PDA

View Full Version : 2022 NFL Draft thread - Day 3 discussion - Rounds 4, 5, 6 and 7

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-29-2022, 11:54 PM
Round 4 starts Noon Eastern / 11 AM Central

TV: ABC, ESPN, NFL Network

Announcers:

ABC: Simulcasting ESPN’s broadcast

ESPN: Mike Greenberg, Mel Kiper Jr., Louis Riddick, Booger McFarland, Chris Mortensen, Todd McShay, Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard, Suzy Kolber, Laura Rutledge, David Pollack

NFL Network: Rich Eisen, Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis, Peter Schrager, Ian Rapoport, Rachel Bonnetta

Online streaming: ESPN.com, NFL.com, ESPN, ABC, NFL mobile apps

Radio: Westwood One

Chromeburn
04-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Kiper said we might have had the best day 2

IndyNorm
04-30-2022, 09:10 AM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/04/30/colts-8-prospects-who-fit-indianapolis-day-3-nfl-draft/9596912002/

8 prospects to keep an eye on per the Indystar:

Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State
Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA
Darian Kinnard, OL, Kentucky
Bo Melton, WR, Rutgers
Amare Barno, EDGE, Virginia Tech
Darrian Beavers, LB, Cincinnati
Cade York, K, LSU
Cameron Dicker, K, Texas

I'm surprised they didn't mention Carson Strong. I'm sure Howell will be long gone before we draft, but with how all of the other QBs slipped maybe Strong drops to us in the 5th.

Hoopsdoc
04-30-2022, 09:16 AM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/04/30/colts-8-prospects-who-fit-indianapolis-day-3-nfl-draft/9596912002/

8 prospects to keep an eye on per the Indystar:

Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State
Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA
Darian Kinnard, OL, Kentucky
Bo Melton, WR, Rutgers
Amare Barno, EDGE, Virginia Tech
Darrian Beavers, LB, Cincinnati
Cade York, K, LSU
Cameron Dicker, K, Texas

Dicker the kicker?

Sign me up.

IndyNorm
04-30-2022, 09:30 AM
Dicker the kicker?

Sign me up.

LOL, nice! Nickname aside the write up on York makes it sound like he'd be a really good get:

Cade York is the undisputed top kicker in this draft, so much so that he could become a fifth-round pick. York has the range they lacked last season, as he's nailed 79% of field goals beyond 50 yards, including a 57-yard game-winner to beat Florida in 2020.

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 12:12 PM
Think interior OL, a move TE, CB and special teams here.

I like the versatility of RB Abram Smith of Baylor. Has also played well at LB. Could have slot of value on special teams.

Ironshaft
04-30-2022, 01:10 PM
Interior O-Line and run stopping NT to backup Grover are my hopes.

Anything else is gravy.

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 01:22 PM
Don't like TEN getting Haskins.

CletusPyle
04-30-2022, 01:23 PM
I am hoping that if he is available, the Colts will draft Michah McFadden in the 7th round....if McFadden goes undrafted they should at least consider bringing him in as a free agent. Guy was the Florida Player of the Year in 2017 as a High School senior, as frustrating as it has been watching IU football the past 4 seasons, McFadden has been one of the bright spots, he was literally involved in 75-80% of their defense, he was just always around the ball. He is definitely undersized for a LB, but is tough as nails, use him on special teams if nothing else!

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 01:31 PM
Dicker the kicker?

Sign me up.

If we add Dicker the kicker, we also have to add Smoke Monday and Storm Duck.

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 01:34 PM
If we add Dicker the kicker, we also have to add Smoke Monday and Storm Duck.

Storm Duck is still in college I think.

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 01:35 PM
Storm Duck is still in college I think.

Don't ruin the dream!

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 01:41 PM
Interior O-Line and run stopping NT to backup Grover are my hopes.

Anything else is gravy.

Strongly agree about Grover backup. Good ones are so hard to find in the draft though. So I'm thinking low budget veteran FA.

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 01:46 PM
Ravens got Likely. They're having a really good draft.

