PDA

View Full Version : If the Colts Sign Baker

Puck
03-15-2022, 11:16 PM
I will give up and the site goes to Smitty.

If you love me. Don't root for Baker here Although you may love Smitty more anyway. LOL

I will be done

FUCK BAKER MAYFIELD

rcubed
03-15-2022, 11:45 PM
I wont go that far but god please no baker.

And yes, we all like smitty better than you

rcubed
03-15-2022, 11:51 PM
For fucks sake just run elhinger out there and get young or stroud next year

Or get minshew and trade up next year.

IndyNorm
03-15-2022, 11:58 PM
What would make matters worse is that Baker's not a FA, so we'd have to trade for him.

Puck
03-16-2022, 12:03 AM
I wont go that far but god please no baker.

And yes, we all like smitty better than you

HAHA I'm serious It will be grilling and swimming in the fall and rooting for Ballard to be fired when the weather turns.

Love his commercials. hate him as a QB

Chaka
03-16-2022, 12:05 AM
Sounds like Baker thinks he's on the move somewhere, at least:

https://twitter.com/bakermayfield/status/1503914793228402689

smitty46953
03-16-2022, 12:21 AM
HAHA I'm serious It will be grilling and swimming in the fall and rooting for Ballard to be fired when the weather turns.

Love his commercials. hate him as a QB

Be right there with ya !!! :cool:

Oldcolt
03-16-2022, 12:27 AM
I got a bad feeling about this.

Puck
03-16-2022, 12:40 AM
Be right there with ya !!! :cool:

Oh Fuck Omaha is next up? Oh FUCK

Chaka
03-16-2022, 12:57 AM
Our own Lawrence Owen is reporting that Baker Mayfield will be the next Indy QB:

https://twitter.com/Colts_Law/status/1503942901230878721

Brylok
03-16-2022, 01:12 AM
He does commercials! We'll have a commercial doing QB again!

Puck
03-16-2022, 01:22 AM
Our own Lawrence Owen is reporting that Baker Mayfield will be the next Indy QB:

https://twitter.com/Colts_Law/status/1503942901230878721

Ugh. Welp Smitty Its yours to give to whoever. LOL

nate505
03-16-2022, 01:25 AM
I'll go against the grain a bit in that I don't hate the idea of Baker.

I sorta don't like the guy in general, and I really hate the idea of giving up significant assets for him though.

Brylok
03-16-2022, 01:32 AM
In his message to 'Cleveland', he invoked God and dropped in his middle name...Reagan. It sounds like he's going to Indiana to me. Ohhhh man.

smitty46953
03-16-2022, 01:40 AM
Ugh. Welp Smitty Its yours to give to whoever. LOLOmaha Omaha hut

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Puck
03-16-2022, 01:44 AM

I sorta don't like the guy in general, and I really hate the idea of giving up significant assets for him though.

I like the guy in general. Great commercials. He's just not a good QB. and definitely no where near a #1 pick in the draft

Hoopsdoc
03-16-2022, 05:09 AM

I’d give him a shot with Frank coaching him. Would be interesting to se what Frank could get out of him.

Just please don’t give up a lot for him.

apballin
03-16-2022, 05:23 AM
Of the options on the table, if you add his name he’s the best option

I’ll take a pissed off Baker

njcoltfan
03-16-2022, 05:36 AM

Like him or hate him, he's a gamer, the guy leaves everything on the field. the Colt's could do a lot worse !!

JAFF
03-16-2022, 05:50 AM

Can you see the Death Star on the horizon

rm1369
03-16-2022, 07:20 AM
I’m not terribly excited about Mayfield - he has plenty of concerns. But assuming Carr isn’t an option, he’s probably the best “win now” option available to the Colts. If they pull the trigger Ballard is going to have to open the purse strings and address the other major issues on the roster though, otherwise it makes no sense. You get one year to evaluate him. Don’t half ass it.

TheMugwump
03-16-2022, 07:23 AM
Can you see the Death Star on the horizon

That's no moon!

ChoppedWood
03-16-2022, 07:32 AM
I suppose one good thing about Baker coming here, it will mean that by probably mid November, a new coach and GM will be named in Indy which will make me happy. The team will be screwed for years and years of course and guys like Nelson and Leonard will be old and grey by the time we have any sort of rebound, Taylor and Pittman will very likely refuse a 2nd contracts with us, but at least we won't still have the cheapskate and reclamation man to have to overcome every single year.

Racehorse
03-16-2022, 09:19 AM

Han Solo, is that you?

Dam8610
03-16-2022, 09:29 AM

I'd still go with Jameis Winston who will cost nothing but money.

Racehorse
03-16-2022, 09:51 AM

That is where I am. Baker may be a little better, but the costs would be much higher. Winston or another FA is my preference.

apballin
03-16-2022, 10:08 AM

Coming off an ACL has never won anything and can I emphasize…..

Holds the ball waaayyyy to goddamit long

Lov2fish
03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Of the shitty list of QB's I would take Baker over any of them, but that is a double edged sword, the rest suck. Until we get a left tackle, WR, a true pass rusher and a few other holes, along with some depth it doesn't matter who is slinging the ball around, we will be mediocre. If they bring Mayfield in and we don't win at least 12 games next year, fuck it, blow it up and start trading for draft picks and start this thing over. Every year we are middle of the road, the older our tradable guys get and value goes down.

