were among the top ten in TDs allowed at 33.
Plus they benefit from the offense not turning the ball over much, so fewer short fields and bad situations.

If you just stripped away though Points per game stat and looked at the rest, one would not judge them to be among the best in the league.

I know PPG is really all that matters in the end, but when you are talking about moving to a new team in a new situation, the other stuff does start to matter.

Football outsiders, I know some don't like it, but have them ranked as the #31 defense this year.

Their red zone defense is often aided by their friends in New York.

rcubed
01-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Zak Keefer

@zkeefer
One thing to know as this process starts: Chris Ballard has been preparing for this search for years. He showed Irsay an inches-thick binder during the interview last year, w/ a chapter included on what he’s looking for in a head coach and how the process should unfold.

So happy we have a real GM. I doubt grigson had something like this. It makes me wonder what irsay saw in grigson that prompted him to make that choice.

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Zak Keefer

@zkeefer
One thing to know as this process starts: Chris Ballard has been preparing for this search for years. He showed Irsay an inches-thick binder during the interview last year, w/ a chapter included on what he’s looking for in a head coach and how the process should unfold.

So happy we have a real GM. I doubt grigson had something like this. It makes me wonder what irsay saw in grigson that prompted him to make that choice.

Hopefully he picked up on what Andy Reid does right and added based on that.

Racehorse
01-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Hopefully he picked up on what Andy Reid does right and added based on that.

I haven't seen your pick for a new HC. Did you post it and I missed it?

Thorgrim
01-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Zak Keefer

@zkeefer

Grigson had some notes scrawled on the back of his tampon box.

DrSpaceman
01-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Their red zone defense is often aided by their friends in New York.

Hah......good point.

Literally 3 TDs overturned, at least, some say a 4th as well. that adds up to over a point a game over the season, 1-2 PPG, they would be close to 20 PPG average without those calls.

Gimmick
01-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Don't be delusional, guys. Irsay is going to pick the coach. All Ballard or his daughters can do is lobby. He's going to draft a RB with the first round pick too, I would bet the house on it.

Puck
01-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Don't be delusional, guys. Irsay is going to pick the coach. All Ballard or his daughters can do is lobby. He's going to draft a RB with the first round pick too, I would bet the house on it.

You spelled trailer wrong

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 03:55 PM
I haven't seen your pick for a new HC. Did you post it and I missed it?

Nope, but I guess out of names mentioned I'd want Toub. Zimmer was my first choice back in 2012, so if the Colts hire Toub, hopefully he works out that well.

FatDT
01-05-2018, 04:30 PM
I also wanted Zimmer. I see a few similarities between him and Toub. One of which is that they've been talked about for a long time as candidates but haven't gotten a shot. Obviously it worked out well for Minnesota.

I wonder with Toub what his preferences are for offensive and defensive schemes. As long as he's been around, with as many influences as he's probably had, I would have no idea what to expect or who he would hire for his coordinators.

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 05:08 PM
I also wanted Zimmer. I see a few similarities between him and Toub. One of which is that they've been talked about for a long time as candidates but haven't gotten a shot. Obviously it worked out well for Minnesota.

I wonder with Toub what his preferences are for offensive and defensive schemes. As long as he's been around, with as many influences as he's probably had, I would have no idea what to expect or who he would hire for his coordinators.

He's been with Andy Reid (in Philadelphia and KC) and Lovie Smith. So he's been exposed to traditional 4-3, Tampa 2, and 2 gap 3-4. My hope is he'll stay 3-4 if hired and get a good DC in to oversee it, like Dom Capers.

Puck
01-05-2018, 05:32 PM
He's been with Andy Reid (in Philadelphia and KC) and Lovie Smith. So he's been exposed to traditional 4-3, Tampa 2, and 2 gap 3-4. My hope is he'll stay 3-4 if hired and get a good DC in to oversee it, like Dom Capers.

According to this Ballard may have plans for a move back to 4-3

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/4/16849394/theory-ballard-knows-the-new-head-coach-big-changes-coming-for-colts-defense

omahacolt
01-05-2018, 05:38 PM

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/4/16849394/theory-ballard-knows-the-new-head-coach-big-changes-coming-for-colts-defense

it is all just a guess at this point

Racehorse
01-05-2018, 06:49 PM
I had a few problems with his premise.

1. Ballard seems like a guy to do due diligence, so picking a guy before interviews is unlikely.

2. Wilson and Hooker fell to us as BPA, so their selection means nothing.

3. He assumes it will be a defensive guy, but an offensive guy could bring a guy in to run whatever scheme the two of them feel is best.

4. The 4-3 guys also have played 3-4, and being versatile is perfect for a hybrid defense like we have been running, and would give flexibility to the new coaching staff.

5. WTF does a practice squad QB have to do with a 4-3?

YDFL Commish
01-05-2018, 07:06 PM

That has to be the stupidest football article I have ever read.

YDFL Commish
01-05-2018, 07:08 PM
4. The 4-3 guys also have played 3-4, and being versatile is perfect for a hybrid defense like we have been running, and would give flexibility to the new coaching staff.

By hybrid, do you mean Bend and Break?

Puck
01-05-2018, 07:10 PM

Pagona built a hybrid D here. Slow without much power

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 07:15 PM

What does the zone part have to do with Front 7 alignment? 34 teams can run zone coverages just as easily as 43 teams.

Puck
01-05-2018, 07:30 PM
What does the zone part have to do with Front 7 alignment? 34 teams can run zone coverages just as easily as 43 teams.

Well there are less LBers to have to replace

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Well there are less LBers to have to replace

That just shifts the problem from needing a bunch of LBs to needing a bunch of DL AND LBs.

Racehorse
01-05-2018, 08:04 PM

Yes, but mostly in the fourth quarter.

VeveJones007
01-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Colts to interview Vrabel tomorrow, per Albert Breer.

Thorgrim
01-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Colts to interview Vrabel tomorrow, per Albert Breer.

Marvin Harrison should be the special guest interviewer in this case..

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Marvin Harrison should be the special guest interviewer in this case..

And the interview should consist of one question: "Where on your face do you want the ball Marvin Harrison is going to spike to hit you?" If there's one thing about Ballard I'm not liking so far, it's his affinity for Cheats stooges.

VeveJones007
01-06-2018, 01:09 AM
Have to wonder if McDaniels is looking to jump ship out of NE right now.

Racehorse
01-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Have to wonder if McDaniels is looking to jump ship out of NE right now.

Not if the article posted yesterday is true and BB is on his way out of NE.

VeveJones007
01-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Not if the article posted yesterday is true and BB is on his way out of NE.

If BB is jumping ship because of Brady and ownership, I would think McDaniels would be considering it as well. That's where I was coming from.

Racehorse
01-06-2018, 03:50 PM
If BB is jumping ship because of Brady and ownership, I would think McDaniels would be considering it as well. That's where I was coming from.

Someone would have to replace him, and why not one of those two?

Coltsalr
01-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Tom E Curran, who’s pretty well connected up here in New England seems to be insinuating that the Colts and McDaniels might be each other’s first choice:

Josh McDaniels interviewed Wednesday night with the Indianapolis Colts and the session, I'm told, went "very well."

Now in his second stint as Patriots offensive coordinator, McDaniels has passed on head coaching opportunities repeatedly since returning to New England during the 2011 playoffs. That probably won't happen this time around.

McDaniels will go from the Colts to Friday interviews with the Bears and Giants.

In his season-and-a-half as Broncos head coach in 2009-10 to a season spent in St. Louis with the Rams before Steve Spagnuolo was fired, McDaniels got a look at mercurial nature of NFL coaching life.

Perception, reality, missteps, power struggles, wins, losses, personality conflicts, misunderstandings – have enough of any one of those and you are packing up the family and heading elsewhere.

McDaniels has enjoyed stability and success since returning. He's coached in three Super Bowls, been the winning OC in two, helped shepherd Tom Brady into his 40s and helped raise Jimmy Garoppolo.

That stability isn't assured going forward.

With Garoppolo gone, the Patriots run of excellence has an expiration date: when Tom Brady retires (or is traded, cut...who knows?...). Meanwhile, there's no post-Belichick succession plan in place.

With the Patriots likely headed to their third Super Bowl appearance in four seasons, there's virtually no way McDaniels can further raise his value.

For skeptics who'd explain away the Patriots success by crediting Brady or the system of Belichick, the way Garoppolo played in San Francisco has to reflect back on McDaniels at least a little, doesn't it?

McDaniels, who has a wife and four kids, made it clear in an excellent piece with Dan Pompei of Bleacher Report that stability is primary. A better relationship management than he showed in Denver will lead to that stability.

Pompei's piece was written early in the 2016 season and Pompei was granted a ton of access by McDaniels – presumably with Belichick and the Patriots' blessing. The story reintroduced the NFL to McDaniels and highlighted his strengths. It had a "back on the market..." feel to it.

