PDA

View Full Version : Pagano Watch

Coltsalr
12-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Ben Volin of the Boston Globe said to expect a "housecleaning" in Indianapolis this offseason.
That includes both the coaching staff and 53-man roster. With Indianapolis set to miss the playoffs for a third consecutive year, Chuck Pagano is likely nearing the end of his Colts tenure. Per Volin, GM Chris Ballard wants to give Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub a head-coaching opportunity, though owner Jim Irsay may be looking for a "sexier" hire. Ballard has also been grilling Jacoby Brissett on Josh McDaniels, who served as Brissett's OC during his time in New England. Either way, it's a near certainty that Pagano will be handed his walking papers on Black Monday.
Source: Boston Globe Dec 17 - 9:28 AM

I think this is our first “Pagano expected to be fired” report of the year.

Indiana V2
12-17-2017, 11:41 AM
We've heard this before, hope it happens this time. Would not mind giving McDaniels another chance as a head coach.

Luck4Reich
12-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Ben Volin of the Boston Globe said to expect a "housecleaning" in Indianapolis this offseason.
That includes both the coaching staff and 53-man roster. With Indianapolis set to miss the playoffs for a third consecutive year, Chuck Pagano is likely nearing the end of his Colts tenure. Per Volin, GM Chris Ballard wants to give Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub a head-coaching opportunity, though owner Jim Irsay may be looking for a "sexier" hire. Ballard has also been grilling Jacoby Brissett on Josh McDaniels, who served as Brissett's OC during his time in New England. Either way, it's a near certainty that Pagano will be handed his walking papers on Black Monday.
Source: Boston Globe Dec 17 - 9:28 AM

I think this is our first “Pagano expected to be fired” report of the year.

The only exciting thing about the offseason. Chuck being fired and hopefully Chud. Also seeing what Ballard does with the draft.

Coltsalr
12-17-2017, 11:45 AM
A roster purge is interesting, but the more I think about it...

QB-Okay lets just pray that this position isn’t overhauled. But Luck being so healthy to the point that the Colts feel comfortable dealing with Brissett would obviously be a very positive development and one that would contribute to a “housecleaning.”

RB-Gore is very obviously gone. Mack should be back, but I don’t think he’s shown enough to be definitive RB1. Turbin and Ferguson are both probably gone too. Likely “housecleaning.”

WR- Hilton will probably stay, but I’m guessing Moncrief/Aiken/Rogers are all gone. I’ll call this position a “housecleaning”

TE- Doyle will stay, Brandon Williams is dead and Erik Swoope is on Year 15 of him being one year away from being ready. This’ll be a housecleaning after Doyle.

OL-Castonzo and Kelly seem safe. Mewhort will be a UFA, and I’m not sure we’d bother, Particularly if we have a new a coaching staff, “knows the system” won’t be at all relevant. No one else at OL impresses me enough to be handed a starting job next year. 3/5 new starters constitutes a housecleaning I suppose, though I’m a bit skeptical they’ll go to quite that degree.

DL- I’d actually keep most of these guys. Hankins, Woods, Anderson, and Hunt have all been good. You can add some more depth obviously, but I’d keep the core. Though I also wouldn’t be opposed to a Sheldon Richardson addition. But I don’t think this will be a “housecleaning”

OLB-I like Simon/Sheard, though I’d obviously love it if we could get some blue chip pass rusher. Again, augmenting the position, not “housecleaning” it.

ILB- Okay, yep, burn it down. Anyone that’s played ILB this year deserves a pink tag. They all suck. Houseclean this motherfucker.

CB-Hopefully the new coaching staff won’t weirdly bench Quincy Wilson. I suppose you could “houseclean the depth” but I was okay with Desir/Hairston/Melvin.

S-Geathers and Hooker seems like a potentially good Safety duo. Need to see more from Geathers, he’s understandly rusty now. Butler is very likely gone, I haven’t been overly impressed with his move to Safety and I like Butler. If they do decide that Geathers isn’t the starter of the future, move on from Butler, this will be a housecleaning of that individual spot.

I guess everyone can decide for themselves if the above would constitute a “housecleaning”.

rcubed
12-17-2017, 12:07 PM
I think they would keep rogers

Puck
12-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Marvin Lewis will be gone after this season. Announced on NFLN

ChoppedWood
12-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Sadly I don't think this will go high enough.

Jim needs to purge Jim- and I just don't think that's gonna happen.

