PDA

View Full Version : Quick thoughts on Bills Preseason game

Racehorse
08-13-2022, 08:12 PM
1. Preseason sucks, but at least it is football.

2. Coan sucks even worse than preseason jets/Jaguars games. Cut him yesterday.

3. Did I mention preseason games suck balls?

smitty46953
08-13-2022, 08:23 PM

Perfect Recap !!! :cool:

apballin
08-13-2022, 09:07 PM
I wanna see some 3 TE sets with these dudes and put Pittman out wide

That should be fun in the red zone

Mr. Session
08-13-2022, 09:11 PM
I wasn’t impressed by the receivers. Pitt looked good.

I’m curious what others think. Who gets #5?

ChaosTheory
08-13-2022, 10:49 PM
I only got to watch the 1st quarter so far, but for what it's worth, off the top of my head...

-Neither line looked good at first and seemed to get a little better as they went on, but still nothing impressive. For OL I specifically remember Pryor getting beat pretty bad in pass-pro and having to hold to save Ryan. And I remember Pinter elevating to the LB on a run play and the LB shed him off discouragingly easy for the tackle.

-I thought the three-TE sets were interesting. MAC, Ogletree, and Granson lined up together at the goal-line. I think Granson broke off the double-team with Ogletree to catch the outside defender and Ogletree let his man cross his face and stuff the run. Needs work, but interesting formation.

-DL not doing much. I remember Odenigbo letting the RB cut back on him for that huge run early. Ngakoue screamed upfield on one play and really disrupted the pulling OL to blow up a run play.

-The pass-catchers definitely don't look consistent at catching passes or separating aside from MPJ (and Hines). Reich is going to have to scheme these guys open.

Hoopsdoc
08-14-2022, 12:13 AM
I was really impressed with Ehlinger. He has to stop trying to be Superman on every play and learn to just eat the ball occasionally, but he plays with intelligence and tenacity. And he’s pretty accurate. His only flaw is his arm. I think they could probably get by with him as the primary backup.

The touchdown by Woods was a thing of beauty and why he was drafted.

Rodgers should be ahead of Facyson at corner. Hope he’s not out long.

The right tackle Murray, number 71 was really bad.

Nick Cross reminds me of omahas boy Mike Doss.

Spike
08-14-2022, 02:12 AM

Awesome recap brother. Hell, I didn't even have to watch the game. LOL.

Coan is terrible. He should be the 1st one cut immediately.

Racehorse
08-14-2022, 08:10 AM
I wasn’t impressed by the receivers. Pitt looked good.

I’m curious what others think. Who gets #5?

TY

apballin
08-14-2022, 08:54 AM
I was really impressed with Ehlinger. He has to stop trying to be Superman on every play and learn to just eat the ball occasionally, but he plays with intelligence and tenacity. And he’s pretty accurate. His only flaw is his arm. I think they could probably get by with him as the primary backup.

The touchdown by Woods was a thing of beauty and why he was drafted.

Rodgers should be ahead of Facyson at corner. Hope he’s not out long.

The right tackle Murray, number 71 was really bad.

Cross is way more athletic than Doss

Murray did look like shit

That was a dirty hit on Rodgers and it pissed me the fuck off

apballin
08-14-2022, 08:55 AM
TY

Coutee

Dam8610
08-14-2022, 09:27 AM

I really hope Cross wasn't that clueless in coverage.

omahacolt
08-14-2022, 09:38 AM
1) i think we need to bring in TY. I have a feeling wr will be an issue all season. Dulin isn't a guy and Campbell can't be relied on

2) Raimann looked ok. got torched once but otherwise wasn't bad. Seemed to get good push run blocking

3) Yannick is much need speed off the edge

4) fries and french weren't terrible

5) Rodgers is a playmaker.

