PDA

View Full Version : 2022 NFL Free Agency

Pages : [1] 2

Ironshaft
03-13-2022, 10:40 PM
Is it just me or should the Colts not be re-signing those of their free agents that they want to retain?

The "soft" free agency period starts at noon tomorrow and we have not re-signed a single of our pending free agents.

Do we really not want to retain any of our guys?

Racehorse
03-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Is it just me or should the Colts not be re-signing those of their free agents that they want to retain?

The "soft" free agency period starts at noon tomorrow and we have not re-signed a single of our pending free agents.

Do we really not want to retain any of our guys?

I think we do, but could it be that Ballard wants to get the QB first? Or he is targeting other players at the same position?

I do know that we need to sign about 20 players just to fill out the roster, so we will be signing a few back.

smitty46953
03-14-2022, 10:26 AM
Will it be typical Ballard fashion and get the leftovers on Day 3 or jump right in? :eek:

Chaka
03-14-2022, 10:53 AM
Za'Darius Smith is being released by the Packers. He put up 26 sacks in his first two years with Green Bay before missing nearly all of last year with an injury.

njcoltfan
03-14-2022, 03:10 PM
Will it be typical Ballard fashion and get the leftovers on Day 3 or jump right in? :eek:

Looks like he is waiting for the leftovers ..........again !!

Oldcolt
03-14-2022, 03:44 PM
I've been a big supporter of Ballard. It is waning. At some point your team needs to start winning. In his 5 year tenure we have had one post season win-in 2018. WTF did Irsay mean by 'all in'? It is early but I expect the Colts to spend some of that cap money on someone other than day 3 signings. This losing is getting old.

Hoopsdoc
03-14-2022, 03:50 PM
I've been a big supporter of Ballard. It is waning. At some point your team needs to start winning. In his 5 year tenure we have had one post season win-in 2018. WTF did Irsay mean by 'all in'? It is early but I expect the Colts to spend some of that cap money on someone other than day 3 signings. This losing is getting old.

I tend to agree but fixing the qb position is the only really important job Ballard has, imo. That’s all that really matters.

Oldcolt
03-14-2022, 03:51 PM
Haasan Reddick signed with Eagles-3 years 45 million

Brylok
03-14-2022, 04:26 PM
Haasan Reddick signed with Eagles-3 years 45 million

That's a good contract. I imagine he took a hometown discount since he went to Temple.
Quinton Nelson will soon be making more money than Haasan Reddick! Lol!

rcubed
03-14-2022, 05:30 PM
I completely agree with your post.

to me, irsay's comment about 'all chips in' just meant full commitment to the team. this was a direct dig at wentz who irsay felt wasnt committed to doing what it takes to win. not necessarily a comment to ballard to go balls out with signings. I think it was a bad phrase to use and has been misconstrued. he was talking about commitment vs. extreme risk.

rcubed
03-14-2022, 06:11 PM
Engram is slated to sign a one-year deal with the Jaguars, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports

IndyNorm
03-14-2022, 08:06 PM
I tend to agree but fixing the qb position is the only really important job Ballard has, imo. That’s all that really matters.

While QB is by far the top priority there are other high priorities that need to be addressed: LT, CB, WR (although no point here unless we get a QB), DE, S. If Ballard sits on $70M in cap space and doesn't adequately fill any of these then he needs to be shown the door.

njcoltfan
03-15-2022, 05:17 AM
While QB is by far the top priority there are other high priorities that need to be addressed: LT, CB, WR (although no point here unless we get a QB), DE, S. If Ballard sits on $70M in cap space and doesn't adequately fill any of these then he needs to be shown the door.

Maybe, players don't want to play for the Colt's !!

rm1369
03-15-2022, 08:04 AM

Players don’t want to play at a discount for the Colts. And why would they? 5 years in and I still don’t see an obvious path to contention.

There are essentially two paths to true contention- a star QB that can help overcome deficiencies or a complete team with a competent QB. Yes Luck screwed Ballard but since then he hasn’t chosen a path. They sure as hell haven’t sold out everything for a star QB. Whiich is fine - it’s a tough high risk gamble. But put a complete fucking team around the mediocre QB then. Ballard refuses to shore up weaknesses though, instead opting to fix everything in the draft. Until Ballard changes and commits to one of the two valid paths the team will stay stuck in purgatory- wasting the talent he has acquired. I wouldn’t sign up on a discount for that either.

Dewey 5
03-15-2022, 08:46 AM

Or maybe Ballard thinks the cap money goes with to his next job. We Irsay should have kept Tom Telesco

Oldcolt
03-15-2022, 01:36 PM
This lack of spending in free agency is getting ridiculous. Some guy (Field Yates) has pointed out that over the last 6 years the team that spent the most in free agency has increased its win total by at least 3 wins (goes from 3-7). Ballard is full of shit when he disses free agency, it is true you will 'overspend' but you also win more games. IF he is so stubborn that he refuses to spend on free agency this year because he won't 'overspend' on a player-even if it is the only way to fill a position of critical need-well to me he has a beautiful theory, but it is setting up the Colts for continued mediocrity as long as he is here and he needs to go.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2022/03/14/colts-free-agency-cap-space-history/

Dewey 5
03-15-2022, 01:59 PM
Ballard has worn out his welcome with me. I was pretty much done with him & Reich when we lost to the Raiders & Jagoffs. Time to start over again.

Chromeburn
03-15-2022, 02:11 PM
Engram is slated to sign a one-year deal with the Jaguars, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports

Hands of stone. Deep draft of TEs, probably get one there.

Problem with TEs now is they are either blockers or big receivers. Seems very few that can do both and Colts like guys who can do both. We have Granson who should improve as a receiver. I bet they would like a do it all guy. A couple in the draft.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-15-2022, 02:12 PM
Some guy (Field Yates) has pointed out that over the last 6 years the team that spent the most in free agency has increased its win total by at least 3 wins (goes from 3-7).

The bump in wins is only temporary, however.

Take a look at the win totals of those teams the following season:

2016: Giants +5, then -8 the next year
2017: Jaguars +7, then -5
2018: Bears +7, then -4
2019: Jets +3, then -5
2020: Dolphins +5, then -1 (with extra game from 17 game season)

ChaosTheory
03-15-2022, 02:54 PM
The bump is wins is only temporary, however.

Take a look at the win totals the following season:

2016: Giants +5, then -8 the next year
2017: Jaguars +7, then -5
2018: Bears +7, then -4
2019: Jets +3, then -5
2020: Dolphins +5, then -1 (with extra game from 17 game season)

Right.

Also, these teams were winning like 2-5 games the season before. So they're playing last-place schedules AND making high draft picks AND spending all their money.... And a lot of times they're getting to what? 6-7 wins? And then they're right back in the cellar again when they don't play the last place schedule

By the way, you can tell without going back and reading the archives here who was happy during the off-season when Grigson bought Gore, Johnson, Cole, etc.

rcubed
03-15-2022, 03:52 PM
I dont advocate for a spending spree, but I dont understand why he almost never jumps on one high impact player. Who is ballard's biggest/best FA signing? Houston? Rivers?

and btw, I dont count resigning your own FAs. I am talking adding to the team with a new player.

Racehorse
03-15-2022, 05:35 PM
Right.

Also, these teams were winning like 2-5 games the season before. So they're playing last-place schedules AND making high draft picks AND spending all their money.... And a lot of times they're getting to what? 6-7 wins? And then they're right back in the cellar again when they don't play the last place schedule

By the way, you can tell without going back and reading the archives here who was happy during the off-season when Grigson bought Gore, Johnson, Cole, etc.
You mean to tell me a journalist only gave the facts that he wanted you to see? Who’d a thunk?

IndyNorm
03-15-2022, 05:36 PM
I dont advocate for a spending spree, but I dont understand why he almost never jumps on one high impact player. Who is ballard's biggest/best FA signing? Houston? Rivers?

and btw, I dont count resigning your own FAs. I am talking adding to the team with a new player.

Well said. He spent some money on some mid-tier FAs in '17, but from '18 on has been super frugal. Rivers, Houston, Funches for 1 year $10M, Xavier Rhodes on his 1 year deal, and Fisher on his 1 year deal are pretty much it.

On top of not wanting to invest in FA he relies too much on his draft picks which haven't produced or stayed healthy somehow making big leaps or magically staying healthy (Banogu, Campbell, etc.).

Racehorse
03-15-2022, 05:45 PM
I understand all of the angst so far, but two very important dominoes have to fall before the real action begins. One is Watson being traded. The second is Jimmy G. Once those are done, the rest will move much quicker for us. If Watson goes to a team with a real starter, that player would be traded or released. Jimmy G has to be moved tomorrow, if I understand that right. This is why I am being patient right now.

IndyNorm
03-15-2022, 05:45 PM
We actually signed someone!

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/15/nfl-free-agency-indianapolis-colts-brandon-facyson-2022/

Probably just added depth at CB, but he's tall for a CB and has played for Bradley for 4 years.

rcubed
03-15-2022, 05:53 PM
The #Colts are re-signing LB Zaire Franklin on a three-year, $12 million contract with $4 million guaranteed, per source.

also we are getting comp picks 5 and 6th round

Lov2fish
03-15-2022, 07:36 PM
I understand all of the angst so far, but two very important dominoes have to fall before the real action begins. One is Watson being traded. The second is Jimmy G. Once those are done, the rest will move much quicker for us. If Watson goes to a team with a real starter, that player would be traded or released. Jimmy G has to be moved tomorrow, if I understand that right. This is why I am being patient right now.

Probably not gonna see Jimmy G here. I was reading on NBC sports that they are wanting a 2nd. rounder plus. Didn't elaborate on the plus, but said a second by itself is not getting the job done. Lynch says they have him budgeted in for the season and will just go that way. I think as training camp gets closer they loosen their demands for him, but hopefully we have our house in order by then.

rm1369
03-15-2022, 07:38 PM

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/15/nfl-free-agency-indianapolis-colts-brandon-facyson-2022/

Probably just added depth at CB, but he's tall for a CB and has played for Bradley for 4 years.

Ballard special - team friendly one year deal. Have to maintain long term flexibility.

Dewey 5
03-15-2022, 07:49 PM

Awesome job by dipshit Ballard. Boy, those special teams are going to be fantastic.

Racehorse
03-15-2022, 08:10 PM
Probably not gonna see Jimmy G here. I was reading on NBC sports that they are wanting a 2nd. rounder plus. Didn't elaborate on the plus, but said a second by itself is not getting the job done. Lynch says they have him budgeted in for the season and will just go that way. I think as training camp gets closer they loosen their demands for him, but hopefully we have our house in order by then.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t saying he would come here, just that those two dominoes have to fall first for a lot of teams, and then the real action will begin. There has been little action so far across the league, except for signing their own and a few others changing teams. No real studs that I have seen.

Kray007
03-15-2022, 08:24 PM
As far as QB is concerned, when you’re fishing for tu*ds in a toilet, you might as well let the other guys reel in the whoppers.

apballin
03-15-2022, 08:33 PM
I still prefer Jimmy because of experience

But honestly any QB coming in here is set up for success with Taylor and this o line

Hoopsdoc
03-15-2022, 09:23 PM
Ballard has worn out his welcome with me. I was pretty much done with him & Reich when we lost to the Raiders & Jagoffs. Time to start over again.

I think that’s a little bit much.

Having said that, I REALLY hope Ballards got more of a plan than wait around until SF lowers their asking price for Jimmy G.

Oldcolt
03-15-2022, 09:32 PM
Ballard special - team friendly one year deal. Have to maintain long term flexibility.

I actually like this signing. He seems like a decent corner. This is how Ballard builds a team. My issue with Ballard is different. I have agreed with him pretty much up to this point. But now is the time to spend on free agency. We don't have the resources to attack the number of holes this team has otherwise. If we don't plug a few holes with good players in these next few days it won't sit well with most of us.

rm1369
03-15-2022, 10:04 PM
I actually like this signing. He seems like a decent corner. This is how Ballard builds a team. My issue with Ballard is different. I have agreed with him pretty much up to this point. But now is the time to spend on free agency. We don't have the resources to attack the number of holes this team has otherwise. If we don't plug a few holes with good players in these next few days it won't sit well with most of us.

I don’t have an issue with this signing or really any of the other team friendly one years deals. The problem is that’s the extent of the signings. This is just how Ballard expects to use free agency and that limits the quality of the player you can expect to sign. As you said - it’s not enough to fill the holes.

apballin
03-17-2022, 06:00 PM
I’m hoping Watson doesn’t pick the Saints and we can get Armstead

I’d like to believe that’s what the Colts are waiting on

IMO landing Armstead is the most important play at this point

IndyNorm
03-17-2022, 08:29 PM
GB is trading Adams to McDickface for their 1st and 2nd rounders. Also, Allen Robinson to LAR :cool:.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1504601053790195714

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33528339/sources-los-angeles-rams-add-wr-allen-robinson-45m-deal-hope-re-sign-odell-beckham-jr

IndyNorm
03-17-2022, 08:33 PM
I’m hoping Watson doesn’t pick the Saints and we can get Armstead

I’d like to believe that’s what the Colts are waiting on

IMO landing Armstead is the most important play at this point

Hopefully you're right on Armstead, but most likely Ballard's actually waiting on all of the good FA to be signed so he can bargain shop for a player or 2 then hoard the rest of the ridiculous amount of cap space we have :mad:

Puck
03-17-2022, 11:18 PM
Many of you, I can tell, are not finance guys at all.

