PDA

View Full Version : Game observations

jasperhobbs
12-19-2021, 09:36 AM
First off, I think the colts will make the playoffs but not go very far. The colts will not have a first-round pick in the draft so should sign some free agents to shore up the roster. Below are my thoughts.

QB - Carson Wentz is erratic and mistake prone but the best option the Colts have so Ballard needs to get him some more weapons. Unless Patmon and Strachan develop quickly which I doubt, a couple of receivers need to be brought in via the draft and or free agency. Also, no tight end on the roster scares any defense so help is needed there.

The good news on offense is the O Line is solid and Fisher is not terrible and could be re-signed to a cap friendly deal. An eventual replacement should be drafted.

The defense has a lot of talent but for some reason can't seem to rush the passer. Kwity Paye gives great effort but rarely gets to the QB. He may develop into a solid player with more playing time. I am hoping Dayo also develops quickly.

I can live with the linebackers and secondary although Rhodes is probably done. Kenny, Moore and Rock Ya Sin are solid and hopefully Blackmon the safety comes back strong.

In conclusion, Ballard has put together a solid roster but has some work to do in the off season. I don't see Ballard shelling out big bucks in free agency so needs to hit on players in the draft. Good receivers can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I'm not writing off this season, but I don't think the team is super bowl bound until a few areas are improved.

albany ed
12-19-2021, 09:50 AM
I agree that Wentz has flaws. Gunslinger mentality, he needs to not make that forced pass that leads to turnovers. Isn't Campbell back starting the next game? OL is solid in the run game, but can't seem to be that good in pass blocking. That has to improve. I still want to see Hines used more, but the way Taylor is running, I do realize it's hard to get him in there.

So, need help in a lot of phases of the game, but so do most teams. Our two biggest weaknesses are pass rush and pass blocking. If not for that, we'd be Super Bowl bound.

Racehorse
12-19-2021, 09:58 AM
I agree that Wentz has flaws. Gunslinger mentality, he needs to not make that forced pass that leads to turnovers. Isn't Campbell back starting the next game? OL is solid in the run game, but can't seem to be that good in pass blocking. That has to improve. I still want to see Hines used more, but the way Taylor is running, I do realize it's hard to get him in there.

So, need help in a lot of phases of the game, but so do most teams. Our two biggest weaknesses are pass rush and pass blocking. If not for that, we'd be Super Bowl bound.

I would like to try to get Hines touches at WR. It has been mentioned by a few here for years now.

jasperhobbs
12-19-2021, 10:20 AM
Below are top wide receiver free agents. The packers might not be able to keep Davante Adams but I don't see Ballard going after him. Allen Robinson perhaps.

1. Davante Adams, Packers

2. Chris Godwin, Buccaneers

3. Allen Robinson, Bears

4. Mike Williams, Chargers

5. Odell Beckham Jr., Rams

6. Christian Kirk, Cardinals

8. Michael Gallup, Cowboys

7. Cordarrelle Patterson, Falcons (RB/WR)

8. JuJu Smith-Schuster, Steelers

9. D.J. Chark, Jaguars

10. Antonio Brown, Buccaneers

Chromeburn
12-19-2021, 10:32 AM
We should sign a speed rusher. Pass rush has been a problem for too long and we could have signed guys to decent contracts for the past couple years. Pass rush is too important to constantly hand it to rookies.

We do need another receiver, we can find one in the second round. WR has the highest failure rate of any position and is one of the hardest to adjust to in the NFL.Ballard wanted to sign Allen Robinson years ago, maybe he tries again. But I bet we go the draft.

As for Wentz, I don’t know. The guy is frustratingly inconsistent. This should have been Luck’s team.

ChoppedWood
12-19-2021, 11:07 AM
We should sign a speed rusher. Pass rush has been a problem for too long and we could have signed guys to decent contracts for the past couple years. Pass rush is too important to constantly hand it to rookies.

We do need another receiver, we can find one in the second round. WR has the highest failure rate of any position and is one of the hardest to adjust to in the NFL.Ballard wanted to sign Allen Robinson years ago, maybe he tries again. But I bet we go the draft.

