PDA

View Full Version : Quick thoughts - Seahawks

GoBigBlue88
10-02-2017, 08:14 AM
1. I only saw the first 3 quarters, but that was enough for me. Uverse here, so no WTHR. Had to watch a stream, which crapped out at the end of the 3rd quarter. Sounds like for the better.

2. Actually thought there were some notable positives...

Defensive line continues to look legit.

Defensive backs are a good unit. Farley making me look dumb for saying I didn't see anything more than a special-teamer in him. He looked pretty rangy last night. Malik Hooker just finds his way to INTs. The back-end of this defense is pretty solid, although you can nitpick about needing a better third safety to rotate in or Vontae Davis not being physical enough in his first game back.

The kid who came in at center did a heckuva job considering the circumstances. Leads me to believe Joe Philbin does a pretty decent job preparing these guys, and most issues just come down to talent. He should have been a wreck. He wasn't.

Sanchez looks like the real deal.

Future of this team still looks bright, IMO. I think my biggest takeaway in the early season is that Ballard -- despite a few misses you're just going to have with young GMs -- really does have a good eye. The QB mess was egregious and someone will have an interesting story to tell there one day. But the guys he brought in largely look like guys who will keep you in any ballgame Andrew Luck is under center.

3. This team really misses Marlon Mack, IMO. Even though he's struggled in early season, there's just no surprise element to Colts backfield right now. Everyone else runs at the exact same pace as Gore.

4. Jacoby Brissett regressed to the mean ... which you had to expect, on the road in SEA. I like that the pick-six didn't destroy his confidence. I like that he does play the part, not just look the part, of a leader. I don't like that he doesn't climb the pocket or seem to have particularly good vision, but honestly, that's why he's a high-end QB2 and not a QB1. QB2s eventually give you QB2 play. And that's fine. This team needs a high-end QB2; I still think Brissett is exactly that.

5. I do wish Brissett would stop making Kamar Aiken his go-to guy. If you're going to be throwing interceptable passes, I'd prefer they be thrown to Hilton or Moncrief instead. You at least give yourself a chance.

6. A bit concerned that Jack Doyle got paid and then took his eye off the prize a bit. He needs to hit the reset button on himself; he's not playing to his contract. You can say the same about Jon Hankins, btw.

7. Unsurprisingly, ILBs are still the fatal flaw of the defense. Jon Bostic does an admirable job and is underrated for how he organizes folks, but he's the cream of that crop, and that crop features a player who shouldn't ever see a base package formation in Antonio Morrison. Morrison is awful, and looks more awful every game.

8. I didn't expect it in Year One with Ballard, so I'm not overly concerned, but this team needs to figure out some kind of return game. Quan Bray is maybe the most boring, unspectacular return option in the league right now. Some of that is just a lack of blocking ever set up for him. Some of it is just Bray not really looking that explosive as he's come back from injury.

9. Vujnovich and Haeg remain the weak points on the OL, IMO. I think Ballard needs to upgrade in free agency next year. He needs the draft capital for pass-rushers and athletic ILBs.

10. This team is no worse than 2-2 with Luck, has an outside chance of being 3-1. I think the roster is ahead of where I expected it to be, believe it or not. I really don't think a major rebuild is needed, although clearly EDGE, OL & ILB need serious attention.

The only reason we're giving this team shit is because Pagano is an obvious lame duck coach and Irsay said some incredibly dumb things before the season begins. Put in a new coaching staff and get the owner to stop writing checks his actions can't cash, and I think most people are at least content with the direction of this franchise.

DrSpaceman
10-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Agree with all you said, except the run D and collapsed late in the second half.

I think what we are seeing is flashes of individual potential from a whole bunch of players. What they struggle with is playing a whole game and everyone playing well together at the same time.

ANd much of that still comes down to coaching

I didn't expect a win, so that is not disappointing.

But I have never been so filled with hope based on one half of football only to see it all utterly and totally collapse in about 20 minutes of awful football.

There are still too many injuries, too much inexperience and too little quality coaching, along with continued OL problems, for this team to beat quality opponents.

But I am still hopeful for the future. I do think there is a lot of talent and potential in the D. But Pagano just has to go, we all know it.

HoosierinFL
10-02-2017, 09:24 AM
The run D collapsed because they started running to the outside. We need ILBs that can run sideline to sideline and cover the field to defend those runs. Seattle figured that out at the half, realizing our d-line was gonna hold up in the middle. They knew that if they started forcing our defense to run laterally they wouldn't be able to keep up.

GoBigBlue88
10-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Agree with all you said, except the run D and collapsed late in the second half.

The part of the game I missed! (Thankfully?)

