PDA

View Full Version : Colts not re-signing Mike Adams

FatDT
03-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Not a big surprise, but it's official.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/report-colts-wont-bring-back-mike-adams/

Good player for a few years, just too old at this point. One of Grigson's best moves. Good luck Mike.

Coltsalr
03-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Colts are also (probably) not bringing back Josh McNary or Zach Kerr:

So what will the Colts do with their own guys? The short answer is that we don’t know. But the Indianapolis Star’s Stephen Holder provided an update today, particularly when it comes to a couple of their restricted free agents. Holder reports that with Zach Kerr, “indications are he won’t be tendered at all.” And then as for Josh McNary, Holder said that the Colts have decided not to extend an RFA tender to him - though that doesn’t mean he couldn’t be brought back as an unrestricted free agent once he hits the market.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/3/6/14834446/report-indications-are-colts-wont-tender-zach-kerr-josh-mcnary

After a guy is non-tendered, it's usually a pretty good indication that they're probably going to head elsewhere, though there are exceptions and sometimes they find their way back.

In all cases, be it Mike Adams, Zach Kerr, or Josh McNary, I think it's best to move on and find someone else for their positions.

HoosierinFL
03-07-2017, 09:43 AM
For McNary, he can go.
For Kerr, mildly surprised, he wasn't terrible, I'm guessing Ballard has a plan for the d-line though.
For Adams, thanks for 3 good years, but it's probably time to move on.

Spike
03-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Not a big surprise, but it's official.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/report-colts-wont-bring-back-mike-adams/

Good player for a few years, just too old at this point. One of Grigson's best moves. Good luck Mike.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Coltsalr
03-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

And the fact that bringing in a 33 year old safety that did a good, but not spectacular job was one of his greatest moves, kinda says it all.

Puck
03-07-2017, 10:22 AM
And the fact that bringing in a 33 year old safety that did a good, but not spectacular job was one of his greatest moves, kinda says it all.

I think you forget about some other very good moves... Trading for Davis, Trading up for TY, resigning Wayne, resigning Mathis bringing in Gore, drafting Moncreif. Finding Freeman drafting Andersen Geathers and Kelly

Yea ther were mistakes but its not like he never got anything right.

And dont't forget your new man cruch on Ballard could end up biting you in the ass if he doesn't produce and produce NOW. Remember he hasnt done anything yet

Coltsalr
03-07-2017, 10:28 AM
I think you forget about some other very good moves... Trading for Davis, Trading up for TY, resigning Wayne, resigning Mathis bringing in Gore, drafting Moncreif. Finding Freeman drafting Andersen Geathers and Kelly

Yea ther were mistakes but its not like he never got anything right.

And dont't forget your new man cruch on Ballard could end up biting you in the ass if he doesn't produce and produce NOW. Remember he hasnt done anything yet

Please tell me that blowing Grigson now that he's fired isn't going to become your new fixation like bringing up Pep everytime Chudzinski fails at something.

FatDT
03-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Grigson had some good moves. If anything I thought he was showing some signs of improvement. It just wasnt' enough to outweigh his bad moves and terrible personality.

HoosierinFL
03-07-2017, 11:58 AM

I'm not quite sure if it was really a great move or not. Adams had a good stint here, but this was also a move that accompanied letting Antoine Bethea go. It's not clear this was an upward move at all, plus we lost Bethea's leadership as a longtime Colts player.

look at their stats
Bethea: 86 tackles, 1 sack, 10 passes defensed, 4 INTs, probowl (set a career high in INT return yardage)
Adams: 87 tackles, 0 sack, 11 passes defensed, 5 INTs, probowl

That is a roughly equivalent season
2015, Bethea torn a pectoral muscle and went on IR after 7 games. This works out for us since Adams was healthy, but you never know if that injury would have happened if Bethea was in Indy. Adams also missed 3 games this year. I report stats per game below because of this:
Bethea: 6.3 tackles per game, .14 sack per game, .29 passes defensed per game, 0 INTs
Adams: 4 tackles per game, .08 sack per game, .46 passes defensed per game, .38 INT per game. (probowl)
So a better year for Adams in terms of pass defense and INTs and of course games played, but Bethea still was playing well.

2016:
Bethea: 95 tackles (Career high), 0 sack, 3 pass defense, 1 INT
Adams: 62 tackles, 0 sack, 2 pass defense, 2 INT

Bethea is still producing, Adams wasn't terrible, but barring injury, Bethea looks to have had the slightly better stats over the last 3 years.

Again I think there was value in keeping some of the old guard around. But it seems Grigson wanted those guys gone.

Coltsalr
03-07-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm not quite sure if it was really a great move or not. Adams had a good stint here, but this was also a move that accompanied letting Antoine Bethea go. It's not clear this was an upward move at all, plus we lost Bethea's leadership as a longtime Colts player.

look at their stats
Bethea: 86 tackles, 1 sack, 10 passes defensed, 4 INTs, probowl (set a career high in INT return yardage)
Adams: 87 tackles, 0 sack, 11 passes defensed, 5 INTs, probowl

That is a roughly equivalent season
2015, Bethea torn a pectoral muscle and went on IR after 7 games. This works out for us since Adams was healthy, but you never know if that injury would have happened if Bethea was in Indy. Adams also missed 3 games this year. I report stats per game below because of this:
Bethea: 6.3 tackles per game, .14 sack per game, .29 passes defensed per game, 0 INTs
Adams: 4 tackles per game, .08 sack per game, .46 passes defensed per game, .38 INT per game. (probowl)
So a better year for Adams in terms of pass defense and INTs and of course games played, but Bethea still was playing well.

