PDA

View Full Version : Analytics- Ryan V Wentz

Lov2fish
06-29-2022, 07:25 PM
This guys has some great stats and break down of QB versus QB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpG6h6XNoU

Colts And Orioles
06-29-2022, 09:15 PM
o

I believe that Ryan will have a good season with the Colts, and that Wentz will have a good season with the Commanders/Redskins ...... if that comes to fruition, everybody will be happy (at least Colts fans and Washington fans will be.)

o

Indystu2
07-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Wonder how some of those stats are collected and measured, but an interesting listen.

Chromeburn
07-09-2022, 02:13 PM
Wonder how some of those stats are collected and measured, but an interesting listen.

It’s just basic analytics. You can get them through next gen stats I believe which does them for the NFL.

nate505
07-23-2022, 01:25 PM
I went from being completely "meh" on the Ryan signing at first to being downright thrilled that he's here. Mostly because I thought at the time he was over the hill, but now I believe he's not as over the hill as I perceived him to be.

YDFL Commish
07-23-2022, 08:08 PM
I went from being completely "meh" on the Ryan signing at first to being downright thrilled that he's here. Mostly because I thought at the time he was over the hill, but now I believe he's not as over the hill as I perceived him to be.

This isn't like signing Rivers, who never had an arm to begin with. Ryan has also never had an injury history, so there is plenty of tread left on the tires.

ChaosTheory
07-24-2022, 11:27 AM
This isn't like signing Rivers, who never had an arm to begin with. Ryan has also never had an injury history, so there is plenty of tread left on the tires.

People like to bring up the comparison with Rivers to the Colts in 2020, which is understandable. But I keep looking more to an example like Manning to Denver in 2012.

Manning turned 36 in March before the 2012 season (Ryan just turned 37). He wasn't the same athlete he was in IND, but even with his age and neck/nerve issue, he had plenty in the tank to lead roster that was just missing a QB (and the offense was stellar for three seasons).

Denver's D was solid and the offense had some guys that didn't explode onto the scene until Manning arrived. Demaryius Thomas was a third-year guy with a career high of 551yds and Eric Decker was a third-year guy with a career high of 612yds. They had 1400+ and 1000+ respectively in 2012.

I'm not claiming Ryan is as good as Manning or that we have a Thomas-Decker tandem or claiming any other 1:1 comparisons with those teams... I'm just saying there are some similarities. There's no reason to think Ryan is old/broken and can't make an exponential difference for individual players and the team as a whole.

JAFF
07-24-2022, 11:44 AM
People like to bring up the comparison with Rivers to the Colts in 2020, which is understandable. But I keep looking more to an example like Manning to Denver in 2012.

Manning turned 36 in March before the 2012 season (Ryan just turned 37). He wasn't the same athlete he was in IND, but even with his age and neck/nerve issue, he had plenty in the tank to lead roster that was just missing a QB (and the offense was stellar for three seasons).

Denver's D was solid and the offense had some guys that didn't explode onto the scene until Manning arrived. Demaryius Thomas was a third-year guy with a career high of 551yds and Eric Decker was a third-year guy with a career high of 612yds. They had 1400+ and 1000+ respectively in 2012.

I'm not claiming Ryan is as good as Manning or that we have a Thomas-Decker tandem or claiming any other 1:1 comparisons with those teams... I'm just saying there are some similarities. There's no reason to think Ryan is old/broken and can't make an exponential difference for individual players and the team as a whole.

IF the O line stays relatively healthy, the run game will make it hard to double any one receiver. Plus, the running backs need to be targeted early and often. Ryan has a history of distributing the ball to the open guy.

Lov2fish
07-24-2022, 01:31 PM

Manning also went 1-1 in Super Bowls with the Donkeys!
I will be extremely ecstatic if Ryan went 1-1 in Super Bowls with the Colts! Of course it would be orgasmic if he went 2-0, or 3-0. Hey a guy can dream....

