PDA

View Full Version : Quick thoughts - Jaguars

GoBigBlue88
10-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Eh, I'm pissed and I have time.

1. Jacoby Brissett was bad today. But I'll continue to remind: he's a QB2. He's going to be bad. You mitigate that by giving Marlon Mack more than 2 carries when the game matters, by designing routes that don't take 10 years to develop, and not calling the most shit-obvious screens to ever disgrace the NFL.

I get that Brissett anchors the coaching staff. It's true. He does. I get that he checks into dumb shit or doesn't throw the ball when he needs to.

But the coaching staff does nothing to put him in consistently positive positions to succeed. I saw everything I needed to with Mack's usage and the lack of any creative receiver formations whatsoever.

2. Stop trying to make Marlon Mack a fucking gadget player. He's not a gadget player. He's a running back. Hand him the fucking football like a running back. When the game matters. STOP GOING EMPTY BACK FIELD ALL THE GODDAMN TIME.

3. I'm done with people who blame TY Hilton for this team. I have no idea what anyone expects him to do that he's not doing.

4. Chester Rogers >>>>>>> Clay Aiken. Clay Aiken should stop seeing the field.

5. Ryan Kelly is hurt too often. Concerned he's going to start going the Mewhort route.

6. This is a bad OL, but it's not the worst OL in the league and it's not the reason Brissett was sacked 10 times either.

7. Thought that was a pretty lame game from Johnathan Hankins.

8. You can't convince me there isn't a practice squad ILB somewhere who's not better than either of the Colts' starting ILBs. Morrison and Bostic are awful. You can't play defense with them. Try someone else. I know that's overly simplistic, but they're so bad, I really think you have to try someone else, like the Colts did with Edwin Jackson late last year. Shit, try Edwin Jackson.

9. People are too quick to shit on Vontae Davis, but you can't convince me he's playing this season at full effort either.

10. Quincy Wilson inactive. Who could have thought that would come back to bite this team? We've said it for two fucking weeks. This isn't hindsight. We said it before last game. We said it before this game. Well guess what? Melvin goes out with a concussion, and the rest of the game is a comedy of errors between Chris Milton, Kenny Moore and TJ Green.

And before Dam says "well Wilson woulda been burned too, and...", let me just say fuck you, Dam.

11. Malik Hooker's injury was the low point for me. This is such a pointless, lost season that all we have to look forward to is guys like Hooker (and Wilson...) getting experience, and maybe making a few plays to make us feel better about the future. I hope it's not a season-ender, but damn, talk about salt in the wound.

12. Fundamentally, no one can tackle on this team. That's not just talent. It's somewhat talent, but you can tell these guys just panic once the ball is snapped. There's no organization, no gameplan, and no fucking idea what to do when guys start moving. I put a lot of that on coaching.

13. Dumbass, avoidable penalties continue to be a thing. Go figure.

14. At least Rigo Sanchez is good?

15. You have to fire Chuck Pagano after this week. I'm not falling into the trap of thinking it will happen, because it hasn't happened several other times I've thought it would/should, but you have to.

Look, the point isn't that Philbin or Chud would be better coaches. They won't be. The team may be worse under them. They're not viable long-term options. They shouldn't even really be considered. This whole staff needs nuked. BUT, you simply can't continue to reward Pagano for being as inept as he is week after fucking week. This has been going on for OVER THREE YEARS NOW. Same shit over and over and over again.

You fire him to make a point: this shit's gotta stop. He says it falls on him. OK, then, put your pink slip where his mouth is.

If you continue to keep Pagano employed, you're telling fans you don't care. You're telling fans that this is a totally wasted season in which ineptitude will be tolerated. You're discouraging fans from investing in this team now or later. You're creating a bigger problem you're going to have to combat later.

It's too late to nip this in the bud, but you can at least stop the cancer from spreading even further at this point. There are still young players who can factor into this team's future. Don't let them become infected by this clown culture.

