PDA

View Full Version : Home much blame should be placed on the O line?

JAFF
01-10-2022, 06:49 PM
The Colts couldnt run the ball last Sunday, and they should shoulder 1/2 the blame for the sacks and hurries by an average at best Jags defense.

Wentz wasnt great,but I feel the O Line sucked, and are getting off light from the fans and press

Racehorse
01-10-2022, 06:58 PM
Hard to quantify. Was Reich calling bad plays, or was Wentz checking out of them into bad plays? Was Wentz not seeing the mismatches, or did the line not give him enough time to spot them? Were the WRs not getting open, or were they open on the wrong side of the field for Wentz to throw to them? I would say you have to split them blame equally between the line and Wentz, with a touch of blame on the WRs and on Frank.

rcubed
01-10-2022, 07:01 PM
The Colts couldnt run the ball last Sunday, and they should shoulder 1/2 the blame for the sacks and hurries by an average at best Jags defense.

Wentz wasnt great,but I feel the O Line sucked, and are getting off light from the fans and press
nah. it was a total team collapse and most know it.

wentz's performance was just the exclamation on his continued decrease towards the end of the season.

Chromeburn
01-10-2022, 07:13 PM

Whole team was to blame for the loss. Stars did nothing. Wentz was supposed to be the reason we won games like this and he can't do it.

JAFF
01-10-2022, 07:43 PM
Whole team was to blame for the loss. Stars did nothing. Wentz was supposed to be the reason we won games like this and he can't do it.

From where I was sitting (on my couch) Wentz was getting moved off his spot by a D line that isnt very good

Brylok
01-10-2022, 08:46 PM

To beat the Colts, just stack the box and contain Taylor as best you can and make Wentz throw it. He can't carry a team. Secure the ball on offense to prevent the Colts defense from creating turnovers. Collect your win.

Oldcolt
01-10-2022, 08:49 PM
This team is constructed for the line to dominate. That is what Ballard said he wanted to do and that is where he spent money and draft capital. It bombed, for two games. Plenty of blame to go around but these are the guys that are counted on to set the tone for our team, they didn't. Question for them is why?

Brylok
01-10-2022, 09:07 PM
I'll also add this: we never get accurate injury information from the Colts going back to Peyton's neck surgery days. Never. So if those guys and Wentz had actual coronavirus, well, that shit drains your energy and you don't get back to normal for days and days. I had it last January and even after I was at home for two weeks and then tested negative, I still had issues here and there with fatigue. One of my bosses had it and he would get winded walking a flight of stairs. So if that was the case, no wonder they looked dead on their feet the last couple of weeks. But we'll never know, because the Colts.

Lov2fish
01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
A perfect QBR is 100, Average is 50. Wentz was a 4.4 The line was shit for certain, but he did his usual overthrow, underthrow and hang onto the ball far to long. The talking heads talk about his low interception rate. They obviously have not watched any film to see the 75 other pics the defenders dropped or just had hands of stone. He got bailed out a lot this year by the defenders who should picked him clean.

I supported the trade and was doing my best to get on board with it, but Lord have mercy he made it difficult by midseason, and had me chewing a huge plate of crow by this past Sunday. He is a horrible decision maker with the ball.

ChoppedWood
01-10-2022, 09:41 PM
This is a really good thread.

The OL has been bad at pass blocking all season. What we can never know is, as has been pointed out, the calls that are being made and where the ball is designed to go vs what is being done.

Perhaps there are some short quick hit routes dialed up, perhaps. My hunch after watching this team as closely as I do across many many years, is, no, they aren't. Instead my belief is Reich just says to himself "oh they'll get better" and continues to call the same overly complex routes just knowing his boy and that line will get it done. Which they NEVER did all year, but hey, why adjust anything?

As for the line itself, they share a LOT of blame for these losses. You can be Montana, Brady or Mahomes and if you have no time, you will lose- ala Mahomes in last years SB.

So combine a bad Pass Pro line, with a less than pedestrian WR corps, with a QB who is incapable of making a hot read let alone throwing on time, combine all that with an obtuse overly dogmatic coach, well combine all of that and you get kick ass drinks on the beach while a bunch of your buddies start battling for the Lombardi this weekend.