YDFL Commish
07-24-2022, 06:42 PM

I agree. But, Ryan has a stronger arm than the 2012 version of Manning.

Pez
07-25-2022, 09:04 AM
I am homer-level excited about Ryan as well.

I am really reminded a lot of some of the comments made last year and perhaps the year before, that we really need a QB to "make the layups."

I hope that we are moving forward with the same level of expectation with Matt Ryan. If that's the case, then I think Ryan can certainly fit that bill from a physical perspective, but more importantly from a mental perspective.

I was never on board with Rivers on 2020, and all of us knew 3-4 weeks in that Wentz was not the guy in 2021. From what I think this team should expect from it's QB, Ryan can fit the bill for years.

rcubed
07-25-2022, 10:41 AM
I liked the rivers move and he delivered basically what I expected

I talked myself into getting excited in the wentz move, thought it might be better than it was and was ultimately frustrated and irritated

I think ryan will do much better than our last two experiments. He is smart and can physically perform well enough. With the experience the ream has gotten last couple years I think we make a deep playoff run baring injury

Go colts!

Ironshaft
07-25-2022, 12:54 PM
I am homer-level excited about Ryan as well.

I am really reminded a lot of some of the comments made last year and perhaps the year before, that we really need a QB to "make the layups."

I hope that we are moving forward with the same level of expectation with Matt Ryan. If that's the case, then I think Ryan can certainly fit that bill from a physical perspective, but more importantly from a mental perspective.

I was never on board with Rivers on 2020, and all of us knew 3-4 weeks in that Wentz was not the guy in 2021. From what I think this team should expect from it's QB, Ryan can fit the bill for years.
I am not trying to sound smart but I went to Training Camp last year with my 19-year-old son and after seeing Wentz throw about ten passes in helmet and shells and plain miss two of his throws and under-throw/overthrow a couple of more, I turned to him and said "he is not the guy."

There is just something missing from Carson Wentz that the great QBs have.

Pez
07-25-2022, 02:27 PM
I am not trying to sound smart but I went to Training Camp last year with my 19-year-old son and after seeing Wentz throw about ten passes in helmet and shells and plain miss two of his throws and under-throw/overthrow a couple of more, I turned to him and said "he is not the guy."

You saw it long before my blue tinted glasses let me see it. Just watching him hold the ball for soooo long and knowing that this is not how our offense is supposed to work. But but but it will be fine he missed camp, he missed preseason, Frank will set it right...

In the end, it took Jonathan Taylor to get us in a position to make the playoffs after 1-4 start, it just wasnt quite enough to protect us from Carson Wentz.

Chromeburn
07-28-2022, 10:44 PM

I had serious doubts about the guy after reading through the eagles boards and Philly articles. I didn’t like his inaccuracy and other red flags, my gut was telling me no. But hey they swung and missed, it happens. Also fans want to be optimistic before a season, so I was hoping my gut was wrong.

I have none of those worries with Ryan. I think it was one of the best moves of the off-season.

Lov2fish
07-29-2022, 09:47 AM
I had serious doubts about the guy after reading through the eagles boards and Philly articles. I didn’t like his inaccuracy and other red flags, my gut was telling me no. But hey they swung and missed, it happens. Also fans want to be optimistic before a season, so I was hoping my gut was wrong.

I have none of those worries with Ryan. I think it was one of the best moves of the off-season.

Ryan is gonna change the tempo big time. I have watched several snippets of training camp on you tube. Watching him put a ball where nobody can get it but his receiver is refreshing. His release is much quicker than I thought. I am in full homerism excitement. The biggest thing I noticed on those videos? Reggie Wayne. If a receiver is off just a split second he is in their ear hole. A little Peyton rubbed off on Reggie. I think he will have an OK receiver room playing above their pay grade.

Oldcolt
07-29-2022, 10:04 AM
Ryan is gonna change the tempo big time. I have watched several snippets of training camp on you tube. Watching him put a ball where nobody can get it but his receiver is refreshing. His release is much quicker than I thought. I am in full homerism excitement. The biggest thing I noticed on those videos? Reggie Wayne. If a receiver is off just a split second he is in their ear hole. A little Peyton rubbed off on Reggie. I think he will have an OK receiver room playing above their pay grade.

