PDA

View Full Version : Since talk is light....football outsiders rankings

DrSpaceman
09-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Looking beyond the offense/defense straight stats, after 3 games decided to check on the DVOA rankings football outsides uses.

Indy is basically average on defense, rank 15th overall. 1.0 is the number for the D, basically a ranking above average.

The offense is a MINUS 41.4, the worse of any unit offense or defense in the league.

I know the first game hurt, but......ouch, awful. Even with a 31 point game 3.

If its any consolation though, the NE D is minus 35.4. They have it listed wrong in the chart I noticed, but it has to be negative, not positive, for the numbers to make sense overall

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Butter
09-28-2017, 11:59 AM
That feels about right for this D. Would be interesting to see how the O fairs when only Brissett's games are included.

HoosierinFL
09-28-2017, 12:23 PM
For New England, +35 is right, because positive defense DVOA scores mean worse performance.

HoosierinFL
09-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Also I can't hardly believe Baltimore has the best defensive DVOA after Jax put 44 on them.

DrSpaceman
09-28-2017, 01:13 PM
For New England, +35 is right, because positive defense DVOA scores mean worse performance.

I guess you are right, just seems counterintuitive to me

+ is bad for defense and - bad for offense

Dam8610
09-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Looking beyond the offense/defense straight stats, after 3 games decided to check on the DVOA rankings football outsides uses.

Indy is basically average on defense, rank 15th overall. 1.0 is the number for the D, basically a ranking above average.

The offense is a MINUS 41.4, the worse of any unit offense or defense in the league.

I know the first game hurt, but......ouch, awful. Even with a 31 point game 3.

If its any consolation though, the NE D is minus 35.4. They have it listed wrong in the chart I noticed, but it has to be negative, not positive, for the numbers to make sense overall

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

That's what happens when your then starting QB throws two pick sixes and the offense also has a safety against it in the first game. I wonder how much of that -41.4 comes from the Rams game. Furthermore, I wonder how it rates among the worst offensive performances they've ever charted. I wouldn't be surprised if for the two games Brissett has started, the offense was average or better in performance.

I guess you are right, just seems counterintuitive to me

+ is bad for defense and - bad for offense

Yes, because DVOA is based on offensive performance, so for a defense, it is better to force the opposing offense to do poorly.

omahacolt
09-28-2017, 06:12 PM
i want to say i am pleasantly surprised by the defense but i still don't think the book is out on them yet. the haven't really played a good offense yet

DrSpaceman
09-28-2017, 08:18 PM
i want to say i am pleasantly surprised by the defense but i still don't think the book is out on them yet. the haven't really played a good offense yet

If you look further at the rankings, Rams are actually a highly ranked offense.

Now how much of that is the colts game and how much is the other two games, I don't know. They also played San Fran, not a great team.

DrSpaceman
09-28-2017, 08:27 PM
OK rams are not highly ranked offense, but decently ranked.

For those wondering about QB play, they do break down players.

Scott Tolzien for his one game has a -110 DVOA. I literally have never seen a ranking that low, by far the lowest of the season

Jacoby Brissett is a respectable -3.5.

JAred Goff is the highest ranked at + 48.

Brissett if higher ranked than some prominent veterans like Flacco, Eli, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Jay Cutler. OK so prominent is being generous to the list, say known name veterans

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

That's just for passing for QBs.

Dam8610
09-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Scott Tolzien for his one game has a -110 DVOA. I literally have never seen a ranking that low, by far the lowest of the season

That's what happens when you produce no offense and throw two TDs to the other team. Is this the worst DVOA rating ever?