Discflinger
01-10-2022, 10:12 PM
See you next year.

Lov2fish
01-10-2022, 11:01 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/01/10/colts-frank-reich-doesnt-commit-carson-wentz-2022-starting-qb/9164727002/

rcubed
01-10-2022, 11:13 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220111/2e9a0d0fd5fc6bd62a6919e12850cf45.jpg

Oldcolt
01-11-2022, 12:56 AM
Smith, Nelson and Glo, along with Wentz were never the same after they went on COVID protocol. It isn't the only reason, but it is a reason. COVID seems to affect footballers in Europe for up to months. Stands to reason it can do the same for NFL players.

www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/01/08/for-elite-footballers-the-effects-of-covid-19-linger-for-months

Having said that, every team dealt with COVID. We are the only one that collapsed

JAFF
01-11-2022, 06:58 AM
I'll also add this: we never get accurate injury information from the Colts going back to Peyton's neck surgery days. Never. So if those guys and Wentz had actual coronavirus, well, that shit drains your energy and you don't get back to normal for days and days. I had it last January and even after I was at home for two weeks and then tested negative, I still had issues here and there with fatigue. One of my bosses had it and he would get winded walking a flight of stairs. So if that was the case, no wonder they looked dead on their feet the last couple of weeks. But we'll never know, because the Colts.

So maybe a cornona ravage O line wasnt ready to play? Probably. Same group who wouldnt get vaccinated

Racehorse
01-11-2022, 07:47 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/01/10/colts-frank-reich-doesnt-commit-carson-wentz-2022-starting-qb/9164727002/

The problem with this article is coachspeak. I felt last year that they knew they were moving on from Rivers, but wanted to let him save face by retiring. This year, they are not committing because they know fans want Carson's head. I am not sure they won't just roll with the guy again next year, and try to salvage the trade, for better or for worse.

Lov2fish
01-11-2022, 10:05 AM
The problem with this article is coachspeak. I felt last year that they knew they were moving on from Rivers, but wanted to let him save face by retiring. This year, they are not committing because they know fans want Carson's head. I am not sure they won't just roll with the guy again next year, and try to salvage the trade, for better or for worse.

Gives ya a glimmer of hope he saw what everyone saw, but maybe not as he seems to enjoy doing the same stupid shit all the time.

ChaosTheory
01-11-2022, 10:25 AM
Quit trying to blame this on covid. The entire league has dealt with covid. We were closer removed from covid against the Raiders and didn't look like we did Sunday.

We got blown out in a game we were favored by two touchdowns. Everybody wants an explanation (and you can tell some people REALLY want this to be because of unvaccinated players) but sometimes a team just shits the bed.

5-2 Buffalo was riding high just before 1-6 Jacksonville kicked the shit out of them. They scored 6 points against a team that allowed 50 to the Patriots. That one didn't make sense, either.

Drewtone
01-11-2022, 11:22 AM
Quit trying to blame this on covid. The entire league has dealt with covid. We were closer removed from covid against the Raiders and didn't look like we did Sunday.

We got blown out in a game we were favored by two touchdowns. Everybody wants an explanation (and you can tell some people REALLY want this to be because of unvaccinated players) but sometimes a team just shits the bed.

5-2 Buffalo was riding high just before 1-6 Jacksonville kicked the shit out of them. They scored 6 points against a team that allowed 50 to the Patriots. That one didn't make sense, either.

Yeah, good point.... I don't think Covid had anything to do with our linemen missing assignments and biting on spin moves.

Brylok
01-11-2022, 11:58 AM
So maybe a cornona ravage O line wasnt ready to play? Probably. Same group who wouldnt get vaccinated

Makes sense to me having had it myself. If it wasn't that, well, we have several shit players we need to get rid of.
Those who have never had coronavirus need not reply. You don't know what you're talking about.

