PDA

View Full Version : I'd rather they tank this season.

kitekrazy
09-17-2017, 10:27 PM
Go for a better pick.

Luck could be healthier.

No if's ands or buts to fire the coaches.

Brisette would get more experience and maybe be a good backup.

Worse scenario - Luck takes the Colts to 9-7 and somehow a playoff spot and there is this temptation to keep Pagano.

I'd rather this be a rebuild. It takes an organization some time to recover from 1st round mistakes.

Indiana V2
09-17-2017, 10:58 PM
I disagree, if Luck is healthy you don't shelve him for the season, I don't see the benefit there. Besides, Chuck is still the coach, so they won't win many games anyway.

Coltsalr
09-17-2017, 11:37 PM
I disagree, if Luck is healthy you don't shelve him for the season, I don't see the benefit there. Besides, Chuck is still the coach, so they won't win many games anyway.

But will they win enough games for Irsay to keep him around?

bertjones
09-18-2017, 12:22 AM
I'm torn. Unless you're the Spurs you never get the stink of tanking
out of you, it shows up somewhere. On the other hand I shudder at the
thought of entrusting Andrew's recently repaired shoulder to this
miserable offensive line, incompetent coaching staff and testicle challenged
receiving corps.

albany ed
09-18-2017, 06:47 AM
But will they win enough games for Irsay to keep him around?

No.

sherck
09-18-2017, 06:59 AM
Considering that Luck is not yet practicing with the team, I find it a stretch that he will be ready for even the Week 4 CLE game in 2 weeks.

As such, he will be looking at joining a team that is 1-3 at best and quite possibly 0-4 as Cleveland is actually showing some signs of life as a team even though they are also 0-2 right now.

That is a pretty hard hole for him to dig the team out of in order to make the playoffs or have a winning record. Going 8-4 or 9-3 for the rest of the season will be a big chore. I hope Pagano is done in Indy.

I also hope that Ballard is smart enough to have come in, realized how bad the roster is, knew that a total rebuild was in order and also knew that if he kept Clappy McWoodchopper for 1 more season in which we were going nowhere anyway, he could then fire him and burn off much of the excess anger from the fan base while getting his star QB healthy and having a 2nd off-season of talent acquisition to further rebuild the team.

I hope that is the case rather than Ballard being convinced that Clappy was a quality NFL Head Coach and that Tolzien was an NFL quality #2 QB. If he believed that, then this franchise is doomed.

Walk Worthy,

Pez
09-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Cleveland is next week (week 3), I dont see Luck playing in that one if he hasnt practiced, and I am not sure they will want to start him against the Seahawks in week 4 either. Maybe against the 49ers... at which point we could very easily be 0-4.

Indystu2
09-18-2017, 09:03 AM
Colts are underdogs to the Browns? Holy **** Batman!

Coltsalr
09-18-2017, 09:38 AM
I could see us beating the Browns, in the same sense that I saw us potentially winning yesterday. I don't think this is going to be like 2011 where we're just getting laughed out of the building every week. Had we stuck with Tolzien then yes I think it would've been (in the same sense that we idiotically stuck with Collins/Painter for far, far too long in 2011), but with Brissett at the helm, I truly think every game is going to be competitive.

This really isn't a tough schedule at all. If we were better in just a few areas (namely coaching, but we're obviously all aware of our various position deficiencies as well) and had a healthy Luck, then we really could roll through the schedule and the division without too much trouble at all.

Lov2fish
09-18-2017, 09:41 AM
You say that like there is a chance they won't. lol. Inept coaching, lack of talent in key positions and it was set in stone before the season started. How bad we were going to be was the only unknown.