2016:
Bethea: 95 tackles (Career high), 0 sack, 3 pass defense, 1 INT
Adams: 62 tackles, 0 sack, 2 pass defense, 2 INT

Bethea is still producing, Adams wasn't terrible, but barring injury, Bethea looks to have had the slightly better stats over the last 3 years.

Again I think there was value in keeping some of the old guard around. But it seems Grigson wanted those guys gone.

There is that.

Heh, I get flamed for being too anti-Grigson and it turns out I was giving him credit for a move that wasn't even a very good one.

omahacolt
03-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Grigson had some good moves. If anything I thought he was showing some signs of improvement. It just wasnt' enough to outweigh his bad moves and terrible personality.

You met the guy?

FatDT
03-07-2017, 01:02 PM
You met the guy?

Yep. Sweaty, smelled bad, complete dickhead.

Puck
03-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Please tell me that blowing Grigson now that he's fired isn't going to become your new fixation like bringing up Pep everytime Chudzinski fails at something.

I didnt say that. But you are setting yourself up as a Ballard lover already and he hasnt done anything yet. He could be worse ya know???? Or we could find out that Irsay or Pagano had a lot to do with the failures of this team.

And as far as Pep vs Chud.... this team was built more to run Pep's offense than it is to run Chud's Hopefully that will change and Chud will get the players he needs to succeed.

I'll be interested in how contracts are written under Ballard. Because hate him or not Grigson did a pretty good job in that area.

Coltsalr
03-07-2017, 01:33 PM
I didnt say that. But you are setting yourself up as a Ballard lover already and he hasnt done anything yet. He could be worse ya know???? Or we could find out that Irsay or Pagano had a lot to do with the failures of this team.

And as far as Pep vs Chud.... this team was built more to run Pep's offense than it is to run Chud's Hopefully that will change and Chud will get the players he needs to succeed.

I'll be interested in how contracts are written under Ballard. Because hate him or not Grigson did a pretty good job in that area.

Find me one post where I've "set myself up as a Ballard lover" or given him any sort of lofty praise?

I'm very wait and see on this one. I'm aware that I have exactly zero idea how he's going to do. Any feelings that I have that he might be better are based solely on the fact that it'd be hard to be that much worse than Grigson, but it's of course possible, which I've never denied. He actually does have a very good reputation in the industry, very much unlike Grigson when he was hired, but I'm of course aware that that's not going to matter at all once he starts making moves and he'll be judged on those alone.

And as far as I know, the contract drafting guru is still in the front office.

Puck
03-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Find me one post where I've "set myself up as a Ballard lover" or given him any sort of lofty praise?

I'm very wait and see on this one. I'm aware that I have exactly zero idea how he's going to do. Any feelings that I have that he might be better are based solely on the fact that it'd be hard to be that much worse than Grigson, but it's of course possible, which I've never denied. He actually does have a very good reputation in the industry, very much unlike Grigson when he was hired, but I'm of course aware that that's not going to matter at all once he starts making moves and he'll be judged on those alone.

And as far as I know, the contract drafting guru is still in the front office.

Hope so.... FA tampering period started at midnight

rcubed
03-07-2017, 02:07 PM
the term 'legal tampering' is dumb.

if the league lets teams talk to FAs, then its not tampering. Its a negotiation period.

apballin
03-07-2017, 08:59 PM
They said they've gotta get younger and faster on defense

He did a good job but its time to part ways

Butter
03-07-2017, 11:34 PM
the term 'legal tampering' is dumb.

if the league lets teams talk to FAs, then its not tampering. Its a negotiation period.

I am glad I am not the only one that term annoys.

Racehorse
03-08-2017, 07:54 AM

IYAM, it was his terrible personality that got him the axe. Yeah, some decisions were bad, but the guy seemed to figure out the player selection thing late. Let's hope we do not have the same learning curve with yet another green GM.

Dam8610
03-08-2017, 10:49 AM

While going from historically bad to well below average is an improvement, technically, it shouldn't have been, and wasn't, enough for him to keep his job.

Wyatt
03-08-2017, 04:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfhBPRhFNoA

and then of course the game that he picked Brady off twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHW0Y72s4c

Wyatt
03-10-2017, 03:48 PM
@ProFootballTalk 2m2 minutes ago
Panthers agree to terms with safety Mike Adams on a two-year deal, per source.

Hoopsdoc
03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the memories, Mike. Good luck playing with Cam the diva.

Puck
03-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the memories, Mike. Good luck playing with Cam the diva.

He'll get to pick him in practice so I am sure he doesnt mind. They signed Peppers too. Good for them letting him retire a Panther. Wish we could do that for Freeney

Hoopsdoc
03-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Replace Adams with Mike Doss. /Omaha

Wyatt
03-10-2017, 04:59 PM
while we're at it, let's sign Mike Hart since we need a RB