As for Wentz, I don’t know. The guy is frustratingly inconsistent. This should have been Luck’s team.

I think Wentz could be just fine if:
1- We give him some additional weapons. Paris MAY be part of that solution- hopefully these next 3 games give us more intel. The two rooks, both have potential but need to be on the field to develop; we need one of them to hit next year. FA- Willams or Kirk on this team, partnered with Pittman and some form of take the top off WR (Paris?), that would be a formidable duo due to the size and physicality we would have a the position.

2- To me this is the bigger piece in the Wentz situation- REIN HIM IN! We ARE a run to pass team, not a pass to run team. He needs to be coached that his job is to give us the best chance to win a game, not take chances that could lose it- ala the RPO INT last night. Watch that replay, clearly an RPO and he keeps, but Taylor is going to get huge yards if not a TD on that play. Stop doing that shit!

I get a lot of flack for the anti-Frank rants, but listen to Frank's own words, and believe what he is telling you- coaching is a huge problem. In the 26-0 pass to run streak, he mentioned 6 of the 26= nearly 25% of those plays were RPO's and on 100% of those Wentz chose pass. That has to be stopped and that's why I am so anti-Frank. When you have this line and this incredible back, no way should 1)- 25% of the plays be RPO's and in no reasonable world, should 2) 100% of those be passes, that's just inexcusable. Cut those back and Wentz is not going to look like so much of a gun slinger. He's going to look much more like a Flacco or a Dilfer, or even a Brad Johnson- and with this team, that type of QB is perfectly fine- this team does not need a Peyton or even a Luck type of hero, they just need a guy that is talented enough to keep them from losing games and I believe Wentz can do that, but only if his coach puts him in a box that forces him to be that guy. Right now it looks much more like he and Frank want him to be a poor mans Fahrve, he DOES NOT HAVE THAT LEVEL OF TALENT!

IndyNorm
12-19-2021, 11:42 AM
I think Wentz could be just fine if:
1- We give him some additional weapons. Paris MAY be part of that solution- hopefully these next 3 games give us more intel. The two rooks, both have potential but need to be on the field to develop; we need one of them to hit next year. FA- Willams or Kirk on this team, partnered with Pittman and some form of take the top off WR (Paris?), that would be a formidable duo due to the size and physicality we would have a the position.

2- To me this is the bigger piece in the Wentz situation- REIN HIM IN! We ARE a run to pass team, not a pass to run team. He needs to be coached that his job is to give us the best chance to win a game, not take chances that could lose it- ala the RPO INT last night. Watch that replay, clearly an RPO and he keeps, but Taylor is going to get huge yards if not a TD on that play. Stop doing that shit!

I get a lot of flack for the anti-Frank rants, but listen to Frank's own words, and believe what he is telling you- coaching is a huge problem. In the 26-0 pass to run streak, he mentioned 6 of the 26= nearly 25% of those plays were RPO's and on 100% of those Wentz chose pass. That has to be stopped and that's why I am so anti-Frank. When you have this line and this incredible back, no way should 1)- 25% of the plays be RPO's and in no reasonable world, should 2) 100% of those be passes, that's just inexcusable. Cut those back and Wentz is not going to look like so much of a gun slinger. He's going to look much more like a Flacco or a Dilfer, or even a Brad Johnson- and with this team, that type of QB is perfectly fine- this team does not need a Peyton or even a Luck type of hero, they just need a guy that is talented enough to keep them from losing games and I believe Wentz can do that, but only if his coach puts him in a box that forces him to be that guy. Right now it looks much more like he and Frank want him to be a poor mans Fahrve, he DOES NOT HAVE THAT LEVEL OF TALENT!

Campbell's not the answer. The dude's made of glass. If he actually makes it on the field again this year, which isn't a given, it'll be for what 5 plays until he breaks something else.

Agree on Wentz. His decision making at times is absolute shit. Not only does he make the wrong read on not handing off on his pick, but he throws into triple coverage. Fucking horrible.

jasperhobbs
12-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Campbell's not the answer. The dude's made of glass. If he actually makes it on the field again this year, which isn't a given, it'll be for what 5 plays until he breaks something else.

