PDA

View Full Version : quick thoughts on another pagano lead blowout loss

omahacolt
12-03-2017, 06:28 PM
1) we should definitely ban dam and apballin. ban them until pagano is fired. bring them back and then ban them again for being stupid enough to support the worst coach in the history of the colts.

2) brissett just isnt that good. there is nothing more there. he can't read the defense fast enough. he doesn't play smart ball. he is fine in a role of coming in for 2 to 4 games but that is it. there is a reason the pats gave up on him. he just simply wont work in that offense.

3) zero leadership on this team. especially on defense but as a whole there is nobody. not a single leader on this team.

4) tj green made 2 tackles. holy shit. i think i counted 3 but one wasn't really him.

5) even with brissett playing like ass, this offense just isn't constructed properly. they do nothing well. they hang their hat on the hopes of a big play. they can't do shit. and the route combos per down and distance are just baffling. especially against a pass rush like the jags

6) Good is interesting to me. the guy might be a keeper at rt. i watched him a lot today. he just has to stick with proper technique. and he fails to do that. still he had a good game today. he can play and be dominant. he is the only offensive player i give a shit about the rest of the year.

7) haeg is at best a backup swing lineman. at best

8) it is inexcusable to be this bad on d against the jags offense. pagano should not be on the sideline next week. period. enough is enough.

9) i was really impressed with mack on his pass protection. while he wasn't good he was willing and seemed to be getting better. and then today happened. after a few times of sticking his head in there he checked out. didn't want any part of it. if that happens again, you cut him. can't play in the league with that piss poor effort. i don't care how good you are.

10) rogers made a couple nice catches. i am curious what he can do in a real offense

11) AC continues to play well.

Racehorse
12-03-2017, 06:46 PM
I agree on Rogers

DrSpaceman
12-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Honestly did not watch the game and was glad I missed it. I didn't even tape it to be able to watch it later. I had other plans.

Sounds like I made the right choice.

4 more weeks with Pagano. I would expect many of the players to be "checking out", if they have not already, in the next several weeks.

The lack of leadership on the D has been the problem since Pagano arrived.

GoBigBlue88
12-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Good stuff, Omaha. Just a few quick ones from me...

1. Glad you saw that from Good. I don't know if I'm sold on him at RT, but he's the only guy besides Kelly I've ever seen pancake someone on this line.

2. This is the most bored I have ever been watching the Colts, and I'm a football nerd. They're not just bad, they're boring. They have no guts. They go 3-and-out, punt, then allow a long drive. There just isn't anything to get excited about around this team, and that has to terrify Irsay and Ballard. How many plays actually interested you today? Maybe a Mack run, Hilton TD and Basham sack? Maybe 3 or 4?

3. Brissett is clearly a QB2, but if he's going to play QB1, he has to pull the damn trigger. I don't know how many times Hilton was wide open only for Brissett to take a sack. He doesn't see downfield, doesn't go through progressions quickly enough and doesn't understand what to do when he makes the decision NOT to throw. This kid is a mess, honestly. And more evidence that players backslide once this coaching staff gets a hold of them.

4. At least Kamar Aiken made me laugh today?

Puck
12-03-2017, 07:41 PM
I believe all 4 sacks were avoidable today if he throws the ball away. It is his nature to keep the ball and try to make a play. It's not smart and he needs to get rid of it.... this is ALL ON THE COACHING. They are doing nothing to change his thought process in these situations

Glad Wilson got to play today. Made some mistakes and will hopefully get better but he was not an upgrade over the starters we had in Melvin and Disir and Hairston. Not saying that will always be the case and will improve with playing time. Nothing special right now

congrats to Frank Gore..... easily one of my favorite Colts these days

omahacolt
12-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Good stuff, Omaha. Just a few quick ones from me...

1. Glad you saw that from Good. I don't know if I'm sold on him at RT, but he's the only guy besides Kelly I've ever seen pancake someone on this line.

2. This is the most bored I have ever been watching the Colts, and I'm a football nerd. They're not just bad, they're boring. They have no guts. They go 3-and-out, punt, then allow a long drive. There just isn't anything to get excited about around this team, and that has to terrify Irsay and Ballard. How many plays actually interested you today? Maybe a Mack run, Hilton TD and Basham sack? Maybe 3 or 4?

3. Brissett is clearly a QB2, but if he's going to play QB1, he has to pull the damn trigger. I don't know how many times Hilton was wide open only for Brissett to take a sack. He doesn't see downfield, doesn't go through progressions quickly enough and doesn't understand what to do when he makes the decision NOT to throw. This kid is a mess, honestly. And more evidence that players backslide once this coaching staff gets a hold of them.

