PDA

View Full Version : Colts and Reggie Wayne discussing possible coaching role

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
02-25-2022, 03:25 PM
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1497279616129638406

News: The Colts are strongly considering hiring franchise great Reggie Wayne as the team’s new wide receivers coach, sources said. Nothing finalized, but would be a big addition to Frank Reich’s staff.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1497279857285238789

Reggie Wayne was a volunteer coach for the Colts during training camp in 2018, and when asked about going into coaching fulltime, said this: “I enjoyed it. I think coaching is in my blood, I think it’s something that I would want to do. It’s just got to be the right time.”

Brylok
02-25-2022, 08:58 PM
It can be a bad sign when teams hire former players to coaching positions, let alone three of them. Living in the past? Can't find anyone else to take the jobs? I like June, Mitchell, and Reggie, but I'm a bit concerned.

Chromeburn
02-25-2022, 10:51 PM
Fear that Reich is on the hot seat and the job might be a short one?

Brylok
02-25-2022, 11:28 PM
Fear that Reich is on the hot seat and the job might be a short one?

Probably that and there has been increased scrutiny in the local media. Fans are still pissed off and aren't going to be any happier when neither Rodgers nor Wilson come. Maybe they're trying to throw fans a bone bringing back nostalgia players. I don't know, just my initial take on it.

JAFF
02-26-2022, 11:35 AM
It can be a bad sign when teams hire former players to coaching positions, let alone three of them. Living in the past? Can't find anyone else to take the jobs? I like June, Mitchell, and Reggie, but I'm a bit concerned.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/25/report-colts-strongly-considering-hiring-reggie-wayne-as-wrs-coach/

Wayne had great hand and route running, he was a perfectionist. Good trait to have as a coach. He didnt have Marvin speed, but he was tough on guys who tried to man handle him. Perfect routes, great feet, which are learned by many reps in practice. Wayne was a leader on and off the field. Whats not to like?

Cato June made himself into a very good LB in the Dungy D. He has been coaching college ball for about 9 years.

https://bgsufalcons.com/staff-directory/cato-june/753

The Colts know him and he knows success in the NFL. He knows the culture of the Colts when they were great, and he is young enough to relate to the players.

HoosierinFL
02-26-2022, 01:57 PM

I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to take the job, but I do worry about the "living in the past" part. Great players don't always make great coaches. It's one thing to execute, but its another to teach.

JAFF
02-26-2022, 02:09 PM
I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to take the job, but I do worry about the "living in the past" part. Great players don't always make great coaches. It's one thing to execute, but its another to teach.

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-wide-receiver-ty-hilton-learned-reggie-wayne-shared-rookies

Try this article

Brylok
02-27-2022, 12:56 AM
I'm just saying that I have a bad feeling whenever any team anywhere in the world hires former players as coaches. I hope they're successful, but they're usually not.

JAFF
02-27-2022, 08:25 AM
I'm just saying that I have a bad feeling whenever any team anywhere in the world hires former players as coaches. I hope they're successful, but they're usually not.

NFL:

Arizona-Kliff Kingsbury- quarterback Patriots, Saints, Broncos, Jets, Bills

Carolina-Ron Rivera-linebacker Bears, 3 year starter, Super Bowl winner

Chicago-Matt Nagy-quarterback Arena Football League, Eagles

Dallas-Jason Garrett-quarterback Saints, Cowboys, Giants, Buccaneers and Dolphins

Indianapolis-Frank Reich-quarterback Bills, Panthers, Jets and Lions, greatest true backup quarterback ever

Jacksonville-Doug Marrone-offensive line Dolphins and Saints

LA Chargers-Anthony Lynn-running back Broncos and 49ers, 2x Super Bowl winner

New Orleans-Sean Payton-quarterback Bears

Philadelphia-Doug Pederson-quarterback Dolphins, Panthers, Packers, Eagles and Browns, Super Bowl winner

Tennessee-Mike Vrabel-defensive end, linebacker, occasional tight end Steelers, Patriots and Chiefs, 3x Super Bowl winner, First Team All Pro, Sports Illustrated All Decade Team 2000s, probably the best playing career of any current head coach

Washington-Jay Gruden-quarterback Arizona, Arena League MVP, only on the practice squad in the NFL

Played after College but not in the NFL:

Green Bay-Matt LaFleur-quarterback, National Indoor Football League

College:

Atlanta-Dan Quinn-Salisbury University, defensive lineman, two time team captain

Baltimore-John Harbaugh-Miami of Ohio, defensive back

Buffalo-Sean McDermott-College of William and Mary-safety, all conference in 1997

Cleveland-Freddie Kitchens-Alabama, quarterback, three year starter

Detroit-Matt Patricia-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, offensive line

Houston-Bill O’Brien-Brown, end-linebacker

Kansas City-Andy Reid-Glendale Community College and BYU offensive line

LA Rams-Sean McVay-Miami of Ohio wide receiver

Minnesota-Mike Zimmer-Illinois State quarterback and linebacker

New England-Bill Belichick-Wesleyan University center and tight end

NY Giants-Pat Shurmur-Michigan State guard, linebacker and center, All Big Ten, Honorable Mention All-American

Oakland-Jon Gruden-University of Dayton quarterback

Pittsburgh-Mike Tomlin-College of William and Mary wide receiver, Second Team All Yankee Conference

San Francisco-Kyle Shanahan-Texas wide receiver

Seattle-Pete Carroll-College of Marin and University of the Pacific free safety, 2x All Conference, tried out for a World Football League team but did not make the team

Tampa Bay-Bruce Arians-Virginia Tech quarterback

High School:

Denver-Vic Fangio, safety

You could include Jim Harbaugh, he did take the niners to the super bowl

Oldcolt
02-27-2022, 11:48 AM
I hear you JAFF but wonder how many of those players went from sitting at home with essentially zero coaching experience to being in charge of a position as coach?

Stampede blue has an article saying that this is to improve the locker room. WTF? Ballard has been bragging since he got here about how he was all about building this so called 'great' locker room. Couldn't bring in big time free agents because the 'culture' wasn't right but not to worry- the Colts even hired this guy Brian Decker because he was such a genius at picking out the 'right' kind of player. After 5 years we find out that this was pure bullshit. Ballard and company cannot get into a man's head anymore than you or me. So we may have passed on some really good football players in order to build this winning culture, a huge part of the Ballard formula, and it was a total failure (just look at how these shitheads all fell apart).

I'm beginning to sour on this regime.

CletusPyle
02-27-2022, 02:39 PM
I hear you JAFF but wonder how many of those players went from sitting at home with essentially zero coaching experience to being in charge of a position as coach?

Stampede blue has an article saying that this is to improve the locker room. WTF? Ballard has been bragging since he got here about how he was all about building this so called 'great' locker room. Couldn't bring in big time free agents because the 'culture' wasn't right but not to worry- the Colts even hired this guy Brian Decker because he was such a genius at picking out the 'right' kind of player. After 5 years we find out that this was pure bullshit. Ballard and company cannot get into a man's head anymore than you or me. So we may have passed on some really good football players in order to build this winning culture, a huge part of the Ballard formula, and it was a total failure (just look at how these shitheads all fell apart).

I don't want to pick the scab off an old wound, but Ballard didn't handle the Luck retirement right either...then railed against the shocked and disappointed fans that booed before they really had a chance to digest losing a great franchise QB. Not saying the fans handled it well, but neither did Ballard, the way it leaked out and caught so many of us off guard and then he lectures everyone...that soured me on him and I have never quite gotten over it!

JAFF
02-27-2022, 02:43 PM

Frank knows these guys, he was a coach in Indy.

And they both made more money playing football than coaching it. Longer hours and more pressure to succeed is in their future and they know it.. June has been coaching in small HBSU because he could get experience. He has a record as a coach. Reggie has a record as a team captain, who had to maximize his knowledge to offset his lack of Harrison speed.

They have a record of success. They WANT to be in Indy.

JAFF
02-27-2022, 02:50 PM
I don't want to pick the scab off an old wound, but Ballard didn't handle the Luck retirement right either...then railed against the shocked and disappointed fans that booed before they really had a chance to digest losing a great franchise QB. Not saying the fans handled it well, but neither did Ballard, the way it leaked out and caught so many of us off guard and then he lectures everyone...that soured me on him and I have never quite gotten over it!

Do you think Ballard leaked it? Why would he?

CletusPyle
02-27-2022, 03:02 PM
Do you think Ballard leaked it? Why would he?

The leaking was only part of the problem, it was handled badly in my opinion. Other high profile players in the league have retired unexpectedly and it didn't turn into a shit show like this did, even if he didn't leak it, someone in his circle did!