Oldcolt
01-11-2022, 12:41 PM
I forced myself to watch the game again. I don't think there is anything to learn from the Jacksonville game. If you take it to be who we are then we need a complete rebuild. Everybody goes. Everybody played like shit. These are the exact same guys that beat NE. Which are the real players, the guys who beat NE or the idiots who lost to Jags? Wentz is mediocre, but he was good enough to be our QB through a pretty good run. I don't like it but I think we we roll with essentially the same team next year. If it is a repeat of this year then blow the whole thing up. I still think if we can find a couple of wide receivers (I'm optimistic) and a pass rush (I'm pessimistic) we can challenge. Maybe even with this POS Wentz as our QB (although I'm praying for Ehlinger to get an arm transplant this off season like Brees had a few years ago). Fucking depressing as hell.

Colts And Orioles
01-11-2022, 12:52 PM
I forced myself to watch the game again. I don't think there is anything to learn from the Jacksonville game. If you take it to be who we are, then we need a complete rebuild. Everybody goes. Everybody played like shit. These are the exact same guys that beat New England. Which are the real players ??? The guys who beat New England, or the idiots who lost to Jaguars ??? Wentz is mediocre, but he was good enough to be our QB through a pretty good run. I don't like it, but I think that we we roll with essentially the same team next year. If it is a repeat of this year, then blow the whole thing up. I still think that if we can find a couple of wide receivers (I'm optimistic) and a pass rush (I'm pessimistic), we can challenge for an AFC Championship ...... maybe even with this POS Wentz as our QB (although I'm praying for Ehlinger to get an arm transplant this off season like Brees had a few years ago.) It's all fucking depressing as hell.

o

They beat New England, Buffalo, and Arizona with almost the entire offensive line out with injury or COVID.

o

JAFF
01-11-2022, 07:05 PM

Not blaming it on covid, blaming it on selfish players who wouldnt get vaccinated to protect Others on the TEAM.

Racehorse
01-11-2022, 07:34 PM
Not blaming it on covid, blaming it on selfish players who wouldnt get vaccinated to protect Others on the TEAM.

That is an overly simplistic view based on your rabid takes on the vaccine and the choices of grown men. Give it a rest!

Puck
01-11-2022, 07:42 PM

You really don't get it do you? There is NO VACCINE available that will keep Covid from spreading NONE. It is mind numbing that you cannot understand that!!!!! EVEN CNN is admitting it.

rcubed
01-11-2022, 08:04 PM
You really don't get it do you? There is NO VACCINE available that will keep Covid from spreading NONE. It is mind numbing that you cannot understand that!!!!! EVEN CNN is admitting it.
while true and I completely agree with you, the rules at the beginning of the season for vax vs unvax players were very different, only recently did that change.

Butter
01-11-2022, 08:05 PM

But it does help. Few(no?) vaccines are 100%.

Puck
01-11-2022, 08:18 PM
while true and I completely agree with you, the rules at the beginning of the season for vax vs unvax players were very different, only recently did that change.

Agree..... and we only had one game that would have been affected. And that was with both Vaxed and Unvaxed players around the league. To keep harping on this like Jaff does with every post is ridicules.

Puck
01-11-2022, 08:22 PM

I'll agree that it helps the person affected I agree because there is no way of me. knowing either way if they would have been worse off without it. I won't agree that it keeps from spreading because everyone I know that have been vaccinated have gotten and spread the virus.

Oldcolt
01-11-2022, 08:26 PM
No Puck, I do get it. The vaccine is t about absolute immunity. It is about ameliorating the effects of the disease so A) it doesn’t kill you and B) you don’t get as sick. The players didn’t do their best to make sure that the effects were their smallest in my opinion. Whether that impacted their play I have no idea and really don’t care. I care that they put themselves before the team, that’s all. They absolutely have that right. I just find it a hard attitude to get behind and root for in players. I feel like Wentz and Nelson are putzes of role models.

JAFF
01-11-2022, 08:42 PM

Not how it works. Vaccine can prevent you from dying, or having severe illness. If un vaccinated, you can have symptoms that last or weeks, even months. A vaccine is just part of it. Wearing a mask in crowds, in groups, in public helps prevent spreading the virus. How many players have we seen on the sidelines wearing masks? Very few.

