PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Warner dissects Wentz's game

daedge
01-11-2022, 08:53 PM
Well worth a watch if you want to see how crap Wentz is.

It's eye-opening how bad these reads are from Wentz when the film is broken down like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPFlTsALb68&t=412s

Racehorse
01-11-2022, 08:57 PM

Thanks. I don't have to watch it to know he is crap. I had hopes, but when he folded the last two weeks, that sealed it for me, and probably for Jim Irsay, as well.

Chromeburn
01-11-2022, 09:27 PM

It's eye-opening how bad these reads are from Wentz when the film is broken down like this.

Everyone on here needs to watch this.

This is just awful. Its like he doesn't know where his progression should start and doesn't know where he should go with the ball based on defender reactions. He's a slow processor.

When you go back and look at plays, he never thinks to use his outlet receiver. He is like the opposite of Jacoby.

Puck
01-11-2022, 09:41 PM
This is just awful. Its like he doesn't know where his progression should start.

When you go back and look at plays, he never thinks to use his outlet receiver. He is like the opposite of Jacoby.

Imagine the film Ballard and Reich are going to go through. HAHA

we'll see what Ballard says this week. If he doesnt say He's our QB then we know he's gone.

Racehorse
01-11-2022, 09:45 PM
Man, that was depressing. Wentz looked like the rookie, based on Warner’s take. Like he said, Carson is too far in his career to not know where he is looking and what he is seeing.

Lov2fish
01-11-2022, 09:50 PM
I really didn't need Mr. Werner telling me what I already saw. (It was good watch though) His decision making was suspect all year. His pre snap changes were suspect most of the time. Defenses easily confused him with disguised coverages he didn't, or couldn't see. I tried hard to support the trade and him all year. It just became so unbearable.

daedge
01-11-2022, 10:18 PM
Man, that was depressing. Wentz looked like the rookie, based on Warner’s take. Like he said, Carson is too far in his career to not know where he is looking and what he is seeing.

Depressing, infuriating. You name it.

I knew he was bad and made terrible decisions, and regularly ignored JT with easy dump offs when he was wide open with acres of space in front of him, without film study, but that just took things to a whole new level.

CletusPyle
01-11-2022, 10:19 PM
I don't like Warner...any chance that Wentz beats his ass and we can get out of his contract that way?

Chromeburn
01-11-2022, 10:55 PM
Imagine the film Ballard and Reich are going to go through. HAHA

we'll see what Ballard says this week. If he doesnt say He's our QB then we know he's gone.

Ugh, I bet Reich's stomach is churning.

But my question is, did they not see this before they brought him here? Warner has a good point, at this point in his career he should know who his key read defenders are. His scanning left to right then right to left in his progressions makes me wonder WTF is going on in his head. He holds the ball too long because he can't figure out if he can throw it there. He should know he can throw it there based on his reads.

This video should put to rest the notion "Our receivers are never open!". Nope, that is not what is happening.

ChoppedWood
01-11-2022, 11:11 PM
I got an idea...

Let's throw it 26 straight times...

Much bigger problems than just the horrible QB...

Dewey 5
01-11-2022, 11:17 PM
Thanks. I don't have to watch it to know he is crap. I had hopes, but when he folded the last two weeks, that sealed it for me, and probably for Jim Irsay, as well.

People need to come to grips that this clown is going to be QB1 again next season.

Chromeburn
01-11-2022, 11:22 PM
People need to come to grips that this clown is going to be QB1 again next season.

I bet Irsay is on the phone with Peyton getting an earful.

Chromeburn
01-11-2022, 11:26 PM
I got an idea...

Let's throw it 26 straight times...

Much bigger problems than just the horrible QB...

You are like a broken record.

It's the number one problem because all offenses flow through the QB. If your QB is clueless out there nothing will work. If anything this validates that Reich's plays have guys open, Wentz is just unable to make the read and get the ball effectively to the right receiver.

ChoppedWood
01-11-2022, 11:32 PM
You are like a broken record.

It's the number one problem because all offenses flow through the QB. If your QB is clueless out there nothing will work. If anything this validates that Reich's plays have guys open, Wentz is just unable to make the read and get the ball effectively to the right receiver.

Great, so he can't do his job, so have him work a double shift...makes great sense to me.

albany ed
01-12-2022, 08:04 AM
It really demonstrates how much of the QB position is between the ears. I really wish in the Raiders game they had started Ehlinger. We already know Wentz sucks even when he's had the practice, but without it? ...

It's great to have a strong arm, but if you don't know who to throw to or how to read the defense or just too damn slow on your progression, you end up getting "Wentzed"

Brylok
01-12-2022, 12:00 PM
I really wish in the Raiders game they had started Ehlinger.

Ehlinger wouldn't have won a single game if he'd played. We have big trouble at QB.

Oldcolt
01-12-2022, 12:55 PM
Fuck Kurt Warner

ChaosTheory
01-12-2022, 01:40 PM
Everyone on here needs to watch this.

This is just awful. Its like he doesn't know where his progression should start and doesn't know where he should go with the ball based on defender reactions. He's a slow processor.

Some of these JT misses... Man. Beyond the slow/missed reads, his pocket feel is not there. Look at that bad pass to Pittman at around 15 mins...

First, it'd be nice if Glowinski wasn't having sweet love made to him by the DT... But Wentz doesn't seem to ever notice. He never seems to just drift away from the pressure for just a tiny bit of room and time. And he make a shit throw.