Agree on Wentz. His decision making at times is absolute shit. Not only does he make the wrong read on not handing off on his pick, but he throws into triple coverage. Fucking horrible.

I don't figure Parris Campbell into next seasons receiving corps. If he is, it's a bonus.

Note to Chris Ballard, avoid drafting Ohio state players (Anthony Gonzalez, Malik Hooker, Parris Campbell)

Oldcolt
12-19-2021, 01:22 PM
Disagree about Campbell. He has speed and size. Nobody knows what his injury issues will be going forward. It isn't as if he were injured in college. It is a long shot but it is the only shot we have this year at improving our WR corps. I am hopeful he can provide some help.

Also think it is way to early to have a definite opinion on Wentz. Very little preseason, first year here, one wide receiver of note-I'd like to wait to see what he can do with a year in the system and some real NFL caliber WRs (assuming we get/develop one or two). So far he seems like a middling QB that is strong as a horse-may be a good fit for a run oriented team given time.

Anyone who thought Paye was going to be a stud pass rusher this year was kidding themselves. Rushing the passer is the most difficult thing in the NFL. Almost nobody can dominate coming out of college. It takes a year or two. No dominant pass rusher will ever make it to free agency, it is imperative to develop your own. We need to develop one of these dudes-I am optimistic that we will.

I was pissed at Frank for being slightly finesse the last few games. Apparently he was pissed at himself also because he went total smash mouth in this game. What is there to complain about CW? He did what we wanted, is not a stubborn self-absorbed man. You underestimate his ability to connect with players and get them not to just say screw the season, even when you are 1-5. That is special, keeping the locker room when you have shit the bed as many times as we did to start this year. He gets along wonderfully with Ballard and Wentz. I have no idea who would be a guaranteed improvement over him. We would be nuts to let him go.

I'm more excited about this team than I ever thought possible a few months ago. Things look good to me, on the correct path here.

Luck4Reich
12-19-2021, 01:34 PM
Watching ESPN this morning they commented that Frank Reich said before the long TD run by Taylor he thought about passing the ball but went ahead and called run...Glad he went with Taylor. That could have been a pick 6 time if Wentz had thrown it the way he was playing.

Luck4Reich
12-19-2021, 01:35 PM
I don't figure Parris Campbell into next seasons receiving corps. If he is, it's a bonus.

Note to Chris Ballard, avoid drafting Ohio state players (Anthony Gonzalez, Malik Hooker, Parris Campbell)

Hooker is playing very well for the Cowboys.

Luck4Reich
12-19-2021, 01:52 PM
Watched what led up to the Pittman ejection several times and. We see pushes in games all the time... Dugger proceeds to forcefully ripping of Pittman's helmet and all you see Pittman do is try to protect himself. At no point did Pittman do anything to warrant getting thrown out of the game.
All this was is the Patriots getting a favor from the refs like they always do in about every damn game they play! A chance to take the Colts best receiver out? Refs---Let's do it! MFers!!

Hoopsdoc
12-19-2021, 02:25 PM
Watching ESPN this morning they commented that Frank Reich said before the long TD run by Taylor he thought about passing the ball but went ahead and called run...Glad he went with Taylor. That could have been a pick 6 time if Wentz had thrown it the way he was playing.

It can’t be overstated how bad Wentz was yesterday. He was just brutal. Everything was wobbly and behind the receiver. He threw one pick and the Pats dropped at least 3 more.

If we see the Pats again, which is very possible, I don’t like our chances.

Wentz HAS to be better. Or at least, never THAT bad.

Hoopsdoc
12-19-2021, 02:27 PM
Watched what led up to the Pittman ejection several times and. We see pushes in games all the time... Dugger proceeds to forcefully ripping of Pittman's helmet and all you see Pittman do is try to protect himself. At no point did Pittman do anything to warrant getting thrown out of the game.
All this was is the Patriots getting a favor from the refs like they always do in about every damn game they play! A chance to take the Colts best receiver out? Refs---Let's do it! MFers!!

