PDA

View Full Version : Colts GM Chris Ballard on Carson Wentz

JAFF
03-01-2022, 07:24 PM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/03/01/colts-chris-ballard-quarterback-well-do-whats-best-colts/6847471001/

NDIANAPOLIS — Six weeks after their season ended in embarrassment, the Colts have not changed their messaging on the starting quarterback position.

Indianapolis is not committing to bringing back Carson Wentz, the quarterback the Colts traded a first- and a third-round pick to get at this time last offseason. From the end of the season through March, the Colts have not said they will bring Wentz back as the starter.

And that leaves open the door for coach Frank Reich to be working with a fifth different starting quarterback in five seasons.

“I know I’m going to get a lot of questions about Carson right now. I don’t have a direct answer for you,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard said in his NFL Combine news conference Tuesday. “(Jim) Irsay, Frank and I will sit down over the next 10 days and figure out where it’s going.”

The discussion, a discussion that Ballard acknowledged might begin with differing viewpoints, will over the next 10 days center on whether bringing Wentz back as the starter represents the best long-term answer for the franchise. When Indianapolis traded for Wentz last year, there was hope that he could fill that void.

"I believe in him, I stuck my neck out for him last year," Reich said. "I was a big part of that discussion last year. I believe he's going to continue to have a lot of success at quarterback. That might be here, that might not be here. That decision has yet to be determined."

The way the season progressed opened the possibility of Indianapolis making another move at quarterback.

Working under Reich, Wentz was able to bounce back somewhat from his disastrous final season in Philadelphia by throwing for 27 touchdowns, seven interceptions, 3,563 yards and a 94.7 rating, the third-best of his six seasons as a starter.

But Wentz’s lack of accuracy, his decision-making and a penchant for ignoring the short throw in favor of trying to make the big play cost the Colts’ passing game deeply, and by season’s end it had become the team’s Achilles heel. Indianapolis finished 26th in the NFL in passing, and Wentz’s play got worse as the season progressed, even though defenses increasingly stacked the box to stop All-Pro running back Jonathan Taylor, who became the overwhelming focal point of the offense.

W entz’s play cost the Colts dearly in the final two weeks of the season. Playing behind Taylor and an opportunistic defense that finished second in the NFL in takeaways, Indianapolis came back from a 1-4 start to get to 9-6, a spot that looked like a sure playoff berth.

"Ultimately, we didn't win as a team. I'm not putting this all on Carson," Reich said. "We didn't win the big game, the must game, the gotta-have game. ... When you go 9-8 and miss the playoffs, those are the questions that have to be answered."

The Colts collapsed in winnable games the final two weeks against the Raiders and Jaguars, and Wentz struggled mightily in both games, completing a collapse that beganhalfway through the season.

Wentz’s salary cap hit is more than $28 million, but the Colts would be able to get rid of all of that figure if they traded Wentz; and if they released the quarterback outright, they’d save $13 million against the cap, even though they would take a $15 million dead hit.

Ballard, and the Colts at large, have made it clear this offseason that the costs — both Wentz’s current salary and the draft picks Indianapolis gave up to get him — would not keep them from making a move at the position.

More:Insider: Why Carson Wentz's contract isn't a factor in Colts QB decision

“Don’t let it,” Ballard said. “You always do what you think is the best with the information at the time. I don’t ever worry about what we gave up or what we didn’t. We make the best decision going forward. Whatever the repercussions of that are, they are, and we deal with them and we figure out how we can move forward.”

The Colts have also made it clear the team will not make a decision simply to preserve continuity at a position that has been a revolving door since Andrew Luck's retirement two weeks before the start of the regular season.

"Whatever ends up happening, whether it's five in five years or Carson's back, however that decision ends up playing out, you play the hand that you're dealt, and you just try to play a winning hand," Reich said.

The Colts are aware that their decision to avoid committing to Wentz publicly will be noted by the quarterback himself. Ballard met with Wentz for an hour on Tuesday, and said that one of the things the quarterback must do is acknowledge that some of the criticism around his play is warranted.

What I think you always have to ask yourself. … is the criticism fair?” Ballard said. “I’ll take it in if it’s fair. If it’s not fair, then what am I doing? I’m not wasting my headspace on that, but if the criticism is fair, then we’ve got to be able to look internally and accept that and grow from it. I’m not saying all of it is, but most of it’s pretty fair. It’ll be interesting to see how he grows from this. I think he will.”

The ability to handle adversity and criticism, remain steady and keep playing well, is critical to the position.

So critical that Ballard singled it out as the most important trait a quarterback has to have in today’s NFL.

“Ultimately, you’ve got to have a guy you believe in, and you can win with,” Ballard said. “That will play some into it, but ultimately, we will make the decision that we think is best, both in the short and the long-term

Chromeburn
03-01-2022, 08:57 PM
I saw within the next 10 days something should happen. Also rumors that they are trying to do a Stafford type deal. With who, I don’t know.