1965southpaw
09-18-2017, 10:04 AM
I can't believe we are having this conversation. If these young guys are led to think it's ok to lose now for a better draft pick you will NEVER turn that thinking around. A culture of losing breeds more losing. With good talent assessment and a smart approach to free agency Ballard will have plenty of opportunity to rebuild this roster in the next few years. It's not going to be a quick fix. I see NO scenario where Pagano is back next year. I think the ONLY question is if he's a mid season fire. As for Andrew I hope he's back for the 49s week 5. It's not like he doesn't benefit from playing just because it's a weak roster. He still needs to work on his decision making and can take the next step in his development. He's got some pretty considerable rust to work off. It may be a crappy season but this fan girl will continue to watch every crappy minute. I admit it. I'm addicted. :p

sherck
09-18-2017, 10:08 AM
I can't believe we are having this conversation. If these young guys are led to think it's ok to lose now for a better draft pick you will NEVER turn that thinking around. A culture of losing breeds more losing. With good talent assessment and a smart approach to free agency Ballard will have plenty of opportunity to rebuild this roster in the next few years. It's not going to be a quick fix. I see NO scenario where Pagano is back next year. I think the ONLY question is if he's a mid season fire. As for Andrew I hope he's back for the 49s week 5. It's not like he doesn't benefit from playing just because it's a weak roster. He still needs to work on his decision making and can take the next step in his development. He's got some pretty considerable rust to work off. It may be a crappy season but this fan girl will continue to watch every crappy minute. I admit it. I'm addicted. :p
The Colts have no need to intentionally try to lose; our talent level dictates at this point that we will lose most of our games without 3 of our best players on the field (Luck, Kelly, Davis).

All management needs to do is make sure they don't hit the field until mid-season to "ensure" that they are 100% healthy and play a TON of rookies and young players and you are well on your way to a top ten/five draft pick.

No need to try to lose. We will do so naturally with the lack of NFL talent and Clappy McWoodchopper coaching.

Walk Worthy,

Oldcolt
09-18-2017, 10:13 AM
While it was great seeing some signs of life in the defense it worries the hell out of me that Pagano is going to somehow survive another year. We came out playing well (not sure how that happened) but Pagano is completely unable to make any in game adjustments. It's nauseating having this very nice man as our coach.

1965southpaw
09-18-2017, 10:15 AM
The Colts have no need to intentionally try to lose; our talent level dictates at this point that we will lose most of our games without 3 of our best players on the field (Luck, Kelly, Davis).

All management needs to do is make sure they don't hit the field until mid-season to "ensure" that they are 100% healthy and play a TON of rookies and young players and you are well on your way to a top ten/five draft pick.

No need to try to lose. We will do so naturally with the lack of NFL talent and Clappy McWoodchopper coaching.

Walk Worthy,

If they aren't healthy that's fine but if they are and management is intentionally holding them out the locker room will understand that and lose respect for their leadership. It's not a winning strategy in the long term. They are all well paid professionals. Professionals want to follow leaders that always strive to win.

albany ed
09-18-2017, 10:21 AM
I don't believe football teams ever really tank the season. They may not play with high emotion when they're pretty sure the opposition is better, but they still play hard.

As a fan, I always want to see my team win, but this year began with my expectations much lowered. When Luck is playing or before him when Manning was the QB, every week, you expected to win. So, when the team lost, it hurt. This year? Not so much. Play to win, but play the young guys, the ones that will be with the team next year. Let them get experience in a year when the playoffs are not in the cards. Next year, a new head coach, a healthy Luck, a young defense with some experience, a few FA acquisitions in critical areas, and a solid draft may get the team back to the playoffs.

JMichael557
09-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Tanking has nothing to do with the players not trying to win. It instead is "Management" making decisions that may have long term interest in mind over winning today. Those decisions include;

Not playing Luck, playing rookies, moving AC to Right Tackle, not playing anyone that is injured even though they could play, etc.

We are not making the playoffs this year. A pick at 1,2 or even 3 could go a long way to this team getting really good, really fast.

Top priority for next year is a LEFT TACKLE.

Indystu2
09-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Tanking has nothing to do with the players not trying to win. It instead is "Management" making decisions that may have long term interest in mind over winning today. Those decisions include;

Not playing Luck, playing rookies, moving AC to Right Tackle, not playing anyone that is injured even though they could play, etc.

We are not making the playoffs this year. A pick at 1,2 or even 3 could go a long way to this team getting really good, really fast.