To me, Jim has very sadly become a mostly mirrored image of Bob. It is time for a change at the very top to bring some new vision to this team. Either hand the reins to the girls, or bring in a President and stay completely out of the front office other than using a pen to sign checks and wave at the cameras and defer to your leadership team.

Right now this thing is fucked and my feeling is Jim is too personally woven into it to gut it to the joists and start the fuck over. Even the statement above that he may be looking for a bigger "splash" type hire- says that he can't get the fuck out of the way.

VeveJones007
12-17-2017, 12:18 PM
A roster purge is interesting, but the more I think about it...

QB-Okay lets just pray that this position isn’t overhauled. But Luck being so healthy to the point that the Colts feel comfortable dealing with Brissett would obviously be a very positive development and one that would contribute to a “housecleaning.”

RB-Gore is very obviously gone. Mack should be back, but I don’t think he’s shown enough to be definitive RB1. Turbin and Ferguson are both probably gone too. Likely “housecleaning.”

WR- Hilton will probably stay, but I’m guessing Moncrief/Aiken/Rogers are all gone. I’ll call this position a “housecleaning”

TE- Doyle will stay, Brandon Williams is dead and Erik Swoope is on Year 15 of him being one year away from being ready. This’ll be a housecleaning after Doyle.

OL-Castonzo and Kelly seem safe. Mewhort will be a UFA, and I’m not sure we’d bother, Particularly if we have a new a coaching staff, “knows the system” won’t be at all relevant. No one else at OL impresses me enough to be handed a starting job next year. 3/5 new starters constitutes a housecleaning I suppose, though I’m a bit skeptical they’ll go to quite that degree.

DL- I’d actually keep most of these guys. Hankins, Woods, Anderson, and Hunt have all been good. You can add some more depth obviously, but I’d keep the core. Though I also wouldn’t be opposed to a Sheldon Richardson addition. But I don’t think this will be a “housecleaning”

OLB-I like Simon/Sheard, though I’d obviously love it if we could get some blue chip pass rusher. Again, augmenting the position, not “housecleaning” it.

ILB- Okay, yep, burn it down. Anyone that’s played ILB this year deserves a pink tag. They all suck. Houseclean this motherfucker.

CB-Hopefully the new coaching staff won’t weirdly bench Quincy Wilson. I suppose you could “houseclean the depth” but I was okay with Desir/Hairston/Melvin.

S-Geathers and Hooker seems like a potentially good Safety duo. Need to see more from Geathers, he’s understandly rusty now. Butler is very likely gone, I haven’t been overly impressed with his move to Safety and I like Butler. If they do decide that Geathers isn’t the starter of the future, move on from Butler, this will be a housecleaning of that individual spot.

I guess everyone can decide for themselves if the above would constitute a “housecleaning”.

You just listed over half of the roster under the “needs replaced” column. That is a housecleaning.

VeveJones007
12-17-2017, 12:20 PM

To me, Jim has very sadly become a mostly mirrored image of Bob. It is time for a change at the very top to bring some new vision to this team. Either hand the reins to the girls, or bring in a President and stay completely out of the front office other than using a pen to sign checks and wave at the cameras and defer to your leadership team.

Right now this thing is fucked and my feeling is Jim is too personally woven into it to gut it to the joists and start the fuck over. Even the statement above that he may be looking for a bigger "splash" type hire- says that he can't get the fuck out of the way.

Jim doesn’t look so good (heathwise). Kravitz has mentioned it recently.

Puck
12-17-2017, 12:21 PM
You just listed over half of the roster under the “needs replaced” column. That is a housecleaning.

Well that would give us about 200 million in cap space. HAHA.

Puck
12-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Well that would give us about 200 million in cap space. HAHA.. ;)

Coltsalr
12-17-2017, 12:53 PM

True, though I think just stereotypically when people hear “housecleaning”, they think of a bunch of key name departures.

I largely referenced the depth getting purged.

Then again, there’s the fact that due to lack of talent acquisition, we don’t have a ton of name players, so there is that.

Coltsalr
12-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Jim doesn’t look so good (heathwise). Kravitz has mentioned it recently.

Brad Wells is saying on Twitter that he’s hearing that Jim Irsay might step down to health reasons and hand the reigns to Carlie.

For whatever that’s worth.

Hoopsdoc
12-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Jim's not that bad. He's an admittedly weird dude, but he loves the Colts and wants nothing more than to win. He got suckered by a con artist in Pagano, but I have all the confidence in the world he can fix it.

He made a good start with Ballard.

ChoppedWood
12-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Man I used to love him dearly as an owner- I was filled with tears watching that frozen tundra parade and seeing him relish in the madness of the moment.