Chromeburn
01-12-2022, 01:42 PM
Great, so he can't do his job, so have him work a double shift...makes great sense to me.

I don't think they will. I think they have seen enough. If he comes back it is likely because they can't get a better option.

daedge
01-12-2022, 01:51 PM
Fuck Kurt Warner

No. Fuck Carson Wentz.

daedge
01-12-2022, 01:51 PM
I don't think they will. I think they have seen enough. If he comes back it is likely because they can't get a better option.

And that's almost certain.

Chromeburn
01-12-2022, 02:01 PM
Some of these JT misses... Man. Beyond the slow/missed reads, his pocket feel is not there. Look at that bad pass to Pittman at around 15 mins...

First, it'd be nice if Glowinski wasn't having sweet love made to him by the DT... But Wentz doesn't seem to ever notice. He never seems to just drift away from the pressure for just a tiny bit of room and time. And he make a shit throw.

That's one of the issues. When he scrambles, it doesn't feel like he is buying time with his legs, it feels like he is forcing and panicking a little. I watched David Mills throw a scramble TD the other day and he broke away from the line and just drifted to the flat looking for an outlet and eventually the defense broke down. He bought time with his legs and extended the play. Wentz would have run forward and shortened the distance between the nearest defender and reduced his time to throw and shortened the play. He tries to throw downfield while also running downfield, its like he can't make up his mind on what to do on any single play in almost every aspect.

And we haven't really mentioned his mechanics. If you look at his front foot in the video it is pointing 45° away from his target, hence why his throws are high. If you look at this video, they actually use Wentz as an example of good mechanics at the 14:40 mark when he was at the combine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlxDeENVvg&ab_channel=FirstDownTraining

He doesn't point at the receiver anymore. Anyone can try this out, go throw a football, but before you do, turn your lead foot away from where you are throwing and see how it messes up your accuracy. It feels unnatural.

Chromeburn
01-12-2022, 02:01 PM
And that's almost certain.

Maybe, we will see. Off-seasons have been crazy the last couple of years.

Oldcolt
01-12-2022, 02:47 PM
No. Fuck Carson Wentz.

Agreed. Both

albany ed
01-12-2022, 06:33 PM
Ehlinger wouldn't have won a single game if he'd played. We have big trouble at QB.

I was only talking about the Raiders game. You know, the one that Wentz started without any practice whatsoever for the entire week, the one where he overthrew a wide open TY Hilton, the one that the team lost. So, if Ehlinger lost that game after practicing all week with the starters, we'd all be happy to see Wentz back to fuck up the Jags game.

Lov2fish
01-12-2022, 06:50 PM
I was only talking about the Raiders game. You know, the one that Wentz started without any practice whatsoever for the entire week, the one where he overthrew a wide open TY Hilton, the one that the team lost. So, if Ehlinger lost that game after practicing all week with the starters, we'd all be happy to see Wentz back to fuck up the Jags game.

I wanted them to keep Sam as the starter since he took all the first team reps. I would like to see what he could do with the starters. Preseason he played with scrubs, but his release was much quicker then Wentz. When he made a decision he went with it, run throw or pic. He committed and didn't just look lost

Brylok
01-12-2022, 08:42 PM

Maybe Wentz is so mentally broken that having Ehlinger start even one game would create another Foles type situation. He's that mentally shot. I think they need to cut Wentz in early March so they don't have to pay him even more millions in pay and bonuses. If they keep him and bring in legitimate competition, it'll create a Foles situation. We're in a bad spot right now, and the rest of the team has more holes than a porcupine's mattress..

Hoopsdoc
01-12-2022, 09:29 PM
The guy has got to go.

ChoppedWood
01-12-2022, 09:46 PM
Tomorrow is a really big day for this franchise. Ballard's words are going to need to mean something. Presumptively given Irsay's issuance of an apology letter HE HAS TO BE to the point of telling both Ballard and Riech that Wentz MUST go--- if no reason other than to quell the rage of this fanbase, let alone because he sucks (and I was one that said he was what we needed--- and I was WRONG!).

If so, then Frank would presumably be on the firing line as well if he tries to go to the well again to support his guy. Frank better utter the statement "I was wrong, I F-d up, I agree, we have to get rid of him". If not, then you MUST send him packing as well.

We are damaged franchise in need of an overhaul and a lot of that now lays at the feet of Frank. Cut bait or cut your own head off IMO, and it should be fast- send the message that we are NOT willing to settle for this level of crap.

Puck
01-12-2022, 10:09 PM
Tomorrow is a really big day for this franchise. Ballard's words are going to need to mean something. Presumptively given Irsay's issuance of an apology letter HE HAS TO BE to the point of telling both Ballard and Riech that Wentz MUST go--- if no reason other than to quell the rage of this fanbase, let alone because he sucks (and I was one that said he was what we needed--- and I was WRONG!).

If so, then Frank would presumably be on the firing line as well if he tries to go to the well again to support his guy. Frank better utter the statement "I was wrong, I F-d up, I agree, we have to get rid of him". If not, then you MUST send him packing as well.

We are damaged franchise in need of an overhaul and a lot of that now lays at the feet of Frank. Cut bait or cut your own head off IMO, and it should be fast- send the message that we are NOT willing to settle for this level of crap.