6) Cross seems like he will be pretty good

smitty46953
08-14-2022, 10:00 AM
1) i think we need to bring in TY. I have a feeling wr will be an issue all season. Dulin isn't a guy and Campbell can't be relied on

2) Raimann looked ok. got torched once but otherwise wasn't bad. Seemed to get good push run blocking

3) Yannick is much need speed off the edge

4) fries and french weren't terrible

5) Rodgers is a playmaker.

6) Cross seems like he will be pretty good

Seen a picture on twitter of French and Fries standing next to each other :cool:

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1558563466985803776/photo/1

albany ed
08-14-2022, 12:39 PM
Seen a picture on twitter of French and Fries standing next to each other :cool:

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1558563466985803776/photo/1

I guess I need to catch-up on my twitter. ;)

Discflinger
08-14-2022, 12:46 PM
What sucks even more is being out of area and having to hear Bills comentary. The guys literally thought Shaquille was out there. Horrid!

Discflinger
08-14-2022, 01:28 PM
I did like what I saw from Granson, however. We might end up with the best TE room in the league by the end of the season.

CletusPyle
08-14-2022, 02:27 PM
Was out of town and had to record it and watched today. I don't feel like a learned anything about this team from that game. Next week number ones aren't playing from what I heard, so I guess it will be week 3 before I get any idea about this team and if we have improved as much as I had hoped.

To be perfectly honest, I thought Ryan's arm looked pretty weak, but I am not panicking yet! Still won't be surprised if we see Wentz have a great season in Washington!

HoosierinFL
08-14-2022, 03:01 PM
1) i think we need to bring in TY.

This was my main takeaway after the game

Hoopsdoc
08-14-2022, 03:08 PM
Cross is way more athletic than Doss

Murray did look like shit

That was a dirty hit on Rodgers and it pissed me the fuck off

Doss was plenty athletic, if I remember correctly. Couldn’t cover a fence post though.

Hoopsdoc
08-14-2022, 03:11 PM
Was out of town and had to record it and watched today. I don't feel like a learned anything about this team from that game. Next week number ones aren't playing from what I heard, so I guess it will be week 3 before I get any idea about this team and if we have improved as much as I had hoped.

To be perfectly honest, I thought Ryan's arm looked pretty weak, but I am not panicking yet! Still won't be surprised if we see Wentz have a great season in Washington!

I wasn’t impressed with Ryan either but they were running the most vanilla stuff imaginable and it was literally his first game with all his receivers.

Im gonna hold off on judgement.

Wentz will never win anything. I think last year was as good as he can be.

omahacolt
08-14-2022, 06:37 PM
I did like what I saw from Granson, however. We might end up with the best TE room in the league by the end of the season.

that is probably a huge stretch. at best i am hoping for some good depth.

omahacolt
08-14-2022, 06:40 PM

are you a wentz truther?

i thought those guys were a myth

CletusPyle
08-14-2022, 07:36 PM
are you a wentz truther?

:D

No, I just think he is better than he showed us, especially down the stretch. Maybe the Washington coaching staff will do a better job getting the most out of him? In case anyone is interested, here's a look at his first TD drive....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSva-HBB8YQ

Chromeburn
08-14-2022, 08:10 PM

No, I just think he is better than he showed us, especially down the stretch. Maybe the Washington coaching staff will do a better job getting the most out of him? In case anyone is interested, here's a look at his first TD drive....

He looked good there. See where he is mid season, his mechanics erode and decision making goes down the tubes. I’ll remember him for the pats game. Rattled and a bad decision waiting to happen. So much so, they would even trust him to throw.

Discflinger
08-14-2022, 09:30 PM
that is probably a huge stretch. at best i am hoping for some good depth.

Totally. As always, my phone has a breathelizer and won’t let me post unless I blow over.25.

Hoopsdoc
08-14-2022, 09:35 PM
are you a wentz truther?

I’ve still got the red ass that we wasted a year with that turd.

Probably my least favorite Colt of all time.

Spike
08-14-2022, 10:48 PM
I’ve still got the red ass that we wasted a year with that turd.

Probably my least favorite Colt of all time.

