PDA

View Full Version : Good article on Erik Swoope's 2016 season

sherck
07-27-2017, 08:33 AM
Located here (http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/15569/can-indianapolis-colts-tight-end-erik-swoope-be-this-year-s-jack-doyle).

I have never heard of NumberFire before but I like how they did this analysis.

Bottom line is that Erik looked like a seasoned veteran last last year in some of those clips rather than a guy who has only played organized football at any level for 3 years. As the only slogan says, he has come a long way, baby.

We have our primary pass catching targets in Hilton, Doyle and Moncrief.

After that, some combo of Swoope, Aiken, Dorsett, Rogers and Gore/Turbin/Mack out of the backfield should suck up most of the rest of the targets.

There is an embarrassment of riches in those lists. I know that most national sports writers don't see it because they are not first round draft choices (except Dorsett whom has disappointed so far) but I have a ton of confidence in guys like Moncrief, Doyle Swoope, Rogers and Turbin. They are not our "starters" or "studs" but those guys are what makes an offense zoom.

Anyway, I agree that there is a reason that Ballard did not draft any TEs in a very TE heavy draft and that is because Swoope looks like he belongs and can excel.

Cheers,

omahacolt
07-27-2017, 11:57 AM
I am trying to keep my expectations low for him but I think the dude could have a great year.

sherck
07-27-2017, 12:28 PM
I am trying to keep my expectations low for him but I think the dude could have a great year.
That is like one of the first positive things you have said about the Colts in months!! Well done.

Now, I will have to wait another 4 months before you say anything nice again.

The wait continues.....

Cheers,

Dam8610
07-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Here's hoping Swoope follows in the footsteps of Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham.

DrSpaceman
07-27-2017, 02:55 PM
I just want him to be successful so Colts fans can chant : "Swoope, there it is!!" When he scores a TD

Dam8610
07-27-2017, 06:53 PM
I just want him to be successful so Colts fans can chant : "Swoope, there it is!!" When he scores a TD

I assure you I will never do that.

testcase448
07-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Who is going to throw it to them?
They've done gotten Luck broken down

Dewey 5
07-27-2017, 11:18 PM
Here's hoping Swoope follows in the footsteps of Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham.

I would settle with him being the next Marcus Pollard.

Butter
07-27-2017, 11:56 PM

I agree!

sherck
07-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Erik Swoope being Marcus Pollard to Jack Doyle being Ken Dilger is a pretty good parallel. One is ultra athletic and can stretch the field and the other is the meat and potatoes guys who can do it all.

If Swoope can become that guy in 2017, our offense will be hitting on a lot of cylinders.

Cheers,

Hoopsdoc
07-28-2017, 12:23 PM

Isn't it pronounced "swope"?
Seems like I thought it was for some reason.

Discflinger
07-29-2017, 01:19 PM
Boy, I hoope not.

ukcolt
08-01-2017, 08:30 AM
I am also having to try to contain my expectations from Swoope as a receiving threat. But where i think i have my biggest issues is how much of a liability he might be in pass protection. I have hopes that he could become a legitimate match-up nightmare down the middle of the field for defenses.

If Doyle were to miss any game time i don't have any issues with Swoope picking up the slack as a receiver (actually i suspect even though he will be the No. 2 TE he will end up with considerably more yards than Doyle this season anyway), but it is that our 3rd TE would probably have to move up to the No. 1 slot as the blocking TE, which clearly would make the offense far more predictable. Doyle is a player who has performed brilliantly and is an all around TE, who just does his job but isn't going to be considered to be the best at either aspect of the role in the NFL, but he gives the offense so much variety in the playbook.

If both stay healthy i am very happy with our TE's and expect to get outstanding production from them this season.

omahacolt
08-01-2017, 04:51 PM
That is like one of the first positive things you have said about the Colts in months!! Well done.

Now, I will have to wait another 4 months before you say anything nice again.

The wait continues.....

Cheers,
go ahead and hold your breath