Racehorse
03-16-2022, 10:27 AM
Of the shitty list of QB's I would take Baker over any of them, but that is a double edged sword, the rest suck. Until we get a left tackle, WR, a true pass rusher and a few other holes, along with some depth it doesn't matter who is slinging the ball around, we will be mediocre. If they bring Mayfield in and we don't win at least 12 games next year, fuck it, blow it up and start trading for draft picks and start this thing over. Every year we are middle of the road, the older our tradable guys get and value goes down.I hate the thought of blowing it all up, but sometimes you have to go backwards in order to move forward. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Ironshaft
03-16-2022, 10:43 AM
All the Colts need is a solid QB who can run the system, not make many mistakes and occasionally push the ball down the field to back the defenders off of JT.

Career Numbers:

62.0% Completion / 204-118 TD-INT / 5.9% sack rate / 237.5 YPG / 87.5 QBR / 35 years old / Dalton
59.4% Completion / 186-113 TD-INT / 6.8% sack rate / 223.5 YPG / 85.4 QBR / 33 years old / Newton
61.3% Completion / 121-088 TD-INT / 6.2% sack rate / 274.1 YPG / 86.9 QBR / 28 years old / Winston
62.9% Completion / 076-044 TD-INT / 8.1% sack rate / 209.6 YPG / 89.6 QBR / 29 years old / Mariota
61.6% Completion / 092-056 TD-INT / 6.5% sack rate / 235.4 YPG / 87.8 QBR / 27 years old / Mayfield

From the stats, Dalton and Winston are the best of the bunch. Baker delivers nothing over Winston (or even Mariota) except for being a couple of years younger.

Regardless, all of these guys are a 1, 2 or 3 year band aid for the Colts. None can carry a team by being even an "average" QB. Please don't trade away picks to get another Carson Wentz.

rm1369
03-16-2022, 12:32 PM
All the Colts need is a solid QB who can run the system, not make many mistakes and occasionally push the ball down the field to back the defenders off of JT.

Career Numbers:

62.0% Completion / 204-118 TD-INT / 5.9% sack rate / 237.5 YPG / 87.5 QBR / 35 years old / Dalton
59.4% Completion / 186-113 TD-INT / 6.8% sack rate / 223.5 YPG / 85.4 QBR / 33 years old / Newton
61.3% Completion / 121-088 TD-INT / 6.2% sack rate / 274.1 YPG / 86.9 QBR / 28 years old / Winston
62.9% Completion / 076-044 TD-INT / 8.1% sack rate / 209.6 YPG / 89.6 QBR / 29 years old / Mariota
61.6% Completion / 092-056 TD-INT / 6.5% sack rate / 235.4 YPG / 87.8 QBR / 27 years old / Mayfield

From the stats, Dalton and Winston are the best of the bunch. Baker delivers nothing over Winston (or even Mariota) except for being a couple of years younger.

Regardless, all of these guys are a 1, 2 or 3 year band aid for the Colts. None can carry a team by being even an "average" QB. Please don't trade away picks to get another Carson Wentz.

The problem when you get to this level of QB is that they are system dependent. They aren’t capable of overcoming adversity or carrying the team long term. I could go through season by season for each of these guys and “explain” away issues / bad seasons. Look at Ryan Tannehill as an example - two pretty damn good seasons sandwiched around a lot of mediocre ones. Support him enough and he appears to be a decent QB. Don’t and you are looking for an upgrade. With any of these guys that is the best you are going to get. But that doesn’t make them even or interchangeable. Since they are system dependent the key is how their individual strengths match the Colts. I won’t claim to have watched enough film on all these guys to have a really strong opinion. But what I do have a strong opinion on is that once Ballard decides, he is going to have to fill some other holes to help support them or it will be another waste. To me looking at their career stats is almost meaningless though.

omahacolt
03-16-2022, 12:34 PM
Oh Fuck Omaha is next up? Oh FUCK

yep

i do believe i would have to be next in line

omahacolt
03-16-2022, 12:38 PM
giving away any draft capital, well significant anyway, is a terrible mistake for guy like mayfield or anyone like him.

we gambled and lost with wentz. just bring in the best guy you can without giving up much and carry on.

IndyNorm
03-16-2022, 01:11 PM
giving away any draft capital, well significant anyway, is a terrible mistake for guy like mayfield or anyone like him.

we gambled and lost with wentz. just bring in the best guy you can without giving up much and carry on.

Trading away draft capital is especially detrimental for the Colts since Ballard refuses to fill needs outside of the draft, at least with anything more than 1 year band aids. Also, acquiring Mayfield would probably drive Ballard to hoard cap space even more this offseason (if that's possible) since he would have to hold back cap money to re-sign Mayfield if things work out.

Butter
03-16-2022, 01:22 PM

I agree, none of these guys make me want to give up much beyond a 3rd-day pick if that.

nate505
03-16-2022, 02:15 PM
Like what is the most the Colts could give up in draft capital that would make people here not wretch? I know for some it's anything. For me it's:

1st Round Pick: Throwing up all season. That would be infuriating.
2nd Round Pick: Would be pretty damn upset
3rd Round Pick: About the most I could tolerate
4th-7th Round Pick: I'm fine with that

Of course, would the Browns trade him for just a 3rd round pick or worse? I don't think so.

Oldcolt
03-16-2022, 03:02 PM
If the Colts don't see him as a long term replacement (unlike most of you I cannot for the life of me tell which of the bunch left is good or bad for this team) I don't want to give anything for Mayfield. If they think there is a possibility that he is our long term QB then a third or a fourth would be ok.

CletusPyle
03-16-2022, 03:30 PM
If true...does that mean McDumbass is going to trade Carr to the Browns, I know the Browns have been trying to get him!

YDFL Commish
03-16-2022, 03:31 PM
The Browns are in the running for Watson. If they get him then Baker will eventually be released.

Getting him for free is the best option.

JAFF
03-16-2022, 04:13 PM
That's no moon!

