PDA

View Full Version : Hundley the backup

JAFF
10-10-2021, 08:50 AM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/10/09/brett-hundley-colts-roster-2021-backup-quarterback-carson-wentz/6073458001/

INDIANAPOLIS — A battle that began with two young quarterbacks has ended with a victory for the veteran everybody overlooked in training camp.

The Colts plan to promote Brett Hundley to the 53-man roster at some point this weekend, a move that settles any debate about the identity of the team’s top backup for the foreseeable future.

Hundley spent the first four games on the team’s practice squad, but Indianapolis can no longer make Hundley a game-day callup to the active roster after exhausting the two promotions Hundley is allowed.

“Brett will be the backup,” Colts head coach Frank Reich said. “There has to be a corresponding move. We’re working on that.”

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Brett Hundley (3) waves at some UCLA fans during the day's Colts camp practice at Grand Park in Westfield on Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2021.
Indianapolis would not be adding Hundley to the 53-man roster if the Colts didn’t plan to make him Wentz’s top backup long-term. The Colts will have to release a player in order to make room for Hundley.

“We understand that this move has a cost,” Reich said. “We have confidence in Brett. We still have confidence in the other two guys. It’s still an ongoing competition, it’s the NFL, everybody knows that, but we’re happy with Brett’s progress.”

Elevating Hundley to the backup job creates another roster problem for the Colts.

NFL teams rarely carry four quarterbacks on the active roster, but Indianapolis finds itself facing that possibility if it wants to ensure it will be able to keep second-year quarterback Jacob Eason and sixth-round rookie Sam Ehlinger.

Colts OL coach Chris Strausser: 'I just have to coach better'

Injury report:Colts might finally be starting to get healthier

Eason and Ehlinger spent training camp competing for the right to be Wentz’s backup. At the time, Hundley was an afterthought, but the Colts have elevated Hundley because of the experience he brings to the role, leaving the two young quarterbacks in limbo.

Indianapolis likely would prefer to keep developing both Eason and Ehlinger. The Colts invested a fourth-round pick in Eason in 2020 and spent a sixth-round draft pick in 2021 on Ehlinger. Reich continues to say positive things about the development of both players, even though Eason lost the backup job after he threw a back-breaking interception in relief of Wentz against the Rams.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Carson Wentz
The Colts have three weeks to decide if they plan to bring Ehlinger back off of injured reserve this season. Ehlinger sprained his knee in the preseason finale, spent the first three weeks of the season on injured reserve and was designated to return from the reserve list last week. Once a team designates a player to return, the player can practice for 21 days before the team must make a decision on bringing him back from injured reserve.

If the Colts don’t bring Ehlinger back, he’d spend the rest of the season on injured reserve.

From what Reich has said, it sounds like the rookie is healthy.

“This week, running (Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson’s) scout teams, the three quarterbacks kind of split that up,” Reich said. “He looked good. Moved around very well, simulating Lamar at times.”

CletusPyle
10-10-2021, 01:44 PM
People keep claiming Ballard is a genius....sorry I don't see it!

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
10-10-2021, 02:27 PM
The Colts officially made the roster move today; the corresponding move was to release DT Antwaun Woods.

This is the second time the Colts released Woods - the first time was when they moved Eric Fisher back to the active roster from the COVID Reserve list. In that instance, they were able to sign Woods back to the practice squad.

https://www.colts.com/news/brett-hundley-elevated-active-roster-antwaun-woods-released

JAFF
10-10-2021, 03:16 PM
People keep claiming Ballard is a genius....sorry I don't see it!

Try bifocals

omahacolt
10-10-2021, 04:25 PM
backup qb position is terrible. ballard fucked that up

JAFF
10-10-2021, 04:50 PM

Because every team has a top notch nfl qb ready to play?

Hoopsdoc
10-10-2021, 05:17 PM

Keefer says it’s because Reich doesn’t trust his command of the offense.

Now, you can say Ballard shouldn’t have drafted a guy that dumb, but it seems just as likely that Reich isn’t coaching him up right.

Seems as much a coaching problem as a general manager problem.

omahacolt
10-10-2021, 06:16 PM
Keefer says it’s because Reich doesn’t trust his command of the offense.

Now, you can say Ballard shouldn’t have drafted a guy that dumb, but it seems just as likely that Reich isn’t coaching him up right.

