PDA

View Full Version : Rock Ya-Sin Traded to Raiders for Yannick Ngakoue

Chaka
03-16-2022, 02:35 PM
No details yet on whether either side provided additional compensation, other than the Raiders apparently taking on $7M of Ngakoue's cap hit.

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1504163778421735425

Update: Apparently it's a straight up swap

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1504163618203516935

Chromeburn
03-16-2022, 02:40 PM
I like it, it’s definitely a position of need and fills a massive hole. But now we have another hole to fill. Better than the FA’s on the market now though.

Also, we could have just signed Ngakoue last season when he was a free agent. Unless Eberflus did not want him.

rcubed
03-16-2022, 02:47 PM
I like it.

Oldcolt
03-16-2022, 02:59 PM
Good move. Pass rushers are more important and cost way more than corners. Ballard is re making this team. It will be interesting what we end up as.

rm1369
03-16-2022, 03:15 PM
Decent move helping to correct last years mistake. I thought Ya-Sin played pretty well last year though. Ballard recognizing his error or new DC not feeling Ya-Sin?

YDFL Commish
03-16-2022, 03:28 PM
Good move. Pass rushers are more important and cost way more than corners. Ballard is re making this team. It will be interesting what we end up as.

My thoughts exactly.

Oldcolt
03-16-2022, 03:29 PM
What irritates the hell out of me is that this is a move that could have been done last year, except Ngakoue was a free agent and we know how Ballard feels about them. We could have had both Rock and Ngakoue. Apparently it was an overpay for a free agent but right where value is in a trade (as a free agent he would have only cost the money we are now going to give him anyway. Now the cost includes Rock) Looking at it just this year a good trade. Looking at it over the last two years he ended up costing us a lot more than he should have.

Chaka
03-16-2022, 04:20 PM
What irritates the hell out of me is that this is a move that could have been done last year, except Ngakoue was a free agent and we know how Ballard feels about them. We could have had both Rock and Ngakoue. Apparently it was an overpay for a free agent but right where value is in a trade (as a free agent he would have only cost the money we are now going to give him anyway. Now the cost includes Rock) Looking at it just this year a good trade. Looking at it over the last two years he ended up costing us a lot more than he should have.

Perfectly valid point, but I'm guessing the explanation is the change in DC. Bradley was the Raiders' DC last year and worked directly with Ngakoue and, as Chromeburn suggested, maybe this deal doesn't occur if Eberflus was still here.

IndyNorm
03-16-2022, 04:22 PM

Well you know what Ballard says: why spend cap space on player now when you can trade someone who has developed into a productive player and take on the player's cap hit a year from now?

JAFF
03-16-2022, 04:24 PM
Yeah Ballard has no idea what he is doing.

BOOM

JAFF
03-16-2022, 04:25 PM

That sounds really good if you invent a time machine and can go back to fix it. Doesn’t matter what happened in the past it only matters what happens now

apballin
03-16-2022, 04:55 PM
Ngakwe has followed Bradley I’m guessing this is all Bradley

Great fucking move I’m ecstatic

Mr. Session
03-16-2022, 05:51 PM
I enjoyed seeing Rock turn a corner last year. In some ways that is what this is all about. He was challenged thoroughly and he overcame and I was genuinely proud of that kid.

I will be sad to see him go. I hope this works best for us..

Oldcolt
03-16-2022, 06:11 PM
That sounds really good if you invent a time machine and can go back to fix it. Doesn’t matter what happened in the past it only matters what happens now

Some people find introspection and looking at what has happened previously to be a way of learning and improving. I'm not sure where you came up with me wanting to fix anything, I was just making an observation. I since have had the insight of our fellow posters and see that this is a move made in conjunction with Bradley. Relax.

ChaosTheory
03-16-2022, 06:34 PM
I enjoyed seeing Rock turn a corner last year. In some ways that is what this is all about. He was challenged thoroughly and he overcame and I was genuinely proud of that kid.

I will be sad to see him go. I hope this works best for us..

I feel the same. I think on paper, we got the better player at the more important position. However, I've read from some Raiders writers/fans that bring up the scheme fit. Rock is better at man coverage, which they'll run more than us. And Ngakoue needs to be a 4-3 DE, not a 3-4 EDGE (which Chandler Jones is).