Indiana V2
10-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Your points about Pagano being fired and why are spot on.

nate505
10-22-2017, 04:52 PM
10. Quincy Wilson inactive. Who could have thought that would come back to bite this team? We've said it for two fucking weeks. This isn't hindsight. We said it before last game. We said it before this game. Well guess what? Melvin goes out with a concussion, and the rest of the game is a comedy of errors between Chris Milton, Kenny Moore and TJ Green.

Out of all the points you made, this one is the truest fucking mystery of them all. Why one would healthy scratch their CB the team spent a 2nd round pick on, and one that's shown some promise in games, is such fucking coaching malpractice that it's hard to come up with words.

omahacolt
10-22-2017, 04:54 PM
well said gbb

i agree with virtually everything

kitekrazy
10-22-2017, 05:58 PM
If you continue to keep Pagano employed, you're telling fans you don't care. You're telling fans that this is a totally wasted season in which ineptitude will be tolerated. You're discouraging fans from investing in this team now or later. You're creating a bigger problem you're going to have to combat later.

It's too late to nip this in the bud, but you can at least stop the cancer from spreading even further at this point. There are still young players who can factor into this team's future. Don't let them become infected by this clown culture.

I have to slightly disagree. Without Luck most fans should assume the season is lost.

All 3 need to go. It's obvious they can't adjust what they do to match the talent they have.

I think Ballard and Irsay knew it would turn out like this. Did people really believe the lies about Luck before the season began?

omahacolt
10-22-2017, 06:03 PM
I have to slightly disagree. Without Luck most fans should assume the season is lost.

All 3 need to go. It's obvious they can't adjust what they do to match the talent they have.

I think Ballard and Irsay knew it would turn out like this. Did people really believe the lies about Luck before the season began?

what lies about luck? i don't know if there were any lies. either irsay lied or there was a setback in august. i don't know which one. i tend to think that irsay lied and he was never going to play until october at the earliest. then he had the setback we just saw. but i really don't know

apballin
10-22-2017, 06:16 PM
#13 is the best point

#15 is a classic Colt fan over reaction

Colt Classic
10-22-2017, 06:18 PM
After the 2011 season, I'm inclined to believe that everything from January on was a lie. Irsay knew it was going to be well into the season before Luck would be ready, but that kills early season gate revenue + concession money as well as the optimism for the season, so instead they slowly ease into saying Luck is out for the year without ever actually saying as much until the season is so far gone that it's obvious to everyone. Hell, you had people like JMV thinking Luck was questionable/possible to start opening day.

omahacolt
10-22-2017, 06:20 PM
#13 is the best point

shut the fuck up

apballin
10-22-2017, 06:25 PM
shut the fuck up

and this is classic Omaha when he has nothing to back up his bullshit arguement

Luck4Reich
10-22-2017, 06:30 PM
and this is classic Omaha when he has nothing to back up his bullshit arguement

I thought Dam blowing Pags was bad. You are blowing Pags and Dam

apballin
10-22-2017, 06:31 PM
I thought Dam blowing Pags was bad. You are blowing Pags and Dam

Nah I just don't cry like a little bitch when things look bad

Luck4Reich
10-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Nah I just don't cry like a little bitch when things look bad

Omaha stated the obvious.. how was that crying?

You and Damn are only little bitches here.

apballin
10-22-2017, 06:35 PM
Omaha stated the obvious.. how was that crying?

You and Damn are only little bitches here.

Exactly what did he say that was obvious?

Indiana V2
10-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Exactly what did he say that was obvious?

If you can't see it Ashley, then there's no helping you, go sit at the kiddies table.

apballin
10-22-2017, 06:46 PM
If you can't see it Ashley, then there's no helping you, go sit at the kiddies table.

Pagano ain't getting fired in season so hows that obvious?

Indiana V2
10-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Pagano ain't getting fired in season so hows that obvious?

It's obvious that he should be fired, and it's obvious he's lost this team, and he will not survive the season.

Racehorse
10-22-2017, 07:13 PM
It's obvious that he should be fired, and it's obvious he's lost this team, and he will not survive the season.