By the way, you get 85-90 % of a population vaccinated, it does slow down and in some cases eliminate spread. Thats why mumps and measle cases are RARE.

Chromeburn
01-11-2022, 08:43 PM

Just for general knowledge, this might be a good place for this article. It explains why not all vaccines are the same. I see a lot of ignorant comments now that say it isn't a vaccine because it doesn't have the same reaction as say polio.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/why-vaccine-boosters.html

The vaccine will ease your recovery if you get it. The vast majority of people dying are still unvaccinated.

Some simple stats.

If you are unvaxxed according to the CDC
10 times as likely to test positive for the virus.
17 times more likely to go to the hospital.
20 times more likely to die.

It is moot now, but if they were feeling bad weeks later the vaccine would have sped up their recovery. I do like our team, no one is a jackass like Rodgers or Brown, but they are wrong on this one.

JAFF
01-11-2022, 08:51 PM
That is an overly simplistic view based on your rabid takes on the vaccine and the choices of grown men. Give it a rest!

850 000 dead Americans. More than military deaths in WW 1 and WW2 combined. In 2 years. How are you not outraged?

More Hoosiers are in the hospital now than in any other time during this pandemic. 80% of which have not been vaccinated. At least 250 000 dead that could have been avoided by vaccination and booster.

The state medical professionals are exhausted. Educators are at their wits end, and with new variant, Covid may become chronic.

Wake up

Racehorse
01-11-2022, 08:56 PM
850 000 dead Americans. More than military deaths in WW 1 and WW2 combined. In 2 years. How are you not outraged?

More Hoosiers are in the hospital now than in any other time during this pandemic. 80% of which have not been vaccinated. At least 250 000 dead that could have been avoided by vaccination and booster.

The state medical professionals are exhausted. Educators are at their wits end, and with new variant, Covid may become chronic.

Wake up

I am awake, and vaccinated. However, for you to harp on the vaccination status of players as a reason we lost a game is ridiculous. Grow up! This is a game they play, and if they lose, you don't need a scapegoat.

Puck
01-11-2022, 09:13 PM

Wake up

See this is just the thing I am talking about. What I bolded is not true. You have no way of knowing that You are just making shit up.

I certainly hope you don't get covid wouldn't wish it on anyone .

And I will assume you have every booster known to man.

By your statement above. Since you are vaxxed and boosted there is no way for you to get the virus and or God forbid die.... correct?

Remember you said if those 250+k people would have had all the shots and booster they would have lived.

Do you see how silly this sounds? And you post it constantly.

Please stop turning every thread into a Covid debate.

JAFF
01-11-2022, 09:30 PM
See this is just the thing I am talking about. What I bolded is not true. You have no way of knowing that You are just making shit up.

By your statement above. Since you are vaxxed and boosted there is no way for you to get the virus and or God forbid die.... correct?

Remember you said if those 250+k people would have had all the shots and booster they would have lived.

Im 63 years old and I got my first shot 2/20/21. At that time there were 500,000 deaths due to covid. Today, US deaths reached 850,000+ deaths. Do the math. And I low balled it.

Go to the cdc web site and look at the stats. Indiana is at the highest daily death since the pandemic began.

Hey you don’t like when I say don’t read it

Kray007
01-11-2022, 09:34 PM

You might not like it, but it’s true, nonetheless.

It’s a simple matter of statistical analysis. The unvaccinated are 20 times more likely to die of Covid. That means that 95 percent of the deaths among the unvaccinated could have been avoided.

Lov2fish
01-11-2022, 09:42 PM

Wake up

Bullshit. Your beloved CNN posted an article where the CDC admitted 75% of all the deaths had four or more comorbidities. Not one, or none, but FOUR.

Vaccines prevent the contraction of disease intended for. The covid vax does not prevent you from getting it, spreading it, or dying. Give the fucking shit a rest you tool. I am not vaxxed and have had it 3 times confirmed through test. I recovered just fucking fine. Hell I don't know anyone who died from it, or with it, but I know plenty of people who had it.

Racehorse
01-11-2022, 09:50 PM
Jags, go check out the thread by Da Edge. That is the kind of stuff that brings value to this site. Then read my signature, because your political posts are what ruins a good site.