Dude... Frank aint goin anywhere redirect your anger

Puck
01-12-2022, 10:22 PM
I wanted them to keep Sam as the starter since he took all the first team reps. I would like to see what he could do with the starters. Preseason he played with scrubs, but his release was much quicker then Wentz. When he made a decision he went with it, run throw or pic. He committed and didn't just look lost

I could not imagine the FIRE FRANK threads on here if Sam would have played like Wentz did and lost

"should have played Wentz ...."

I was on the Wentz bandwagon but now drifting off. Something about the guy after watching Hard Knocks makes me feel he is different in a weird way. I also see what Rivers did last yr and can COMPLETELY dismiss Chopped's rants Frank can't coach Not sure Wentz has the stuff

That saying. I'd rather give him a yr since were paying him anyway and start looking. Unless Rogers is available.

I dont want any part of Wilson. He's a dick and and diva Fuck him Rather have JB.

ZionsvilleColtsFan
01-12-2022, 11:05 PM

Is Warner available for QB job?

ChoppedWood
01-12-2022, 11:25 PM
Dude... Frank aint goin anywhere redirect your anger

Of course he isn't, but something has to change. We cannot "run it back" ala the Pacers current ocean of mediocrity.

After the way things went the final 2 weeks, it should just a be a ballot process. Each guy gets one entering the facility, two boxes: Keep Wentz, Dump Wentz. Those that check option 1, get canned too.

ChoppedWood
01-12-2022, 11:29 PM
I could not imagine the FIRE FRANK threads on here if Sam would have played like Wentz did and lost

I was on the Wentz bandwagon but now drifting off. Something about the guy after watching Hard Knocks makes me feel he is different in a weird way. I also see what Rivers did last yr and can COMPLETELY dismiss Chopped's rants Frank can't coach Not sure Wentz has the stuff

That saying. I'd rather give him a yr since were paying him anyway and start looking. Unless Rogers is available.

I dont want any part of Wilson. He's a dick and and diva Fuck him Rather have JB.
Man I heard something today, think it was Dacich- talking about how they would do a Nelson and Leonard for Wilson straight up.... WHAT?

Dude is 32, had a finger that was mutilated and sure appears to be an about Wilson type guy, uhhhh no.

Puck
01-13-2022, 12:16 AM
man i heard something today, think it was dacich- talking about how they would do a nelson and leonard for wilson straight up.... What?

Dude is 32, had a finger that was mutilated and sure appears to be an about wilson type guy, uhhhh no.

fuck wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chromeburn
01-13-2022, 12:32 AM

I saw this on Twitter. I think a bad QB is just a bad QB. Coaching isn’t some magical fix all. Need players to be able to execute first.

https://i.ibb.co/VjTk5t6/D588-EDDA-1329-4915-957-E-8-CF31946-D89-B.jpg (https://ibb.co/QbMxtf0)

Chromeburn
01-13-2022, 03:38 AM
Gardner Minshew anyone? Throws with anticipation. Accurate. Sees the field.

One more thing, he hates the Jaguars, so he will always be up for that game.

https://youtu.be/PBHN3dflVyM

CletusPyle
01-13-2022, 08:21 AM
Maybe the Colts need to hire Kurt Warner as a consultant before they decide who to bring in to compete for the QB job next season....do we really want just Reich and Ballard making that decision considering how much they gave up for Wentz and were convinced he was worth it?

albany ed
01-13-2022, 09:46 AM
Man I heard something today, think it was Dacich- talking about how they would do a Nelson and Leonard for Wilson straight up.... WHAT?

Dude is 32, had a finger that was mutilated and sure appears to be an about Wilson type guy, uhhhh no.

I might consider it for just Nelson. He's about to become very, very expensive.

Drewtone
01-13-2022, 10:46 AM

I haven't lived in Indy for a long-ass time, but I listened to Dakich a bit here and there over the summer.... when did that fucker go off the deep end? And is he buddies with Grigson or something?

ChoppedWood
01-13-2022, 10:59 AM
I haven't lived in Indy for a long-ass time, but I listened to Dakich a bit here and there over the summer.... when did that fucker go off the deep end? And is he buddies with Grigson or something?

I don't think there is any doubt there's some kind of kick back thing going on with Grigson. Maybe he's been promised some position in the next organization Grigson soils, who knows, but yeah it's way over the top.

Chromeburn
01-13-2022, 11:14 AM

He’s a tool. More concerned with stroking his ego. Knows next to nothing about football. Keeps pushing the Grigson narrative because I think he has a hard on for Ballard. I’ll listen to him about basketball but tune him out on football. It’s fine when you need someone to be devils advocate, Dakich will say the stuff no one is Reich should be fired/Wentz sucks etc. But if you listened to him the team would be the Giants looking for a head coach every couple years. He’s mostly just pissed bc they turn down the majority of his interview requests, but when they do go on he kisses ass. If I need a bad idea I’ll go to Dakich.

Hoopsdoc
01-13-2022, 02:06 PM

I would actually rather bring in Minshew and have him compete with Ehlinger than roll another year with Wentz.

daedge
01-13-2022, 04:51 PM
I wish Reich would cut out the painful "climbing the mountain" cliches.

rcubed
01-13-2022, 05:01 PM
it was probably his theme for the year. probably will be something new next year.