As it turned out, McDaniels didn't take any of the jobs offered last offseason including the one in San Francisco which – given what was gifted to the Niners by the Pats – has to sting a little.

If McDaniels knew then what he knows now about Garoppolo being shipped at the trade deadline to the Niners, then maybe he would have gone.

But the Patriots didn't know that's what they were going to do with Garoppolo when McDaniels was turning down San Fran last January. From what I've gathered, the Patriots didn't know what they were going to do with Garoppolo, period.

The three teams meeting with McDaniels have unique quarterback situations. The Giants have an aging-but-still-valuable Eli Manning, who could have a renaissance under McDaniels (or be a disaster). The Bears have Mitch Trubisky, the second overall pick in April, who could mature as Jared Goff and Carson Wentz did in 2017 (or suck). The Colts have Andrew Luck, who will either return to being Andrew Luck or have a shoulder like hamburger and be just a guy.

If the job is about relationships this time around, Luck probably affords the best chance for mutual success. McDaniels is an offensive Ph.D. Luck ought to be. Trubisky is a relative neophyte. And Manning's almost done.

Further, if it's about relationships, the relationship between GM and coach has to be outstanding. McDaniels knows and likes Colts GM Chris Ballard. And Ballard acquired the Patriots "other" backup quarterback – Jacoby Brissett - at the end of training camp and spent time debriefing Brissett on what McDaniels was like.

Colts owner Jim Irsay is a wild card, but Ballard's been impressive in his approach and brings a professional feel to a team that got weird in the past few years. One more thing – McDaniels spent a lot of time speaking with Tony Dungy (see the Pompei story) and Dungy seems like he'd advocate to Irsay and Ballard on McDaniels' behalf. His voice carries weight there.

In Chicago, the GM is Ryan Pace. He's got a four-year deal but he's already trying to dig out after hiring John Fox and – in this excellent post – it's explained that there are multiple hands in the stew for the Bears.

Can't have it. Although arguing on the relationship front is the presence of Ben McDaniels, Josh's younger brother, who was hired as an offensive assistant last January.

To me, the Giants are a mess. From a toxic locker room with a diva receiver and malcontent defensive players to a string-pulling owner who helped butcher the Manning benching then pretended he had nothing to do with it. Beyond that, newly-hired GM Dave Gettleman – a true no BS guy – is going to have strong ideas about how he wants things to be. A first-time head coach might suit him better than McDaniels. And vice versa.

Bottom line is McDaniels will have options. It would be a surprise if he doesn't choose one.

https://sports.yahoo.com/curran-colts-job-may-most-204628493.html

ChoppedWood
01-06-2018, 07:34 PM
If BB is going to leave- why not just hire him instead of McDaniels?

Let Ballard handle PR and money and BB handle all the nuts and bolts shit.

Puck
01-06-2018, 07:40 PM
His end job is the Giants.... that is where he has always wanted to coach according to an article I read or heard

Racehorse
01-06-2018, 09:25 PM
If BB is going to leave- why not just hire him instead of McDaniels?

Let Ballard handle PR and money and BB handle all the nuts and bolts shit.

Because BB would never go for that

apballin
01-06-2018, 09:30 PM
After watching the Chiefs choke job fuck all they're coaches

omahacolt
01-06-2018, 10:31 PM
After watching the Chiefs choke job fuck all they're coaches

You liked pagano. Your opinion is meaningless

Coltsalr
01-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Titans reportedly were going to pursue Josh McDaniels had they lost today.

They won, however, so they should be out of that race.

ChoppedWood
01-06-2018, 11:13 PM
Because BB would never go for that

I am probably in that same camp... UNLESS.... and it is a BIG unless.

If there is a lot of rotting meat inside this little broken cooler that they keep harping on in NE, then maybe BB might have some interest in sticking a finger in the eye of Kraft and in particular Brady?

A few years ago there was a little noise about Brady having some connections to steroids- ala the Barry Bonds Balco type of thing. It all sort of evaporated and there wasn't much traction.

Consider me ever the conspiracy theorist but if the reports are to be believed, BB seems to have decided to stake some higher ground than just some good trainer dude that reached a level where he was garnering more clients from within the team and BB became jealous - he has a vault of fucking Lombardis!

I am keeping my eyes open for some emerging reports that Brady is being investigated for banned substance use. I could easily see Bill trying to get out in front of this to save his legacy. If this were to happen would I believe for one fucking second he wasn't involved- shit I would expect him to be shoving the syringe into Tom's ass personally. That being said, I also think BB would really be pissed if his legacy as the GOAT gets tarnished by a roid controversy to go along with all his other assorted skeletons.

So, if that is perhaps what is really taking place, I could see him wanting to rub it in their faces for potentially tarnishing his historical stature.

Not likely but....

Puck
01-07-2018, 02:08 PM

If there is a lot of rotting meat inside this little broken cooler that they keep harping on in NE, then maybe BB might have some interest in sticking a finger in the eye of Kraft and in particular Brady?

A few years ago there was a little noise about Brady having some connections to steroids- ala the Barry Bonds Balco type of thing. It all sort of evaporated and there wasn't much traction.

Consider me ever the conspiracy theorist but if the reports are to be believed, BB seems to have decided to stake some higher ground than just some good trainer dude that reached a level where he was garnering more clients from within the team and BB became jealous - he has a vault of fucking Lombardis!

I am keeping my eyes open for some emerging reports that Brady is being investigated for banned substance use. I could easily see Bill trying to get out in front of this to save his legacy. If this were to happen would I believe for one fucking second he wasn't involved- shit I would expect him to be shoving the syringe into Tom's ass personally. That being said, I also think BB would really be pissed if his legacy as the GOAT gets tarnished by a roid controversy to go along with all his other assorted skeletons.

So, if that is perhaps what is really taking place, I could see him wanting to rub it in their faces for potentially tarnishing his historical stature.

Not likely but....

I have been thinking along these lines as well

Dam8610
01-07-2018, 03:33 PM

Not likely but....

The only "greatest" anything of all time Belicheat or Brady are are the greatest cheaters of all time. If Brady was on roids, that only further cements that.

VeveJones007
01-07-2018, 04:47 PM
La Canfora thinks McDaniels will leave NE and will choose between Indy and Chicago.

Puck
01-07-2018, 04:53 PM
La Canfora thinks McDaniels will leave NE and will choose between Indy and Chicago.

Well. He might want to wait for an offer first. HAHA

DrSpaceman
01-07-2018, 05:49 PM
I will be shocked if BB goes anywhere. Its all just media stirring stuff up again. He and Brady just aren't that stupid.

Indiana V2
01-07-2018, 08:36 PM
I will be shocked if BB goes anywhere. Its all just media stirring stuff up again. He and Brady just aren't that stupid.

Agreed. If anything this will make them hunker down for another Super Bowl run.

Coltsalr
01-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Agreed with all the above that nothing is likely regarding Belichick to the Giants, but the Giants interview activity has suddenly become interesting...

They interview McDaniels but then go completely dark after. Now it’s being reported it’s a two horse race between the Colts/Bears...

They “couldnt” schedule Jim Schwartz this weekend after having been approved to do so and agreeing to do so...

They’re interviewing Steve Wilks (the token miniority candidate) tomorrow...

Again, I don’t THINK anything is likely to happen, but if they were theoretically waiting at the altar for Belichick, I have to imagine they’d be acting a lot like they are right now.

apballin
01-08-2018, 12:37 AM
You liked pagano. Your opinion is meaningless

And you liked Tim Jennings and Mike Doss

Dam8610
01-08-2018, 01:06 AM

Hope he likes the Bears and Trubisky then.

omahacolt
01-08-2018, 08:40 AM
And you liked Tim Jennings and Mike Doss

Both solid players

Coltsalr
01-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Sounds like Saturday's game was the death knell for Nagy's head coaching chances:

I reached out to several current and former NFL execs – including many who have been involved in coaching searches – and they all agreed that the Chiefs' debacle Saturday night is a massive setback for their coordinator, Matt Nagy. The young play caller was part of blowing an 18-point lead at home to a middling opponent with no passing game of its own, and systematically ignoring the league's leading rusher in the process. "You can't hire him now," one grizzled front office exec said. "No way." Nagy had meetings with the Bears and Colts this weekend. My money in Chicago is on a different young offensive coach, John DeFilippo, the Eagles' quarterbacks coach, who is the kind of guy who won't give newly empowered general manager Ryan Pace too much pushback. They are all about finding their guy to get the best out of Mitch Trubisky. Pace should try to move the moon and the stars to keep Vic Fangio as his defensive coordinator.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/coach-searches-come-into-focus-as-teams-wait-on-patriots-panthers-more-notes/

La Canfora also says in that article that he's betting on McDaniels being down to the Bears/Colts and says in the above blurb that he sees DeFilippo going to the Bears, so that would seem to leave...