Seems as much a coaching problem as a general manager problem.

if he doesn't understand the offense after a year, how is he your #2 going into the season?

i doubt they haven't explained the offense to the guy

JAFF
10-10-2021, 07:27 PM
He has a big arm, an nfl plus arm. Thats what they drafted, with the idea they had time to develop it. In two years the Colts have barely had 1 normal camp. And that kid from texas might know the offense and can read defenses, but he doesnt have the arm to be an nfl starter

apballin
10-10-2021, 08:22 PM
Who cares hopefully he won’t see the field anyway

Butter
10-10-2021, 11:28 PM
Who cares hopefully he won’t see the field anyway

Have you seen who our QB is? Our back has a very high chance of seeing some playing time.

Luck4Reich
10-11-2021, 05:55 AM
It's starting to become real concerning with Ballard picks.

Especially watching all these other players over the past several years (guys available for Colts when they picked) become great players for other teams. While guys Ballard picked are either always hurt or haven't developed into much yet.

Luck4Reich
10-11-2021, 06:06 AM
Wentz hasn't missed a game due to injury since 2018. He has missed 8 games out of 80 regular season games since his career started.

Yeah he is wreckless and plays hero ball all times but the guy isn't soft as a majority of fans have said.

I think the Colts are going to shock the Ravens tonight and Wentz will play lights out. I'm probably dead wrong with that feeling lol.

rm1369
10-11-2021, 11:06 AM
Wentz hasn't missed a game due to injury since 2018. He has missed 8 games out of 80 regular season games since his career started.

Yeah he is wreckless and plays hero ball all times but the guy isn't soft as a majority of fans have said.

I think the Colts are going to shock the Ravens tonight and Wentz will play lights out. I'm probably dead wrong with that feeling lol.

I don’t think he’s soft physically. I’m starting to believe he’s just not a winner. He seems to be a guy there will always be an issue with. Just something. In less than a quarter of a season he’s missed nearly all of training camp with an injury, missed a week of practice because of his selfish anti-vax stance, missed the potential game winning drive in one game due to injury, and been limited in two more games due to the same injury (one severely limited). Yeah hasn’t missed a start, but you can’t convince me the Colts have been improved by his presence. Throw in that it seems very likely the team doesn’t have a capable backup because of needing to make sure he knows he’s the man and he has been a train wreck so far for this team. Kinda like he was in Philly. At some point guys are just who they are. I hope I’m wrong, but it is starting to look like Philly was right about him.

CletusPyle
10-11-2021, 01:23 PM

I want to go on the record and say I also have a feeling that the Colts are going to show up tonight...their defense will be good enough, the offense just needs to get 21-24 points to win this game!

TheMugwump
10-11-2021, 01:30 PM
I want to go on the record and say I also have a feeling that the Colts are going to show up tonight...their defense will be good enough, the offense just needs to get 21-24 points to win this game!

Ravens will put up more than 40 on this defense, so to win, we need six touchdowns.

CletusPyle
10-11-2021, 01:36 PM
Ravens will put up more than 40 on this defense, so to win, we need six touchdowns.

You know what this means....one of us is going to be very wrong tonight!:eek:

CaliColtsFan
10-11-2021, 03:08 PM
What did Jacob Eason do to get demoted so quickly? Was it the interception he threw against the Rams? I mean that was a tough situation for a young, inexperienced QB!

Racehorse
10-11-2021, 03:29 PM
What did Jacob Eason do to get demoted so quickly? Was it the interception he threw against the Rams? I mean that was a tough situation for a young, inexperienced QB!

Dude probably used a blue font at size 4.5

Colts And Orioles
10-11-2021, 03:59 PM
The Ravens will put up more than 40 on this defense, so to win, we need 6 touchdowns.

o

Remember When: Star FB Ernie Nevers Scores 40 Points in a Single Game

(By Josh Katzowitz)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/remember-when-star-fb-ernie-nevers-scores-40-points-in-1929/

https://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/ernie-nevers-news-11292013.jpg

o

CaliColtsFan
10-11-2021, 04:03 PM

:(

Racehorse
10-11-2021, 04:05 PM
:(

Just ribbing you. It’s not your fault we are all old guys with bad eyes.

Chaka
10-11-2021, 04:31 PM
I continue to be confused by the Wentz detractors – is there something he’s done with the Colts to deserve all the negativity? This all seemed to start when he played hurt (and admittedly not very well) in the Titans game, but I find it hard to be critical of him for that – the guy was plainly gutting it out.

Take that game away, and by my calculations all the guy has done is throw for a 5-1 TD-INT ratio in three games, and complete 69 of 101 passes for 726 yards (68.3% completion ration, 7.2 YPA). All the while dodging a constant flood of onrushing defenders. Spread over a 17-game schedule, that’s the equivalent of a 28-6 TD-INT ratio, and would result in over 4,100 yards passing. It’s not too far off from his 2017-2019 production level (avg 34 TD-9 INT, 4400 Yds adjusted for 17-game season). Maybe I'm crazy, but it stands to reason that he’d do even better with a functioning offensive line, but so far we haven’t gotten to see that.