ChoppedWood
01-13-2022, 06:20 PM
This is a good article on the Wentz quandry:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sounds-like-the-colts-recognize-their-carson-wentz-mistake-but-moving-on-is-tricky-205538390.html

My favorite line:
And most of all, Wentz had a penchant for making things more complicated than they had to be in the offense, either failing to embrace the simple plays or simply choosing to force bad decisions. So much so that the Eagles' internal data on dropped interceptions placed Wentz amongst the NFL’s worst when it came to that category.

It is kind of crazy how many he got away with this year. He could have had FAR worse TO stats than he did--- but for being lucky.

Man if they go forward with him, Jim is going to have to find some creative ways to sell tix because people are fed up with trash and have far more entertainment opportunities with every passing year.

CletusPyle
01-13-2022, 07:06 PM

I would suggest he use "chopping wood"!

HoosierinFL
01-13-2022, 07:15 PM
I don't think there is any doubt there's some kind of kick back thing going on with Grigson. Maybe he's been promised some position in the next organization Grigson soils, who knows, but yeah it's way over the top.

I'm sure its pretty simple. Dakich played under Knight who was a raging asshole but successful, and thus he believes that you have to be a raging asshole to be good in sports. So Dakich is an asshole, and thinks anyone who is a raging asshole must really be good at what they do, and anyone who can't stand them is probably just to weak to cut it. Hence Grigson = good, and that both the Colts and the Hoosiers will stink until some raging assholes get put back in charge.

IndyNorm
01-13-2022, 10:55 PM
I didn't watch the whole thing, but the most glaring thing from what I saw (other than Wentz is a total dumbass) was how wide open JT/Hines was on every play Warner reviewed. Hitting the RB out of the backfield in stride was something Rivers was great at, and led to a lot of big plays in '20. We really need to get back to more of that.

Chromeburn
01-13-2022, 11:12 PM
I didn't watch the whole thing, but the most glaring thing from what I saw (other than Wentz is a total dumbass) was how wide open JT/Hines was on every play Warner reviewed. Hitting the RB out of the backfield in stride was something Rivers was great at, and led to a lot of big plays in '20. We really need to get back to more of that.

It is asinine that we didn't throw to them more. Hines was criminally underused. JT with a full head of steam is a virtual first down. I really think Wentz cost us a playoff berth.

rcubed
01-14-2022, 12:03 AM
Watching this reminded me of the same type of video showing trent richardson making the wrong decision almost every run.

ChaosTheory
01-14-2022, 12:26 AM
It is asinine that we didn't throw to them more. Hines was criminally underused. JT with a full head of steam is a virtual first down. I really think Wentz cost us a playoff berth.

The "layups" Ballard mentioned. The downstream effect of hitting some of those would've been huge.

Chromeburn
01-14-2022, 12:40 AM
The "layups" Ballard mentioned. The downstream effect of hitting some of those would've been huge.

Just simply connecting passes and sustaining drives. We would have had a very bad year if JT had not emerged.

Racehorse
01-14-2022, 07:35 AM

Those, plus the miss to a wide open TY was a missed layup.

Colts And Orioles
01-14-2022, 08:02 AM
Those, plus the miss to a wide open TY was a missed lay-up.

o

https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-24-2017/I2Aqs3.gif

o

CletusPyle
01-14-2022, 08:11 AM
o

https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-24-2017/I2Aqs3.gif

o

I was at that game....that one hurt!

Colts And Orioles
01-14-2022, 08:47 AM
I was at that game ...... that one hurt !!!

o

If Miller had gone for the dunk instead of the lay-up, he might have had a 3-point play ...... one of the many "what-ifs" in sports history.

o

Chromeburn
01-14-2022, 02:25 PM

More press for Minshew. Ballard said he wonders who the next Brady is and who will get him.

https://medium.com/kicks-n-cleats/the-underrated-quarterback-no-one-talks-about-8f8e63610590

rcubed
01-14-2022, 02:55 PM
I wouldnt mind minshew next season.

I was on board with the wentz trade, but would probably just cut loses at this point.

DragonTails
01-14-2022, 03:26 PM
Maybe they can trade Wentz back to Philly after this weekend. lol

He should have just dumped the ball off to JT all game. I've been saying that for weeks.

Puck
01-14-2022, 06:54 PM
So I finally sat and watched this. WOW. Can Kurt still play??? This tells me that ANY QB the Colts bring in. I care less about anything than brains.

In my crazy back of my mind when you sort through it all.... I think when Frank made the call to Rivers when Wentz had Covid. he almost hoped Rivers would say YES and then he had a reason to bench Wentz for the playoffs.

With Rivers we win BOTH of the last games. And probably both blow outs

Puck
01-14-2022, 11:57 PM
I look back at this season. And with Rivers. We may be undefeated.

Discflinger
01-15-2022, 12:00 AM
I love what you say

Discflinger
01-15-2022, 12:09 AM
I saw Spiders Mans and the laughing was more than the moning. Felt sorry for the everyone. They went to the sellout.

Discflinger
01-15-2022, 12:10 AM
Phillip was our man. Two times.

Dam8610
01-15-2022, 12:59 AM

Disagree, his arm was gone. He probably would've been better than Wentz, but not by a whole lot.

Puck
01-15-2022, 01:24 AM
Disagree, his arm was gone. He probably would've been better than Wentz, but not by a whole lot.

We are gonna disagree on this and that is fine....

Rivers had exceptional knowledge of the game. Maning like knowledge

The RB and short passing game would have killed most teams.