I am hoping that he doesn't survive the night, but if they wait til the bye week, I guess I can wait.

apballin
10-22-2017, 07:13 PM

We'll see

apballin
10-22-2017, 07:14 PM
I am hoping that he doesn't survive the night, but if they wait til the bye week, I guess I can wait.

Or you can wait until after week 17

nate505
10-22-2017, 07:14 PM
#13 is the best point

Not even close. He's the worst coach the Colts have ever had at least since they've moved here, and he's the worst by a significant margin.

GoBigBlue88
10-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Overreaction to three years' worth of evidence? Get the fuck out of here. Seriously. Get the fuck out.

apballin
10-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Not even close. He's the worst coach the Colts have ever had at least since they've moved here, and he's the worst by a significant margin.

as opposed to when they we're drafting in the top 10 every year?

and Colts stood for count on losing this sunday

apballin
10-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Overreaction to three years' worth of evidence? Get the fuck out of here. Seriously. Get the fuck out.

Fuck that, Manning and Lucks early success has spoiled the fuck out of all of you

Indiana V2
10-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Fuck that, Manning and Lucks early success has spoiled the fuck out of all of you

We had a prime opportunity to create another dominate run when we first drafted Luck, and Pagano and Grigson pi$$ed it all away.

Indiana V2
10-22-2017, 07:27 PM

And many of us remember what it was like to be a Colts fan before Manning, and Pagano has sunk us back into those times.

GoBigBlue88
10-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Ignoring dumbass posters on this board who are clearly going to say dumb shit regardless of logic ... one thing I forgot to add is that I'm really starting to question what Chris Ballard IS in this franchise anyway.

Is he a GM? That means ultimately everyone answers to him, right? If that's the case...

Why did Tolzien/Green start in Week 1? Why has Wilson been inactive last two weeks? See, that makes me think either Ballard can't evaluate his own roster (unlikely), or Ballard can't override Pagano. Which makes me wonder what the hell is the point of a GM who cannot veto his coach.

I think Irsay still calls way too many of these shots. He needs to stay out of the football operation once he hires a GM. Or if he doesn't trust him GM, he needs to hire someone above him who is not named Irsay.

Indiana V2
10-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Ignoring dumbass posters on this board who are clearly going to say dumb shit regardless of logic ... one thing I forgot to add is that I'm really starting to question what Chris Ballard IS in this franchise anyway.

Is he a GM? That means ultimately everyone answers to him, right? If that's the case...

Why did Tolzien/Green start in Week 1? Why has Wilson been inactive last two weeks? See, that makes me think either Ballard can't evaluate his own roster (unlikely), or Ballard can't override Pagano. Which makes me wonder what the hell is the point of a GM who cannot veto his coach.

I think Irsay still calls way too many of these shots. He needs to stay out of the football operation once he hires a GM. Or if he doesn't trust him GM, he needs to hire someone above him who is not named Irsay.

Good point on Ballard. I won't dump on him quite yet, since he's been here less than a year, but he really needs to take the reigns away from Pagano if Irsay won't fire him.

Racehorse
10-22-2017, 07:41 PM
as opposed to when they we're drafting in the top 10 every year?

and Colts stood for count on losing this sunday

Thanks to your hero, it now does once again.

omahacolt
10-22-2017, 07:44 PM

I think Ballard is doing what he should. Let his coach make some calls on the roster. They have to work together. I think Ballard is giving pagano some slack in the rope to see how tight he wants to wrap it around his neck. And pagano just spurred his horse out from under himself

GoBigBlue88
10-22-2017, 07:51 PM
I think Ballard is doing what he should. Let his coach make some calls on the roster. They have to work together. I think Ballard is giving pagano some slack in the rope to see how tight he wants to wrap it around his neck. And pagano just spurred his horse out from under himself

At what cost though? That's where Irsay has to step in and make a damn decision for the health of this franchise, who reports to who, etc.

