PDA

View Full Version : Colts reportedly trying to sign Gilmore

YDFL Commish
04-13-2022, 04:58 PM
Just heard this news on SiriusXM radio. Apparently Irsay has been tweeting that Ballard is trying to sign a big name FA today.

Hoopsdoc
04-13-2022, 05:07 PM
He visited with the Colts but I don’t see Ballard ponying up what it would take to sign him.

I’m not sure I’d want him to if it’s going to cost to much. I didn’t realize that Gilmore is 31 years old.

Brylok
04-13-2022, 06:32 PM
He'd be a big addition.

Oldcolt
04-13-2022, 06:50 PM
I don’t see Ballard wanting to do this. I do see Irsay wanting to do this. So maybe.

ChaosTheory
04-13-2022, 07:19 PM
I don’t see Ballard wanting to do this. I do see Irsay wanting to do this. So maybe.

Is this because of the money?

Butter
04-13-2022, 07:32 PM
Meh, dude will be 32 and couldn't stay healthy last year Playing 8 games and starting just 3 last year, he better be cheap as hell.

rcubed
04-14-2022, 01:23 PM
I read he is also in contact with the rams.

Why do I feel like if he came here, he would play in 4-7 games, but if he went to the rams he would have an all-pro season and win a championship?

albany ed
04-14-2022, 08:57 PM
I read he is also in contact with the rams.

Why do I feel like if he came here, he would play in 4-7 games, but if he went to the rams he would have an all-pro season and win a championship?

Our luck?

apballin
04-14-2022, 09:15 PM
I’m hoping it happens he’d be a great matchup for Aj Brown

ChaosTheory
04-14-2022, 09:52 PM
Our luck?

Our Luck retired.

Puck
04-15-2022, 08:37 AM
Keep building that defense

Puck
04-15-2022, 09:45 AM
I’m hoping it happens he’d be a great matchup for Aj Brown

Yep and we have a lot of big time receivers that we will be facing this yr especially in the playoffs

rm1369
04-15-2022, 10:06 AM
Gilmore signed - 2 years $23m. $14m guaranteed.

Risky, but good signing. Defense is shaping up.

Thorgrim
04-15-2022, 10:13 AM

Felt they had to address one of the needs via free agency and now it's done. Certainly changes the dynamic of the draft. Let's go get a WR, and LT. TE worth a look too. Think we bring in a vet Safety via free agency if the numbers allow.

Brylok
04-15-2022, 11:17 AM
Excellent signing! Now I'm more excited to see our defense than I am our offense. Go get Landry now.

YDFL Commish
04-15-2022, 11:29 AM
Now.....will you guys get off Ballard's ass?

YDFL Commish
04-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Felt they had to address one of the needs via free agency and now it's done. Certainly changes the dynamic of the draft. Let's go get a WR, and LT. TE worth a look too. Think we bring in a vet Safety via free agency if the numbers allow.

Yep, Ballard can concentrate primarily on offense in the draft now. Just need a rotational DT to replace Stallworth and we are set on defense.

Think we bring in a vet Safety via free agency if the numbers allow.

McLeod and Watts weren't enough to backup Blackmon and Willis?

nate505
04-15-2022, 01:15 PM
Great signing. Ok, there's obviously some risk here, and I could be eating those words if he gets hurt a lot, but still. I like signings like this and Rhodes and for other guys who have proven talent in this league, where maybe just a change of scenery will let it shine again.

rcubed
04-15-2022, 01:47 PM
Great signing. Ok, there's obviously some risk here, and I could be eating those words if he gets hurt a lot, but still. I like signings like this and Rhodes and for other guys who have proven talent in this league, where maybe just a change of scenery will let it shine again.

Worth the risk imo. If he plays well then big boost to our secondary. If not, the contract doesnt seem to strap us.

IndyNorm
04-15-2022, 02:24 PM

This certainly helps, although there are still a ton of holes in the roster that need to be filled. Either way glad to see Ballard getting out of his comfort zone a bit. As long as Gilmore stays healthy this signing should really pay off!

ChaosTheory
04-15-2022, 02:27 PM
Worth the risk imo. If he plays well then big boost to our secondary. If not, the contract doesnt seem to strap us.