Its a spacestation!!!!!!!!

bigalbert
03-16-2022, 04:25 PM
Heck argue all you want, he won in Cleveland for fricks sake. Plus add in that Cowherd hates him and all he’s ever done is win wherever he was. I’m good to go here. He should be healthy coming in tho is my concern. He was banged up pretty bad last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apballin
03-16-2022, 04:52 PM
Baker played better without OBJ

Throwing the diva in fucked his game up IMO and he played hurt all year

He made the fucking Browns relevant again

CletusPyle
03-16-2022, 05:09 PM
I will give up and the site goes to Smitty.

If you love me. Don't root for Baker here Although you may love Smitty more anyway. LOL

I will be done

FUCK BAKER MAYFIELD

Say it ain't so! This looks like it might happen....it might not be all that bad, Wentz could not become the player he once was, but maybe Baker Mayfield can?

apballin
03-16-2022, 06:22 PM
Say it ain't so! This looks like it might happen....it might not be all that bad, Wentz could not become the player he once was, but maybe Baker Mayfield can?

He runs the offense, takes what the defense is giving and most importantly gets it out of his hands quick

Reich was able to convince Luck to stop the hero ball unfortunately he wasn’t able to get that thru Wentz head

IndyNorm
03-16-2022, 07:15 PM
He runs the offense, takes what the defense is giving and most importantly gets it out of his hands quick

Reich was able to convince Luck to stop the hero ball unfortunately he wasn’t able to get that thru Wentz head

To be fair he did improve each year until last year, which could be mostly b/c he was hurt. His completion percentage isn't great and he throws too many picks, but maybe that can be coached out of him.

If we do trade for him I hope we don't have to give up too much draft pick wise b/c Ballard won't add anyone in FA except for a couple 1 year band aids.

bigalbert
03-16-2022, 07:33 PM
Colts Twitter is going ham. Might be more than just smoke. Lol

Ironshaft
03-16-2022, 07:37 PM
Colts Twitter is going ham. Might be more than just smoke. Lol

What does that mean?

Puck
03-16-2022, 08:52 PM
Heck argue all you want, he won in Cleveland for fricks sake. Plus add in that Cowherd hates him and all he’s ever done is win wherever he was. I’m good to go here. He should be healthy coming in tho is my concern. He was banged up pretty bad last year.

He only has one winning season in the NFL.

He has an overall 30-30 record in the NFL. He is not a winning QB

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/baker-mayfield-career-win-loss-record-each-year

Dewey 5
03-16-2022, 08:58 PM
What does that mean?

Everyone going ape shit.

Hoopsdoc
03-16-2022, 09:50 PM
Like what is the most the Colts could give up in draft capital that would make people here not wretch? I know for some it's anything. For me it's:

1st Round Pick: Throwing up all season. That would be infuriating.
2nd Round Pick: Would be pretty damn upset
3rd Round Pick: About the most I could tolerate
4th-7th Round Pick: I'm fine with that

Of course, would the Browns trade him for just a 3rd round pick or worse? I don't think so.

Not talking about you specifically but I think, in general, fans assign way to much value to draft picks. If you can trade a pick to upgrade a position immediately, you do it. Draft picks are a low percentage gamble anyway, even with Ballard, who is pretty good at drafting.

If you’re the Colts and you have Ehlinger and a tomato can at quarterback, you HAVE to do whatever it takes to change that, even if it means trading away premium draft picks.

Hell, look at the Rams. They trade picks like candy and they just won the super bowl.

bigalbert
03-16-2022, 10:16 PM
He only has one winning season in the NFL.

He has an overall 30-30 record in the NFL. He is not a winning QB

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/baker-mayfield-career-win-loss-record-each-year

Bud I’m a diehard Colts fan same as you but use some perspective. The Browns were 11-53 in the 4 seasons prior to Baker Mayfield. He was 30-30 in the 4 he spent there. That is winning

Dewey 5
03-16-2022, 10:35 PM
Bud I’m a diehard Colts fan same as you but use some perspective. The Browns were 11-53 in the 4 seasons prior to Baker Mayfield. He was 30-30 in the 4 he spent there. That is winning

And what 4 different coaches.

Hue Jackson & Gegg Williams in year 1
The great Freddie Kitchens in year 2
Kevin Stefanski 2020-2021

Puck
03-16-2022, 11:13 PM
Here is what Mort had to say about Baker

https://omny.fm/shows/bull-fox/bull-fox-talk-about-chris-mortensens-comments-that

Brylok
03-17-2022, 12:45 AM
I still have no idea what they're doing at QB. With Jacoby, Phil, and Wentz...we knew. This is bizarre.

CletusPyle
03-17-2022, 08:06 AM
I still have no idea what they're doing at QB. With Jacoby, Phil, and Wentz...we knew. This is bizarre.

Would they really have traded Wentz without knowing exactly what they were going to do at QB? If so, Ballard has balls of steel!

JAFF
03-17-2022, 08:15 AM
Would they really have traded Wentz without knowing exactly what they were going to do at QB? If so, Ballard has balls of steel!

And wears extra roomie boxers. My be exhausting walking around.

rcubed
03-17-2022, 09:39 AM

Not necessarily. If irsay was truely driving getting rid of wentz then ballard could have just been following orders. I am sure they looked at the landscape and had plans of attack but knowing exactly… i doubt it. Too many unknowns.

Racehorse
03-17-2022, 09:43 AM

Does this mean they think Sam is ready?

rm1369
03-17-2022, 10:05 AM
Does this mean they think Sam is ready?

Ready for what? I have no idea what some fans have seen to give them any indication Ehlinger is even bottom end starting quality. He’s a 6th rd pick who sucked in preseason, was injured and then wasn’t even the primary backup when one was necessary. If the Colt’s plans involve him starting it will truly be time to start calling for new leadership.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-17-2022, 11:40 AM
FWIW - reportedly the Browns are out of the running for Watson.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1504474308982173701

The Browns have been informed they’re out of the running for Deshaun Watson, a source says.

