PDA

View Full Version : Simms really likes Pierce

Butter
04-29-2022, 11:54 PM
https://youtu.be/Yk0HwYjBC30

Ironshaft
04-30-2022, 08:13 AM
The Alec Pierce segment of the show starts at 30 minutes, 20 seconds.

All my "quotes" are paraphrases from listening to the podcast.

Chris Simms has him as the #3 WR in the draft.

There is nobody who can run with this kid.

Watch the Alabama game. While he only had two catches, the Alabama defense was scared sh!tless of him. After the first couple of plays, they backed the fu#k off so they could stay deeper than him.

Watch Alabama double him on third downs. They were not scared of anyone on Cincinnati's offense except Pierce.

He is in the conversation as the best route runner of the whole draft.

His ability to use different releases off the line with his footwork, handwork, body control is as good as it gets.

Simms compared him to DK Metcalf or Chase Claypool where the stats just do not do him credit for the ability he brought to the field whether it was a weakness at QB or the offensive system. He said watching tape of Pierce really soured him on Ridder as a QB who just was not making the decision to hit the open receiver.

I ask myself what is the negative aspect about this kid? What can he not do? And I got nothing.

Your driving home, your NFL buddy calls you and says WTF? Alex Pierce at #3? What is your first sentence? I tell him I like bigger, faster Jordy Nelsons.

Pierce is polished and NFL ready.

The Pierce segment ends at 38 minutes, 40 seconds.

Butter
04-30-2022, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the timestamps, I thought it would start at the right point with the link, my bad.

Oldcolt
04-30-2022, 11:32 AM
Wow If this doesn't get you pumped nothing will. What a freakin draft, on paper anyway

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 12:03 PM
The Alec Pierce segment of the show starts at 30 minutes, 20 seconds.

Simms compared him to DK Metcalf or Chase Claypool where the stats just do not do him credit for the ability he brought to the field whether it was a weakness at QB or the offensive system. He said watching tape of Pierce really soured him on Ridder as a QB who just was not making the decision to hit the open receiver.

I saw the same things as Simms. Ridder sucks. I hate his 3/4 motion and inaccuracy. Ridder bailed him out on a lot of occasions and Ridder's inaccuracy prevented several big plays.

Chromeburn
04-30-2022, 12:51 PM
Breakdown of his route running. Dude is a better route runner than I thought. He will be hard for corners to stop because he is too big and strong to press, too fast to not challenge his get off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed6eGMLGNjk

YDFL Commish
04-30-2022, 01:16 PM
Breakdown of his route running. Dude is a better route runner than I thought. He will be hard for corners to stop because he is too big and strong to press, too fast to not challenge his get off.

Damn good stuff. Ridder doesn't look his way when Piece is open. Saban respects Pierce so much that he has him triple covered, yet Ridder forces the ball into that triple coverage.

I am salivating thinking what Wayne and Ryan can do with this guy.

Dam8610
04-30-2022, 01:25 PM

He rounds off his routes occasionally, one of two weaknesses I found watching him on tape, the other being concentration drops, which between that and the body control were what solidified the Wayne comp for me.

ukcolt
04-30-2022, 01:39 PM
Later in the draft process Simms did re-rank his WR's and moved Pierce down to his 7th WR. During all of his rankings, Pierce was the guy that he admitted he had most mis-evaluated on his initial review.

Simms still loves him, but changed his incredibly high opinion of him to something a little more like he is a really good player.

Chromeburn
04-30-2022, 02:38 PM
He rounds off his routes occasionally, one of two weaknesses I found watching him on tape, the other being concentration drops, which between that and the body control were what solidified the Wayne comp for me.

I read that criticism somewhere else. Seems he can run proper routes though. Will just have to emphasize it.