JAFF
03-01-2022, 09:39 PM
PTF reports

Colts coach Frank Reich had no update today on the status of quarterback Carson Wentz, whose late-season struggles appear to have him on the chopping block.

“We’ll continue the evaluation process,” Reich said. “In this business everybody and everything get evaluated every year. And the second thing we know is head coach and quarterback get the most scrutiny.”

Wentz got plenty of scrutiny after his disastrous play in the season finale, when the Colts lost to the Jaguars and were eliminated from playoff contention. And Reich got scrutiny because he was the driving force behind the Colts’ decision to trade for Wentz, a trade that cost the Colts their first-round pick in the 2022 NFL draft.

“I believe in Carson. I stuck my neck out for him,” Reich said today.

Reich said the Colts do believe Wentz improved in 2021 over his terrible final season in Philadelphia in 2020. But he likely didn’t improve enough for the Colts to think they can win with Wentz in 2022.

CletusPyle
03-01-2022, 09:56 PM
Sounds like he'll be back to me....CBS says Derrick Carr will be a Colt next season. I've seen reports that Wentz will be traded to Washington, so I guess we just have to wait!

apballin
03-01-2022, 10:31 PM
I thought he was as good as gone, now I’m not sure since Reich is all on his nuts seems like there’s a civil war amongst Irsay, Ballard, and Reich

Hopefully they can make something happen I have zero faith in Wentz, stick to your guns Jim fuck Wentz

Oldcolt
03-01-2022, 11:19 PM
It sure sounds like Irsay wants him gone and Reich wants him another year. It also sounds like 3/4 of the year through they though they might have found their answer. Next year will be a crap shoot at QB. There is no sure thing for us. I think it will be Wentz or Trubisky, or an exciting thought. Hope I’m wrong.

Hoopsdoc
03-02-2022, 11:29 AM
Sounds like he'll be back to me....CBS says Derrick Carr will be a Colt next season. I've seen reports that Wentz will be traded to Washington, so I guess we just have to wait!

Carr isn’t going anywhere, McDouche loves him.

I just don’t see how the Colts are going to improve the quarterback position. There are SO many teams that need a quarterback, teams with a lot more draft capital than we have.

I think it’s going to require trading a player or two if they’re truly serious about getting a good quarterback. And I’m not sure they’ll be willing to do that.

Just please, for the love of God, no more Wentz. I’m not sure I could handle it.

Discflinger
03-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Blah blah blah…same old shit.

Brylok
03-02-2022, 12:26 PM
What a mess.

nate505
03-02-2022, 12:31 PM
I'm sure he'll be back, which fucking sucks because the guy just absolutely refuses to make a check down pass. He's either too stupid or too stubborn, and it's not just here.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/10/philadelphia-eagles-carson-wentz-checkdown-pass/

At least guys like Allen and Mahomes bring so much more to the table when they don't. Wentz refuses to make a check down pass just to get sacked or overthrow a receiver.

One more year of him sounds really depressing. Like I don't care if they roll with someone way worse or some unknown. If they suck, they get a high pick next year and can get a QB. If they find a diamond in the rough and develop it, great. I just don't see the upside to Wentz. The bad traits he has can't be fixed.

ChaosTheory
03-02-2022, 06:01 PM
I think I'm leaning more towards Wentz coming back as the most likely scenario.

There's just too many negative and/or unrealistic alternatives. I see four guys that would be an improvement over Wentz but are long shots due to combinations of expense, interest from the player, and interest from the players's team. I don't see the rest of the available guys as much of an upgrade if at all.

Now I wonder if Ballard is resigned to that fact and he's intentionally trying to light a fire under Wentz. Might as well try to motivate him if you're keeping him?

Spike
03-02-2022, 07:07 PM
I think I'm leaning more towards Wentz coming back as the most likely scenario.

There's just too many negative and/or unrealistic alternatives. I see four guys that would be an improvement over Wentz but are long shots due to combinations of expense, interest from the player, and interest from the players's team. I don't see the rest of the available guys as much of an upgrade if at all.

Now I wonder if Ballard is resigned to that fact and he's intentionally trying to light a fire under Wentz. Might as well try to motivate him if you're keeping him?

I hear what you are saying, but how much more motivation does that dumb ass need. His motivation should have been this past season since Philly threw his sorry ass in the garbage. But I don't think motivation is his problem, he's just fucking stupid as an NFL QB and you can't fix stupid. Add in his piss poor mechanics and you are left with the shit show that is CW. I was completely wrong about Wentz, I thought he would be a top 5-10 QB with the Colts. Sadly, I was mistaken.

Hoopsdoc
03-02-2022, 10:10 PM
I hear what you are saying, but how much more motivation does that dumb ass need. His motivation should have been this past season since Philly threw his sorry ass in the garbage. But I don't think motivation is his problem, he's just fucking stupid as an NFL QB and you can't fix stupid. Add in his piss poor mechanics and you are left with the shit show that is CW. I was completely wrong about Wentz, I thought he would be a top 5-10 QB with the Colts. Sadly, I was mistaken.

