PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps Their Most Impressive Win of the Season (vs. CARDINALS)

Colts And Orioles
12-26-2021, 12:22 AM
o

The Colts started the game with 3 of their starting offensive lineman out ..... then Eric Fisher went down with an injury in the 2nd quarter.

With almost the entire starting offensive line missing, the Colts still managed to have an incredible Time-of-Possession advantage at the start of the 4th quarter of 29:14. l to l 15:46. lThe Colts' defense was subsequently well-rested for that final period, while the Cardinals' defense had been laboring most of the night ...... a much-needed advantage, considering the surrounding circumstances of the Colts' offensive line.

Good teams find ways to win when they get bad calls from the refs, when they have multiple players injured, when they have bad luck on an unlucky bounce of the ball, etc ...... and that's what the Colts did tonight.

o

apballin
12-26-2021, 01:07 AM
Couldn’t agree more with the O line situation and losing Leonard and Willis at the last hour then Doyle and Fischer go down what a gutsy performance by everyone involved and that TD throw by Wentz was fuckin money

A runaway train with a fresh Maniac and Nelson

Let’s fuckin go!!!

Oldcolt
12-26-2021, 03:29 AM
I'm guessing this is what Ballard meant by good team culture. Absolutely agree with C&O on this one. Would have been so easy to fold emotionally with this many people out but they didn't. Wentz didn't play hero ball and made some damn good plays. I don't even know what to say about this defense. How the hell did they get this good? They are starting to have the smell and feel of a championship defense. They are winning in a decidedly non finesse, playoff proven way. Freakin Puck may not be totally nuts after all. We just might win it all.

ukcolt
12-26-2021, 11:36 AM
Cardinals, have little to nothing at receiver, AJ Green is at the end of his career, rookie first rounder Rondale Moore wasn't playing alongside all world receiver Hopkins, so this wasn't a true test for our DB's. They also had their starting C and starting RB missing. So they were without 4 of their starting offense.

It was still an amazing win on the road with the lack of time to gameplan for these loses of personnel. I am just trying to temper the quality of our defense just a little.

It's still amazing to think what we managed to do with such depleted resources though. It will be interesting to see what the snap counts were for this game. I suspect a lot of our star players had season high snap counts, basically having to step up, especially on defense.

What also concerns me is how many more are going to end up on the covid list in the coming days?

Chromeburn
12-26-2021, 11:37 AM
I think the cardinals were hurting almost as bad as we are

ukcolt
12-26-2021, 11:43 AM
Odum, Moore, Speed, Okereke, Rhodes all played 100%.
Addae 94%, Rodgers 85%, Buckner 77%, Muhammad 74% and Paye 66%

So ten guys played the majority of the defense.

omahacolt
12-26-2021, 12:09 PM

odum is a fucking beast

so glad that dude is on the team

ChoppedWood
12-26-2021, 12:09 PM

Was at a party so couldn't hear the sound. What was going on with Buckner - saw he came back in late?

rcubed
12-26-2021, 12:13 PM
Ugly win, but good to get it.
I thought we were toast with all the missing players.
Wentz played mostly shitty but had enough to get the win. That TD pass to patmon was excellent.
We need better receivers next year to go with pittman.

ukcolt
12-26-2021, 12:22 PM
Was at a party so couldn't hear the sound. What was going on with Buckner - saw he came back in late?

Didn't notice him suffer any injury, but game did finish at 4.30am here, so was focusing more on trying to stay awake than anything!

dwilli57
12-26-2021, 01:03 PM
Couldn’t agree more with the O line situation and losing Leonard and Willis at the last hour then Doyle and Fischer go down what a gutsy performance by everyone involved and that TD throw by Wentz was fuckin money

A runaway train with a fresh Maniac and Nelson

Let’s fuckin go!!!

Couldn't figure out why the line moved from 1 all the way to 3 til I saw who was out. I still picked the Colts. I had faith!

jasperhobbs
12-26-2021, 02:20 PM
People complain about Eric Fisher and I agree he is not great but if the colts have to rely on julien davenport, we are screwed.