The team still views Baker Mayfield as their quarterback going forward. They told Mayfield’s agents at the Combine they’d only explore top-tier QBs such as Watson.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1504474632107159552

Now, we wait to see how Baker Mayfield handles things after his statement the other day. In recent days, he’s told some Browns teammates he’s prepared for anything. Returning to Cleveland still very much an option.

JAFF
03-17-2022, 12:45 PM
Ready for what? .

There are so many options if they are NOT football related

Colts And Orioles
03-17-2022, 12:45 PM
I still have no idea what they're doing at QB ...... with Jacoby, Phil, and Wentz, we knew. This is bizarre.

o

We were in limbo for a couple of months after Rivers retired in January of 2021 and Wentz was signed in March of that same year.

o

ChaosTheory
03-17-2022, 02:11 PM
So, if rumors are correct, we're essentially waiting on Deshaun Watson to get signed? One of these teams is going to bail on Mayfield, Ryan, or Winston and the Colts are ready to grab one?

I heard locally that Watson to CLE is off the table now. Anybody know if that's confirmed? I assume that means Mayfield to IND is off the table? So now Ryan or Winston.

I don't particularly like Winston... but I think I like him more than Mayfield. Ryan would be a no-brainer between the three, but apparently he fell off a cliff last season. Apparently ATL has to make a decision on Ryan's bonus before 4pm today.

Dewey 5
03-17-2022, 03:50 PM
Mayfield has just requested to be traded.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1504541313420648450

Lov2fish
03-17-2022, 04:18 PM
Mayfield has just requested to be traded.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1504541313420648450

And the Browns say they won't trade him. The Browns being the Browns. Gonna be an awkward season for em. lol Only Cleveland can pull off this much front office dysfunction!

IndyNorm
03-17-2022, 09:02 PM

I would have hoped that Ballard did have a plan in place, but it's looking like the only plan in place was to get rid of Wentz.

JAFF
03-17-2022, 09:31 PM
I would have hoped that Ballard did have a plan in place, but it's looking like the only plan in place was to get rid of Wentz.

He's batting .500 then, stop complaining. :D:eek::cool:

Lov2fish
03-17-2022, 10:01 PM
Once the Watson debacle is settled you will see some movement on a QB. If he goes to Atlanta I would take Ryan nearing the end of his career versus those scrubs on the trash heap in free agency.

Puck
03-17-2022, 11:05 PM
Just a reminder. FUCK BAKER!!!!

bigalbert
03-17-2022, 11:53 PM
Just a reminder. FUCK BAKER!!!!

Lol. I’m starting to hope he comes here and leads us in a deep run in the playoffs while you’re rooting for the Patriots?

Puck
03-17-2022, 11:55 PM
Lol. I’m starting to hope he comes here and leads us in a deep run in the playoffs while you’re rooting for the Patriots?

LOL. Touche'

I'd root for the Bills BTW LOL

Puck
03-18-2022, 12:00 AM
My lean right now is (hear me out). Winston and 2 deep threat WR to compliment Pitt. And the D has to decide whether to worry about JT or the deep ball.

Can Frank draw that up?

Winston CAN throw the ball

Other than that... I got nothing

njcoltfan
03-18-2022, 08:14 AM
My lean right now is (hear me out). Winston and 2 deep threat WR to compliment Pitt. And the D has to decide whether to worry about JT or the deep ball.

Can Frank draw that up?

Your guess is as good as anyone else's !! Would be nice if there was any sort of info coming from the Colt's facility, but alas it's just the sound of crickets. Still need QB, OT, WR, CB !! I wonder if Ballard had, or has a plan for replacing Wentz, or if he just got rid of him because Irsay wanted him to !!

MeSayDayo
03-18-2022, 08:21 AM

Can Frank draw that up?

In a sense, I think you are on to something. I would look for a deep threat WR even for trade if we need to. He doesn't have to be Elite, but must keep the D honest.
I wonder what it would take to get Gabriel Davis? Robby Anderson? Tyler Lockett? From what is left on the FA market, there isn't much to get excited about as far as deep threats are concerned. Desean Jackson? No thanks. Will Fuller? He'll be on IR by the end of OTAs. If only AB wasn't Batshit...but if he wasn't, I'm sure he would be well employed at the moment.
The guy doesn't necessarily have to produce, but at least make the D account for his deep presence. Opens things up for JT that much more, and nobody will respect that with Jimmy G or Baker or Ryan. But they will with Winston, because he has a cannon and he's not afraid to let it loose.

I am also disappointed that we haven't addressed TE beyond resigning MAC. For all his freakish abilities, he has shown a lack of fluidity in his route running and general uncomfortableness with absorbing contact.

Coltsalr
03-18-2022, 09:16 AM
Gimme Matt Ryan.

He'd be Philip Rivers with more juice.

We were THIS close to beating Buffalo with Rivers. Football is a game of inches and if we have that extra spark with Ryan, this team could go places.

apballin
03-18-2022, 10:13 AM
Gimme Matt Ryan.

He'd be Philip Rivers with more juice.

We were THIS close to beating Buffalo with Rivers. Football is a game of inches and if we have that extra spark with Ryan, this team could go places.

Exactly this we’d be the 05 Seahawks—- run left every time and Matty Ice playing the role of Hasselbeck

apballin
03-18-2022, 10:14 AM

Can Frank draw that up?

Winston can throw picks, he is another Wentz

Coltsalr
03-18-2022, 10:15 AM
Exactly this we’d be the 05 Seahawks—- run left every time and Matty Ice playing the role of Hasselbeck

And we’d go to the Super Bowl and win if not for some bullshit ref calls and some trick plays?

