PDA

View Full Version : Why Wentz is gone. From Peter King

JAFF
04-18-2022, 02:35 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/18/nfl-draft-gms-picks-trades-fmia-peter-king/

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. At times in the first three months of 2022, the Indianapolis Colts looked like they were headed to the bottom of the AFC instead of rebounding to make another playoff run this fall. But when they signed 2019 Defensive Player of the Year Stephon Gilmore to a two-year deal Friday, Indianapolis actually continued a very strange, but good post-season heading into the draft.

The Colts booted Carson Wentz to Washington (for a better second-round draft position and a third-round pick), and it’s now pretty clear why they had to give up on Wentz after one year. His refusal to get vaccinated led to a positive test in Week 17, zero practice time the week of a huge game against the Raiders, and a stale, tired Wentz playing poorly in a 27-24 loss. That was followed by a desultory Wentz performance in a 15-point loss to the worst team in football, Jacksonville, that knocked the Colts out of the playoffs. The Colts slunk back to Indianapolis and immediately retreated to a very dark place, with an owner, Jim Irsay, clearly furious about the collapse—and about his quarterback.

The Colts replaced Wentz with a better player and leader (and with a chip on his shoulder), Matt Ryan. They buttressed a mediocre pass rush with the acquisition of the well-traveled Yannick Ngakoue (9.5 sacks per year, on average, over the last five years). And Gilmore not only gives the Colts a far better option than the young Isaiah Rodgers at one corner against a schedule with Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott and Derek Carr, but he provides the kind of veteran counsel a young secondary can learn from.

A general manager is often judged by who he drafts, and the high-priced free-agents he imports. But more often, a GM earns his stripes when he faces a crisis and manages his way patiently out of it. Time will tell if Chris Ballard of the Colts can overcome overpaying for Wentz last offseason by the moves he’s made since the disastrous end of the Colts’ season. But so far, the Colts have rebounded steadily from the worst finish to the 2021 season of any NFL team. They’re one of the most improved teams of 2022. Now Ballard’s got to find a receiving weapon in this draft, from a rich pool of wideouts, to help the Colts stay competitive with the explosive offenses of the deep, deep AFC.

Chromeburn
04-18-2022, 02:47 PM
Ehh, I don’t think it was about the vaccine. That might have been part of it. But he was declining before he got Covid. We had other leaders who also didn’t get vaxed. There were reportedly other issues as well but they haven’t surfaced yet. I’ll go with the local reporters and their views over national guys like King and Cowherd.

YDFL Commish
04-18-2022, 05:38 PM
King managed to say a lot without actually saying anything.

rm1369
04-18-2022, 08:22 PM
Ehh, I don’t think it was about the vaccine. That might have been part of it. But he was declining before he got Covid. We had other leaders who also didn’t get vaxed. There were reportedly other issues as well but they haven’t surfaced yet. I’ll go with the local reporters and their views over national guys like King and Cowherd.

I don’t think it was ONLY or even PRIMARILY about the vaccine, but I certainly think it was a factor. Throw out the politics and the vaccine was a competitive advantage. No way Manning or Luck don’t get it. There were plenty of other factors, but to me (and I’d bet to Irsay) it showed a lack of commitment to winning from the most important position on the team.

Racehorse
04-18-2022, 08:24 PM
I don’t think it was ONLY or even PRIMARILY about the vaccine, but I certainly think it was a factor. Throw out the politics and the vaccine was a competitive advantage. No way Manning or Luck don’t get it. There were plenty of other factors, but to me (and I’d bet to Irsay) it showed a lack of commitment to winning from the most important position on the team.

I agree about Manning and Luck. I also got it because I did not want to cost my team any of their competitions because I would get quarantined. The rules for those vaccinated were less restrictive, and you try to maintain the competitive balance.

apballin
04-18-2022, 10:28 PM
I don’t think it was a decision based solely on him not getting the vaccine. I believe it was the injury, then not getting vaxed, crumbling late in the big games, and Irsay talking to The “team leaders “ sealed his fate

Racehorse
04-19-2022, 06:43 AM
Back to football. Wentz is gone, and we are better for it. The dude shit the bed with the playoffs on the line, and also at times when games were on the line. Ryan is a leader, and cool under pressure.

Oldcolt
04-19-2022, 07:23 AM
We are in the perfect situation, we have no bandwagon to get on. I think we will have a much better TEAM than many so called experts think. If you didn’t watch our games last year you cannot fathom how bad Wentz was. He didn’t play with a team mentality. By that I mean he didn’t make sure that he got the ball into playmakers hands (Hines etc) often enough. He seemed to see himself as the playmaker, not the facilitator Ryan understands the position so much better that I’m not sure any of us can fathom the difference he is going to make. We will be so much better but in more subtle ways that lose themselves to gross evaluations. Ballard is building a damn good team. He is showing growth as a GM. I’m getting excited about the season. I love catching people by surprise.

ChaosTheory
04-19-2022, 08:24 AM
Thank God the NFL got rid of all the covid shit for next year. It'll be like when they stopped broadcasting the National Anthem and have the sideline reporter read off the list of players who did/didn't kneel as if it was the injury report or something vital.

