PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Tidbits

Coltsalr
07-30-2017, 03:12 PM
As usual, a thread for training camp updates that probably don't warrant new threads:

Zak Keefer@zkeefer 20m20 minutes ago
First look at Colts o-line has Jack Mewhort moving to RG and Joe Haeg at LG. Makes sense: Mewhort could really help Le'Raven Clark on edge.

Interesting...

Coltsalr
07-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Blue HQ Media‏ @BlueHQMedia 25m25 minutes ago
First team offense goes three wide. Hilton, Moncrief, and Rogers are the guys currently. #Colts #ColtsCamp

Also interesting.

Dorsett seems like a potential, surprising/unsurprising camp cut.

apballin
07-30-2017, 07:07 PM
I was there and the highlight of the day was a pick 6 by Tevin Mitchel.

TY was TY, he looked great- Turbin looked to have some burst too

From what I saw, 1st team d on field of note-- Safeties Butler/Farley

MLB Jackson/Bostic

D Line- Al Woods was NT with Hankins and Ridgeway playing the ends

I'm sure all this will change when guys return but interesting to see what coaches think of these guys

Overall great experience nice to have practice at LOS as opposed to Anderson or Terre Haute out there baking in the sun on shitty bleachers

I had no idea who Mitchel was before today but I'm gonna keep an eye on him because the pick was beautiful and he ran it in high steppin and took the ball over to a young fan, watchout for this guy

omahacolt
07-30-2017, 07:50 PM
I am curious how mewhort does at rg

Hoopsdoc
07-30-2017, 08:45 PM
I am curious how mewhort does at rg

Seems like a good idea.

sherck
07-31-2017, 07:38 AM
RG is typically the "harder" of the two OG positions to play. Since most teams traditionally have put their best pass rusher to the offenses' left, you typically slide protection that direction often leaving the RT one-v-one on their guy and the RG one-v-one on their guy.

Obviously, that is an over-simplification but the LG typically is in more of a zone/gap protect duty or a double team duty than the RG.

Plus, obviously having a more experience RG to pair with a less experienced RT makes since just like pairing a more experienced LT with a less experienced LG.

If Philbin can work a 2nd year of magic with Haeg, Kelly and Clark, then I think our O-Line will be in pretty good shape for 2017.

Cheers,

FatDT
07-31-2017, 10:17 AM
Pairing two new linemen with two veterans, assuming the guards can both handle the switch, seems to make sense. Really depends on how well Mewhort does at RG I think, Haeg seems versatile enough to play almost anywhere, and should improve playing between Castonzo and Kelly.

FatDT
07-31-2017, 01:05 PM
I don't love Hankins at DT. I think it's a waste and a stupid idea. Pagano and Monachino getting to cute. We'll see.

Brylok
07-31-2017, 01:32 PM
I don't love Hankins at DT. I think it's a waste and a stupid idea. Pagano and Monachino getting to cute. We'll see.
Hankins is a NT. Play him at NT. Doesn't seem too hard.

njcoltfan
07-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Hankins is a NT. Play him at NT. Doesn't seem too hard.

You must have forgotten who is the Colts coach !!!

Indiana V2
07-31-2017, 09:47 PM

I would not be surprised to see Hankins get some reps at CB with Pagano.

DrSpaceman
08-01-2017, 08:32 AM
Hankins anywhere but NT is stupid.

We should start a yearly award for the worst move by the Colts. I would call them the Clappies, in honor of Pagano.

nate505
08-02-2017, 05:40 PM

One would need access to Irsay's stash to accomplish that feat.

sherck
08-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Training Camp Tidbits is right.

The real downside to a camp at the Colts complex? VERY little reporting about the day in and day out perceived performances of players. There is very little for fans to chew over.

I hope this is the only year that they do it at the Colts complex. This sucks.

Walk Worthy,

sherck
08-03-2017, 09:47 AM
So, because of the lack of camp observations, I went looking.

A very good Day 3 (Tuesday) camp report out of Stampede Blue (here (https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/1/16079046/camp-notes-colts-popping-pads-on-day-3-of-training-camp)).

Their opinion on the Hilton / V Davis tussel (here (https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/2/16087302/hilton-and-davis-camp-scuffle-just-competition-in-progress)).

Their preview of who they want to observe for Day 4 (Thursday) (here (https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/3/16088414/colts-camp-9-players-to-monitor-day-4)).

Wednesday was an off day for the players.

