PDA

View Full Version : Question on "Dead Cap Space"

Drewtone
01-11-2022, 11:29 AM
Folks -

Just thinking about the reason why we're convinced that we're stuck with Carson because of the $15M we'd eat in dead cap space if we let him go...

When Luck retired, keep in mind that Irsay let him keep the ~$14M that could've been reclaimed by the team.... this was to keep the possibility of a return open. Am I assuming correctly that this $14M was on the cap effectively as dead space as well? Dead space because he never came back.

I guess I'm getting at the fact that we cannot assume that Irsay wouldn't allow us to take the hit if he thought we needed to.

CletusPyle
01-11-2022, 11:44 AM
This is a pretty good article on the Salary Cap and "dead cap space".....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/salary-cap-101-explaining-dead-money-and-the-nfl-salary-cap/ar-BB1dWOri

Dewey 5
01-11-2022, 01:27 PM
As long as Ballard leaves the next GM cap room to do what needs to be done is all I care about.

Dam8610
01-11-2022, 02:01 PM
Folks -

Just thinking about the reason why we're convinced that we're stuck with Carson because of the $15M we'd eat in dead cap space if we let him go...

When Luck retired, keep in mind that Irsay let him keep the ~$14M that could've been reclaimed by the team.... this was to keep the possibility of a return open. Am I assuming correctly that this $14M was on the cap effectively as dead space as well? Dead space because he never came back.

I guess I'm getting at the fact that we cannot assume that Irsay wouldn't allow us to take the hit if he thought we needed to.

A $15 million cap hit is if you give him a post June 1 designation, meaning he'd count $15 million against the cap in 2022 AND 2023. His dead money for 2022 is actually $30 million. That is why he will be the starting QB in 2022. His dead money hit in 2023 is $0, which means if he isn't good in 2022, he's gone. When the trade was made, it was obviously a 2 year experiment, having the potential to give up a 1 and the dead money situation made that obvious. Year 1 indicates the experiment probably won't work out. We'll see what happens Year 2, but there's no obligation for a Year 3 if it doesn't work.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
01-11-2022, 02:02 PM
Folks -

Luck's dead cap hit for the 2019 NFL season was more than that number.

His dead cap hit was a combination of:

$12M Roster Bonus
$6M+ prorated portion of Signing Bonus

The final cap hit was between $18 - 19M for 2019.

Dam8610
01-11-2022, 02:46 PM
Luck's dead cap hit for the 2019 NFL season was more than that number.

His dead cap hit was a combination of:

$12M Roster Bonus
$6M+ prorated portion of Signing Bonus

The final cap hit was between $18 - 19M for 2019.

Which is way less than $30 million.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
01-11-2022, 03:24 PM
Which is way less than $30 million.

And it was more than $14M - which is what I was indicating.

Ironshaft
01-11-2022, 03:53 PM
Carson Wentz 2022 Cap Hit =

$22.000m in 2022 salary (of which $15m is fully guaranteed)
$06.294m in 2022 roster bonus to be paid on the 3rd day of the NFL year
=======
$28.294m cap hit if he is on the roster

The Colts are either paying him $28.3m of cap space to play for us or $15.0m of cap space to go be on someone else's roster. It is that simple.

Of course, the question is, can the Colts find someone else with that extra $13.3m in now free cap space that can give us the same or better level of performance that Carson did in 2021? I have no idea what the answer to that question is.