I had not heard that about Reggie. Makes me smile big time. This team needs that kind of accountability big time. Didn't see that in last years team. We need to toughen up.

Chromeburn
07-29-2022, 09:19 PM

Faster release. Faster decision making. And he will pull the trigger on his first read. So many times I remember watching Wentz and he would hold the ball, like Brisset, and the pass rush would get to him. But he would fight it off then throw the ball in the chaos. Exciting play, but totally unnecessary. He will get hurt playing like that. Ryan will just get rid of the ball, plus he was one of the best in the league against the blitz last year. So he will get rid of it to the right place. He might throw more interceptions than Wentz, but the offense will move with more efficiency and teams will have to defend the pass. None of this guys cheating up on the under Meath passes bc Wentz won’t throw them.

Colts And Orioles
09-11-2022, 09:45 PM
o

I believe that Ryan will have a good season with the Colts, and that Wentz will have a good season with the Commanders/Redskins ...... if that comes to fruition, everybody will be happy (at least Colts fans and Washington fans will be.)

o
o

Ryan had a pretty good day, Wentz had a really good day ...... 1 game down, 16 games to go.

Wentz Tosses 4 TDs, Commanders Come Back to Beat Jaguars

(Associated Press)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401437646

o

apballin
09-11-2022, 09:59 PM
o

Ryan had a pretty good day, Wentz had a really good day ...... 1 game down, 16 games to go.

(Associated Press)

o

Matt Ryan made more key late throws in the first game then Wentz made all of last season

IndyNorm
09-11-2022, 10:11 PM
o

(Associated Press)

o

Ryan had a horrible game. Threw a pick to a DE and could barely handle a snap for half of the game. I'm sure Wentz will shit the bed this season like he always does, but the Commanders (and Falcons for that matter) won this round :cool:

IndyNorm
09-11-2022, 10:13 PM
Matt Ryan made more key late throws in the first game then Wentz made all of last season

As bad as Wentz was, he still led us to wins of 31-3 and 31-0 against basically the same team we lost to today (yeah, I know we technically tied, but we really lost). Round 1 goes to Wentz and the Commanders, easy :cool:

Colts And Orioles
09-11-2022, 10:23 PM
o

(Associated Press)

o

Matt Ryan made more key late throws in the first game then Wentz made all of last season.

o

My comment was in regard to my supposition that both QB's will have a good year this year, not in regard to how well either of them played last year. Wentz is off to a good start after 1 game so far. Like I said, 1 down, 16 to go.

o

Colts And Orioles
09-11-2022, 11:48 PM
o

By the way, I'm not bragging ...... when all is said and done, my assertion about both Wentz and Ryan having good seasons may wind up looking awful. I was simply making a notation after the first game of the season.

o

CanuckColt
09-11-2022, 11:56 PM
Wentz or whoever....just glad the Jags lost.

Racehorse
09-12-2022, 06:46 AM
As bad as Wentz was, he still led us to wins of 31-3 and 31-0 against basically the same team we lost to today (yeah, I know we technically tied, but we really lost). Round 1 goes to Wentz and the Commanders, easy :cool:

Well, we thought we had won the trade for Wentz by a huge margin, too, after the first three or four weeks. We all know he will falter sooner, rather than later.

Ironshaft
09-12-2022, 07:02 AM
This reminds me of the Luck vs RGIII debate.

After year one, lots of folks were saying the Colts made the wrong choice.

After year three, no one was saying it.

I think by week 12 or so, it will be clear who "won" the trades.

apballin
09-12-2022, 04:50 PM
o

By the way, I'm not bragging ...... when all is said and done, my assertion about both Wentz and Ryan having good seasons may wind up looking awful. I was simply making a notation after the first game of the season.

o

Wentz did have a good game I was surprised when I looked at the box score

Colts And Orioles
09-20-2022, 01:46 PM
o

o

o

(Associated Press)

o
o

(WEEK 2)

Ryan had an awful day, albeit with awful protection from his offensive line.