It was total bullshit that Pittman was tossed. That was bush league stuff from Dugger.

jasperhobbs
12-19-2021, 02:36 PM
Hooker is playing very well for the Cowboys.

Hooker might be alright for spot duty but can't be relied on as a full time starter. Certainly wasn't worthy of being a fairly high first round pick.

Oldcolt
12-19-2021, 02:38 PM
It can’t be overstated how bad Wentz was yesterday. He was just brutal. Everything was wobbly and behind the receiver. He threw one pick and the Pats dropped at least 3 more.

If we see the Pats again, which is very possible, I don’t like our chances.

Wentz HAS to be better. Or at least, never THAT bad.

Unless of course our run game continues to be THAT good. I still like our chances against the Pats. Wentz probably won't be as bad and nobody else played over their heads. Time to start believing.

jasperhobbs
12-19-2021, 03:53 PM
Anyone who thought Paye was going to be a stud pass rusher this year was kidding themselves. Rushing the passer is the most difficult thing in the NFL. Almost nobody can dominate coming out of college. It takes a year or two. No dominant pass rusher will ever make it to free agency, it is imperative to develop your own. We need to develop one of these dudes-I am optimistic that we will.
There have been a few that come right out of college and are dominant pass rushers (Bosa brothers and Micah Parsons come to mind)

I think it depends on how polished they are and if they are already pass rushers or developmental prospects with the tools but not the production. A prime example was Bjoern Werner a bust from a few years back. A late bloomer or in the wrong scheme was Jerry Hughes.

Kwity Paye has the tools but didn't have the production in college so let's hope he develops quickly. He is already good against the run and has a high motor.

bigalbert
12-19-2021, 04:11 PM
Wentz had a terrible game throwing the ball, BUT, he had a helluva game with his legs. 2 big scrambles for first downs and three huge sneaks for first downs. He did pretty dam good on a night when his arm was off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChoppedWood
12-19-2021, 04:31 PM
Disagree about Campbell. He has speed and size. Nobody knows what his injury issues will be going forward. It isn't as if he were injured in college. It is a long shot but it is the only shot we have this year at improving our WR corps. I am hopeful he can provide some help.

Also think it is way to early to have a definite opinion on Wentz. Very little preseason, first year here, one wide receiver of note-I'd like to wait to see what he can do with a year in the system and some real NFL caliber WRs (assuming we get/develop one or two). So far he seems like a middling QB that is strong as a horse-may be a good fit for a run oriented team given time.

I was pissed at Frank for being slightly finesse the last few games. Apparently he was pissed at himself also because he went total smash mouth in this game. What is there to complain about CW? He did what we wanted, is not a stubborn self-absorbed man. You underestimate his ability to connect with players and get them not to just say screw the season, even when you are 1-5. That is special, keeping the locker room when you have shit the bed as many times as we did to start this year. He gets along wonderfully with Ballard and Wentz. I have no idea who would be a guaranteed improvement over him. We would be nuts to let him go.

I'm more excited about this team than I ever thought possible a few months ago. Things look good to me, on the correct path here.

Fair question and I feel like I have answered it.

1- The post Okereke INT and the 3 straight passes- one of which SHOULD have been picked. Look, the only thing working in this game was the running game. Just got a huge TO and a chance to quite literally put the nail on the coffin, have all the mo' in the world- time to get behind that line and maul them into submission right? Nope, gonna throw it 3 times. And if I recall the sequence correctly, I think all three of those plays were straight up throws, not even RPO action- and if so, barring a Wentz audible, those are the plays we called. We got a FG at least but we damn near gave the ball right back to them.