He's giving Pagano rope to hang himself, OK, but in the process, Pagano is wasting games for Quincy Wilson, Marlon Mack, etc.

Puck
10-22-2017, 07:57 PM

Starting to believe this was the plan all along. Give Pagano this yr waiting on the HC they want so they didn't have to buy out both Grigs and Paganos contract the same yr.... knowing they had a massive amount of money for FA next yr and the possibility of having a top 5 draft pick in which to trade for multiple draft picks with Pagano as the coach... not playing Luck but giving the fans hope he will play so the tickets get sold..... tickets are sold. irsay and Ballard get to be the heros when they do fire Pagano. But they are waiting on the guy they want.

Who are they going to replace him with that is on the staff that is not worse?

I think they are waiting on Harbaugh. I'm not endorsing him, it just seems to be Irsays way. But if he ever wanted Manning in any capacity it won't be Harbaugh. I doubt they could work together. JMO

Forrest Blue
10-22-2017, 08:06 PM
From a penthouse franchise to an outhouse franchise.

omahacolt
10-22-2017, 08:23 PM
At what cost though? That's where Irsay has to step in and make a damn decision for the health of this franchise, who reports to who, etc.

He's giving Pagano rope to hang himself, OK, but in the process, Pagano is wasting games for Quincy Wilson, Marlon Mack, etc.

As a gm, don't you have to set a boundary of authority? If you can't trust your coach to make game day decisions then just fire the coach. You have to allow them to make mistakes. There should be open dialogue as to who is inactive but to me that should be a coaching decision.

The gm should have ultimate say but his reach should be limited.

GoBigBlue88
10-22-2017, 08:45 PM
As a gm, don't you have to set a boundary of authority? If you can't trust your coach to make game day decisions then just fire the coach. You have to allow them to make mistakes. There should be open dialogue as to who is inactive but to me that should be a coaching decision.

The gm should have ultimate say but his reach should be limited.

But the GM can't fire the coach here.

Again -- I just think the Colts' power structure is messed up. I don't know how it works for sure, but I would think Ballard doesn't have the power he really needs to have, and Irsay has too much.

omahacolt
10-22-2017, 09:02 PM
But the GM can't fire the coach here.

Again -- I just think the Colts' power structure is messed up. I don't know how it works for sure, but I would think Ballard doesn't have the power he really needs to have, and Irsay has too much.
I don't know about that. I absolutely think Ballard can call for his firing. I just think this is a weird situation as how late the hiring of Ballard went down

Butter
10-22-2017, 09:13 PM
I don't know about that. I absolutely think Ballard can call for his firing. I just think this is a weird situation as how late the hiring of Ballard went down

I concur. Irsay got Ballard in too late to get a Coach they wanted, so this year is a loss. That is what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

OneVoice
10-22-2017, 09:34 PM
The biggest reason Pagano should be fired Mon morning is because it should've already happened this summer.

Butter
10-22-2017, 09:38 PM
The biggest reason Pagano should be fired Mon morning is because it should've already happened this summer.

Ultimately this!

kitekrazy
10-22-2017, 10:47 PM

I'm starting to believe Chud and Mona are even worse.

mluntz01
10-23-2017, 08:32 AM
It's getting worse by the week. Please get rid of this clown!

Luck4Reich
10-23-2017, 08:35 AM
It's getting worse by the week. Please get rid of this clown!

The worst part is that Irsay ever thought it would get better.

DrSpaceman
10-23-2017, 08:36 AM
That was pathetic.

The score was not as bad but this was on par with the Saints game in 2011.

Pagano should have been gone long ago, but today should be it if you needed any other proof.

Quincy Wilson needs to be on the damn field, I don't care if he can play special teams. The corners behind him are pathetic. The first long pass play, the WR just ran right by him. If it was anyone but Blake Bortles at QB, that's an easy TD.

That 4th and two play.........you call a time out, then you still have to rush to get the play off and have to try a QB sneak for two yards? Awful.

