PDA

View Full Version : For the love of all that is Holy....CATCH THE BALL!!!

sherck
09-18-2017, 01:22 PM
For the 2017 season:

11 targets / 10 receptions / 90.9% = TE Jack Doyle
13 targets / 07 receptions / 53.8% = WR T.Y. Hilton
11 targets / 04 receptions / 36.4% = WR Kamar Aiken
12 targets / 03 receptions / 25.0% = WR Donte Moncrief

No one else has more than 2 targets so far.

That is utterly pathetic! What are those WRers thinking? I know they have backup QBs tossing the rock near them but GO GET THE BALL!!

Doyle is worth every penny we are paying him. And some.....

Walk Worthy,

omahacolt
09-18-2017, 01:28 PM
For the 2017 season:

That is utterly pathetic! What are those WRers thinking? I know they have backup QBs tossing the rock near them but GO GET THE BALL!!

Walk Worthy,
Doyle has been killing it

That said, not all targets are the same

Pez
09-18-2017, 01:44 PM
I thought Doyle had his best game, not only in catching the ball, but also in pass blocking and blocking downfield.

Aiken had 3 catches for 31 yards, which is half his catch total last year vs the Ravens. I guess that means he had a good game?

That Moncrief number is horrible.

DrSpaceman
09-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Moncrief has three easy key drops

And TY Hilton made a catch and then stumbled and fell on what should have been an easy first down deep in Colts territory.

WRs, mostly Moncrief and Hilton, played awful and did nothing to help out a young QB in his first start with the team.

I thought Aiken when given the chance played well.

Maniac
09-18-2017, 02:43 PM
For the 2017 season:

Walk Worthy,

What are they considering a target? a catchable pass, or just something anywhere near them?

While the WR's haven't helped out much so far this year (especially Moncrief) we need to know what they consider a target first to see just how accurate those stats are.

Doyle has been awesome though for sure.

Colt Classic
09-18-2017, 04:36 PM
I'd need some context for Gronk, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, as well as middle of the road types. What's league average?

Pez
09-18-2017, 04:59 PM
What are they considering a target? a catchable pass, or just something anywhere near them?

While the WR's haven't helped out much so far this year (especially Moncrief) we need to know what they consider a target first to see just how accurate those stats are.

I agree there is some subjectivity to these stats. Even if you (generously) say that half the targets were catchable, Moncrief is still catching half his targets on the season.

That's not the kind of numbers you expect from a veteran WR2.

sherck
09-18-2017, 05:04 PM
I have been looking at catch rate for the last couple of years.

Performing RB are typically around 80%
Performing TE are typically around 75%
Performing WR are typically around 65%

ESPN (where I got the targets from) uses the term "catchable" ball. Not much definition on what that means but it does not means a ball thrown out of bounds 10 feet over a head or at someones feet to avoid a sack.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DrSpaceman
09-18-2017, 05:06 PM
I'd need some context for Gronk, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, as well as middle of the road types. What's league average?

Here are some stats from last year.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-catch-rate?season_id=14

This is not all players and does not give an average, but you get an idea

RBs have the top rates in general, range 66-87% on this chart

TEs are next, range 6o-80%

WRs range 62-76%.

Again this is not all the players in the league listed, but these are the top and probably mid to low average numbers for reference.

DrSpaceman
09-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Also according to the chart, Doyle had the top pass catching rate for a tight end last season for the whole league. 78%

Racehorse
09-18-2017, 06:49 PM

One of the Moncreif targets was a pass that was between him and another WR that was 5 yards or so from either of them. Not defending him, just answering the question.

omahacolt
09-18-2017, 09:06 PM
That was a great game for Doyle. Wish they could have topped it off with a td

DragonTails
09-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Stats are nice but I didn't need them to know that the WR's sucked Sunday.

The eye test was enough - and now my eyes are sore.