PDA

View Full Version : Kieffer on Wentz

JAFF
03-09-2022, 10:24 PM
Zak Keefer of TheAthletic.com addresses some of the dynamics regarding the Wentz situation. He writes that the issues arose before the 2022 season began. Over the course the season, the concerns increased.

Per Keefer, some concluded that Wentz displayed “a lack of leadership, a resistance to hard coaching and a reckless style of play.” Frankly, these are exactly the concerns that undermined Wentz’s time with the Eagles.

That’s why coach Frank Reich’s advocacy for Wentz was so surprising. Reich knew the concerns. Reich, as he said last week in Indianapolis, stuck his neck out for Wentz. But Reich was smart enough to pull his head back into the shell and not pin his career on pushing for a second season for Wentz in 2022.

When Keefer explains that the “Colts’ brass simply didn’t trust [Wentz] to be the franchise quarterback moving forward,” the lack of trust begins with owner Jim Irsay. Wentz knew that; he reportedly requested a meeting with Irsay to “clear the air.” Although Irsay declined, he had a pretty good excuse. He was out of town. Per Keefer, the two men eventually spoke.

Eventually, the two teams spoke. Washington called everyone. They tried to get Russell Wilson. They got Carson Wentz for two third-round picks, the second of which can become a second-round pick based on playing time. They took on the full amount of Wentz’s contract, with a payout of more than $28 million this year.

It’s not a shock, given that the Commanders were as motivated to buy a quarterback as the Cots were to sell Wentz. The Commanders were destined to overpay. They felt burned last year by being shut out of the Matthew Stafford talks. They didn’t want to lose out again. They opted to abandon nuance in their search for a quarterback.

Said coach Ron Rivera last week, “Does anybody really care what was traded for Matthew Stafford last year?”

That’s why the Commanders did it. The fact that they settled on (for) Wentz is a product of the unavailability of other options.

Yes, Wentz is still capable. He’s better than what Washington had. The question now becomes whether Wentz’s latest failure coupled with Rivera’s deft hand will result in enhanced leadership, decreased resistance to hard coaching, and a less reckless style of play.

If being traded twice in two years provides Wentz with the wakeup call he desperately needs, the Commanders may have actually gotten a bargain.

Butter
03-09-2022, 10:39 PM
It could happen and monkeys might fly out of my ass.

apballin
03-09-2022, 10:58 PM
Wentz has become quite the politician and nice move by Frank upselling his bumass for trade purposes

JAFF
03-10-2022, 07:23 AM
It could happen and monkeys might fly out of my ass.

Let me know when that happens if the music from the Wizard of Oz is playing in the backround.

Racehorse
03-10-2022, 07:34 AM
That last part looks an awful lot like the article written a year ago.

CletusPyle
03-10-2022, 09:05 AM
We should have known there would be some coach(es), with enough confidence in their ability, that they could bring out the best in Wentz. Rivera is a confident, almost arrogant guy, I'm sure he believes that he can play to Wentz's strengths and avoid putting him in situations where he fails.

I will be paying attention to it, I saw moments from Wentz that leads me to believe that under the right situation, he could be very effective and successful! I wish Wentz well, but I am glad we are moving on from him!

Hoopsdoc
03-10-2022, 09:59 AM
We should have known there would be some coach(es), with enough confidence in their ability, that they could bring out the best in Wentz. Rivera is a confident, almost arrogant guy, I'm sure he believes that he can play to Wentz's strengths and avoid putting him in situations where he fails.

I will be paying attention to it, I saw moments from Wentz that leads me to believe that under the right situation, he could be very effective and successful! I wish Wentz well, but I am glad we are moving on from him!

Color me extremely skeptical that if Reich couldn’t get enough out of him anyone else can.

Oldcolt
03-10-2022, 11:07 AM
Reich didn’t have a full off season to work with him If it only was his play at QB he has such incredible physical talent I have to believe they would give it another year to try to fix. The guy was and is very tough to root for, not exactly sure what it is but I just couldn’t get behind him. He got very tepid support from the locker room both here and in Phili. I wish him best going forward but……here we go again. Sucks

1965southpaw
03-10-2022, 02:50 PM
Reich didn’t have a full off season to work with him If it only was his play at QB he has such incredible physical talent I have to believe they would give it another year to try to fix. The guy was and is very tough to root for, not exactly sure what it is but I just couldn’t get behind him. He got very tepid support from the locker room both here and in Phili. I wish him best going forward but……here we go again. Sucks

I lost confidence in Wentz in one our our close losses last year that we should have won. I think it was the Tampa Bay game but someone correct me if I’m wrong. It was the second half after a very successful first half with JT running the ball. Inexplicably we went a second half exclusively throwing the ball and not engaging JT. I recall that in the day or so after the loss that Reich explained that Wentz had 8 or 9 RPO plays in his arsenal and called Pass every time.

Reich wasn’t one to throw a player(especially his protégée) under the bus so that stuck with me. Besides his bad decision making under pressure, he strikes me as a selfish player (A la Jeff George). He seems to need to be the hero/savior. A really good leader recognizes other talent and uses all those pieces to win. I wish him well in Washington unless he’s playing the Colts, but I don’t think this pattern of behavior is going to change.

IndyNorm
03-11-2022, 06:39 PM

Maybe. Guessing that since Wentz really regressed for the 2nd half of the season rather than progressed (or at least plateaued) that Irsay/Ballard/Reich thought that an offseason probably wasn't going to help. Also, could be Wentz refused to pit in the extra time to get better during the season and showed no signs that he would change that going into next year.

Hoopsdoc
03-11-2022, 10:00 PM
I lost confidence in Wentz in one our our close losses last year that we should have won. I think it was the Tampa Bay game but someone correct me if I’m wrong. It was the second half after a very successful first half with JT running the ball. Inexplicably we went a second half exclusively throwing the ball and not engaging JT. I recall that in the day or so after the loss that Reich explained that Wentz had 8 or 9 RPO plays in his arsenal and called Pass every time.

Reich wasn’t one to throw a player(especially his protégée) under the bus so that stuck with me. Besides his bad decision making under pressure, he strikes me as a selfish player (A la Jeff George). He seems to need to be the hero/savior. A really good leader recognizes other talent and uses all those pieces to win. I wish him well in Washington unless he’s playing the Colts, but I don’t think this pattern of behavior is going to change.

For me, I was done with him after the interception in overtime against Tennessee. That was just unbelievably bad. A winning player doesn’t make such a boneheaded mistake in such a big moment.

I knew right then we would never win anything with him. No team ever will with him as a starter.

nate505
03-11-2022, 10:17 PM
Everyone has their play I'm sure. Mine was during the Raiders game, where he had a chance to run for like 10-20 yards (maybe more) but instead throws a pass to a covered Hines 9 yards down the field. At best Hines catches the pass and gets dropped there for a 9 yard gain. Instead he doesn't catch the pass, incomplete.

I don't understand why any QB makes that decision. Even Manning at his ultimate statue-esque prime would have ran.

apballin
03-11-2022, 10:51 PM
I tried to give him benefit of the doubt but

It was the jags game for me… him holding the ball

I was yelling at my TV “You have 2 fucking seconds get rid of the goddam ball”

ChoppedWood
03-12-2022, 07:37 PM

Dude NEVER threw the ball on time.

Thorgrim
03-13-2022, 11:19 AM

Waiting for Wentz to throw was excruciating to watch. It was like begging a fat kid to let go of a cookie.

JAFF
03-13-2022, 11:32 AM
Waiting for Wentz to throw was excruciating to watch. It was like begging a fat kid to let go of a cookie.

Hey, if its a great cookie I will fight for it