Can't just go to Walmart and shop for players

I have wanted to spend shit tons of money on things and then run it by Smitty and he says NO

I am not a finance guy. I want what I want. But there is a line you cannot cross. That's why you have those guys.

Those guys are not fun to talk to about spending, but mostly they are right.

It's like a diet. Don't eat more than you can burn

Ballard is not cheap. He has a Smitty

JAFF
03-18-2022, 09:26 AM

I have wanted to spend shit tons of money on things and then run it by Smitty and he says NO

I am not a finance guy. I want what I want. But there is a line you cannot cross. That's why you have those guys.

Excellent post.

smitty46953
03-18-2022, 03:16 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
#Colts S George Odum is signing with the #49ers for 3 years and $10.95 million, source said.

:cool:

We will miss him on ST :cool:

rm1369
03-18-2022, 03:20 PM

I’m sorry - I don’t buy it. Cheap may be the wrong word though. Every decision he makes maintains long term flexibility. He never makes a decision for now. The Colts can sign whoever the hell they want money wise, it just has an affect later that he’s not willing to pay. You can think that is smart, but I think it’s a mistake and limiting. The “Not For Long” league is about 2 year windows, not 4-5 year ones. Chaka and I argued about this in previous years. He said he’s working on building a dynasty. 5 years in and I’m confident in my conclusion he’s only building mediocrity. He’s going to waste the good shit he has done planning for 4 years down the road.

Brylok
03-18-2022, 04:22 PM
Just checking to make sure we didn't sign anybody. And, we haven't. Have a good weekend y'all!

Brylok
03-18-2022, 04:27 PM
DeShawn Watson is going to Cleveland for a haul and a ton of cash. Three 1sts and $230M guaranteed among other things.

smitty46953
03-18-2022, 04:28 PM
5 new business licenses issued for massage parlors in Cleveland in last hour.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

smitty46953
03-18-2022, 04:39 PM
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad Inks with Bears

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-18-2022, 05:46 PM
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad Inks with Bears

The Bears signed him to a two year, $10MM contract per Schefter.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1504904448891666434

Former Colts’ DE Al-Quadin Muhammad reached agreement on a two-year, $10 million deal, per source. Muhammad will reunite in Chicago with Bears’ HC Matt Eberflus.

IndyNorm
03-18-2022, 05:48 PM

No one is saying they want Ballard to go on some crazy spending spree that puts the Colts into salary cap hell going fwd. What we're saying is that Ballard needs to step out of his comfort zone and put some of this ridiculous amount of cap space to good use by filling some of the gaping holes this team has (which is his fault BTW).

Despite having the most cap space in the league going into to FA we're no better off than when it started:

At the start of FA we had the following needs: QB, LT, DE, WR2, WR3, CB2, TE2, DL depth, CB depth, S depth.

Now a week into it we have the following needs: QB, LT, WR2, WR3, CB1, CB2, TE2, DL depth, S depth, CB depth.

Hopefully now that Watson has decided where he's going things will start moving for us, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

IndyNorm
03-18-2022, 05:49 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
#Colts S George Odum is signing with the #49ers for 3 years and $10.95 million, source said.

:cool:

We will miss him on ST :cool:

Bummer. We'll definitely miss him. Great ST player and a good backup at safety.

IndyNorm
03-18-2022, 05:50 PM
Excellent post.

Nice flip flop there Jaff.

ChoppedWood
03-18-2022, 05:50 PM
Ballard is trash, period, trash. Dude is stingy and he isn't any good at finding talent that doesn't fly around in the sky with a banner behind it saying "Hey, just so you know, I am really really good".

Have come to despise him.

Dewey 5
03-18-2022, 06:06 PM
Ballard is trash, period, trash. Dude is stingy and he isn't any good at finding talent that doesn't fly around in the sky with a banner behind it saying "Hey, just so you know, I am really really good".

I'm not sure he understands how the NFL works in today's world. It's an entirely different ballgame now.

ChaosTheory
03-18-2022, 06:52 PM
What moves do you want him to make that he hasn't yet or that other teams have made? Make a specific case and quit talking in generalities. Don't say we have holes here and here and here and we have this many dollars. Who do you want to fill those holes with?

albany ed
03-18-2022, 07:12 PM
I just read that the Browns are getting Watson.

IndyNorm
03-18-2022, 08:46 PM
What moves do you want him to make that he hasn't yet or that other teams have made? Make a specific case and quit talking in generalities. Don't say we have holes here and here and here and we have this many dollars. Who do you want to fill those holes with?

Assuming you're replying to me. Here's some some deals I would have liked the Colts to have made:

Mitch Trubisky - 2 yrs/$14M (possible $27M w/ incentives), $5M guaranteed
Allen Robinson - 3 yr/$45M, $30M guaranteed
Haason Reddick - 3 yr/$45M, $30M guaranteed
Emmanuel Ogbah - 4 yr/$65M, $32M guaranteed (although he re-signed with the Dolphins, so might not have been possible)
OJ Howard - 1 yr/$3.5M, $3.1M guaranteed (very Ballardesque signing)

We could have signed Trubisky, Robinson, Reddick, and Howard and still had plenty of cap space remaining even if we had to outbid for Robinson and Reddick. Reddick would have also allowed to us to hang onto Rock.

FAs available I'd like us to take a run at:

Terron Armstead - He'll be expensive, but we'd have the best OL in the league by far.

Duane Brown - Less expensive than Armstead, and should get us through a couple of years while a draft pick develops.

Fletcher Cox (depending on the price tag).

Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Lorenzo Carter (should be cheap)

Joe Haden (since we need CB now)

Obviously we can't sign all of the above, but I'd like to see a couple of the above end up with the Colts.

JAFF
03-18-2022, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure he understands how the NFL works in today's world. It's an entirely different ballgame now.

Yeah, hes been working in some form of football for 28 years. In the NFL for 21 years. How could he possibly know what WE know?

Yeah, Dewey you should apply for a job with the Colts, I’ll give you a recomendation

Puck
03-18-2022, 09:00 PM
We have the most Cap money because we don't have a QB and a LT

Those 2 reasons are why we have the most cap money. My guess is we will spend most of the cap space we have once the QB is decided on.

I am guessing some of you want him to just sign a QB. But I am glad he is taking his time to try and get the best player at the best price.

He has already signed a DE to play the LEO position and I saw an article on FB that he had a DT from San Diego agreeing to come here but at the last minute Flus talked him into going to Chicago after the guy they signed failed the physical.

Some of you act like Ballard never does anything in FA. He does. He just doesn't waste money.

Spending BIG in FA is a losing combination more often that not. Especially if you don't have a great QB.

My guess is now that Watson is signed we will move quicker on the QB. Once that is determined then the LT will be next. I think we may get one FA WR but would prefer a FA TE. Get both I'd be happy.

Most of the rest will come in the draft.

BTW. I expect more moves on the D side of the ball than the offense.

Discflinger
03-18-2022, 09:40 PM
After the qb situation is taken care of all the money will be spent. Don’t worry.

Thorgrim
03-18-2022, 10:10 PM

I struggle to understand the minutiae of managing the salary cap long term. My measure of success is the eye test of roster talent. Has Ballard collected more talent on this years roster compared to last? And perhaps more importantly, is it enough to be a legitimate threat come January? To be fair, I don’t expect answers to those questions just yet but I have a disquieting feeling about how things are shaping up.

CletusPyle
03-18-2022, 10:23 PM

:D

CletusPyle
03-18-2022, 10:27 PM
Sometimes I wonder if one of the required personality traits of an NFL GM, is you have to be asshole? Or is that just for the Colts?

ChaosTheory
03-19-2022, 12:12 AM
Assuming you're replying to me. Here's some some deals I would have liked the Colts to have made:

Mitch Trubisky - 2 yrs/$14M (possible $27M w/ incentives), $5M guaranteed
Allen Robinson - 3 yr/$45M, $30M guaranteed
Haason Reddick - 3 yr/$45M, $30M guaranteed
Emmanuel Ogbah - 4 yr/$65M, $32M guaranteed (although he re-signed with the Dolphins, so might not have been possible)
OJ Howard - 1 yr/$3.5M, $3.1M guaranteed (very Ballardesque signing)

We could have signed Trubisky, Robinson, Reddick, and Howard and still had plenty of cap space remaining even if we had to outbid for Robinson and Reddick. Reddick would have also allowed to us to hang onto Rock.

First off, who's to say he didn't try to get some of those guys? Hopefully he didn't even consider Trubisky and Howard is whatever to me. Robinson was offered more money than that to play for the Super Bowl champs and move to Los Angeles as opposed to Indianapolis. Haason Reddick signed for exactly that much to go play in Philadelphia where he played at Temple. So are we knocking Ballard because he didn't offer them $48m? $50m?

Without Ngakoue, we were at something like $50m. Those four would cost something like $40m of that. Not saying he'll go after him or win the bid, but a Terron Armstead doesn't fit into that equation. Of course, the Colts simply might not grade those players as high as others.

And I know it's the naughty word for fans... but he has to consider the future. I want him to re-sign Quenton Nelson and Jonathan Taylor. If guys like Julian Blackmon and Khari Willis earn paydays, that's something to consider. Even moreso if guys like Kwity, Dayo, or Pittman become studs at those positions.

Discflinger
03-19-2022, 04:24 AM
Your numbers are off but I don’t care enough to say what is. It’s less than we would like. We are getting Baker. We’ll see then.

rm1369
03-19-2022, 08:27 AM
First off, who's to say he didn't try to get some of those guys? Hopefully he didn't even consider Trubisky and Howard is whatever to me. Robinson was offered more money than that to play for the Super Bowl champs and move to Los Angeles as opposed to Indianapolis. Haason Reddick signed for exactly that much to go play in Philadelphia where he played at Temple. So are we knocking Ballard because he didn't offer them $48m? $50m?

Without Ngakoue, we were at something like $50m. Those four would cost something like $40m of that. Not saying he'll go after him or win the bid, but a Terron Armstead doesn't fit into that equation. Of course, the Colts simply might not grade those players as high as others.

And I know it's the naughty word for fans... but he has to consider the future. I want him to re-sign Quenton Nelson and Jonathan Taylor. If guys like Julian Blackmon and Khari Willis earn paydays, that's something to consider. Even moreso if guys like Kwity, Dayo, or Pittman become studs at those positions.

Can you do last year next? Then the year before that? The year before that? It’s the same every off season - Colts are among the leaders in cap space yet are in such a unique situation that they can’t actually use it like other teams do. Or maybe they just have a risk adverse GM who only wants to bargain shop. Without a doubt Ballard is looking at extensions for Nelson and Taylor and saying the team has to maintain cap flexibility. Hell, he’s already thinking the same for Paye and Dayo. They likely won’t ever have salary cap problems. They will also never peak and win a SB. The Colts are operating in a way that puts them at a competitive disadvantage. Maybe after 3-4 more years of the same some of you will start to see. Hopefully they at least win a playoff game in that time. We can be certain they’ll maintain a salary cap situation that would make any accountant proud though.

ChoppedWood
03-19-2022, 08:53 AM
Can you do last year next? Then the year before that? The year before that? It’s the same every off season - Colts are among the leaders in cap space yet are in such a unique situation that they can’t actually use it like other teams do. Or maybe they just have a risk adverse GM who only wants to bargain shop. Without a doubt Ballard is looking at extensions for Nelson and Taylor and saying the team has to maintain cap flexibility. Hell, he’s already thinking the same for Paye and Dayo. They likely won’t ever have salary cap problems. They will also never peak and win a SB. The Colts are operating in a way that puts them at a competitive disadvantage. Maybe after 3-4 more years of the same some of you will start to see. Hopefully they at least win a playoff game in that time. We can be certain they’ll maintain a salary cap situation that would make any accountant proud though.

I can't understand how / why he isn't graded on what he is tasked with, building a team that wins in the playoffs. From my vantage point, I really don't care if the Colts are a 2 win or 8/9 win team on the fringe of the playoffs- to me those are effectively the same team. Yeah one is a little more "fun" to watch but they are functionally equivalent.