Overall they're pretty bummed to lose him but even more excited to have Chandler Jones.

omahacolt
03-16-2022, 06:55 PM

good post, old

couldn't agree more

IndyNorm
03-16-2022, 07:18 PM
Ngakwe has followed Bradley I’m guessing this is all Bradley

Great fucking move I’m ecstatic

This is probably what happened. Obviously Ballard's reputation as being a total cheap ass in FA preceded itself in a lot of our early reactions.

Brylok
03-17-2022, 12:40 AM
I like that trade and Bradley being the new DC is going to change some things. That's also why the new CB came here. I won't try to type his name yet.

JAFF
03-17-2022, 07:55 AM
Some people find introspection and looking at what has happened previously to be a way of learning and improving. I'm not sure where you came up with me wanting to fix anything, I was just making an observation. I since have had the insight of our fellow posters and see that this is a move made in conjunction with Bradley. Relax.

I am relaxed. Past is prolog. Its silly to think Ballard could have done this move last year. They dropped a huge chuck of money on a one year QB. Different year, different cap number, major overhaul of the coaching staff.

Oldcolt
03-17-2022, 11:29 AM
I am relaxed. Past is prolog. Its silly to think Ballard could have done this move last year. They dropped a huge chuck of money on a one year QB. Different year, different cap number, major overhaul of the coaching staff.

We don't disagree. Hard for me to have a nuanced conversation sometimes when not in person.

He has been with 5 teams in his 6 year career but 3 has been with Bradley so Bradley must love him. He was going to Bradley last year no matter what. Ngakoue has only missed 2 games in 6 years, availability has been an issue with us. Ten sacks and 23 QB hits is so much better than our ends last year. Nice move.

JAFF
03-17-2022, 12:48 PM
We don't disagree. Hard for me to have a nuanced conversation sometimes when not in person.

He has been with 5 teams in his 6 year career but 3 has been with Bradley so Bradley must love him. He was going to Bradley last year no matter what. Ngakoue has only missed 2 games in 6 years, availability has been an issue with us. Ten sacks and 23 QB hits is so much better than our ends last year. Nice move.

I love the move, checks a box and makes the team better.

rcubed
03-17-2022, 01:11 PM

it is kind of odd that he has bounced around, but the numbers seem to be there. also, raiders fans on reddit seem to like him and indicated he will be good for us. and apparently gus must really like him since this is the third time they will be together.

Oldcolt
03-17-2022, 01:47 PM
it is kind of odd that he has bounced around, but the numbers seem to be there. also, raiders fans on reddit seem to like him and indicated he will be good for us. and apparently gus must really like him since this is the third time they will be together.

It seems he bounced around because he followed Bradley, who loves the dude.

Chromeburn
03-17-2022, 02:57 PM
Perfectly valid point, but I'm guessing the explanation is the change in DC. Bradley was the Raiders' DC last year and worked directly with Ngakoue and, as Chromeburn suggested, maybe this deal doesn't occur if Eberflus was still here.

Looking at the type of DEs Eberflus likes. Guys that can defend the run and pass, and given his emphasis on stopping the run. I think this is probably what happened. Ngakoue is a mediocre run defender at best. But Colt fans are used to pass rushers not good against the run. Also apparently Bradley went to bat for Yannick, saying he was a big reason they went to the playoffs and he was an active leader.

Also we assume he would pick Indy over Vegas. Vegas is a big draw for FAs.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
05-05-2022, 12:30 PM
Good article here in case you want to learn more about the Colts new edge rusher:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/you-dont-know-yannick-ngakoue?s=w

Colts And Orioles
05-05-2022, 12:45 PM
Good article here in case you want to learn more about the Colts new edge rusher:

o

I wish that I could thank this post twice.

o

Indystu2
05-05-2022, 01:33 PM
Great article

Spike
05-05-2022, 02:13 PM

Awesome story, thank's for sharing it. Pulling for this dude big time. I can't even imagine living how he had to as a young child. This is the kind of story that should be made into a movie, not the BS they are putting out now.

daedge
05-05-2022, 11:59 PM
Great read. Loved the quotes re making the Raiders pay.

apballin
05-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Holy fuck, this dudes on a vengeance tour

He might break Derrick Thomas record vs the raiders

smitty46953
05-06-2022, 09:37 PM

Great read thanks :cool:

IndyNorm
05-07-2022, 09:01 AM

Yeah, great read. Really looking forward to watching Ngakoue terrorize opponent QBs this year!