Now however, I think he's sacrificed us the fans as a compensation for not having the stones to do what was ultimately necessary- which was tell the truth and more importantly rid this team of the poop stains that soil it at the managerial level. He carries responsibility for what this cluster fuck looks like and the national media views this entire organization as a dumpster fire essentially due to the madness that has been run out there every Sunday and then blah blah blah'd about in ever sad sack press conference afterward. His obligation to his corporation is to stop this shit- and he doesn't.

omahacolt
12-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Brad Wells is saying on Twitter that he’s hearing that Jim Irsay might step down to health reasons and hand the reigns to Carlie.

nothing

it is worth absolutely nothing.

omahacolt
12-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Man I used to love him dearly as an owner- I was filled with tears watching that frozen tundra parade and seeing him relish in the madness of the moment.

Now however, I think he's sacrificed us the fans as a compensation for not having the stones to do what was ultimately necessary- which was tell the truth and more importantly rid this team of the poop stains that soil it at the managerial level. He carries responsibility for what this cluster fuck looks like and the national media views this entire organization as a dumpster fire essentially due to the madness that has been run out there every Sunday and then blah blah blah'd about in ever sad sack press conference afterward. His obligation to his corporation is to stop this shit- and he doesn't.

this is an overreaction.

irsay made a mistake and hired grigson and pagano. that fucking happens. he didn't fire them soon enough. that is true. but lets calm the fuck down and allow that the dude looks to have made a good hire in ballard.

Luck4Reich
12-17-2017, 01:40 PM
nothing

it is worth absolutely nothing.

Absolutely right! I don’t care if he hands team over to his favorite hooker. It is going to come down to Ballard has to win big in this draft and bring in the right players. If he doesn’t it won’t matter.

Luck4Reich
12-17-2017, 01:47 PM
It will be so nice to have a team that can protect our QB and get pressure on the other teams QB.

Puck
12-17-2017, 02:06 PM
No matter what... the #1 thing that has to happen is build an Oline that can protect Luck. If its in FA that is a plus. If Ballard has to use every pick on Oline then so be it. No GOOD potential HC is going to want to come here with the thought in the back of their mind that Luck wont have the best protection possible and could be lost again....

100 sacks in 2 yrs. SMH

njcoltfan
12-17-2017, 02:09 PM
I sure as hell hope that Irsay stays out of the coaching hire !!! He’s proven with the Grigson/Pagano hire that he’s losing a little. He should tell Ballard to hire his man!!!

Indiana V2
12-17-2017, 07:11 PM

Brad Wells also said that Peyton Manning would be named the Colts President.

Coltsalr
12-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Brad Wells also said that Peyton Manning would be named the Colts President.

He also knew the Colts were talking to Gruden prior to it being reported.

He clearly knows someone. He’s also clearly an assbag that makes shit up.

kitekrazy
12-17-2017, 08:24 PM
Ditch the 3-4 defense.

DrSpaceman
12-17-2017, 08:43 PM
I would love for Jim to step down and hand the team over to anyone else.

From what I have read of his daughters they seem to be pretty level headed people.

And I doubt they are drugged up addicts doing blow with hookers in their car while tweeting shit day after day, to that's a plus too.

DrSpaceman
12-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Ditch the 3-4 defense.

They can play a 2-5-4 or 1-6-1-3 or whatever the hell they want to call it as long as its better than the shit we've seen this season

Brylok
12-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Jim has been on a downward trend for a while now and, with the latest Luck news, sees his franchise heading back to the bad old days. People just won't pay for that anymore. His lies have caught up with him, Luck might be finished, and it's time for Jim to step aside and pray his daughter and Ballard can right the ship.

YDFL Commish
12-17-2017, 10:12 PM
Ditch the 3-4 defense.

It's a little to late for that now. Hankins and Woods would be much less effective in a 3-4.

FatDT
12-17-2017, 10:48 PM
It's a little to late for that now. Hankins and Woods would be much less effective in a 3-4.

Our 4 best DL are better fits for an odd front and we have no 4-3 LBs.

omahacolt
12-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Our 4 best DL are better fits for an odd front and we have no 4-3 LBs.

We aren't really stacked with 3-4 lbers

FatDT
12-17-2017, 10:58 PM
We aren't really stacked with 3-4 lbers

We have three worth keeping in Sheard, Simon, and Mingo. Four if you count Basham since he's a rookie.

Sheard and I guess Basham could move to DE. But we'd need a second starter at strong side DE, Simon and Mingo can't do it.