His primary job is to field a team that is playoff caliber every single year and a legitimate SB contender on a semi-frequent basis- he has had 5 years, he has failed miserably at that task. Anyone that looks at this team as it sits now and thinks it is a better version of what it was at this point last year, is a dumb ass. As we sit here on Saturday March 19th, this team is not just swiss cheese, it is ripe with mold. We sit here after a humiliating end to our season, being laughed at by the rest of the league for F'king things up so badly, knowing we HAVE to get better at several positions, and this stooge is still stuffing paper cash under his mattress while the rest of the f'king league is dealing in bitcoin. How anyone justifies this MF'rs refusal to address the WR position- basically SINCE he has been here, is beyond me. I was listening to someone yesterday while driving- some talking head on either Fox or ESPN talk radio and they were breaking us down. They made an astute point- all the rancor in Indy is about the QB, gotta get a QB, gotta find someone that can lead, but you could put prime Joe Montana on this team as it sits and he would look bad- because in their opinion our WR situation is THE WORST IN THE AFC----- THE WORST IN THE AFC!!! People thought he was just bluffing when a couple months ago he said he was really comfortable with the WR room so he didn't look desperate for the position in FA----- NO, given the names that have gone off the board, it looks like he really is comfortable. So is Michael Straham actually really good- if so, then Frank must absolutely f-king suck at his part of this! I'm not sure he even knows what a tight end is supposed to look like at this point, and he clearly is using some type of off-brand evaluation system for identifying DE's.

He has had 5 years to prove what he is about, this isn't year 2, year 3, this is 5 years of doing this same shit, and as of March 19, 2022, this team is not even close to being a contender.

Just pause and think about this- by the end of today we will like have either Mayfield, Ryan, or Jimmy G under center. Do this, take off your blue and white hat, jersey, glasses and think about being a general football fan and the Monday night game on November 19th is The Colts vs the Baltimore Ravens. You know damn well as that general fan that loves to watch football the very first thing you think is "The Colts have Mayfield at QB, he isn't very good, I'll probably change that leaky faucet tonight vs spending my time watching that"---- and YOU know that's how we all do this.

We are NOT going to get where we all want to be with this dude running the personnel end of things, he is too rigid in his framework and his thinking 20 years forward is going to prevent us from ever "going for it" ala LAC this year.

Discflinger
03-19-2022, 09:02 AM
We are getting baker

And I tried putting this in caps

rm1369
03-19-2022, 09:28 AM
Chopped, I’m not quite as anti-Ballard as you are. I actually like a lot about him and haven’t gotten to the point I want him fired - yet. But my patience is wearing out.

I honestly don’t blame him for the QB situation, it’s the philosophy that I have issues with. If you believe you have to have a superstar QB to compete then do what is necessary to draft one - including trading some of the top level guys if necessary. Or, if you believe you can compete without a superstar then get your average QB and then sell out to support them. He’s done neither. He muddles along “building through the draft” waiting for cheap, low risk solutions to magically fall in his lap.

And guys on here take every decision in isolation and defend them. They can’t solve WR because they don’t know who is at QB. Ok, what about when you had Rivers or Wentz? They were comfortable not signing any DEs because they were counting on Turray. Ok, so if they thought they they had someone ready to break out at DE why did they spend their 1st and 2nd round picks on a position that they thought was solved? Especially with such a need at LT. A need that everyone knew was coming….. and is still a major issue. The constant twisting to defend shit is ridiculous.

Ballard is a really good talent evaluator, but he’s shitty at assembling teams.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 09:31 AM

I posted rounded contract numbers for the players I listed who have signed. You asked for deals that other teams have made that I would have liked to have seen Ballard made, and so I listed a few.

I'm not saying we should be pissed at Ballard for not specifically bringing in those guys (although if Trubisky works out in Pittsburgh we should definitely be pissed about that). What we should be pissed off at Ballard for is that it's his job to improve the team and recently he's failed at that. We were worse in '21 than in '20, and while there's still plenty of time this offseason to turn things around Ballard is off to a disaster of a start.

Also, saying we need to hold back all kinds of cap space to potentially re-sign draft picks 3 and 4 years from now in case they work out is ridiculous. For starters, unless something crazy like COVID happens, the cap increases every year. Also, there are plenty of ways to manage the cap long term to be able to re-sign your own other than hoarding cap space like Ballard does. Most every other (at least successful) franchise is able to bring in some top tier FAs to fill needs while re-signing their own. So why the hell can't we?

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 09:32 AM

Well said! Couldn't agree more!!

rm1369
03-19-2022, 09:37 AM
I posted rounded contract numbers for the players I listed who have signed. You asked for deals that other teams have made that I would have liked to have seen Ballard made, and so I listed a few.

Unfortunately it’s the way the game is played. It’s why I no longer respond to them. They want specific players so they can justify each decision in isolation and not have to account for the overall pattern.

ChoppedWood
03-19-2022, 09:43 AM

I'm not saying we should be pissed at Ballard for not specifically bringing in those guys (although if Trubisky works out in Pittsburgh we should definitely be pissed about that). What we should be pissed off at Ballard for is that it's his job to improve the team and recently he's failed at that. We were worse in '21 than in '20, and while there's still plenty of time this offseason to turn things around Ballard is off to a disaster of a start.

Also, saying we need to hold back all kinds of cap space to potentially re-sign draft picks 3 and 4 years from now in case they work out is ridiculous. For starters, unless something crazy like COVID happens, the cap increases every year. Also, there are plenty of ways to manage the cap long term to be able to re-sign your own other than hoarding cap space like Ballard does. Most every other (at least successful) franchise is able to bring in some top tier FAs to fill needs while re-signing their own. So why the hell can't we?

Bravo, bravo. Apparently something restricts Ballard from doing the same that these other teams do. So far as I can surmise that something, is Ballard.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately it’s the way the game is played. It’s why I no longer respond to them. They want specific players so they can justify each decision in isolation and not have to account for the overall pattern.

Yeah, figured that was coming but I took the bait anyway.

I am so tired of reading that Ballard can't go improve the team b/c he has to re-sign Nelson. News flash: Nelson currently counts ~$14M against the cap, which is the 2nd highest cap hit for OGs in '22. The highest is Joe Thuney in KC at ~$18M. So if we extend Nelson and pay him in the $19-$20M/year range that's only $5-$6M more than his current hit, which leaves plenty of cap space for Ballard to get off his ass and make the team better.

ChaosTheory
03-19-2022, 10:09 AM

It's typically to point out that guy-on-the-street doesn't have a grasp of the details and nuances of the decisions being made.

"Team X paid player Y a contract of Z. Well the Colts had that much room and should've spent it. Simple. I don't care if the guy wants to come here or not. Make him sign. I don't want a spending spree, but he needs to spend all the money because that's how you win in this league."

Once quarterback gets settled (hard to do), a huge chunk of that cap is gone. Then when a blue-chipper like Buckner becomes a possibility, they can go after that guy. Not upgrade a position from C+ to B- because fans saw this other team give a wide receiver $150m and it makes them antsy.

ChaosTheory
03-19-2022, 10:15 AM
Yeah, figured that was coming but I took the bait anyway.

I am so tired of reading that Ballard can't go improve the team b/c he has to re-sign Nelson. News flash: Nelson currently counts ~$14M against the cap, which is the 2nd highest cap hit for OGs in '22. The highest is Joe Thuney in KC at ~$18M. So if we extend Nelson and pay him in the $19-$20M/year range that's only $5-$6M more than his current hit, which leaves plenty of cap space for Ballard to get off his ass and make the team better.

Sure. But add up Nelson, Taylor, Pittman, Blackmon, Kwity, Dayo, Willis, etc... Assuming these guys earn their paydays, that's a lot of money for guys we want to keep.

rm1369
03-19-2022, 10:22 AM
It's typically to point out that guy-on-the-street doesn't have a grasp of the details and nuances of the decisions being made.

"Team X paid player Y a contract of Z. Well the Colts had that much room and should've spent it. Simple. I don't care if the guy wants to come here or not. Make him sign. I don't want a spending spree, but he needs to spend all the money because that's how you win in this league."

Once quarterback gets settled (hard to do), a huge chunk of that cap is gone. Then when a blue-chipper like Buckner becomes a possibility, they can go after that guy. Not upgrade a position from C+ to B- because fans saw this other team give a wide receiver $150m and it makes them antsy.

If Ballard has set such a culture that no one (again this isn’t any single transaction) wants to come here then that’s a pretty damn big indictment of his team building wouldn’t you think?

Hey man, if you are happy with the state of the team after 5 years that’s great. I’m not. You can tell me year in and year out how Ballard’s methods are superior, but come playoff time the truth seems to always come out.

rm1369
03-19-2022, 10:28 AM
Sure. But add up Nelson, Taylor, Pittman, Blackmon, Kwity, Dayo, Willis, etc... Assuming these guys earn their paydays, that's a lot of money for guys we want to keep.

How the fuck does any team every sign anyone in FA then? Doesn’t every team assume their draft picks are going to work out?

I guess if you think Ballard is such a great drafter that this team can win always worrying about 4-5 years down the road instead of maximizing shorter term windows then we simply disagree. Right now the record supports me.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 10:28 AM

Kwity and Dayo will hit FA 4 and 3 years down the road, respectively, so holding back spending now just in case they pan out and need to be re-signed is fucking stupid.

And again, every other decent franchise in the league is able to re-sign their own while bringing in FAs that aren't in the bargain bin. What can't Ballard do the same?

Look, I wish that Ballard's methodology of filling all the team's needs through the draft and bargain FAs worked, but it obviously hasn't.

rm1369
03-19-2022, 10:37 AM
I just want to point out one other thing. Losing some players to free agency isn’t a bad thing. It’s actually the sign of a good team. It comes with the benefit of comp picks. And the one thing most of us agree on is that Ballard can draft, so the extra picks would be great.

The key is keeping the right guys, not all of them. I like Willis, but he’s a replacement level player. Letting him walk wouldn’t be devastating by any means. And if we want to be truly honest, Taylor will probably not be a smart resigning- and he’s one of my favorite players. It’s the nature of the position.

JAFF
03-19-2022, 12:22 PM

Stop that, using facts.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 12:51 PM
I just want to point out one other thing. Losing some players to free agency isn’t a bad thing. It’s actually the sign of a good team. It comes with the benefit of comp picks. And the one thing most of us agree on is that Ballard can draft, so the extra picks would be great.

The key is keeping the right guys, not all of them. I like Willis, but he’s a replacement level player. Letting him walk wouldn’t be devastating by any means. And if we want to be truly honest, Taylor will probably not be a smart resigning- and he’s one of my favorite players. It’s the nature of the position.

Great post. Willis is a decent player, but not great. He probably deserves a Hines/MAC level pay day. If Ballard ignores all of these gaping holes the team has and ends up signing Willis to top level FA money then he needs to be shown the door.

JT's going to be a tough decision. He has without a doubt earned a big payday, but you don't want it to be a Zeke Elliott type situation where his legs are shot 2 years into said big payday and we still owe him a ton of guaranteed dollars. Either way that's at least a year away, if not 2. An NFL FO worth it's salt would be able to figure out how to take care of this without hoarding 10s of millions of dollars in cap space in the current offseason.

ChaosTheory
03-19-2022, 12:55 PM
Too much from you two to quote each point, but I'll try to go in on some of this...

As far as Ballard not building culture here and that preventing guys from coming... That's not the only reason a player wouldn't come here. Like the Allen Robinson example. Hypothetically, if Ballard values him at $40m but is willing to overspend to $45m and the LAR come in a bid the price up to that $45m... then Robinson chooses to go to live in Los Angeles and play for the team that just won the Super Bowl. Is that an indictment on Ballard for the culture not being enough of a draw?

Beyond culture, just money... If you valued a guy at $12m/yr and some other team offers him $15m/yr, what would you do?

------------

The point of me bringing up re-signing our guys is not to say we shouldn't spend on free agents or that we will re-sign all of our guys. Rookie contracts go along with our QB situation to shows what a knife's edge this cap situation is...

Our league-leading salary cap room doesn't exist if WAS doesn't save us a shitload of money on Wentz. That alone drops us from "salary cap champs" to like bottom-10. Point being that our future (worth a shit) QB will eat up most of this cap that people are itching to spend. Now pay Nelson, Taylor, Kwity (pass-rusher money), etc. and it's not the same picture.

Darius Leonard's cap hit was $8m last year. It's about to be $11m, $20m, $20m, $23m, $20m. Buckner will be similar, Braden Smith will be up there, etc. Money is being spent.

------------

And who are these teams we're referring to? Which teams are doing it right in free agency?

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 12:59 PM
Stop that, using facts.

You're the one who's been saying for months now that it's all Monopoly money and teams work around cap issues all of the time, so who cares if Ballard spends too much of Irsay's money. Now you're ok with Ballard hoarding cap space like it goes straight to his bank account b/c we have a few guys we need to re-sign down the road.