Coltsalr
10-02-2017, 12:12 PM
The D also collapsed partially (fully?) due to it being completely worn out due to the offense having the inability to stay on the field.

The Seahawks weren't really running long, methodical, clock-eating drives in which they moved at a glacial pace. They were relying off bigger explosive plays. They just happened to get a lot of them because they were on the field so often.

Doesn't completely excuse the defense, but the offense did them no favors.

DrSpaceman
10-02-2017, 12:51 PM
The D also collapsed partially (fully?) due to it being completely worn out due to the offense having the inability to stay on the field.

The Seahawks weren't really running long, methodical, clock-eating drives in which they moved at a glacial pace. They were relying off bigger explosive plays. They just happened to get a lot of them because they were on the field so often.

I don't know about that because the D was barely on the field in the first half and then the Seahawks started with the ball the second half. So you are criticizing one or two short drives in the 3rd quarter?

Luck4Reich
10-02-2017, 04:17 PM
The worst thing about these games is every Monday comes and goes yet Pagano is till here.:(

omahacolt
10-02-2017, 05:15 PM
i think you are a bit too hard on hankins. not sure what you expected of him but he is playing pretty much how i thought he would.

i think woods is very underrated. i like that dude.

wtf is with aiken getting so much playing time? the dude has done nothing

VeveJones007
10-02-2017, 05:58 PM
The run D collapsed because they started running to the outside. We need ILBs that can run sideline to sideline and cover the field to defend those runs. Seattle figured that out at the half, realizing our d-line was gonna hold up in the middle. They knew that if they started forcing our defense to run laterally they wouldn't be able to keep up.

Absolutely this. And Sheard has no lateral quickness to jump off a block and get a RB before he rounds the edge, but that's a "nice-to-have" in an EDGE player. As long as he's setting the edge, the ILBs should be flowing to the ball.

VeveJones007
10-02-2017, 05:59 PM

The defense was on the field all of 10 minutes in the first half. Wearing down wasn't the issue last night.

VeveJones007
10-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Agreed with the overall takeaway. 1 solid player at each of ILB, pass rushing EDGE, and OL makes this team significantly better next year with the pieces they already have in place.

EDIT: Oh, and of course a significantly better coaching staff.

VeveJones007
10-02-2017, 06:03 PM
i think you are a bit too hard on hankins. not sure what you expected of him but he is playing pretty much how i thought he would.

I like the d-line. Main thing I want improved for 2018 is a better pass rusher to sub in for Anderson in passing situations. Anderson is good against the run but offers nothing against the pass.

Racehorse
10-02-2017, 06:25 PM
The part of the game I missed! (Thankfully?)

Me, too

Racehorse
10-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Brissett needs to forget Aiken. The guy is garbage.

I will also add that it irked me to hear the commentators say certain plays we run are to set up something for later in the game. We all know there just isn't that much creativity in our coaching staff. I mean, it seems like sometimes they run a play just like "well, nothing planned, so let's see what this might do", and if it works (think screen pass), we won't see it but once more the entire game. Other coaches would keep running it until you proved that you could stop it.

Spike
10-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Brissett needs to forget Aiken. The guy is garbage.

I will also add that it irked me to hear the commentators say certain plays we run are to set up something for later in the game. We all know there just isn't that much creativity in our coaching staff. I mean, it seems like sometimes they run a play just like "well, nothing planned, so let's see what this might do", and if it works (think screen pass), we won't see it but once more the entire game. Other coaches would keep running it until you proved that you could stop it.

2 screen passes worked and the Colts never used it again was insane. Pagano is a dinosaur just like Fisher was. The national media is echoing the same thing 99% of Colt fans say, Pagano is garbage and needs to be replaced. I look at Goff under Fisher and now under McVay and McVay has made a world of difference for that kid. It's sad that this dipshit Pagano is still the head coach of our team. I was listening to Colin Cowherd today and his statement was that Brissett could be a very good QB, but not under a guy like Pagano, he needs an offensive minded coach. Totally agree! Wake up Irsay, you dumb fuck.

Coltsalr
10-02-2017, 07:27 PM

Do you think he plays at a level worth $9M per year?

(Honest question)

omahacolt
10-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Do you think he plays at a level worth $9M per year?

(Honest question)

I don't know. I don't think like that. Especially having like 20 million to spend. I am not going to pretend to think I can determine his dollar value.

It annoys me when fans say a guy is with 3.5 million but not 5 million

If you asked me a year ago I would probably say paying a guy 9 mil a year that doesn't offer much in pass rushing is overpaid. As a general statement

DrSpaceman
10-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Absolutely this. And Sheard has no lateral quickness to jump off a block and get a RB before he rounds the edge, but that's a "nice-to-have" in an EDGE player. As long as he's setting the edge, the ILBs should be flowing to the ball.