We finally have the personnel to play 3-4 football, it'd be painful to go back again at this point.

Coltsalr
12-17-2017, 11:57 PM
We have three worth keeping in Sheard, Simon, and Mingo. Four if you count Basham since he's a rookie.

Sheard and I guess Basham could move to DE. But we'd need a second starter at strong side DE, Simon and Mingo can't do it.

We finally have the personnel to play 3-4 football, it'd be painful to go back again at this point.

I remember thinking in 2012 that with a 3-4 coming in and us having Freeney/Mathis that Pagano, a defensive guy, would design some sort of a hybrid defense that would be able to utilize the talent.

That worked out well...

Butter
12-18-2017, 12:35 AM
this is an overreaction.

irsay made a mistake and hired grigson and pagano. that fucking happens. he didn't fire them soon enough. that is true. but lets calm the fuck down and allow that the dude looks to have made a good hire in ballard.

Could we no let reason and thoughtfulness get in the way of a good old fashion witch burning for once. Christ almighty, next thing we know Women will get the vote and the Gays will be allowed to breath. Fucking liberals.

omahacolt
12-18-2017, 08:26 AM

I don't care either way. Just saying we aren't too far one way to have it effect our coaching hire.

None of those guys are people we really have to have.

sherck
12-18-2017, 11:40 AM
All of that would be the dream scenario.

Step 1: Peyton Manning comes in to be President of Football Operations in order to be the "face" of the franchise and make sure that the business and PR sides of the team was well taken care of. The PR is a bit of a mess right now; his presence would calm the fan base immediately.

Step 2: Have Chris Ballard continue to build the football side of the operation as GM with molding the scouting staff, maintaining player management, hiring a new medical staff and managing the salary cap.

Step 3: Hire a new HC (trust whomever Ballard ends up picking) with new coaching staff to wipe away the old systems and install something that, hopefully, is innovative and makes sense.

Step 4: Overpay (in terms of salary cap or draft picks) to FIX the offensive line for the 1st time in years.

Step 5: Add a couple of more impact players to the defense.

Step 6: Ensure that the offensive specialty positions are stocked "well enough" for Luck and the Colts to field a top ten offense.

We are now looking at an excess of $80m in 2018 cap space to use on free agents (our own and those from other teams) and a full spread of draft picks including the possibility of trading down from the #2/#3 overall to gain even more 2018 picks.

All of that can be achieved in 2018. That would be a house-clearing and a potentially huge turnaround.

Walk Worthy,

testcase448
12-18-2017, 12:14 PM
All of that would be the dream scenario.

Step 1: Peyton Manning comes in to be President of Football Operations in order to be the "face" of the franchise and make sure that the business and PR sides of the team was well taken care of. The PR is a bit of a mess right now; his presence would calm the fan base immediately.

Step 2: Have Chris Ballard continue to build the football side of the operation as GM with molding the scouting staff, maintaining player management, hiring a new medical staff and managing the salary cap.

Step 3: Hire a new HC (trust whomever Ballard ends up picking) with new coaching staff to wipe away the old systems and install something that, hopefully, is innovative and makes sense.

Step 4: Overpay (in terms of salary cap or draft picks) to FIX the offensive line for the 1st time in years.

Step 5: Add a couple of more impact players to the defense.

Step 6: Ensure that the offensive specialty positions are stocked "well enough" for Luck and the Colts to field a top ten offense.

We are now looking at an excess of $80m in 2018 cap space to use on free agents (our own and those from other teams) and a full spread of draft picks including the possibility of trading down from the #2/#3 overall to gain even more 2018 picks.

All of that can be achieved in 2018. That would be a house-clearing and a potentially huge turnaround.

Walk Worthy,

add Irsay stepping down

sherck
12-18-2017, 12:26 PM
add Irsay stepping down

Honestly, don't care.

If Peyton were hired and became the "face" of the franchise, then Irsay continuing as the interest controlling owner becomes much less of a thing.

Him or his daughters as the active owners would not really matter.

Getting Peyton involved long-term with the Colts again? Priceless.

Walk Worthy,

omahacolt
12-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Manning is not coming here

YDFL Commish
12-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Manning is not coming here

I'm thinking he buys the Panthers.

Colts And Orioles
12-31-2017, 01:35 PM
o

Sources: Colts Expected to Part Ways with Coach Chuck Pagano

(ESPN.Com)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21921427/chuck-pagano-indianapolis-colts-expected-part-ways

o

smitty46953
12-31-2017, 02:02 PM
Honestly, don't care.

Walk Worthy,

Omaha that you? :D