PDA

View Full Version : Colts/Cards recap

Indiana V2
09-17-2017, 06:27 PM
1. Pagano still sucks.

2. Constanzo is awful.

3. Moncrief is not making big money after this season.

4. Hilton is overrated.

5. Brissett is better than Tolzien.

6. The young DB's need more experience, but are trending upward.

7. Colts should have hired Arians.

8. Pagano still sucks.

GoBigBlue88
09-17-2017, 06:45 PM
A few from me.

1. Brissett did better than I thought he would. I was mostly impressed. He has some real arm talent and can put the ball anywhere on the field. Every throw is open to him, unlike Tolzien. He had impressive placement on some. Mobile, but more importantly, strong ... you need to shed some tackles behind Colts OL. But the reason he's a QB2 is that he just doesn't see the field very well. Don't see him going through reads like Luck would. He's still new, so that will improve, but I doubt it improves much. Think he'll prove limited by his tendency to lock on, but still a high-end QB2 ... which is the point.

2. I'm not going to criticize Chud too much for the gameplan today; he had one hand tied behind his back. But it would be nice to design something unique for Marlon Mack.

3. The WRs on this team are just so damn soft. I'm tired of it. I think it stems from lack of leadership. No coincidence, this group has been soft as butter ever since Reggie Wayne left.

4. I'm really encouraged by Quincy Wilson and Malik Hooker. Every time Wilson gets beat, he was at least in position to make a play but either didn't locate the ball or just missed. He's always in the right place. You don't see him trailing 10 yards like Greg Toler, or just playing off the ball 10 yards because he's afraid he'll give up a big play.

Hooker looked good today and the two actually combined on a few PBUs, which I liked. But I think Hooker is actually playing TOO deep. Colts need more help in the intermediate depth than 20+ yards downfield, IMO.

I think this is where having any one of Butler or Geathers back would really help, though.

5. Only real issue with the front seven today is that ILBs are still the glaring weakness we know them to be. They just suck, if we're being honest. And problem is, Colts need to address LT and pass-rusher too much in draft to really draft a super dynamic ILB, so we may be looking at another year of this.

6. Kenny Moore shouldn't be on this team tomorrow. If accountability really matters, he was at fault for 2 of the 3 biggest Colts mistakes of the game -- his terrible zone drop depth on 3rd & 20, and his fair catch interference. Also he just sucks, so there's that.

7. I really like Al Woods. I'm afraid he's at his peak and it only goes downhill from here, but it's nice to have a fat guy you just don't fuck with in the middle for once.

8. That was the most consistent pressure the Colts have generated since before Robert Mathis' Achilles injury. I expect pressure to be inconsistent, but they finally have some nasty players who can rock OL and make things interesting. Still don't have a lot of speed or athleticism, though, unless Basham comes on later.

9. Just me, or does Quan Bray look slower/worse than last year? Granted, I think any returner is set up to fail for this team because they can't execute basic blocking assignments ever, but I don't see why Bray won out over Natson based on today's game.

YDFL Commish
09-17-2017, 07:14 PM
A few from me.

1. Brissett did better than I thought he would. I was mostly impressed. He has some real arm talent and can put the ball anywhere on the field. Every throw is open to him, unlike Tolzien. He had impressive placement on some. Mobile, but more importantly, strong ... you need to shed some tackles behind Colts OL. But the reason he's a QB2 is that he just doesn't see the field very well. Don't see him going through reads like Luck would. He's still new, so that will improve, but I doubt it improves much. Think he'll prove limited by his tendency to lock on, but still a high-end QB2 ... which is the point.

2. I'm not going to criticize Chud too much for the gameplan today; he had one hand tied behind his back. But it would be nice to design something unique for Marlon Mack.

3. The WRs on this team are just so damn soft. I'm tired of it. I think it stems from lack of leadership. No coincidence, this group has been soft as butter ever since Reggie Wayne left.

4. I'm really encouraged by Quincy Wilson and Malik Hooker. Every time Wilson gets beat, he was at least in position to make a play but either didn't locate the ball or just missed. He's always in the right place. You don't see him trailing 10 yards like Greg Toler, or just playing off the ball 10 yards because he's afraid he'll give up a big play.

Hooker looked good today and the two actually combined on a few PBUs, which I liked. But I think Hooker is actually playing TOO deep. Colts need more help in the intermediate depth than 20+ yards downfield, IMO.

I think this is where having any one of Butler or Geathers back would really help, though.

5. Only real issue with the front seven today is that ILBs are still the glaring weakness we know them to be. They just suck, if we're being honest. And problem is, Colts need to address LT and pass-rusher too much in draft to really draft a super dynamic ILB, so we may be looking at another year of this.

6. Kenny Moore shouldn't be on this team tomorrow. If accountability really matters, he was at fault for 2 of the 3 biggest Colts mistakes of the game -- his terrible zone drop depth on 3rd & 20, and his fair catch interference. Also he just sucks, so there's that.

7. I really like Al Woods. I'm afraid he's at his peak and it only goes downhill from here, but it's nice to have a fat guy you just don't fuck with in the middle for once.

8. That was the most consistent pressure the Colts have generated since before Robert Mathis' Achilles injury. I expect pressure to be inconsistent, but they finally have some nasty players who can rock OL and make things interesting. Still don't have a lot of speed or athleticism, though, unless Basham comes on later.

9. Just me, or does Quan Bray look slower/worse than last year? Granted, I think any returner is set up to fail for this team becau.se they can't execute basic blocking assignments ever, but I don't see why Bray won out over Natson based on today's game.

Good post. I would just like to add one thing.

Just watch Kenny Moore in coverage in the 4th qtr. He fucked up at least 3 plays by my count w/poor coverage. Why was he even out there?

Wilson, Hairston and Melvin seemed to be holding their own, so I;m not sure why Moore was even playing?

omahacolt
09-17-2017, 07:33 PM
1. Pagano still sucks.

2. Constanzo is awful.

3. Moncrief is not making big money after this season.

4. Hilton is overrated.

5. Brissett is better than Tolzien.

6. The young DB's need more experience, but are trending upward.

7. Colts should have hired Arians.

8. Pagano still sucks.
Hiring Arians wasn't an option

Indiana V2
09-17-2017, 07:42 PM

I know, but I'd rather have Arians over Chuck everyday of the week.

DrSpaceman
09-17-2017, 07:50 PM
I am much more encouraged this week than last week.

I really think the D is on the right track and last week was just an coaching embarrassment due to not wanting to start Wilson and Hooker. Once Vontae Davis is back I really think the secondary is pretty solid. Even on the play for the long TD today, the coverage was there, was a great pass and catch. Multiple plays where the secondary knocked the ball away.

The one downside was they dropped two easy INTs, both deep in AZ territory and both probably could have been return TDs.

The problem is the LBers still cannot cover underneath or over the middle worth shit. Kills them. And still not enough of a consistent pass rush

The run D has been solid two games in a row. The DL is much improved.

Brissett did better than I expected. The WRs killed him. Moncrief dropped three key passes. Sucked awful today. TY HAS to get that first down, you can stumble there.

OL is still bad. Kelly returning will help, but its still a work in progress, as it has been for 5+ years now.

The upside so far is : the division still sucks. Three teams at 1-1 Houstons office still stinks. Not sure if anyone else watched Watson against Cincy, he doesn't look that good. The one long TD run and not much in the air. The two losses are nonconference games so far, those are the least important, still only one game back in the division, its still very winnable.

This is a game where if Luck plays I think its an easy win.

GoBigBlue88
09-17-2017, 07:57 PM
OL is still bad. Kelly returning will help, but its still a work in progress, as it has been for 5+ years now.

The OL is so weird. There is no consistent good/bad trend to anyone on that unit. Most regress and most are just capable of doing terrible things at any moment. Mewhort was better this week, but scary that the next best OL was probably Vagisil.

Castonzo is ... well, the Colts need to replace Castonzo in 2018. It's just a question of whether they go pass-rusher or LT with that first round pick.

omahacolt
09-17-2017, 08:42 PM
The OL is so weird. There is no consistent good/bad trend to anyone on that unit. Most regress and most are just capable of doing terrible things at any moment. Mewhort was better this week, but scary that the next best OL was probably Vagisil.

Castonzo is ... well, the Colts need to replace Castonzo in 2018. It's just a question of whether they go pass-rusher or LT with that first round pick.

I thought haeg was good today.