I single high round daft pick in itself will not elevate this team.
I combination of quality draft picks (not with Pags), developing the talent we have (not with Pags), decent FA pickups (not with Pags), good game planning (not with Pags), good in game adjustments (not with Pags) and maybe some Luck.

albany ed
09-18-2017, 11:11 AM

We don't know what's going on with Luck, but I think it's critical that he play this year, so the team can assess his health. The team needs to know if Luck comes back 100%. If he's damaged goods, then Darnold could be the draft choice.

omahacolt
09-18-2017, 11:30 AM

You aren't moving AC to right tackle this year.

Luck plays if healthy. No question about that.

JMichael557
09-18-2017, 11:48 AM
As stated we need a pick at 1,2 or 3 because we can then trade that pick and still get a LT if we can stay in the top ten. We then get extra picks. First Priority is finally fixing the OL. We need an LT and at least a Guard if AC can play RT.

I do not know why we cannot move AC to right tackle now to see if he can play the position. He is terrible at LT so a replacement can only be as bad.

If AC cannot play Right Tackle when we will needs to move on.

If luck plays this year behind our current OL then he will be having a new surgery this off season.

Pez
09-18-2017, 11:52 AM
You have to play Luck if he's healthy. I thought the initial prognosis on Kelly's injury was 6-8 weeks from mid-August, so that could be next or the week after.

I will lose a good deal of interest for this team if I think they are intentionally tanking. That in addition to the respect I've lost for this for irrationally sticking with Grigson, and stunningly irrationally sticking with Pags.

Lopresti mentions that the colts are 0-2 for three straight seasons for the first time since Andrew Luck turned two (1991).

This stretch reminds me of the Dowhower, Meyer, Venturi years....

Hoopsdoc
09-18-2017, 01:13 PM
You have to play Luck if he's healthy. I thought the initial prognosis on Kelly's injury was 6-8 weeks from mid-August, so that could be next or the week after.

I will lose a good deal of interest for this team if I think they are intentionally tanking. That in addition to the respect I've lost for this for irrationally sticking with Grigson, and stunningly irrationally sticking with Pags.

Lopresti mentions that the colts are 0-2 for three straight seasons for the first time since Andrew Luck turned two (1991).

This stretch reminds me of the Dowhower, Meyer, Venturi years....

0-2 doesn't bother me as much this year because I fully expected it. I say they'll start 1-4 after which Pags is FINALLY fired.

At least, I hope so.

It's just so frustrating that EVERYONE on Gods green earth can see how bad he is except the one guy who matters.

Dam8610
09-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Top priority for next year is a PASS RUSHER.

Definitely.

omahacolt
09-18-2017, 01:27 PM
As stated we need a pick at 1,2 or 3 because we can then trade that pick and still get a LT if we can stay in the top ten. We then get extra picks. First Priority is finally fixing the OL. We need an LT and at least a Guard if AC can play RT.

I do not know why we cannot move AC to right tackle now to see if he can play the position. He is terrible at LT so a replacement can only be as bad.

If AC cannot play Right Tackle when we will needs to move on.

If luck plays this year behind our current OL then he will be having a new surgery this off season.

You think AC is terrible at LT but want another dude in the team to play it? You don't think it can get worse? Probably half the league has an as bad or worse LT than AC. Yet you think we have an upgrade on he roster?

There is zero logic in your thinking

VeveJones007
09-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Funny thing is that if they won yesterday, they reasonably may have been able to pull off 3-2 with Luck coming back for Week 6. But going back to the point of the OP, I think it's rationale to think that the Colts will be in a better position to develop into a contender if they lose a high share of games just like yesterday's.

JMichael557
09-18-2017, 01:35 PM
I do not think that there is not an "upgrade" on the roster. However I know that AC cannot continue to play LT as he is really bad and has been bad for several seasons. He is paid a lot of money. The Colts need to find out if he can play RT or would he be just as bad.

I would start Clark at LT and move AC to RT. If Clark does worse then I have to put AC back at LT. If he is the same then I leave that line-up in place.