TheMugwump
12-26-2021, 03:48 PM
odum is a fucking beast

I'm stupid high most of the time, but I'm pretty sure I remember you hating on him a couple years ago.

Then again, he has come a long way in those two years.

Chromeburn
12-26-2021, 05:00 PM
People complain about Eric Fisher and I agree he is not great but if the colts have to rely on julien davenport, we are screwed.

Fisher is not great at pass blocking right now. I wonder if part of that still due to the Achilles. Davenport is a liability. I don’t know if we will go far if our LT is done.

Hoopsdoc
12-26-2021, 05:46 PM
odum is a fucking beast

Odum was right to be pissed about his contract. That dude is a pro bowler on special teams and a damn good spot starter.

He deserves more than what he’s making.

Chromeburn
12-26-2021, 07:23 PM
On twitter there is a roundtable going on right now between Reggie, Darius Butler, Antoine Bethea, Shaun Smith. Talking the Colts.

Chromeburn
12-26-2021, 07:54 PM
EJ Speed getting some love from Baldy

https://twitter.com/baldynfl/status/1475107684101857287?s=21

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
12-27-2021, 02:14 PM
Al Breer had a good write-up on the Colts in his column this week:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/12/27/mmqb-week-16-patriots-push-bills-better-sean-mcdermott

COLTS FIND WAYS TO WIN

It was only fitting that, for the Colts, a day that started with a host of adjustments would end with a big one. And that big one came on third-and-9 in Arizona on Saturday night, with Indianapolis clinging to a 15–13 lead and the clock ticking, with less than seven minutes to go.

Carson Wentz had raised an idea to Colts coach Frank Reich earlier and, while it made sense on paper, it would require trusting Dezmon Patmon to execute it—the same Patmon who was only in because Zach Pascal landed on the COVID-19 list hours before kickoff, and the same Patmon who last caught a pass in a game on Nov. 4.

Patmon was the last man in Wentz’s progression—and the focal point of the change.

“All week long, we practiced it running a different route and an out-breaking route to that side,” Reich told me late Saturday. “We were gonna run double out-breaking routes and then just take the best-look side. This morning, when Pascal went down, Carson was like, ‘Well hey, listen, I’m gonna work [Michael] Pittman the whole way so there’s no reason to run Dez on that same route that we were gonna run him on. We might as well just run him on an in-cut and if I don’t have Pittman, that way I can progress back to him.’

“And sure enough, it ended up playing out like that.”

Pretty much to a T.

At the snap, Wentz looked left and saw all three of his receivers, Pittman included, manned up. So he moved up in the pocket and—just like Reich and Wentz drew it up in the proverbial sand—as the quarterback bought time, Patmon started working across the end line, moving from the right corner toward the left. And just as he cleared safety Jalen Thompson, Wentz reached back against his body and tattooed Patmon with the ball.

That gave the Colts the breathing room they needed in what wound up being a 22–16 win.

It also said a lot about an Indy team that’s looked increasingly dangerous over the last two months. Anyone who’s watching has known for a while how big, fast and physical the Colts really are. This weekend tested them in a different way.

On Saturday morning, Reich woke up at Indy’s hotel in Arizona knowing his team would be without starters Quenton Nelson, Mark Glowinski and Rock Ya-Sin—all three landed on the COVID-19 list last week. And he figured, at least for a little while, that would be it, because the first text Reich got that morning was to tell him that there were no new positive tests in the batch that the team sent off on Friday.

Things would get worse. The next text Reich got was to inform him that three guys who’d returned negative tests Friday had come back in complaining of symptoms. They went to get some rest. Within a couple of hours, the symptoms for each had worsened. All three were administered rapid tests. All three came up COVID-19 positive. So the Colts were sent scrambling to replace Pascal, safety Khari Willis and perennial All-Pro Darius Leonard.

As the news was delivered, Reich was in the hotel lobby with GM Chris Ballard.