And Rivers was top 10 in long ball passes ( correct me if I'm wrong)

Rivers would have torn this schedule apart

Discflinger
01-15-2022, 03:43 AM
Yep. I apologize for drunk posting, but, meh.

rm1369
01-15-2022, 08:37 AM

No way. Especially with the early injuries along the line and lack of pass rush. They make the playoffs with Rivers though.

Racehorse
01-15-2022, 09:45 AM
I saw Spiders Mans and the laughing was more than the moning. Felt sorry for the everyone. They went to the sellout.

English, please

omahacolt
01-15-2022, 10:35 AM
Yep. I apologize for drunk posting, but, meh.
never apologize for drunk posting buddy

Puck
01-15-2022, 11:43 AM
No way. Especially with the early injuries along the line and lack of pass rush. They make the playoffs with Rivers though.

We were in every game. With Rivers on a second yr there would have much less adjustment on offense.

I'd love to see Warner break down all of Wentz's games I would bet he was bad in most of them.

Just saying. Rivers is 10 times the QB that Wentz is right now.

Hopefully they get him fixed

Oldcolt
01-15-2022, 12:13 PM
Puck, do you think that they will try to 'fix' Wentz? I think that is the most likely outcome this year. With all we have invested in him there will be a lot of pressure to try one more year. One thing that bothers me is that, as far as I know, not one teammate has spoken out in support of Wentz. To me that is very telling. Sucks

Puck
01-15-2022, 12:25 PM
Puck, do you think that they will try to 'fix' Wentz? I think that is the most likely outcome this year. With all we have invested in him there will be a lot of pressure to try one more year. One thing that bothers me is that, as far as I know, not one teammate has spoken out in support of Wentz. To me that is very telling. Sucks

I think that is the plan. Only because I don't see better option out there without using multiple 1st round picks. And we don't have one this yr, I am am pretty sure you cannot trade beyond 2 yrs. So we only have a 1st next yr since we don't have one this yr

There is a chance that Carr will come available. If so Ballard needs to go after him aggressively

Oldcolt
01-15-2022, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately Puck, I agree with you. If he is fixable it will be such a miracle I may need to convert to Christianity.

omahacolt
01-16-2022, 12:47 PM
We were in every game. With Rivers on a second yr there would have much less adjustment on offense.

I'd love to see Warner break down all of Wentz's games I would bet he was bad in most of them.

hopefully they get him cut

Chromeburn
01-16-2022, 06:18 PM

Stampede blue did a stat analysis after each week. They are pretty good. Basically they don’t paint a pretty picture. Inconsistent at best is how I would describe it.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/stats-and-stats-i-hate

JAFF
01-16-2022, 06:59 PM
never apologize for drunk posting buddy

Those are his best posts

Puck
01-16-2022, 07:56 PM
hopefully they get him cut

If they have a better option that makes sense then yes of course

Oldcolt
01-17-2022, 12:07 AM
I fear we are stuck with this fool (Wentz) for at least one more year. Options are limited. I had always thought it was a two year deal. I just didn't think he would end up getting shittier as the year went on. I think we sign Fisher for one more year. I saw him as a two year deal with his pass blocking coming back the second year. If I remember many people felt it would take a full year to get the quickness and explosiveness back that is needed to effectively pass block.

Drewtone
01-17-2022, 11:45 AM
Hey, maybe if we get all that extra OTA work this year, just spend three weeks running nothing but check-down plays.... couldn't hurt.

Chromeburn
01-17-2022, 01:28 PM
Hey, maybe if we get all that extra OTA work this year, just spend three weeks running nothing but check-down plays.... couldn't hurt.

Check downs happen when you get to the end of your progression. We could take all the wr off the field so he is forced to check down. But he might just keep looking forward scanning back and forth.

Puck
01-17-2022, 03:24 PM
Check downs happen when you get to the end of your progression. We could take all the wr off the field so he is forced to check down. But he might just keep looking forward scanning back and forth.

Or just restructure his contract to include most of his salary dependent on completion percentage

Racehorse
01-17-2022, 03:45 PM
Or just restructure his contract to include most of his salary dependent on completion percentage

Or YAC

Colts And Orioles
01-17-2022, 03:51 PM
Or just restructure his contract to include most of his salary dependent on completion percentage.

o

Or better yet, restructure the contract to have his salary dependent on team wins.

In 1994, the 49ers signed Rickey Jackson to a free-agent contract that had a base salary of $162,000 and a potential bonus of $838,000 ...... without the bonus, Jackson would have had to settle for that $162,000. With the bonus, Jackson would have been paid $1 Million overall.

And what was the bonus clause in Jackson's contract ??? If the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl, then Jackson would get his bonus which was more than 5 times his base salary. The 49ers won the NFC Championship that year, and Jackson got his bonus ...... if you want to see somebody be a team player, then tie up all of his bonus/incentive money into something like that and he'll be the biggest team player in the history of professional sports.

o

Oldcolt
01-17-2022, 07:55 PM
Wentz already folds under any perceived pressure. He would crumble under the pressure of his check depending on wins. I'm betting he wouldn't respond well. He needs to go play for another team.