4. At least Kamar Aiken made me laugh today?i am not sold on him yet. I think he can do the job and do it well but I need to see him do it week after week before I am sold

Puck
12-03-2017, 08:24 PM
At least Pagfuck didn't lose another lead today

OneVoice
12-03-2017, 08:40 PM
I would add a comment abt Quincy Wilson to this list, just the fact that he was a complete non-factor / seems to me his position on the depth chart was well-deserved, something we weren't sure abt before today.

omahacolt
12-03-2017, 08:53 PM
I would add a comment abt Quincy Wilson to this list, just the fact that he was a complete non-factor / seems to me his position on the depth chart was well-deserved, something we weren't sure abt before today.

Being a non factor is a good thing for a cb

indycolts2
12-03-2017, 08:56 PM

Yet he received praise for his play against Arizona and then between an injury and coaching idiocy he does not see the field for 11 weeks? You may be right but I'm hoping he gets a start next week to see if game speed continuity helps him pick his performance up.

daedge
12-03-2017, 09:00 PM

Surely you can't have expected huge things from a rookie who hasn't played since week 2?

Puck
12-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Surely you can't have expected huge things from a rookie who hasn't played since week 2?

I agree with this but the amount of bitching that he wasn't playing was getting pretty tiring.

He wouldn't have played again today if Melvin were healthy. And we would have had a better secondary with Melvin.

Not sure what his maturity issues are that they talk about but If his 'maturity' issues are that he just doesn't want to play special teams. Then he needs to sit he hasn't earned anything yet.

I don't know what the behind the scenes reasons are but obviously he isn't working very hard to correct those issues or he would be on the field and at least playing ST's. Can only dress so many and the back ups need to play STs

omahacolt
12-03-2017, 09:14 PM
I agree with this but the amount of bitching that he wasn't playing was getting pretty tiring.

He wouldn't have played again today if Melvin were healthy. And we would have had a better secondary with Melvin.

Not sure what his maturity issues are that they talk about but If his 'maturity' issues are that he just doesn't want to play special teams. Then he needs to sit he hasn't earned anything yet.

I don't know what the behind the scenes reasons are but obviously he isn't working very hard to correct those issues or he would be on the field and at least playing ST's. Can only dress so many and the back ups need to play STs
It is pagano

There may not be any maturity issues at all.

Maniac
12-03-2017, 09:22 PM

It could also be that he's fed up with how the coaching staff has been treating him and his play/effort is reflecting that.

Coltsalr
12-03-2017, 09:27 PM

I mean, how many times did he get thrown on today?

For a rusty rookie, you would’ve thought they’d have been picking on him. That didn’t happen, if anything, I’m impressed.

Puck
12-03-2017, 09:31 PM
I mean, how many times did he get thrown on today?

For a rusty rookie, you would’ve thought they’d have been picking on him. That didn’t happen, if anything, I’m impressed.

Not sure how he would be rusty. He practices every day.

He was thrown on 3-4 times. Got beat pretty bad twice.

I am rooting for him. He is big and looks the part. Just hope he gets through whatever is keeping him off the field...

No matter what the issue is or who it is with. If he wants to see the field he is going to have to give into those in charge no matter how faked up they are.
Find a way to stay on the field and let his play keep him there

Racehorse
12-03-2017, 09:47 PM

I am rooting for him. He is big and looks the part. Just hope he gets through whatever is keeping him off the field...

No matter what the issue is or who it is with. If he wants to see the field he is going to have to give into those in charge no matter how faked up they are.

Game speed

HoosierinFL
12-03-2017, 09:55 PM

Yea, there's one thing: I enjoy watching this D line stuff running backs for a short gain, and they did that a bunch today with Fournette.

GoBigBlue88
12-03-2017, 09:57 PM
My thing with Wilson is: what do you gain playing Kenny Moore above him?

It doesn't really matter if Wilson is good or bad. He's a second-round pick. The season is lost, so you gotta blood him. Learn something now so you don't enter 2018 with the exact same damn question mark.

Coltsalr
12-03-2017, 10:04 PM

He hasn’t practiced every day (he’s had injuries), he’d been benched to the third team, so God only knows how many reps he’s gotten and who he goes up against in practice and dovetailing off of that, as Racehorse mentioned, there’s game speed.

Brylok
12-03-2017, 10:09 PM

This was the only game I've turned off this year. I was bored stiff, and thinking about various chores I needed to do before going back to work tomorrow. The Colts couldn't score, and JAX was far enough ahead that they didn't need to. Add in the flags and delays and I was out.

omahacolt
12-03-2017, 10:28 PM

It doesn't really matter if Wilson is good or bad. He's a second-round pick. The season is lost, so you gotta blood him. Learn something now so you don't enter 2018 with the exact same damn question mark.