IndyNorm
04-30-2022, 02:03 PM
Strongly agree about Grover backup. Good ones are so hard to find in the draft though. So I'm thinking low budget veteran FA.

We really need a backup for Buckner too. We have Lewis and Dayo, but they're both more DE/DT hybrids.

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 02:14 PM
We really need a backup for Buckner too. We have Lewis and Dayo, but they're both more DE/DT hybrids.

Even harder to find a 3-tech this late in the draft. I have faith in Dayo to take some snaps at 3-tech.

Chromeburn
04-30-2022, 02:35 PM
CB, IOL, DL next?

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 02:42 PM
Even harder to find a 3-tech this late in the draft. I have faith in Dayo to take some snaps at 3-tech.

Apparently Ballard thought they needed a 3-Tech. Eric Johnson from Missouri State. Apparently good Senior Bowl performance.

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 02:45 PM
Apparently Ballard thought they needed a 3-Tech. Eric Johnson from Missouri State. Apparently good Senior Bowl performance.

Yeah, this one is puzzling. You're right it had to be his Senior Bowl week. Perhaps he wasn't used correctly at Missouri State?

IndyNorm
04-30-2022, 03:04 PM
Yeah, this one is puzzling. You're right it had to be his Senior Bowl week. Perhaps he wasn't used correctly at Missouri State?

His size looks like a 3 Tech, but his stats and write ups point to more of a run stuffer/NT type. So maybe Mizz St. was playing him at NT b/c he was the biggest DL they had, or maybe he's more of a tweener. Ballard does have a history of hitting well on his head scratchers (Grover, EJ Speed), so hopefully Johnson works out too.

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 03:07 PM

He had a lot of pressures and decent TFL numbers for Round 5.

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 03:07 PM
His size looks like a 3 Tech, but his stats and write ups point to more of a run stuffer/NT type. So maybe Mizz St. was playing him at NT b/c he was the biggest DL they had, or maybe he's more of a tweener. Ballard does have a history of hitting well on his head scratchers (Grover, EJ Speed), so hopefully Johnson works out too.

Ballard does say that day 3 is the time to pick the guys the scouts are standing on the table for.

smitty46953
04-30-2022, 04:12 PM
The Indianapolis Colts select Andrew Ogletree, TE, Youngstown State.

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 04:14 PM
The Indianapolis Colts select Andrew Ogletree, TE, Youngstown State.

They have a theme this year: big athlete.

Chromeburn
04-30-2022, 04:27 PM
Three huge TE's on the goaline package will be scary to opposite teams.

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 04:54 PM
Three huge TE's on the goaline package will be scary to opposite teams.

I don't see the Colts carrying4 TE's and we need Granson to develop into our move TE.

smitty46953
04-30-2022, 05:12 PM
The Indianapolis Colts select Curtis Brooks, DT, Cincinnati.

Curtis Brooks DL, CINCY
Height: 6-2, Weight: 285

Older prospect who was one of the best pure pass-rushing DTs in the class. Burst, closing speed are all high-level. Nice, efficient pass-rush plans too. Fun prospect to land this late. (Chris Trapasso)

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 05:16 PM
Somewhat of an underwhelming day 3.

rcubed
04-30-2022, 05:24 PM

Eh. Are you really just getting depth at this point.

Oldcolt
04-30-2022, 05:30 PM

Which year did day 3 overwhelm you?

CletusPyle
04-30-2022, 05:37 PM
I am hoping that if he is available, the Colts will draft Michah McFadden in the 7th round....if McFadden goes undrafted they should at least consider bringing him in as a free agent. Guy was the Florida Player of the Year in 2017 as a High School senior, as frustrating as it has been watching IU football the past 4 seasons, McFadden has been one of the bright spots, he was literally involved in 75-80% of their defense, he was just always around the ball. He is definitely undersized for a LB, but is tough as nails, use him on special teams if nothing else!

McFadden goes to the Giants in round 5....sorry, but I feel like we let one get away here! McFadden will make an impact given the chance!