FatDT
01-08-2018, 10:26 AM
I don't know how you can pin so much of that on Nagy. If he was even calling the 2nd half offense, he had zero control over most of the shit that went wrong for KC.

YDFL Commish
01-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Sounds like Saturday's game was the death knell for Nagy's head coaching chances:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/coach-searches-come-into-focus-as-teams-wait-on-patriots-panthers-more-notes/

La Canfora also says in that article that he's betting on McDaniels being down to the Bears/Colts and says in the above blurb that he sees DeFilippo going to the Bears, so that would seem to leave...

What if, the rumors are true that Andy Reid took over the play calling duties in the 2nd half?

Coltsalr
01-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Bears hire Nagy:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-to-name-matt-nagy-new-head-coach/amp/

Coltsalr
01-08-2018, 01:06 PM
What if, the rumors are true that Andy Reid took over the play calling duties in the 2nd half?

That’s apparently what the Bears must believe.

rcubed
01-08-2018, 02:40 PM
that was quick.

FatDT
01-08-2018, 03:03 PM
McDaniels, Toub, or Wilks.

Apparently Wilks and Ballard were in Chicago together from 06-08 when Wilks was the DB coach and Ballard was a scout. Ballard's coaching background is as a WR and DB coach so it's likely their paths crossed.

According to SI (https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/14/steve-wilks-carolina-panthers-defense) Wilks is likely to bring Carolina DL coach Eric Washington with him to be DC.

Thorgrim
01-08-2018, 03:41 PM
McDaniels, Toub, or Wilks.

Apparently Wilks and Ballard were in Chicago together from 06-08 when Wilks was the DB coach and Ballard was a scout. Ballard's coaching background is as a WR and DB coach so it's likely their paths crossed.

According to SI (https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/14/steve-wilks-carolina-panthers-defense) Wilks is likely to bring Carolina DL coach Eric Washington with him to be DC.

If Wilks if hired the drafting of Chubb is a forgone conclusion.

FatDT
01-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Does not seem likely the Colts can wait til Thursday. If they're serious about Wilks I expect the interview will happen sooner.

DrSpaceman
01-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Outside the stupid decision to start a rookie for one game when they were still in a playoff race, McDermott in Buffalo did pretty well this year. He also came from Carolina's defensive staff, like Wilks.

Gimmick
01-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Why would anyone want Wilks? His defense gave up over 25 points per game and was near the bottom of the league last year statistically. This year they gave up about 23 points per game (middle of the pack) after Week 2 and gave up 31 in a playoff game.

It would be like Pagano 2.0 minus the impulsive button clicking, maybe.

Gimmick
01-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Jim Harbaugh would be an excellent choice. I would like to see Andrew Luck team up with someone new, get him out of his comfort zone and push him, so that's a negative against Harbaugh (and David Shaw who is also qualified) but damn Jim Harbaugh as Colts coach makes too much sense.

If we're talking about NFL hires than Frank Reich would be the #1 guy to grab.

Josh McDaniels is also qualified and a great selection but **** the cheaters and that guy.

This Wilks guy would be a WTF are they even doing hire.

Thorgrim
01-08-2018, 06:43 PM
I've got a funny feeling it's gonna be Toub. Probably has been all along with some mutual understanding thus no rush to hire.

VeveJones007
01-08-2018, 08:59 PM
La Canfora tweets that Wilks could bring in John DeFilippo or Norv Turner as OC if he gets a HC spot.

Indiana V2
01-08-2018, 09:21 PM
La Canfora tweets that Wilks could bring in John DeFilippo or Norv Turner as OC if he gets a HC spot.

Interesting...

Coltsalr
01-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Jim Harbaugh would be an excellent choice. I would like to see Andrew Luck team up with someone new, get him out of his comfort zone and push him, so that's a negative against Harbaugh (and David Shaw who is also qualified) but damn Jim Harbaugh as Colts coach makes too much sense.

If we're talking about NFL hires than Frank Reich would be the #1 guy to grab.

Josh McDaniels is also qualified and a great selection but **** the cheaters and that guy.

This Wilks guy would be a WTF are they even doing hire.

If Harbaugh were leaving we would’ve heard about it by now.

Teams obviously put out feelers to him. It appears he shot them all down totally.

rcubed
01-08-2018, 10:06 PM
I've got a funny feeling it's gonna be Toub. Probably has been all along with some mutual understanding thus no rush to hire.
This is also what i have thought for a while. Due diligence in the rest of the interviews.

Racehorse
01-08-2018, 10:18 PM
This is also what i have thought for a while. Due diligence in the rest of the interviews.

I think it will be Toub or McDaniels. There could be something surprising arise, but I would venture that one of those two is the man.

YDFL Commish
01-08-2018, 10:57 PM

No thx to Norv.

Coltsalr
01-09-2018, 07:04 AM
@GreggDoyelStar
Whatever it is, however big or small, the ONLY chance the Colts had at hiring Saban was for Alabama to win. Well, that’s taken care of. Now it’s time to throw money at him and see if he’s willing to catch it.

@ProFootballTalk
If I’m Jim Irsay, I make out a check to Nick Saban, sign it, and let him put in any amount he wants.

Racehorse
01-09-2018, 07:55 AM
@GreggDoyelStar
Whatever it is, however big or small, the ONLY chance the Colts had at hiring Saban was for Alabama to win. Well, that’s taken care of. Now it’s time to throw money at him and see if he’s willing to catch it.

@ProFootballTalk
If I’m Jim Irsay, I make out a check to Nick Saban, sign it, and let him put in any amount he wants.

People keep beating that drum, but it is no better than Dam beating the "Pagano doesn't suck" drum.

Maniac
01-09-2018, 09:41 AM
@GreggDoyelStar

@ProFootballTalk

I would hope that Ballard is the one making the call, not Irsay just going rogue and trying to sign a coach.

FatDT
01-09-2018, 10:23 AM
I would hope that Ballard is the one making the call, not Irsay just going rogue and trying to sign a coach.

It's Florio, he doesn't know anything.

Oldcolt
01-09-2018, 11:52 AM
I don't want McDaniels. I don't buy for a minute that because you led a Brady qbed team to great offensive height you would do the same here. Being the head coach is much more about being able to hire the right assistants, setting the correct tone and managing men. McDaniels issues in Denver were not X and O's. It was his inability to manage relationships with some players (admittedly Culter appears to be an ass, but there are plenty of good players that are asses, you half to be able to manage them), something I think is difficult to teach. My choices (mostly ignorant because I've never met any of the candidates) would be Taub or Vrabel. To me they both seem like leaders of men, something this team has not had in ages. They seem like the sort of men that if Irsay said you need to fire you assistant coaches to keep your job would tell him to take a hike. At least that's what I want in our next coach.

DrSpaceman
01-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Saban is not leaving Alabama.

That is much less likely than Harbaugh leaving Michigan.

Butter
01-09-2018, 12:34 PM
It's Florio, he doesn't know anything.

He is pretty much the more successful and national version of Brad Wells.

FatDT
01-09-2018, 12:40 PM
He is pretty much the more successful and national version of Brad Wells.

That's a good comparison. Though I think Wells would be 10x as insufferable if he had that platform. But then that is why he would never get that platform.

rcubed
01-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Its being said we were all in in nagy but he chose the bears.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/9/16867530/colts-were-reportedly-all-in-on-nagy-but-he-thought-bears-were-better-situation

Coltsalr
01-09-2018, 01:43 PM

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/9/16867530/colts-were-reportedly-all-in-on-nagy-but-he-thought-bears-were-better-situation

This is disconcerting for a whole bunch of reasons.

Dam8610
01-09-2018, 02:12 PM
This is disconcerting for a whole bunch of reasons.

Why is Nagy being a poor talent evaluator and decision maker disconcerting? He's the Bears' problem now.

FatDT
01-09-2018, 02:19 PM

I don't buy it. Kaplan is just a local Chicago sports guy, he isn't connected enough to know anybody that would have any idea if the Colts were "all in on hiring Matt Nagy".

Maniac
01-09-2018, 02:20 PM

As someone said in the comments, if the Colts were all-in on Nagy, they wouldn't have several other interviews scheduled still. Sounds like BS.

VeveJones007
01-09-2018, 02:23 PM
As someone said in the comments, if the Colts were all-in on Nagy, they wouldn't have several other interviews scheduled still. Sounds like BS.

Something like that can easily be lost in translation. It could have been something innocuous like "the Colts liked what they heard from Nagy" or "Nagy was high on their list."

Though, I'm not sure I buy that point from the commenter. I believe the Colts only had one more scheduled interview after Nagy.

rcubed
01-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Something like that can easily be lost in translation. It could have been something innocuous like "the Colts liked what they heard from Nagy" or "Nagy was high on their list."

Though, I'm not sure I buy that point from the commenter. I believe the Colts only had one more scheduled interview after Nagy.
I tend to think what FatDT said, local guy trying to drum shit up.