I was arrogant. I thought all those Philly fans were stupid and/or spoiled. Now I know EXACTLY what they were talking about.

Still blows my mind that a quarterback can be THAT bad and still put up the numbers Wentz did. I’ve never seen anything like it.

apballin
03-02-2022, 10:18 PM
I was arrogant. I thought all those Philly fans were stupid and/or spoiled. Now I know EXACTLY what they were talking about.

Still blows my mind that a quarterback can be THAT bad and still put up the numbers Wentz did. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Only thing good was his TD to INT ratio and you can thank all the attention Taylor got for that

Spike
03-02-2022, 11:45 PM
Only thing good was his TD to INT ratio and you can thank all the attention Taylor got for that

Yeah, on paper his TD to INT ratio was good, but he got away with a shit load of mistakes that should have ended up in INT's. He was one lucky bastard.

rcubed
03-03-2022, 12:44 AM

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njcoltfan
03-03-2022, 08:35 AM
And Defensive Backs that can't catch !!!!!

CletusPyle
03-03-2022, 09:09 AM

Translation for children:
Uncle Carson is not very smart and that can't be fixed, the way he throws the ball is not very good. I thought he was good, but I was wrong, he is bad!:D

apballin
03-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Yeah, on paper his TD to INT ratio was good, but he got away with a shit load of mistakes that should have ended up in INT's. He was one lucky bastard.

Yea our best play was under throw pass interference for 4 weeks in a row

ChaosTheory
03-03-2022, 02:33 PM

Very true. I'm not saying I want them to do this with Wentz.

I'm just racking my brain at what Ballard might want to do. I don't have the most confidence in us bringing in one of those four guys.

rcubed
03-03-2022, 05:43 PM
Very true. I'm not saying I want them to do this with Wentz.

I'm just racking my brain at what Ballard might want to do. I don't have the most confidence in us bringing in one of those four guys.
based on what has already been said by colts top brass, I feel like irsay and ballard are done with wentz but reich, while disappointed in wentz-year-one, still wants to give it another try. I think ballard will investigate all possibilities but will settle on one more year with wentz or possibly roll with ehlinger for a year with eyes on drafting this or most likely next year.

Chromeburn
03-03-2022, 06:34 PM
Ballard was just on the morning show. It did not sound like he will be back. I think they are still going through the pros and cons. This sucks, it’s exactly what I was afraid of last year. If anyone wants to know what Wentz’s mechanical issues are, here is a great thread Zach hicks wrote on it last year. Exact same stuff happened this year. He either doesn’t work on it in the off-season or he just isn’t fixable.

https://twitter.com/zachhicks2/status/1403143469820952587?s=21

ChaosTheory
03-03-2022, 10:48 PM
based on what has already been said by colts top brass, I feel like irsay and ballard are done with wentz but reich, while disappointed in wentz-year-one, still wants to give it another try. I think ballard will investigate all possibilities but will settle on one more year with wentz or possibly roll with ehlinger for a year with eyes on drafting this or most likely next year.

Exactly my thinking. Unfortunately.

MeSayDayo
03-04-2022, 08:58 AM

To your point, I actually think this roster is more ready for a rookie passer (or close, like Ehlinger), There are still too many holes to fill on our squad, so it may take a year or two to fill it. In the meantime we can find that guy and I think we should do it now, with or without Wentz.
Because of our teams strengths, we could plug a rookie QB into our team who is smart, play system friendly football, and operate within Frank's scheme if it can be watered down some. Basically Mac Jones type of deal. A large reason why, in my opinion, our passing game faltered this year is due to reps, timing with Wentz and the receivers. Just at times when it seemed they were getting it together, Taylor would have a freaking blowup game and as the season wore on, EVERYONE was clamoring for JT to get fed the rock. So we did it. We did it at the expense of our passing game, really. Did COVID and Injures and yes, Wentz just generally shitting his red haired pants play a big factor? Yes it did.

On a side note, AR and Russ not going anywhere is really good for the Wentz market. We me may very well be able to ship him off for a 2 and 5 or something like that. If we do, we can really go out there and hand pick the best cheap FA QB on the market to compete with a rookie and Ehlinger. I like it!

njcoltfan
03-04-2022, 09:25 AM

Who would be DUMB enough to trade for Wentz, especially after his last two years !! If Ballard gets ANYTHING for him, he should immediately be crowned GM of the year!! Cut his worthless ass and move on, its going to be another wait until next year for the Colts anyway, by the time Ballard gets his QB, the current roster will all be collecting social security !!!

Chromeburn
03-04-2022, 03:49 PM
Who would be DUMB enough to trade for Wentz, especially after his last two years !! If Ballard gets ANYTHING for him, he should immediately be crowned GM of the year!! Cut his worthless ass and move on, its going to be another wait until next year for the Colts anyway, by the time Ballard gets his QB, the current roster will all be collecting social security !!!

I’m hoping there is a limited market. Deshaun Watson and Jimmy g look to be the only ones hitting the market. So there might be some demand. Coaches are egomaniacs. So someone might think they can fix him. Tampa? Washington?