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 05:42 PM
Which year did day 3 overwhelm you?

Never overwhelmed but Isaiah Rodgers was a nice find and we all knew his speed. So that was a good day 3 with Pinter, Patmon and Glasgow.

I know I wasnt' bitching about that class.

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 05:49 PM
Never overwhelmed but Isaiah Rodgers was a nice find and we all knew his speed. So that was a good day 3 with Pinter, Patmon and Glasgow.

The Day 2 was good enough by itself. I do like the two DTs as depth and developmental guys.

Hoopsdoc
04-30-2022, 05:52 PM

Ballard has a plan for these late round picks. He’s gonna get guys who have elite, or at least high level, athletic traits. He’s not concerned as much with what they did in college as he is with what they’re capable of in the NFL.

He never deviates from that.

He’s not gonna draft a guy who was productive in college but can’t run or jump or has the strength or agility to succeed in the NFL.

Oldcolt
04-30-2022, 06:05 PM

I totally get that. I love to bitch, especially about stuff that really doesn't matter. I love those guys we got in the third day, I just had zero idea that they were any good when we drafted them.

Chromeburn
04-30-2022, 06:37 PM
Don't know anything about the Yale safety. But overall I think it was a good draft.

IndyNorm
04-30-2022, 06:45 PM
After a great day 2 kind of a meh day 3:

I really like the Curtis Brooks pick.

Eric Johnson seems like a head scratcher, but we needed DTs, he probably showed some things we liked at the Senior Bowl, and Ballard seems to hit pretty well on the small school head scratchers.

Andrew Ogletree is an even bigger head scratcher unless we're looking to dump Granson. I suppose we can keep an extra TE if he works out, but guessing we probably won't. Would have liked for us to have drafted Bo Melton (Rutgers WR) or an OG here.

Rodney Thomas II - Don't know much about him. Would have liked for us to have drafted Carson Strong here, but since he's dropped this far and seems like he's going to go undrafted then maybe there's some issues with his knee.

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 06:47 PM
After a great day 2 kind of a meh day 3:

I really like the Curtis Brooks pick.

Eric Johnson seems like a head scratcher, but we needed DTs, he probably showed some things we liked at the Senior Bowl, and Ballard seems to hit pretty well on the small school head scratchers.

Andrew Ogletree is an even bigger head scratcher unless we're looking to dump Granson. I suppose we can keep an extra TE if he works out, but guessing we probably won't. Would have liked for us to have drafted Bo Melton (Rutgers WR) or an OG here.

Rodney Thomas II - Don't know much about him. Would have liked for us to have drafted Carson Strong here, but since he's dropped this far and seems like he's going to go undrafted then maybe there's some issues with his knee.

TE seems like a PS hold that could eventually replace MAC if he works out.

IndyNorm
04-30-2022, 06:51 PM
TE seems like a PS hold that could eventually replace MAC if he works out.

The problem with that is if the guy shows well in the preseason then he's likely to get picked up when he's released before you can sign him to the PS. Just seems like a waste of a draft pick taking someone who doesn't have much chance to make the 53 man roster.

Oldcolt
04-30-2022, 07:27 PM
The problem with that is if the guy shows well in the preseason then he's likely to get picked up when he's released before you can sign him to the PS. Just seems like a waste of a draft pick taking someone who doesn't have much chance to make the 53 man roster.

That is also a testament to the depth we have. When you are drafting in the 7th round you gotta draft for something, Ballard likes athletic traits. Seems as good as anything

IndyNorm
04-30-2022, 08:47 PM
That is also a testament to the depth we have. When you are drafting in the 7th round you gotta draft for something, Ballard likes athletic traits. Seems as good as anything

6th round, and we're not as deep at other positions as we now are at TE since we drafted 2 of them. There's a lot of other positions where we're not as deep and/or will likely keep more than 3 players on the active roster: OL, DL, WR, CB, RB, QB.

At any rate if the worst thing about this draft is that a 6th round TE doesn't make the roster and signs elsewhere then we had a really good draft.