“The call sheet’s already printed out, so you have to basically redo the whole call sheet as far as the personnel groups with how we were gonna do it,” Reich said. “So [coordinator] Marcus Brady and the offensive staff basically sat there and reorganized all the calls on offense. And on defense, it was similar as far as, ‘O.K., we’re losing Darius, we’re losing Khar so how are we gonna package our personnel groups and how does that affect the way ‘Flus’ [DC Matt Eberflus] is gonna call the game?

“And then Bubba [Ventrone] on special teams, it was the same thing. I mean, he ends up giving me his depth chart and is basically having to redo the whole thing because of how many guys were out.”

In some cases, it was the team’s depth that showed up and pulled the rope*. The best example of that was probably third-year linebacker E.J. Speed, a talented kid the Colts have high hopes for, who’s simply seen his path to the field blocked by Leonard and Bobby Okereke, delivering a team-high nine tackles. “He played fantastic,” said Reich. “E.J.’s an incredibly talented player. I mean, he’s like Darius. He’s very long, he’s fast and he’s really athletic.”

In other cases, it was just all hands on deck. And that was illustrated by who was on the field with Wentz. There was, of course, Patmon out there in Pascal’s spot. Then, there was a line that came in without Nelson, Glowinski and center Ryan Kelly (away from the team dealing with a very difficult family situation), and lost left tackle Eric Fisher in the second quarter. That left this group in front of Wentz for the second half …

• LT Julién Davenport: Sixth-year pro on his third team. Last started Oct. 3.
• LG Chris Reed: Seventh-year pro on his fourth team. Last started Nov. 4.
• C Danny Pinter: 2020 fifth-round pick making his fourth career start.
• RG Matt Pryor: Fourth-year pro. Last started Oct. 24.
• RT Braden Smith: Cornerstone line piece—signed a four-year, $72.4 million deal in July.

And while COVID-19 was only responsible for two of the four absences up front, a message Reich had for his players on Thursday wound up resonating to everyone.

“I said to them, ‘Hey guys, this COVID thing, man, it’s gonna hit. So everyone has to be ready. Everyone standing on this field right now has to be ready to play winning football. Everyone standing on this field with a Colts helmet has to be ready to play winning football, because it’s gonna happen,’” Reich said. “It’s a virus. We’re trying. We’re one of the best teams in the league at following the protocols. We’re doing the best we can do.”

On this particular day, it meant going to work with that depleted line and a patchwork back seven on defense, and the brilliance of the Colts’ effort was that it was hard to see any of that at play in the final analysis. Indy held a 10-minute edge in time of possession, Jonathan Taylor went for 100 yards, the defense came up with crucial fourth-down stops in the second and fourth quarters, and then Wentz, who was up and down all night, came up big when it mattered most—regardless of who blocked for him or to whom he was throwing.

And that left Reich with a win that made him as proud as any his Colts have had over the four years he’s been in charge.

“I can’t imagine there’s one I’d put higher,” he said. “This feels like the most gutsy, great team win that we’ve had, considering the circumstances, since we’ve been here.”

And that win’s positioned the Colts, at 9–6 and with the Raiders and Jaguars left on the schedule, to make more noise in January, even if a few more curveballs come their way.

omahacolt
12-27-2021, 06:17 PM
I'm stupid high most of the time, but I'm pretty sure I remember you hating on him a couple years ago.

Then again, he has come a long way in those two years.

nope

i have always been a fan of odum

Colts And Orioles
01-10-2022, 10:37 AM
o

The Colts started the game with 3 of their starting offensive lineman out ..... then Eric Fisher went down with an injury in the 2nd quarter.

With almost the entire starting offensive line missing, the Colts still managed to have an incredible Time-of-Possession advantage at the start of the 4th quarter of 29:14. l to l 15:46. lThe Colts' defense was subsequently well-rested for that final period, while the Cardinals' defense had been laboring most of the night ...... a much-needed advantage, considering the surrounding circumstances of the Colts' offensive line.

Good teams find ways to win when they get bad calls from the refs, when they have multiple players injured, when they have bad luck on an unlucky bounce of the ball, etc ...... and that's what the Colts did tonight.

o
o

(2 WEEKS LATER)

The Colts followed up that gutty win with a close loss to an average Raiders team, and a sound beating at the hands of a bad Jaguars team.

o