Probably my least favorite too. I started out with hope and ended with a truck load of doubt. He has a boatload of ability, but the brain of a snail. I just hope he helps the Colts by playing enough games to get us a 2nd rounder.

Racehorse
08-15-2022, 06:32 AM

That was uninspiring for them.

dwilli57
08-15-2022, 08:45 AM
What sucks even more is being out of area and having to hear Bills comentary. The guys literally thought Shaquille was out there. Horrid!

I have Puck's tv service and watched on FOX-Indy but switched to the national feed from Buffalo for some reason. That was just so painful to listen to the Bills' homies. Switched it back.

Ironshaft
08-15-2022, 08:49 AM
I am waiting to judge Ryan and the first team offense until JT is lined up behind him.

I have always hated Hines lined up single back behind QB and running between the tackles. That is NOT who he is. We wasted at least one down per set of downs early running him like he is JT instead of NH. The draw for 14 yards was the only NH play they called for him. Get him out in space; run wheel routes and shallow outs. NH behind QB between the tackles is a wasted down.

This offense will run as JT (and to a lesser extent Lindsey Phillips) runs it. Play action and our passing game will come from an effective run game.

ChaosTheory
08-15-2022, 09:48 AM
I am waiting to judge Ryan and the first team offense until JT is lined up behind him.

I have always hated Hines lined up single back behind QB and running between the tackles. That is NOT who he is. We wasted at least one down per set of downs early running him like he is JT instead of NH. The draw for 14 yards was the only NH play they called for him. Get him out in space; run wheel routes and shallow outs. NH behind QB between the tackles is a wasted down.

This offense will run as JT (and to a lesser extent Lindsey Phillips) runs it. Play action and our passing game will come from an effective run game.

Reverse that.

But yeah, things will look different in a real game because everything is so basic in preseason. Not much scheme help. But you can still see if an OL misses a block, if a DE gets stood up, if a WR doesn't get separation.

WR for instance, these guys didn't look too great the other day, but it wouldn't surprise me if a more creative scheme helps them out a ton. They still need work, of course.

HoosierinFL
08-15-2022, 09:55 AM

He made all the safe throws on that drive, the kind of stuff he didn't do with us. But wait until its a real game with pressure, and then see what he does...

JAFF
08-15-2022, 10:09 AM

They may be playing Hines more with Taylor if they cant find better option at the WR spot.

Oldcolt
08-15-2022, 10:44 AM
It is beginning to look to me like this is going to be a defensive heavy unit this year. Banogu played well. If he could make a move it would be great for the defense. Cornerback looks like it is going to be a strength. The D line could be a terror. If we make a run this year it will be because we are a balanced team. This defense has a chance to be something special. Offense is still feeling its way so it is hard to say how they will be.

Mr. Session
08-15-2022, 01:17 PM

I get this vibe like the organization and the fan base is essentially trying to “will” Hines into being our own Darren Sproles.

I just don’t see it. To me, he’s a poor man’s Sproles. I will concede it’s hard to assess that given Wentz outright refusal to play competent football last year.

I genuinely get disgusted when I see him like up to return punts. Dude does not look like he feels natural fielding punts compared to someone life Rodgers, and when he does run I feel like the difference is soooo clear. I wish they’d just let Rodgers take ownership of all the return duties.

Pez
08-15-2022, 03:41 PM
I get this vibe like the organization and the fan base is essentially trying to “will” Hines into being our own Darren Sproles.

I just don’t see it. To me, he’s a poor man’s Sproles. I will concede it’s hard to assess that given Wentz outright refusal to play competent football last year.

I genuinely get disgusted when I see him like up to return punts. Dude does not look like he feels natural fielding punts compared to someone life Rodgers, and when he does run I feel like the difference is soooo clear. I wish they’d just let Rodgers take ownership of all the return duties.

I agree, I like Hines, but I think his involvement will be difficult. He is a great player, but I don't see where playing to his strengths fits into our overall scheme.

If a place is made for him in our scheme, we definitely don't want him returning punts.