I’ll take it!

Racehorse
03-18-2022, 10:18 AM
Ready for what? I have no idea what some fans have seen to give them any indication Ehlinger is even bottom end starting quality. He’s a 6th rd pick who sucked in preseason, was injured and then wasn’t even the primary backup when one was necessary. If the Colt’s plans involve him starting it will truly be time to start calling for new leadership.

I never said it was my thought. I was asking if the FO thought this.

Racehorse
03-18-2022, 10:21 AM

Can Frank draw that up?

I could go for that. He is probably the best option we have.

Racehorse
03-18-2022, 10:22 AM
In a sense, I think you are on to something. I would look for a deep threat WR even for trade if we need to. He doesn't have to be Elite, but must keep the D honest.
I wonder what it would take to get Gabriel Davis? Robby Anderson? Tyler Lockett? From what is left on the FA market, there isn't much to get excited about as far as deep threats are concerned. Desean Jackson? No thanks. Will Fuller? He'll be on IR by the end of OTAs. If only AB wasn't Batshit...but if he wasn't, I'm sure he would be well employed at the moment.
The guy doesn't necessarily have to produce, but at least make the D account for his deep presence. Opens things up for JT that much more, and nobody will respect that with Jimmy G or Baker or Ryan. But they will with Winston, because he has a cannon and he's not afraid to let it loose.

I am also disappointed that we haven't addressed TE beyond resigning MAC. For all his freakish abilities, he has shown a lack of fluidity in his route running and general uncomfortableness with absorbing contact.
We have two speedy guys who could fill that role, but one is very raw and the other is oft-injured.

MeSayDayo
03-18-2022, 10:24 AM
Winston unquestionably gives us a higher ceiling over Matt Ryan.
Matt Ryan definitely gives us a higher floor than Winston.
EVEN

Matt Ryan may require draft picks to acquire and will likely come with a 30+ million price tag.
Winston is a FA and will only cost money to acquire (approx. the same deal Trubisky signed @ 12-15 million per year)
+1 Winston

Matt Ryan is a savvy veteran, former MVP, and a very smart QB. One could assume that he would be able to mentor a young draft pick QB, either this year or next.
Winston has not benefited from longevity or success in any place for a sustained period. I have read about his leadership qualities, but doubt he brings in any tutelage value to the Colts.
+1 Ryan

Matt Ryan is 37 years old and likely only has 2-3 years left.
Winston is 10 years younger and if he hits, has the intangibles to maybe land here for a while. Ballard has said he wants to address the position for now AND the future. If Ryan balls out, it will only be for a year or two, and we are RIGHT back to where we are now with our star players being 3 years older.
+1 Winston

Therefore, you see which move I think makes the most sense both short term and long term (Winston)

Racehorse
03-18-2022, 10:29 AM
Winston unquestionably gives us a higher ceiling over Matt Ryan.
Matt Ryan definitely gives us a higher floor than Winston.
EVEN

Matt Ryan may require draft picks to acquire and will likely come with a 30+ million price tag.
Winston is a FA and will only cost money to acquire (approx. the same deal Trubisky signed @ 12-15 million per year)
+1 Winston

Matt Ryan is a savvy veteran, former MVP, and a very smart QB. One could assume that he would be able to mentor a young draft pick QB, either this year or next.
Winston has not benefited from longevity or success in any place for a sustained period. I have read about his leadership qualities, but doubt he brings in any tutelage value to the Colts.
+1 Ryan

Matt Ryan is 37 years old and likely only has 2-3 years left.
Winston is 10 years younger and if he hits, has the intangibles to maybe land here for a while. Ballard has said he wants to address the position for now AND the future. If Ryan balls out, it will only be for a year or two, and we are RIGHT back to where we are now with our star players being 3 years older.
+1 Winston

Therefore, you see which move I think makes the most sense both short term and long term (Winston)

Add in that Ryan's arm has fallen off and laying on the turf in Atlanta, and the choice should be obvious.

MeSayDayo
03-18-2022, 10:31 AM
Having said that...If Ryan does become our QB, I would at least hope that we bring in Julio for a year for peanuts

omahacolt
03-18-2022, 10:40 AM

Can Frank draw that up?

i would rather have mariota than winston

Butter
03-18-2022, 10:42 AM
Winston is trash, if we are going for off the street trash I am with Omaha, just get Mariota.

Lov2fish
03-18-2022, 10:44 AM
i would rather have mariota than winston

I'm in that boat. If we are going to scour through the dumpster might as well get one that can run. Winston is Wentz. He won't turn the fucking ball loose until the entire D is in his face, and the result is 50/50 completion to a Colt, or the opposing team. He is just not good and I can't believe people that are allegedly intelligent are singing his praises. Dude sucks.

JAFF
03-18-2022, 11:04 AM
Winston is Wentz..

More I think about it, you are correct

woodyscolts
03-18-2022, 12:37 PM
Hold out for 3-4 years and we could have a Manning with maybe a Harrison!

Coltsalr
03-18-2022, 03:29 PM
Winston is Wentz.

Except more rapey.

apballin
03-18-2022, 04:01 PM
Wow Watson chose the Browns, it may be baker after all

CletusPyle
03-18-2022, 04:03 PM
Remember the last QB we had that made funny commercials?

"Cut that meat, cut that meat, cut that meat!"

omahacolt
03-18-2022, 05:10 PM
Except more rapey.

and you always want the least rapey as possible

always

Hoopsdoc
03-18-2022, 05:15 PM

Apparently Baker has requested a trade to the Colts, according to Florio.

I’m not sure how much leverage he has. I’d guess he’ll go to the highest bidder.