Walk Worthy,

Brylok
08-03-2017, 10:27 AM
So, because of the lack of camp observations, I went looking.

A very good Day 3 (Tuesday) camp report out of Stampede Blue (here (https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/1/16079046/camp-notes-colts-popping-pads-on-day-3-of-training-camp)).

Their opinion on the Hilton / V Davis tussel (here (https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/2/16087302/hilton-and-davis-camp-scuffle-just-competition-in-progress)).

Their preview of who they want to observe for Day 4 (Thursday) (here (https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/3/16088414/colts-camp-9-players-to-monitor-day-4)).

Wednesday was an off day for the players.

Walk Worthy,
Yeah, the TY vs Vontae "scrap" was completely scripted. Bogus. Pagano has resorted to professional wrestling-style tactics in order to try to push the narrative that the team isn't soft. I can't wait until that bozo is shown the door.

Dam8610
08-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Yeah, the TY vs Vontae "scrap" was completely scripted. Bogus. Pagano has resorted to professional wrestling-style tactics in order to try to push the narrative that the team isn't soft. I can't wait until that bozo is shown the door.

Wow, you guys will find literally ANY reason to hate on Pagano. Honestly, the inventiveness is impressive.

apballin
08-03-2017, 05:44 PM

It's hot as fuck and theyre preaching being competitive and physical. Why the fuck would he have his 2 best players scrapping?

Pagano aint going anywhere

omahacolt
08-03-2017, 06:12 PM
It's hot as fuck and theyre preaching being competitive and physical. Why the fuck would he have his 2 best players scrapping?

when did you become such a fanboy?

pagano fucking sucks balls and i agree that the "fighting" looks just like something pagano would do. fuck that guy

Brylok
08-03-2017, 07:43 PM
Wow, you guys will find literally ANY reason to hate on Pagano. Honestly, the inventiveness is impressive.
Listen to the audio. Does any of that sound real to you? Hell, at one point you can see Chuck smiling and laughing. I'm not trying to start a fight over it, but realistically...neither were they.

Brylok
08-03-2017, 07:49 PM

He's trying to show physicality and toughness and change the widespread perception that the Colts are a soft team. Right after that happened, the "no longer soft" narrative was spread all over official Colts media. I guess I understand desire to change the narrative, but the chosen method was nonsense.

apballin
08-04-2017, 05:00 PM
when did you become such a fanboy?

pagano fucking sucks balls and i agree that the "fighting" looks just like something pagano would do. fuck that guy

Not a fanboy but give the season a chance for fucks sake, no way that shit was setup. I'd say that's the response I want from my team after calling them soft

At the end of a shitty season ok I get it, but I'll never understand calling for the coaches job when were a fucking week into camp.

I mean honestly Colts get 10 wins or better and he's not going anywhere, and I think they'll do that this year

apballin
08-04-2017, 05:05 PM
He's trying to show physicality and toughness and change the widespread perception that the Colts are a soft team. Right after that happened, the "no longer soft" narrative was spread all over official Colts media. I guess I understand desire to change the narrative, but the chosen method was nonsense.

The shit wasn't fake, he(Vontae) got into it with TY then Dorsett went after him on the next play

yes no longer soft as in competition for positions and more physical practices

tell me the last time the Colts had a scrap at training camp?

Theyre being pushed and called pussies isn't that what we want the coach to do?

Brylok
08-06-2017, 05:15 PM
I'm still not buying it but whatever. Certainly not losing sleep over it.

apballin
08-08-2017, 08:48 PM
I'm still not buying it but whatever. Certainly not losing sleep over it.

Indystar saying "Most physical camp under Pagano"

or maybe the tackling in full pads was more wwe shit from Pagano

YDFL Commish
08-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Maybe this deserves it's own thread...but whatever?

Kevin Bowen has been fired from the Colts.

https://twitter.com/KBowenColts/status/895051316405436416

Now we will get even less training camp info? WTF!

Brylok
08-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Ryan Kelly injured somehow. He left practice on crutches. Uh-oh. :eek:

rcubed
08-10-2017, 04:40 PM
he just needs to be back before luck is.

HoosierinFL
08-10-2017, 09:26 PM

Word is foot injury and may miss a few weeks, but has a chance to be back in time for Week 1.

Indiana V2
08-10-2017, 10:18 PM
So the Andrew Luck injury front has been very quiet, is it the Colts trying to keep a poker face?

VeveJones007
08-10-2017, 10:59 PM
So the Andrew Luck injury front has been very quiet, is it the Colts trying to keep a poker face?