If the only way Ballard is capable of re-signing his own draft picks is by hoarding 10s of millions of dollars in cap space every year, then he needs to bring in someone to help him with long term cap management or replace the people on his staff that are currently supposed to help with this. Everything other decent team in the league is able to sign FAs who aren't in the bargain bin and re-sign their own. Why is it so tough for Ballard to do so, especially when he has the most cap space in the league?

rcubed
03-19-2022, 01:33 PM
Kwity and Dayo will hit FA 4 and 3 years down the road.

This is one part that annoys me. I see alot of FAs sign 1-3 year contracts. Why is a future contact 4 years away affecting us signing someone for the next two years?

rm1369
03-19-2022, 01:39 PM
And who are these teams we're referring to? Which teams are doing it right in free agency?

Bengals, Ravens, and Bills off the top of my head are three teams that have apparently done the impossible - be competitive AND try to use free agency to improve. Guess none of them have any good players they need to pay. Apparently don’t plan to draft any either.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 02:07 PM
Bengals, Ravens, and Bills off the top of my head are three teams that have apparently done the impossible - be competitive AND try to use free agency to improve. Guess none of them have any good players they need to pay. Apparently don’t plan to draft any either.

Here's a couple more:

LAC - Look at how many FAs they've brought in. Don't they realize that Justin Herbert will be a FA in 3 years? No way they'll be able to re-sign him since they decided to spend cap spaced instead of hoard it this year.

LVR - Signed Chandler Jones, traded for Adams and signed him to a huge deal, and now they're trying to extend Carr? Better call up McDickface and tell him that's going to be impossible.

Shit, even the Jagoffs are bringing in FAs. Don't they know that Trevor Lawrence is going to demand a big contract in 4 years as long as he starts playing well against teams other than us? They're the Jagoffs, so it doesn't surprise me that they're screwing this up.

rm1369
03-19-2022, 02:10 PM
Here's a couple more:

LAC - Look at how many FAs they've brought in. Don't they realize that Justin Herbert will be a FA in 3 years? No way they'll be able to re-sign him since they decided to spend cap spaced instead of hoard it this year.

LVR - Signed Chandler Jones, traded for Adams and signed him to a huge deal, and now they're trying to extend Carr? Better call up McDickface and tell him that's going to be impossible.

Shit, even the Jagoffs are bringing in FAs. Don't they know that Trevor Lawrence is going to demand a big contract in 4 years as long as he starts playing well against teams other than us? They're the Jagoffs, so it doesn't surprise me that they're screwing this up.

It’s easy - they don’t plan on drafting anyone else good. Problem solved.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 02:23 PM
The point of me bringing up re-signing our guys is not to say we shouldn't spend on free agents or that we will re-sign all of our guys. Rookie contracts go along with our QB situation to shows what a knife's edge this cap situation is...

Our league-leading salary cap room doesn't exist if WAS doesn't save us a shitload of money on Wentz. That alone drops us from "salary cap champs" to like bottom-10. Point being that our future (worth a shit) QB will eat up most of this cap that people are itching to spend. Now pay Nelson, Taylor, Kwity (pass-rusher money), etc. and it's not the same picture.

Even if we hadn't been able to trade Wentz we would have been at ~$42M below the cap, which would have been more space than a lot of teams that are being pretty active in FA.

I'm curious too who you think we end up with at QB that will eat up all of our cap space. Since you're thinking they'll have a big cap hit I'm guessing you think it'll be Ryan, Jimmy G, or Mayfield? I would imagine Winston and Mariotta will probably get similar to what Trubisky did. Maybe Winston gets a little more, but not near enough to eat up all of our cap space.

Any QB we'd draft this year or next will be a FA at the earliest in '26, so any FAs picked up this year will probably be off the books before we'd have to pay said QB.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 02:25 PM
This is one part that annoys me. I see alot of FAs sign 1-3 year contracts. Why is a future contact 4 years away affecting us signing someone for the next two years?

Exactly. It's one thing to say that we need to save some cap space for MPJ and JT, but Kwity and Dayo shouldn't even be in the conversation.

JAFF
03-19-2022, 02:26 PM
You're the one who's been saying for months now that it's all Monopoly money and teams work around cap issues all of the time, so who cares if Ballard spends too much of Irsay's money. Now you're ok with Ballard hoarding cap space like it goes straight to his bank account b/c we have a few guys we need to re-sign down the road.

If the only way Ballard is capable of re-signing his own draft picks is by hoarding 10s of millions of dollars in cap space every year, then he needs to bring in someone to help him with long term cap management or replace the people on his staff that are currently supposed to help with this. Everything other decent team in the league is able to sign FAs who aren't in the bargain bin and re-sign their own. Why is it so tough for Ballard to do so, especially when he has the most cap space in the league?

Sign Mayfield and that great big cap space disappears. So before they can even talk to mayfield, they need to find if a deal is possible.

1. What do the Browns want to make a trade.
2. Will Baker renegotiate a reasonable contract now? If they dont get a restructure with years, incentives , ect. What would be the point.
3. Hoe many picks do the Colts give Up

Thats the short list. Gee whiz, why would you want Ballard to just throw a bucket of money and picks for a guy the Browns want to dump?

I’m for spending money on quality players. This isnt brady or Manning. He’s as big a risk as Wentz.

I can be patient as Ballard tries to make the best deal possible

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 02:41 PM
Sign Mayfield and that great big cap space disappears. So before they can even talk to mayfield, they need to find if a deal is possible.

1. What do the Browns want to make a trade.
2. Will Baker renegotiate a reasonable contract now? If they dont get a restructure with years, incentives , ect. What would be the point.
3. Hoe many picks do the Colts give Up

Thats the short list. Gee whiz, why would you want Ballard to just throw a bucket of money and picks for a guy the Browns want to dump?

I’m for spending money on quality players. This isnt brady or Manning. He’s as big a risk as Wentz.

I can be patient as Ballard tries to make the best deal possible

I think you're getting confused again Jaff. This is the thread where some of us are bitching that Ballard never brings in any quality FAs. The Baker Mayfield debate is on another thread.

You do make some good points though.

JAFF
03-19-2022, 02:58 PM
I think you're getting confused again Jaff. This is the thread where some of us are bitching that Ballard never brings in any quality FAs. The Baker Mayfield debate is on another thread.

You do make some good points though.

Thanks. Yeah, I’m on a tablet, Ido better on my computer keeping track of threads

ChaosTheory
03-19-2022, 04:52 PM
Color me shocked that the Raiders are active in free agency. They'll also probably draft a kid that runs a 4.2. They also just had their second 10-win season in the past 20 years (because there was an extra game). Ballard, don't model us after them. Tell me Carr wouldn't have a better W/L under Ballard/Reich than he's had with the Raiders the past few years.

I'm not crucifying Ballard for mediocrity when this league is so goddamn skewed towards the QB and he's had Brissett (backup), Luck (double-digit wins), Brissett (backup), Rivers (double-digit wins), and Wentz.

We saw the team that a free agent head GM put around Luck. I don't need to see LaRon Landry, Trent Richardson, Hakeem Nicks, Trent Cole, Todd Herremans, etc. get signed to feel like my GM knows what he's doing.

You guys are acting like A.) Ballard never goes out and gets players, and B.) All of the holes on this team need to be filled by free agents right now, and C.) Some of these guys who signed with other teams would've been signed by the Colts if you were GM.

Anyway, it feels silly arguing about this before it's even done. If you wake up Monday morning and Armstead and Ryan are Colts, all of this is moot.

IndyNorm
03-19-2022, 05:37 PM
Anyway, it feels silly arguing about this before it's even done. If you wake up Monday morning and Armstead and Ryan are Colts, all of this is moot.

We can't afford to sign Armstead and take on Ryan's contract. We only have ~$40M in cap space left and need to make sure there's enough left 5 years from now to re-sign Paye and Dayo in case they become good players along with anyone we draft this year that pans out.

ChaosTheory
03-19-2022, 09:38 PM
We can't afford to sign Armstead and take on Ryan's contract. We only have ~$40M in cap space left and need to make sure there's enough left 5 years from now to re-sign Paye and Dayo in case they become good players along with anyone we draft this year that pans out.

Damn, dude. Why strawman? I thought for a minute we were having an honest discussion and disagreeing. Knock yourself out if you want to go this route.

rcubed
03-20-2022, 12:48 AM
The Tennessee Titans have acquired Robert Woods in a trade with the Los Angeles Rams, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

The Rams will receive a 2023 sixth-round pick in exchange for the receiver, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

njcoltfan
03-20-2022, 06:12 AM
Color me shocked that the Raiders are active in free agency. They'll also probably draft a kid that runs a 4.2. They also just had their second 10-win season in the past 20 years (because there was an extra game). Ballard, don't model us after them. Tell me Carr wouldn't have a better W/L under Ballard/Reich than he's had with the Raiders the past few years.

I'm not crucifying Ballard for mediocrity when this league is so goddamn skewed towards the QB and he's had Brissett (backup), Luck (double-digit wins), Brissett (backup), Rivers (double-digit wins), and Wentz.

We saw the team that a free agent head GM put around Luck. I don't need to see LaRon Landry, Trent Richardson, Hakeem Nicks, Trent Cole, Todd Herremans, etc. get signed to feel like my GM knows what he's doing.

You guys are acting like A.) Ballard never goes out and gets players, and B.) All of the holes on this team need to be filled by free agents right now, and C.) Some of these guys who signed with other teams would've been signed by the Colts if you were GM.

I don't want Ryan, he's to fuckin old, and Armstead will be a Dolphin by Monday!

ChaosTheory
03-20-2022, 08:15 AM
I don't want Ryan, he's to fuckin old, and Armstead will be a Dolphin by Monday!

Just an example. I tend to think we don't get either of them. I've never been a Ryan fan, but it's a pretty unfortunate group to choose from.

I don't know what the holdup is with Armstead signing somewhere unless it's injuries.

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 09:17 AM
The Tennessee Titans have acquired Robert Woods in a trade with the Los Angeles Rams, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

The Rams will receive a 2023 sixth-round pick in exchange for the receiver, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Would've been a great move for us if we had a QB to throw to him :cool:

Oldcolt
03-20-2022, 09:31 AM
Of those available I'd be less pissed at Ryan. Think he could be ok short term and could be a mentor to a new QB. We are screwed this year anyway you look at it. Please, please no Mayfield.

apballin
03-20-2022, 10:46 AM
Of those available I'd be less pissed at Ryan. Think he could be ok short term and could be a mentor to a new QB. We are screwed this year anyway you look at it. Please, please no Mayfield.

What the fuck is wrong with Mayfield?

He could very easily be the answer we’ve been searching for at qb for the next 5 years easily

This revolving door QB has got to stop

Puck
03-20-2022, 10:54 AM
What the fuck is wrong with Mayfield?

He could very easily be the answer we’ve been searching for at qb for the next 5 years easily

This revolving door QB has got to stop

He is not a very good QB. He is on a loaded Cleveland team and has had 1 winning season.

He is always at odds with someone.

He is going to cost us draft picks and then have to re negotiate his contract next yr. He will either want paid big or will sign with someone else.

He is not worth anything more than a 3rd rd pick IMO and we will still need to draft a QB either this yr or next. He has a big arm, but is always hurt

Does't seem like it's a race between teams to trade for him. Otherwise he would already be gone. Cleveland has already traded for Brissett to be the backup.

If you want the revolving door at QB to stop then you should not want Baker

Hoopsdoc
03-20-2022, 11:11 AM
He is not a very good QB. He is on a loaded Cleveland team and has had 1 winning season.

He is going to cost us draft picks and then have to re negotiate his contract next yr. He will either want paid big or will sign with someone else.

He is not worth anything more than a 3rd rd pick IMO and we will still need to draft a QB either this yr or next. He has a big arm, but is always hurt

Does't seem like it's a race between teams to trade for him. Otherwise he would already be gone. Cleveland has already traded for Brissett to be the backup.

I’d rather have Baker than Matt Ryan. Ryan will be 37 years old in May. He’s Philip Rivers 2.0.

At least with Mayfield you’re getting a guy who could get better.

Puck
03-20-2022, 11:17 AM
I’d rather have Baker than Matt Ryan. Ryan will be 37 years old in May. He’s Philip Rivers 2.0.

Then just draft a QB.

rm1369
03-20-2022, 11:28 AM
Then just draft a QB.

I’m not opposed to it, but it’s what they should have done 2 years ago. Do you see someone realistic in this draft or are you wanting to tank this season and draft a rookie next year?

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 11:39 AM
Damn, dude. Why strawman? I thought for a minute we were having an honest discussion and disagreeing. Knock yourself out if you want to go this route.

Sorry. I was trying to point out how ridiculous it is to include players who might need to be re-signed in 3 and 4 years as a factor in why we can't spend current cap dollars, and my smartassness kicked in a bit much.