Agree about this

Should really clarify the up the middle, between the tackles run D for the most part is much improved this year.

The outside runs, they sucks bad due to the Lbers.

Also Vontae Davis was embarrassed horribly on that first long pass play. WR faked inside off the line, he bought it and got beat deep. Though he did close on him and catch up

omahacolt
10-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Agree about this

Should really clarify the up the middle, between the tackles run D for the most part is much improved this year.

The outside runs, they sucks bad due to the Lbers.

Also Vontae Davis was embarrassed horribly on that first long pass play. WR faked inside off the line, he bought it and got beat deep. Though he did close on him and catch up

That was a sweet move by Baldwin. I watched that a couple times. Just sick

HoosierinFL
10-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Agree with

it was a sweet move by Baldwin and really took advantage of a rusty VD

That Sheard can set the edge but is not backed up by speedy ILBs who can cover the sidelines reveals the lack of athleticism we have in the ILBs

The comparison of Pagano to Fisher is very apt.

Dewey 5
10-02-2017, 10:18 PM
1. I only saw the first 3 quarters, but that was enough for me. Uverse here, so no WTHR. Had to watch a stream, which crapped out at the end of the 3rd quarter. Sounds like for the better.

2. Actually thought there were some notable positives...

Defensive line continues to look legit.

Defensive backs are a good unit. Farley making me look dumb for saying I didn't see anything more than a special-teamer in him. He looked pretty rangy last night. Malik Hooker just finds his way to INTs. The back-end of this defense is pretty solid, although you can nitpick about needing a better third safety to rotate in or Vontae Davis not being physical enough in his first game back.

The kid who came in at center did a heckuva job considering the circumstances. Leads me to believe Joe Philbin does a pretty decent job preparing these guys, and most issues just come down to talent. He should have been a wreck. He wasn't.

Sanchez looks like the real deal.

Future of this team still looks bright, IMO. I think my biggest takeaway in the early season is that Ballard -- despite a few misses you're just going to have with young GMs -- really does have a good eye. The QB mess was egregious and someone will have an interesting story to tell there one day. But the guys he brought in largely look like guys who will keep you in any ballgame Andrew Luck is under center.

3. This team really misses Marlon Mack, IMO. Even though he's struggled in early season, there's just no surprise element to Colts backfield right now. Everyone else runs at the exact same pace as Gore.

4. Jacoby Brissett regressed to the mean ... which you had to expect, on the road in SEA. I like that the pick-six didn't destroy his confidence. I like that he does play the part, not just look the part, of a leader. I don't like that he doesn't climb the pocket or seem to have particularly good vision, but honestly, that's why he's a high-end QB2 and not a QB1. QB2s eventually give you QB2 play. And that's fine. This team needs a high-end QB2; I still think Brissett is exactly that.

5. I do wish Brissett would stop making Kamar Aiken his go-to guy. If you're going to be throwing interceptable passes, I'd prefer they be thrown to Hilton or Moncrief instead. You at least give yourself a chance.

6. A bit concerned that Jack Doyle got paid and then took his eye off the prize a bit. He needs to hit the reset button on himself; he's not playing to his contract. You can say the same about Jon Hankins, btw.

7. Unsurprisingly, ILBs are still the fatal flaw of the defense. Jon Bostic does an admirable job and is underrated for how he organizes folks, but he's the cream of that crop, and that crop features a player who shouldn't ever see a base package formation in Antonio Morrison. Morrison is awful, and looks more awful every game.

8. I didn't expect it in Year One with Ballard, so I'm not overly concerned, but this team needs to figure out some kind of return game. Quan Bray is maybe the most boring, unspectacular return option in the league right now. Some of that is just a lack of blocking ever set up for him. Some of it is just Bray not really looking that explosive as he's come back from injury.

9. Vujnovich and Haeg remain the weak points on the OL, IMO. I think Ballard needs to upgrade in free agency next year. He needs the draft capital for pass-rushers and athletic ILBs.

10. This team is no worse than 2-2 with Luck, has an outside chance of being 3-1. I think the roster is ahead of where I expected it to be, believe it or not. I really don't think a major rebuild is needed, although clearly EDGE, OL & ILB need serious attention.

The only reason we're giving this team shit is because Pagano is an obvious lame duck coach and Irsay said some incredibly dumb things before the season begins. Put in a new coaching staff and get the owner to stop writing checks his actions can't cash, and I think most people are at least content with the direction of this franchise.

Good work as always, GBB, but I don't understand why people here think Pagano is a lame duck. When Luck does come back they can rattle off some wins & finish with 8 or 9 wins. I that does happen, as we have all seen before, Irsay will see to it the he is back. Luck being out for 6 weeks will certainly figure in to the year end evaluation.