Lov2fish
01-11-2022, 10:01 PM
Jags, go check out the thread by Da Edge. That is the kind of stuff that brings value to this site. Then read my signature, because your political posts are what ruins a good site.

You're right. I am going to ignore the idiots the rest of the time and talk football. Maybe they will get tired of hearing their heads rattle.

IndyNorm
01-11-2022, 10:54 PM
I bet Jaff is one of those guys who wears a mask while he's driving alone.

ChaosTheory
01-12-2022, 01:09 AM
Bullshit. Your beloved CNN posted an article where the CDC admitted 75% of all the deaths had four or more comorbidities. Not one, or none, but FOUR

The average comorbidities was listed at 2.5 for like a year before they quietly changed it to 4.

Also, since Fauci and Jake Tapper have said it publicly now; apparently it's no longer taboo to point out that if you go to the hospital for a torn ACL and then subsequently test positive for covid without any symptoms... That counts as a covid hospitalization. Only took, what, 18 months?

Now they can adjust it

This is from December:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Do you know the median age of a covid death? It's almost 80-years-old. More than half of all covid deaths (52%) are age 75 or older. About 75% of covid deaths are age 65 and older.

And remember, those 608,000 people averaged four health problems to boot. So you're talking 70-, 80-, and 90-year-olds that have cancer, COPD, Alzheimer's, CHF, diabetes, obesity, etc.

Do you look at preventable deaths in general with this same fervor? Do you point to obese smokers who eat like shit and sit on their asses all day and compare those deaths to WW2?

Or do those dead Americans not outrage you?

JAFF
01-12-2022, 09:17 PM
The average comorbidities was listed at 2.5 for like a year before they quietly changed it to 4.

Also, since Fauci and Jake Tapper have said it publicly now; apparently it's no longer taboo to point out that if you go to the hospital for a torn ACL and then subsequently test positive for covid without any symptoms... That counts as a covid hospitalization. Only took, what, 18 months?

Now they can adjust it

This is from December:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Do you know the median age of a covid death? It's almost 80-years-old. More than half of all covid deaths (52%) are age 75 or older. About 75% of covid deaths are age 65 and older.

And remember, those 608,000 people averaged four health problems to boot. So you're talking 70-, 80-, and 90-year-olds that have cancer, COPD, Alzheimer's, CHF, diabetes, obesity, etc.

Do you look at preventable deaths in general with this same fervor? Do you point to obese smokers who eat like shit and sit on their asses all day and compare those deaths to WW2?

Or do those dead Americans not outrage you?

Apparently, its ok for people over 55 die, by your standard.

There are people all over the country waiting to have what would be considered normal procedures at hospitals but they can’t have those procedures because the hospitals are overflowing with Covid patients. And that’s an easy number to check. Healthcare in general across this country has been decimated because of people overflowing the hospital open ventilators and other specialized treatment because of this illness. That doesn’t figure into your figures it’s just OK if old people die

Racehorse
01-13-2022, 07:41 AM

There are people all over the country waiting to have what would be considered normal procedures at hospitals but they can’t have those procedures because the hospitals are overflowing with Covid patients. And that’s an easy number to check. Healthcare in general across this country has been decimated because of people overflowing the hospital open ventilators and other specialized treatment because of this illness. That doesn’t figure into your figures it’s just OK if old people die

I think his point is these people were likely suffering badly for quite some time before contracting COVID, and the illness being the final straw was likely a blessing for these folks. Their suffering ended.

As to your other point, all I know is that is not an issue down here. Our hospitals can handle what they are seeing.

Drewtone
01-13-2022, 10:42 AM
Im 63 years old and I got my first shot 2/20/21. At that time there were 500,000 deaths WITH covid. Today, US deaths reached 850,000+ deaths. Do the math. And I low balled it.

Go to the cdc web site and look at the stats. Indiana is at the highest daily death since the pandemic began.

Hey you don’t like when I say don’t read it

FIFY, per the CDC... up to 70% had at least 4 co-morbidities.

Glad you're taking your precautions... stay safe.

