PDA

View Full Version : Darius Leonard on PUP

Dewey 5
07-24-2022, 09:31 PM
The Maniac will start camp on the PUP list. In Colts speak that means he’s done. I’ve already accepted that.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/24/darius-leonard-starts-camp-on-pup-list/

ChaosTheory
07-24-2022, 09:37 PM
They told us at the beginning of June that this would be the case.

Pez
07-25-2022, 08:23 AM
Done??? I thought he was supposed to miss training camp but was on track for the regular season?

Racehorse
07-25-2022, 10:33 AM
Done??? I thought he was supposed to miss training camp but was on track for the regular season?

He is referring to the lack of honesty with reporting injuries on W 56th St.

Brylok
07-26-2022, 11:36 AM
The Maniac will start camp on the PUP list. In Colts speak that means he’s done. I’ve already accepted that.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/24/darius-leonard-starts-camp-on-pup-list/

Now he's not putting a time table on returning. We've heard this before.

smitty46953
07-26-2022, 12:43 PM
Darius Leonard now wants to be called Shaquille Leonard his middle name.

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-lb-darius-leonard-wants-to-be-called-by-his-middle-name-shaquille-going-fo

:cool:

Racehorse
07-26-2022, 12:55 PM
I just call him Maniac, but Shaquille is okay. Gonna be hard to remember the first few times.

nate505
07-26-2022, 03:25 PM
I have no issues calling anyone whatever for the most part, but for fucks sake, ask that of people your rookie year or in college or something.

Hoopsdoc
07-26-2022, 04:51 PM
I’m starting to get the feeling that this is gonna be an issue into the season.

ChaosTheory
07-26-2022, 05:43 PM
I have no issues calling anyone whatever for the most part, but for fucks sake, ask that of people your rookie year or in college or something.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. I go by my middle name, so I guess I can empathize. But I also knew if I didn't speak up the first couple days of class, I'd be using my dad's name all semester.

I don't know if I can un-Darius him after 5 years. I can barely get Okereke right and I never did stop saying Antoine "Bethay-UH."

JAFF
08-18-2022, 08:42 PM
I’m starting to get the feeling that this is gonna be an issue into the season.

You may be right

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/08/18/colts-lb-shaquille-leonard-likely-wont-be-100-when-hes-back/65410024007/

WESTFIELD — All-Pro Colts linebacker Shaquille Leonard remains on the physically/unable to perform list, and he hasn’t practiced at all in training camp so far.

Leonard has been on the field for every practice, and he’s started throwing to the other linebackers in the drills.

But the Colts have not set a timetable yet for Leonard’s return from offseason back surgery, a procedure that was designed to relieve the pressure two discs in his spine were putting on his nerves, an injury that caused functionality problems in his left calf and ankle.

Indianapolis is expecting Leonard to take a little time to get back to full speed once he’s fully healthy.

“When he gets cleared, he’s not going to be 100%, and I think he is going to have to work his way back into it,” Colts head coach Frank Reich said. “This has happened to everybody, right? This happens to all the great ones.”

For example, Reich cited Peyton Manning’s performance after undergoing July surgery to remove a bursa sac from his left knee in 2008.

“He played the first four games, and he was a mere shell of what (he normally was), but we found ways to win (some of) those games, and he found ways to play winning football,” Reich said as Manning had a 79.2 passer rating over the first four games and 101.1 the rest of the season. “Until finally, around Week 5 or Week 6, he hit his stride.”

Because of the lingering back issue, Leonard already has experience playing at less than full strength.

Leonard’s left ankle gave him trouble throughout the 2021 season, robbing him of his signature explosiveness, but he still found a way to play 91.8% of the snaps and make 122 tackles, eight forced fumbles, four interceptions and three fumble recoveries.

From the sounds of it, Leonard may need to draw on that experience again when he returns to the lineup.

