PDA

View Full Version : Ballard

Racehorse
09-09-2017, 05:36 PM
I know some on here have doubts about Ballard's direction for this franchise. I get it. However, I have to point out that the last organization that he worked for just destroyed the Cheaters. I, for one, hope he brought the formula with him when he came.

VeveJones007
09-09-2017, 05:53 PM
He certainly hasn't been faultless, but nobody will be. With how awful this roster was, we need to be a little patient and give him three drafts to sink or swim. I'm still optimistic given his track record and the scouting staff he assembled around him after the draft.

omahacolt
09-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Gm's make mistakes. I will give him at least 4 years. Would like to see more impact players added with money available

DrSpaceman
09-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Havent even played a real game yet with him as GM

I think I will give him some more time

bertjones
09-09-2017, 11:33 PM
I love the fact that he has a strict Compete credo, this franchise has
needed this like forever. But you have to hit on the draft choices and
free agents. We'll see about that.

ChoppedWood
09-10-2017, 12:33 AM
I love the fact that he has a strict Compete credo, this franchise has
needed this like forever. But you have to hit on the draft choices and
free agents. We'll see about that.

Tolzein beat out Morris?

njcoltfan
09-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Tolzein beat out Morris?

Must have, he's starting !

ChoppedWood
09-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Must have, he's starting !

Drop the rah rah go team. What did your eyes tell you? What did they tell the entire world?

Look, if Ballard has to crater this year to finally convince Jim to move on Chuck and that's all part of the master plan, so be it as there is little doubt with Chuck at the wheel we will forever spin in place. But if instead it is a situation with Ballard thinking Tolzein gives us a better chance to win than Morris- then this team is fucked whether it is Chuck Pagano or Chuck Knoll behind the wheel as there will be plenty more Dorsett's to come and starting centers that were never drafted (say whatever you want, first year, cupboard bare, etc. etc... but that is a damn disgrace in personnel management...).

George Wonsley
09-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Just disappointed the O-line is still a mess. Part of that is certainly injuries but this years picks and signings did little to nothing to advance the cause.

Like the incremental improvement approach for the defense and commitment to establishing a solid foundation first. Fully expect at least one difference making free agent signing on this side of the ball next year assuming Ballard feels the defense is ready to make a jump.

Also like the fact he doesn't care about sunk cost. If a player doesn't look like he can contribute in a meaningful way or isnt worth the salary commitment just move on.....

IndyNorm
09-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Definitely agree that it's alarming that the OL is back to being a mess and concerning that the 2 moves Ballard made to at least help out with depth on OL didn't make it out of training camp.

We'll see how all of his signings and draft picks on D progress. Hopefully a lot more hits than misses, but at the very least he can't bat any worse than his predecessor.

Oldcolt
09-10-2017, 10:44 AM
I agree that it sucks that his offensive line help didn't help. But at least he cut them and didn't make them start (Hermann). He makes mistakes and if he sees them he isn't afraid to admit it and start over. I like that.

njcoltfan
09-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Drop the rah rah go team. What did your eyes tell you? What did they tell the entire world?

Look, if Ballard has to crater this year to finally convince Jim to move on Chuck and that's all part of the master plan, so be it as there is little doubt with Chuck at the wheel we will forever spin in place. But if instead it is a situation with Ballard thinking Tolzein gives us a better chance to win than Morris- then this team is fucked whether it is Chuck Pagano or Chuck Knoll behind the wheel as there will be plenty more Dorsett's to come and starting centers that were never drafted (say whatever you want, first year, cupboard bare, etc. etc... but that is a damn disgrace in personnel management...).

I guess you have no appreciation for SARCASM.

ChoppedWood
09-10-2017, 03:21 PM
I guess you have no appreciation for SARCASM.

My bad. Thought it was another staunch supporter that prescribes to this every position is up for grabs bs we are hearing.

Indiana V2
09-10-2017, 05:35 PM
I had high hopes for Ballard when he was hired, now I have my doubts about him.

Luck4Reich
09-10-2017, 07:04 PM
I had high hopes for Ballard when he was hired, now I have my doubts about him.

He inherited a very bad team and a aweful coach that owner refuses to let go.... I will judge after at least four years of drafts. Not after one.

GoBigBlue88
09-10-2017, 07:07 PM
His owner won't let him fire Pagano or sign Kaepernick. I'm not gonna judge him for both of those.

But I'm very concerned that Hankins looks like a LaRon Landry-esque mercenary signing so far.

omahacolt
09-10-2017, 07:56 PM
His owner won't let him fire Pagano or sign Kaepernick. I'm not gonna judge him for both of those.

But I'm very concerned that Hankins looks like a LaRon Landry-esque mercenary signing so far.

what the fuck are you talking about?

hankins was alright today. the dude may not show up in the stat sheet but i didn't think he was an issue at all. do you think he is some dynamic pass rusher or something?