Based upon the season so far, I don’t see how Wentz has demonstrated that he’s an obstacle to the Colts’ success so far, or any reason to think that he can’t be an asset to a successful team (or, for that matter, that there was a better option this last offseason). Yes, it sucks that he’s apparently an anti-vaxxer, but I don’t think the criticism of his on-field play is warranted.

Hoopsdoc
10-11-2021, 05:30 PM
I continue to be confused by the Wentz detractors – is there something he’s done with the Colts to deserve all the negativity? This all seemed to start when he played hurt (and admittedly not very well) in the Titans game, but I find it hard to be critical of him for that – the guy was plainly gutting it out.

Take that game away, and by my calculations all the guy has done is throw for a 5-1 TD-INT ratio in three games, and complete 69 of 101 passes for 726 yards (68.3% completion ration, 7.2 YPA). All the while dodging a constant flood of onrushing defenders. Spread over a 17-game schedule, that’s the equivalent of a 28-6 TD-INT ratio, and would result in over 4,100 yards passing. It’s not too far off from his 2017-2019 production level (avg 34 TD-9 INT, 4400 Yds adjusted for 17-game season). Maybe I'm crazy, but it stands to reason that he’d do even better with a functioning offensive line, but so far we haven’t gotten to see that.

Based upon the season so far, I don’t see how Wentz has demonstrated that he’s an obstacle to the Colts’ success so far, or any reason to think that he can’t be an asset to a successful team (or, for that matter, that there was a better option this last offseason). Yes, it sucks that he’s apparently an anti-vaxxer, but I don’t think the criticism of his on-field play is warranted.

Well said.

I’m not sure Wentz is the long term answer at quarterback but he’s sure as hell not been the problem so far. He’s actually been really good for the most part.

omahacolt
10-11-2021, 06:15 PM
this is clearly the reason

CaliColtsFan
10-11-2021, 06:33 PM
Cya.

Too many mean people here for me.

smitty46953
10-11-2021, 06:57 PM
Cya.

Don't let the idiots here bother you, more good here than bad... :cool:

PowayColt
10-11-2021, 07:24 PM
Cya.

Noooo. Don't go. We need more Cali fans here. I'm in San Diego. Getting ready for the Monday nighter in an hour. Please Colts don't screw this up.

JAFF
10-11-2021, 07:41 PM
And members wonder why new people dont stick around

Brylok
10-11-2021, 07:46 PM

Ha!

CletusPyle
10-11-2021, 07:58 PM
And members wonder why new people dont stick around

I'm pretty sure he was just kidding....they were making fun of the font he used.:confused:

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-01-2021, 03:19 PM
The Colts have released Hundley. Ehlinger is officially now the backup QB.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1455248649596907530

Colts have released QB Brett Hundley, so the backup is now QB Sam Ehlinger. This was in the works for a few weeks. Could always bring Hundley back to the PS.

Team also promoted RB Deon Jackson and new S Josh Jones to the active roster.

Chromeburn
11-01-2021, 04:34 PM

No one really knows. But one of the knocks on him going back to college was he didn’t know the playbook. And if he didn’t know it here after a year and a half then he would be gone. They won’t tolerate laziness.

rm1369
11-01-2021, 04:57 PM
No one really knows. But one of the knocks on him going back to college was he didn’t know the playbook. And if he didn’t know it here after a year and a half then he would be gone. They won’t tolerate laziness.

My only question is if he didn’t know the playbook, shouldn’t they have already known that we’ll before game 2?

Spike
11-01-2021, 05:17 PM

It's either laziness or he just isn't a very smart person. If Sam E was helping him try to learn the playbook, that's one big ass red flag.

Glad they let Hundley go, he's useless. Rather see what Sam has, than a retread like Hundley.

Chromeburn
11-01-2021, 05:19 PM
My only question is if he didn’t know the playbook, shouldn’t they have already known that we’ll before game 2?

Maybe, hard to fake that during camp if you’re taking all the snaps. Perhaps he didn’t prepare for the game and didn’t know the wrinkles they put in place that week. Either way, I don’t think it was his performance, I think it was something behind the scenes that got him in the doghouse.

YDFL Commish
11-01-2021, 07:40 PM
I was hoping that any roster moves would lead to Coutee playing on TNF.

I'm done with Dulin on offense.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-01-2021, 08:06 PM
I was hoping that any roster moves would lead to Coutee playing on TNF.

I'm done with Dulin on offense.

With TY Hilton being ruled out, I think Coutee will play in TNF. I would bet he is one of the two players elevated from the practice squad for Thursday's game.