If he doesn't get hurt, it's a pretty significant upgrade over Rock.

Risk for injury is real. His history isn't exactly stellar, but specifically since he turned the magic number 30... he's missed a lot of games with a strained knee, torn quad, and pulled groin. But if there's one thing about this FO, they do their due diligence. So medical must've looked good to them.

And I'm not terrified if he does end up going down for a couple games. Moore needs no explanation. Rodgers seems to be coming on. We know Gus Bradley really likes Facyson. Even lower end guys like Chesley and Tell have played a decent amount for us in the past.

All that considered, it seems like a good gamble that should pay off.

apballin
04-15-2022, 03:13 PM
Great fuckin move fuckin love it

I can’t wait to see this Defense play!!!!

Spike
04-15-2022, 03:16 PM

Nope, not yet. But kudos to him so far. Still need LT, wide receiver and tight end.

YDFL Commish
04-15-2022, 04:55 PM
Nope, not yet. But kudos to him so far. Still need LT, wide receiver and tight end.

He can't fill all the holes in FA, some will have to come via the draft.

Hoopsdoc
04-15-2022, 06:37 PM
He can't fill all the holes in FA, some will have to come via the draft.

I’d still like to see a veteran receiver signed. The draft is loaded at the position, but it takes most of those guys at least a year to develop. We need a guy who will produce next season.

YDFL Commish
04-15-2022, 07:42 PM
I’d still like to see a veteran receiver signed. The draft is loaded at the position, but it takes most of those guys at least a year to develop. We need a guy who will produce next season.
My guess is that they bring TY back at $$$ 4 million 1 year.

Oldcolt
04-15-2022, 08:23 PM
Defense keeps getting better, at least on paper. I love it.
Build a complete team

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-15-2022, 08:37 PM
Al Breer of Sports Illustrated (who has also covered sports for the Boston area) had some thoughts about the signing:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1514656599054372865

Gilmore's a really interesting fit . . . with the Colts. . . May not be the shutdown man-to-man guy he was a few years ago, but 100% fits Gus Bradley's mold for the position. And showing his worth in a Seattle-type system could add years to Gilmore's career.

Watching this one.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1514969452235870212

Continues a Colts trend this offseason that mirrors what the Patriots and Ravens have done in the past—signing third-contract veterans. Logic is there's more track record to go on and an added leadership/intangible element.

Think this move works to extend Gilmore's career too.

Colts And Orioles
04-18-2022, 12:36 PM
Colts Reportedly Trying to Sign Gilmore

o

https://www.nasljerseys.com/images/ABA/Colonels/Colonels%2072-73%20Home%20Wendall%20Ladner_small.jpg

o

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-21-2022, 12:00 PM

Rapoport provided an update with a few more details about Gilmore's contract. Spotrac has not updated their website yet, however.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1516426645451771905

Full details on the Colts contract for new CB Stephon Gilmore:

— It’s a 2-year deal worth a base value of $20M with a max value of $23M.

— It includes $10.51M fully guaranteed and $14M in total guarantees.

— Gilmore will get a Year 1 payout of $10.02M.

YDFL Commish
04-21-2022, 01:02 PM
If he performs to his capability, then that is the bargain of the century.

If not the Colts can get out of that contract after 1 season and owe him nothing.

Hoping that he returns to ALL Pro level.

rcubed
04-21-2022, 04:03 PM
Whats the diff between fully guaranteed and total guarantees? Doesn’t guaranteed mean guaranteed?

ChaosTheory
04-21-2022, 04:08 PM
Whats the diff between fully guaranteed and total guarantees? Doesn’t guaranteed mean guaranteed?

Guaranteed for certain situations? Like missing games for injury vs. being cut. I think.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-21-2022, 04:13 PM

"Fully guaranteed" means that the player will be receiving that money - no matter the circumstances.

Additionally, part of the contract could be guaranteed for a specific condition - such as guaranteed for injury only. That means that if the player suffers a football-related injury, cannot pass the team physical and is released, he will be owed that money that is injury guaranteed. On the other hand, if the player is healthy and cut for skill or salary cap reasons, that money is not due to the player.

Likewise, there could be amounts guaranteed for skill or cap purposes - although guaranteed for injury is probably used the most often of those three on an individual basis.