However the colts will not know until they try. Presently AC give the QB almost no time to throw. Even then "blocking" he gets pushed back into the QB.

Coltsalr
09-18-2017, 01:45 PM
You think AC is terrible at LT but want another dude in the team to play it? You don't think it can get worse? Probably half the league has an as bad or worse LT than AC. Yet you think we have an upgrade on he roster?

There is zero logic in your thinking

To be fair, are those half the league at LT costing their teams a $13M cap hit?

omahacolt
09-18-2017, 02:07 PM
To be fair, are those half the league at LT costing their teams a $13M cap hit?

I don't know. Probably not. But with 17 mil in cap space I don't care. We aren't hurting for money.

I am all for replacing him but I want someone better before we move from him. That is a spot I don't want a step back.

omahacolt
09-18-2017, 02:09 PM
I do not think that there is not an "upgrade" on the roster. However I know that AC cannot continue to play LT as he is really bad and has been bad for several seasons. He is paid a lot of money. The Colts need to find out if he can play RT or would he be just as bad.

I would start Clark at LT and move AC to RT. If Clark does worse then I have to put AC back at LT. If he is the same then I leave that line-up in place.

However the colts will not know until they try. Presently AC give the QB almost no time to throw. Even then "blocking" he gets pushed back into the QB.

And this is really stupid

VeveJones007
09-18-2017, 02:19 PM

Clark couldn't even win the RT job and you want to hand him LT?

omahacolt
09-18-2017, 09:07 PM
You want to see the alternatives? Watch how terrible these LT's are tonight

kitekrazy
09-18-2017, 10:23 PM
My point about tanking is I don't want them to rush Luck at the expense of wining games. The future can be better at 5-11 than 8-8.

8-8 gave us the same coach again.

Butter
09-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Go for a better pick.

Luck could be healthier.

No if's ands or buts to fire the coaches.

Brisette would get more experience and maybe be a good backup.

Worse scenario - Luck takes the Colts to 9-7 and somehow a playoff spot and there is this temptation to keep Pagano.

I'd rather this be a rebuild. It takes an organization some time to recover from 1st round mistakes.

My point about tanking is I don't want them to rush Luck at the expense of wining games. The future can be better at 5-11 than 8-8.

8-8 gave us the same coach again.

Sure didn't sound like it.

Coltsalr
09-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Clark couldn't even win the RT job and you want to hand him LT?

If your goal is to see Luck actually die on the field, as opposed to just being ravaged by injuries, that's probably the way you'd go about doing so.

JMichael557
09-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Who is AC keeping alive. :)

Maniac
09-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Why not just get AC some help at times? A RB or a TE, even if it's just something quick before releasing out on a route? Then in the offseason they can see if an upgrade is able to be drafted or brought in.

rcubed
09-19-2017, 12:26 PM
browns open as 2.5 point favorites in indy. that's embarrassing.

Pez
09-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Luck is already ruled own for this week, though Pagano said he wouldnt rule out practicing.

Go chop wood somewhere.

VeveJones007
09-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Luck is already ruled own for this week, though Pagano said he wouldnt rule out practicing.

Go chop wood somewhere.

Where did you get that bit about practicing? Holder quoted Pagano as saying "I don't know about that right now." Is that what you mean?

Coltsalr
09-19-2017, 01:05 PM
browns open as 2.5 point favorites in indy. that's embarrassing.

I'll again say that I'm feeling a win on Sunday against the Browns.

Just a feeling, but I had the same feeling about the Cards (when everyone was expecting blowout).

Pez
09-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Where did you get that bit about practicing? Holder quoted Pagano as saying "I don't know about that right now." Is that what you mean?

Stampede Blue here:

"Head Coach Chuck Pagano announced on Monday that Andrew Luck has been ruled out for for the week 3 tilt against the Cleveland Browns. He stopped short of ruling him out from a return to practice and said the team is waiting on Luck to be cleared by his doctors. No indication was given with regard to a timetable except that Pagano did indicate that he has no doubt Luck will return to the field this season.

There you have it folks. The timetable is somewhere between week 4 and week 17. No further questions."