Spike
10-03-2017, 12:47 AM
Good work as always, GBB, but I don't understand why people here think Pagano is a lame duck. When Luck does come back they can rattle off some wins & finish with 8 or 9 wins. I that does happen, as we have all seen before, Irsay will see to it the he is back. Luck being out for 6 weeks will certainly figure in to the year end evaluation.

If Irsay and Ballard have any brains, Pagano will not be back regardless. If they can't see that Pagano is a terrible head coach, there is no helping us.

GoBigBlue88
10-03-2017, 08:31 AM
I want to live in a world where conversations go/went like this:

IRSAY: Give Chuck a chance.

BALLARD: Ok. Chuck, start whoever you want to open the season. You know this team better than me.

PAGANO: Great! I'll put TJ Green at CB and start Scott Tolzien at QB. Also, this Malik Hooker kid, I'll just play him a few snaps.

BALLARD: ...ok. Yes. Yes, you do that.

[Proceeds to hand Pagano rope to hang himself with]

VeveJones007
10-03-2017, 10:02 AM

BALLARD: Ok. Chuck, start whoever you want to open the season. You know this team better than me.

PAGANO: Great! I'll put TJ Green at CB and start Scott Tolzien at QB. Also, this Malik Hooker kid, I'll just play him a few snaps.

I'll say it again. 2017 is a year of evaluation of every component of the football operations.

testcase448
10-03-2017, 01:05 PM
Quick Thoughts

Seahawks...good

Colts, well not so much from owner to ball boy...

indycolts2
10-03-2017, 02:28 PM

I don't think Ballard is Grigson in that Grigs was doing nothing to get rid of Pagano because it was his one excuse to cover up his lousy player evaluations and acquisitions. Ballard is going to evaluate apparently all year long and fortunately Pagano will continue to give him ammunition necessary to convince Irsay he has to go. Only way this does not happen is the impossible........Pagano goes on this great streak of coaching the hell out of this team and they win the Super Bowl...........LMAO! Almost choked typing that, so the reality is Pagano will be gone. Ballard already has seen a win choked against Arizona and has to be mystified as to what happened Sunday night, not just in the last 20 minutes but also with the first two offensive possessions the Colts had. Not so much the first because Doyle effed that one up but the second one where they took 2 long shots into the end zone and kick a field goal. Not smart when you need to take some air out of that stadium and some time off the clock.

Pez
10-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Seahawks fans have to be pretty pissed that a team that struggled to beat the Browns took a 5 point lead into the third.

I know hindsight is 20-20, but we should have realized a team that outclasses us in nearly every aspect of the game would outscore us by 5 in the second half if we were to keep chopping the same wood.

Maybe we should consider making some adjustments at halftime.

GoBigBlue88
10-03-2017, 02:59 PM
FWIW, I really do like Ballard the more I see from him (/his players) and hear from him. He's imperfect, obviously, but I think he gets it. I just worry about Irsay getting it too.

Interesting that Ballard called out Basham specifically in his radio show this week. Basically said: he needs to grow up, he's not realizing his potential.

Conversely, said they're slowly starting to work Grover Stewart into the mix because he is getting better each week. And obviously, that Hooker/Hairston/Wilson all look good and are making impact plays (he most specifically praised Hooker & Hairston ... Wilson obviously has been injured)

ChoppedWood
10-03-2017, 05:42 PM

BALLARD: ...Get the fuck out of here, right now, fucking leave "Security, we need armed escort of the premises right now, we have a madman on the loose"...

[goes to the bathroom and changes his soiled clothing]

What it should have been instead...

dred
10-03-2017, 08:33 PM
All I have to say is wtf ever happenned to half time adjustments?

We were looking so good in the first half. It was actually fun watching the clots again.

Indiana V2
10-03-2017, 09:00 PM

We were looking so good in the first half. It was actually fun watching the clots again.

Halftime adjustments went out the window ever since Pagano became coach.

Coltsalr
10-04-2017, 08:09 AM

BALLARD: ...Get the fuck out of here, right now, fucking leave "Security, we need armed escort of the premises right now, we have a madman on the loose"...

[goes to the bathroom and changes his soiled clothing]
What it should have been instead...

Both of these made me laugh my fucking ass off.

Good work, boys.

omahacolt
10-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Both of these made me laugh my fucking ass off.

Good work, boys.

You are easily amused

testcase448
10-04-2017, 01:00 PM

I think you saw Pagano's ability to make half time adjustments...

Coltsalr
10-04-2017, 07:17 PM
You are easily amused

I also still find “OmahaSimpson” to be amusing.

omahacolt
10-04-2017, 07:35 PM
I also still find “OmahaSimpson” to be amusing.

that is sad