All joking aside here are my responses to your post:

A.) Ballard never goes out and gets players

Relatively speaking he doesn't. Here is the list of FAs of note that Ballard has brought in since 2018 (excluding the bargain basement depth signings that is standard for every team and minimal cap impact):

Denico Autry (2018) - 3 yrs/$18M
Eric Ebron (2018) - 2 yrs/$13M
Ryan Grant (2018) - 1 yr/$5M
Devin Funchess (2019) - 1 yr/$10M
Justin Houston (2019) - 2 yrs/$23M
Philip Rivers (2020) - 1 yr/$25M
Xavier Rhodes (2020) - 1 yr/$3M
Trey Burton (2020) - 1 yr/$.9M
Eric Fisher (2020) - 1 yr/$8.4M
Brandon Facyson - 1 yr/$3.8M

So basically in 5 years running now Ballard has brought in 2 FAs that weren't lower cost value signings or 1 year band aids (and technically Rivers was a 1 year band aid)

B.) All of the holes on this team need to be filled by free agents right now

While this is true, Ballard has shown a distinct trend to either ignore the teams needs or rely on the upcoming draft and/or band aid signings to fill those needs.

Take for instance pass rush. It was clear that we needed an upgrade at pass rush coming out of '20 even before the guys who were 2nd and 3rd on the team in sacks were allowed to walk (Houston and Autry). Now letting them walk in and of itself wasn't horrible (although turns out letting Autry go was a mistake), but the need to add pass rush became even more of a priority after that. So what does Ballard do to address it? He adds a bargain basement depth guy (Rochell) and drafts 2 projects. Turns out, at least in the short term, that didn't work out at all as our pass rush was pretty much non-existent throughout '21.

C.) Some of these guys who signed with other teams would've been signed by the Colts if you were GM

This is a good point. I get that in our current situation we would have to way overspend to bring in a guy like Robinson over the LAR. But that always hasn't been the case, and Ballard could still bring in guys to fill team needs.

Here's a great example of someone Ballard should have brought in last year: Trey Hendrickson. We were in dire need of pass rush, had cap space going into FA, and Hendrickson was coming off a year where he had 13.5 sacks, 12 TFL, and 25 QB hits. The Bungles signed him for 4 yrs/$60M with $16M guaranteed. At the time the Colts were a more attractive landing spot since we had come off an 11 win season and it looked like we had adequately backfilled Rivers at QB. The Bungles on the other hand were coming off back to back terrible seasons (2 and 4 wins) and while they had Joe Burrow at QB he was a big question mark at least for '21 as his knee had been pretty much blown up in Nov. '20. One would think if we had offered a similar deal Hendrickson would have signed here.

Hendrickson rewarded the Bungles with 14 sacks/12 TFL/27 QB hits in the regular season and had 3.5 sacks in the playoffs. If we had added that type of production to our shit show pass rush then we're certainly in the playoffs and quite possibly win the division.

That's the type of signing Ballard needs to be making.

One other thing I'd like to add. Our complete lack of activity in FA is pointing to that the FO has decided that '22 could very well be a throw away year. It doesn't necessarily mean that yet, but as each day ticks by it's looking more and more likely. This is one reason why some of us are so pissed and shouldn't be happening in a GM's 6th year.

ChaosTheory
03-20-2022, 11:53 AM

It's a shitty situation with no great choice.

I hear the Ryan skepticism. Like I said, I've never been a big Ryan fan. And the age is a concern. But there's something about these high draft pick guys getting bailed on that I just don't like. Winston, Mariota, Goff, Mayfield, Wentz... we saw first-hand what a reclamation project feels like. Especially if there's a mental/attitude/maturity issue which is what I keep reading.

Glass half-full on Ryan is... He'll be 37. That's two years older than Stafford was last year. But it's two years younger than Rivers when he was here. Rivers' noodle arm got us to 11-5 (I don't know if Ryan's arm is shot, somebody here said it was). If he's not broken and wants to play two or three more years, next year's draft is supposed to be pretty deep at QB.

But you could make a case going the other way, too.

Hoopsdoc
03-20-2022, 12:08 PM
Then just draft a QB.

The odds of drafting one who is even as good as Mayfield are astronomically low, especially in this draft when they don’t have a first rounder.

That’s not improving the position, that’s throwing a dart at the board from 100 feet away.

apballin
03-20-2022, 12:15 PM
Everyone calm the fuck down, there’s still plenty of good free agents available this season is not a total loss and no fuckin way they’re considering that

I still believe we’ll get a couple more impact guys and this team will be in the playoffs again

We’re fine we got rid of Wentz and picked up Ngakwe, address LT which I believe they will and QB ofcourse

Ballard will get this shit right I still believe in him

Brylok
03-20-2022, 01:26 PM
They're just sitting there doing nothing. Why should any of us care anymore?

Puck
03-20-2022, 01:44 PM
I’m not opposed to it, but it’s what they should have done 2 years ago. Do you see someone realistic in this draft or are you wanting to tank this season and draft a rookie next year?

I think that either Pickett or Ridder would be worth a pick. Roll with them this r and if it doesn't work out draft another in 23 when we have a 1st round pick to be able to move up.

Then let one of those two replace Sam as backup if they are better

I'd take Mariota or Winston over Baker for many many reasons but mostly because we don't have to trade any picks

apballin
03-20-2022, 02:04 PM
They're just sitting there doing nothing. Why should any of us care anymore?

Sometimes the best reaction is no reaction

They rushed out and traded for Wentz how’d that workout?

Rushed out and hired McDaniel how’s that workout?

rm1369
03-20-2022, 02:38 PM
Sometimes the best reaction is no reaction

They rushed out and traded for Wentz how’d that workout?

Rushed out and hired McDaniel how’s that workout?

I’m genuinely curious how many more mediocre seasons before Ballard sees genuine pressure from the Indy fan base. One of his best decisions was following Grigson.

rcubed
03-20-2022, 03:08 PM
I think that either Pickett or Ridder would be worth a pick. Roll with them this r and if it doesn't work out draft another in 23 when we have a 1st round pick to be able to move up.

I'd take Mariota or Winston over Baker for many many reasons but mostly because we don't have to trade any picks

I hitched to this wagon a while ago. Pick your best FA QB or roll with sam. I was for picking next QB next year, including trading up as high as possible. But i like your idea of picking QBs back to back years if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lov2fish
03-20-2022, 03:16 PM
If we are rolling with Sam, for fucks sake sign Armstead. If the O-line plays remotely to its 2020 level with Armstead added Sam will have all day to throw the ball. If that is how we are going make him look better than he is.

ChoppedWood
03-20-2022, 03:21 PM
If we are rolling with Sam, for fucks sake sign Armstead. If the O-line plays remotely to its 2020 level with Armstead added Sam will have all day to throw the ball. If that is how we are going make him look better than he is.

He wants $23.9m Per Year, Ballard's calc says he is only worth $23.87, so sorry, hard pass.

In Ballard WE ARE FUCKED!

Puck
03-20-2022, 03:35 PM

Armstead was waiting to find out if Watson was going to the Saints. He most likely would have returned to them if they landed Watson.

There are reasons for players still being available. They are looking at the total landscape of the NFL. Plus he is always hurt it seems. I'm not sure Ballard wants to try another injured LT.

I assume he will make a decision this week. Looks like it may be the bears though.

La'el Collins is also still available

Lov2fish
03-20-2022, 03:47 PM
Armstead was waiting to find out if Watson was going to the Saints. He most likely would have returned to them if they landed Watson.

There are reasons for players still being available. They are looking at the total landscape of the NFL. Plus he is always hurt it seems. I'm not sure Ballard wants to try another injured LT.

I assume he will make a decision this week. Looks like it may be the bears though.

La'el Collins is also still available

Collins plays RT? Is he capable of the move and still perform at a high level? No matter who we have throwing the ball protecting his blindside is a must, especially a young guy back there sling'n it.

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 04:12 PM
he wants $23.9m per year, ballard's calc says he is only worth $23.87, so sorry, hard pass.

In ballard we are fucked!

lmao!!!

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 04:19 PM
I’m genuinely curious how many more mediocre seasons before Ballard sees genuine pressure from the Indy fan base. One of his best decisions was following Grigson.

I've been saying this for awhile now. While for the most part Ballard isn't bad, a lot of people think that he's a lot better than he is b/c his predecessor was so incompetent (same goes for Reich).

JAFF
03-20-2022, 04:35 PM
I've been saying this for awhile now. While for the most part Ballard isn't bad, a lot of people think that he's a lot better than he is b/c his predecessor was so incompetent (same goes for Reich).

Oh please. Look at the all pros on the roster and Ballard either traded for them or drafted them

ChoppedWood
03-20-2022, 04:47 PM
Oh please. Look at the all pros on the roster and Ballard either traded for them or drafted them

Look at the playoff record of the all pros.

Evaluated on results. Your record is who you are. We are a mediocre football team under Ballard.

Brylok
03-20-2022, 06:00 PM
Look at the playoff record of the all pros.

Evaluated on results. Your record is who you are. We are a mediocre football team under Ballard.

JAFF is probably a paid representative of the Colts organization. We've all been banned from dotcom (that's why we're here), but they still pay attention to/want fan reaction/opinions. He/she's a podcast and video posting positivity troll account.

Hoopsdoc
03-20-2022, 06:13 PM

That 3rd or even 2nd round pick isn’t going to get you a quarterback as good as Mayfield. It’s just not.

So what’s the point of protecting that pick when you still have NO ONE at quarterback and that pick isn’t going to get you someone? What’s the benefit?

rm1369
03-20-2022, 06:53 PM
That 3rd or even 2nd round pick isn’t going to get you a quarterback as good as Mayfield. It’s just not.

So what’s the point of protecting that pick when you still have NO ONE at quarterback and that pick isn’t going to get you someone? What’s the benefit?

Because of the reliance on draft picks to fill EVERY hole on the roster you need that pick for LT, WR, TE, or CB. The argument a few are making is just to sign Mariota or Winston and then use the first next year on your QB. So we are looking at another wasted season to draft a rookie QB (hopefully) who of course you can’t expect to win right away, so in all likelihood you are looking at the 2024 Colts starting to get actually competitive. Just in time for Houston and Jacksonville to also be on the upswing. And people were telling me I how ridiculous I was being in 2018 saying Ballard’s methods will result in an unnecessarily long rebuild.

JAFF
03-20-2022, 07:41 PM
JAFF is probably a paid representative of the Colts organization. We've all been banned from dotcom (that's why we're here), but they still pay attention to/want fan reaction/opinions. He/she's a podcast and video posting positivity troll account.

The Colts have better things to do than read fan web sites.

YDFL Commish
03-20-2022, 08:07 PM

Look, I'm a Sooner fan and a baker fan. But I see the flaws in his game. For instance he has a strong tendency to bail to the right whether there is pressure or not.

Defense's takes place advantage of that. I've seen it all from the crotch grab vs Texas to the flag plant vs the Buckeyes and the drunken Baker being chased by the police.

If you guys wanna trade for him that's your business. But, I would wait out the market, because I believe that he will eventually be released.

Brylok
03-20-2022, 08:48 PM

Another bot response.
Yeah, the fans only buy the tickets and shirts/merch. Screw all of us. So it goes

apballin
03-20-2022, 08:49 PM
Look, I'm a Sooner fan and a baker fan. But I see the flaws in his game. For instance he has a strong tendency to bail to the right whether there is pressure or not.

Defense's takes place advantage of that. I've seen it all from the crotch grab vs Texas to the flag plant vs the Buckeyes and the drunken Baker being chased by the police.

If you guys wanna trade for him that's your business. But, I would wait out the market, because I believe that he will eventually be released.

So you’d rather have Winston the Uber groper, W eating, crab legs thief

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 08:58 PM

Yet this supposedly great team couldn't even hit the wide up layup of beating one of the worst teams in the history of the league with a playoff spot on the line, and things have gotten way worse since then. As it stands we have to be the worst team in the league: no legitimate starting NFL QB, LT, WR2, WR3, CB1, and probably CB2 (maybe Ballard's bargain bin guy from LVR will pan out).

Maybe Ballard fixes some of this shit before the start of the season, but I doubt it. In all likelihood all he'll do is follow his process of bringing in a couple of bargain bin FAs and then try to fill all of the holes through the draft where we don't even have a 1st rounder.

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 09:01 PM

Like what? Sit on all of that cash that Ballard saves Irsay every single offseason?

YDFL Commish
03-20-2022, 09:02 PM
So you’d rather have Winston the Uber groper, W eating, crab legs thief

I never said that. He's a POS, that even Arians couldn't fix.

JAFF
03-20-2022, 09:21 PM
Another bot response.
Yeah, the fans only buy the tickets and shirts/merch. Screw all of us. So it goes

Have you ever talked to a bot

JAFF
03-20-2022, 09:24 PM
Like what? Sit on all of that cash that Ballard saves Irsay every single offseason?

Yes, thats right. He couldnt fool you.

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 09:42 PM
Yes, thats right. He couldnt fool you.

Well it has to go somewhere as it certainly isn't being used to improve the team.

ChaosTheory
03-20-2022, 10:14 PM
One of his best decisions was following Grigson.