Maniac
09-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Maybe they should put him back at NT where he had the most success previously.

Puck
09-10-2017, 08:21 PM

Why would you think he wants to sign Kaepernick? Kaepernick sucks. And would cost too much.

Luck4Reich
09-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Why would you think he wants to sign Kaepernick? Kaepernick sucks. And would cost too much.

I'm no big fan of Kaepernick but he doesn't suck.

Tolzien sucks and you have no chance to win. I don't think this team ever thought they had a chance today knowing he was their QB.

Puck
09-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Tolzien sucks and you have no chance to win. I don't think this team ever thought they had a chance today knowing he was their QB.

Maybe. But the first time he took a knee during the Anthem he would be cut. So why waste the time.

Luck4Reich
09-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Maybe. But the first time he took a knee during the Anthem he would be cut. So why waste the time.

Yep, by an owner that is probably taking a knee during most anthems to do his line of coke. Lmao:rolleyes:

Puck
09-10-2017, 08:51 PM
Yep, by an owner that is probably taking a knee during most anthems to do his line of coke. Lmao:rolleyes:

Just do away with the singing of it all together at sporting events. Not sure why it's done other than tradition.

Dewey 5
09-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Ballard really hasn't been very impressive to this point. I'm starting to think that the only reason he got the job is because outside of Dam, Ballard is the only guy to agree to Irsay's demand that the worst coach in the league can't be fired.

Hoopsdoc
09-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Cromartie knelt for the anthem last year and Irsay didn't cut him.

Having said that, I don't want Kap cause I think he would suck.

FatDT
09-11-2017, 03:01 PM
I think it's way too early to write Ballard off. I liked his draft, didn't think FA was great, and didn't like keeping Pagano. But that's Irsay's call.

My one problem with him from the beginning was that he agreed to keeping Pagano. Part of me thinks any worthwhile GM would've refused the job with that stipulation.

If he brings in a good HC next season and builds the team up quickly, then this will be worth it. He has a long way to go and a lot to do to remake this team. It's not close.

rcubed
09-11-2017, 03:08 PM
I think it's way too early to write Ballard off. I liked his draft, didn't think FA was great, and didn't like keeping Pagano. But that's Irsay's call.

My one problem with him from the beginning was that he agreed to keeping Pagano. Part of me thinks any worthwhile GM would've refused the job with that stipulation.

If he brings in a good HC next season and builds the team up quickly, then this will be worth it. He has a long way to go and a lot to do to remake this team. It's not close.
From what we have read, irsay told ballard to evaluate pagano this year then choose. I could see where it would still be appealing to an up and coming GM. Owner who is committed and willing to spend, franchise QB in place and towards beginning of career. The team was a mess and would require several years to build what he envisions anyway. Suffer through one year of crap coach, have at least two years of decent to high draft picks, bring your guy in year two and move forward.

GoBigBlue88
09-11-2017, 03:12 PM
From what we have read, irsay told ballard to evaluate pagano this year then choose.

Ballard after one week: "Well, Jim, I've seen enough. I've arrived at my conclusion."

DrSpaceman
09-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Its still one game. Not judging ballard based on that

And I also still think if you get Hooker, Wilson and Davis out on the field together the secondary will be much improved vs what we saw yesterday.

The DL does actually look better than last year. One of the few bright spots yesterday.

omahacolt
09-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Its still one game. Not judging ballard based on that

And I also still think if you get Hooker, Wilson and Davis out on the field together the secondary will be much improved vs what we saw yesterday.

The DL does actually look better than last year. One of the few bright spots yesterday.

Dline is improved. That pass rush is still real bad though

Maniac
09-11-2017, 05:36 PM
For those already down on Ballard, remember that this year's draft was also done with Grigson's scouting team. Ballard didn't have time to bring in his own guys and scout everyone, so he used the info from Grigson's team for this draft. Next year we'll see what he does with his team.

omahacolt
09-11-2017, 05:53 PM
For those already down on Ballard, remember that this year's draft was also done with Grigson's scouting team. Ballard didn't have time to bring in his own guys and scout everyone, so he used the info from Grigson's team for this draft. Next year we'll see what he does with his team.

ballard deserves time. indeed

that doesn't mean we cant be critical of him. he seriously might have made this the worst team in the league.

kitekrazy
09-11-2017, 06:16 PM

that doesn't mean we cant be critical of him. he seriously might have made this the worst team in the league.

So you expect a new GM to fix what a terrible GM did in four years in one season? Consider the Colts in rebuild mode.

rcubed
09-11-2017, 06:31 PM
So you expect a new GM to fix what a terrible GM did in four years in one season? Consider the Colts in rebuild mode.
fix, no. improve, yes.

omahacolt
09-11-2017, 06:32 PM

No.

