PDA

View Full Version : Ashton Dulin signs RFA tender with Colts

JAFF
04-20-2022, 05:05 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/19/ashton-dulin-signs-rfa-tender-from-colts/

Wide receiver Ashton Dulin has officially re-signed with the Colts as their offseason program gets going this week.

Dulin was tendered as a restricted free agent earlier this year and the Colts announced on Tuesday that Dulin signed his tender. He was tendered at the original round level, which sets him up to make $2.433 million this season.

omahacolt
04-21-2022, 04:54 PM
great player to have. hopefully he doesn't take 75% of the wr snaps like pascal used to

JAFF
04-21-2022, 05:00 PM
great player to have. hopefully he doesn't take 75% of the wr snaps like pascal used to

I he gets his chance. He was the best gunner in the conference, so he is tough. He showed last year he will go over the middle. He is ridiculous fast. He reminds me of Pierre Garcon

apballin
04-21-2022, 10:36 PM
He’s currently our highest paid WR

Oldcolt
04-22-2022, 08:16 AM

That is amazing. Thanks for pointing that out. Wow

Ironshaft
04-22-2022, 11:08 AM
That is amazing. Thanks for pointing that out. Wow

Amazing? Or sad? :)

There are a fair amount of veteran receivers still out on the market that could help us next year if for no other reason then mentorship.

After the draft, I fully expect Ballard to sign a veteran to help lead the receiver room. The team may love the potential of their young guys but I they will need someone (cough...hometown discount T.Y.......cough) to lead them.

rcubed
04-22-2022, 11:27 AM
Yep. TY one a one year deal right before camp sounds right.

apballin
04-22-2022, 12:03 PM
I could see TY coming back, but I still believe Pittman goes off this year

Oldcolt
04-22-2022, 02:04 PM
I’m with Ballard in believing the receivers we have were held back by QB play. We will know if he believes it to the extent he has been preaching by how he drafts and if he signs veteran help.

Puck
04-22-2022, 03:47 PM
I could see TY coming back, but I still believe Pittman goes off this year

I think he's coming back.

rcubed
04-22-2022, 04:42 PM
I’m with Ballard in believing the receivers we have were held back by QB play. We will know if he believes it to the extent he has been preaching by how he drafts and if he signs veteran help.

While I think there is truth in that, I still dont think its a scary crew. I think pittman is very good but would make a better #2. The others are good #3-whatever but I would like to have a better #1.

omahacolt
04-22-2022, 04:57 PM

haha wtf

that is an embarrassment

ChaosTheory
04-22-2022, 05:24 PM
I think he's coming back.

I do, too. Next likely would be retirement. I'd be most surprised if he went somewhere else.

I've always thought Hilton for 1-yr is more likely than one of these overvalued guys getting a $70m contract. We'll see.

IndyNorm
04-22-2022, 06:42 PM

Also, at 18 career catches for 173 yards he's also our 2nd most accomplished WR who doesn't get hurt getting out of bed :cool:.

IndyNorm
04-23-2022, 11:43 AM

I don't disagree that Wentz held back our receivers, but that was mostly TY and Pascal whose yards per game dropped by 35% and 39% respectively YoY. I'm not sure how much Wentz held back the other WRs:

Campbell - Hurt most of the year as normal.
Dulin - Actually took a step forward and showed he could have a future at WR.
Patmon - Started the season on IR. Limited playing time at the end of the season.
Strachan - Sat the final 15 games of his "red shirt" year

Racehorse
04-23-2022, 03:41 PM
I don't disagree that Wentz held back our receivers, but that was mostly TY and Pascal whose yards per game dropped by 35% and 39% respectively YoY. I'm not sure how much Wentz held back the other WRs:

Campbell - Hurt most of the year as normal.
Dulin - Actually took a step forward and showed he could have a future at WR.
Patmon - Started the season on IR. Limited playing time at the end of the season.
Strachan - Sat the final 15 games of his "red shirt" year

I'm not sure what you are getting at here

JAFF
04-23-2022, 08:52 PM
I think we as fans have forgotten about Nyheim Hines. His targets and receptions were down last year. He could be huge as a check down option for ryan

IndyNorm
04-24-2022, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure what you are getting at here

Was trying to point out that the WRs who were mostly impacted by Wentz's play are not on (at least the current) roster.

IndyNorm
04-24-2022, 08:55 AM
I think we as fans have forgotten about Nyheim Hines. His targets and receptions were down last year. He could be huge as a check down option for ryan

I don't think we have, at least I haven't. I fully expect Hines' '22 season to look much more like his '20 season than his '21 season. But we still need to add at least a good WR2 option and maybe a WR3 as well.

YDFL Commish
04-24-2022, 09:22 AM
I don't think we have, at least I haven't. I fully expect Hines' '22 season to look much more like his '20 season than his '21 season. But we still need to add at least a good WR2 option and maybe a WR3 as well.