Colts And Orioles
01-18-2022, 09:01 AM
Wentz already folds under any perceived pressure. He would crumble under the pressure of his check depending on wins. I'm betting he wouldn't respond well. He needs to go play for another team.

o

I don't think that it would help, either ...... I just couldn't resist when I saw the opportunity to tell my Rickey Jackson story about him getting a bonus of more than 5 times his base salary for his team making it to the Super Bowl.

o

Chromeburn
01-22-2022, 11:46 PM

I would go with CPOE because he gets a lot of garbage time completions.

CletusPyle
01-23-2022, 10:07 AM
Just in case it turns out there is no better option for the Colts, is there someone the Colts could bring in as a consultant to work with Wentz the entire off season...maybe it is not too late to salvage his career if he is willing to work his ass off and make the necessary changes!

Racehorse
01-23-2022, 02:47 PM
Just in case it turns out there is no better option for the Colts, is there someone the Colts could bring in as a consultant to work with Wentz the entire off season...maybe it is not too late to salvage his career if he is willing to work his ass off and make the necessary changes!

I have seen all kinds of "experts" who claim they see the flaws in his mechanics online. Maybe we can hire one of them real cheap, as they are not employed by any NFL team yet.

YDFL Commish
01-23-2022, 07:17 PM

I think it's the pre-snap reads that Wentz has a problem with. The great QB's have 2 plans in their heads at the LOS, and therefor immediately check down. Basically, by the time the ball is in their hands they know where they are going with it.

This is not Wentz. He has to see the play develop before deciding where to go with the ball. He makes our O-Line look much worse at pass blocking then they actually are. Although they were admittedly terrible vs the Jags.

JAFF
01-23-2022, 07:35 PM
I think it's the pre-snap reads that Wentz has a problem with. The great QB's have 2 plans in their heads at the LOS, and therefor immediately check down. Basically, by the time the ball is in their hands they know where they are going with it.

This is not Wentz. He has to see the play develop before deciding where to go with the ball. He makes our O-Line look much worse at pass blocking then they actually are. Although they were admittedly terrible vs the Jags.

The colts could run the ball against the jags, the o line sucked that last game. Johnny U couldnt fix that game

Chromeburn
01-23-2022, 07:42 PM

A reporter asked Reich if Wentz is doing pre snap reads out there and I believe Reich said no. He reads one man for RPO’s, but I’m not sure he knows what defender to read on regular plays. Like what route to choose based on the defenders reaction.

Rick Venturi called him the guy who was always the best athlete on the field so he never had to learn that stuff. He would run around like it’s playground ball and always made the plays he needed to. He always outperformed them. I played with guys like that. Didn’t put in the effort to maximize their athletiscm.

What concerns me is there doesn’t seem to be growth or learning over the years. He is who he is.

YDFL Commish
01-23-2022, 09:44 PM
A reporter asked Reich if Wentz is doing pre snap reads out there and I believe Reich said no. He reads one man for RPO’s, but I’m not sure he knows what defender to read on regular plays. Like what route to choose based on the defenders reaction.

Rick Venturi called him the guy who was always the best athlete on the field so he never had to learn that stuff. He would run around like it’s playground ball and always made the plays he needed to. He always outperformed them. I played with guys like that. Didn’t put in the effort to maximize their athletiscm.

What concerns me is there doesn’t seem to be growth or learning over the years. He is who he is.

Kinda my take as well. He's like the anti-Rivers. Or for that mat the anti-Peyton. Those guys were the best at prey snap reads.

kitekrazy
01-24-2022, 02:42 PM
I have seen all kinds of "experts" who claim they see the flaws in his mechanics online. Maybe we can hire one of them real cheap, as they are not employed by any NFL team yet.

There are plenty of experts but somehow a 300lb lineman coming at you can create a memory lapse.

The few times I seen Wentz he can throw in a pocket. Might be better on a rollout.

kitekrazy
01-24-2022, 02:44 PM
Kinda my take as well. He's like the anti-Rivers. Or for that mat the anti-Peyton. Those guys were the best at prey snap reads.

I think we are getting closer to an era without franchise QBs.

Chromeburn
01-24-2022, 04:54 PM
There are plenty of experts but somehow a 300lb lineman coming at you can create a memory lapse.

The few times I seen Wentz he can throw in a pocket. Might be better on a rollout.

Joe Burrow has ice water in his veins. I don’t think those sacks affected him at all. Just kept going at them.

Wentz can throw a pretty ball on the run. But he also seems to make his worst decisions on the run. Like really dumb decisions. I don’t think the guy is salvageable. Josh Allen goes to the same trainer that Pittman does in the off-season. If I saw some kinda effort out of Wentz that he was working to correct his mistakes in the off-season. I might be inclined to see him for another season. But he is probably out hunting. Dude doesn’t see anything wrong with his game.

Brylok
01-25-2022, 07:05 PM
If I saw some kinda effort out of Wentz that he was working to correct his mistakes in the off-season. I might be inclined to see him for another season. But he is probably out hunting. Dude doesn’t see anything wrong with his game.

I went to one of the Eagles fan forums (don't remember which one) after the Jacksonville loss and someone had posted almost this exact same statement there. This is apparently a known trait of Wentz. He doesn't see anything he needs to correct.

YDFL Commish
01-25-2022, 08:01 PM
I went to one of the Eagles fan forums (don't remember which one) after the Jacksonville loss and someone had posted almost this exact same statement there. This is apparently a known trait of Wentz. He doesn't see anything he needs to correct.

So, in other words, he's not that much different than Jeff George.