But I dont expect him to take however many millions of dollars and make them worse

Puck
09-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Cromartie knelt for the anthem last year and Irsay didn't cut him.

Having said that, I don't want Kap cause I think he would suck.

He was cut that week

I take that back. He did it twice. Once after Jim told the team not to do it. Then he was released

IndyNorm
09-11-2017, 09:32 PM

The problem with bringing in Kaepernick is that we'd have to completely revamp our offensive scheme to match his skill set and then would have to switch back once Luck is back. Our coaches aren't even capable of installing 1 effective system much less 2.

Butter
09-11-2017, 09:36 PM
The problem with bringing in Kaepernick is that we'd have to completely revamp our offensive scheme to match his skill set and then would have to switch back once Luck is back. Our coaches aren't even capable of installing 1 effective system much less 2.

Sadly true.

Puck
09-11-2017, 09:36 PM

The defense is all on Ballard. No one can blame the D on Grigson. 11 new starters. The only one that was here last yr is Green. A Pagano guy playing out of position

nate505
09-11-2017, 09:59 PM
He was cut that week

I take that back. He did it twice. Once after Jim told the team not to do it. Then he was released

I don't particularly want to get into the flag standing/sitting debate (especially today), but I have to roll my eyes at a guy who had no trouble endangering the lives of others take the moral high (no pun intended) ground on something that doesn't harm others.

natagu23
09-11-2017, 10:26 PM

Is there a possibility that Ballard is giving Pagano just enough rope to hang himself?

I think he knows and pretty much the whole entire fan base knows that this team isn't going anywhere with Pagano regardless if Luck is health or not.

omahacolt
09-11-2017, 10:28 PM
Is there a possibility that Ballard is giving Pagano just enough rope to hang himself?

I think he knows and pretty much the whole entire fan base knows that this team isn't going anywhere with Pagano regardless if Luck is health or not.

No. I don't see it.

Unless you mean that he is just letting pagano coach then yes.

natagu23
09-11-2017, 10:38 PM
No. I don't see it.

Unless you mean that he is just letting pagano coach then yes.

The reason I say that is because there were, I thought, obvious moves that Ballard could have made to make the roster better but sat on his hands.

Coltsalr
09-11-2017, 10:52 PM
It's possible that his thinking is that with a roster that's criminally undermanned that he might as well let a lameduck coach steward it (and then get fired) as opposed to a potentially worthwhile coach who might have the fanbase sour on him if the team sucks.

Which, yeah, again for Dam. The roster DOES suck and Grigson absolutely dealt Ballard a miserably godawful hand but that does NOT excuse that Pagano is a clearly godawful coach. They are not mutually exclusive.

kitekrazy
09-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Most likely he is not in playing shape either. Plus who knows what his contract is like either. If he plays for another team maybe SF is off the hook for paying him.

Too much controversy anyway.

natagu23
09-11-2017, 11:16 PM
It's possible that his thinking is that with a roster that's criminally undermanned that he might as well let a lameduck coach steward it (and then get fired) as opposed to a potentially worthwhile coach who might have the fanbase sour on him if the team sucks.

Which, yeah, again for Dam. The roster DOES suck and Grigson absolutely dealt Ballard a miserably godawful hand but that does NOT excuse that Pagano is a clearly godawful coach. They are not mutually exclusive.

Either way the roster is a f**king mess.

What's sad is that the AFC South is now a competitive division with the F**king Jags looking pretty solid on defense.

Even if we add talent via the draft next year + free agency, we'll again need a great QB to close the talent gap.

Butter
09-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Either way the roster is a f**king mess.

What's sad is that the AFC South is now a competitive division with the F**king Jags looking pretty solid on defense.

Even if we add talent via the draft next year + free agency, we'll again need a great QB to close the talent gap.

To be fair the Jags had one good game against a Texans team with no QB.

omahacolt
09-12-2017, 06:26 AM

Ballard took grigsons terrible team, and possibly made it worse

natagu23
09-12-2017, 06:27 AM
To be fair the Jags had one good game against a Texans team with no QB.

To be fair, we just got our asses handed to us by the Rams....so.

And last time I checked, Pags is still Head Coach.

Maniac
09-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Of course people can be critical of him, but just wanted to point out that the draft wasn't done with his scouting team. I want to see what he does there with his own people in place.

I don't know who is pushing for TJ Green to be starting out there, but they need to get that dipshit out of the starting lineup (and realistically, off the team)

Dam8610
09-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Week 1 overreaction at its best.

albany ed
09-12-2017, 12:25 PM

I believe that when Ballard took over, this was a ship in such rapid descent, it just had to bottom out before you could begin to raise it up. It's too early to praise or criticize Ballard. I just hope that in a few years, we're looking at a healthy Luck and a very solid team.