It certainly helps. When you have a direct side-by-side comparison with an actual shit GM (Grigson), it's easier to recognize a superior (not perfect) GM. That along with the Andrew Luck-induced QB debacle we've had to deal with are the two biggest things that really affect most fans' perspectives, in my opinion.

The next would be Bill Polian as the other bread in this sandwich. You can argue he's the greatest GM of all time and we watched him for nearly 15 years. So the fact that Ballard very much follows the Polian school of thought carries some weight.

I looked up this short piece I remember from Polian years ago. I see some of these bold points annoys some fans a lot...

https://www.espnfrontrow.com/2014/03/free-agency-101-bill-polian/

The 1st and 3rd in particular seem to make certain heads explode.

JAFF
03-20-2022, 10:21 PM
Well it has to go somewhere as it certainly isn't being used to improve the team.

Did they spend a bunch of money for last years team? Go back and check the numbers. Shit happens, they took a chance on the wrong guy.

Spending money doesnt guarantee anything. See the jaguars

JAFF
03-20-2022, 10:25 PM
It certainly helps. When you have a direct side-by-side comparison with an actual shit GM (Grigson), it's easier to recognize a superior (not perfect) GM. That along with the Andrew Luck-induced QB debacle we've had to deal with are the two biggest things that really affect most fans' perspectives, in my opinion.

The next would be Bill Polian as the other bread in this sandwich. You can argue he's the greatest GM of all time and we watched him for nearly 15 years. So the fact that Ballard very much follows the Polian school of thought carries some weight.

I looked up this short piece I remember from Polian years ago. I see some of these bold points annoys some fans a lot...

https://www.espnfrontrow.com/2014/03/free-agency-101-bill-polian/

The 1st and 3rd in particular seem to make certain heads explode.

And fans had the same complaints about Polian. It never changes, fans bitch about the GM even if the win the super bowl. See last years SB winner.

Oldcolt
03-20-2022, 10:53 PM
And fans had the same complaints about Polian. It never changes, fans bitch about the GM even if the win the super bowl. See last years SB winner.

Exactly. This is what fans do, we second guess and bitch. Why does that seem to bug you? For a whole bunch of us it is part of the joy. I've been supporting this stinking team for over 50 years and have bitched about every owner and gm we have had in that time. None of them even know I exist, it is a storm in a tea pot and I am fully aware of that. Still think Ballard is way to passive in free agency and am pleased I can bitch about it here.

Puck
03-20-2022, 11:21 PM
If it costs a draft pick FUCK that

IndyNorm
03-20-2022, 11:42 PM
Did they spend a bunch of money for last years team? Go back and check the numbers. Shit happens, they took a chance on the wrong guy.

Spending money doesnt guarantee anything. See the jaguars

We hit the cap b/c we extended a bunch of guys after free agency was over. If Ballard was the rock star GM you think he is he would have added pass rush help in FA instead of ignoring it, and if he had then in all likelihood we would have been in the playoffs and possibly would have won the division.

IndyNorm
03-21-2022, 12:16 AM
Exactly. This is what fans do, we second guess and bitch. Why does that seem to bug you? For a whole bunch of us it is part of the joy. I've been supporting this stinking team for over 50 years and have bitched about every owner and gm we have had in that time. None of them even know I exist, it is a storm in a tea pot and I am fully aware of that. Still think Ballard is way to passive in free agency and am pleased I can bitch about it here.

Because there is no criticizing Ballard, who is easily the best GM in the league and a sure fire Hall of Famer despite the fact that he can't assemble a team that can beat that joke of a team the Jagoffs, ignores team needs every offseason, can't draft a decent pass rusher, has added exactly 1 good receiver in 5 years, hasn't found a replacement at LT despite knowing that 4 years ago the longtime LT would be retiring soon, and has decided to have a throw away year in year 6 of his tenure b/c he couldn't figure out how to add a decent QB with $70M of cap space.

Chaka
03-21-2022, 12:24 AM
Man, without free agent signing news, this place seems to be descending into Lord of the Flies chaos.

Here's a bit of news I came across - this guy, apparently a new reporter for the Athletic, is reporting that Tyrann Mathieu has narrowed his choices down to the Colts or the Cowboys, and will be deciding this week:

https://twitter.com/PeteBradshaw_/status/1505735260364894208

Chromeburn
03-21-2022, 01:41 AM
Man, without free agent signing news, this place seems to be descending into Lord of the Flies chaos.

Here's a bit of news I came across - this guy, apparently a new reporter for the Athletic, is reporting that Tyrann Mathieu has narrowed his choices down to the Colts or the Cowboys, and will be deciding this week:

Twitter is a screaming hot mess of “fire Ballard” chants. This place is tame in comparison.

Saw the honey Badger rumor last week.

JAFF
03-21-2022, 08:00 AM
Twitter is a screaming hot mess of “fire Ballard” chants. This place is tame in comparison.

Saw the honey Badger rumor last week.

Nothing smart happens on twitter.

Ironshaft
03-21-2022, 08:39 AM
You can say THAT again! :)

I have not seen this level of whining since the last time my kids had a birthday party when they were 4 years old!!

Although, to be fair, nothing we say on here will make one single lick of difference to what the Colts organization does so it is all in good fun.

Some folks might have mental breakdowns over it but those can be good fun if your an outside observer! :)

rm1369
03-21-2022, 08:51 AM
You can say THAT again! :)

I have not seen this level of whining since the last time my kids had a birthday party when they were 4 years old!!

Although, to be fair, nothing we say on here will make one single lick of difference to what the Colts organization does so it is all in good fun.

Some folks might have mental breakdowns over it but those can be good fun if your an outside observer! :)

Continue Ballard’s plan (and the results) for two more years and all the “whining” will stop. It worked wonders for the Pacers.

Hoopsdoc
03-21-2022, 09:04 AM
Because there is no criticizing Ballard, who is easily the best GM in the league and a sure fire Hall of Famer despite the fact that he can't assemble a team that can beat that joke of a team the Jagoffs, ignores team needs every offseason, can't draft a decent pass rusher, has added exactly 1 good receiver in 5 years, hasn't found a replacement at LT despite knowing that 4 years ago the longtime LT would be retiring soon, and has decided to have a throw away year in year 6 of his tenure b/c he couldn't figure out how to add a decent QB with $70M of cap space.

I don’t think Ballard is perfect. Far from it.

I do think he’s one of the better GM’s in the league though, if for no other reason than his draft prowess.

rm1369
03-21-2022, 09:18 AM
I don’t think Ballard is perfect. Far from it.

I do think he’s one of the better GM’s in the league though, if for no other reason than his draft prowess.

I don’t want him fired for that reason. But ultimately, how much does it matter if he doesn’t win? He’s great at drafting but so far he sucks at constructing a roster.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-21-2022, 04:18 PM
Zach Pascal to the Eagles on a 1 year deal per Schefter.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1505990179827425281

Eagles reached agreement on a one-year agreement with former Colts’ WR Zach Pascal, per source. Pascal now reunites with Eagles’ HC Nick Sirianni.

Dam8610
03-21-2022, 04:45 PM

That would be a huge get.

Chromeburn
03-21-2022, 05:22 PM
Nothing smart happens on twitter.

It’s good for hearing news fast. But colts Twitter is scarily ignorant of football knowledge and super reactionary/impatient.

smitty46953
03-21-2022, 06:37 PM

Perhaps that just narrowed a bit? Cowboys re-signed Kearse. :cool:

Cowboys re-signed S Jayron Kearse to a two-year, $10 million contract.
https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/teams/dal/dallas-cowboys

apballin
03-21-2022, 06:45 PM
Come on Ballard make it happen!!!

Hoopsdoc
03-21-2022, 06:52 PM

Wait a minute, why do we need Mathieu? We have 2 decent, much cheaper safeties. He doesn’t play cornerback, does he?

Dam8610
03-21-2022, 07:16 PM
Wait a minute, why do we need Mathieu? We have 2 decent, much cheaper safeties. He doesn’t play cornerback, does he?

If you get a chance to sign a playmaker like Mathieu you take it. He's a clear upgrade over Willis.

YDFL Commish
03-21-2022, 07:20 PM
If you get a chance to sign a playmaker like Mathieu you take it. He's a clear upgrade over Willis.

Safety is the least of our concerns LT and WR have to be the priorities from here on out.

ChoppedWood
03-21-2022, 07:20 PM

It's the Colts and it is the safety position- sign him, for that matter sign every safety left in FA- it still won't be enough.

No idea why but when you talk Colts and the insane level of injuries- you start here. Goes back to Bob, we are never healthy at this position.

Racehorse
03-21-2022, 07:25 PM

Bradley likes to play three safeties in cover 3.

smitty46953
03-21-2022, 07:27 PM
Tonyan back with Packers' Hoped we might get him :rolleyes:

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
The one-year deal #Packers TE Robert Tonyan received is worth $3.7M and includes $1.75M in incentives, according to a source. The #Packers had to pay because at least three other teams were interested in signing him despite coming off a torn ACL. Says what people think of him.

Discflinger
03-21-2022, 08:46 PM
Safety is the least of our concerns LT and WR have to be the priorities from here on out.

Whatever we don’t get in FA, let’s get in the draft. In Ballard I trust.

Puck
03-21-2022, 09:10 PM

I assure you that LT is high on the list for Ballard. But it doesn't have to happen in any particular order does it?

Safety is a huge position on the D and Mathieu would be a game changer for us

bigalbert
03-21-2022, 09:25 PM
I assure you that LT is high on the list for Ballard. But it doesn't have to happen in any particular order does it?

Safety is a huge position on the D and Mathieu would be a game changer for us

This is so ironic Puck because I feel the same way about Honey that you do with Baker. I can’t stand him, lol. I ain’t gonna root for no other team tho

apballin
03-21-2022, 09:45 PM
It’s a passing league and with the QBs in the AFC I love the thought of Maniac, Moore, Blackmon, and Mathieu in the field on 3rd and long

Chromeburn
03-22-2022, 04:50 AM

It’s the scheme we are moving to. Cover 3 with three safeties. One of them usually playing close to the line. Also our secondary is pretty young. Honey Badger would add experience and brains. Can read offensive schemes, understand and line up all three levels of the defense. Can cover wr and TEs in a pinch. He is valuable and we could use him. Like having another experienced middle linebacker/leader of the defense.

Ryan might give us the edge over the cowboys.

Puck
03-22-2022, 09:49 AM
It’s the scheme we are moving to. Cover 3 with three safeties. One of them usually playing close to the line. Also our secondary is pretty young. Honey Badger would add experience and brains. Can read offensive schemes, understand and line up all three levels of the defense. Can cover wr and TEs in a pinch. He is valuable and we could use him. Like having another experienced middle linebacker/leader of the defense.

Ryan might give us the edge over the cowboys.

I hope that somehow the Colts can draft Cine. He is about the 4-5th rated safety in the draft but his attitude/leadership/intelligence is apparently off the charts.

He could learn under Mathieu for a yr. Also I wouldn't get to excited about Blackmon. He has had 2 pretty bad injuries in back to back yrs. His NFL time could be a short one. Lot's of talent though

ChaosTheory
03-22-2022, 12:03 PM
I hope that somehow the Colts can draft Cine. He is about the 4-5th rated safety in the draft but his attitude/leadership/intelligence is apparently off the charts.

He could learn under Mathieu for a yr. Also I wouldn't get to excited about Blackmon. He has had 2 pretty bad injuries in back to back yrs. His NFL time could be a short one. Lot's of talent though

I really hope Blackmon doesn't go down as another snake-bitten guy. I like how he plays a lot.

Chromeburn
03-22-2022, 12:20 PM

Would have to use that 2nd round pick on him. He could last, most have him as a late 1st round pick. KC makes a lot of sense for him.

Discflinger
03-22-2022, 12:27 PM
I really hope Blackmon doesn't go down as another snake-bitten guy. I like how he plays a lot.

Regardless, we need at least 2 behind them.

Chaka
03-22-2022, 04:06 PM
Apparently the Browns are finding it difficult to move Baker Mayfield:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/03/panthers-not-interested-in-baker-mayfield

I read yesterday that they had only received one offer for him, and that offer required the Browns to pair Mayfield with a draft pick (like the Osweiler deal a few years ago) in order to take on his contract.

The Browns have painted themselves into a corner. They signed Watson and Brissett, after previously picking up Mayfield's $19M fifth year option, so every team knows they HAVE to get rid of Mayfield. They have no negotiating leverage. It's really interesting. I wonder if the other teams are freezing the Browns out to punish them for the Watson 100% guaranteed contract?

Chaka
03-22-2022, 04:19 PM
Incidentally, the Mayfield-type circumstances are the kind of situations that Ballard typically takes advantage of with his mega cap space. Every year there are high quality players that teams are unable to keep due to their poor cap management. Ballard is able to take on these guys at a bargain price. Obviously Mayfield didn't fit the bill here (or the Colts were the team that demanded a draft pick to take Mayfield).