Racehorse
08-15-2022, 05:13 PM
Reverse that.

But yeah, things will look different in a real game because everything is so basic in preseason. Not much scheme help. But you can still see if an OL misses a block, if a DE gets stood up, if a WR doesn't get separation.

WR for instance, these guys didn't look too great the other day, but it wouldn't surprise me if a more creative scheme helps them out a ton. They still need work, of course.

That is my thought. They have plays designed for JT, but Hines is in. It is not to see how Hines does, but to see if the line can do their job on those plays.

HoosierinFL
08-16-2022, 12:37 PM

I have to say, there has been a shit ton of hype for Hines for a good 2 years. Just everyone keeps saying "oh yea don't forget about this guy" and "what a weapon the Colts have in Hines" but I've yet to really see it. Sure he's made some plays, I'm not saying that, but he hasn't done anything like make game altering plays, or just flat out dominate a game like JT does (or thinking of TY vs the Texans). He just seems to have a few nice splash plays every now and then and lots of dud plays.

But I do still wonder if it wasn't Wentz just not calling the right play when Hines was in the backfield.

Racehorse
08-16-2022, 05:36 PM
I have to say, there has been a shit ton of hype for Hines for a good 2 years. Just everyone keeps saying "oh yea don't forget about this guy" and "what a weapon the Colts have in Hines" but I've yet to really see it. Sure he's made some plays, I'm not saying that, but he hasn't done anything like make game altering plays, or just flat out dominate a game like JT does (or thinking of TY vs the Texans). He just seems to have a few nice splash plays every now and then and lots of dud plays.

But I do still wonder if it wasn't Wentz just not calling the right play when Hines was in the backfield.

Probably Wentz

IndyNorm
08-16-2022, 05:52 PM

Definitely a lot of that was on Wentz, and also Brissett in '19. Here's his overall production by year:

'18 - 739 yds (314 rush/425 rec); 4 TDs (2/2)
'19 - 519 yds (199 rush/320 rec): 2 TDs (1/0)
'20 - 862 yds (380 rush/482 rec): 7 TDs (3/4)
'21 - 586 yds (276/310); 3 TDs (2/1)

While he's never going to be a good feature back he's definitely proven he's a good weapon when he has a good QB.

Butter
08-16-2022, 09:42 PM

If your standard is JT last year or TY vs the Texans you are going to be disappointed in 99% of players and that is a ridiculous bar to hold them to.

albany ed
08-17-2022, 08:58 AM
That is my thought. They have plays designed for JT, but Hines is in. It is not to see how Hines does, but to see if the line can do their job on those plays.

Excellent assessment. As fans, we want to see success, as coaches, they're working on specifics. Taylor is the main RB, so if he's not playing in preseason, the coaching staff still needs to see the OL do their job on the plays designed for Taylor. Hines was not running his plays, but Taylors'.

Oldcolt
08-17-2022, 09:55 AM
The issue I have with looking like crap in preseason isn’t that we look like crap. Good teams often look like crap as they work on specific things and watch specific players. Then the real season starts and these really good teams look like a good team. Not so with Reich coached teams. They look like shit in preseason and carry it over into the regular season-losing like hell in the first month. Until I see Reich shows he is able to get a team ready to play when the season starts I am going to be a little worried. It is the biggest, and really only, issue I have with Reich as a coach.

rm1369
08-17-2022, 12:56 PM
The issue I have with looking like crap in preseason isn’t that we look like crap. Good teams often look like crap as they work on specific things and watch specific players. Then the real season starts and these really good teams look like a good team. Not so with Reich coached teams. They look like shit in preseason and carry it over into the regular season-losing like hell in the first month. Until I see Reich shows he is able to get a team ready to play when the season starts I am going to be a little worried. It is the biggest, and really only, issue I have with Reich as a coach.

I won’t disagree, but a good start to that would be to have the same starting QB two years in a row. That’s certainly not the only factor. It is a big one though.