With the focus on masking, particularly with Omicron, people forget it's even more important to sanitize/wash hands, particularly around food/drink... this variant gets into the throat more than the nasal cavity.

Oldcolt
01-13-2022, 11:16 AM
You should wash hand etc. Keeps you from getting flu, colds and other viral infections. Won't help much with COVID, however. COVID is spread thru aerosolization, not droplet. I cannot infect once it has dried out which takes minutes. It is why masking (with this Omicron being so infectious KN95 or N95 should be used if you believe in masking) and keeping your distance (give the virus time to lose moisture and infectivity) seem to help. We will all most likely eventually get this damn thing (it is a respiratory virus-do you know any adult that hasn't had the flu?). I want you freaks to get it as far in the future as possible. There will be newer, easier and more effective treatments the longer you wait to get this thing. Stay healthy, we need all of us here.

ChaosTheory
01-13-2022, 03:55 PM

Why don't you just tell me I hate America? Or call me a doody head? It would an equally earnest argument.

You don't have to be this way. There are alternatives.

Kray007
01-13-2022, 05:39 PM

Being vaccinated doesn’t keep you from coming down with Covid. It doesn’t prevent you from being hospitalized, and it doesn’t prevent you from dying.

However…

According to the the most recent statistics reported by the NY Department of Health, 3,500 out of every 4,000 people who tested positive for Covid were unvaccinated.

80 out of 85 hospitalizations occurred among the unvaccinated, and 45 of every 50 deaths.

JAFF
01-13-2022, 07:54 PM
I think his point is these people were likely suffering badly for quite some time before contracting COVID, and the illness being the final straw was likely a blessing for these folks. Their suffering ended.

As to your other point, all I know is that is not an issue down here. Our hospitals can handle what they are seeing.

Look at hospitals and their occupancy. They are full, and their ability to treat sick people with serious issues is compromised. The medical profession is being stretched to their limits.

JAFF
01-13-2022, 07:55 PM
Being vaccinated doesn’t keep you from coming down with Covid. It doesn’t prevent you from being hospitalized, and it doesn’t prevent you from dying.

However…

According to the the most recent statistics reported by the NY Department of Health, 3,500 out of every 4,000 people who tested positive for Covid were unvaccinated.

80 out of 85 hospitalizations occurred among the unvaccinated, and 45 of every 50 deaths.

Thank you. Being vaccinated gives that individual a better chance to recover.

If 80% of this nation had gotten vaccinated, we would be on the backend of this pandemic. If you dont believe me look at vaccination rates with the MMR

indycolts2
01-18-2022, 08:58 PM
And moving forward into 2022 season do Colts and other organizations have to worry about the Covid effect again? I had the same thought you did regarding the last two weeks and how bad the o-line looked. Particularly with three of them having missed the Arizona game with Covid. Of note was how well the o-line played with the only starter being Fisher until he got injured.

Oldcolt
01-22-2022, 07:46 PM
Final PFF (I know) offensive line ratings are in. Colts were rated 30th in pass blocking. Even if you don't like these guys that ain't good and shoulders at least some blame

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

JAFF
01-22-2022, 07:52 PM
You should wash hand etc. Keeps you from getting flu, colds and other viral infections. Won't help much with COVID, however. COVID is spread thru aerosolization, not droplet. I cannot infect once it has dried out which takes minutes. It is why masking (with this Omicron being so infectious KN95 or N95 should be used if you believe in masking) and keeping your distance (give the virus time to lose moisture and infectivity) seem to help. We will all most likely eventually get this damn thing (it is a respiratory virus-do you know any adult that hasn't had the flu?). I want you freaks to get it as far in the future as possible. There will be newer, easier and more effective treatments the longer you wait to get this thing. Stay healthy, we need all of us here.

Get vaccinated on top of it and that might keep you safe

Chromeburn
01-22-2022, 11:07 PM
Final PFF (I know) offensive line ratings are in. Colts were rated 30th in pass blocking. Even if you don't like these guys that ain't good and shoulders at least some blame

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

Gotta fix that left tackle.

Oldcolt
01-22-2022, 11:12 PM
Gotta fix that left tackle.

They all sucked