The Wentz situation was like this too, as the Colts had all the negotiating leverage, but inexplicably gave the Eagles a conditional 1 and a 3 for him. Honestly, I would have expected a mid-to-late rounder, given the rift between the Eagles management and Wentz, and presence of Hurts. I can only imagine that the Wentz trade compensation was driven, in part at least, by Reich's rabid enthusiasm and the close relationship between the Colts and Eagles personnel. Regardless of the outcome, I still think the plan to acquire Wentz was a worthwhile gamble, but the price paid was just too high given the circumstances.

Spike
03-22-2022, 06:42 PM

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/03/panthers-not-interested-in-baker-mayfield

I read yesterday that they had only received one offer for him, and that offer required the Browns to pair Mayfield with a draft pick (like the Osweiler deal a few years ago) in order to take on his contract.

The Browns have painted themselves into a corner. They signed Watson and Brissett, after previously picking up Mayfield's $19M fifth year option, so every team knows they HAVE to get rid of Mayfield. They have no negotiating leverage. It's really interesting. I wonder if the other teams are freezing the Browns out to punish them for the Watson 100% guaranteed contract?

I don't know. I think it is just the Browns being the fucking dumb ass Brown stains that they are.

smitty46953
03-22-2022, 07:36 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Former Saints’ OT Terron Armstead reached agreement on a five-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, source tells ESPN.

Dewey 5
03-22-2022, 07:43 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Former Saints’ OT Terron Armstead reached agreement on a five-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, source tells ESPN.

No surprise. Bummer.

Butter
03-22-2022, 08:16 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Would have loved to sign him.

Hoopsdoc
03-22-2022, 08:32 PM

Man, the guy must be a real turd that no one wants to touch him. I mean, he’s got talent. He’s young.

Heck, Washington traded for Wentz, for crying out loud.

He must be a real asshole.

Hoopsdoc
03-22-2022, 08:36 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Watching Ballards interview with McAfee, he said Pryor is going to get the first shot at left tackle. Said they like him a lot.

Also said they really like their young guys at wide receiver. Mentioned Patmon and Strachan. Didn’t mention Campbell, interestingly.

I sense that those spots will be shored up in the draft and with low key free agents that they like.

Of course, he could be talking shit.

IndyNorm
03-22-2022, 08:41 PM
Watching Ballards interview with McAfee, he said Pryor is going to get the first shot at left tackle. Said they like him a lot.

Also said they really like their young guys at wide receiver. Mentioned Patmon and Strachan. Didn’t mention Campbell, interestingly.

I sense that those spots will be shored up in the draft and with low key free agents that they like.

Of course, he could be talking shit.

Well shit. Hope that's all Ballard blowing smoke and he brings some guys in. Otherwise our passing game will probably be as effective as our pass rush was last year :cool:

JAFF
03-22-2022, 09:27 PM
Man, the guy must be a real turd that no one wants to touch him. I mean, he’s got talent. He’s young.

Heck, Washington traded for Wentz, for crying out loud.

He must be a real asshole.

No, why trade when he is going to get released, if no one wants to trade?

rcubed
03-22-2022, 09:30 PM
Here’s what i heard regarding pryor:

He will get first crack….unless we sign someone else.

ChaosTheory
03-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Terron Armstead took a while to sign and is only getting $15m/yr. Less than I expected.

Also, apparently Tyreek Hill is shopping around. Not Colts related, but interested.

Puck
03-23-2022, 12:14 PM
Tyreek Hill anyone?

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-give-wr-tyreek-hill-s-camp-permission-to-seek-trade-after-contract-extens

Oldcolt
03-23-2022, 12:14 PM
First I think that Ballard said about the same thing about Tevi just before we signed Fisher. I think, from the way that they talked about Fisher when he was signed, that Ballard thought of him as a two year trial. I think he probably still does. He let Armstead (who I never wanted, unlike most people here. To expensive and tends to miss games) set the market for what a top LT gets. I expect Fisher to sign soon, hopefully with the Colts.

Oldcolt
03-23-2022, 12:16 PM
Tyreek Hill anyone?

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-give-wr-tyreek-hill-s-camp-permission-to-seek-trade-after-contract-extens

I'd gladly give them our second for him. Not going to happen however.

Spike
03-23-2022, 12:41 PM
Terron Armstead took a while to sign and is only getting $15m/yr. Less than I expected.

Also, apparently Tyreek Hill is shopping around. Not Colts related, but interested.

Looks like the Dolphins are getting him.

Lov2fish
03-23-2022, 12:44 PM
Tyreek Hill anyone?

KC is wanting two first for him. He is good, but not two first good.

ChaosTheory
03-23-2022, 12:49 PM
Looks like the Dolphins are getting him.

I guess some voodoo is about to happen, then. On OTC, it shows the Dolphins with like $3.5m effective cap space. And that's without Armstead's contract updated.

Am I mistaken? Isn't the rule that you can go over the cap and pay a tax, but once you're over you can't continue to sign guys? Armstead should put them over.

Spike
03-23-2022, 12:49 PM

Looks like the Dolphins gave up a 1,2,4 for him and some draft picks next year. Plus they are apparently paying him 30 million a year for 4 years. That's just way too much for a team to give up especially one without a QB.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-23-2022, 12:50 PM

Miami and KC settled on the following trade compensation for Hill:

1 - First Round pick (2022)
1 - Second Round pick (2022)
2 - Fourth Round picks (2022 + 2023)
1 - Sixth Round pick (2023)

ChaosTheory
03-23-2022, 12:50 PM

And then Hill himself just saw Davante Adams sign for nearly $150m.

ChaosTheory
03-23-2022, 12:51 PM
Looks like the Dolphins gave up a 1,2,4 for him and some draft picks next year. Plus they are apparently paying him 30 million a year for 4 years. That's just way too much for a team to give up especially one without a QB.

Good Lord...

Ironshaft
03-23-2022, 01:09 PM
Am I mistaken? Isn't the rule that you can go over the cap and pay a tax, but once you're over you can't continue to sign guys? Armstead should put them over.

You don't have to be under the cap until after final cutdowns to a 53 man roster. But then is includes all 53 players and your practice squad. Once you are "in season," then it is a $5m a pop hit for going over the cap. But during the "off" season, there is no penalty for being over the cap.

No, there is no rule that you cannot sign free agents even if you are over the cap during the off season.

Ironshaft
03-23-2022, 01:21 PM
So, we have our QB...

LT: My hope is now that Armstead is signed and has "set" the market that the Colts can get Eric Fisher signed in the near future. If not Fisher, Nate Solder, Riley Reiff and (ugh) 36 year old Duane Brown are still out there and unsigned. If Ballard is not sold on Pryor, there are veteran options.

WR: T.Y. Hilton, Julio Jones, Jarvis Landry, Will Fuller, Sammy Watkins, Odell Beckham Jr.... all are still available and getting cheaper by the day as free agency dollars dry up.

TE: I wonder if Ryan could talk Doyle about coming out of retirement for another year or three? :)

CB: Stephon Gilmore, Joe Haden, Kyle Fuller, Tavon Young, Chris Harris, Patrick Peterson, Janoris Jenkins, Bryce Callahan, Jason Verrett, Xavier Rhodes, A.J. Bouye... all available and all having had some level of success in the NFL in their history. Kick the tires and light the fires but they also get cheaper by the day.

Still a lot of names out there that could help our squad in 2022 and fill out a roster. Just because Ballard has not thrown crazy money around yet does not mean there are not still good players available.

Keep the faith. His moves on trades so far have been brilliant this year. He got more for Wentz than I expected, paid less for Ryan and got a, IMO, better player at a more important position in Yannick by giving away Rock who was not best suited for the new DC. Keep watching!!

Oldcolt
03-23-2022, 02:47 PM
That is way way to much for a wide receiver, both in money and in draft capital.

Hoopsdoc
03-23-2022, 04:32 PM
That is way way to much for a wide receiver, both in money and in draft capital.

Yeah, that’s actually a smart move for the Chiefs. It’s the old Belichickian sell high maneuver.

Hill is really good but he’s not as good as Miami is paying him.

Chromeburn
03-23-2022, 05:03 PM

That’s an insane deal. You can find his replacement in this draft alone. KC is about to restock in a very talented draft. Bad teams do stupid things, good teams take advantage of them.

YDFL Commish
03-23-2022, 07:37 PM
That’s an insane deal. You can find his replacement in this draft alone. KC is about to restock in a very talented draft. Bad teams do stupid things, good teams take advantage of them.

Dolphins and Browns continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Dam8610
03-23-2022, 07:55 PM
So, we have our QB...

LT: My hope is now that Armstead is signed and has "set" the market that the Colts can get Eric Fisher signed in the near future. If not Fisher, Nate Solder, Riley Reiff and (ugh) 36 year old Duane Brown are still out there and unsigned. If Ballard is not sold on Pryor, there are veteran options.

WR: T.Y. Hilton, Julio Jones, Jarvis Landry, Will Fuller, Sammy Watkins, Odell Beckham Jr.... all are still available and getting cheaper by the day as free agency dollars dry up.

TE: I wonder if Ryan could talk Doyle about coming out of retirement for another year or three? :)

CB: Stephon Gilmore, Joe Haden, Kyle Fuller, Tavon Young, Chris Harris, Patrick Peterson, Janoris Jenkins, Bryce Callahan, Jason Verrett, Xavier Rhodes, A.J. Bouye... all available and all having had some level of success in the NFL in their history. Kick the tires and light the fires but they also get cheaper by the day.

Still a lot of names out there that could help our squad in 2022 and fill out a roster. Just because Ballard has not thrown crazy money around yet does not mean there are not still good players available.

Keep the faith. His moves on trades so far have been brilliant this year. He got more for Wentz than I expected, paid less for Ryan and got a, IMO, better player at a more important position in Yannick by giving away Rock who was not best suited for the new DC. Keep watching!!

Armstead didn't set the market, his deal is only $15 million per year.

IndyNorm
03-23-2022, 11:08 PM

Would have been nice :cool:

Ironshaft
03-23-2022, 11:14 PM

Sorry, I meant to set the market for this off-season. He should be the highest paid free agent LT this year. Now everyone can set their expectations.

JAFF
03-24-2022, 07:26 AM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/ArmsTe00.htm

He missed half the season last year, and was too expensive with bad cap management

Oldcolt
03-24-2022, 10:01 AM

He missed half the season last year, and was too expensive with bad cap management

This. Doesn’t matter after how good you are if you are sitting home with an injury.

ChaosTheory
03-24-2022, 10:11 AM
This. Doesn’t matter after how good you are if you are sitting home with an injury.

I knew he missed half of last year. I didn't realize how much he's missed overall.

He's only made 93 out of a possible 145 starts (64%). He's made it to 11 games in four seasons out of nine.

JAFF
03-24-2022, 01:56 PM
I knew he missed half of last year. I didn't realize how much he's missed overall.

He's only made 93 out of a possible 145 starts (64%). He's made it to 11 games in four seasons out of nine.

Dont suppose Ballard knew that?

ChaosTheory
03-24-2022, 03:13 PM
Dont suppose Ballard knew that?

I don't know if you're mixing me up with someone. This is twice.

Lov2fish
03-24-2022, 03:20 PM
Ryan restructured his contract and freed up an additional 6-7 million. Not sure what that brings us to? $21 Mil? Not a cap guru, or even a cap amateur for that matter.

Puck
03-24-2022, 03:50 PM
Ryan restructured his contract and freed up an additional 6-7 million. Not sure what that brings us to? $21 Mil? Not a cap guru, or even a cap amateur for that matter.

About 22

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/

JAFF
03-24-2022, 04:35 PM
I don't know if you're mixing me up with someone. This is twice.

It was for everyone, dont be paranoid.

ChaosTheory
03-24-2022, 05:04 PM
It was for everyone, dont be paranoid.

I had something funny for you, but I can't get this gif to load. So fuck it.

Racehorse
03-24-2022, 06:02 PM
I had something funny for you, but I can't get this gif to load. So fuck it.

Ignore that guy.

Hoopsdoc
03-24-2022, 06:58 PM
Ignore that guy.

Why, because he has a different opinion?

Isn’t that kind of snowflakey?

JAFF
03-25-2022, 04:51 AM

Lets not do that.

Racehorse
03-25-2022, 06:09 AM

It's his condescension towards Chaos

JAFF
03-25-2022, 06:35 AM
It's his condescension towards Chaos

Really? Gee whiz mom. I’m sorry.

See, that was condescending.

Swear to Johnny U all I did was ask a general question to a post.

ChaosTheory
03-25-2022, 09:48 AM
Not a big deal, fellas. I thought the man had me mixed up with one of the anti-Ballard guys. Then he called me paranoid.

https://i.imgflip.com/69zlwj.jpg

After talking with my wife... I think things are going to be ok.

