PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Jacoby Brissett

sherck
11-28-2017, 07:43 AM
From an article about the TEN game:
Brissett was under pressure on more than half of his dropbacks on Sunday, and it clearly had an effect. The young quarterback out of NC State completed just 4-of-12 passes when under presure for just 27 total yards. When he was given time to throw, Brissett completed 13-of-17 throws for 169 yards and a 107.2 passer rating.
Obviously, it is a bit subjective as to when a QB is "under pressure" but it shows that Jacoby can be a pretty effective guy when he has time to survey the field and step into his delivery.

The great NFL QBs have the ability to still perform well even when pressured; Jacoby is not there yet. He might learn it with time and playing experience but right now, he is a rookie QB with a bad O-Line. And opposing defenses have figured that out.

Walk Worthy,

Pez
11-28-2017, 08:21 AM
He also has some bad play calling working against him as well... even when he was hitting his "outlet" receiver (usually Doyle), he was 8-10 yards deep.

Agree that pressure is subjective... not for nothing, but portion of that is him holding the ball too long.... throw it.... throw it.... throw the damn ball....

GoBigBlue88
11-28-2017, 08:23 AM
But so often he's under pressure because he identifies nothing before the snap and totally reacts. I've criticized Luck for doing the same in the past, so some of it is endemic to the (really bad) offense.

I mean, you're gonna be under pressure if there's a free blitzer and you don't identify that man before the ball is snapped.

Hoopsdoc
11-28-2017, 09:05 PM
From an article about the TEN game:

Obviously, it is a bit subjective as to when a QB is "under pressure" but it shows that Jacoby can be a pretty effective guy when he has time to survey the field and step into his delivery.

The great NFL QBs have the ability to still perform well even when pressured; Jacoby is not there yet. He might learn it with time and playing experience but right now, he is a rookie QB with a bad O-Line. And opposing defenses have figured that out.

Walk Worthy,

Brisket is not a rookie. Started 2 games for the Cheats last year.

Luck4Reich
11-29-2017, 06:47 AM
Brisket is not a rookie. Started 2 games for the Cheats last year.

That is like sleeping with Jessica Alba for a couple weeks then being forced to lay with Rosanne Barr every week.

sherck
11-29-2017, 07:40 AM
I am NOT saying that this is all on Jacoby's shoulders, but.......

Indianapolis was felled by a familiar foe on Sunday: the fourth quarter.

Positively awful would be the best way to describe the Colts' offense in football's most important period. Coming into Sunday, Indy totaled 589 offensive yards in the fourth (in 10 games), at 3.3 yards per rush and 5.1 yards per pass. Those numbers complement each other in that they're both terrible.

Indy has scored two touchdowns in the final quarter. All season.

In the loss to the Titans, the Colts had the ball three times in the fourth. They gained 5 net yards and punted three times. Get excited.
That is sad. We cannot close out a game this season for anything.

On the flip side, root for CHI (3-8) over SF (1-10), DEN (3-8) over MIA (4-7) and an Eli-less NYG (2-9) over OAK (5-6).

There is no way we are getting in front of CLE (0-11) or SF (1-10) for draft pick selection but we could get the #3 pick overall if NYG, CHI and DEN all win a few games here or there and get to at least 4 wins.

I would love to say that we will not win any more games for the season and I don't expect a victory anytime in the next 2 weeks.

However, DEN in Week 14 @ Indy is vulnerable and HOU in Week 16 @ Indy is vulnerable. Knowing Sucky Chucky, he will win both those games in order to deny the Colts a top ten pick in 2018.

Week 12 = @ JAX (7-4)
Week 13 = @ BUF (6-5)
Week 14 = DEN (3-8) Thursday Night Flaming Poop Game
Week 15 = @ BAL (6-5)
Week 16 = HOU (4-7)

Walk Worthy,

FatDT
11-29-2017, 08:08 AM
I think they'll win one more, probably Houston.

testcase448
11-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Brisset is serviceable if he survives.

The rest of the team is a total waste with few exceptions

Ownership is a fuckin drug addict imbecile, the coach makes the imbecile owner look brilliant by comparison
We have a busted, maybe finished forever "franchise" QB sucking up huge cap space..
An O- line that's indescribably bad...

A good WR 2 and good TE, a hall of fame Kicker that's 104, a great punter (thank God or it'd be even worse on SUnday's)

About 8 players on this roster should be in the NFL, the rest...

Pez
11-29-2017, 10:21 AM
I think the number is a good deal higher than 8...

Sheard, Kelly, Luck, Mewhort, Gore, Hilton, Hankins, Bulter, Simon, Sanchez, Vinatieri, Desir, Haeg, Melvin, Rogers, Hooker...

Thats 16 off the top of my head....

1965southpaw
11-29-2017, 10:23 AM
Brisset is serviceable if he survives.

The rest of the team is a total waste with few exceptions

Ownership is a fuckin drug addict imbecile, the coach makes the imbecile owner look brilliant by comparison
We have a busted, maybe finished forever "franchise" QB sucking up huge cap space..
An O- line that's indescribably bad...

A good WR 2 and good TE, a hall of fame Kicker that's 104, a great punter (thank God or it'd be even worse on SUnday's)

About 8 players on this roster should be in the NFL, the rest...

I wouldn't put Andrews contract on the considerable list of problems. Sherck can validate this but I heard yesterday that the Colts have the most money of ANY franchise available going into the off season. I don't think money will be the rate limiting factor going into next year.

sherck
11-29-2017, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't put Andrews contract on the considerable list of problems. Sherck can validate this but I heard yesterday that the Colts have the most money of ANY franchise available going into the off season. I don't think money will be the rate limiting factor going into next year.
Not true.

Lots of variables, but if the 2018 cap stayed the same as 2017 (it should go up by about $7m giving everyone $7m MORE to play with than what is listed below) and rolling in unused cap space from 2017, the top ten in free cap space for 2018 right now are:

#1. S.F. = $111.872m free cap space (rolling in $60m unused from 2017)
#2. CLE. = $108.234m free cap space (rolling in $62m unused from 2017)
#3. IND. = $083.880m free cap space (rolling in $19m unused from 2017)
#4. NYJ. = $076.095m free cap space (rolling in $21m unused from 2017)
#5. T.B. = $064.577m free cap space (rolling in $18m unused from 2017)
#6. HOU = $054.125m free cap space (rolling in $13m unused from 2017)
#7. MIN = $053.150m free cap space (rolling in $11m unused from 2017)
#8. WAS = $052.481m free cap space (rolling in $02m unused from 2017)
#9. DET = $052.282m free cap space (rolling in $07m unused from 2017)
10. TEN = $045.162m free cap space (rolling in $29m unused from 2017)

So, 1/3 the NFL teams have more than $45m right now (minus about $8m from that amount needed for rookie class, practice squad, spots 52/53 on active roster and churn space) to sign their own 2018 free agents or sign new free agents.

SF and CLE are going to run afoul of the CBA for under spending. They should be spending a rolling 5 year average of 90% of the cap amount but they are both horribly under. Since they cannot spend more than 100%, they will soon be making direct payments to the players association in the form of direct cash. Will not effect their cap space but will effect their bottom line.

The Colts are in great shape with around $75m (+ probably another $7m) to spend on our own free agents (not many are earning a big contract in 2018) or new ones.

Luck's contract is not hurting our ability to field a complete team. The legacy of Ryan Grigson and the coaching of Clappy McWoodChopper are hurting our ability to field a complete team.

Walk Worthy,