Swing4DaFences
03-18-2022, 05:19 PM

I’m not sure how much leverage he has. I’d guess he’ll go to the highest bidder.

The less we give the Browns for him in the trade, the better it is for him once he gets here. He’s helping stack the deck in our favor.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-18-2022, 05:19 PM

Looks like the Falcons and Panthers balked at the salary demands so Watson double backed to Cleveland. Money talks.

https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1504909838878343171

The Falcons thought they were close.

Very close to landing Watson.

And they were actually working something out, but late in the talks came even more demands including more money and guarantees per sources.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1504910131682844678

The Panthers resisted some of the monetary requests, sources say.

The Falcons pushed back as well.

This all opened the door for the Browns to sneak back in.

omahacolt
03-18-2022, 05:20 PM

if the colts offer anything more than a 5th, i will be pissed

bigalbert
03-18-2022, 05:21 PM
Puck your nightmare might be coming true.
Lol

Hoopsdoc
03-18-2022, 05:24 PM

It’ll be more than a 5th. There are to many teams who still need a qb.

I’d guess at least a 3rd.

Swing4DaFences
03-18-2022, 05:25 PM

We got a 2nd and a 3rd for Wentz. If we get Baker for anything less than that, I’m fine with it.

Oldcolt
03-18-2022, 05:38 PM
Baker sounds like a prick. Not saying that is a bad thing (I would much rather have a prick than anyone who is even on the rapey scale), but if he wants the Colts I have a feeling he will make sure that the Colts are the team he is traded to, if we want him. Everyone available has been cast aside and looks like crap right now. It is up to Ballard to shift through this morass of QBs and find the one who can actually turn things around. Surely with this many out there one of them has to be better than the rest. Ballard needs to find that one, whomever it is.

rcubed
03-18-2022, 05:50 PM
Come on ballard, dont do anything stupid now…

IndyNorm
03-18-2022, 05:54 PM
Come on ballard, dont do anything stupid now…

Like waste a year of JT's, Leonard's, Q's, etc. prime by handing the QB position to Ehlinger?

IndyNorm
03-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Baker sounds like a prick. Not saying that is a bad thing (I would much rather have a prick than anyone who is even on the rapey scale), but if he wants the Colts I have a feeling he will make sure that the Colts are the team he is traded to, if we want him. Everyone available has been cast aside and looks like crap right now. It is up to Ballard to shift through this morass of QBs and find the one who can actually turn things around. Surely with this many out there one of them has to be better than the rest. Ballard needs to find that one, whomever it is.

Maybe having a team dump him will set Baker on the right path. Didn't work for Wentz, but maybe it will for Baker.

Hoopsdoc
03-18-2022, 06:00 PM

I’d be interested in knowing exactly what he told the Browns when he requested a trade to Indy.

I mean, theoretically he has no leverage here. The Browns can send him wherever they want. He doesn’t have a no trade clause.

rcubed
03-18-2022, 06:15 PM
Like waste a year of JT's, Leonard's, Q's, etc. prime by handing the QB position to Ehlinger?

As opposed to giving up more picks for a junk qb that wont win a SB for us?

IndyNorm
03-18-2022, 06:32 PM
As opposed to giving up more picks for a junk qb that wont win a SB for us?

If we give up less to get Mayfield than what we got in return for Wentz then it's worth the risk IMO. He had a bad year last year, but he was hurt. Before the shoulder injury he had improved every year despite their organization being a dumpster fire.

rcubed
03-18-2022, 06:41 PM
If we give up less to get Mayfield than what we got in return for Wentz then it's worth the risk IMO. He had a bad year last year, but he was hurt. Before the shoulder injury he had improved every year despite their organization being a dumpster fire.

Decent argument.

JAFF
03-18-2022, 08:28 PM

If they give us a 5th to take Mayfield off their hands isnt so bad?

Racehorse
03-18-2022, 09:11 PM
We got a 2nd and a 3rd for Wentz. If we get Baker for anything less than that, I’m fine with it.

Welcome back, Swing. Missed your posts lately.

Dewey 5
03-18-2022, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't mess with Baker. Hero ball like Wentz & not all that accurate. We got burned once with another team's garbage we don't need to go down that road again.

apballin
03-18-2022, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't mess with Baker. Hero ball like Wentz & not all that accurate. We got burned once with another team's garbage we don't need to go down that road again.

I don’t agree with that, he doesn’t play hero ball at all he usually gets it out quick but last season between the injury and OBJ it was a disaster for him I still believe he’s capable of being a good QB and as far as fiery leader he’s definitely the opposite of ah shucks Carson

Discflinger
03-18-2022, 09:34 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahah!

Puck
03-18-2022, 09:38 PM
I don’t agree with that, he doesn’t play hero ball at all he usually gets it out quick but last season between the injury and OBJ it was a disaster for him I still believe he’s capable of being a good QB and as far as fiery leader he’s definitely the opposite of ah shucks Carson

He holds the ball as long as Wentz does.

He scrambles a lot.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Oldcolt
03-18-2022, 10:11 PM
Maybe having a team dump him will set Baker on the right path. Didn't work for Wentz, but maybe it will for Baker.

He sounds like the kind of guy that would be pissed off

apballin
03-18-2022, 11:26 PM
He holds the ball as long as Wentz does.

He scrambles a lot.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Look at his release times before OBJ, once he got there Bakers game totally changed

He was trying to force it to him all the time

Pre OBJ I watched a guy throw laser shots, get the ball out quick he’ll I can recall a game he hit 20 in a row before OBJ

Discflinger
03-18-2022, 11:42 PM
Hahahahahahaha!