We can just watch football instead of arguing over who's Rorschach test is the accurate one. Blue dress or gold? Yanny or Laurel?

**Incoming: No! One side is correct and the other side is stupid**

Colts And Orioles
04-19-2022, 11:35 AM
Back to football. Wentz is gone, and we are better for it. The dude shit the bed with the playoffs on the line, and also at times when games were on the line. Ryan is a leader, and cool under pressure.

o

I have a feeling that Wentz will have a good season with the Redskins/Commanders, and that Ryan will have a good season with the Colts.

o

Puck
04-19-2022, 09:15 PM
Shoot? Shot. And what about i before e except after c?

Race I thought you were gonna put all vax posts in a thread of their own?

JAFF
04-19-2022, 09:26 PM

It isnt a vax post. Its what king reported about what happened off the field, in the locker room which showed up on the field

Stop acting as if covid didnt have an impact on this season. It had an impact on every part of our society.

Racehorse
04-20-2022, 06:38 AM

I wasn't exactly sure if it was appropriate here.

njcoltfan
04-20-2022, 07:05 AM
I am not a doctor, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do know that this is the WRONG FUCKING THREAD !!!!!!!

Racehorse
04-20-2022, 05:53 PM
I am not a doctor, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do know that this is the WRONG FUCKING THREAD !!!!!!!

I agree. BS posts are in the right forum now.

Spike
04-20-2022, 07:35 PM
I agree. BS posts are in the right forum now.

Thank You Racehorse.

JAFF
04-21-2022, 04:21 PM
Eagles’ New Weapon Fires Shot at Ex-Colts Teammate Carson Wentz

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/zach-pascal-carson-wentz/

Carson Wentz put up impressive numbers for the Indianapolis Colts last season, but his attitude seemed to rub people the wrong way. And the Colts missed the playoffs. For all those reasons — plus criticism over his leadership style — Wentz was sent packing to the Washington Commanders.

Facing the Philadelphia Eagles twice this year in the NFC East, he’ll have wide receiver Zach Pascal staring him down from the opposite sideline. Pascal and Wentz were teammates for one year in Indianapolis before Pascal, 27, inked a one-year deal with the Eagles last month. As a free agent, Pascal could have attempted to join Wentz in Washington for another season together. Forget it. Pascal appeared happy to see that relationship dissolve.

“Absolutely not,” Pascal told WAVY-TV in Virginia when asked if he’d considered pursuing a reunion with his former teammate. “Absolutely not. That’s just what it is.”

In the interview, Pascal didn’t elaborate, but his sheepish smile and knowing laughs from the assembled media appeared to say all that anyone needed to know about his relationship with Wentz. It’s all water under the bridge. He expressed excitement about playing for the Eagles in front of some of the most passionate football fans on the planet.

“They’re passionate, I say that,” Pascal said. “They’re very passionate about their team, their city, the game. … So wins got to come with it. I know the head coach. I know multiple players on that team. I know the culture in that city. They’re go-getters, so I just feel like it’s a great fit for me, great fit for my family.”

The latest Sixers news straight to your inbox! Join the Heavy on Sixers newsletter here!

Join Heavy on Sixers!

Pascal Takes Wentz’s Old Jersey Number

Some people were reading into the fact that Pascal chose Wentz’s old No. 11 jersey to wear in Philly. Don’t read too much into that. He couldn’t claim the No. 14 he wore during his four years in Indy because Kenneth Gainwell has it. Ditto for his college No. 6 since DeVonta Smith wears it. And Richard Rodgers owns the No. 81 jersey he donned in high school.

Pascal just didn’t have many options and landed on No. 11, which probably had nothing to do with Wentz. Probably. It should be noted that the former Old Dominion standout will be the first Eagles player to wear No. 11 since Wentz was traded in 2021.

Taking the High Road About Colts’ Struggles

Pascal was asked to explain what happened last year in Indianapolis as the team imploded down the stretch. The Colts went 6-1 in November and December before face-planting in the final two games, finishing 9-8 and missing the playoffs.

Wentz was brutal in the regular-season finale, a 26-11 loss to the abysmal Jacksonville Jaguars. Pascal skirted around the reasons for the loss, refusing to throw anyone under the bus.

“I can’t put a finger on what happened,” Pascal told Philly reporters on March 24 at his introductory press conference. “All I can say is we fought hard and we didn’t reach that goal, and so I’m just excited to be in this position, able to help this organization [the Eagles], this team reach this goal.”

YDFL Commish
04-21-2022, 04:34 PM
I'll bet Pat Mcafee can get to the bottom the Wentz debacle in Indy.

Maybe he can invite Jack Doyle on the show to elaborate.

Maybe when TY officially retires we will find out more.

rm1369
04-21-2022, 07:31 PM
I'll bet Pat Mcafee can get to the bottom the Wentz debacle in Indy.

Maybe he can invite Jack Doyle on the show to elaborate.

Maybe when TY officially retires we will find out more.

My guess is nobody can point to any specific thing. He’s just not a winner. It’s kind of a cliché, but I think it’s accurate in his case. He’s just less than the sum of his individual abilities should be.