PDA

View Full Version : Doyel article sums it up

DrSpaceman
10-09-2017, 08:47 AM
I think Doyel pretty well hits the nail on the head with this article and the state of the Colts.

You see a whole lot of individually good players, even on defense. The DL, Hooker and Wilson when healthy, Davis, there are good players there. LBers I think we all know still need work, but the rest of the D really isn't bad talent wise.

The scheme though and the game plans are just bad. The coaching is going to hold this team back no matter who is on defense.

Its been evidence for two years or more Pagano needs to go. Nothing new that hasn't been said before, but worth repeating once again

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/10/08/vinatieri-brissett-marlon-mack-lead-inept-colts-past-browns-ot/739786001/

Spike
10-09-2017, 10:03 AM
I think Doyel pretty well hits the nail on the head with this article and the state of the Colts.

You see a whole lot of individually good players, even on defense. The DL, Hooker and Wilson when healthy, Davis, there are good players there. LBers I think we all know still need work, but the rest of the D really isn't bad talent wise.

The scheme though and the game plans are just bad. The coaching is going to hold this team back no matter who is on defense.

Its been evidence for two years or more Pagano needs to go. Nothing new that hasn't been said before, but worth repeating once again

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/10/08/vinatieri-brissett-marlon-mack-lead-inept-colts-past-browns-ot/739786001/

Pagano gets rid of all his coaches and nothing changes. The problem IS Pagano. Everybody sees it except that idiot Irsay.

GoBigBlue88
10-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Pagano gets rid of all his coaches and nothing changes. The problem IS Pagano. Everybody sees it except that idiot Irsay.

"Nope; it's the players/GM/all the other coaches." - Dam

Oldcolt
10-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Having Pagano just ruins watching football with him running the team. With even an average head coach I would get enjoyment out of watching the development of what seems to be a pretty nice infusion of talent last season. Mack, the new secondary guys and the defensive line all would give hope for better things to come this year. If we could just hold on till Luck returns who knows. But Pagano is such a piece of shit as a coach that I have zero hope for any development or shot at doing something special later on in the year. Irsay please fire this guy and put us all out of our misery

Maniac
10-09-2017, 11:56 AM
It will be nice if we ever get some decent ILB'ers to where the safeties don't have to try to cover their screw ups all the time.

HoosierinFL
10-09-2017, 12:20 PM
I've thought for a couple years now that the team is under-performing it's talent level, even with some of the roster deficiencies that are well known.
There is just no discipline or accountability. Even among the better players on the roster, they are wildly inconsistent. This includes even Luck. I think a huge part of his development has been screwed up by Pagano.
He's never learned to read and react to NFL defenses like Manning, but that's because he's never had a coach who could teach him that, because all his coaches have sucked.

rcubed
10-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Pagano's response to the punt-lateral play: "It looked like it looked."

Sums up pagano's coaching pretty well. Looks like shit.

Dam8610
10-09-2017, 12:31 PM
It will be nice if we ever get some decent ILB'ers to where the safeties don't have to try to cover their screw ups all the time.

But it couldn't possibly be that a defensive scheme that relies on having talent at the LB position could look bad because the level of LB talent on this team has ranged from bad-average. Clearly coaching makes slow ILBs unable to cover big athletic TEs and average at best OLBs unable to generate an elite pass rush.

People see these problems, yet still blame the team's problems with stopping the passing game in crucial situations or containing speed backs, especially when they get into the open field, on coaching. That's mind boggling.

Maniac
10-09-2017, 12:37 PM
But it couldn't possibly be that a defensive scheme that relies on having talent at the LB position could look bad because the level of LB talent on this team has ranged from bad-average. Clearly coaching makes slow ILBs unable to cover big athletic TEs and average at best OLBs unable to generate an elite pass rush.

People see these problems, yet still blame the team's problems with stopping the passing game in crucial situations or containing speed backs, especially when they get into the open field, on coaching. That's mind boggling.

Don't try to use my statement to make some mind-numbingly stupid point in your favor.

Yes, they need talent at the ILB'ers. They also need better coaching. Both are fucking awful. You are an imbecile if you can't see that coaching is a problem.

Kray007
10-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Pagano's response to the punt-lateral play: "It looked like it looked."

Sums up pagano's coaching pretty well. Looks like shit.

