PDA

View Full Version : Quick thoughts - 49ers

GoBigBlue88
10-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Just 'cuz I have time.

1. Some thoughts on Jacob Brissett. The headline: I really like the kid. He's a super high end QB2. That means he's going to do a few QB2 things per game. You're going to have to live with that. The INT was brutal, but again, I just think QB2 when I see that. The 95 percent rest of the game is so, so impressive. I feel infinitely more confident with Brissett at QB than I did with Hasselbeck there, for instance. He just seems to stand tall, doesn't panic, and feels capable of making every throw.

Flaws are, of course: he's still late on some, he still doesn't step up when he should, and he places entirely too much trust in Kamar Aiken.

2. I hated so much of that offensive gameplan. This team struggles to execute basic things right now. Why would you make the gameplan any more complex than it has to be?

There's also still a disturbing lack of designed plays for T.Y. Hilton, Marlon Mack, Donte Moncrief, etc. There were more designed plays for Darrell Daniels than any of those guys today.

Looking down the road: I hate this argument we'll hear that the Colts shouldn't fire Chud because Luck doesn't need a new OC/offense to deal with. If there was ever a time to pull that trigger, it's now.

3. Colts finally figured out what everyone on this board already knew: Marlon Mack is dynamite. You have to find a way to get the ball in his hands.

It's still beyond absurd that Robert Turbin is the 3rd-and-long back over Mack. If those screens or draws go to Mack, they at least have a chance.

Beyond alarming that Chud didn't figure out that Mack is an outside runner until Week 5.

4. Yeah, T.Y. Hilton can be a bit of a headcase. But I love how he plays pissed, and it's scary how effortlessly he can almost find a 200 yard game. Don't get me wrong -- I'd rather have Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne in their prime. But when Chud remembers he exists and when Brissett has a little time, nobody can stick with Hilton deep unless they have a lot of schematic help.

5. I still don't see what's so special about Kamar Aiken to get him the looks he does. He did OK today, but I'd much rather see those targets go Moncrief's way.

6. Everyone was talking about how much Colts missed Jack Doyle today ... I actually thought today was more emblematic of how much they miss Erik Swoope. Brandon Williams & Darrell Daniels have been fine, maybe above expectation even, but neither can punish a LB playing in space. Swoope would be such a bit boost to this passing game.

7. I understand not everything can be fixed in one offseason, but it's pretty embarrassing that Jeremy Vagisil made it to the regular season as a starter.

Also alarming that Jack Mewhort continues to struggle as much as he does. It might be some injury rust, but he looks immensely replaceable right now.

If you watched Ryan Kelly specifically, he was pretty damn good today.

8. It's the 49ers, I realize, but Joe Staley is no scrub, and it's refreshing to see a Colts defense that can generate some level of pressure. Granted, it's not intense pressure or Freeney/Mathis level pressure. But it's enough to affect the passer.

9. Jabaal Sheard had a helluva game. One of his sacks (on a 2-man rush........) probably prevented a big play, because the defense wasn't even close to lined up or on the same page.

10. Unless he just doesn't know the defense well enough (and that's a possibility), I don't know why you wouldn't start giving Jeremiah George more snaps. He's a lot more effective pressure the QB than any other ILB options, and can't be any worse in space.

11. Thought it was a pretty bad game for Colts DBs. These guys still can't play a rub or crossing route to save their lives. Thought Farley and Melvin had a few nice plays, but it was a particularly rough outing for Butler and Hooker today. Hooker looked a bit overwhelmed to me.

12. Rigo Sanchez may be better than Pat McAfee.

13. I'm surprised Chuck Pagano didn't challenge Marlon Mack's 25-yard TD run.

Indiana V2
10-08-2017, 05:38 PM

Lol!

1965southpaw
10-08-2017, 05:40 PM
14. aV is still money. He's the last remaining Colt from the Manning era. So glad we could count on him to pull out the win from the jaws of a Pagano induced defeat.

FatDT
10-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Since Pagano got here there team consistently doesn't play their best OL. We've had three OL coaches and 2.5 OCs and still the wrong players start. No reason for Vagisil should be starting. No reason Haeg should be playing RT.

testcase448
10-08-2017, 08:04 PM
1. Some thoughts on Jacob Brissett. The headline: I really like the kid. He's a super high end QB2. That means he's going to do a few QB2 things per game. You're going to have to live with that. The INT was brutal, but again, I just think QB2 when I see that. The 95 percent rest of the game is so, so impressive. I feel infinitely more confident with Brissett at QB than I did with Hasselbeck there, for instance. He just seems to stand tall, doesn't panic, and feels capable of making every throw.

Flaws are, of course: he's still late on some, he still doesn't step up when he should, and he places entirely too much trust in Kamar Aiken.

This !

6. Everyone was talking about how much Colts missed Jack Doyle today ... I actually thought today was more emblematic of how much they miss Erik Swoope. Brandon Williams & Darrell Daniels have been fine, maybe above expectation even, but neither can punish a LB playing in space. Swoope would be such a bit boost to this passing game.

Good point

12. Rigo Sanchez may be better than Pat McAfee.

No but a good replacement

lol really? Pag is a moron

1965southpaw
10-08-2017, 08:53 PM
OMG, I finally wasn't so pissed off about this game and then I listened to Pags post game interview......"credit a great San Francisco team.....took 66 min to beat them but it felt like 166 min....We have some things to clean up and we'll go back and look at film but we'll never apologize for a victory. The goal we set for ourselves is to be 1-0 to start the second quarter of the season and we accomplished that goal and it's a credit to the grit of these guys. They just don't quit.......blah, blah, blah"

Really.....who's going to clean up the bone headed decision making? Einsteins definition of insanity....Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.....but with Pags we trust the process, we do what we do, the process has no fear....my recommendation is that we start cleaning up by cleaning out Pags desk. There no film study needed. End Rant.

Spike
10-08-2017, 09:22 PM
OMG, I finally wasn't so pissed off about this game and then I listened to Pags post game interview......"credit a great San Francisco team.....took 66 min to beat them but it felt like 166 min....We have some things to clean up and we'll go back and look at film but we'll never apologize for a victory. The goal we set for ourselves is to be 1-0 to start the second quarter of the season and we accomplished that goal and it's a credit to the grit of these guys. They just don't quit.......blah, blah, blah"

Really.....who's going to clean up the bone headed decision making? Einsteins definition of insanity....Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.....but with Pags we trust the process, we do what we do, the process has no fear....my recommendation is that we start cleaning up by cleaning out Pags desk. There no film study needed. End Rant.

Typical Pags dumb ass post game. This clueless bastard still doesn't understand that he is the one holding back this team. If I was in the room I would have asked the MF why he is so clueless on when and when not to call a time out. To call the 49ers a great team is fucking ridiculous, they are 0-5 you dumb ass. I seriously can't stand that dumb ass anymore.

YDFL Commish
10-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Pags,says the same shit every week. This team has tuned him out.

Indiana V2
10-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Pags,says the same shit every week. This team has tuned him out.

So have the fans.

FatDT
10-09-2017, 12:54 AM
How many more years does he need to look at the film and clean up the mistakes?

mluntz01
10-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Just 'cuz I have time.

If I could see that wasn't a TD, I hope to god Pagano could see it too!

Coltsalr
10-09-2017, 08:29 AM
How many more years does he need to look at the film and clean up the mistakes?

The same amount of time it takes for Irsay to see that Pagano is incompetent, apparently.