Does Wilson and the Davis/pagano falling out somehow tie together?

omahacolt
12-03-2017, 10:29 PM
This was the only game I've turned off this year. I was bored stiff, and thinking about various chores I needed to do before going back to work tomorrow. The Colts couldn't score, and JAX was far enough ahead that they didn't need to. Add in the flags and delays and I was out.

Bored? I was pissed off

Puck
12-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Don't know about that but Morrison was yelling at Pagano on the sidelines apparently. Then threw his helmet

YDFL Commish
12-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Pags is so fukn retarded, he would leave Deion Sanders off the active roster

Brylok
12-03-2017, 11:53 PM
Bored? I was pissed off
Why? It's over at that point heading to 3-9. Embarrassed, sure. Pissed? Nah. Too late.

Brylok
12-03-2017, 11:56 PM
Don't know about that but Morrison was yelling at Pagano on the sidelines apparently. Then threw his helmet
He's probably mad he's going to get cut. "Dammit, Chuck! You're the only reason I have a job! Now we're both getting fired!".

FatDT
12-04-2017, 12:43 AM
No one should be concerned about Quincy Wilson. That's a ridiculous notion. Pagano and his staff have a history of playing the wrong players. They don't know who is good. They are stubborn and overestimate their own judgement.

OneVoice
12-04-2017, 12:59 AM

You can't call out Pagano for lack of accountability and then post this / I'm not saying Q can't be something down the line, but he is not a perfect prospect ( slow) and the no-name guys ahead of him are out-playing him right now.

OneVoice
12-04-2017, 01:02 AM
No one should be concerned about Quincy Wilson. That's a ridiculous notion. Pagano and his staff have a history of playing the wrong players. They don't know who is good. They are stubborn and overestimate their own judgement.

Pagano sucks and cant be fired soon enough / but I dont understand the love for Wilson.

Mr. Session
12-04-2017, 01:19 AM
Why? It's over at that point heading to 3-9. Embarrassed, sure. Pissed? Nah. Too late.

At this point I just laugh.

OneVoice
12-04-2017, 01:21 AM

This is interesting but Morrison (and Bostic) owe their current employment to Pagano / without him, they'd be out of the league or at least benched.

OneVoice
12-04-2017, 01:26 AM
At this point I just laugh.

Fournette's walk-in TD got me.

And the 3rd and long where the Colts lost containment on Bortles (Morrison & Farley blitzing, falling down?)

Hilarious.

GoBigBlue88
12-04-2017, 08:15 AM
You can't call out Pagano for lack of accountability and then post this / I'm not saying Q can't be something down the line, but he is not a perfect prospect ( slow) and the no-name guys ahead of him are out-playing him right now.

1. Only Kenny Moore was ahead of him by the time injuries played in Sunday, and he is NOT better than Wilson.

2. Apples & oranges. I'm not sure how accountability factors into this. You can't have a lost season in which you learn nothing about your second-round pick. That's just dumb franchise management. This year is all about putting yourself in a better position in 2018. You don't do that by putting your second-round pick in the freezer and playing special teams gunners ahead of him.

sherck
12-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Quick Blurb from PFF:
C Mike Person: While much of the offensive line struggled, Person held his own. He was the only member not to allow a pressure and opened up a handful of holes in the ground game.
And heck, he called a line blocking scheme that ONLY allowed 4 sacks for the game.

Might be a depth guy to carry into 2018.

Walk Worthy,

DrSpaceman
12-04-2017, 09:28 AM
1. Only Kenny Moore was ahead of him by the time injuries played in Sunday, and he is NOT better than Wilson.

2. Apples & oranges. I'm not sure how accountability factors into this. You can't have a lost season in which you learn nothing about your second-round pick. That's just dumb franchise management. This year is all about putting yourself in a better position in 2018. You don't do that by putting your second-round pick in the freezer and playing special teams gunners ahead of him.

If there was true accountability on this team the entire coaching staff would have been fired long ago

Put Wilson out there and see what he can do, I agree. I wouldn't judge him based on one game after being out several weeks with an injury and god knows what other reason

Desir sucked REALLY bad early in the season, but he has improved with time. I assume Wilson will as well.

OneVoice
12-04-2017, 12:50 PM
If there was true accountability on this team the entire coaching staff would have been fired long ago

Put Wilson out there and see what he can do, I agree. I wouldn't judge him based on one game after being out several weeks with an injury and god knows what other reason

Desir sucked REALLY bad early in the season, but he has improved with time. I assume Wilson will as well.