Coltsalr
01-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Why is Nagy being a poor talent evaluator and decision maker disconcerting? He's the Bears' problem now.

If we were “all-in” on a poor talent evaluator and decision-maker that doesn’t bode well for our search.

We just fired a coach that was a poor talent evaluator and decision-maker.

Dam8610
01-09-2018, 04:41 PM
If we were “all-in” on a poor talent evaluator and decision-maker that doesn’t bode well for our search.

We just fired a coach that was a poor talent evaluator and decision-maker.

I don't think the report is accurate, either.

DrSpaceman
01-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Nagy may have said that about the Bears, but what else is he going to say after being hired by the Bears?

"Yes I liked the Colts position better but didn't want to hold out until they were done interviewing and I had an offer, so I just settled on the Bears"

I wouldn't put much stock into it all. Who knows if he actually said that or the actual source.

I'd take a 75% Luck over a healthy Tribusky for the next 10 years

Heck for that matter, I would take Brissett over trubisky for the next decade. He outperformed him this past season, basically both rookies in terms of starting. Put an OL in front of him and with a competent OC and system in place, he would be OK, as good as what Trubisky has shown at least

1965southpaw
01-09-2018, 07:54 PM
I tend to think what FatDT said, local guy trying to drum shit up.

Agreed. JMV and Rick Venturi are characterizing this as Chicago trying to make themselves feel better about the selection since KC just shit the bed in the second half of the wildcard game. The only candidates they are hearing Ballard MAY be "all in" on are Taub and Daniels. Ballard seems to be a man of his word and is keeping a very tight lid on leeks and it seems to really bother JMV that he's not getting anything of substance from his "sources".

Luck4Reich
01-09-2018, 08:22 PM

Everyone should have realized this was horse shit as soon as it was posted lol.

Gimmick
01-09-2018, 08:37 PM
Yeah that **** is dumb. Who would ever fall for that?

Hopefully they are just waiting for Philly to lose this weekend so they can get Reich.

YDFL Commish
01-09-2018, 10:05 PM
I'm mildly surprised that so few college coaches, not named Saban, Harbaugh and Shaw are getting any attention.

I'm talking about guys like James Franklin, Mike Leach, Matt Campbell and Chris Peterson.

The reason I say that, is that under the current CBA, the NFL is going to need to run more of the college concepts on offense. The systems and play calls are easier to learn, and most rookies and young players have already been trained in them.

Dewey 5
01-09-2018, 11:10 PM
Yeah that **** is dumb. Who would ever fall for that?

Hopefully they are just waiting for Philly to lose this weekend so they can get Reich.

If Ballard wanted to interview Reich he would have done it last week when the Eagles had a bye.

VeveJones007
01-09-2018, 11:30 PM
I'm mildly surprised that so few college coaches, not named Saban, Harbaugh and Shaw are getting any attention.

I'm talking about guys like James Franklin, Mike Leach, Matt Campbell and Chris Peterson.

The reason I say that, is that under the current CBA, the NFL is going to need to run more of the college concepts on offense. The systems and play calls are easier to learn, and most rookies and young players have already been trained in them.

They already are integrating more college concepts, particularly run-pass options; however, the rule differences like ineligible receivers downfield make it a harder conversion than to you would think on the surface.

VeveJones007
01-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Per Kravitz:

“The Colts did not offer Matt Nagy, the Chicago Bears new coach, the Colts head coaching job. There was interest but no offer was made, per a source with knowledge of the process.“

But adds:

“Kap was right. The Colts were very interested in Nagy. He never said there was a job offer. Said they were “all in” on him, which is accurate.”

YDFL Commish
01-09-2018, 11:45 PM
They already are integrating more college concepts, particularly run-pass options; however, the rule differences like ineligible receivers downfield make it a harder conversion than to you would think on the surface.

You are correct. But the dinosaurs like Fisher and Pagano are stuck in the past.
If the next HC comes in here and says we're going to run the ball and stop the run, I'm going to puke.

Look it's going to take a HC that embraces progressive concepts to get this team to a place where It say wants it to be.

DrSpaceman
01-09-2018, 11:47 PM
I interpret "all in" to mean they knew he was the guy and wanted him, and if that's the case, by definition, they would have made an offer.

So something doesn't add up there.

Gimmick
01-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Nagy isn't ready anyway. Bears are going to suck.

Gimmick
01-09-2018, 11:48 PM
I really get the feeling the Colts are a headless organization right now. Probably not going to change as long as Irsay is running it.

VeveJones007
01-10-2018, 12:05 AM
Hub Arkush from PFW says that his sources indicate that it’ll be McDaniels in Indy.

Gimmick
01-10-2018, 12:06 AM
Hub Arkush from PFW says that his sources indicate that it’ll be McDaniels in Indy.

McDaniels is a good pick but damnit fuckit I hate the cheaters.

Discflinger
01-10-2018, 12:40 AM
Ballard seems to be a man of his word and is keeping a very tight lid on leeks and it seems to really bother JMV that he's not getting anything of substance from his "sources".

Keeping a tight lid on the leeks is essential in cooking. Bravo, Ballard! How's that for substance, JMV?

1965southpaw
01-10-2018, 12:59 AM
Keeping a tight lid on the leeks is essential in cooking. Bravo, Ballard! How's that for substance, JMV?

Lol....I ate a lot of leeks when I lived in England many moons ago.....as for leaks well I for one am not unhappy he's running a tighter ship.

FatDT
01-10-2018, 06:38 AM

Was that a recent tweet?

Pez
01-10-2018, 07:28 AM
The perceived delay in news points toward their candidate being among the teams still in the playoffs, which suggests McDaniels.

albany ed
01-10-2018, 07:47 AM
I interpret "all in" to mean they knew he was the guy and wanted him, and if that's the case, by definition, they would have made an offer.

So something doesn't add up there.

Wasn't the origin of this story from a Chicago sportswriter? One way to put a good spin on the hiring by the Bears, would be to say that the Colts were all in and that Nagy chose the Bears as the better prospect.

Racehorse
01-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Wasn't the origin of this story from a Chicago sportswriter? One way to put a good spin on the hiring by the Bears, would be to say that the Colts were all in and that Nagy chose the Bears as the better prospect.

If Nagy actually said that, then he obviously isn't HC material.

VeveJones007
01-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Was that a recent tweet?

He said it on 670am yesterday.

dwilli57
01-10-2018, 09:55 AM
McDaniels is a good pick but damnit fuckit I hate the cheaters.I agree...just hope it'd be more like a Vintieri than the production they got from a Duane Allen.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Oldcolt
01-10-2018, 11:27 AM
I'll be happy, at least at first, with anybody but Pagano. I like the fact that the Colts have been very quiet in their search. Ballard has even managed to keep Irsay quiet. If Irsay is really letting Ballard run this thing (and is seems he is) it bodes well for us Colt fans.

HoosierinFL
01-10-2018, 04:21 PM
So Kris Richard has been fired by Seattle. We may not have picked him up as HC, but I wonder if he'd make a good DC for us now? I didn't think he'd make a lateral move but now that Seattle has fired him, he'll be looking.
This is esp interesting with the speculation that Ballard wants to run a 4-3 with cover-3 zone ala what Seattle has been doing.

Also I agree with a prev post - the fact that we have no hiring yet suggests that Ballard's candidate is still on a playoff team

FatDT
01-10-2018, 04:41 PM
So Kris Richard has been fired by Seattle. We may not have picked him up as HC, but I wonder if he'd make a good DC for us now? I didn't think he'd make a lateral move but now that Seattle has fired him, he'll be looking.
This is esp interesting with the speculation that Ballard wants to run a 4-3 with cover-3 zone ala what Seattle has been doing.

Also I agree with a prev post - the fact that we have no hiring yet suggests that Ballard's candidate is still on a playoff team

The flip side to this idea is that Richard underwhelmed while overseeing one of the best defenses of the last decade. I know there are injuries. But he had plenty of stars still healthy but especially at home Seattle played below their standard. And with the way two veterans in Earl Thomas and Bobby Wagner were publicly bitching at each other I'm not convinced he lead the defense well or was respected.

And then there's the fact that he was fired. I don't see a compelling reason to want him here unless it's as a DB coach. From an outside perspective it looks like he wasn't ready to be a DC and he needs to pay some more dues before getting another chance.

rcubed
01-10-2018, 04:54 PM

I wonder if its already been agreed upon in principle with mcdaniels

rcubed
01-10-2018, 05:24 PM
according to this we might have interviewed someone on monday that hasnt been reported on.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/10/16874594/who-is-the-secret-colts-coaching-candidate

VeveJones007
01-10-2018, 06:37 PM
according to this we might have interviewed someone on monday that hasnt been reported on.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/10/16874594/who-is-the-secret-colts-coaching-candidate

Toub is the most likely scenario, but could be anyone.