Mr. Session
01-26-2022, 05:41 AM
I went to one of the Eagles fan forums (don't remember which one) after the Jacksonville loss and someone had posted almost this exact same statement there.

Masochism.

albany ed
01-26-2022, 09:05 AM
We're probably stuck with Wentz for next season. It's too bad Reich can't get it through his head that preparation is the key to his success. Very few QBs can process on the run. That's what makes Mahomes so damn good. In the pre-snap, he's prepared, if all hell breaks loose, he keeps his cool and usually does something incredible. Wentz like most QBs, can't do that, that's not learnable, that's God given talent. He can be more prepared, that's on him and if he is our QB next year and we see more of the same, cut him loose.

Oldcolt
01-26-2022, 11:16 AM
It is totally learnable. You think Manning rolled out of bed able to do pre snap reads? It was preparation, he said it himself many many times. Not all QBs will be a Manning, but they all can get a hell of a lot better. Wentz thinks he is fine, at least he did t sound like a QB who took blame in his presser. We need to win in spite of the asshole, a tall order. I agree he is our guy next year. Shitty

Colts And Orioles
01-26-2022, 01:06 PM
It is totally learn-able. You think Manning rolled out of bed one day, and was instantly able to do pre-snap reads ??? It was preparation, he said it himself many many times. Not all QBs will be a Manning, but they all can get a hell of a lot better. Wentz thinks he is fine, at least he didn't sound like a QB who took blame in his presser. We need to win in spite of the asshole, a tall order. I agree that he is our guy next year ...... shitty.

o

This is somewhat reminiscent of the Beatles, who toiled for more than 2 years in the grungy, dilapidated clubs of Hamburg, Glasgow, and Liverpool before their ascension to stardom in 1963 and 1964. They would perform in those clubs for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week for food money. Quite often, they were eating corn flakes and milk 3 times a day.

Their level of success in the music world was one-in-a-million, but it sure as hell wasn't as simple as buying a lottery ticket and getting lucky.

o

CletusPyle
01-26-2022, 08:11 PM
o

This is somewhat reminiscent of the Beatles, who toiled for more than 2 years in the grungy, dilapidated clubs of Hamburg, Glasgow, and Liverpool before their ascension to stardom in 1963 and 1964. They would perform in those clubs for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week for food money. Quite often, they were eating corn flakes and milk 3 times a day.

Their level of success in the music world was one-in-a-million, but it sure as hell wasn't as simple as buying a lottery ticket and getting lucky.

o

Still love the Beatles!

Oldcolt
01-29-2022, 11:09 AM
Multiple reports that if Brady retires the Bucs may want to trade for Wentz. I've also read that Green Bay may be interested. If you can recoup a second do we do it and if we do who is our QB? I had always felt Wentz was a two year deal with us and up to the last two games was pretty ok with that. He shit the bed so bad, especially against Jacksonville, it changed most of our minds

Puck
01-29-2022, 11:28 AM
Multiple reports that if Brady retires the Bucs may want to trade for Wentz. I've also read that Green Bay may be interested. If you can recoup a second do we do it and if we do who is our QB? I had always felt Wentz was a two year deal with us and up to the last two games was pretty ok with that. He shit the bed so bad, especially against Jacksonville, it changed most of our minds

Please list the reports. Was one of them fro "the onion"?

Discflinger
01-29-2022, 11:42 AM
Bill Barnwall ESPN clickbait.

IndyNorm
01-29-2022, 11:45 AM

If we can get an early round draft pick you absolutely do it and probably even if you get a late rounder. Getting to dump his $15M dead cap hit, which would put us $55M under the projected cap, is enough of a reason to make the move. Picking up a draft pick would be icing on the cake.

Colts And Orioles
01-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Multiple reports say that if Brady retires, the Bucs may want to trade for Wentz. I've also read that Green Bay may be interested. If we can recoup a 2nd-round draft pick, do we do it ??? And if we d, o who is our new starting QB ??? I had always felt that Wentz was a 2-year deal with us, and up until the last 2 games I was pretty OK with that ...... but then he shit the bed so bad in those final 2 games (especially against Jacksonville), it changed most of our minds.

Please list the reports ...... are one of them from "The Onion"?

o

1) ) Aaron Rodgers

2) ) Russell Wilson

3) ) Deshaun Watson

4) ) Jameis Winston

5) ) Kirk Cousins

6) ) Jalen Hurts

7) ) Jimmy Garoppolo

8) ) Carson Wentz

9) ) Tua Tagovailoa

Who Could Be Behind Door No. 2 for the Bucs ???

(By Rick Stroud)

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2022/01/28/who-could-be-behind-door-no-2-for-the-bucs/

o

JAFF
01-29-2022, 01:06 PM
Please list the reports. Was one of them fro "the onion"?

How do you trade wentz without anyone else on the roster?

ChoppedWood
01-29-2022, 02:03 PM

You ask a guy in the stands to take his spot, that guy without any practice and no physical training would already be more ready to throw the ball on time than Wentz. It's reached a point, you can't run it back. If for nothing else Jim can't run it back due to the overwhelming vitriol coming out of the fan base. People will start wearing brown paper bags next year, or worse yet, pretending to be invisible if Wentz is still hear next year. He MUST go.