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/9/18/16330756/colts-monday-updates-luck-out-for-week-3-myles-garrett-out-for-browns

indycolts2
09-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Until Luck takes the field I'm going to root for Jacoby Brissett to get exponentially better on a weekly basis to the point where the Colts somehow do better than expected without Luck. Reason being that if Brissett proves to be a capable starting QB some team out there may make a phone call after the season is over and prior to the draft make an offer of some substance revolving around draft pick(s). So while tanking would reap the benefits of a better draft position I'm not so sure it's the best option while Luck isn't playing. Brissett albeit having made the one stupid mistake he could not make looked capable knowing only a portion of the playbook. One game does not a career make so their needs to be a larger sample size. Personally I hope it does not get any larger than 3 weeks worth for Brissett and Luck is back along with Kelly and V. Davis. The thought of tanking a season makes me want to puke and that won't happen if it's up to the players.

rcubed
09-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Until Luck takes the field I'm going to root for Jacoby Brissett to get exponentially better on a weekly basis to the point where the Colts somehow do better than expected without Luck. Reason being that if Brissett proves to be a capable starting QB some team out there may make a phone call after the season is over and prior to the draft make an offer of some substance revolving around draft pick(s). So while tanking would reap the benefits of a better draft position I'm not so sure it's the best option while Luck isn't playing. Brissett albeit having made the one stupid mistake he could not make looked capable knowing only a portion of the playbook. One game does not a career make so their needs to be a larger sample size. Personally I hope it does not get any larger than 3 weeks worth for Brissett and Luck is back along with Kelly and V. Davis. The thought of tanking a season makes me want to puke and that won't happen if it's up to the players.
taking emotion out of it, I would rather have a top 3 pick than whatever some team would want to trade for brissett (and keep brissett for our backup).

GoBigBlue88
09-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Tanking is dumb. If Luck comes back, you don't just sit your bajillion dollar QB. Play him. You're paying him.

But is my ideal season one that gets Luck back 110%, while Brissett learns the offense and is at least capable of orchestrating something resembling a NFL offense and while Ballard's first FA/draft class gives reason for optimism ... while losing close ones? Yes, yes it is.

VeveJones007
09-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Tanking is dumb. If Luck comes back, you don't just sit your bajillion dollar QB. Play him. You're paying him.

But is my ideal season one that gets Luck back 110%, while Brissett learns the offense and is at least capable of orchestrating something resembling a NFL offense and while Ballard's first FA/draft class gives reason for optimism ... while losing close ones? Yes, yes it is.

This. A lot more games like this past Sunday's is ideal.

+Coaching staff housecleaning

Coltsalr
09-19-2017, 04:23 PM

I agree, but just to clarify, I'd imagine you would say that Luck starting Week 17 last year was dumb?

There does come a certain point (at least for me) where there's a point of no return so to speak. Whether it be at 0-4 or 0-6 or 1-5, where you could make the argument for shutting Luck down and not risking him having to do rehab all over again next offseason.

I remember this debate during 2011. I knew that it probably wasn't the last time it was going to happen. I didn't think it would be happening just 6 years later.

GoBigBlue88
09-19-2017, 04:36 PM
I agree, but just to clarify, I'd imagine you would say that Luck starting Week 17 last year was dumb?

There does come a certain point (at least for me) where there's a point of no return so to speak. Whether it be at 0-4 or 0-6 or 1-5, where you could make the argument for shutting Luck down and not risking him having to do rehab all over again next offseason.

I remember this debate during 2011. I knew that it probably wasn't the last time it was going to happen. I didn't think it would be happening just 6 years later.