IndyNorm
03-25-2022, 09:54 AM

It could be for the best b/c of his injury history, but his contract was far from break the bank too expensive. He's now tied for 18th on average dollars/yr and makes less per year than Braden Smith does (and I'm sure Nelson will).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/tackle/

Anyway, we still need to bring in a LT to solidify the line. With bringing in Ryan at QB it's no time to experiment at the OL linchpin and possibly the 2nd most important position in the NFL.

ChaosTheory
03-25-2022, 10:06 AM
I'm curious why they haven't re-signed Chris Reed. Agent negotiating because Glowinski left?

IndyNorm
03-25-2022, 10:10 AM
I'm curious why they haven't re-signed Chris Reed. Agent negotiating because Glowinski left?

I've been wondering the same. Guessing b/c Reed is looking to get at least a low level starter deal.

Ironshaft
03-25-2022, 11:01 AM
I've been wondering the same. Guessing b/c Reed is looking to get at least a low level starter deal.

Which, IMO, he deserves.

If Pryor got $5.5m which can go to $6m with incentives, I think Chris Reed deserves near that money. I think he is a starting OG in the NFL.

Chromeburn
03-25-2022, 12:10 PM

He has never played a full season. He plays well when healthy. But better have a good backup.

ChaosTheory
03-25-2022, 01:13 PM
He has never played a full season. He plays well when healthy. But better have a good backup.

Makes you miss Castonzo. Underrated luxury we had.

JAFF
03-25-2022, 02:31 PM
Makes you miss Castonzo. Underrated luxury we had.

They could always run left with AC over there.

Incredibly smart, showed up every Sunday, great teammate.

Hoopsdoc
03-25-2022, 05:54 PM
I want Jarvis Landry. I think he would complement MPJ very nicely.

DOO SUMTHING BALLARD!!!

apballin
03-25-2022, 06:00 PM
Idk I think Julio and Ryan would have the best connection of all the old washed up beat up WR

I’d prefer to just draft David Bell

albany ed
03-25-2022, 06:38 PM
I'm reading some reports that say the WR depth in this year's draft is as deep as it's ever been.

YDFL Commish
03-25-2022, 06:55 PM
Idk I think Julio and Ryan would have the best connection of all the old washed up beat up WR

I’d prefer to just draft David Bell

too slow.

JAFF
03-25-2022, 07:16 PM
too slow.

He has great feet and he finds a way to get open. He did his work in the big ten

apballin
03-25-2022, 07:48 PM
too slow.

He produces, most productive WR in the big ten

Everything isn’t a go route

Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald were “slow” too

Oldcolt
03-25-2022, 08:09 PM
We need speed out there at WR We need more playmakers on offense, to put real pressure on defenses. Make them afraid to bring safeties up because we can go over the top on them. In a perfect world

ChoppedWood
03-25-2022, 08:33 PM
David Bell runs routes, serious real routes- if you have a QB that throws on time and isn't afraid to throw to a spot (in other words the ANTI-WENTZ) Bell is gonna do you real well. There is a great deal of Reggie Wayne to his game.

JAFF
03-25-2022, 08:54 PM
David Bell runs routes, serious real routes- if you have a QB that throws on time and isn't afraid to throw to a spot (in other words the ANTI-WENTZ) Bell is gonna do you real well. There is a great deal of Reggie Wayne to his game.

Yes, thank you.

JAFF
03-25-2022, 09:10 PM
I want Jarvis Landry. I think he would complement MPJ very nicely.

DOO SUMTHING BALLARD!!!

Stop that! Yes I’m talking to you. Killing me Smalls

bigalbert
03-26-2022, 09:09 AM
Why don’t we just sign Will Fuller. He’d fit in with all our other receivers with his injury history

apballin
03-26-2022, 11:47 AM
Why don’t we just sign Will Fuller. He’d fit in with all our other receivers with his injury history

Campbell is the only WR with a history of injury so that’s bs

We need route runners, Ryan is a timing and spot thrower the hero deep ball shit is over so the need for speedy WR is gone

JAFF
03-26-2022, 12:06 PM

Lol

JAFF
03-26-2022, 12:07 PM

We need route runners, Ryan is a timing and spot thrower the hero deep ball shit is over so the need for speedy WR is gone

TY has had some issues the last couple of years

apballin
03-26-2022, 12:57 PM
TY has had some issues the last couple of years

TY problem last year was trying to pull in terrible inaccurate throw’s

Both injuries were because of shitty throws from Wentz

ChaosTheory
03-26-2022, 03:18 PM
TY problem last year was trying to pull in terrible inaccurate throw’s

Both injuries were because of shitty throws from Wentz

You're right in that he's nowhere near the same history as Fuller or Campbell or whoever. But I'm sure they're considering the fact that since he turned 30, he's missed 6 games in 2/3 seasons and come out earlier in a few more games. I might be wrong, but aside from the concussion when he hit the ground, most of those injuries are non-contact.

That said, I'd like him to come back.

bigalbert
03-26-2022, 03:21 PM

Every team needs a guy that can stretch the field. Ridley was the guy til he left the game last year. Unless of course you’re saying Ryan can’t throw it deep anymore. Campbell and TY, were absent a lot last season. 2 of our top 3[emoji2369]

JAFF
03-26-2022, 03:40 PM
Every team needs a guy that can stretch the field. Ridley was the guy til he left the game last year. Unless of course you’re saying Ryan can’t throw it deep anymore. Campbell and TY, were absent a lot last season. 2 of our top 3[emoji2369]

Maybe that guy is A Dulin. Can out run almost everyone and he excelled as a gunner on special teams. Hw is a blur going down field.

bigalbert
03-26-2022, 04:29 PM
Maybe that guy is A Dulin. Can out run almost everyone and he excelled as a gunner on special teams. Hw is a blur going down field.

Yeah I don’t care who it is as long as he can catch. Lol

JAFF
03-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Yeah I don’t care who it is as long as he can catch. Lol

https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/ashton-dulin/

Small sample size. Cant wait for camp

Oldcolt
03-26-2022, 04:57 PM
Thanks to Ironshaft I now understand our financial situation much better (having this kind of expertise available has been missed big time by us. It makes out discussions so much more intelligent). I'm thinking that we are likely not to sign any WRs. Ballard will draft them. Same with guard. I'm hoping the money goes to Mathieu (I understand that this isn't our biggest need but if we are going to go deep into the playoffs we need a big time defense. This guy would really help that) or a left tackle. At least I can see a way forward, before Ryan that seemed impossible to me.

njcoltfan
03-27-2022, 07:13 AM
Thanks to Ironshaft I now understand our financial situation much better (having this kind of expertise available has been missed big time by us. It makes out discussions so much more intelligent). I'm thinking that we are likely not to sign any WRs. Ballard will draft them. Same with guard. I'm hoping the money goes to Mathieu (I understand that this isn't our biggest need but if we are going to go deep into the playoffs we need a big time defense. This guy would really help that) or a left tackle. At least I can see a way forward, before Ryan that seemed impossible to me.

I think it's obvious that Ballard is going to try to fill the remaining holes ( WR, LT, CB ) thru the draft, maybe he takes a flyer and signs Julio Jones after the draft. I think Pryor will be the starting LT on opening day, the guy is 6'7" and weighs close to 350lbs so he definitely has the size to play the position, and by all accounts is a mauler in the run game, hopefully he's the LT for the next 10 years. I was a little skeptical with the Ryan signing, but after reading a whole bunch of articles about the guy I honestly can't wait until the season starts.

apballin
03-27-2022, 09:10 AM
I think it's obvious that Ballard is going to try to fill the remaining holes ( WR, LT, CB ) thru the draft, maybe he takes a flyer and signs Julio Jones after the draft. I think Pryor will be the starting LT on opening day, the guy is 6'7" and weighs close to 350lbs so he definitely has the size to play the position, and by all accounts is a mauler in the run game, hopefully he's the LT for the next 10 years. I was a little skeptical with the Ryan signing, but after reading a whole bunch of articles about the guy I honestly can't wait until the season starts.

He graded out at 87 vs the raiders and allowed 2 pressures and went against ngakwe most of his snaps

Ironshaft
03-27-2022, 10:55 AM
I, of course, prefer a LT with the measurables and draft pedigree that would better indicate that they have the capacity to play at a very high level.

However, I am reminded of a great Colt by the name of Jeff Saturday whom, as we all know, was judged to not have the "skills" to be a long time starter in the NFL and the experts were wrong.

On Matt Pryor, I am struck by the lack of negatives in his NFL.com draft profile located here (https://www.nfl.com/prospects/matt-pryor/32005052-5946-0541-f3df-485816e66481).

They rate him as a 5th or 6th round choice (eventually being drafted in the 6th by PHI) but the only negatives they talk about are:

-- He was heavy (390) coming out of college and might be lax about weight management.
-- Avg lateral movement and could struggle against change of pace rushers.
-- Reputation for being a bit lazy.

Typically, when you look at lower round O-linemen profiles, they list a whole host of issues mostly centering around lack of technique, lack of quickness or lack of effort. Except for the lazy/lack of weight management, there is not much there.

And, assuming that the coaching staff has been able to get him to maintain his healthy weight ($5.5m would indicate that they have), then it really boils down to him just being able to play within the system.

In this article, Pryor was identified as one of 35 players not invited to the combine in 2018 that the writer felt would be drafted (here (https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2018/04/no-combine-no-problem-for-these-35/)):
Matt Pryor, TCU (6-6, 343, 5.60)
Over the past three seasons, Pryor was interchangeable between right guard and right tackle, earning praise from the TCU coaches for his versatility. His weight needs to be monitored and he tends to play tall, but he is coordinated in his shuffle with the ability to sustain blocks.

And while I cannot see individual breakdowns from PFF, his first two seasons with PHI were underwhelming grades (62.0 and 55.0 which is NFL average to slightly below NFL average), his 2021 grade was a 76.5 on 438 snaps which grades out to an above average starter (the 80.0 threshold being the "elite" player).

So, bottom line is that I feel better about giving Pryor a shot at starting. He played well there in 2021, the Colts are obviously okay with his effort and weight management because Ballard does not re-sign someone who they are not happy with (i.e. Carson Wentz) and I have little doubt that there will be an OT drafted somewhere in the 2nd/3rd/4th round of 2022 in a deep O-Lineman class that could potentially be the long-term swing if Pryor works out and signs a long term contract in 2023 or can end up getting a shot at LT if Pryor does not work out.

Bottom line is this is where we appear to be going so, I better get onboard! :)

Oldcolt
03-27-2022, 11:11 AM
Ironshaft I think you are probably correct but I am not totally convinced that Fisher isn't coming back. Last off season Ballard was saying how Tevi was going to be our starting tackle. I can find zero news on Fisher on the net. And I always thought it was a two year deal to get back to himself. We still need a decent backup swing tackle if you are correct that Pryor is our starter. Draft?

ChaosTheory
03-27-2022, 12:28 PM
I was a little skeptical with the Ryan signing, but after reading a whole bunch of articles about the guy I honestly can't wait until the season starts.

Once his name was thrown in the mix, I wanted him above the rest. But I was still skeptical like you. I've now read and watched a bunch on him and I'm also really stoked about next season.

He graded out at 87 vs the raiders and allowed 2 pressures and went against ngakwe most of his snaps

I'll trust the smarter guys in the building. If he's long-term, that's awesome. If he's just good enough until they find the prospect they want, cool. He's at least a good swing.

I don't see many more FA moves, but I'd be least surprised by bringing in a DB. WR/OT I feel like are coming solely in the draft.

Chromeburn
03-27-2022, 06:30 PM

I just don’t see Ballard drafting him at all. He puts too much emphasis on athleticism. I would be surprised if Bell even goes before the third round. His windows will be a lot smaller. He struggles to create separation on horizontal and verticals routes in college, it will be even tougher in the pros. They want speed to complement MPJ and JT. Bell won’t do that. Purdue fans got those gold tinted glasses on when it comes to him. I would rather go after Burks if they target this type.

https://i.ibb.co/vLct6gK/9-AA873-F5-B391-40-F8-9-AD5-EA234-B3996-C1.jpg (https://ibb.co/bN6fMq8)

JAFF
03-27-2022, 08:20 PM
I just don’t see Ballard drafting him at all. He puts too much emphasis on athleticism. I would be surprised if Bell even goes before the third round. His windows will be a lot smaller. He struggles to create separation on horizontal and verticals routes in college, it will be even tougher in the pros. They want speed to complement MPJ and JT. Bell won’t do that. Purdue fans got those gold tinted glasses on when it comes to him. I would rather go after Burks if they target this type.

https://i.ibb.co/vLct6gK/9-AA873-F5-B391-40-F8-9-AD5-EA234-B3996-C1.jpg (https://ibb.co/bN6fMq8)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4570409

He makes plays. He plays big in big games

apballin
03-28-2022, 12:15 AM

Patmon, Strachan, or Paschal are not fast at all

Bell is very athletic and a willing run blocker which kept Paschal on the field most of the time