We won't hear anything until he throws a football or goes back under the knife.

Racehorse
08-11-2017, 07:04 AM
We won't hear anything until he throws a football or goes back under the knife.

Yeah, it could be a case of "no news is good news".

DrSpaceman
08-11-2017, 08:57 AM
My expectations for the season are diminishing day by day.

Brylok
08-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Denzelle Good left practice early with some type of injury.

Racehorse
08-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Denzelle Good left practice early with some type of injury.

Not Good

FatDT
08-11-2017, 12:24 PM
With Kelly and Schwenke unavailable, who takes reps at center? This sucks.

Brylok
08-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Deyshawn Bond...whoever that is.

Racehorse
08-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Tom Simpson?

Dewey 5
08-11-2017, 01:52 PM
My expectations for the season are diminishing day by day.

Pagano will once again play the injury card to save his job.

Coltsalr
08-11-2017, 02:03 PM
“From what I understand, he should be available ...” That's Reggie Wayne on QB Andrew Luck for Week 1. indystar.com/story/sports/n…
via @zkeefer

apballin
08-11-2017, 09:24 PM
JMV said today he heard worst case scenario he misses 2 games

DrSpaceman
08-11-2017, 09:32 PM
JMV said today he heard worst case scenario he misses 2 games

Luck or Kelly?

Or both

apballin
08-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Luck or Kelly?

Or both

Luck

Voosh
08-15-2017, 04:54 PM
George Bremer‏ @gmbremer 55m55 minutes ago

TJ Green said Coach Pagano asked him if he'd like to play corner an hour before practice. He said yes, and it happened.

Apparently, Green practiced at CB today.

apballin
08-15-2017, 06:36 PM

TJ Green said Coach Pagano asked him if he'd like to play corner an hour before practice. He said yes, and it happened.

Great move because at safety he doesn't make the team

Coltsalr
08-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Great move because at safety he doesn't make the team

Is Safety at all a better fit for him?

He's pretty much speed only. That's a poor fit at Safety, but I also don't see any coverage skills from him. A guy that runs like the wind, but doesn't have good coverage skills obviously doesn't work at CB, either.

Honestly, his best shot might be some team giving him a shot as a project guy to convert him back to WR.

omahacolt
08-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Green will be cut. They are trying anything to make him useful

Butter
08-15-2017, 07:52 PM
I can only guess that in our system at CB he has less to focus on at CB and hope he finds something there. I have strong doubts but might as well give it a shot.

natagu23
08-15-2017, 09:33 PM

Called this shit last year.

He played CB a bit in college so it's not completely foreign to him.

DrSpaceman
08-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Maybe they can just make him a special teams player and rush linebacker/corner of some weird hybrid.

I don't see him making the team though. If you can't cover, moving someone to corner isn't helping

Racehorse
08-16-2017, 09:23 AM

I'm shocked that he did it an hour before practice instead of an hour before kickoff in a crucial game. Kind of like the stupid punt formation in a close game against the Cheaters.

Baby steps

apballin
08-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Green will be cut. They are trying anything to make him useful

He's not getting cut, he'll be a great dimeCB/ ST player

IndyNorm
08-16-2017, 07:32 PM
I'm shocked that he did it an hour before practice instead of an hour before kickoff in a crucial game. Kind of like the stupid punt formation in a close game against the Cheaters.

Baby steps

No doubt. The Clappy McWoodchopper we all know would have tried to make this switch during the 1st half 2 minute warning of a tie game. Maybe the dipshit is finally learning something.

Of course as everyone else has pointed out this won't work out. If a guy can't cover as a safety no way he can as a CB. You'd think with his size and speed he'd make at least a good ST'er.......

Butter
08-16-2017, 08:47 PM
He's not getting cut, he'll be a great dimeCB/ ST player

I hope so, but that is pretty mediocre for a 2nd round draft pick.

apballin
08-17-2017, 08:11 PM
I hope so, but that is pretty mediocre for a 2nd round draft pick.

Once Hooker fell into our lap greens chance to develop at safety went out the window

omahacolt
08-17-2017, 09:43 PM
He's not getting cut, he'll be a great dimeCB/ ST player or a corner. He is an athlete not a football player

No he won't. He will never be a great st's player

apballin
08-18-2017, 08:59 PM
No he won't. He will never be a great st's player

One thing he's not afraid to do is run and hit, he's got a place on this team