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
Back to School
It’s that time again! Prepare for the best year ever with essential school supplies, delicious snacks to pack, and more.
Read Now in the e-Edition
“He is going to have to figure out how to play feeling the way he feels,” Reich said. “Not feeling 100%, feeling like maybe this isn’t quite all the way back, but I’ve still got to figure out how to play winning football.”

apballin
08-19-2022, 10:20 PM
He’ll be in there

Don’t doubt the maniac

TheMugwump
08-20-2022, 10:46 AM
He’ll be in there

Don’t doubt the maniac

Exactly.

Plus, he's not a quarterback. He plays a position that requires toughness...

CanuckColt
08-20-2022, 10:36 PM
Darius Leonard now wants to be called Shaquille Leonard his middle name.

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-lb-darius-leonard-wants-to-be-called-by-his-middle-name-shaquille-going-fo

:cool:

I cannot get used to "Shaquille"...he will always be "Darius" to me.

JAFF
08-21-2022, 08:39 AM

Thats how I feel about Hootie

Colts And Orioles
08-21-2022, 09:57 AM

o

I call Earvin Johnson "Earvin Johnson" ...... he hasn't played basketball in 26 years, so I don't see any reason why a 63 year-old man needs to be called by a cheesy nickname that was given to him when he was a sophomore in high school.

o

apballin
08-21-2022, 12:08 PM
o

I call Earvin Johnson "Earvin Johnson" ...... he hasn't played basketball in 26 years, so I don't see any reason why a 63 year-old man needs to be called by a cheesy nickname that was given to him when he was a sophomore in high school.

o

Maybe if I knew them personally but I know the guy on the football field is Maniac

I’ll call him maniac

I sure don’t call Terry Bollea anything other than his cheesy nickname

Colts And Orioles
08-21-2022, 03:56 PM
Maybe if I knew them personally but I know the guy on the football field is Maniac

I’ll call him maniac

I sure don’t call Terry Bollea anything other than his cheesy nickname.

o

Oh, I'm fine with cheesy nicknames for players while they are active in their sports careers.

I'm fine with calling Darius Leonard "Maniac" while he's playing in the NFL, as I was fine with calling George Gervin "Iceman" when he played for the San Anotonio Spurs ...... I just won't be calling them those names 30 or 40 years after they retire.

o

ChaosTheory
08-21-2022, 07:31 PM
o

o

I don't know, he was always publicly known as Magic Johnson. TY Hilton's name is Eugene Marquis, but I'm sure he'll always go by TY.

I know this isn't exactly the same... but in a way, Leonard is kind of going the route of Cassius Clay and Lew Alcindor in that they changed their names after becoming world-famous, household names. Clay was a world champion before he was Muhammad Ali, Alcindor was an NBA champion and MVP before he was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. It was before my time, but I've read/heard people say they had a hard time (if ever) coming around to those name changes.

By the way, I personally think Lew Alcindor and especially Cassius Clay are two of the coolest names in sports history.

Racehorse
08-21-2022, 08:28 PM
I see nothing wrong with calling them the name everyone called them when they played. After all, they are still referred to by those names nearly everywhere they are mentioned.

Colts And Orioles
08-21-2022, 08:42 PM
I don't know, he was always publicly known as Magic Johnson. TY Hilton's name is Eugene Marquis, but I'm sure he'll always go by TY.

I know this isn't exactly the same ...... but in a way, Leonard is kind of going the route of Cassius Clay and Lew Alcindor in that they changed their names after becoming world-famous, household names. Clay was a world champion before he was Muhammad Ali, Alcindor was an NBA champion and MVP before he was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. It was before my time, but I've read/heard people say they had a hard time (if ever) coming around to those name changes.

By the way, I personally think Lew Alcindor and especially Cassius Clay are two of the coolest names in sports history.

o

I always call Muhammad Ali "Muhammad Ali", and the same with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

My reference was regarding calling people by their nicknames for their entire lives, not changing one's name due to slave-name and/or religious purposes, which was the case with both Ali and Jabbar. Ali and Jabbar were both household names before they changed their names. Ali changed his name prior to beating Sonny Liston, he only announced publicly after winning the title.

o

Oldcolt
08-21-2022, 10:16 PM
A person has a right to be called whatever the hell they want to be called. I never understood why people give a shit what someone wants to be called. I just hope the guy comes back whole and soon.