GoBigBlue88
09-12-2017, 12:35 PM
I generally agree that you can't really judge Ballard until he has a full year to pro scout and draft scout FOR THE COLTS under his belt. Next year's free agency decisions & draft picks will be completely fair game for criticism.

But a few gripes I have in the interim:

* I get what John Simon does and have no qualms with that signing. Jabaal Sheard is just bad and was grossly overpaid. I wasn't a fan of the signing then and still have major qualms now. Rather see a mid-round LB in that spot, even in a weak LB class.

* The Zach Banner thing is kinda frustrating. Grover Stewart a bit less so, but just feels like a Montori Hughes situation all over again.

* But biggest gripe, again, is preaching COMPETITION and making sure the whole word understands that's your thing, and then...

1. Ignoring the QB competition results entirely. Your guy lost and still got the gig.

2. Starting a guy at CB who was never a part of the CB competition.

3. Whatever the fuck is going on with the OL, it wasn't born out of competition. The only guy playing well is the guy you didn't even really allow to compete, oddly... The OL bothers me in general. You can't go from how you ended last year to the complete clusterfuck of the beginning of this year.

ChoppedWood
09-12-2017, 12:43 PM
I generally agree that you can't really judge Ballard until he has a full year to pro scout and draft scout FOR THE COLTS under his belt. Next year's free agency decisions & draft picks will be completely fair game for criticism.

But a few gripes I have in the interim:

* I get what John Simon does and have no qualms with that signing. Jabaal Sheard is just bad and was grossly overpaid. I wasn't a fan of the signing then and still have major qualms now. Rather see a mid-round LB in that spot, even in a weak LB class.

* The Zach Banner thing is kinda frustrating. Grover Stewart a bit less so, but just feels like a Montori Hughes situation all over again.

* But biggest gripe, again, is preaching COMPETITION and making sure the whole word understands that's your thing, and then...

1. Ignoring the QB competition results entirely. Your guy lost and still got the gig.

2. Starting a guy at CB who was never a part of the CB competition.

3. Whatever the fuck is going on with the OL, it wasn't born out of competition. The only guy playing well is the guy you didn't even really allow to compete, oddly... The OL bothers me in general. You can't go from how you ended last year to the complete clusterfuck of the beginning of this year.

All great points. I've harped and harped on # 3 though and it just makes me furious at this guy. Yep we have an apparent long term stud at the position- awesome, good for us! He goes down, and we don't just sit idle, we don't throw our FA in and tell him to figure it out, nope, we cut his ass so an undrafted rookie FA can take the position instead. No one is going to convince me that that singular decision does not have a marked impact on WHY the OL looks like ass! It's a joke of a solution and no, that's not on Grigson, that's not on having a bad QB situation unfolding because we expected our star to be there, that's not even on Cuck, no, all of that lands in the lap of Ballard!

rcubed
09-12-2017, 12:47 PM
I don't know who is pushing for TJ Green to be starting out there, but they need to get that dipshit out of the starting lineup (and realistically, off the team)

Pagano??? Wasnt green pagano's pick in that draft. That's how I remember it.

omahacolt
09-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Week 1 overreaction at its best.

I said possibly

But you go down the position groups and it sure doesn't look much better. Rb and dline look improved.

rcubed
09-12-2017, 01:04 PM
I said possibly

But you go down the position groups and it sure doesn't look much better. Rb and dline look improved.
and possibly secondary given time to get healthy and some experience.

I would rather see butler back in slot rather than safety though.

GoBigBlue88
09-12-2017, 01:09 PM

Absolutely. Just like D'Joun Smith was before him...

Maniac
09-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Well that would explain the stupidity of that decision.

testcase448
09-12-2017, 02:37 PM
He certainly hasn't been faultless, but nobody will be. With how awful this roster was, we need to be a little patient and give him three drafts to sink or swim. I'm still optimistic given his track record and the scouting staff he assembled around him after the draft.

By the end of the Luck era....:rolleyes:

testcase448
09-12-2017, 02:41 PM
The OL bothers me in general. You can't go from how you ended last year to the complete clusterfuck of the beginning of this year.

Pagano can... he could f... up an anvil

testcase448
09-12-2017, 02:43 PM
I believe that when Ballard took over, this was a ship in such rapid descent,.

The Titanic was a "ship in rapid descent"

This has been a hyper-sonic missile crash, and crater is huge

Racehorse
09-12-2017, 05:46 PM
To be fair, we just got our asses handed to us by the Rams....so.

And last time I checked, Pags is still Head Coach.

Wait! I thought it was the Niners???

apballin
09-12-2017, 06:32 PM
and possibly secondary given time to get healthy and some experience.

I would rather see butler back in slot rather than safety though.

Yeah I don't understand why this hasn't been considered when we're weak at CB and you can throw Hooker and Farley(wholooked great vs the Steelers) in at safeties