Ryan has the ability to get every skill position player more involved, from Pitt, Hynes, JT, MOC etc.

Wentz was a cancer to this team. No more checking to RPO's, no more waiting for the big play to happen, no more improvisation in the pocket wher your OL don't know where you are.

Ill bet sacks go down by 1/3 this season.

MeSayDayo
04-24-2022, 09:54 AM
Ill bet sacks go down by 1/3 this season.

Ehhh...I am not so sure about that. I look at it as a bit of a wash actually.

Ryan has a quicker release than Wentz, so that will help.
Ryan has a better internal clock than Wentz and can hit checkdowns. That will help.
Ryan will likely be getting us into better plays pre-snap, which will also help in the sack department.

Having said that....

Wentz is substantially more mobile than Ryan at this point. Even though he was generally a turd last year, he did have a handful of very impressive runs (both designed and improvised) to escape sacks. From everything I have seen, at this point in his career, Ryan hits the dirt when he feels pressure ala Peyton or Brady.

So far, at this point....We are worse at WR. We have lost Pascal, TY and Doyle. No replacements YET. That will negatively contribute towards the sack rate. We need guys that can separate.

We have also regressed on the O-Line, no matter which way you slice it. We have less depth at OT (no Fisher, Pryor new presumed starter), and RG (Pinter being new presumed starter).

All and all I think we will see the sacks maybe go up by a few if anything. I also expect our turnovers to be about the same (Ryan will throw a few more INTs than Wentz but also not be responsible for 5 plus horrible fumbles/left handed shuffle passes).

TwoSprainz Wentz was such a physically gifted doofus. If only you could put Peyton or Rivers brain into the guys body, he might still be on the team.

YDFL Commish
04-24-2022, 10:32 AM
Ehhh...

We have also regressed on the O-Line, no matter which way you slice it. We have less depth at OT (no Fisher, Pryor new presumed starter), and RG (Pinter being new presumed starter).

Pryor out played Fisher every time he was in the game. I know that's a low bar with a low sample size, but never the less it is a fact.

IndyNorm
04-24-2022, 11:43 AM
TwoSprainz Wentz was such a physically gifted doofus. If only you could put Peyton or Rivers brain into the guys body, he might still be on the team.

Actually if you had that Philly would have never traded him in the first place.

IndyNorm
04-24-2022, 11:50 AM
Pryor out played Fisher every time he was in the game. I know that's a low bar with a low sample size, but never the less it is a fact.

I think the point Dayo was trying to make is that even if Pryor outplays Fisher over a full season our OL depth in all likelihood won't be as good as last year as we had Pryor, Reed, and Pinter as backups.

JAFF
04-24-2022, 12:19 PM
I think the point Dayo was trying to make is that even if Pryor outplays Fisher over a full season our OL depth in all likelihood won't be as good as last year as we had Pryor, Reed, and Pinter as backups.

Ballard is pretty good drafting O line men. And who knows, Fischer may pass a physical and get resigned. There is a lot of time before the season

Oldcolt
04-24-2022, 07:26 PM
MeSayDayo you may be right about our offensive line, wide receivers and Wentz/Ryan comparison-if we played this game on paper. We need to grow with new players in the first two of those situations and I disagree with you completely (not on mobility but on ability to get sacked) with the Wentz/Ryan comparison. All of them are interrelated as is the fact that Ryan will be involved with Reich as an offensive designer. I trust Ballard on evaluation of offensive line, don't think a guard is that difficult to replace (unless we are talking about the great Nelson) and certainly don't think that replacing Fischer is an impossible task. I am concerned about offensive line depth but cannot remember a year when the depth was settled a week before the draft, it may happen but it is rare. Wide receivers are the most overvalued position in the NFL right now, they are being paid like QBs, it is ridiculous. The only sensible way to address them is through the draft, Ballard will probably do that. Nobody on this board has any idea who will be the WRs on this team in even 10 days. Movement in pocket, with awareness, and knowing how to effectively run an offense are way way more important in keeping from getting sacked than athletic ability. The ability to throw accurate intermediate passes is underappreciated everywhere. And lets no forget how bad Wentz was on play action, one of Ryans strengths. Slows down pass rushers big time.
And yes we will no longer be wed to RPO. Thank god for that. Wentz was capable of reading one defensive player and making his move off of that. Pitiful when you are used to a QB (like we have been) that could actually read the movement of more than on defensive player. Tons of those 'athletic' plays occurred because the dufus didn't take the easy play and tried to show his athleticism off. Problem was that the NFL if full of equally athletic defensive players. This Colt glass is 3/4 full and being filled more all the time. Why be bummed now in the off season? There is a whole season for that-and there will be plenty of it, always is.