Oldcolt
02-27-2022, 03:07 PM

Damn strait on that one

Oldcolt
02-27-2022, 03:13 PM
I think it was handled badly but tend to give Ballard some slack on it. This was something that almost never happens (franchise QB deciding to retire at his age), so transversing it perfectly is asking a lot. Ballard was relatively new in the position and I personally handled it poorly so I have a hard time damning someone else who did. I don't really blame anyone for the whole thing. Luck had every right to retire. It is his life. I think if they were honest most of the parties would have done it differently (I include myself in this). People learn and almost never get it correct the first time, at least that has been my own personal experience. Ancient history anyway. Five years is forever in the NFL.

JAFF
02-27-2022, 03:15 PM
The leaking was only part of the problem, it was handled badly in my opinion. Other high profile players in the league have retired unexpectedly and it didn't turn into a shit show like this did, even if he didn't leak it, someone in his circle did!

Someone in the organization leaked it, before the end of the preseason game. I doubt it was Ballard. Someone in the locker room or agent wanted to be first on twitter

Racehorse
02-27-2022, 08:30 PM
Someone in the organization leaked it, before the end of the preseason game. I doubt it was Ballard. Someone in the locker room or agent wanted to be first on twitter

My guess is someone was talking about it on the sidelines, and was overheard. Probably totally accidental.

IndyNorm
03-05-2022, 10:35 AM

To be fair Reggie would be the only former player hired to be the position coach. June and Mitchell are assistant position coaches, and June has been coaching LBs in college for quite a while now.

Discflinger
03-14-2022, 01:49 PM
Welcome back, Reggie!

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
12-05-2023, 11:21 AM
Holder wrote an article about Coach Reggie Wayne covering a range of topics - a bit about last season, how Reggie is helping Pittman + Pierce, etc.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39013940/indianapolis-colts-reggie-wayne-evolving-coach

BY: Stephen Holder

INDIANAPOLIS -- Reggie Wayne loves everything about his South Florida lifestyle. He lives for the poolside cigars, the year-round sun and lazy days on the beach.

All of that makes it understandable that the former Indianapolis Colts All-Pro receiver resisted the urge to embark on a coaching career for so long after retiring following the 2015 season. It also makes it surprising that he turned down a chance to resume that sun-kissed lifestyle, even after a rocky first season coaching Indianapolis' wide receivers in 2022 -- a season that included just four wins and the firing of the coach who hired him, Frank Reich.

And, yet, Wayne very much wanted another shot.

"I had some unfinished business," Wayne said. "I really felt like I underachieved as a coach, and just felt like I can do better."

That's why when Shane Steichen was hired as the Colts' new head coach in February, Wayne welcomed the opportunity to share with Steichen his vision for how he could contribute -- so long as the new coach would have him.

One day, as Steichen was assembling his new staff, he summoned Wayne for a chat.

"He said, 'Hey, let me talk to you,'" Wayne recalled. "It was two hours later and I was like, 'Was that an interview?' I really didn't know at the time. I said, 'I hope I aced this.'"

Turns out, it was, indeed, an interview. And Steichen heard just what he needed. Now Wayne is one of just two holdovers from Reich's staff among the eight offensive assistants under Steichen. The other holdover, quality control coach Brian Bratton, is, effectively, Wayne's assistant receivers coach.

The new staff is credited with helping the Colts (7-5) climb into playoff contention. The Colts won their fourth straight Sunday, beating the Tennessee Titans 31-28 in Nashville. The game featured Michael Pittman Jr. (105 receiving yards) and Alec Pierce (100) becoming the first pair of Colts pass-catchers to eclipse 100 receiving yards in the same game in the last 10 seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The last pair of Colts pass-catchers to do so was Donte Moncrief (134) and Coby Fleener (127) against Washington in November 2014.

Pittman is the third player in franchise history to record at least 10 receptions and 100 receiving yards in consecutive games. He joins Hall-of-Famers Marvin Harrison (two straight in 2002) and Raymond Berry (two straight in 1959).

"It's a whole different transition from being a player to a coach," Steichen said. "Just the different operations, the daily operations. You can see the growth from Reggie."

Wayne, a four-time finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and a semifinalist this year, needs no introduction as a player. His 14,345 career receiving yards rank just behind Harrison's 14,580. Wayne's extraordinary postseason accomplishments make him one of the all-time playoff performers, ranking in the top 10 in postseason receptions, receiving yards and touchdown catches.

