PDA

View Full Version : Irsay and Ballard

njcoltfan
08-25-2017, 05:15 PM
I'm beginning to think that Luck is going to miss significant time this season, and those two gentlemen have lied to the fan base again! Thoughts...............

1965southpaw
08-25-2017, 05:49 PM
I'm listening to JMV right now and he's saying that his Colts insiders are saying they are planning to put him in game 3 against Cleveland barring any setbacks. Who knows, though.

omahacolt
08-25-2017, 07:10 PM
I'm beginning to think that Luck is going to miss significant time this season, and those two gentlemen have lied to the fan base again! Thoughts...............

Who gives a shit? Why would they announce it?

Indiana V2
08-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Not concerned, I expect Luck back by week 4.

Butter
08-25-2017, 07:57 PM

I am not sure it will come down to them lying, so much as just not sure. Healing does not happen in defined terms like Madden. Sometimes there are unforeseen issues though yhey probably oversold the odds of a quicker recovery. Who really knows.

GoBigBlue88
08-25-2017, 08:52 PM
My guess: he misses 4-6 games. Colts look awful. Colts go sub .500 this year, learn who can play and who can't, fire Pagano, and get the rebuild in overdrive for 2018.

Dewey 5
08-25-2017, 10:26 PM
My guess: he misses 4-6 games. Colts look awful. Colts go sub .500 this year, learn who can play and who can't, fire Pagano, and get the rebuild in overdrive for 2018.

Pagano will get the injury card pass again.

Butter
08-25-2017, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=GoBigBlue88;22355]My guess: he misses 4-6 games. Colts look awful. Colts go sub .500 this year, learn who can play and who can't, fire Pagano, and get the rebuild in overdrive for 2018.[/QUOTE
I can see that happening.

Brylok
08-25-2017, 10:31 PM
I'm thinking he'll miss all of September and maybe more. This is a rebuild, so I honestly don't care if he misses more time just as long as he gets 100% better. I don't trust the Colts when it comes to injury reports, but a prognosis being incorrect does not necessarily mean that they lied about it.

Johanvil
08-26-2017, 04:17 AM

Something that should and could have been done in 2017 but hey ho new GM's "he's not my head coach but have to give him a year before I definitely fire him next season" klaxon.

njcoltfan
08-26-2017, 07:16 AM

So you figure by year 9-10 of Lucks career, they'll be be contenders again ?? If that's the case, Irsay should fire himself then go check into home.

omahacolt
08-26-2017, 11:25 AM

that is the most likely scenario in my book

omahacolt
08-26-2017, 11:25 AM
So you figure by year 9-10 of Lucks career, they'll be be contenders again ?? If that's the case, Irsay should fire himself then go check into home.

it is the afc south. they will still be contenders for this division this year. regardless if luck is out 4 games.

njcoltfan
08-26-2017, 02:14 PM
it is the afc south. they will still be contenders for this division this year. regardless if luck is out 4 games.

From your mouth to a higher entity's ears!!

Hoopsdoc
08-26-2017, 02:19 PM

Tennessee is building a very good team that will be good for a long time. Houston will be tough just because their defense is really good.

The AFC south isn't the cupcake it used to be. The Colts probably have the worst roster in it.

Indiana V2
08-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Tennessee is building a very good team that will be good for a long time. Houston will be tough just because their defense is really good.

The AFC south isn't the cupcake it used to be. The Colts probably have the worst roster in it.

Thank goodness for Jacksonville.

Maniac
08-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Thank goodness for Jacksonville.

Those assholes lost on purpose last year so we would get stuck with Pagano one more year.

bertjones
08-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Pagano will get the injury card pass again.

I don't think so. I think Ballard was very careful and nuanced to say earlier
that he would judge Pagano by how the players developed, not by the teams
record. My gut feeling is that Ballard would have loved to bring in his guy
from KC(Taub?) but that he had to give a fig leaf to Irsay(Pagano). I think
Pagano is on a very short leash. And if he does play the injury card Ballard
can simply say "yeah, but you didn't properly develop the players you
did have". It's a frustrating situation but as GB opined the rebuilding
probably goes to a new level next year so there is some light.

Maniac
08-26-2017, 06:09 PM
I don't think so. I think Ballard was very careful and nuanced to say earlier
that he would judge Pagano by how the players developed, not by the teams
record. My gut feeling is that Ballard would have loved to bring in his guy
from KC(Taub?) but that he had to give a fig leaf to Irsay(Pagano). I think
Pagano is on a very short leash. And if he does play the injury card Ballard
can simply say "yeah, but you didn't properly develop the players you
did have". It's a frustrating situation but as GB opined the rebuilding
probably goes to a new level next year so there is some light.

I just never understand why Ballard would need to offer a "fig leaf" to Irsay in the form of keeping Pagano. Either Irsay trusted Ballard to rebuild this team or he didn't. Pagano should be no part of that. He obviously hired Ballard so he should trust him to rebuild as he sees fit at that point, and pretty much every time a new GM comes in, that means a new head coach, and it SHOULD have been the case here.

The only excuse that even remotely registers is that they didn't want to make a change with Luck injured to where he couldn't get reps in the new system, but even then, why stick with mediocrity? Just bite the bullet and next year they would be in year 2 of a system instead of starting over like they likely will be.

1965southpaw
08-26-2017, 06:41 PM
My understanding of the situation is that Irsay WAS open to upgrading from Pagano but only if he could land a big name proven winner (harbaugh, Saban, etc...). When he wasn't able to make a deal with any of his short list candidates he made the change he could make (upgrade the GM)......and turn over the reigns to Ballard. I hear the same as Bert....,that Ballard has claimed Chuckie will be assessed on development of young talent......hence I firmly believe he's out after this year even if we manage to limp our way into a conference championship.

bertjones
08-26-2017, 07:34 PM
I just never understand why Ballard would need to offer a "fig leaf" to Irsay in the form of keeping Pagano. Either Irsay trusted Ballard to rebuild this team or he didn't. Pagano should be no part of that. He obviously hired Ballard so he should trust him to rebuild as he sees fit at that point, and pretty much every time a new GM comes in, that means a new head coach, and it SHOULD have been the case here.

The only excuse that even remotely registers is that they didn't want to make a change with Luck injured to where he couldn't get reps in the new system, but even then, why stick with mediocrity? Just bite the bullet and next year they would be in year 2 of a system instead of starting over like they likely will be.

My thought is that Irsay really insisted on keeping Pagano for this year, perhaps to the point of making it a condition. Ballard really wanted the job, primarily because of Luck. Since he knew that this was a rebuilding year anyway
he abided by the "request'. Not exactly the way he wanted to start out
but not fatal to the big picture.

DrSpaceman
08-26-2017, 07:42 PM
My understanding of the situation is that Irsay WAS open to upgrading from Pagano but only if he could land a big name proven winner (harbaugh, Saban, etc...). When he wasn't able to make a deal with any of his short list candidates he made the change he could make (upgrade the GM)......and turn over the reigns to Ballard. I hear the same as Bert....,that Ballard has claimed Chuckie will be assessed on development of young talent......hence I firmly believe he's out after this year even if we manage to limp our way into a conference championship.

This is what I believe as well.

He wanted a new coach but did not want to hire just anyone as the replacement. He missed out on those he was after and just decided to stick with Pagano