Brylok
03-19-2022, 12:06 AM
Nobody is going to be universally happy no matter who they get at QB. Just go get someone in here and get this thing moving. Maybe a good WR will come in if they actually know who will be throwing them the ball.

Discflinger
03-19-2022, 04:07 AM
Apparently Cleveland sent 3 firsts as well as a third and a fourth.

We are getting Baker.

CletusPyle
03-19-2022, 08:07 AM
Does Baker have any clauses in his contract that takes his trade choice into consideration?

rm1369
03-19-2022, 08:30 AM
Does Baker have any clauses in his contract that takes his trade choice into consideration?

My understanding is no. He does not have a no trade clause like Watson had. Cleveland is in control.

Hoopsdoc
03-19-2022, 08:38 AM

He’s still on his rookie contract so no.

The Browns said last week they’d work with him on facilitating a trade but who knows if they were serious.

Discflinger
03-19-2022, 09:10 AM
Probably a third.

I hope

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 09:41 AM
He sounds like the kind of guy that would be pissed off

Agreed. The question is whether he's the type who will throw a tanrum and/or pout about it like Wentz, or this will motivate him to work on fixing things?

Colts And Orioles
03-19-2022, 10:02 AM
o

In case we have to get used to seeing this ......

https://dailysnark.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Thumb-26-1024x537.jpg

o

apballin
03-19-2022, 12:35 PM
How good would a Colts- browns playoff matchup be if he comes here

Colts And Orioles
03-19-2022, 01:39 PM
How good would a Colts-Browns playoff match-up be if he comes here ???

o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6gVz11NDXg

o

Dewey 5
03-19-2022, 01:47 PM
Apparently Cleveland sent 3 firsts as well as a third and a fourth.

We are getting Baker.

Probably Seattle. Browns don't want him in the AFC.

Oldcolt
03-19-2022, 02:00 PM
Probably Seattle. Browns don't want him in the AFC.

Really? Why? You think they think he is a QB that they don't want to face? Any yet they gave up three firsts and 230 million dollars to a guy on the rapy scale just to get rid of him. Me thinks they don't give a shit where he ends up or if they have to play against him. Not saying we will end up with the guy, but if we want him he will be playing for us next year.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 02:27 PM
Really? Why? You think they think he is a QB that they don't want to face? Any yet they gave up three firsts and 230 million dollars to a guy on the rapy scale just to get rid of him. Me thinks they don't give a shit where he ends up or if they have to play against him. Not saying we will end up with the guy, but if we want him he will be playing for us next year.

Seattle does have a lot more draft capital than we do currently, so if they want Mayfield then they'll be able to easily outbid us. Other than that I don't see why Cleveland would want to ship him there instead of to the Colts.

JAFF
03-19-2022, 02:32 PM
Seattle does have a lot more draft capital than we do currently, so if they want Mayfield then they'll be able to easily outbid us. Other than that I don't see why Cleveland would want to ship him there instead of to the Colts.

Not in the AFC?

Lov2fish
03-19-2022, 02:50 PM
Not in the AFC?

If they truly think he needs to go and their new rapist is the "Man" they shouldn't be afraid to ship him anywhere.

JAFF
03-19-2022, 03:00 PM
If they truly think he needs to go and their new rapist is the "Man" they shouldn't be afraid to ship him anywhere.

I wouldnt make it habit of thinking any sports teams are good at making common sense decisions

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 03:04 PM
I wouldnt make it habit of thinking any sports teams are good at making common sense decisions

Fair enough, especially the Browns :D

Oldcolt
03-19-2022, 03:16 PM
Since I don't see any of the available QBs being capable of elevating this team to a Super Bowl I would prefer we just sign Mariota and not give any draft capital up.

The only player I would be ok in giving up draft capital would be Ryan. Not so much because I think he would take us to the Super Bowl, but because he is as good if not better than anything left we could get and most importantly would be an incredible person for a young QB to learn from. He has got two years remaining. If traded his cap hit isn't that bad 23 million this year and 28 million next year. Giving up a second day (no higher than a third if that) for a two year starter who can help mold the next QB seems reasonable to me.

JAFF
03-19-2022, 03:28 PM
Since I don't see any of the available QBs being capable of elevating this team to a Super Bowl I would prefer we just sign Mariota and not give any draft capital up.

He is looking better, I cant believe I just typed that

Oldcolt
03-19-2022, 03:29 PM
He is looking better, I cant believe I just typed that

I feel your pain brother

JAFF
03-19-2022, 03:29 PM
I feel your pain brother

Hope to god you were wearing a glove

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 04:00 PM
I think if Mariotta was who Ballard wanted to sign then he would have been signed already. The market should be set for him w/ the Trubisky signing. Could be wrong though.

Lov2fish
03-19-2022, 05:09 PM

Fair enough, it is the Browns. They are the epitome of dysfunction

Lov2fish
03-19-2022, 05:21 PM
Browns traded Keenum and signed Brisset so I suspect Mayfield will be gone by Monday. No way they carry Watson, Mayfield and Jacoby.

JAFF
03-19-2022, 05:48 PM
Browns traded Keenum and signed Brisset so I suspect Mayfield will be gone by Monday. No way they carry Watson, Mayfield and Jacoby.