2- The terrible INT late by Wentz. Yep, terrible pass- that's on him. But again, it was an RPO and he chose to pass it- which seems to essentially be EVERY RPO that's what he is choosing to do, and on this one in particular JT has daylight galore if he hands it off instead. As the final 67 yard run to pay dirt demonstrated- you can stack the box all you want against JT, he is capable of killing you for doing it, in fact, the stacking of the box may be the ideal time to run with him because if he gets through the line- it's 6. So all the "well it was the right decision" window dressing from Frank to justify the throws, is just that, BS. At some point, ehhhhh, you're the HC, so you may be pissed and chastise him for it in personnel settings but not vocalize it in public. When it happens OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER, then you are part of that decision making process.

And I AM a Wentz supporter, I think he is a good QB, and a guy these guys really want to play for because of how tough he is; I support him as QB of the next 5-8 years. That said, with the current WR group AND the current RB / line, passing on every RPO, just not the best pathway to winning and it needs to be changed.

ChoppedWood
12-19-2021, 05:04 PM
I failed to call out the very late 4th down call to go for it vs punting it. I said it in the game thread- the absolute correct call there was to punt it. Yep, we got it, which we do quite a bit, but man, once again the guy just can't bring himself to make the more logical situational decisions.

Puck
12-19-2021, 05:09 PM
Unless of course our run game continues to be THAT good. I still like our chances against the Pats. Wentz probably won't be as bad and nobody else played over their heads. Time to start believing.

Besides the Chiefs the Colts are the hottest teams in the AFC. If someone can't believe now then there is nothing that will change their minds

I'll take these Colts against ANY team in the NFL right now

jasperhobbs
12-19-2021, 06:39 PM
Besides the Chiefs the Colts are the hottest teams in the AFC. If someone can't believe now then there is nothing that will change their minds

I'll take these Colts against ANY team in the NFL right now
Without a consistent pass rush and average passing game, I don't see the colts going very deep into the playoffs.

Puck
12-19-2021, 06:49 PM
Without a consistent pass rush and average passing game, I don't see the colts going very deep into the playoffs.

we shall see.

Luck4Reich
12-19-2021, 07:17 PM

Consistent turnovers work well too. Aren't Colts best in the league at takeaways?

ChoppedWood
12-19-2021, 07:27 PM
Consistent turnovers work well too. Aren't Colts best in the league at takeaways?

Yes, and approximately 150% of them are done by Darius, yet somehow, he isn't even mentioned in the DPOY convo???

nate505
12-19-2021, 08:31 PM
I failed to call out the very late 4th down call to go for it vs punting it. I said it in the game thread- the absolute correct call there was to punt it. Yep, we got it, which we do quite a bit, but man, once again the guy just can't bring himself to make the more logical situational decisions.

I disagree. I thought going for it was correct. The Pats were down two scores and were moving the ball at will. Getting the first down meant burning a lot more clock potentially vs. just giving the ball back and letting them make up that yardage in a a minute.

ChoppedWood
12-19-2021, 08:40 PM
I disagree. I thought going for it was correct. The Pats were down two scores and were moving the ball at will. Getting the first down meant burning a lot more clock potentially vs. just giving the ball back and letting them make up that yardage in a a minute.

Just a "decent" punt, and they are going to have to go a LONG way to make it happen. Ostensibly a lot of clock was going to go away. Then again Kraft had probably already ordered the "45 yards pass interference at this point is $700K" from the Goodell menu.

Puck
12-19-2021, 08:42 PM

I was at the game..... yelled PUNT..... when they went for it I sat down thinking it was the wrong call. Obviously I had beers. So who knows if I was right. BUT. loved the outcome

Oldcolt
12-19-2021, 09:06 PM
I am not crazy about all these times we go for it on 4th down either. It ain't going to change under Reich. For me going for it every time makes sense if you are playing the odds, which he is. I still don't like it but it isn't a coach changer by any means. CW you and I part ways when you start talking individual plays that didn't work. My concern was the team identity. It was that we had spent a fortune on this offensive line so they could dominate and we seemed to be getting away from that physical play. Yesterday we did not play finesse by any stretch of the imagination and came away with a victory. I fucking loved it.

rm1369
12-19-2021, 11:08 PM
I guess I’m one of the few that loves Reich’s aggressiveness. The OL is a team strength and the league wide success rate on 4th and 1 is very high. It’s somewhere between 72 -77% (depending which analysis you use). I’ve seen analysis that shows QB sneaks were successful on 4th and 1 82.8% of the time over the 17 year period analyzed. I like those odds especially with one of the best OL in the league.