1965southpaw
01-10-2018, 07:11 PM

Kravitz is on JMV right now and he said that his information is that the Colts haven't even asked permission yet to interview Toub. That said, he quickly went on to say that the colts organization are on information lockdown and he may have in fact interviewed and the media just don't know about it. In other news he said he's hearing that McDaniels is cooling down on his interest in the colts based on continued questions on Luck's health.

Coltsalr
01-10-2018, 07:28 PM

I would think they would’ve filed the interview request with the Chiefs and that would’ve been leaked.

I’m not sure why they’d hide an interview with Toub.

Coltsalr
01-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Uh, whoever had the Baylor head coach as your pick for the mystery interview candidate, come forward and collect your prize:

SOURCES: Baylor coach Matt Rhule interviewed for the Indianapolis Colts head coaching vacancy earlier this week. Rhule, who completed his first season with the Bears in November, spent the 2012 season as the New York Giants offensive line coach.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40015230-4

This is just bizarre. Not even the Browns have to reach so low for a sub 500 college coach. Just what the fuck is going on here?

YDFL Commish
01-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Uh, whoever had the Baylor head coach as your pick for the mystery interview candidate, come forward and collect your prize:

SOURCES: Baylor coach Matt Rhule interviewed for the Indianapolis Colts head coaching vacancy earlier this week. Rhule, who completed his first season with the Bears in November, spent the 2012 season as the New York Giants offensive line coach.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40015230-4

This is just bizarre. Not even the Browns have to reach so low for a sub 500 college coach. Just what the fuck is going on here?

Rhule is a good coach. He had Temple playing at a high level before he left.

Baylor was in a a hell of a bad situation after the Art Briles fiasco.

FatDT
01-10-2018, 08:34 PM
No thanks on the college coach.

Hoopsdoc
01-10-2018, 08:54 PM

I’ve been half expecting a dark horse hire. Someone like this dude who I’ve never heard of.

As others have mentioned, it is encouraging that there have been no leaks. Seems like they’re doing this right.

Butter
01-10-2018, 08:59 PM
As others have mentioned, it is encouraging that there have been no leaks. Seems like they’re doing this right.

I agree this shows Ballard is in control of his house.

GoBigBlue88
01-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Look, I'm not going to be "out" if anyone is hired outside of Pagano being re-hired, basically. And I think most people don't really know shit about what coaches can or can't do anyway.

But I have to admit, I would be discouraged if Rhule was the guy.

Hoopsdoc
01-10-2018, 09:18 PM
I agree this shows Ballard is in control of his house.

My guess is he acquired the mother of all stashes to keep Jimmy occupied while he does his job.

Dewey 5
01-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Kravitz is on JMV right now and he said that his information is that the Colts haven't even asked permission yet to interview Toub. That said, he quickly went on to say that the colts organization are on information lockdown and he may have in fact interviewed and the media just don't know about it. In other news he said he's hearing that McDaniels is cooling down on his interest in the colts based on continued questions on Luck's health.

The news about McDaniels potentially backing out is depressing.

IndyNorm
01-10-2018, 11:55 PM

When you consider his previous HC experience along with the 100% non-success rate of Belicheat assistants we're probably better off without him, but it definitely is concerning if it's b/c of Luck's health. Pure speculation but maybe that was what made Nagy "uncomfortable" with the Colts interview if he was getting the run around on Luck's situation.

sherck
01-10-2018, 11:57 PM

Its not really news. News is something that can be verified. This is one guy's "hot take" on a situation that he probably has little to no insight into.

As we would say in the intelligence community. a single source does not an analysis make.

Walk Worthy,

Puck
01-10-2018, 11:58 PM
When you consider his previous HC experience along with the 100% non-success rate of Belicheat assistants we're probably better off without him, but it definitely is concerning if it's b/c of Luck's health. Pure speculation but maybe that was what made Nagy "uncomfortable" with the Colts interview if he was getting the run around on Luck's situation.

I think people forget about Bill Obrien. I'd take him as HC
If Watson hadn't gotten hurt they may have competed for the 1-2 seed this yr

1965southpaw
01-11-2018, 12:48 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/could-josh-mcdaniels-stay-patriots-171221395.html

FatDT
01-11-2018, 01:48 AM
Bunch of speculative BS.

rcubed
01-11-2018, 02:14 AM

Could just be Ballard feeling him out for a possible spot other than HC. Position coach maybe.

Gimmick
01-11-2018, 02:58 AM
There's a decent chance Luck is done, period. I'm not saying it's a definite, but prepare yourself for the possibility. I think it's 50/50 at this point.

Irsay, Grigson, and Pagano really ****ed up by not protecting the franchise.

DrSpaceman
01-11-2018, 09:10 AM
There's a decent chance Luck is done, period. I'm not saying it's a definite, but prepare yourself for the possibility. I think it's 50/50 at this point.

Irsay, Grigson, and Pagano really ****ed up by not protecting the franchise.

Luck is not done.

The worst that happens is he has some lingering pain and plays this year with some lingering soreness and is not 100%. And perhaps he has to continue to play with a somewhat damaged shoulder and learns to compensate.

I would be shocked if he at least does not try to play again though.

Not that they did not screw it all up, they did, but it was less than 50% that Luck does not play again. I'd put it at 1-5%.

IndyNorm
01-11-2018, 09:48 AM
I think people forget about Bill Obrien. I'd take him as HC
If Watson hadn't gotten hurt they may have competed for the 1-2 seed this yr

My comment was including O'Brien since his NFL record is below .500 and Houston was thinking about moving on at the end of the season. Good point on Watson. Not sure if they'd be a top playoff seed, but I'm sure O'Brien would be slightly above .500 than below. If I had to hire a Belicheat assistant and he was available I would definitely go with him.

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Its not really news. News is something that can be verified. This is one guy's "hot take" on a situation that he probably has little to no insight into.

As we would say in the intelligence community. a single source does not an analysis make.

Walk Worthy,

While I agree that true news has to be verifiable, it's hardly a "hot take" if Kravitz has a source giving him this info. I didn't hear the interview, but that's the way it read to me.

Racehorse
01-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Luck is not done.

The worst that happens is he has some lingering pain and plays this year with some lingering soreness and is not 100%. And perhaps he has to continue to play with a somewhat damaged shoulder and learns to compensate.

Not that they did not screw it all up, they did, but it was less than 50% that Luck does not play again. I'd put it at 1-5%.

Exactly! A player has to go through practices and games to fully trust his body again. Right now, he is not able to do so. Once he gets his PT done and all, he will be back on track. After that, it is up to the four inches between the ears. Irsay alluded to that being the biggest issue. It wouldn't surprise me if that is some of what he was doing in Europe to rehab those four inches as well as the rest.

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Per Rap:

“#Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks has no plans to interview with the #Colts for their HC job at this time, as they appear more focused on offensive candidates.”

Gimmick
01-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Luck is not done.

I didn't mean he would quit or not play again. I mean there is a 50/50 chance he's washed up. He could come back and throw like Chad Pennington.

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Per Rap:

“#Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks has no plans to interview with the #Colts for their HC job at this time, as they appear more focused on offensive candidates.”

To me, this reads as Wilks backing out of the interview because he isn’t interested.

Coltsalr
01-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Was he our Rooney Rule candidate?

Or did we already interview Kris Richard?

Coltsalr
01-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Per Rap:

While I’m happy over this as I’ve long said I want a guy who’s offense-first, Matt Rhule is an offensive guy, so let’s just say I’m hoping it’s not him.

Hoping that this is all just them killing time while they wait at the altar for McDaniels.

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 09:24 PM
While I’m happy over this as I’ve long said I want a guy who’s offense-first, Matt Rhule is an offensive guy, so let’s just say I’m hoping it’s not him.

Hoping that this is all just them killing time while they wait at the altar for McDaniels.

Richard was last Friday.

Dam8610
01-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Better Rhule than McDaniels.

Coltsalr
01-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Better Rhule than McDaniels.

You would take Pagano over McDaniels.

Dam8610
01-11-2018, 10:05 PM
You would take Pagano over McDaniels.

I'd take omahacolt over McDaniels, because I've never seen anyone destroy a franchise so quickly or spectacularly as McDaniels did in Denver, and someone like that is the absolute last thing this franchise needs right now.

Butter
01-11-2018, 11:10 PM
My guess is he acquired the mother of all stashes to keep Jimmy occupied while he does his job.

Ya know I find this narrative amusing, but really Irsay is a good owner. He has personal demons, Hoosier love to make him some monster for. I am old enough to have lived through his father's ownership of worthlessness, I without a doubt in my heart know that Jim wants a winning franchise. Jim certainly has his faults, but I do believe he wants the Colts to win.

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Again per Rap:

“#Baylor coach Matt Rhule, following an interview with the #Colts, has informed the team that he elected to remain with his school, source said. ... Yes, he has rhuled Indy out.”

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 11:27 PM
This is alarming if a guy like Rhule is telling the Colts no.