Could they just cut mayfield?

apballin
03-19-2022, 06:00 PM

I think Ballard is playing hardball knowing they’re fucked

Lov2fish
03-19-2022, 06:02 PM

I think he would still be a dead cap hit against them, but I guess if they can't get a trade its possible. Again, it is the Browns and anything is possible. lol

Oldcolt
03-19-2022, 06:12 PM
Like IndyNorm said, if we wanted one of the free agents it would already have been done. This smells like a trade. Please don't let it be Mayfield.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 06:20 PM
I think he would still be a dead cap hit against them, but I guess if they can't get a trade its possible. Again, it is the Browns and anything is possible. lol

He's ~$19M dead money if they just cut him, so I'm guessing they will hold on to him as long as they can for a trade.

rcubed
03-19-2022, 06:22 PM
Per zak keefer

“Mayfield wanting the Colts is just one side of the equation, remember.
More important: Do the Colts want Mayfield?
To date, I haven’t heard anything to suggest they do. It doesn’t mean a deal won’t happen — the Colts’ options are limited, remember — but I see it as unlikely, based on conversations Friday. Over the last few months, the Colts were determined to move on from Wentz, convinced that he wasn’t the right fit as franchise quarterback. It’s hard to see them believing Mayfield would be — even as a stopgap — while they continue to look for their quarterback of the future in the draft.”

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 06:42 PM
Per zak keefer

To date, I haven’t heard anything to suggest they do. It doesn’t mean a deal won’t happen — the Colts’ options are limited, remember — but I see it as unlikely, based on conversations Friday. Over the last few months, the Colts were determined to move on from Wentz, convinced that he wasn’t the right fit as franchise quarterback. It’s hard to see them believing Mayfield would be — even as a stopgap — while they continue to look for their quarterback of the future in the draft.”

Yeah, I could see that. Like I've said before if we can get him for less than what we got in return for Wentz then it's worth the risk IMO. The more I think about it the more I don't want us to have a throw away year this year. Especially if it's so we can draft Stroud, since being an OSU guy he'll either suck or get hurt non-stop if we draft him.

Hoopsdoc
03-19-2022, 06:53 PM
Per zak keefer

See, now this makes more sense. If the Colts don’t really want him, then they’re not offering much at all for him. Kind of like the Eason situation. They gave him a fourth round grade and he was still there in the 4th, so they drafted him.

I’m guessing Ballard made the best offer he was comfortable making, which isn’t much, and the Browns are holding out for more. Which they’ll probably end up getting.

This seems like the most logical explanation for what’s going on.

Chromeburn
03-19-2022, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I could see that. Like I've said before if we can get him for less than what we got in return for Wentz then it's worth the risk IMO. The more I think about it the more I don't want us to have a throw away year this year. Especially if it's so we can draft Stroud, since being an OSU guy he'll either suck or get hurt non-stop if we draft him.

There are more guys than just Stroud. Also seems every year a Qb emerges from the pack like Burrow.

CletusPyle
03-19-2022, 10:53 PM
There are more guys than just Stroud. Also seems every year a Qb emerges from the pack like Burrow.

O'Connel from Purdue will likely go late in the first round of 2023...kid can play!

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 01:07 PM
Maybe it's b/c we're staring down the barrel of a throw away season, but the more I think about it the more I'd like to see us take a chance on Baker as long as the price is right draft pick wise (as mentioned less than what we got for Wentz). Here are some thoughts on his shortcomings:

His inconsistency: A lot of his inconsistency the first 2 years could be chalked up to incompetent coaching staffs. While Gregg Williams seemed to right the ship a bit as the interim after Jackson was fired, Jackson and Kitchens were obviously in way over their heads. How do you think things would have gone if we had canned Clappy halfway through '17 and then brought in Chud as the HC in '18? When the Browns hired a competent coaching staff Mayfield had a really good year in '20. Then in '21 he was playing injured from week 2 on. Also, every QB who has played under Reich has improved, so we have that going for us too.

Drama: For starters it's the Browns, really don't need to say more but I will. Obviously he could have handled things much better, but I'm guessing a lot of the drama was OBJ's fault. OBJ has shown what a giant douche he can be in NYG, and I could definitely see him deciding he wanted out of Cleveland and stirred up all kinds of shit to make that happen sooner rather than later. Again, just guessing on my part, but it's totally plausible.

Contract: Could be wrong, but the fact that Baker specifically wants to come here should give us leverage when it comes to his contract. This should help in either convincing Baker to play out his contract and if he performs then get an extension or extending him to a more team friend incentive driven deal. For the former Ballard has shown that for the most part if you produce and are good in the locker room he'll pay to keep you, so it shouldn't be hard to convince Baker of that. And the Browns are stupid, so maybe Ballard convinces them to eat a portion of his '22 salary to save on his cap hit.

Anyway, just my .02.

JAFF
03-20-2022, 03:35 PM
O'Connel from Purdue will likely go late in the first round of 2023...kid can play!

No he wont. Hes tough, but doesnt have the arm talent for the first round

CletusPyle
03-20-2022, 04:29 PM
No he wont. Hes tough, but doesnt have the arm talent for the first round

We shall see......:D

JAFF
03-20-2022, 04:32 PM
We shall see......:D

Hey, I live 40 miles from PU and hes a player. He reminds me of Jim Harbaugh. I like him, I would draft him, but not in the first round

Puck
03-20-2022, 11:30 PM
Made it through Sunday No Baker Im good to date

Dewey 5
03-21-2022, 11:43 AM
Made it through Sunday No Baker Im good to date

I don’t think the Colts are even interested in Baker. You’re safe.

Oldcolt
03-21-2022, 11:49 AM
I don’t think the Colts are even interested in Baker. You’re safe.

I have no idea who the Colts are interested in. They are incredibly silent. I like that. Sign of a well run team. Wish we would start to win like one.

Dewey 5
03-21-2022, 01:34 PM
I think Ballard is playing hardball knowing they’re fucked

Ballard was never interested in Mayfield.

Puck
03-21-2022, 01:50 PM
Thank GOD!!!!

CletusPyle
03-21-2022, 02:11 PM
Thank GOD!!!!

You jinxed it......:D

omahacolt
03-21-2022, 03:02 PM
Thank GOD!!!!

glad you can still be a fan this year