Butter
08-21-2022, 10:46 PM
A person has a right to be called whatever the hell they want to be called. I never understood why people give a shit what someone wants to be called.

It is usually some form of bigotry.

Hoopsdoc
08-22-2022, 12:04 AM

Lol wut?

Butter
08-22-2022, 01:09 AM
Lol wut?

Track the thread and use reading comprehension.

JAFF
08-22-2022, 06:46 AM

Ali claimed he should get an exemption from the draft due to religious beliefs. As I recall, many white politicians condemned him, at the same time sending their children college and getting a deferment from military service.

There were several “junior colleges” created so people who could afford it, enrolled their sons and ducked the draft. Poor kids couldnt buy their way out.

ChaosTheory
08-22-2022, 08:59 AM
o

I always call Muhammad Ali "Muhammad Ali", and the same with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

My reference was regarding calling people by their nicknames for their entire lives, not changing one's name due to slave-name and/or religious purposes, which was the case with both Ali and Jabbar. Ali and Jabbar were both household names before they changed their names. Ali changed his name prior to beating Sonny Liston, he only announced publicly after winning the title.

o

Sure, I do, too. It was just an interesting thought you gave me.

Magic Johnson and TY Hilton go by nicknames, but because they always have, there was never any mixup with the public.

In contrast, Ali and Kareem actually legally changed their names, but had a lot more mixup because the public knew them as superstars under different names. I think Leonard is getting that same kind of mixup now. The public for the past five seasons saw a perennial All-Pro and fan-favorite come up under the name Darius.

Hoopsdoc
08-22-2022, 09:28 AM
Track the thread and use reading comprehension.

I’m sure it makes sense to you but you’ll have to explain it to me.

Colts And Orioles
08-22-2022, 01:43 PM

o

With Ali, it was unquestionably bigotry.

I don't recall it being an issue with Jabbar, partly because his name-change came 7 years later, but mostly because he was much less of a controversial figure than was Ali.

Coincidentally, Jabbar (who was still Alcindor at the time) along with Jim Brown, Bill Russell, and numerous other Black athletes supported Ali at the Cleveland Summit Project in June of 1967.

June 4, 1967: The Muhammad Ali Cleveland Summit

(Zinn Education Project)

https://www.zinnedproject.org/news/tdih/muhammed-ali-summit/

o

Racehorse
08-22-2022, 05:46 PM
Sure, I do, too. It was just an interesting thought you gave me.

Magic Johnson and TY Hilton go by nicknames, but because they always have, there was never any mixup with the public.

In contrast, Ali and Kareem actually legally changed their names, but had a lot more mixup because the public knew them as superstars under different names. I think Leonard is getting that same kind of mixup now. The public for the past five seasons saw a perennial All-Pro and fan-favorite come up under the name Darius.The announcers do a great job of adapting to the change. Not me. Every time they say Shaquille Leonard, I have to think. As the season progresses, and I hear it more, it will be easier. until then, I will refer to him as the Maniac.

Racehorse
08-22-2022, 05:48 PM
o

With Ali, it was unquestionably bigotry.

I don't recall it being an issue with Jabbar, partly because his name-change came 7 years later, but mostly because he was much less of a controversial figure than was Ali.

Coincidentally, Jabbar (who was still Alcindor at the time) along with Jim Brown, Bill Russell, and numerous other Black athletes supported Ali at the Cleveland Summit Project in June of 1967.

June 4, 1967: The Muhammad Ali Cleveland Summit

(Zinn Education Project)

https://www.zinnedproject.org/news/tdih/muhammed-ali-summit/

o

He was Ali before I knew who he was. I lived close to Louisville, where he was raised, so
i could have heard the name Cassius Clay before then, but I didn't. I must be younger than you are, lol.

Being from the area, I heard his song quite often.

YDFL Commish
08-22-2022, 06:58 PM
This thread has gone way off the tracks.:confused:

Racehorse
08-22-2022, 07:53 PM
This thread has gone way off the tracks.:confused:

I prefer to use the term rails. Tracks is just a nickname for the actual rails.