YDFL Commish
01-11-2018, 11:33 PM

He felt more comfortable with the Bears. Hell, we lost out to the Bears twice in one week.

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 11:34 PM
PFW is still saying that it’ll be McDaniels.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/01/09/bill-belichick-will-be-back-with-new-england-patriots-but-will-his-coordinators/adlzjpm/

On the other hand we’re hearing that offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is convinced he’s ready to leave the nest again and his preferred destination is Indianapolis.

While Colts GM Chris Ballard did interview Matt Nagy, who he worked closely with in Kansas City and is reported to be interested in Dave Toub as well, it's possible that his focus on McDaniels kept him from really going toe-to-toe with Bears boss Ryan Pace over Nagy.

Obviously a healthy Andrew Luck would make the Colts job a priority consideration for a top offensive mind, but will he be healthy?

We’re hearing McDaniels is preparing to bet that he will be.

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 11:36 PM
He felt more comfortable with the Bears. Hell, we lost out to the Bears twice in one week.

Perhaps the Colts are telling candidates that they have an agreement in place with McDaniels. That would explain why Rhule and Wilks are getting out in front. It allows Wilks to focus on his other interviews and Rhule to save face with recruits.

Indiana V2
01-11-2018, 11:39 PM
PFW is still saying that it’ll be McDaniels.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/01/09/bill-belichick-will-be-back-with-new-england-patriots-but-will-his-coordinators/adlzjpm/
As long as McDaniels has learned from his prior mistakes, then I'm fine with him...I mean he's gotta be better than Pagano...right?

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 11:43 PM
As long as McDaniels has learned from his prior mistakes, then I'm fine with him...I mean he's gotta be better than Pagano...right?

The guy pushed out Cutler and Marshall and drafted Tebow. He wouldn’t have the power to do anything like that here.

Dewey 5
01-11-2018, 11:57 PM

His contract at Baylor is seven years $28 million. I guarantee there is a large buyout included in that deal that a college or NFL team would be responsible for. Drawing interest & interviewing with an NFL gets his name out there & more credibility with recruits. He was never going to be our next coach.

VeveJones007
01-12-2018, 12:02 AM
His contract at Baylor is seven years $28 million. I guarantee there is a large buyout included in that deal that a college or NFL team would be responsible for. Drawing interest & interviewing with an NFL gets his name out there & more credibility with recruits. He was never going to be our next coach.

Probably fair and just Ballard doing his due diligence.

Dam8610
01-12-2018, 01:39 AM

He may be better than Hue Jackson...maybe. Ballard hiring him would be the Trent Richardson trade moment of this regime for me.

Racehorse
01-12-2018, 07:52 AM
I'd take omahacolt over McDaniels, because I've never seen anyone destroy a franchise so quickly or spectacularly as McDaniels did in Denver, and someone like that is the absolute last thing this franchise needs right now.

HAHAHA I thought the coach didn't matter.

Dam8610
01-12-2018, 09:46 AM
HAHAHA I thought the coach didn't matter.

I know you completely failed to grasp my argument. Analogously, if you had a machine that had a part that was necessary to function, and this part functioned more or less the same 98 out of 100 times, had a ridiculously long life and helped performance 1 out of 100 times, and exploded and completely destroyed it 1 out of 100 times, there would be a ridiculously low chance of it mattering either way, yet if you were given a part by someone whose machine was destroyed and looked like it had exploded, you probably wouldn't use the part in that case.

omahacolt
01-12-2018, 10:55 AM
I know you completely failed to grasp my argument. Analogously, if you had a machine that had a part that was necessary to function, and this part functioned more or less the same 98 out of 100 times, had a ridiculously long life and helped performance 1 out of 100 times, and exploded and completely destroyed it 1 out of 100 times, there would be a ridiculously low chance of it mattering either way, yet if you were given a part by someone whose machine was destroyed and looked like it had exploded, you probably wouldn't use the part in that case.

You are stupid

Racehorse
01-12-2018, 11:10 AM
You are extremely stupid

fify

DrSpaceman
01-12-2018, 11:14 AM

If you repeatedly put TJ Green in as a different part and thinking it will work SOMEWHERE, and it keeps exploding, what would you think then?

Racehorse
01-12-2018, 11:38 AM
If you repeatedly put TJ Green in as a different part and thinking it will work SOMEWHERE, and it keeps exploding, what would you think then?

Bad engineer/repairman/coach!

Dam8610
01-12-2018, 01:46 PM
i am extremely stupid

me too

fify

apballin
01-12-2018, 02:07 PM

When everyone else is hurt (all youre tools are broken) and you've got 1 guy willing to jump in and play anywhere you play that motherfucker

Racehorse
01-12-2018, 02:10 PM
When everyone else is hurt (all youre tools are broken) and you've got 1 guy willing to jump in and play anywhere you play that motherfucker

Does it really take you 21 minutes to log out and back in under another name?

apballin
01-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Give it up not the same person fuckface

YDFL Commish
01-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Dial up/Moms basement.

Besides, he's arguing with himself in another thread.

apballin
01-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Look I don't give a fuck,

give me a healthy Luck and we are a playoff team no matter the fucking coach

Bring back Manusky he gave good interviews that's the main thing coaches are good for now, interviews and being called a genius or a dumbass if they're 4th down gamble works or doesnt

1965southpaw
01-12-2018, 02:31 PM
I love to laugh and you guys really make me laugh with your bickering, so Thank You!!! You should know, though, I have a mental image of you as 10 year old little boys arguing on a playground trying to argue who's more right and getting more absurd by the minute........:p:D

Coltsalr
01-12-2018, 02:34 PM

That’s surprisingly quick for someone dumb enough to believe that Pagano is a good coach.

Plus, I think they’re still using dial-up at the Down’s Syndrome Group Home.

apballin
01-12-2018, 02:37 PM
I don't kno Dam but I respect his views, we both have a players view

All/ most of you here mainly omaha you motherfuckers have an owners view

Racehorse
01-12-2018, 03:25 PM
I don't kno Dam but I respect his views, we both have a players view

All/ most of you here mainly omaha you motherfuckers have an owners view

I know a girl who has three personalities. I am told that two of them know each other, but one has no idea that the other three exist.

smitty46953
01-12-2018, 04:40 PM
I love to laugh and you guys really make me laugh with your bickering, so Thank You!!! You should know, though, I have a mental image of you as 10 year old little boys arguing on a playground trying to argue who's more right and getting more absurd by the minute........:p:D

Are you curious everyone's mental image of you? :cool:

1965southpaw
01-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Are you curious everyone's mental image of you? :cool:

Yes, I'd love to know!!!!! I promise to not be offended so be honest. :eek::confused:

rcubed
01-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Yes, I'd love to know!!!!! I promise to not be offended so be honest. :eek::confused:
In my head...
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pjMAAOSw~e5ZTRrD/s-l300.jpg

probably closer to reality...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/02/b2/5c/02b25c8049ca0660eb5a9f8d2068b421--trailer-trash-single-moms.jpg

omahacolt
01-12-2018, 06:23 PM
In my head...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/02/b2/5c/02b25c8049ca0660eb5a9f8d2068b421--trailer-trash-single-moms.jpg

This is probably going to be the post of the year. Or actually 2nd only to the official firing of pagano post.

3rd is the post that took a flamethrower to dams hc nonsense that made him leave for a month or two

1965southpaw
01-12-2018, 06:49 PM
In my head...

lol, yes, no, errr maybe?? Part of the fun of this medium is we can all wear whatever mask we want and nobody will be the wiser but I can categorically state that I resemble parts of both women and alot of neither. You, however, have made it tough for me to keep my 10 y/o little boy view of you in place without it getting really icky. Thanks. :cool::eek:

Coltsalr
01-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Ted Bishop, evidently a local Indiana PGA golfer posted this:

@JMV1070 Colts have already offered McDaniels the job. He's contacted his coaches. Rest of interviews are smoke screens known by both parties. #relax

JMV responded with this:
@JMV1070
Was spun slightly different Monday, but close is the word today for sure. I believe it.

omahacolt
01-12-2018, 08:05 PM

@JMV1070 Colts have already offered McDaniels the job. He's contacted his coaches. Rest of interviews are smoke screens known by both parties. #relax

JMV responded with this:
@JMV1070
Was spun slightly different Monday, but close is the word today for sure. I believe it.

It does make sense.

I don't like it though. Not a fan of McDaniels

Coltsalr
01-12-2018, 08:46 PM
It does make sense.

I don't like it though. Not a fan of McDaniels

Then you agree with Dam.

Think about that.

DrSpaceman
01-12-2018, 10:40 PM

Everyone else was hurt week one when Green started at corner?

1965southpaw
01-12-2018, 11:27 PM

JMV responded with this:
@JMV1070

Slightly different JMV? you had Kravitz on your show saying that McDaniels was "cooling off" on the colts. Perhaps the colts were using him as their puppet or perhaps Ballard is that good and none of them can get a real read on the situation.