Wentz had a sub-par first half, but then had a very solid 2nd half, rallying his team from a 22-0 halftime deficit to getting within one touchdown at 29-21 with 10:39 left in the 4th quarte ...... each team added a touchdown for a 36-27 final score, in favor of the Lions.

o

Colts And Orioles
09-20-2022, 06:38 PM
o

Again, I want to make it abundantly clear that it is still extremely early in the season, and that it is quite possible that Matt Ryan may wind up outperforming Carson Wentz when all is said and done ...... I was simply making note of how things have been going for both of these QB's after the first 2 games.

I really hope that my prediction comes to fruition ...... that BOTH Ryan AND Wentz will wind up having solid seasons for their respective teams in 2022.

o

Colts And Orioles
09-25-2022, 04:34 PM
o

(WEEK 3)

Believe it or not, Wentz' offensive line today was worse than the Colts' offensive line was against the Chiefs ...... Wentz was sacked 9 times.

But Ryan managed to hang in there, and lead the Colts to an improbable win ...... Wentz' team got trampled by the Eagles, although his overall numbers were respectable (especially considering how awful his offensive line was.)

o

YDFL Commish
09-25-2022, 04:35 PM
o

(WEEK 3)

Believe it or not, Wentz' offensive line today was worse than the Colts' offensive line was against the Chiefs ...... Wentz was sacked 9 times.

But Ryan managed to hang in there, and lead the Colts to an improbable win ...... Wentz' team got trampled by the Eagles, although his overall numbers were respectable (especially considering how awful his offensive line was.)

o

Unless you watched the game you don't know how much the O-Line was to blame.

Colts And Orioles
09-25-2022, 04:37 PM

o

I did watch a lot of it ...... I had the Colts game on my computer, and the Eagles game on my television.

The Eagles/Commanders game was the game that FOX broadcast in my region here in upstate New York.
o

albany ed
09-25-2022, 05:04 PM

I did watch the game, but as bad as the OL was, why wouldn't Ryan at least change the blocking schemes and have a hot read when he sees 7 men ready to rush?

YDFL Commish
09-25-2022, 05:17 PM
I did watch the game, but as bad as the OL was, why wouldn't Ryan at least change the blocking schemes and have a hot read when he sees 7 men ready to rush?

I was referring to Wentz not Ryan.

Colts And Orioles
10-04-2022, 11:10 AM
o

(WEEK 4)

Once again, Wentz may as well have been playing behind the offensive line of Bowling Green State University ...... yet he still managed to somehow go 27-for-37 for 356 yards, 2 TD's and 1 INT. Late in the 4th quarter, he had the Colts deep in Titans territory for the potentially game-tying TD. The first time, Jonathan Taylor fumbled. The second time he was sacked on 3rd-and-13 behind that atrocious offensive line, and then our kicker missed a 51-yard field goal attempt.

Last week, I saw much of the Commanders/Redskins game against the Eagles as it was playing here in New York State while I simultaneously had the Colts-Chiefs game on my computer ...... this time, I did not see the Commanders/Redskins game against the Cowboys. Wentz' overall numbers were bad (25-for-42 for 170 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT's), but I don't know if his offensive line was as horrible as it had been the previous week against the Eagles.

o

rcubed
10-04-2022, 11:19 AM
we still doing this???

Racehorse
10-04-2022, 05:53 PM
we still doing this???

Isn't that the job of a historian?

Colts And Orioles
10-17-2022, 10:02 AM
o

(WEEK 6)

Wentz improved to 7-0 on Thursday Night Football, but he had a mediocre game ...... he had a bad 1st half, and a pretty good 2nd half.

Ryan had his best game of the season in a win over the Jaguars ...... he went 42-for-58 for 389 yards, 3 TD's and 0 INT's.

o