Every special teams coach has half a dozen, or so, gadget plays up his sleeve. I have no problem with trotting one out in a game vs the 49'ers.

Kray007
10-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Don't try to use my statement to make some mind-numbingly stupid point in your favor.

Yes, they need talent at the ILB'ers. They also need better coaching. Both are fucking awful. You are an imbecile if you can't see that coaching is a problem.

If you're looking for a coach who doesn't go into a prevent defense with a 14 point lead and 8 minutes left in the game, you're gonna be looking for a long time.

Pez
10-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Maybe it's me, but I dont think there is any real leadership on this team, and that starts with Pags and goes down.

Why is Andrew Luck our offensive captain when he's out for 6-8 weeks?

Who is our defensive captain? Why are we the only team in the league without one?

Yea sure, these things are not important in the grand scheme of things, but Perhaps if TY Hilton were an offensive captain it would be a signal that more is expected of him that individual efforts.

I wish someone would actually beat Pagano one of these weeks instead of just his dead horse.

DrSpaceman
10-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Every special teams coach has half a dozen, or so, gadget plays up his sleeve. I have no problem with trotting one out in a game vs the 49'ers.

That is just a horrible play no matter who you are playing or when it is tried.

You sometimes see this tried on kick offs, but not on punts. And not when Brady had plenty of room to return it on his own. And not when there is a defender over there waiting on the lateral.

Maniac
10-09-2017, 02:49 PM
If you're looking for a coach who doesn't go into a prevent defense with a 14 point lead and 8 minutes left in the game, you're gonna be looking for a long time.

That's FAR from the only reason Pagano is a horrible head coach. There are many, many reasons.

HoosierinFL
10-09-2017, 05:27 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's a done deal, and I'm tired of talking about it. The entire coaching staff is incompetent and needs to go. I don't wanna keep reading the same shit after each game. I'm just gonna start looking forward to Black Monday, whichever Monday it happens to be.

omahacolt
10-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Maybe it's me, but I dont think there is any real leadership on this team, and that starts with Pags and goes down.

Why is Andrew Luck our offensive captain when he's out for 6-8 weeks?

Who is our defensive captain? Why are we the only team in the league without one?

Yea sure, these things are not important in the grand scheme of things, but Perhaps if TY Hilton were an offensive captain it would be a signal that more is expected of him that individual efforts.

I wish someone would actually beat Pagano one of these weeks instead of just his dead horse.
you are right

there is zero leadership on this team. i agree with that completely

Puck
10-09-2017, 06:14 PM
This is it too me.

Otherwise, the offense is hopeless. Whatever offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski was calling, it worked only because the 49ers continually snuffed it out, forcing Brissett or Mack to improvise. And the defense? My word is defensive coordinator Ted Monachino in over his head. Or maybe he’s just handcuffed to use the defense favored by Pagano, who is completely in over his head. Give the guy Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in Baltimore, and he’s a genius. Give him anybody else here in Indianapolis, and he’s the architect of some of the worst defenses in the NFL, year after year after year.

Chud sucks. I've said it ever since he got here.

And the best part is about having Lewis and Reed. You know why he looked liked a genius then? Because Ed no Ray told Clappy to GTF away from the defense and practice clapping. Lewis has stated that he and Ed and a couple of other players ran that defense and made the decisions. And they didn't need a D.C.

JUST FIRE THIS WORTHLESS POS ALRREADY

Racehorse
10-09-2017, 06:17 PM
And the defense? My word is defensive coordinator Ted Monachino in over his head. Or maybe he’s just handcuffed to use the defense favored by Pagano, who is completely in over his head. Give the guy Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in Baltimore, and he’s a genius. Give him anybody else here in Indianapolis, and he’s the architect of some of the worst defenses in the NFL, year after year after year.

Dude nailed it!

Racehorse
10-09-2017, 06:21 PM
don't try to use my statement to make some mind-numbingly stupid point in your favor.

Yes, they need talent at the ilb'ers. They also need better coaching. Both are fucking awful. You are an imbecile.fify

HoosierinFL
10-09-2017, 07:59 PM
This is it too me.

Chud sucks. I've said it ever since he got here.

And the best part is about having Lewis and Reed. You know why he looked liked a genius then? Because Ed no Ray told Clappy to GTF away from the defense and practice clapping. Lewis has stated that he and Ed and a couple of other players ran that defense and made the decisions. And they didn't need a D.C.