VeveJones007
01-12-2018, 11:33 PM

JMV responded with this:
@JMV1070

This is in line with what Hub Arkush is hearing from his sources and would make sense of Wilks backing out of his interview.

omahacolt
01-12-2018, 11:36 PM
Then you agree with Dam.

Think about that.

Yeah. We share a dislike for patriots coaches. I don't see how that is surprising. Not to mention the dude just seems like a giant douchebag.

But we know you would love the hire. Of course you would

omahacolt
01-12-2018, 11:39 PM

No

Apballin is a fucking loser like dam that just can't admit they are wrong. Tiny dicks, daddy didn't love them enough or they are just fat assholes that think being right on the internet is an accomplishment.

IndyNorm
01-13-2018, 12:50 AM
Then you agree with Dam.

Think about that.

IMHO having Dam think hiring him is a bad idea is the best thing going for McDaniels :D

omahacolt
01-13-2018, 07:01 AM
IMHO having Dam think hiring him is a bad idea is the best thing going for McDaniels :D

Dam doesn't think head coaches do anything so not sure why he cares

Coltsalr
01-13-2018, 10:20 AM
https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905745/article/breaking-down-cardinals-colts-giants-lions-coaching-searches?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3danalysis%3bteam%3dind%3bteam %3darz%3bteam%3dnyg%3bteam%3ddet%3bconf%3dafc%3bco nf%3dnfc%3bdvsn%3dacs%3bdvsn%3dncw%3bdvsn%3dnce%3b dvsn%3dncn&p.ct=Analysis&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp&__twitter_impression=true

McDaniels and...Vrabel?

Yeah, praying it’s McDaniels. Rap spends most of the paragraph insinuating that it’s McDaniels so I’m not panicking.

njcoltfan
01-13-2018, 10:39 AM
https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905745/article/breaking-down-cardinals-colts-giants-lions-coaching-searches?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3danalysis%3bteam%3dind%3bteam %3darz%3bteam%3dnyg%3bteam%3ddet%3bconf%3dafc%3bco nf%3dnfc%3bdvsn%3dacs%3bdvsn%3dncw%3bdvsn%3dnce%3b dvsn%3dncn&p.ct=Analysis&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp&__twitter_impression=true

McDaniels and...Vrabel?

Yeah, praying it’s McDaniels. Rap spends most of the paragraph insinuating that it’s McDaniels so I’m not panicking.

Jesus, I wonder what happened to Toub, maybe DC ?

IndyNorm
01-13-2018, 10:42 AM
Jesus, I wonder what happened to Toub, maybe DC ?

Yep. I'm wondering that as well, and we're nowhere near the only ones. All that smoke and no fire at all.

Coltsalr
01-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Yeah. We share a dislike for patriots coaches. I don't see how that is surprising. Not to mention the dude just seems like a giant douchebag.

But we know you would love the hire. Of course you would

I also have a dislike for Patriots coaches and I used to think he was a douchebag until I read this:

That said, you can feel that way without thinking he’d be an unmitigated disaster. Dam thinks that McDaniels would crater the organization.

Indiana V2
01-13-2018, 11:10 AM
I also have a dislike for Patriots coaches and I used to think he was a douchebag until I read this:

That said, you can feel that way without thinking he’d be an unmitigated disaster. Dam thinks that McDaniels would crater the organization.

I was iffy about McDaniels, but now I'm fine if he's the pick, I have the hope he will have learned from his prior mistakes, I mean Belichick used to coach the Browns, and now look at him...lol...

Oldcolt
01-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Taub is a figment of reporters imagination. Either he is not seen as head coaching material or he has no interest in it. If he was or did someone would have interviewed the guy by now. He has not been reported to have an interview with any of the open positions this year. If it is Vrabl or McDaniels and they work well with Ballard I will be happy

HoosierinFL
01-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Yep. I'm wondering that as well, and we're nowhere near the only ones. All that smoke and no fire at all.

The speculation about Toub came from nowhere last off-season. What was the basis? People kept talking about him, but no one in the Colts org is the reason. They never interviewed Toub. I still don't know why we keep talking about him. He's not coming.

HoosierinFL
01-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Here's that article about McDaniels learning his lessons from his time in Denver and then going back to the New England, and how he's learning different things about how Belichek operates now that he's been a HC before

Coltsalr
01-13-2018, 12:04 PM
I was iffy about McDaniels, but now I'm fine if he's the pick, I have the hope he will have learned from his prior mistakes, I mean Belichick used to coach the Browns, and now look at him...lol...

Also interesting that McDaniels went to Dungy for advice.

Pats fans think they’re a monolithic organization that hates all things Colts and yet that’s where McDaniels turned...

If he’s following literally anything at all from Dungy then his second stint is bound to be better.

apballin
01-13-2018, 01:07 PM

Only reason he was moved to corner was because of injuries

apballin
01-13-2018, 01:12 PM
No

Apballin is a fucking loser like dam that just can't admit they are wrong. Tiny dicks, daddy didn't love them enough or they are just fat assholes that think being right on the internet is an accomplishment.

I got no problem admitting when I'm wrong,

Your wrong on all 3 accounts of your assessment of me

I'm right more than I'm wrong, funny thingis when I call something you pussies go silent and refuse to even acknowledge it

YDFL Commish
01-13-2018, 03:18 PM

McDaniels and...Vrabel?

This The plan is to gather intel this weekend, meet, then proceed Monday with either second interviews or simply by making a choice. is fucking stupid.

He doesn't have a clue what is goin on inside Colts HQ, yet he makes shit like this up?

Colt Classic
01-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Here's that article about McDaniels learning his lessons from his time in Denver and then going back to the New England, and how he's learning different things about how Belichek operates now that he's been a HC before

It all sounds like fluff. A few weeks ago, Venturi was asked why Patriots assistant coaches haven't had success on their own as head coaches. In general, he thinks it's due to them following the letter of the BB law--run things the Patriot way. It's all fine and great at first, but once the wins don't follow, they don't know what to do beyond that and the foundation crumbles.

I still think it will be the same way for McDaniels and once the shine of the "Patriot way" of doing things wears off, he'll just revert to being a loud d-bag that pisses off everyone around him by being a petulant hothead--same stuff that rubbed people wrong in Denver. Those who do not learn from history...

Gimmick
01-13-2018, 05:42 PM
I don't like McDaniels because he's with the cheaters, but otherwise he's a good candidate.

Mike Vrabel is a known scumbag with no resume. If he's the next coach this franchise is officially flushed down the toilet.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/13/colts-coaching-search-front-runners-josh-mcdaniels-and-mike-vrabel/1031144001/

Colt Classic
01-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Did the Colts fulfill the Rooney Rule with their contact of the Panthers' coach?

omahacolt
01-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Did the Colts fulfill the Rooney Rule with their contact of the Panthers' coach?

No

They did it with the other black dude

Coltsalr
01-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Only reason he was moved to corner was because of injuries

I don’t care if the team plane crashed with everyone except him aboard, he never should’ve been moved to corner.

Coltsalr
01-13-2018, 07:36 PM

They reportedly did interview Kris Richard, the Seahawks DC.

Puck
01-13-2018, 09:01 PM
I don’t care if the team plane crashed with everyone except him aboard, he never should’ve been moved to corner.

To be fair. Ballard wanted him as a CB in KC so maybe he asked Pagass to try him there so he could evaluate him.

FatDT
01-13-2018, 10:31 PM
I want to throw into this conversation that being over drafted isnt’ Green’s fault and that I hope with some new coaching he can find a role and contribute next season.

omahacolt
01-13-2018, 11:03 PM
I want to throw into this conversation that being over drafted isnt’ Green’s fault and that I hope with some new coaching he can find a role and contribute next season.

I hope he is cut tomorrow

DrSpaceman
01-13-2018, 11:04 PM

No, he sucks.

Not only is he just bad as a player but he is also stupid.

Just cut him.

DrSpaceman
01-13-2018, 11:07 PM
While I think it was the wrong decision to keep Pagano another year, the advantage I just came to realize today is at least now its Ballard mostly in charge of finding the new coach instead of Irsay.

If he had fired them both last year, or even two years ago, Irsay would have basically again hiring the GM and coach, in charge of the search and mainly in charge of the decision

At least now it seems Ballard has most of the control over the search

If its down to McDaniels and Vrabel, I'd take McDaniels. The team at least has the QB and some pieces in place to put in the type of offense he knows how to run. Not really true for the D.

njcoltfan
01-14-2018, 12:05 AM
While I think it was the wrong decision to keep Pagano another year, the advantage I just came to realize today is at least now its Ballard mostly in charge of finding the new coach instead of Irsay.

If he had fired them both last year, or even two years ago, Irsay would have basically again hiring the GM and coach, in charge of the search and mainly in charge of the decision

At least now it seems Ballard has most of the control over the search

If its down to McDaniels and Vrabel, I'd take McDaniels. The team at least has the QB and some pieces in place to put in the type of offense he knows how to run. Not really true for the D.
McDaniel looks like he is having a good time tonight, I wonder if he might stay in New England.