5 times the Jags were pinned back inside their own ten yard line. they scored 13 points on 3 of those drives, drove to the 50 and turned it over once and the other punted. Those are times the D have to take advantage and get a stop and get the ball back

Brissette is proving he is a back up QB in the this league. The OL did not play great yesterday, but many of those sacks were on him. You have to throw the ball quicker and find the hot read and get rid of it when you know its coming. I don't blame him for the losses, but there is a reason he was a 3rd stringer and now is a back up.

Marlon Mack, just get him the ball. I don't care if he makes mistakes and drops. The offense is pathetic right now and he and TY Hilton, who you can't get the ball to, are the only dynamic players on this offense. He has not been a great pass catcher, but hand off the ball to him and let him run it off tackle, outside, use his speed.

Its a lost season. Rest Luck for next year. Its obvious he won't be back anyway before week 10 and the season will definitely be out of reach by then. Take the top 10 pick, draft for linebackers and OL. Build for next year.

DrSpaceman
10-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Oh and penalties......what were there, 5 in the first 10 minutes? 3 personal foul penalties? One I thought was petty and a cheap call, but you can't have personal foul penalties when you already have a bad defense.

DrSpaceman
10-23-2017, 08:38 AM
I'm starting to believe Chud and Mona are even worse.

I don't think anyone on this coaching staff is worth keeping.

Luck4Reich
10-23-2017, 08:40 AM
The score would have been worse if there had been a QB not named Bortles.

Hell Tolzien could hang 21 on the Colts D. He probably throws a pick 6 though

apballin
10-24-2017, 07:45 PM

Oh someone that doesn't agree is automatically a dumbass

I know you know your shit, I come here to talk Colts because it's not watered down bullshit, but goddam when did you MF's get so sensitive just because I don't want to place blame where the rest of you do doesn't make me a dumbass and we all know Pagano is gone but to blame all this on him is flat wrong this season was set up for failure

Dam8610
10-24-2017, 08:11 PM

This directly contradicts what several posters here have said regarding coaching and GM responsibilities. In fact, most here (I think including you) have said that no head coach should tolerate a GM telling them which players to play. I really wish people would pick a position and stick with it.

GoBigBlue88
10-24-2017, 08:45 PM
This directly contradicts what several posters here have said regarding coaching and GM responsibilities. In fact, most here (I think including you) have said that no head coach should tolerate a GM telling them which players to play. I really wish people would pick a position and stick with it.

So to be clear: you're cool with Pagano starting Tolzien/Green in Week 1, it was Pagano's decision, and it's Ballard's fault it didn't work out?

Racehorse
10-24-2017, 08:49 PM

After the shit show we saw this weekend, this is all you have to say? I guess you must FINALLY agree with us. About freaking time!

HoosierinFL
10-24-2017, 10:40 PM
The score would have been worse if there had been a QB not named Bortles.

Hell Tolzien could hang 21 on the Colts D. He probably throws a pick 6 though

This is why they kept him at #1 all off season. He was beating up on our bad defense

testcase448
10-26-2017, 03:29 PM
From a penthouse franchise to an outhouse franchise.

From owner to ball boy...

Colt Classic
10-26-2017, 07:12 PM
So to be clear: you're cool with Pagano starting Tolzien/Green in Week 1, it was Pagano's decision, and it's Ballard's fault it didn't work out?

Is Ballard really supposed to undermine the coach days before the start of the season? How would any decision from the coach ever be respected if the GM can just veto it with enough murmurs from the peanut gallery? They had to at least put on a happy face, "all is well" look to start the season.

Dam8610
10-27-2017, 07:13 PM

It's Tolzien's fault it didn't work out because he was beyond awful, Pagano picked the best of two bad options, both of which would've seem him soundly criticized by everyone here and most Colts fans since Colts fans will find any way they can to criticize Pagano, and while not necessarily Ballard's "fault", he exacerbated the situation by cutting Morris and bringing Brissett in as late as he did, leaving Pagano with the aforementioned two bad options.