PDA

View Full Version : Draft Weekend Takeaways

ChaosTheory
04-30-2022, 08:02 PM
So many threads, didn't know where to put this, so new thread.

Still UFDA's, free agents, and 4+ months to go before this team is set. But how do we feel directly after the draft?

-Ballard murdered the 2nd and 3rd round after not having a 1st. It's not unrealistic (however unlikely) to suppose that the four Day-2 picks could be starters as early as this season. Aside from Pierce, if the rest don't start, I still think they'll be high talent depth/rotation with potential to be future starters. I really like all four guys. Jelani Woods reminds me of Jimmy Graham.

-Big theme was giant monster athletes.

-Glad they didn't reach on a QB. I knew this wasn't a strong QB class, but I was still surprised at how reserved the league in general was about selecting these guys. Next season is a better QB class and the Colts will be better situated to make a move to get a guy if they like him.

-Thank you, Jacksonville, for passing on Hutchinson.

-Thank you, Houston, for being one of the teams with a boatload of early picks and not murdering it like the Jets did.

What else?

Racehorse
04-30-2022, 08:13 PM
I liked how Ballard addressed the defense in free agency, but filled offensive holes in the draft. Trading back and picking up the third stud in round 3, and then trading up for another was nice.

Spike
04-30-2022, 08:28 PM
Loved what the Colts accomplished this weekend. Kudos to Ballard and company.

My other takeaway is how shitty a GM Bill Billicheat is. Love how Chowder Head fan's heads were exploding after each pick, especially their first two. it's not even debatable that the Pats had the worst draft this weekend. Great times.

ukcolt
05-01-2022, 07:01 AM
Going into the draft i thought we needed to primarily boost the roster at the following positions: TE, WR, LT, then OL depth, Interior DL depth. I didn't think we needed to draft a LB, that was about the only spot with no concern.

We ticked off the top issues with our first picks, and then in the middle to later rounds filled out the remaining concerns....couldn't have asked for much more.

Now in terms of the players actually chosen, i really like the first 4 guys, so not only have the Colts filled the needs, they have filled needs with guys who I think are exactly what we needed. The LT especially is a great addition, just hope he doesn't have any lingering medical issues, i watched the PFF draft show, and they were saying they thought he might have some potentially long standing knee issues. Pierce will compete with Dulin for the 2nd outside WR role. Woods will fill the role that Alie-Cox had last year.Alie-Cox is going to be stepping more into the position Doyle had. Raimann will push Pryor, and if he wins that job in training camp, then Pryor becomes our 6th lineman. Cross is likely to compete for the 3rd TE position, but could end up starting at the beginning of the year if Blackmon is not quite ready. Willis is the box safety, Watts is really just a special teams player. McCloud is almost certainly just a 1 year rental anyway.

I think my concerns now are depth at RB, i worry what happens should Taylor get injured, although i suspect that there will be quite a few FA's available in season who might be able to help out, there always seem to be veteran guys getting picked up in season. I just don't believe that if he were to go down that Hines can actually play RB full time, no-one can tell what Deon Jackson can do yet. Depth at CB is also a thing we might try to add to in the remaining FA period. I like Gilmore and Rogers, but i am not convinced by Facyson and after that the only "name" player is Marvell Tell.

Overall i think we are in a good position though.

ukcolt
05-01-2022, 07:07 AM
Another Free Agent depth interior offensive lineman wouldn't go amiss either. Currently we have Pryor, Nelson, Kelly, Pinter, Smith as the likely starters, with Raimann, Fries, Carter O'Donnell, and then a bunch of no names. I would even argue that currently Fries and O'Donnell are also no names. Just that they have been around the roster for a season or more now.

JAFF
05-01-2022, 07:45 AM
From IndyStar

Indianapolis also added plenty of high-profile competition for Deon Jackson at the No. 3 running back spot behind Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines, signing Oregon's C.J. Verdell, Washington State's Max Borghi and Florida International's D'Vonte Price as undrafted free agents.

All three turned heads in college.

Verdell posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons in 2018 and 2019, saw his junior season cut short by the pandemic and then fractured his fibula and dislocated his ankle after five games and 405 yards this season, making it difficult for him in the predraft process.

ChaosTheory
05-01-2022, 08:48 AM
Trading back and picking up the third stud in round 3, and then trading up for another was nice.

The trade ruffled some feathers, but it makes sense if they have a crowd of guys graded evenly. And then accumulating picks like that gives the ammo for when a guy like Nick Cross falls.

My other takeaway is how shitty a GM Bill Billicheat is. Love how Chowder Head fan's heads were exploding after each pick, especially their first two. it's not even debatable that the Pats had the worst draft this weekend. Great times.

Yes, people are dogging their draft. Of course everybody will shit their pants when a guard is taken. I know a little of the CB from Houston and I think he's good. We'll see. I have a hard time personally ridiculing Belichick's decisions. The exploding heads are definitely fun to watch, though.

Cross is likely to compete for the 3rd TE position, but could end up starting at the beginning of the year if Blackmon is not quite ready. Willis is the box safety, Watts is really just a special teams player. McCloud is almost certainly just a 1 year rental anyway.

I've been saying I'm very intrigued by our DB personnel and Bradley's scheme. Cross just adds more to it. I really liked that pick. Makes me feel better in case Blackmon needs more time, too.

Oldcolt
05-01-2022, 10:52 AM
Best question during the post draft press conference with Ballard was by Kravitz:

"So Reggie Wayne has been here ten minutes and he gets whatever he wants (in the draft). Is that how it works?"

Ballard: "That's exactly how it works"

ChaosTheory
05-01-2022, 11:03 AM
Didn't see it posted anywhere, my mistake if it was. Presser from Morocco Brown, lead scout man.

https://youtu.be/tB_VrB9qZgA

ChaosTheory
05-01-2022, 11:27 AM
Didn't see it posted anywhere, my mistake if it was. Presser from Morocco Brown, lead scout man.

https://youtu.be/tB_VrB9qZgA

Morocco Brown says Nick Cross is the Dayo of this draft as far as his excitement. Said his floor appears low but it's already high and his ceiling is through the clouds.

Also reminded me that Grover was a 5th rounder that became a starter when he talked about Eric Johnson. Also said what guys here have said about trading back. Cluster of guys they like, so they'll still be there 10 spots later while grabbing another pick. Says they ended up getting several of the guys in that cluster and that the idea going in was that it's not a top-heavy draft but good in the middle.