Indiana V2
01-14-2018, 12:42 AM
McDaniel looks like he is having a good time tonight, I wonder if he might stay in New England.

They did say Patricia was more of a sure thing to leave for a head coaching job, than McDaniels.

Spike
01-14-2018, 12:48 AM

Of course he was having a good time, they were kicking the Titan's ass. Still believe he wants to be a HC and will be for the Colts.

Coltsalr
01-14-2018, 11:16 AM
@RapSheet
#Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has indicated to potential assistants to wait for him. The belief is he takes the #Colts job, as he's the clear favorite, sources say. Indy's other finalist is Mike Vrabel.

Puck
01-14-2018, 11:25 AM
@RapSheet
#Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has indicated to potential assistants to wait for him. The belief is he takes the #Colts job, as he's the clear favorite, sources say. Indy's other finalist is Mike Vrabel.

I sure the fuck hope that isn't why Chud hasn't left

Puck
01-14-2018, 11:51 AM
@RapSheet

Ian Rapoport
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
33m
One name to watch with #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels and his next destination (likely #Colts): #Cowboys LBs coach Matt Eberflus is his top choice as DC. Eberflus is a free agent.

Thoughts?

Coltsalr
01-14-2018, 11:55 AM
I sure the fuck hope that isn't why Chud hasn't left

It doesn’t sound like McDaniels would be holding onto Monachino, either:

@RapSheet
One name to watch with #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels and his next destination (likely #Colts): #Cowboys LBs coach Matt Eberflus is his top choice as DC. Eberflus is a free agent.

For those unfamiliar with Eberflus (as I was), here’s a Cowboys fan blog raving about him:

Per the norm, Ian Rapoport took to NFL Network on Sunday morning to discuss the latest from around the NFL. Among the subjects were top coordinators who will be free agents in 2018.

While the discussions of Cowboys fans these last few days have centered around Scott Linehan and Rod Marinelli, it’s Matt Eberflus who would cause the most harm should he depart. It’s believed he’ll have an opportunity for a promotion in no time.

Among other notable coaches with expiring contracts are Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo and Dallas Cowboys linebackers coach/passing game coordinator Matt Eberflus. Both will be strong candidates for coordinator jobs elsewhere; DeFilippo is also expected to draw interest as a head-coaching candidate.
You’ll note that Coach Flus has a unique job title relative to those mentioned alongside him as he’s the Cowboys linebackers coach and passing game coordinator. The latter came as a promotion following the 2015 season, and it’s one that was well-deserving.

A case could be made that the best coach on the Cowboys is indeed Matt Eberflus. What element of the team has shown the most consistency over the last few seasons more than his linebackers, besides maybe the offensive line?

Eberflus has made things work with limited options at times. Of course he’s had Sean Lee, but due to injuries he’s also had to work with players like Rolando McClain, Justin Durant, Damien Wilson, and Anthony Hitchens. Hitch is even considered by many as this team’s most important free agent (as far as players are concerned).

Matt Eberflus has also been critical in the development of Jaylon Smith, who granted still has a long way to go. It should also be noted how critical of a role he’s also played in Sean Lee’s development. The Ringer reported on their relationship back in January.

In addition to attending the Cowboys’ scheduled defensive meetings, Lee and fellow linebacker Justin Durant join Eberflus for 50-minute morning sessions they call the Breakfast Club, a signal-callers’ get-together aimed at digging through the minutiae of an opposing offense: every Darren Sproles carry, every Jordan Reed route, every Odell Beckham Jr. catch.
The piece also describes Eberflus’ famed exam that he hands out to prospective linebackers. Sean Lee famously missed only one of the 40 questions, a mark only ever achieved by one other player (Rolando McClain). Coach Flus is an extremely valuable asset.

It’s understandable that Eberflus would want to further his coaching career, which would invariably include the step up to defensive coordinator. If Rod Marinelli is maintained by Jason Garrett, it’s conceivable that Eberflus would take a promotion elsewhere if it was (and likely would be) offered.

The Cowboys defense started turning the corner in 2017, and Matt Eberflus was a big reason for that. Losing him could hurt the development of younger players, and the Cowboys are going to reach a fork in the road this offseason where a decision needs to be made.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/12/28/16822706/is-the-dallas-cowboys-most-important-free-agent-matt-eberflus

Note: You’d think a guy would have to be REALLY good to have a fan blog singing his praises as LB coach. How many fans even know the name of their LB coach off the top of their heads? I know I couldn’t tell you the name of the Colts LB coach and based off the Colts LB play, I’d certainly have a hard time making any sort of a case for whoever he is doing anything ever.

Coltsalr
01-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Speaking of bringing over guys, if we get McDaniels, I wouldn’t be surprised if he brings over Dion Lewis and Danny Amendola.

In much the same way that Pagano brought over Zbikowski and Grigson with Winston Justice/Mike McGlynn.

Only these guys don’t actually suck because McDaniels isn’t retarded.

Puck
01-14-2018, 12:27 PM
It doesn’t sound like McDaniels would be holding onto Monachino, either:

@RapSheet

For those unfamiliar with Eberflus (as I was), here’s a Cowboys fan blog raving about him:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/12/28/16822706/is-the-dallas-cowboys-most-important-free-agent-matt-eberflus

Note: You’d think a guy would have to be REALLY good to have a fan blog singing his praises as LB coach. How many fans even know the name of their LB coach off the top of their heads? I know I couldn’t tell you the name of the Colts LB coach and based off the Colts LB play, I’d certainly have a hard time making any sort of a case for whoever he is doing anything ever.

Yea posted that just before you did. I see he's well respected but i really want a top established DC. Otherwise he better surround himself with the best of the best position coaches.

Dallas is a 4-3 D which would align with an article i posted a few weeks ago an out Ballard switching to a 4-3 D more like Seattle

The 4-3 defensive alignment is the most commonly used scheme in the National Football League. However, the Dallas Cowboys don't necessarily live by the strict definitions of that scheme. We know that the base defense calls for four down linemen and three linebackers. Yet, if we take a look at how the Cowboys have built their unit , they deploy somewhat of a hybrid-type similar to the Seattle Seahawks.

This his is interesting seeing what packages they use most

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/12/scheme-review-should-cowboys-abandon-their-zone-defenses/

omahacolt
01-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Speaking of bringing over guys, if we get McDaniels, I wouldn’t be surprised if he brings over Dion Lewis and Danny Amendola.

In much the same way that Pagano brought over Zbikowski and Grigson with Winston Justice/Mike McGlynn.

I don't really want amendola. Would think finding a younger version would be the way to go.

Puck
01-14-2018, 01:05 PM

Soldier is a FA after this yr correct?

apballin
01-14-2018, 02:20 PM
He's the right guy still hard to stomach, but fuck it make it official already

Coltsalr
01-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Soldier is a FA after this yr correct?

Yep, would definitely have to see his medicals, but could definitely do worse than having two 2011 first round OT’s bookending either sides of the OL.

Racehorse
01-14-2018, 02:44 PM
He's the right guy still hard to stomach, but fuck it make it official already

I don't think they can, according to league rules. Hopefully, they will be able to do so in a week. ;)

DrSpaceman
01-14-2018, 03:07 PM
He wasn't my first choice but I'd be OK with McDaniels.

Whether it went well at first or not, he has head coaching experience that hopefully he has learned from

At least we can finally say goodbye to this crap offensive 'scheme', using that word loosely, we have seen for 5 years.

I'd be all for him bringing a FA RB with him from the Pats, someone to pair with Mack.

I'd prefer McDaniels over Vrabel as well.

I wonder how much influence Luck has had in the choice of McDaniels behind the scenes? If he has been unhappy, an offensive minded head coach to bring in a system that has worked great in NE certainly has to give him some confidence about real change and the future of the team.

And since its sort of on topic now since he may be the Colts coach, the titans and Mariota really crapped the bed in that playoff game.

omahacolt
01-14-2018, 03:15 PM
He wasn't my first choice but I'd be OK with McDaniels.

Whether it went well at first or not, he has head coaching experience that hopefully he has learned from

At least we can finally say goodbye to this crap offensive 'scheme', using that word loosely, we have seen for 5 years.

I'd be all for him bringing a FA RB with him from the Pats, someone to pair with Mack.

I'd prefer McDaniels over Vrabel as well.

I wonder how much influence Luck has had in the choice of McDaniels behind the scenes? If he has been unhappy, an offensive minded head coach to bring in a system that has worked great in NE certainly has to give him some confidence about real change and the future of the team.

And since its sort of on topic now since he may be the Colts coach, the titans and Mariota really crapped the bed in that playoff game.
Luck should have zero influence

As far as McDaniels, I am just happy it won't be pagano at this point.