"When a guy has had that much success in this organization as a player, that carries a lot of weight," Steichen said.

But none of it guarantees success as a coach. And Wayne didn't know what he didn't know until he took the plunge.

"I got [hired] a week after the combine [in March 2022]," said Wayne, 45. "They didn't give me no damn template. They didn't give me nothing. They said, 'Here you go. Here's some film. Go evaluate these [prospects] and we'll talk about it later.' I'm like, 'Um, all right.'"

That abrupt immersion was followed by a chaotic season. The Colts finished 4-12-1, Reich was fired and former Colts center Jeff Saturday -- plucked from the ESPN's studios where he was working as an analyst -- was stunningly installed as the interim head coach. Wayne's head was left spinning.

He took some time off after the season and pondered his future. The 2001 Colts first-round pick played his college ball at Miami and has made South Florida his forever home. Wayne spent his post-NFL days relaxing in the sun and immersing himself in an ever-growing classic-car collection. Returning to it all wouldn't have been the worst thing.

But through it all, he felt like he could see indications of his impact. He helped Pittman to a career-high 99 catches last season despite playing with three different starting quarterbacks. And tutoring young players like Pierce a rookie last season, reminded Wayne of why the job appealed to him in the first place.

Pierce had the biggest day of his career on Sunday, catching three passes for 100 yards, including a 55-yard reception to set up the game-winning touchdown. It was a timely performance that came after months of Wayne imploring Pierce to stay patient despite the slow start to his career. Wayne even recalled his own experience as a player when counseling Pierce, recounting how Harrison was targeted an astounding 205 times in 2002, leaving precious few opportunities for Wayne.

"He was saying, '[Harrison] would get 15 targets a game and I might get three or four,'" Pierce said of Wayne. "So, he understands how it is, and it's been great having him in my corner to kind of talk through things."

Cato June, a former Colts linebacker and, now, the team's assistant linebackers coach, had a unique perspective on Wayne's predicament. June went into coaching soon after his career ended and has worked his way up from the high school ranks to college ball to the NFL. He's been a close friend of Wayne's for years and became a sounding board for Wayne as he began considering the idea of coaching.

Football, June said, becomes a major part of your identity when you play at a high level. Coaching, for those who are built for it, allows you to stay connected to the game in a way that few roles can.

"[Football] is a part of your whole entire life and makeup," June said. "And then when you're out of it, that's the adjustment... I think getting back into it is the easy part. Now, you're able to affect the game, but in a different way."

And Wayne is getting that chance in a broader fashion this year. Among the appealing things Steichen said was that he'd allow Wayne to have a greater voice. Wayne is happily leaning into that. That was evidenced, for example, by his strong advocacy for the Colts to draft receiver Josh Downs. The team selected him in the third round and Downs has emerged as one of this season's top rookie wideouts.

Of course, if things hadn't worked out between Wayne and Steichen, Wayne had a decent backup plan. But he's hardly disappointed that Plan A worked out.

"I just wanted him to help elevate my value," Wayne said of Steichen. "And if that wasn't part of his plan, hey, I'm going to go back and get on my boat. I just wanted to become a better teacher and I wanted him to help me with that.

"All around, I think I'm a better coach."

CletusPyle
12-05-2023, 01:27 PM
My favorite Reggie Wayne moment wasn't a great catch, it was this! Told me all I needed to know about him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_TyJUgflU

albany ed
12-05-2023, 03:28 PM
My favorite Reggie Wayne moment wasn't a great catch, it was this! Told me all I needed to know about him!

I was at that game. Monday nighter. Colts kicked ass so bad that by the 2nd half all the prime season ticket holders had left and my friend and I sat on the 50 yard line second row.

HoosierinFL
12-05-2023, 03:58 PM
I was at that game. Monday nighter. Colts kicked ass so bad that by the 2nd half all the prime season ticket holders had left and my friend and I sat on the 50 yard line second row.

Highlights from that one:
https://youtu.be/S1cn_SV-4UU?si=mkbMxrrmTISlJ3yu

I still remember that play with TY wrestling the TD catch away from the interception.

omahacolt
12-05-2023, 06:17 PM

lol that is your favorite reggie wayne moment?

that is absurd

CletusPyle
12-06-2023, 09:38 AM
lol that is your favorite reggie wayne moment?

that is absurd

Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching him play football, and if he had not been such a great player, this moment would much less impactful!:rolleyes: