PDA

View Full Version : I don't get the Gruden admiration

kitekrazy
09-10-2017, 05:41 PM
http://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-short-of-a-miracle-season-this-figures-to-be-paganos-final-season-in-indianapolis

Pagano is merely a bridge to the next guy, maybe Jon Gruden, maybe Dave Toub, one of whom I believe will the head coach here next season.

I have to ask why hasn't any NFL team shown interest and it's closer to decade he hasn't been coaching.

I don't think there's a matching wand in NFL coaching anymore. Most candidates get swept up by colleges. Based on this I wasn't surprised Pagano got a second chance.

Some of the older coaches that got fired show up just to eventually get fired again. We take faith in a familiar name as opposed to performance.
(Rex Ryan)

Also how many of BB's assistants have ever panned out as head coaches?

I think the magic wand is definitely a fairy tale.

nate505
09-10-2017, 05:57 PM
The only admiration I have for him is that he wouldn't be Chuck Pagano.

Indiana V2
09-10-2017, 07:13 PM

And he doesn't tolerate isht like Pagano does.

Coltsalr
09-10-2017, 07:18 PM

That's selling his qualifications a bit short.

That said, I don't get how anyone could possibly be picky when we have Pagano currently.

YDFL Commish
09-10-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm not the biggest Gruden fan. But, I'll say this.

No way he would want to join the Colts. He would want total personnel control
and I can't see he and Ballard co-existing in any way shape or form.

nate505
09-10-2017, 07:36 PM
That's selling his qualifications a bit short.

That said, I don't get how anyone could possibly be picky when we have Pagano currently.

Yeah, he has a lot more going for him than just that. It's just that not being Pagano is enough justification for me to hire someone else.

But like YDFL said, I can't see Gruden and Ballard co-existing, and I still have faith in Ballard and want to see him around.

DrSpaceman
09-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Gruden is not coming back to coaching. Assuming you mean John and not Jay Gruden

He would have done so by now if he wished and he has been away from the game for too long to be effective. You can't just jump back in after a decade away

Indiana V2
09-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Gruden is not coming back to coaching. Assuming you mean John and not Jay Gruden

He would have done so by now if he wished and he has been away from the game for too long to be effective. You can't just jump back in after a decade away

Dick Vermeil says hi.

DrSpaceman
09-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Dick Vermeil says hi.

Dick Vermeil had one great season in 8 after returning to the league and did not win a single playoff game in 7 of those 8 seasons, went to the playoffs 2 out of those 8 seasons

Indiana V2
09-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Dick Vermeil had one great season in 8 after returning to the league and did not win a single playoff game in 7 of those 8 seasons, went to the playoffs 2 out of those 8 seasons

And he won a Super Bowl.

Maniac
09-10-2017, 08:06 PM
He would want total personnel control
and I can't see he and Ballard co-existing in any way shape or form.

How do you know that he would want total control of personnel?

I think he just has an easy gig now where he gets paid plenty of money to do a lot less work. Can't blame him for not wanting to give that up.

As far as why the Gruden admiration? Probably just because he's a larger than life character. He's over the top, has the whole "chucky" thing, etc.

bertjones
09-10-2017, 08:16 PM
I think Toub is the guy Ballard really wanted to bring in the first place and that
is probably where this is going, unless Irsay can reel in harbaugh.

DrSpaceman
09-10-2017, 08:58 PM
And he won a Super Bowl.

He won one Sb and had no other playoff wins in the other 7 seasons he coached.

Not really what I want from this team

YDFL Commish
09-10-2017, 09:01 PM
How do you know that he would want total control of personnel?

I think he just has an easy gig now where he gets paid plenty of money to do a lot less work. Can't blame him for not wanting to give that up.

As far as why the Gruden admiration? Probably just because he's a larger than life character. He's over the top, has the whole "chucky" thing, etc.

I don't know that Gruden would want total personnel control...but if memory serves me right, he fought for that control while in Tampa Bay.