Puck
12-20-2021, 12:46 AM
I guess I’m one of the few that loves Reich’s aggressiveness. The OL is a team strength and the league wide success rate on 4th and 1 is very high. It’s somewhere between 72 -77% (depending which analysis you use). I’ve seen analysis that shows QB sneaks were successful on 4th and 1 82.8% of the time over the 17 year period analyzed. I like those odds especially with one of the best OL in the league.

I love it too... he believes in his players to execute. It less likely a bad coaching decision but sometimes its bad execution that makes it look like a bad decision

Do what you do Frank. All I have to say

nate505
12-20-2021, 12:47 AM

Best OL in the league, and maybe the best QB sneaker (ok, it's a word but I've never heard that term, but still) in the league.

Seriously, for a team with a rushing identity, having a guy who is near automatic on QB sneaks is so huge. Like if the Colts can just get three yards an attempt rushing on each play and Wentz is successful on 4th and 1, it's unstoppable offense.

Hoopsdoc
12-20-2021, 06:27 AM

I read somewhere that, analytically speaking, it’s hardly ever the correct call to punt the ball on 4th and 1. The odds of picking it up are just to good.

Add in that offensive line and Wentz’s knack for quarterback sneaks and going for it was the right call in every one of those situations Saturday.

On the last one, New England KNEW what was coming and still couldn’t stop it.

You need to give Reich some credit here. He beat Belichick at his own game. He managed to work around Wentz’s awful performance and still come out with a win.

He’s a very good, borderline great, coach.

Oldcolt
12-20-2021, 10:36 AM
Best OL in the league, and maybe the best QB sneaker (ok, it's a word but I've never heard that term, but still) in the league.

Seriously, for a team with a rushing identity, having a guy who is near automatic on QB sneaks is so huge. Like if the Colts can just get three yards an attempt rushing on each play and Wentz is successful on 4th and 1, it's unstoppable offense.

This has been my thought recently. Wentz as a hard nosed quarterback would be an addition to our identity as a kick you ass team if he buys into it. And I think he will buy into it. He is our 3-5th best offensive player (JT and Nelson are obviously better, I would argue that Smith and Kelly are also), but our best short yardage guy. We do that a shitload. The way we are converting these 4th downs Reich is going to make me a believer and Wentz is a huge part of that.

HoosierinFL
12-20-2021, 11:33 AM
Here's at least 1 video highlighting things Reich does well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebP5Rx9W2dk

Points out the way the run game sets up different looks and catches defenses off guard. But also of course highlights JT's versatility that he can run each scheme

Oldcolt
12-20-2021, 11:44 AM

Points out the way the run game sets up different looks and catches defenses off guard. But also of course highlights JT's versatility that he can run each scheme

Thanks, I learned a lot, including that I don't know shit compared to Frank at setting up the run game.

albany ed
12-20-2021, 12:09 PM
I am not crazy about all these times we go for it on 4th down either. It ain't going to change under Reich. For me going for it every time makes sense if you are playing the odds, which he is. I still don't like it but it isn't a coach changer by any means. CW you and I part ways when you start talking individual plays that didn't work. My concern was the team identity. It was that we had spent a fortune on this offensive line so they could dominate and we seemed to be getting away from that physical play. Yesterday we did not play finesse by any stretch of the imagination and came away with a victory. I fucking loved it.

I'm not either, but it does depend on how close you are. If within a yard, I think that Wentz can get it 90% (or better) of the time. More than that, it depends on where you are on the field. If past the 50 but too far for a FG, I like the risk. A punt may only get you 25 net yards. If within a FG range and the score is close and the time is not a factor, then kick the FG. Beyond the 50 with the time and score not a factor, punt the ball.

ukcolt
12-20-2021, 01:00 PM

The guy who does this video has an incredibly professional style, both with his media content and voice over.