Castonzo will not be easy to replace.

jasperhobbs
09-17-2017, 08:49 PM

Castanzo should be in his prime but his play has really declined. I don't know whether it is diminishing physical skills or lack of desire. I never figured he would be the type that gets the fat contract and then lays an egg.

omahacolt
09-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Castanzo should be in his prime but his play has really declined. I don't know whether it is diminishing physical skills or lack of desire. I never figured he would be the type that gets the fat contract and then lays an egg.

He was never going to be joe Thomas.

He is an average lt.

nate505
09-17-2017, 09:53 PM
I will say I have a some amount of crow to eat on one thing. I thought the Brissett/Dorsett trade was awful for the Colts, and while I still hate the idea of trading a former first round pick who I believe still has some promise, Brissett is miles ahead of any of the QBs the Colts had. So in that sense it was a good trade.

kitekrazy
09-17-2017, 10:11 PM
I will say I have a some amount of crow to eat on one thing. I thought the Brissett/Dorsett trade was awful for the Colts, and while I still hate the idea of trading a former first round pick who I believe still has some promise, Brissett is miles ahead of any of the QBs the Colts had. So in that sense it was a good trade.

Richardson says hello. I didn't get the idea for drafting a Dorsett in the 1st round not named Tony.

Failing in 1st round picks sets an organization back I think we are seeing this more evident.

What is even more sad is free agency is full of too many players that got paid and not playing quality football.

bertjones
09-17-2017, 10:13 PM
I thought haeg was good today.

Castonzo will not be easy to replace.

He wont be but I think he has to be. You can't keep treating the first half of the season as if you're on a fishing trip and keep your job.

omahacolt
09-17-2017, 10:18 PM
He wont be but I think he has to be. You can't keep treating the first half of the season as if you're on a fishing trip and keep your job.

I won't argue with upgrading the oline ever. I just see the league is having problems developing linemen.

I also don't think he is nearly as bad as people make him out to be

bertjones
09-17-2017, 10:19 PM
I know there are a lot of issues here but one thing I couldn't get out of my
mind is that we need a culture change at WR. They don't handle getting
pressed at the line of scrimmage, don't get the separation they should, have
poor recognition and rarely fight for the ball. I think it's a group that's
living off past press clippings and needs to be shaken up.

kitekrazy
09-17-2017, 10:29 PM
I won't argue with upgrading the oline ever. I just see the league is having problems developing linemen.

When they are good they also become expensive to keep. Play him a RT if someone better comes along.

VeveJones007
09-17-2017, 10:29 PM

I think Ballard sees it that way as well, which is why he brought in Aiken and traded Dorsett. Ballard likes bigger bodies at receiver.

VeveJones007
09-17-2017, 10:31 PM
Hooker played well despite having a clear hitch in his step. You have to like a rookie stepping up and pushing through an injury when the rest of the secondary is beat up.

kitekrazy
09-17-2017, 10:33 PM
I know, but I'd rather have Arians over Chuck everyday of the week.

He does work down the street from my home. Many times I thought of kidnapping him.

FatDT
09-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Not so sure about drafting a LT in the first unless it's seriously a can't miss prospect. Too many busts and disappointments across the league at that spot. College tackles just aren't ready for the pro game anymore. Too much to learn. I haven't looked at FA yet but I hope we can buy some OL and then find good prospects to develop (with a new coaching staff) from the draft.

njcoltfan
09-18-2017, 05:28 AM

I think, as a group they are a soft bunch of pussies, that get alligator arms when they go over the middle, fearing that they are going to take a big hit.

Racehorse
09-18-2017, 07:07 AM

They think he is bad because they forget the other side is also being paid to get past him and they forget that other coaches are better than ours are.

Gimmick
09-18-2017, 07:49 AM

Yeah, after he coached all season in 2012 only for Pagano to steal his thunder in the playoff game, Arians was ready to leave town as fast as he could.

Coltsalr
09-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Yeah, after he coached all season in 2012 only for Pagano to steal his thunder in the playoff game, Arians was ready to leave town as fast as he could.

You're retarded.

Gimmick
09-19-2017, 12:06 AM
You're retarded.

You're stupid. Just like you kept supporting Grigson and Pagano up until the very end. Dumbass :cool:

FatDT
09-19-2017, 09:58 AM
You're stupid. Just like you kept supporting Grigson and Pagano up until the very end. Dumbass :cool:

Bullshit. No one here did that. The big argument was who was more at fault between the two.

Coltsalr
09-19-2017, 10:01 AM

I supported neither. So no.