The difference being, Luck was not even close to 100% for that game. If he's 100%, he should play. If he's not, he shouldn't.

omahacolt
09-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Why not just get AC some help at times? A RB or a TE, even if it's just something quick before releasing out on a route? Then in the offseason they can see if an upgrade is able to be drafted or brought in.

you can at times

you just never know exactly when he will get beat. it is not like he shits the bed every play.

omahacolt
09-19-2017, 04:55 PM

i get that but fuck it

i want to win. i can't stand not winning our shit division. and i would love it just to shut all the people talking shit about this team up. we are a bad team but the way the media portrays it, we are the biggest joke the nfl has ever seen.

omahacolt
09-19-2017, 04:57 PM

nope

you can't make an argument for shutting down a healthy Luck.

njcoltfan
09-19-2017, 05:37 PM
i get that but fuck it

i want to win. i can't stand not winning our shit division. and i would love it just to shut all the people talking shit about this team up. we are a bad team but the way the media portrays it, we are the biggest joke the nfl has ever seen.

The biggest jackass at poking fun at the Colts is PFF ( florioisadick) and that's because he sucks Belichicks and Kraft's dicks !!

omahacolt
09-19-2017, 05:56 PM
The biggest jackass at poking fun at the Colts is PFF ( florioisadick) and that's because he sucks Belichicks and Kraft's dicks !!

florio has been like that for awhile concerning the colts. it is truly unprofessional. i rarely see his shit though

Coltsalr
09-19-2017, 06:07 PM
nope

you can't make an argument for shutting down a healthy Luck.

The Colts are 0-15 and Luck is FINALLY healthy enough to go in Week 17.

You're advocating starting him?

njcoltfan
09-19-2017, 06:20 PM
florio has been like that for awhile concerning the colts. it is truly unprofessional. i rarely see his shit though

You're lucky, but then again I don't have to read his shit if I don't want to, but then again I've never been mistaken for a member of MENSA!

indycolts2
09-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Absolutely...gotta see what you got for next year..lol!

j/k

omahacolt
09-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Of course

1965southpaw
09-19-2017, 09:45 PM

Is this a serious question? Of course you play him........
1. The organization needs to be able to make a full assessment of whether he's capable of returning to high level QB play so they can develop and implement the right off season plan for the QB position.
2. Andrew needs game time reps that no amount of non game practice can give him to get back ready for next year
3. The rest of the offense needs game time reps to reconnect into something resembling a competitive high level unit.
4. The rest of the NFL needs to see that andrew is better than ever so that Ballard and Irsay can recruit the type of head coach that can restore this franchise to excellence and finally
5. The fans need something positive to shake off the stench that this season will have been in your scenario so yes.....

The minute andrew is 100 percent he needs to be on the field. He is a competitive well paid professional and I can't believe he would want it any other way besides the fact that it's what the organization needs for all of these reasons.

FatDT
09-19-2017, 10:48 PM
I want him to play as long as him playing doesn't somehow save Pagano's job.

1965southpaw
09-20-2017, 12:16 AM
I want him to play as long as him playing doesn't somehow save Pagano's job.

There is No Way Pagano will be back next year.

bertjones
09-20-2017, 12:49 AM
It's complicated with Luck. I'd ask how healthy is he really. You can come back from an injury
where technically you're cleared but things are still precarious, still a bit
raw. In his case it seems to be a major procedure he endured . Do you
want to trust the fledgling recovery to an offensive line that is playing
like it is the beneficiary of his life insurance policy?
On the other hand we really need to know what we have here, post surgery,
because if he's not there and won't be, there are some franchise Qb prospects in this draft.
I wish there was some slide rule that would tell us at what point that shoulder
is sturdy enough for contact given the constraints of this team but there isn't one. There are no easy answers
and whichever route is taken will be thoroughly second guessed. Yuck.

FatDT
09-20-2017, 05:44 AM
There is No Way Pagano will be back next year.

Lots of people said this last year. And the year before.

1965southpaw
09-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Lots of people said this last year. And the year before.

And he wouldn't be here if Irsay could have closed the deal with any of the handful of candidates (experienced, Super Bowl pedigree ) that he considered at the end of our last two mediocre seasons. This year, not even limping our way into the playoffs (which isn't likely to happen), will save his job. I firmly believe when he hired Ballard he also made the decision to put the selection of the next head coach into his hands which opens up the possibility of more less tenured candidates. Time will tell but I'd be willing to put money behind this prediction. I see NO scenario where chuck is back.