Oldcolt
01-29-2022, 02:32 PM

My view will not be popular (ChoppedWood I'm looking at you) but at this point I think we should roll with Wentz next year. First, I always looked at this as a two year deal, with Wentz not reaching his potential with us until the second year. Second, JAFF your point about nobody else being on the roster is well taken by me. Third, I don't believe we are one QB away from competing for the Super Bowl. We need a pass rush, our defensive backs are not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination, we don't have enough weapons on offensive (and don't use the ones we have-Hines). Our offensive line completely sucked in pass blocking and we are about to replace our entire (almost) defensive coaching staff. Roger/Wilson (the main guys people seem to want) are both sitting home watching the playoffs. They were incapable of doing it with their current teams and I see nothing in our roster that would indicate that the exact same thing would not happen here. On top of all of this there is a kind of insanity to changing your QB each and every year, continuity is needed to win consistently. Wentz is a knucklehead. Knuckleheads can win in the NFL.

ChoppedWood
01-29-2022, 02:43 PM
My view will not be popular (ChoppedWood I'm looking at you) but at this point I think we should roll with Wentz next year. First, I always looked at this as a two year deal, with Wentz not reaching his potential with us until the second year. Second, JAFF your point about nobody else being on the roster is well taken by me. Third, I don't believe we are one QB away from competing for the Super Bowl. We need a pass rush, our defensive backs are not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination, we don't have enough weapons on offensive (and don't use the ones we have-Hines). Our offensive line completely sucked in pass blocking and we are about to replace our entire (almost) defensive coaching staff. Roger/Wilson (the main guys people seem to want) are both sitting home watching the playoffs. They were incapable of doing it with their current teams and I see nothing in our roster that would indicate that the exact same thing would not happen here. On top of all of this there is a kind of insanity to changing your QB each and every year, continuity is needed to win consistently. Wentz is a knucklehead. Knuckleheads can win in the NFL.

I was firmly in his corner until Jax. Even the Raiders game I sort of attached to the whole team being overly confident and just sort of taking one for granted. After Jax, I just can't see them keeping him. That's an ALL-TIME stinker and you can tell Jim is super ticked. To me, Jim is so ticked that someone among the three of Ballard, Reich, and Wentz has to hit the street and I don't see him parting with either of the first 2. IMO that tweet from the other night was a rather Irsayesque way of telling Frank and Chris it's their job to get a better QB in here STAT and that he feels like he was whamboozled with the pitch of Wentz being a solid rehab project and he wants to see action NOW. Good for him because I am heading towards a landing spot that Ballard and Reich are Grigs and Chuck 2.0 - which sucks! We appear to be in year 5 of a 55 year rebuild. Seeing the Rams do what they have done, gonna shoot their shot for the Lombardi tomorrow and we didn't even get in the derby, I think Irsay is going to demand Wentz be removed to set a clear tone for EVERYONE in the org that things better change and they better change quick.

Oldcolt
01-29-2022, 02:58 PM
I get being pissed after the Jax game. How about being pissed that Kelly was the third worst center in the league in pass blocking (he also was that before his tragedy) or that we were like 30th in pass blocking. Overall our defense was ok but we sucked on 3rd downs and really sucked in the 4th quarter. Whoever is our QB next year it won't be a 'franchise' QB and even if it was we had one for two decades and got one Super Bowl our of it. The two we won we had a mediocre QB (against Dallas Unitas was a shell of himself and nobody would claim Earl Morrall was a frachise QB, we beat Chicago in a freaking downpour where QB play was minimized). And as for the Jax game, if the freaking defense had not let a rookie QB walk down the field and gain confidence immediately who knows how things would have turned out. Wentz was shit, I don't like him at all but you need to get rid of almost the entire team if you want to clean house of people who shit the bed in Jacksonville. I'm not claiming this is a good option, but to me it sucks less than the alternatives. Not happy at all where we are.

IndyNorm
01-29-2022, 04:12 PM
It wasn't just the Jagoffs game. Wentz was for the most part really bad over the last 10 games of the season (I put a nice summary of each of those games in the Wentz or Darnold thread). His shitty play was just overshadowed by a great run game and a win streak.

A good QB would make a lot of our offensive woes go away. Wentz sucks at pre-snap reads, his pocket presence is horrible, and he also sucks at his progressions which makes him hold onto the ball for far too long. A QB who was good at those things would make a world of difference in our pass blocking.

Also, while we do need to upgrade our receivers, our current ones aren't that bad as evidenced in Warner's analysis. Wentz is just too fucking stupid to throw the ball to open receivers. And when by chance he does throw to an open receiver it's usually high or behind them, never leading them. Again, a QB who actually throws to open receivers and is capable of leading them with their throws will make a world of difference.

Maybe going after an ageing franchise QB right now isn't the best move, but if we can get somewhat at least decent then we'd probably at least win the division and be solidly in the playoffs.

Oldcolt
01-29-2022, 04:23 PM
Good write up, you make a good argument for dumping him. I think there is an equally good argument for giving it another year-neither one excites me. We find ourselves stuck in a river a shit without any paddle because we decided to roll with Wentz.

kitekrazy
01-29-2022, 07:31 PM
Colts got their stud QBs by being really bad. It's all about timing.

Mediocre and below mediocre is hard to get out of. The Colts are there.

Plus we would have no idea how the coaching would work out.

Manning and Luck didn't spend their 1st season holding a clipboard. I don't know if that trend of sitting a rookie QB actually works. It is different when they are a backup to a stud QB.