JUST FIRE THIS WORTHLESS POS ALRREADY

Just remember, Pagano only spent 1 year as their coordinator. it's not like he was the architect of anything. Rex Ryan was the architect of that defense and made it what it was, with the help of all time great players like Reed and Lewis and Suggs. All Pagano had to do (and Mattison for a couple years before him) was keep that going. The players were veterans at that point and already knew what to do.

1965southpaw
10-09-2017, 08:41 PM
That's FAR from the only reason Pagano is a horrible head coach. There are many, many reasons.

Here Jesus, let me help you write that list.....:cool:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/10/9/16444870/pagano-did-all-he-could-to-give-the-49ers-game-away?ref=yfp

kitekrazy
10-09-2017, 09:09 PM
I've thought for a couple years now that the team is under-performing it's talent level, even with some of the roster deficiencies that are well known.
There is just no discipline or accountability. Even among the better players on the roster, they are wildly inconsistent. This includes even Luck. I think a huge part of his development has been screwed up by Pagano.
He's never learned to read and react to NFL defenses like Manning, but that's because he's never had a coach who could teach him that, because all his coaches have sucked.

They call those player coaches.

daedge
10-09-2017, 09:18 PM
There is nothing worse than watching Pagano's post-win speeches to the team. You can only cringe the entire way through.

Colts And Orioles
10-10-2017, 08:42 PM
There is nothing worse than watching Pagano's post-win speeches to the team. You can only cringe the entire way through.

o

As nauseating as that may be, it always beats the alternative (the Colts losing a game.)

o

nate505
10-10-2017, 09:39 PM

I could go with that theory if the Colts were significantly better than the 9ers and would have won the game by 20+ points.

Since they aren't, that move could have been an abject and total disaster, for no real gain whatsoever.

nate505
10-10-2017, 09:40 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's a done deal, and I'm tired of talking about it.
Is it?

It should be, and it should be an absolute and total complete no-brainer.

That was the case last year too, and look who's still the coach.

FatDT
10-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Is it?

It should be, and it should be an absolute and total complete no-brainer.

That was the case last year too, and look who's still the coach.
It was the case two years ago.

Hoopsdoc
10-12-2017, 02:46 PM
you are right

there is zero leadership on this team. i agree with that completely

I'll never forget Peyton pissing off the whole team in the week before the super bowl by not letting wives or girlfriends near the players. He wanted everyone focused only on football. He could be a giant asshole sometimes but he was also a great great leader.

This team sorely needs someone like that.

GoBigBlue88
10-13-2017, 10:07 AM
I'll never forget Peyton pissing off the whole team in the week before the super bowl by not letting wives or girlfriends near the players. He wanted everyone focused only on football. He could be a giant asshole sometimes but he was also a great great leader.

This team sorely needs someone like that.

I was just thinking about that in the week all his former teammates were talking about him leading up to the statue. Dude was a GIGANTIC asshole. And you know what? It's the reason the Colts are still in Indy, and Indy is the city it is right now.

He created a culture you had to be totally bought into. I think when you have hardasses like like Manning, and at CFB guys like Saban, it creates a culture where you have to be mentally tough just to make it through a practice. So when it comes to the game, that's just another rep for you.

I have no idea what Andrew Luck is like behind the scenes -- I have a feeling it's misrepresented a bit -- but he needs to have some of those Peyton qualities in him as he continues his career.

DrSpaceman
10-13-2017, 10:48 AM
I was just thinking about that in the week all his former teammates were talking about him leading up to the statue. Dude was a GIGANTIC asshole. And you know what? It's the reason the Colts are still in Indy, and Indy is the city it is right now.

He created a culture you had to be totally bought into. I think when you have hardasses like like Manning, and at CFB guys like Saban, it creates a culture where you have to be mentally tough just to make it through a practice. So when it comes to the game, that's just another rep for you.

I have no idea what Andrew Luck is like behind the scenes -- I have a feeling it's misrepresented a bit -- but he needs to have some of those Peyton qualities in him as he continues his career.

As much as players get crap for it when they do it, best thing Luck could do is tell Irsay, Pagano needs to go or I do next season, if it comes to that.

Butter
10-13-2017, 08:56 PM

That is a huge part of solid leadership. A great leader is not loved, nor hated, they are respected. Sometimes that looks like being an asshole, but they are not there to make friends.