The Colts have 4 days of practice every week to see what players can do on Sunday ...players don't suck at practice and then star on gameday.

Melvin got playing time coming off the street last year. Desir is doing it this year. CB play has not been our worst problem / somebody is doing something right. Don't tell me the coaching staff (as much as they suck and should be fired yesterday) doesn't give players opportunity.

Maybe, this board needs to consider the possibility that QW just. isn't. that. good. They already know what they have. Maybe another HC can make better use of him / or he just gets better.

GoBigBlue88
12-04-2017, 01:03 PM
The Colts have 4 days of practice every week to see what players can do on Sunday ...players don't suck at practice and then star on gameday.

Melvin got playing time coming off the street last year. Desir is doing it this year. CB play has not been our worst problem / somebody is doing something right. Don't tell me the coaching staff (as much as they suck and should be fired yesterday) doesn't give players opportunity.

Maybe, this board needs to consider the possibility that QW just. isn't. that. good. They already know what they have. Maybe another HC can make better use of him / or he just gets better.

Counterpoint: Quincy Wilson has good game tape out there (Week 2) and this coaching staff can't evaluate players at all, so no way in hell I'm trusting them to make determinations based off practice.

Lame duck group at W 56th. They can't be making any evaluations purely behind closed doors.

Indystu2
12-04-2017, 01:47 PM
The Giants fired their HC. Next up, Pags and Co. !!!! C'mon! Make it happen!

njcoltfan
12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
The Giants fired their HC. Next up, Pags and Co. !!!! C'mon! Make it happen!

Well the Giants have the balls to to realize they made a mistake

rcubed
12-04-2017, 02:28 PM
It will happen. Not really sure it would buy anything at this point. Maybe a moral boost to the players.... but this is a lost season, the team is sunk and they know it.

For our sake, dont fuck up the draft spot.

FatDT
12-04-2017, 02:32 PM
The Giants now get a month-long head start on the HC search. There's one reason to fire Pagano now.

Maniac
12-04-2017, 02:46 PM
The Giants now get a month-long head start on the HC search. There's one reason to fire Pagano now.

If Luck is able to come back, the Colts job is a far better job than the Giants. Ballard may have someone in mind already anyway. I know they were saying he wanted Taub when he was hired in. If so, I'm sure he has already made it known to that potential coach that he is interested.

They will be fine firing Pagano as soon as the season is over.... as long as they actually do it as soon as the season is over and not wait a month or two.

The Giants also have to go through the process of hiring a GM, so by the time they are done there, it may be about the same time that their new GM starts his coaching search.

1965southpaw
12-04-2017, 03:00 PM
If Luck is able to come back, the Colts job is a far better job than the Giants. Ballard may have someone in mind already anyway. I know they were saying he wanted Taub when he was hired in. If so, I'm sure he has already made it known to that potential coach that he is interested.

They will be fine firing Pagano as soon as the season is over.... as long as they actually do it as soon as the season is over and not wait a month or two.

The Giants also have to go through the process of hiring a GM, so by the time they are done there, it may be about the same time that their new GM starts his coaching search.

By the way, did anyone catch the KC game yesterday? Reid delegated play calling duties to Nagy yesterday and the offense put up 31 points. i didn't see the game and I know they lost but it seems that the offensive side of the ball got a boost.....not sure that means anything re: Nagy's candidacy for head coach but I'm just so tired of our uninspired offensive game plan that I'm intrigued by anyone that can take a middle of the pack QB and give them a game plan that they can execute well.

rcubed
12-04-2017, 03:52 PM
to continue what JC said above. No team will be hiring a HC until the offseason. Ballard should already have his mind made up on firing pags and should have a short list of HCs to target. I would guess some of these have already been discussed through back channels. Plus, isnt there a date that has to pass before you can interview? Especially teams that are in the playoffs?

Pez
12-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Here's the rules... less stringent than I thought...

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/10/14038902/nfl-teams-hiring-new-head-coach-must-follow-rules

Nothing until the end of the regular season, then they can interview anyone in the playoffs or not with permission. There are also teams that can refuse in the case of a lateral move of for coaches under contract.

Maniac
12-04-2017, 05:06 PM
to continue what JC said above. No team will be hiring a HC until the offseason. Ballard should already have his mind made up on firing pags and should have a short list of HCs to target. I would guess some of these have already been discussed through back channels. Plus, isnt there a date that has to pass before you can interview? Especially teams that are in the playoffs?

Yep, the biggest issue is the time frame for that head coach filling out his staff with talented assistants, training staff, etc. In that regard, the sooner we get a new HC, the better