VeveJones007
09-20-2017, 12:25 PM
And he wouldn't be here if Irsay could have closed the deal with any of the handful of candidates (experienced, Super Bowl pedigree ) that he considered at the end of our last two mediocre seasons. This year, not even limping our way into the playoffs (which isn't likely to happen), will save his job. I firmly believe when he hired Ballard he also made the decision to put the selection of the next head coach into his hands which opens up the possibility of more less tenured candidates. Time will tell but I'd be willing to put money behind this prediction. I see NO scenario where chuck is back.

This is what my head and my heart both tell me. Irsay tried to bring in a high-caliber coach early in January, missed, saw it was too late for a new GM to hire a good coach and staff, and knew Luck would be out at least throughout OTAs and some camp.

Add all of that together and Irsay more or less told Ballard, "don't worry about the coaching staff for 2017. Build your scouting department, start churning the roster, and use 2017 as an evaluation year up and down the organization."

1965southpaw
09-20-2017, 12:52 PM
This is what my head and my heart both tell me. Irsay tried to bring in a high-caliber coach early in January, missed, saw it was too late for a new GM to hire a good coach and staff, and knew Luck would be out at least throughout OTAs and some camp.

Add all of that together and Irsay more or less told Ballard, "don't worry about the coaching staff for 2017. Build your scouting department, start churning the roster, and use 2017 as an evaluation year up and down the organization."

Exactly! Irsay may be an addict but he also has grown up in the football business and one of his deep seated motivations is to Not run his business like his father did so he's more loyal and sometimes slower to act than his fans would like but he's not the bumbling idiot that some are making him out to be. This season may be shaping up to be a bit of a cluster fuck (perfect storm) but as long as andrew comes back to full form physically and mentally we have the most important asset we need. Everything else from competent coaching to a better roster are all achievable within the next couple of years.....we just need to ride out the current shitstorm.

FatDT
09-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Obviously I hope you're right. But I'm not putting anything past the owner that signed both Grigson and Pagano to second contracts.

Racehorse
09-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Obviously I hope you're right. But I'm not putting anything past the owner that signed both Grigson and Pagano to second contracts.

And already bought one of them out. The other is likely to go, too. Like was said, he had no real replacement options then.

njcoltfan
09-21-2017, 07:52 AM
And already bought one of them out. The other is likely to go, too. Like was said, he had no real replacement options then.

You don’t know that !

Coltsalr
09-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Dead guy in the morgue would've been a satisfactory replacement.

VeveJones007
09-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Dead guy in the morgue would've been a satisfactory replacement.

2017 was a lost year regardless. I'd rather Ballard get feelers out and get his pick of the litter for 2018.

Also, if it's a guy like Toub, coordinators and position coaches are going to be ultra important. Those guys change jobs the first 10 days after the season, so Irsay had already missed the window.

Coltsalr
09-23-2017, 02:02 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1052769347755

ChoppedWood
09-23-2017, 02:21 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1052769347755

I hate that dude, all that aside, exceptionally well reasoned.

There was a nice little break down the other day by Q&S- Chuck is legitimately the only guy in the org right now that needs to win now and you can hear it in his voice that he recognizes he is being hung out to dry.

Makes a lot of sense... just hoping there is nothing wrong with shoulder long term!

Spike
09-23-2017, 06:42 PM
I hate that dude, all that aside, exceptionally well reasoned.

There was a nice little break down the other day by Q&S- Chuck is legitimately the only guy in the org right now that needs to win now and you can hear it in his voice that he recognizes he is being hung out to dry.

Makes a lot of sense... just hoping there is nothing wrong with shoulder long term!

Pagano has no business being a head coach in the NFL. Luck is a once in a generational QB and Pagano is the head coach? What a fucking joke. I don't know how the SOB even sleeps at night! Everyone says that Pagano is a nice guy, I say fuck that. He threw all of his previous coaches under the bus and nothing has changed. HE IS the fucking problem! I didn't care for that prick Griggs, but Pags is just as bad if not worst. Irsay really fucked up hiring those two hacks.